(Topic ID: 111273)

Metallica pop bumper going off randomly on it's own. Fix?

By Minneapolispin

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hey all -need your help with my Metallica Pro.

I just turned it on to play a game and noticed that one of the pop bumpers (top left) is randomly going off during the game (causing points to score). There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it, but it mainly seems to coincide with a ball hitting a bumper, flipper shot, or some other vibration.

Any idea on a cause and how to fix this? I've had this game for about 5 months and it's played flawlessly until just now. Thanks in advance!

#2 9 years ago

Switch probably too tight/sensitive. Lift the PF and check it out.

#3 9 years ago

^^^ Seconded

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Switch probably too tight/sensitive. Lift the PF and check it out.

+1. Check the switch

#5 9 years ago

I got under the hood tonight to look at the pop bumper switches. All three looked the same and I couldn't really tell what to fiddle with (meaning I couldn't see any noticeable difference with the one causing problems). The strange thing is that while the glass was removed, I played a game and no more random popping, so I thought I must have jiggled something right. I put the glass back on, start a game, and boom -same random popping from that one bumper. UGH...

#6 9 years ago

Switch test mode, does the switch flicker on off? What if you tap on the playfield near the pop?

#8 9 years ago

If I recall correctly, there should be a leaf switch similar to the flippers. The center of the underside of the pop bumpers has a plastic pole, which comes down into a plastic round cup, which pushes down on one of the two metal tongues, and when both metal tongues touch, the pop bumper activates.

Basically, the two metal tongues may be touching too often. This can be fixed with a leaf adjusting switch similar to the one in the attached link:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1518

Take your glass off with the game in switch test mode. Gently touch the plastic round skirts that the ball rolls over to activate the pop bumpers. Test to see how sensitive the questionnable pop bumper is against the other two. If it is much more sensitive than the other two, the leaf switches underneath the PF need to be opened up a tiny, tiny, tiny bit. Less is more when doing this. If you open them up too much, the pop bumper won't activate at all. If that happens, adjust the leaf switches back together a bit closer.

#9 9 years ago

Thanks guys. Got under the hood again and made the adjustment. Man, that's a small sliver of space that has to be there for it to work properly. Perhaps half a millimeter? I sincerely appreciate the help. Much love to the fellow Pinsiders!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.50
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 29.95
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 149.00
$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-pop-bumper-going-off-randomly-on-its-own and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.