(Topic ID: 47717)

Metallica Premium 1 vs Premium 2 Cabinet: Which Do You Prefer?

By RobT

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by eggbert52
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which Cabinet Art Do You Prefer Between the Premium Versions?”

• I Prefer the cabinet art on Premium version 2 (Pro cabinet) 84 votes
    49%
  • I Prefer the cabinet art on the original Premium (crate look) 70 votes
    41%
  • Close call, could go with either. 18 votes
    10%

(172 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images-2.jpg
images-1.jpg
metallica3.JPG
metallica-prem.JPG
justice-for-all-album-cover.preview.jpg
61rJgD0G3SL._SL500_.jpg
Metallica_PRO_playfield_webready.jpg
Metallica_PREMIUM_playfield_webready.jpg
premium_with_pro_cab_+translite.jpg
Metallica-Premium2-MU-01a.jpeg
MET.JPG
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Seems like most people really like the artwork on the pro and premium 2 cabinet better than the art on the original premium version. I personally prefer the look of the cabinet on the original Premium version. Hate the original translite though. I've added a photoshop version of the Premium 1 (thanks Bojo) with the Premium 2 translite.

Which version do you prefer between the two?

Remember, this is about the cabinet, not the translite.

MET.JPGMET.JPG Metallica-Premium2-MU-01a.jpegMetallica-Premium2-MU-01a.jpeg

#2 11 years ago

Dang think we did this at the same time LOL I have a poll too...had a few more options.

#3 11 years ago

Top picture for me, the overall package just looks very cool.

#4 11 years ago

Top one for me all the way

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Buckman:

Top one for me, the overall package just looks very cool.

Top poll or top picture ? Top picture for me and bottom poll I voted .

#6 11 years ago

We should do a poll on which is the best looking of the three LE/Premium models in general. I think the new premium is better than the MOP.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

We should do a poll on which is the best looking of the three LE/Premium models in general. I think the new premium is better than the MOP.

+1
Premium 2 is one of the best looking cabs that stearn has ever made.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I have that poll Accidently set it up same time as this one, great minds think alike I guess

#9 11 years ago

P.S. have a feeling this may look different in person too.

#10 11 years ago

Pro cab looks like someone "puked the rainbow" of skittles on it.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

Thank you.

Exactly how I feel.

Like Mandelbloom said, though, it could look different (better?) in person?

#12 11 years ago

where's the option the pro cab with the pro translite? the new premium translite doesn't beat the pro translite with the pro cab but a lot better than the original premium translite thats for sure.

it's nice that we have a lot of choices. something for everyone!

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

Yes, but the pro cabinet matches the playfield colors and art the best.

#14 11 years ago

as for the new premium translite it looks better with the first premium cabinet, makes more sense. less blue.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Top poll or top picture ? Top picture for me and bottom poll I voted .

I meant to say the top picture and bottom poll for the vote, same as yourself (I edited my post, makes more sense now)!

#16 11 years ago

I love that new release art

#17 11 years ago

MOP still is the best IMHO, but I'd be happy with the DD premium!

#18 11 years ago

Can anyone mock up a photo of the premium playfield in a pro cabinet with pro translite? I suspect that will have the most cohesive look.

Someone has already done the cabinet view, but how about the playfield/translite combination view?

#19 11 years ago

Isn't the original premium artwork based on the Live Binge & Purge box set or is it supposed to be a tour crate? It looks kind of drab to me, but I think it's the contrast the cab and trans had with the pf that's makes it an odd choice.....kind of like the IJ at disney where they made the cabinet a crate prop.....which was cool but had the same issue.

#20 11 years ago

I'm still going with The Captain and Tennille.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm still going with The Captain and Tennille.

#22 11 years ago

Can anyone mock up a photo of the premium playfield in a pro cabinet with pro translite? I suspect that will have the most cohesive look.
Someone has already done the cabinet view, but how about the playfield/translite combination view?

here.

premium_with_pro_cab_+translite.jpgpremium_with_pro_cab_+translite.jpg

#23 11 years ago

Truth be told, I really like the side armour on Premium #1, but it may not look right on #2.

#24 11 years ago

Can someone tell me why 2 premiums were made??? Like why not pump out 5,6,7?? Meh too many versions imo...

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Can someone tell me why 2 premiums were made???

So we could get over yesterdays debacle, quickly!

#26 11 years ago

there is no armor thats just the decal

My thoughts....

Premium 1 cab with new trans has a more suddle but smooth look
Premium 2 cab and trans matches the theme the best(even better than MOPLE)

MOPLE may still win because its a mirrored backglass, wish we could order backglass versions of these I would! There's and idea for someone to make $$

I have a MOP LE on order via Metallica so dont think it will get pulled but I am very very much considering getting the Premium instead. Its the same game, I am not a flipper though I do go through games quickly so not opposed to making $$ rather than losing But I just want a game I am happy with. Heck the pro is not half bad at all!

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Seems like most people really like the artwork on the pro and premium 2 cabinet better than the art on the original premium version. I personally prefer the look of the cabinet on the original Premium version. Hate the original translite though. I've added a photoshop version of the Premium 1 (thanks Bojo) with the Premium 2 translite.
Which version do you prefer between the two?
Remember, this is about the cabinet, not the translite.

I really like the tour crate art on the Premium, it screamed Metallica and was instantly recognizable. I was not a fan of the original Premium translite, but I don't think the Dirty Donnie stuff is anything special at all. The colors on the Pro cab seem way off to me. Nothing there, besides the name, looks like it has anything to do with Metallica. You could swap the word Metallica with the word Avengers, just seems way too interchangeable IMO.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I really like the tour crate art on the Premium, it screamed Metallica and was instantly recognizable. I was not a fan of the original Premium translite, but I don't think the Dirty Donnie stuff is anything special at all. The colors on the Pro cab seem way off to me. Nothing there, besides the name, looks like it has anything to do with Metallica. You could swap the word Metallica with the word Avengers, just seems way too interchangeable IMO.

their star logo in the top left, skuls are kinda hard core I am not really a "Metallica" fan per say...but I do like their music and if I am goign to listen to Metal then they are my #1 choice..also think the music is perfect for pinball. Well most if it.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

like this ?

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

there is no armor thats just the decal

Sure fooled me!

#31 11 years ago

Too bad they just don't make a Dirty Donny machine and get rid of the Metallica part.

A Duane Eddy or surf guitar backed machine would be much more enjoyable.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

their star logo in the top left, skuls are kinda hard core I am not really a "Metallica" fan per say...but I do like their music and if I am goign to listen to Metal then they are my #1 choice..also think the music is perfect for pinball. Well most if it.

I know those are, I was referring to the cabinet, not the backbox. And like someone else already put it, I am not a fan of the "taste the rainbow" skittles color scheme. That would be better off on a WOZ than Metallica.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from BagAJellyDonuts:

A Duane Eddy or surf guitar

More old farts

#34 11 years ago

Surf guitar update

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

like this ? » YouTube video

that never gets old......(:

#36 11 years ago

Both premiums look good to me, but I like the Donny one better. Why no side armor on the premiums, like on AC/DC Premium? More cost-cutting?

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Nothing there, besides the name, looks like it has anything to do with Metallica. You could swap the word Metallica with the word Avengers,

Exactly, this is a Dirty Donny/Sparky pinball with music brought to you by Metallica. About as close as we're getting to an original theme. That's why I like the new Dirty Donny edition, it's the most original, interesting and cohesive. Really hoping this game knocks it out of the park so I can pick one up.

#38 11 years ago

Thanks Beatmaster. Yes, that's the cabinet/translite view.

I would really like to see the playfield/translite view as well, because I think the colors of the premium/LE playfield match the Pro translite the best.

Premium Playfield
Metallica_PREMIUM_playfield_webready.jpgMetallica_PREMIUM_playfield_webready.jpg

Pro Playfield
Metallica_PRO_playfield_webready.jpgMetallica_PRO_playfield_webready.jpg

Perhaps it's just the lighting that makes the colors look different.

#39 11 years ago

I hope Sparky has a stobe or flashing effect like Afm. That would be a home run.

Both look good. Tour case is more realistic. Would look good in living room. The other in my kids playroom.

Again Sterns pictures never do it justice. As I learned with Acdc cabinet. Looks way better in person.

#40 11 years ago

Proof is in the painting.

#41 11 years ago

The art on the play field and the toys are definitely cool! The rainbow vomit package.... not so much. It's way overstimulating, tasteless and looks like a bunch of children fought a war with fluorescent paint. I think the attachments show that the premium will say "Metallica" more than the cheap semi-underground art. I give them credit for initially putting that on the pro and leaving MOP and "Road Case" the more tasteful and exclusive pins. Now, well that's just ruined. Sad. I Have no problem with Stern supplying a demand. I see that the Pro art was well liked. I blame it on the poor translight choice for the premium. I can't believe the masses find that bubble gum like cartoon art package on a music pin attractive. They should have made it limited for the serious connoisseur.

I understand the band likes it and approves of it but I just think that's an excuse to do less work and just "approve" it. "Just hand it to Donny, He'll take care of it... The REAL fans will get it. Yeah!"

In summary. I like the band and layout looks nice. I think the cabinet art is way overdone and confusing to the casual fan. I think the pin looks way more promising than the last few and I'll take that. Again...art on cabinet/translight... Overdone.

Premium 1 for me.

61rJgD0G3SL._SL500_.jpg61rJgD0G3SL._SL500_.jpg justice-for-all-album-cover.preview.jpgjustice-for-all-album-cover.preview.jpg

Post edited by FiveSixPyro

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

Then that should work for most Pinsiders, who generally like to flood their machines with rainbow puke colors via LEDs.

#43 11 years ago

This totally works for me:

metallica-prem.JPGmetallica-prem.JPG

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

I am trying to get this thru a distributor.

#45 11 years ago

How about something like this...

metallica3.JPGmetallica3.JPG

#46 11 years ago

Premium 2 all the way

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

Me too.

Can't get into the Skittles colored cabinet on the pro and Premium 2

#48 11 years ago

Difficult to decide, I want to see both alive to give the final decision

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Can't get into the Skittles colored cabinet on the pro and Premium 2

The reason I like it is that in a lineup you wont see much of it anyway. The more pop the more the little bit that is seen tends to strike folks.

#50 11 years ago

I'll wait and see it in person first.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-premium-1-vs-premium-2-cabinet-which-do-you-prefer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.