(Topic ID: 125373)

Metallica Pinball--Which one to buy and worth it?

By Pinbalz

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 110 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by robertmee
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

10527331_10202005007316520_5174351029717947404_n.jpg
image-A3.jpg
image.jpg
image-519.jpg
There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 9 years ago

The same thing is happening to AC/DC right now. The premiums and Luci are getting harder to find and more expensive due to license expiration. I wanted an AC-DC premium and payed more than fair market value for it since I am impatient and want the game now!

#52 9 years ago

I have a pro with custom colored LED'S and just love it. Its one of my favorite games. Love the art work.. Both models are awesome but for me went with the savings of the pro and used the savings to purchase an IMVE.. Just a thought

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from john32:

I have a pro with custom colored LED'S and just love it. Its one of my favorite games. Love the art work.. Both models are awesome but for me went with the savings of the pro and used the savings to purchase an IMVE.. Just a thought

Exactly!

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

- Snake Jaw - This always gets overlooked as a big difference in game play. With the pro the ball always goes into the snake, is captured and spit out. With the Prem/LE the jaw opens and closes throughout the game. This prevents balls from going in there for no reason and also holds balls during MB for the 2x playfield. It's a much better feature than it gets credit for.

That makes the game easier as well.

I agree with everything you said. Especially the spinners. It's the only feature that I miss on the Prem/LE. For $500 more in add-ons, I think I am completely satisfied with my pro.

Some of Sterns production decisions still bother me on ALL versions of their games:

-It still bothers me that Stern uses the CFL bulb on the Pro LED. It's 4 times more expensive to run it, and 3-4 times more expensive to include into production than LEDs, if you count all the parts involved.
-It bothers me that Stern uses a $6 speaker in the lower and upper cabinets for a pin that costs 5-8K. C'mon Stern, you have to at least put a $20-30 speaker in there for a music themed pin!
-You have to tweak the sound settings to get them to sound good as well. Why can't it sound good from the factory?
-It bothers me that Stern continues to waste money on bad game design AND bad lighting design. If I could buy a Pro with no speakers, no bulbs at all and no ballast,starter,bulb, FOR THE EXACT PRICE, it would saved me a bunch of time, not having to remove all that useless junk.

I realize I'm the exception here, but Stern can SAVE money in some places and invest that little they save in the speaker/sound system, but they DON'T. I am confident that they would sell more music themed games if they did this. I am but a lowly "collector" though and know nothing (to Stern).

I do realize that you need additional apporval when you change anything on the machine and that takes time and costs a lot of money as well. So, I do understand why Stern makes a lot of these decisions. That doesn't mean I have to like them though.

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I cannot stress how great the light show is on the Premium/LE. The game fades to black (blue) during Fade to Black. The burst of red during each ramp shot. The game turns firey orange during Fuel. The GI fades like the powers being drained when Sparky's chair is charged. It's creepy purple during Enter Sandman. The level of creativity that Lyman has put into the GI lighting is unlike any othet game IMO and really makes it a stellar experience. The Pro GI is just white. On or Off.

Agreed, so much. This is what pushed me into buying my LE, once I saw what the new code was doing with the lights I had to have it. I love all the little touches, like how the red goes out to make the playfield feel more blue when you're one shot away from starting Cross Multiball.

#56 9 years ago

Both the pro and LE/premium are great machines. Depends on your own personal preferences. I personally love toys in pinball and watching the ball get hammered into the playfield is just too cool an effect for me to live without. So I personally prefer the LE/premium. But I have put plenty of time in on the pro on location and it is a great game in its own right, and it is a lot cheaper. You really can't go wrong with either. One of my favorite games of all time.

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Agreed, so much. This is what pushed me into buying my LE, once I saw what the new code was doing with the lights I had to have it. I love all the little touches, like how the red goes out to make the playfield feel more blue when you're one shot away from starting Cross Multiball.

Very good points regarding the lighting. I do consider things like this "eye candy" that don't add much for ME to the gameplay. I can see how others would see it differently.

I wanted to specifically mention the cross being white when it pulses on the pro... it's much better looking, in my opinion, if you put a red bulb back there.

#58 9 years ago

Snake mouth in premium and le is a big part of the game... During modes it takes hits when it's closed.. Hit enough times it opens... U can lock a ball in its mouth and it closes.. Then u get it back after a allotted time like a prize... Snake mouth closing and opening is only in metle and pro no other game has ever had that feature. Personally my favorite

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinbalz:

SOLD! I am a fan of lightshows! TSPP...Spidey...WOZ...
I just came across a thread where amazon had these for the 5500 range? ugh.
Sometimes history can be brutal

Well, I suppose if there's enough demand, Stern would do another small run of Premiums. They still have the license, and I'm sure they have the parts. Cabinets are the same as the Pro - so that's easy. Email Stern...couldn't hurt.

#62 9 years ago

just an FYI....Timebandit here on pinside is working on a light kit that (from a PM exchange with him) will attempt to duplicate the lighting of an LE for a Pro. Not sure if it will have all the features of an LE lightshow, but I am interested in his project.

Picking up my Met Pro LED at Allentown

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Well, I suppose if there's enough demand, Stern would do another small run of Premiums. They still have the license, and I'm sure they have the parts. Cabinets are the same as the Pro - so that's easy. Email Stern...couldn't hurt.

I think Stern will eventually pull a "LUCI" and create a new Ride the Lightning Premium featuring a new translite and cabinet art and that edition would sell like hotcakes! Dirty Donnie is still active in pinball and has a good relationship with Stern so it wouldn't take much to make it happen... Honestly if It didn't happen I would be surprised.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I asked and was told "no more premiums" Pro's only with another small run in May.
Now that I have received my pro it wouldn't surprise me for Stern to run some premiums.

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I think Stern will eventually pull a "LUCI" and create a new Ride the Lightning Premium featuring a new translite and cabinet art and that edition would sell like hotcakes! Dirty Donnie is still active in pinball and has a good relationship with Stern so it wouldn't take much to make it happen... Honestly if It didn't happen I would be surprised.

If they made an awesome Ride the Lightning cabinet with some chrome trim they would probably sell 1000 of them easily, and I would be first in line.

I bought a MetLE NIB, but ultimately decided I just didn't care for the cabinet artwork and trim for the price I paid.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

There's a pretty significant risk of saturation at this point though. A lot of people who would have bought a retail premium if they were still readily available have likely given in and bought the pro, so there may not be a high volume of premium buyers left.

#67 9 years ago

I had an LE and sold it, miss it a ton but I also think it is one of the best Pro machines out there for the price difference.

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from dug:

I asked and was told "no more premiums" Pro's only with another small run in May.
Now that I have received my pro it wouldn't surprise me for Stern to run some premiums.

They also said no more Iron Man and that was after the license expired. They still have the Met license....you never know with Stern!

#69 9 years ago

I've had a pro refinery edition for bout a year and a half, it ain't going anywhere soon, maybe never. Very fun pin Le, prem. or pro!

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Speaking as a member of the group of people most likely to be mad and bitch about such a thing, Master of Puppets LE owners , I think it's an awesome idea, they should totally do it.

Make the translite feature the band gathered around Sparky, getting ready to fry him!

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinbalz:

I'm fishing around and seeing 7-8K plus for a PREMIUM??

I tried to sell my MetLE five months ago here on Pinside for $6900.00 and had zero buyers. I'm pretty sure it would be a different story now. What a difference a few months can make. But just take your time and the right offer will come around.

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Great idea if they still have the liscense and it could be done affordably it's a no brainer. It would sell well IMO.

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Make the translite feature the band gathered around Sparky, getting ready to fry him!

And then print a bunch of extras so I can get one of those rather than my boring pro translite.

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

And then print a bunch of extras so I can get one of those rather than my boring pro translite.

I actually like the pro translite.

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I actually like the pro translite to each their own I guess.

I like the monsters one better. More going on. But you can only get one of those from someone willing to part with theirs. At a hefty premium.

#76 9 years ago

I like me the pro personally. If you got cash laying around you can go up to a prem, but for me it isn;t worth it. Great game either way luckily.

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

I'm a Pro owner as well. When I was deciding between Pro/Premium when the game first came out, I weighed all the differences. I could care less about the moving snake jaw, grave marker and hammer. Having the RGB GI would be nice but for the $1500+ price difference it wasn't worth it to me. Plus I like the Pro cabinet artwork better. Again, personal preference.
I have an original "incandescent" Pro so I was able to customize the lighting with LEDs in the color and style of my choice. You can't do that with the Premium/LE or the new LED Pro.

Yes it the same, you can change bulbs on the new led pro version image.jpgimage.jpg

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from Adios:

Yes it the same, you can change bulbs on the new led pro version image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

That's cool! I figured there were light boards in the newer models.

These are some of my favorite bulb changes from stock.
Coffin - purple w/ purple flashers
Sparky webs - ice blue
Mystery hole - purple
Crank it up - purple

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They also said no more Iron Man and that was after the license expired. They still have the Met license....you never know with Stern!

I dunno. They only sold around 200 IMVE's. That may have not been the numbers Stern was hoping for on that re-release. I'm fairly sure they were hoping for more like 500.

#80 9 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I dunno. They only sold around 200 IMVE's. That may have not been the numbers Stern was hoping for on that re-release.

I've seen playfields that say x of 300 and others x of 500. So, maybe they made 800.

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I dunno. They only sold around 200 IMVE's. That may have not been the numbers Stern was hoping for on that re-release. I'm fairly sure they were hoping for more like 500.

Where'd you hear that? Word is they sold 500 easy. I heard the 200 number regarding AC/DC Lucy.

#82 9 years ago

Playfield numbers mean absolutely nothing regarding how many machines were made. That's just a clue as to how many play fields were made (hundreds more than were ever used). I have heard from reliable sources that 15-25% of play fields are completely unusable and rejected the moment they are received, for a number of reasons. Poor clear adhesion/dispersion, warped, raised inserts, ect.

Pinball buyers are picky. Stern needs to often send out a nice, or "seconds" play field, to keep the disatisfied customers drinking the cool-aid.

#83 9 years ago

Here's a serial on ipdb... It's really anyone's guess as to how many. I certainly haven't seen the machine with the same frequency/numbers on Pinside and other sites, compared to other Stern titles that have a confirmed run of 500 or more. I think it is safe to say more than 100, less than 1000.

image-A3.jpgimage-A3.jpg

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinbalz:

I like the MOP LE. Saw some pics. Out of Production as well though
If you have it, it is a good lookin' game for sure. Congrats on that.

love my "Purple Monster" premium

10527331_10202005007316520_5174351029717947404_n.jpg10527331_10202005007316520_5174351029717947404_n.jpg
#85 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Man, a lot of miss information being spouted off in here today.

Awesome summary. I wish I could give you more thumbs up.

#86 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Snake mouth in premium and le is a big part of the game... During modes it takes hits when it's closed.. Hit enough times it opens... U can lock a ball in its mouth and it closes.. Then u get it back after a allotted time like a prize... Snake mouth closing and opening is only in metle and pro no other game has ever had that feature. Personally my favorite

I do believe you mean premium. The pro snake don't move, the snake in l.e. premium does and is really cool.

#87 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinbalz:

I have not bought a Stern since spiderman NIB.
I have not yet played a Metallica, but wife's a fan of the band and I'm liking the videos I've seen of it.
How are the Rules? Which version is recommended? I would want the premium I think but there is one that reminds me of Scared Stiff and another that looks like someone on a trip did the artwork. Is the PF the same in either one and just the cab artwork different?
What's longevity on this look like? I'm interested and really thinking about it.
Thanks in advance.

Here pinbalz, this one comes with a shaker motor and free shipping . Only 3 left. there was another ad and it was well over 8k but that's because its there last one, so they gonna get as much as they can for it.
ebay.com link: Stern Metallica Monster Premium Pinball Machine with Shaker

#88 9 years ago

To give a decent example of the Premium light show, I did a video to just show the fade to black crank it up mode.

It looks better in person as well. But rest assured, premium or pro, you won't be making the wrong decision as the game is a winner for both. But if you like light shows, I have not personally seen a better one than what Metallica is currently doing.

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from McSirTuna:

To give a decent example of the Premium light show, I did a video to just show the fade to black crank it up mode.
» YouTube video
It looks better in person as well. But rest assured, premium or pro, you won't be making the wrong decision as the game is a winner for both. But if you like light shows, I have not personally seen a better one than what Metallica is currently doing.

Can not argue with that Sir!

#90 9 years ago

image-519.jpgimage-519.jpg

#91 9 years ago

The DD version is old news. It was $1000 (I think) more than a regular premium too. Not worth the extra coin for me. Starburst did have one listed on their site and must have sold it....

Rob

#92 9 years ago

I sent you a PM

Allen

#93 9 years ago

I have never had the opportunity to play a prem/le

having said that i dont think you can go wronf either way. If you have the $$$$, and can find one, get a pem/le. If you dont want to hunt or spend more, a pro is and awesome machine too.

#94 9 years ago

I'm confused. Did the pro version come with two versions where one was LED and another Incandescent?

#95 9 years ago
Quoted from Industen:

I'm confused. Did the pro version come with two versions where one was LED and another Incandescent?

Yes, sort of. Original pro runs were incandescent. New runs are LED.

#96 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

SM is the better game but MET is Sterns best game since SM in my opinion.

While I agree SM is Stern's best recent game, is MET really better than AC/DC?

#97 9 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Isn't that a matter of taste? Both are great pins, 2 different desigs. Why don't you play both and determine for yourself which one is better.

#98 9 years ago

Metallica is one of those games where I like the pro version better than the premium. the hammer is big and in the way. Like the cleaner look of the pro, plus the translite is better.

#99 9 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I think that Met pro is better than Ac/Dc pro.

#100 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Metallica is one of those games where I like the pro version better than the premium. the hammer is big and in the way. Like the cleaner look of the pro, plus the translite is better.

I almost wish they sold the LE features as add ons for the pro. I'd pay to add the spinners and the GI lightshow (if they're properly controlled by the code), even if I had to install it myself.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.50
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.95
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-pinball-which-one-to-buy-and-worth-it/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.