Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0271 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7243 Magnet removal Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (7 years ago)

Post #8935 Buzzing flippers fix Posted by j_m_ (7 years ago)

Post #19696 Fixing random drop targets dropping Posted by swampfire (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider violinsteve.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1907 9 years ago

Got my MET Pro in April '14. It is showing a build date of August '13 and does have the snake protector.

3 months later
#2683 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I can't find the sparky protector online :/ Does he have them available offline?

Here's a quote from the Metallica Dress Slings product page: "This ships with the fluorescent yellow Sparky."

1 week later
#3138 8 years ago

Just put in the pinbits dress slings and Sparky air ball protectors, as well as Laseriffic's fuel/fire flipper toppers last night. Looking good. Now I think I have to change the under apron lights from green to something else. Too much green at the flippers now in my opinion. Maybe ice blue or white?20150429_232303.jpg20150429_232303.jpg20150429_232339.jpg20150429_232339.jpg

#3181 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Does anybody know if a 'mantis style' (inside the rim) protector for the mystery hole exists? I'd rather do that than the full collar cliffy style.

Got my mystery protector from Trent last year when I bought the machine. It's the underneath mount that protects the rim. Don't know where he gets them, though.

both pin-protection.com and Marco sell them

#3239 8 years ago

^^^+1 for that. Chaz is a good dude and will take care of you.

#3367 8 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Just installed my colordmd and HOLY COW its awesome!!

Hopefully I can justify the cost of the color DMD to my wife someday soon. It sure looks badass! Congrats.

1 month later
#3826 8 years ago

I took off the sneeze guard, but have only had one jump off in 300-400 games since. I guess my balls aren't as slippery as some others are. Maybe they just need a good polishing.

3 weeks later
#4081 8 years ago
Quoted from twista22:

along with me sparky shooter rod

+1 for pirate language! Arrrr!

#4112 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Is this a new premium model? The artwork color looks different.

That looks to be Donny's personal machine. It's custom.

2 weeks later
#4283 8 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

I have little probleme with my snake switch, it's doesn't work all the time.... I just notice there is no diode on that switch... Is it normal? Can someone check is snake switch to see if there is a diode

My snake switch was only registering half the time or less and I hate waiting for a ball search to get it to kick out. I replaced the whole switch and it works fine. Probably just needs an adjustment to the metal arm, a little bend one way or the other. I got tired of this after having to adjust it two or three times and just put in a new switch. Works great now. Just have to make sure the plunger on the VUK can clear the edge of the switch when it fires.
180-5209-00.jpg180-5209-00.jpg

2 weeks later
#4372 8 years ago

Stripped the playfield on Saturday & gave her a good cleaning/polishing. Re-rubbered with Titan translucent silicone rings (awesome!!), installed 4 new balls. Game played superfast...and then...during a multiball...Sparky's right foot broke off at the ankle!!!
Anyone have any suggestions for a product to reattach this? I know regular super glue won't be strong enough with the impacts that his feet get. What can I use that will successfully bond resin back together with enough strength and impact resistance?

#4375 8 years ago

Might work. I guess it's more like the front two thirds of his right foot. Maybe I could drill through the back of his heel and put a screw in there. Thanks Hougie. Wanted to explore other options before I screw Sparky, though.

#4377 8 years ago

Yeah. He's sitting down, so he doesn't really need his feet anyway, right?

#4386 8 years ago

I will definitely remove Sparky completely before attempting any repair. Removed him while cleaning the playfield on Saturday, so I know how easy it is. Think I might try the epoxy route before any pins or screws. A small pin with epoxy does sound like a good idea, though.
foot.jpgfoot.jpg

#4387 8 years ago

On the upside, the nice shiny playfield and the new Titan rings look fantastic!!
titan.jpgtitan.jpg

#4392 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Marco has Sparky's in stock again. I had thought about picking one up as a spare but just can't justify the $$$ for a part I may never need.

Yeah, $250 to remedy a broken foot is just a bit out of my price range. I'm going to go the epoxy route and see how that holds up. Thanks for the info, though, Vett!

1 week later
#4431 8 years ago

Yeah, it holds it for the super. You then have to bash another ball up there in the graveyard hard enough to knock the ball(s) off the magnet for the Super Jackpot. If you don't hit it hard enough, both balls will stick there until the super jackpot timer expires. Frustrating sometimes when they both get stuck there and you can't shake 'em loose. Can't speak to the hammer issue, since I own a Pro.

#4438 8 years ago

Happy Thursday, Met fans!
HetSalad.jpgHetSalad.jpg

2 weeks later
#4553 8 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Good move. My first NIB was. Metallica as well. Which show in 86, as I was at the Denver concert when they were opening for Ozzy.

My first NIB (first pin of any kind) was Metallica, too. I was at the show 4/5/1986 at UIC Pavilion in Chicago when they opened for Ozzy's Ultimate Sin tour. That was my second rock concert. First was Motley Crue 11/1/1985 at Rosemont Horizon (with Autograph opening for them). Also got to drive Metallica to a show in Columbus, Ohio in 2003. Love Metallica music, love Metallica Pinball!!!

MetLife.jpgMetLife.jpg

3 weeks later
#4686 8 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

I'm having a problem with the ball ejecting and bouncing back into the trough. I have the metal trough protector on the side of the shooter lane.
The ball bounces back into the trough on top of the next ball, and then two balls eject.
Anyone have experience with this?

I have experience with it in that it's happened to me several times. Don't really know the sure cure, but cleaning the opto sensors and re-seating the opto connectors under the trough seemed to help me.

#4687 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Thought I would share some tastefull mods I did to my pro.

Thanks for doing something useful with the sneezeguard. I just removed mine altogether. Haven't had any airball issues off the wireform.

2 weeks later
#4778 8 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

I installed a volume control button in that hole, you can control the volume without opening the coin door, works great and it is easy plug and play installation

I did that, too. I love it. So easy.

#4805 8 years ago

plastic post, metal post, duplicate post...lots of posts about posts.

1 month later
#5076 8 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

is there video of anyone getting to end of the line?

You mean with the glass on, right?

1 week later
#5135 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

He'd also be stuck with a pro!

After shelling out $4400, I really LOVE being stuck with my MET Pro!!!

1 month later
#5623 8 years ago

So, I'm finished adding the Pinnovators PinSub mod to my Metallica Pro (2013 build) and now I have a question about replacing the backbox speakers. I'm looking at the manuals (the pieced-together one from Stern's website AND the one that came with my machine), and I notice a difference in the wiring for the J10 audio connector. In two places (top two in the picture), the manual shows the wiring for J10 one way, and in another two places (bottom two in the picture), a different way, with the channels reversed, as well as polarity reversed. I am confused as to which is correct. And, given that my backbox speakers were wired out of phase at the factory (what the hell?), I am concerned about making an incorrect connection. Anyone have any experience with this. Also, does the PinSub mod add any load to either channel/amp (and which one?), as the SAM board has two amps? Thanks.

METaudio_(resized).jpgMETaudio_(resized).jpg

Edit: also posted the issue here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-sam-audio-j10-question-for-metallica-pro-2013

1 month later
#6148 8 years ago

I use translucent Titan silicone rings on my MET Pro and ordered both the 2 and the 2.5" size, since I wasn't sure. The 2" are just a bit tight. The 2.5" are working really well for me.

3 weeks later
#6447 8 years ago

That's exactly what happened to my snake switch. It was hissing and kicking out, but not registering. I tried to adjust it, but ended up ruining the switch. Replaced the switch and it worked fine. But yes, simple switch adjustment should fix it.

1 week later
#6541 7 years ago

Mylar around Sparky magnet from day 1. Some people like the new carbon fiber ring, but I would not suggest the metal rings that I have heard bend over time and can lift clearcoat/art on removal. I bought metal rings, but never installed them. I didn't put mylar on the graveyard magnet, and it seems to be fine after two years. I would also suggest Cliffy or Mantis style Mystery scoop protector, and shooter lane protection. Maybe also sling protectors and larger Sparky airball shield. Beyond that is up to you, but I see this as the bare minimum for a NIB Met Pro.

#6583 7 years ago

so much purple....

2 weeks later
#6838 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

You really only need the powdered sub as its much more intense

Do you have to add water to this powdered sub?

2 weeks later
#7010 7 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

Main reason for wanting the Premium apron is to have the spotlights in there to better illuminate the flipper area. Has anyone retrofitted the two spotlights into a Pro apron and have any tips?

I just bought a short LED strip from Comet and stuck it in the apron where the balls drain. Lights up the area rather well.

#7022 7 years ago

Sorry I didn't have time to take a pic. Paul has his exactly where mine is on the metal. I think mine's tapped into the GI at the outlane or a sling. Can't remember. Thanks for chiming in, MP.

2 months later
#7813 7 years ago

Gryszzz - You just need to get your happy ass out here, play my Pro for a night, and ask me all your dumbass questions while doing it so I may instruct you properly. What the hell? I'll stand over your shoulder and give you pointers as you play, preceding every tip with "just so you know..." Or, you can come to Replay in Pittsburgh next weekend and I can harass you there!

#7902 7 years ago

+1 for the PinSub kit. Better, cleaner sound, IMO. Also, I did upgrade my backbox speakers to some $20 good coax ones with the proper impedance. It actually sounds better than the stock backbox speakers, not a HUGE difference, but it helped.

#7908 7 years ago

My spots don't pop out any more since I removed the bulb caps from the bulbs. It seems they have a harder time coming loose if they're flat. Hope you choke on a CIU today, Gryszzz. Cheers, brother!

#7912 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I eat downvotes for breakfast.

That must be the reason for your daily fatigue. I suggest something with more energy.

Quoted from Jaybird815:

Wouldn't it be easier to just roll over and say it to his face?

You're not helping anything here.

3 weeks later
#8091 7 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

all three targets share the same rod mechanism

Sounds like my Friday night!

#8114 7 years ago

I think they filmed the video like that so nobody can really tell how old they look. Lars is even covering his bald head with a hat. Good song, though. Reminds me of their old stuff. I like it.

1 week later
#8427 7 years ago

My MET Pro was purchased NIB April 2014 and has a playfield date of 8/20/13. No clearcoat or ghosting issues yet. Played hard for over two years in my basement.

1 week later
#8478 7 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

I find them standing out on some games.

I find them outstanding on others!

2 months later
#8775 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

guys - is your dip switch 7 to the left or right? I think it needs to be to the right

That's kind of personal, man. Mine is slightly to the left and feels just fine. I don't think it would be the same if i switched it to the right.

#8786 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Ha Ha....really though should dip switch 7 be set to the right or left? Can someone confirm?

Yeah, no idea on the dipswitch. Just being silly.

Quoted from delt31:

after weeks of tweaking sound, I think I found the sweet spot. Required a sub AND pinballpro speakers which really helped with the lack of treble. Still doesn't sound as good as my pinsound (why they went mono with a modern pin is CRAZY) but I think it's the best I can do.

I have the Pinnovators PinSub kit for my subwoofer and pioneer coax speakers in the backbox with the resistor removed. Still wish the backbox speakers had more volume, but they're much better than the stock ones.

btw- had a 358M and 348M game last night. Still can't get more than 2 CIUs in a game, but at least got S&D and Blackened on both games.

2 months later
#9197 7 years ago

I replaced the stock backbox speakers with good coax ones and clipped off the resistor. Sounds a bit stronger, but I think the machine really needs an extra small amp on the backbox speakers to make them loud. But, I'm happy with the sound now. I've had an external powered subwoofer on it for a while that really fills it out.

1 month later
#10144 7 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

that's the flasher inside the cross..the previous owner of mine just put a dab of hot glue on the bottom to hold the light inside it.stays put!

Mine was actually broken in pieces inside the cross, so I just replaced it with a quality Comet flasher. No problems in almost 3 years.

1 month later
#10619 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Gryszzz sent this to me for free

Just wait and see what happens when you drive 5+ hours to buy a machine from him. LOL
Just kidding man. See ya tomorrow.

#10681 6 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Hey guys how do I go about turning the mucus and sound effects down??

Quoted from yzfguy:

Oops, sorry.... I forgot to make fun of you for saying "mucus"!

Mucinex usually does the trick. A cough suppressant will also help keep the sound effects down.

2 weeks later
#10788 6 years ago
Quoted from earflaps:

Mr. Maclean, you're amazing

Outstanding!!! I'd be afraid to put that back in the pin for fear I'd damage it somehow.
Fantastic work!

1 week later
#10830 6 years ago

For the sling spotlights, I replaced them with frosted LEDs, but they were still popping out every now and then. I accidentally broke off the globe on one while trying to push it back in. Instead of replacing the globe, I just left it off. After that, I realized the one without the globe never popped out, but the other one with the globe still on would do it occasionally. Once I removed the globe on that, I was fine. No more spots popping out. It's not too bright, and I don't have issues with them any longer. So try a couple flat SMD 555s in the spots, or break the globes off a couple of Comet frosteds like I did.

1 week later
#10934 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Anybody have difficulty getting to Blackened mode? For some reason I am finding it very hard, I almost never see it!

I get to it maybe once every ten or twenty games. You really have to hammer those guitar pics over and over. Or, change the settings to require less pick hits to reach Blackened. I left mine factory settings for that, but you can lower the requirements to get there faster. I never really pay attention to how close I am, until I hear that horse whinny. Best to get it during a multiball so you can hit more picks and pick up the band members and fuel lane bonuses.

1 week later
#10969 6 years ago
Quoted from 6point5degrees:

Do the guitar pics bulbs have a wedge or bayonet base?

If you're talking about the ones at the bottom near the flippers, on the Pro, i think they are two of each. Weird, huh?

3 weeks later
#11144 6 years ago

I just ignore it with a different kind of buzz.

#11148 6 years ago

I used to have the wires for the sub clipped to the cabinet speaker, but then I got this and it was a great thing:

http://www.pinnovators.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=38&osCsid=erh78dk6qhmng26v4skh4jv972

Not a huge investment, but a cleaner signal right from the board.

2 weeks later
#11263 6 years ago
Quoted from shelby1000:

Maybe I will get a NIB premium.

There's a good looking premium in the marketplace for $5995

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-monster-premium

And the shaker motor is a must! If you're worried about too much cabinet vibration, put some felt or something between the cabinet and the shaker when you mount it. I put in a few strips of recycled denim that came with my soundproofing insulation. Still shakes very well, but doesn't rattle the cabinet like I've felt in some. You can also adjust the weight on the shaker inside to make it stronger or weaker. There are also adjustments in the menu that control the shaker.

1 month later
#11510 6 years ago

I had the eyeball one on it for about a year, but switched to the skulls after 1000+ games caused the corner to keep coming up. Didn't want to use mylar or cell phone screen protector. Plus, the skulls are so much easier to tell how many balls are locked (and they look more menacing than the eyeballs). Also, I like the ability to make a choice without others telling me what I should have chosen instead of my personal preference. And I like cats...black cats.

2 weeks later
#11607 6 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Question, if I hit the ball to the top into the upper left lane, can I hold the left flipper down like you do to drop that plunger when shooting for the skill shot, and will that plunger then drop allowing the ball to travel completely around the upper arch exiting the upper right lane?

Nope, it only keeps the post down if you do it on the plunge, not during the game.

1 week later
#11645 6 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

Mine had this happen, but it has 2500 plays on it. Same type of break. Though on mine the broken foot stuck to the playfield so I really didn't need to do anything. Most people don't even notice. Shit, I didn't notice when it happened. I just looked one day and "oh, well then...."

Yep. Exact same scenario for me. Foot stuck under and not moving, but broke long ago. Doesn't affect play and not noticeable unless you're looking for it.

1 month later
#11887 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Need some bigly help here! Thank you!

Damn it, Gryszzz! I told you over and over not to try to install those Air Supply songs on your MET. Now it's in protest mode.

3 months later
#12595 6 years ago

Ordered some new pinball playing shoes to wear at the Louisville show in two weeks!

metvans (resized).pngmetvans (resized).png

#12620 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

sold out on the metallica store site before 5am EST this morning, and sold out on van's web site as well. wtf?!? more of that supreme style offer 100 pairs and that's it?

edit:
apparently, I got lucky. the only vans store in michigan to receive them was close to where I live and received one pair of each size today. t-shirts were already mostly sold out except for one S and one M

Yeah, only two sizes of the high-tops left on the Vans website. Guess I was really lucky to get size 13s of the slip-ons. I see they are on the secondary market already for $150 and up. Crooks. Glad you got yours.

3 weeks later
#12899 6 years ago
Quoted from valgalder:

I've owned Met for a couple years now and still haven't made it to End of the Line Best i've done is like 3 crank it up modes in a game..... some day!

A month away from having this game for 4 years, and I'm in the same boat. Only 3 CIUs in a game. Damn....just one more game....

10 months later
#15547 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

THEY FUCKING DIDNT PLAY BATTERY AND I CANT SLEEP OVER IT.

Yeah, they could have thrown it in the encore instead of Nothing Else Matters.

3 weeks later
#15766 5 years ago

Ahhh, that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you post a picture of a game you love, and the swell dude that designed it gives you a nod.

MetLife (resized).jpgMetLife (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 98.00
Lighting - Interactive
ArcadeMade
Interactive
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy
Hardware
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations
Other
Machine - For Sale
San Antonio, TX
$ 29.95
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 26.50
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider violinsteve.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread?tu=violinsteve and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.