Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DFEB9684-3723-46F5-8BA0-7B46ED4B438B (resized).jpeg
9E7B3CE0-3E68-4D85-9ECE-669683A86128 (resized).jpeg
DE24E1A4-A0AB-4A40-8E23-7CEF6CE777D7 (resized).jpeg
20180609_150412 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Hey guys and gals. Got (what I was told) was most likely the very last brand NIB Premium left back in March of this year from a distributor in Colorado. Since that time, the F7 magnet fuse has blown twice. The machine has the updated magnet board based on my serial number, so I don't think that's the issue. I have visually verified it. I am experiencing no problems with the hammer or anything that has previously been reported. None that I've seen anyway. The machine is playing perfectly except the F7 fuse has blown twice and I can't find a reason. Also, the plunger that keeps the balls captive in the coffin started acting up yesterday. Turned on the machine and it kept cycling uncommanded for nearly a minute, then stopped all by itself. Something strange is going on. I'm wondering if the coffin/hammer magnet is getting too hot or is faulty. I can imagine if the magnet is in "sense" mode for too long, waiting for the ball to roll across it, it will heat up and blow the fuse but I'm not 100% sure on that. I've found a few threads on the F7 blowing for others, but it was all related to the older magnet processor board. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

#2 5 years ago

Mine did occasionally. Replaced the 4amp Slow Blow fuse with a 5amp (something like that), much like the ring magnet from Lord of the Rings. Problem solved.

Don't quote me though. Check those other help threads. Worked for me.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Mine did occasionally. Replaced the 4amp Slow Blow fuse with a 5amp (something like that), much like the ring magnet from Lord of the Rings. Problem solved.
Don't quote me though. Check those other help threads. Worked for me.

Thank you.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Zenomorp:

Hey guys and gals. Got (what I was told) was most likely the very last brand NIB Premium left back in March of this year from a distributor in Colorado. Since that time, the F7 magnet fuse has blown twice. The machine has the updated magnet board based on my serial number, so I don't think that's the issue. I have visually verified it. I am experiencing no problems with the hammer or anything that has previously been reported. None that I've seen anyway. The machine is playing perfectly except the F7 fuse has blown twice and I can't find a reason. Also, the plunger that keeps the balls captive in the coffin started acting up yesterday. Turned on the machine and it kept cycling uncommanded for nearly a minute, then stopped all by itself. Something strange is going on. I'm wondering if the coffin/hammer magnet is getting too hot or is faulty. I can imagine if the magnet is in "sense" mode for too long, waiting for the ball to roll across it, it will heat up and blow the fuse but I'm not 100% sure on that. I've found a few threads on the F7 blowing for others, but it was all related to the older magnet processor board. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

The one we had kept blowing the magnet board itself. After swapping three magnet boards over a year they finally swapped the CPU board and the problem went away.

#5 5 years ago

How you gone into switch test mode to see if any switches are a little flaky? The plunger sounds like one of the optos under the subway is not working properly. Doubt it's the problem with the fuse but it could be a contributing factor.

Their is a setting for how long it will be in "sense" mode which can be adjusted. You can easily test this with the glass off. Start a game with the sound down/off and manually activate the hammer feature by hitting the captive ball with another ball in your hand. When lock is lit hit it again and listen for the humm (the sense mode). See how long it last. Should only be on for a second or two. If it stays on constantly that would blow a fuse.

Another thing to check, and sounds silly, but is the magnet core clean? If it has some metal flakes on it that can cause issues as well.

I wouldn't go with a larger fuse at this point. Their is a reason yours is blowing and that should be found first. My hunch is it's something wrong with the magnet sense feature staying on to long.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I wouldn't go with a larger fuse at this point. Their is a reason yours is blowing and that should be found first. My hunch is it's something wrong with the magnet sense feature staying on to long.

Or the resistance on the magnet coil changing. Have you ohmed out the coil to see what the resistance is?

#7 5 years ago

Thanks guys. Didn’t plan on upping the fuse to 5a since there is a reason it’s blowing. I was unaware the sense is on a timer. I’ll do the test to listen for how long it lasts and report back. One question though, if I lower the amount of time it’s activated, and the ball goes across the magnet after it’s deactivated, will the magnet still grab the ball?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Zenomorp:

Thanks guys. Didn’t plan on upping the fuse to 5a since there is a reason it’s blowing. I was unaware the sense is on a timer. I’ll do the test to listen for how long it lasts and report back. One question though, if I lower the amount of time it’s activated, and the ball goes across the magnet after it’s deactivated, will the magnet still grab the ball?

No, it will not. You will have to hit the captive ball again. I believe, and could be wrong, that their are two different timers. One that is a short length (less than a second) that is a strung grab attempt and another that is not as strong that last for a couple of seconds (or a number of switch hits).

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

How you gone into switch test mode to see if any switches are a little flaky? The plunger sounds like one of the optos under the subway is not working properly. Doubt it's the problem with the fuse but it could be a contributing factor.
Their is a setting for how long it will be in "sense" mode which can be adjusted. You can easily test this with the glass off. Start a game with the sound down/off and manually activate the hammer feature by hitting the captive ball with another ball in your hand. When lock is lit hit it again and listen for the humm (the sense mode). See how long it last. Should only be on for a second or two. If it stays on constantly that would blow a fuse.
Another thing to check, and sounds silly, but is the magnet core clean? If it has some metal flakes on it that can cause issues as well.

Went through all the menus (standard/feature/game) and don’t see an adjustment for the sense timer anywhere. Also, the sense appears to be active for an infinite amount of time until a ball goes across the magnet pad. I let it run for nearly a minute and didn’t want to run the risk of the fuse blowing again, so I gave it a ball to hammer down. The machine only has 1.64 code so I’m going to update it to 1.70 and see if that affects anything.

#10 5 years ago

So I may have stumbled upon the solution/cause. I have a playfield protector installed on this machine. The Grave Marker and Hammer magnets have cutouts for them. The Electric Chair did not. I noticed that the plastic in the area above the magnet for the chair was warped and raised a bit. The ball ended up sitting on the edge/rim of the magnet instead of dead center like it’s supposed to and the magnet was working overtime to try and hold the ball.

I guess the heat or some other unknown factor caused the plastic over the chair magnet to warp and allow the ball to sit on the rim vs the center of the magnet. So I took a sharp razor and cut out the plastic around the chair magnet. Now the ball sits dead Center when the magnet is energized. I’m thinking this might be the solution to the issue. Will report back if the fuse does not hold. Thanks everyone.

#11 5 years ago

Here is the setting that should turn the pulse off. The next couple are the timers. In game feature adjustments.

20180609_150412 (resized).jpg20180609_150412 (resized).jpg
#12 5 years ago

Thank you!

1 week later
#13 5 years ago

So it’s getting worse. The coffin magnet is hot as hell, the fuse blows within a few seconds, and it reads 13.87M ohm across the magnet coil. Making changes to the pulse, etc does nothing and the magnet test does not work in the menu. Sparky magnet works fine. So do I have a bad magnet coil or a bad magnet control board? It should also be noted that I have a technician alert regarding the magnet but I’ll be damned if I can find switch 63. Is that the magnet itself?
DE24E1A4-A0AB-4A40-8E23-7CEF6CE777D7 (resized).jpegDE24E1A4-A0AB-4A40-8E23-7CEF6CE777D7 (resized).jpeg

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Zenomorp:

So it’s getting worse. The coffin magnet is hot as hell, the fuse blows within a few seconds, and it reads 13.87M ohm across the magnet coil. Making changes to the pulse, etc does nothing and the magnet test does not work in the menu. Sparky magnet works fine. So do I have a bad magnet coil or a bad magnet control board? It should also be noted that I have a technician alert regarding the magnet but I’ll be damned if I can find switch 63. Is that the magnet itself?

13.87 is wrong. If I remember right it should be around 30, maybe someone with a good coil can verify. Sounds like a bad magnet coil. If you've unplugged the magnet coil to test the resistance, the magnet board will not have anything to do with that.

I believe that switch is the ball sense that happens when the ball goes over the core in the playfield. The magnet board may have blown out and that sense doesn't work anymore, but that's a separate issue.

Have fun replacing the magnet coil on that assembly on Metallica - it's a bitch to get out.

#15 5 years ago

So after letting the magnet cool for 24 hours, it reads 4.7ohm. So it’s most likely ok. I turned my attention to the control board. Tested every component on the board that I could. Everything passed except Q2. It’s dead shorted. I have a whole new board on the way from Stern, but in the mean time, I’m going to replace this transistor and see if that gets me going again. If so, then I gotta figure out why the sense runs forever until a ball runs across the magnet.

It was mentioned that it’s only supposed to run for a few seconds but this machine ran it forever until a ball went across the magnet. That very well could have been what caused the issue but is the firmware in the control board responsible for that? If the new control board does the same thing, will turning off the sense disable the coffin lock/magnet all together?

9E7B3CE0-3E68-4D85-9ECE-669683A86128 (resized).jpeg9E7B3CE0-3E68-4D85-9ECE-669683A86128 (resized).jpegDFEB9684-3723-46F5-8BA0-7B46ED4B438B (resized).jpegDFEB9684-3723-46F5-8BA0-7B46ED4B438B (resized).jpeg

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Zenomorp:

So after letting the magnet cool for 24 hours, it reads 4.7ohm. So it’s most likely ok. I turned my attention to the control board. Tested every component on the board that I could. Everything passed except Q2. It’s dead shorted. I have a whole new board on the way from Stern, but in the mean time, I’m going to replace this transistor and see if that gets me going again. If so, then I gotta figure out why the sense runs forever until a ball runs across the magnet.
It was mentioned that it’s only supposed to run for a few seconds but this machine ran it forever until a ball went across the magnet. That very well could have been what caused the issue but is the firmware in the control board responsible for that? If the new control board does the same thing, will turning off the sense disable the coffin lock/magnet all together?

Yes, if you disable the sense, the coffin lock is disabled and the locks become virtual. Sucks.

Did you ask Stern what the resistance on that coil is supposed to be? I have one in my pile of magnet boards (from when my CPU board was blowing magnet boards left and right) and it's marked "Bad" with a resistance of 4.3ohm.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yes, if you disable the sense, the coffin lock is disabled and the locks become virtual. Sucks.
Did you ask Stern what the resistance on that coil is supposed to be? I have one in my pile of magnet boards (from when my CPU board was blowing magnet boards left and right) and it's marked "Bad" with a resistance of 4.3ohm.

So the CPU board could be the cause? Hmm. Great. No, I haven’t asked them but it reads the same as the other two magnets (appx 4.5ohm).

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Zenomorp:

So the CPU board could be the cause? Hmm. Great. No, I haven’t asked them but it reads the same as the other two magnets (appx 4.5ohm).

I blew 3 or 4 magnet boards in about a year or year and a half. Eventually they decided maybe the CPU board was causing the problem. Changed that out and haven't blown one since. That was well over a year ago.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I blew 3 or 4 magnet boards in about a year or year and a half. Eventually they decided maybe the CPU board was causing the problem. Changed that out and haven't blown one since. That was well over a year ago.

Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 12.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-premium-blowing-f7?hl=guinnesstime and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.