Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0271 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7243 Magnet removal Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (7 years ago)

Post #8935 Buzzing flippers fix Posted by j_m_ (7 years ago)

Post #19696 Fixing random drop targets dropping Posted by swampfire (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tok.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2134 9 years ago

If you told me even a year ago I'd buy a NIB game I would have laughed at the silliness.
metallica_dark.jpgmetallica_dark.jpg

#2137 9 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

Congrats, it really is a great pin, let the modding craziness begin, good luck and enjoy

You aren't kidding. I started ordering stuff before I even had it! Mezelmods fangs and little LED speakers. haha

#2148 9 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

He's close, but not Sparky. Maybe Sparky's long lost brother?
Edit: more info here
http://www.jsonline.com/business/snap-ons-heavy-metal-ads-for-new-wrench-are-a-hit-b99256336z1-256784691.html

snapon.jpg 66 KB

I'm glad they mentioned Ed Roth in the article, he is definitely the inspiration for Donnys car art.

roth_wildchild.jpgroth_wildchild.jpg

#2161 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I spent some time away from my MET for a while, and now it's back to being my favorite DMD. I'm just now upgrading to 1.63. My only problem with the game is that the drop targets brick like crazy. Is there a fix for this?

Mine don't seem to like hard hits... When they're hit with a soft shot or even blooped with a ball going back and forth off the slings they drop right down. When you pound them with a shot right off the flipper they don't drop about 1/3 of the time. This is mainly true of the first one because its tough to get a really a hard hit on the inner targets.

That first target really takes a beating, so if having it not drop 100% is the price of making it sturdy enough, I'm OK with it.

1 week later
#2219 9 years ago

Phishrace, thanks for elaborating on the rules... I've had my Pro for just about 2 weeks, less than 100 games on it, and I'm starting to wrap my head around whats going on with the marked shots and solid vs. blinking arrows. Between the PAPA tutorial and stuff you're offering, its starting to come together for me.

My scores were actually better when I didn't know what I was doing and just shooting up the middle and getting Sparky multiball going! My first NIB and what a great game!

1 week later
#2254 9 years ago
Quoted from bpull:

3d printed myself some speaker panels today to try them out. I have a few things to fix on them and I think I need to order myself some purple filament and print them with that. It might go better.
Brian

met logo.jpg 112 KB

That looks awesome! They're not overpowering like the stick on skulls. Very nice!

1 week later
#2276 9 years ago

I didn't like the look of that LED at the base of the piston plastic, so I moved it forward (hole is already there). It is pretty much the only LED on the playfield that is exposed like that.

Its definitely an improvement, but does leave a visible hole. Did anyone else do this and cover/plug it? Wondering what you used.

ledmove.jpgledmove.jpg

#2279 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Just put an unconnected socket with a bulb in there. Bulbs are on and off all the time, you won't notice an off bulb, well, less than the gaping hole anyway I would think.

I would dwell on that dead bulb like a mental patient, probably worse than just the hole! haha

I put a carriage bolt and washer through the hole. It looks like hell in the picture because of the flash, it is un-noticable while playing the game. I might grab a larger carriage bolt at the hardware store so I can do it without the washer, but I'm OK with this until I'm already there for something else.

boltinhole.jpgboltinhole.jpg
#2280 9 years ago

You can also see I fudged my outlane post to the tightest spot... That was for me to try, not because it wouldn't fit in the original spot. I hate that damn left outlane, but already feel like a cheater!

#2293 9 years ago
Quoted from dgposter:

Is your metal post stopping balls shot up the right orbit? I have this installed as well and while it stops almost every ball shot up the left orbit, it rarely stops them from the right side. The ball bounces off of the post pretty good and comes back down the right orbit to the right flipper.
Having said that, I actually like it that way. It reminds me of the Chris shot on Family Guy and that's one of my favs.

I think thats what its *not* supposed to do... When hit from the right side its supposed to stop the ball and let it drop through the lanes down to the pop bumpers (unless a shot has lowered it).

I have the plastic one on a new machine and I'm pretty sure its operating as intended, I'll have to pay more attention. This seems to me like it could be as much an issue with having the game level as the post material.

#2296 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

It was the left side that was a problem for me most often. A left orbit shot that it supposed to hit the post, then drop into the pops when released would just rebound off and come back down the orbit.
Haven't noticed any increase in rebounds on the right orbit with the metal post.

Wait... Wouldn't a left orbit shot prevent it from making it to the pops at all? It hits the post and goes back the left lane the way it came. If its down for a combo, it will just go past and down into the right orbit. Maybe I'm totally confused.

#2300 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

What good does it do to have it return down the orbit? Seems to me the design intent was Left orbit -> hit post & stop -> post drops -> ball rolls in to pops.

I have no idea. If they didn't intend for it to ever do that though, the left orbit switch should always drop the post. Since its not visible, I'm not 100% sure what shots drop it for combo's to begin with!

#2312 9 years ago
Quoted from anubis2night:

I'm just curious, has anyone done a LED layout map and made a thread for it? seems like it would be a great feature to post up, anyone could post pics of their games and what they've done for their LED layout.

Did you get a new LED Pro or the older one with conventional bulbs? If you ordered the LED, wait and see. Even though they are mostly white, there are only a few I'd consider replacing... The Mystery scoop is a white bulb under a clear jeweled insert and could use color and I'd also consider doing the switch/coffin/snake with a color at the bottom.

The coffin decal is a huge improvement to me, I went with the eyeball one and love the way it looks.

1 week later
#2330 9 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I started having issues with the ball falling off the wire ramp and into the shooter lane after I hit the right ramp shot. Anyone else experiencing this? Is there a fix/mid for it?

Mine will do this occasionally... I think its pretty much always when the ball already has momentum when I hit the ramp. The speed is just nuts and it can't stay on the wireform. It klonks off the wall and drops in the shooter lane.

I don't mind the mayhem as long as its not breaking parts. After waxing I had an airball leap right over the sling and drain.

1 week later
#2383 9 years ago

It probably won't get the one thing I think it needs most, which is a few more instructive call-outs. If you read through the threads, there are a lot of questions about starting modes and what stuff like flashing vs. solid inserts mean. It took me a while to wrap my head about what needs to be done, and I'm still not always sure.

Since the band did the call-outs, I guess there could be better DMD instructions but you're usually too busy to look when you really need them.

3 weeks later
#2506 8 years ago
Quoted from SuaSponte275:

So I'm looking at purchasing a NIB Met prem.. It's going to be my first Pin ever owned. After reading through this thread there was talk about upgrading the board. If you guys wouldn't mind tossing me what questions I need to ask when buying said Pin. I appreciate any help with this.<2>

I got my LED Pro in January and it already had the newest software on it. You are gonna LOVE this machine.

1 week later
#2622 8 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

I didn't check. Figured I would put in the shaker tomorrow. I wanted to just get a few games in tonight since I didn't even get it in the house and setup till about 7pm. I will check it out tomorrow after work and let ya know.

You should be good to go... My LED Pro was all setup. At first, I looked at the instructions with the shaker and said "I'll get to this later". Couldn't believe it when I took a second look inside the machine and saw everything was already there.

#2656 8 years ago

I set my shaker to minimal use. Its my only game with a shaker and it treads a fine line between neat and annoyance... I'd be most happy if it just went off as a notification for Crank It Up being lit, multiball start or other big events.

#2758 8 years ago
Quoted from bushz:

Another question to all the owners. Do you believe the MET Pro is the one Stern game that is very close to the PREM and LE? I read that somewhere. The game play and playfield are so close to the upgraded games that the benefit isn't as significant as others. True?

The color changing LED's are the biggest missing thing for me. They indicate the what is going on much better, I found the lighting on the Pro a little confusing until I learned the game. I don't much care about the ball capturing snake and really don't like the hammer.

#2984 8 years ago
Quoted from Alamo_Pin:

First of all, thank you to all that have posted on this thread. It has been really helpful and informative.
Secondly, I should have listened to the poster several pages back who advised installing a Sparky Protector before even playing one game. I had to keep the game in the box the last few weeks due to a move, but was finally able to get it assembled last night. After only 12 plays, I noticed no fewer than ten permanent dimple marks surrounding the magnet by Sparky's feet.
I have ordered a protector from Rickwh and cannot wait for it to arrive so I can start playing the pin again. But I am a little surprised that Stern would not have done something to prevent this problem on their own.
And one final thought. The shaker motor is definitely worth having in this pin.

Just play the game and enjoy it! If you sweat it staying cosmetically perfect forever, you'll never be able to enjoy it.

#2993 8 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

One thing that pisses me off, is when people play your game, and your trying to tell them what to shoot for and objectives and they don't care just want to bang the ball around aimlessly. Ya, that's my wife last night and gets Grand Champion score. She is one of those players that just keep the ball alive and don't shoot at targets purposely. She got 2 CIU's last night, and she had no idea how she did it. Its the way she plays pinball, its how she enjoys it. She said if she had to think about hitting this target and that target, then its stressful and not fun for her. Wildly hitting the ball is fun to her. So be it then, I'am glad she loves playing pinball, and she likes Metallica's music. Just pissed she took GC on that style of play. Oh well, I'am not that mad.

I just keep telling new players to shoot up the center for Sparky. Getting the multi-ball and seeing that crazy starting effect makes people go crazy. After they have a few games on it, they might start thinking strategy.

This is one of the things older games do better. My Taxi is going to a new home this week, but I think it might be the best game ever at using call outs and lighting to let you know what to do next. That machine turned a lot of my "civilian" friends into pinheads.

#3037 8 years ago
Quoted from 85Txaggie:

I installed this one. Not Mantis, but similar in design. I had one on my Star Trek Pro and it did well on route. Also installed it on my AC/DC Prem.
ebay.com link » Stern Metallica Pinball Mystery Hole Protector By Pin Protection Com

I have this one as well, no complaints. It re-enforces from inside, but curious if game will still wear at entrance to the scoop.

#3148 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Hopefully no more air balls!

Sparky In.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

I got mine and installed today too... Am I the only one that noticed an immediate score improvement? The Sparky shots are much more controlled with the wider protector. Less wild air balls and wacky bounces. I'm amazed that Rick makes and sells these for what he does, it installed perfectly in just a few minutes! Very nice mod.

#3260 8 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I am thinking about selling my METLE and picking up the led pro. Stern site says they're sold out. Do distributors still have them? I wouldn't be able to order until the METLE sold, so it probably wouldn't be until PAGG in a few weeks. Did I miss the boat? If these aren't available, I'll hang onto the METLE.

Sent you a PM!

#3281 8 years ago
Quoted from Adios:

Pissed, less than 3 weeks nib playfield is chipped up around sparky magnet! Any ideas to fix or cover?

Wow that sucks. That just chipped off in one hunk?

#3407 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Further adventures of subtle change Sunday. I have no justification for how much this bothered me, but it did. And now it's better.

Kind of a side question, but what LED's are you using in your Snake insert in that first pic? I'm trying to match those to the playfield insert lighting and the ones I got aren't bright enough.

I put orange cointaker supers in the Fuel and purple supers in the Mystery inserts and they look great, but they're not really bright enough to shine through the white inserts.

#3409 8 years ago

Thanks, I figured you were gonna say they were some kind of double flexy's. It came out great!

#3497 8 years ago
Quoted from BillR:

Hey guys, does the shaker motor make much difference on the le? I was thinking about putting it in, but it honestly didn't do much in my acdc so I'm not so sure it's even worth buying...

I leave it set to the lowest setting, which makes it run when Sparky gets fired up and a few other things. I like the effect, but feel its a bit overused. You'll know for sure after a couple rounds of multi-ball. I think it runs almost nonstop as you hit ramp shots.

Edit... Forgot to add that I have the Cointaker Red Tremor. That may contribute to the "too much". Its my only game with a shaker, so I have no other frame of reference.

#3499 8 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

I leave it set to the lowest setting, which makes it run when Sparky gets fired up and a few other things. I like the effect, but feel its a bit overused. You'll know for sure after a couple rounds of multi-ball. I think it runs almost nonstop as you hit ramp shots.
Edit... Forgot to add that I have the Cointaker Red Tremor. That may contribute to the "too much". Its my only game with a shaker, so I have no other frame of reference.

I want to amend this a little... After making my comment, I started thinking about an older thread with a suggestion about minimizing the rattling of the glass. I centered electrical tape up both side edges and across the front and folded it down.

This makes the glass fit more snugly as well as eliminating the glass on metal contact of the side rails. It makes a world if difference. I upped the shaker setting to Moderate and it no longer feels like the game is trying to rattle itself apart during multiball. I've been meaning to do this since reading it, glad the shaker discussion pushed me into trying it.

#3536 8 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

I didn't try to email him. I just went on his site and purchased and it came in the mail.

Same here... Its expensive for what it is, but also looks great. Plain coffin looks like something is missing after seeing it with the eyes.

1 week later
#3617 8 years ago
Quoted from wilsonza:

Considering a Pro vs LE. For whatever reason, the snake jaw and motorized cross are not a big deal to me. The hammer is pretty sweet but seems like a double-edged sword.
That said, I'm a big LED fan and I've only played a Premium on location. The light show on the Premium is pretty outstanding. Is the LED Pro comparable or is the code notably different?

The Premium makes it a little more clear what you need to do because of the color changing inserts. I love my Pro, the color changing LED's are the only thing I miss. Pro is slightly confusing until you figure it out.

I don't care about the snake holding the ball and I actually prefer not having the hammer.

1 week later
#3692 8 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I would also like to see unique modes for each band member. It's kind of weird when one of them says, "Hey, my mode just started," but the only thing that happens is the pick insert lights by the name. Maybe four unique hurry-ups for each band member?
I sold my METLE for the Pro LED, so the spinner rules don't apply to me anymore.
I would like to see them keep the song "Blackened" but add the song "The Four Horsemen" and make that the mode it was supposed to be.
I would like to have "Ride the Lightning" start from the beginning of the song on Sparky Multiball instead of a guitar solo 1/3 of the way through (I fixed this through Pinball Browser, but it would still be nice if they fixed it).

I laughed the first time I fired up Sparky because it doesn't even play Ride The Lightning, it plays Creeping Death. Never noticed the call out about the mode starting (possibly heard it and didn't understand it), but I wonder if the band member modes are eventually what morphed into Crank It Up.

I would love to put either Damage Inc or Phantom Lord in the game in place of one of the songs, but wouldn't want to change any of the songs linked to a mode. As much as I'm not into the song Fuel, its so linked to gameplay that I'd never want to change it. I guess Sad But True and Unforgiven would be the two most likely to change.

#3716 8 years ago

I'll have to pay more attention to mine, but it has factory post and can only recall it bouncing back down the lane a few times. It pretty much always stops dead and drops into the pops (LED Pro bought in January).

#3725 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

There's so much out there you could double the cost of your game.

So true... I have the Mezel speakers and some other but my two favorite mods are relatively inexpensive. The eyeball decal for the coffin (plain one looks naked now) and a green flasher for the snake. Having the whole area behind him light up green is so much more eye catching when its prompting you to make his shot, and looks great when the playfield goes dark and he lights up green during the tally.

If I had to choose, I'd say that snake flasher is my favorite thing and it cost like 2 bucks.

#3760 8 years ago

I finally fixed my drop targets today... I had the common issue of them not dropping if hit hard. I moved the springs up on the hooks about 18 windings based on info posted here. That initially seemed to work, then the targets starting resetting 3 times and staying down (another issue I've read about). I backed the springs about halfway and the targets are working great now.

I noticed the springs in mine were blue, the ones in the machine posted here were red. Not sure if that indicates a different tension or not. This was just one of those minor annoyances I put up with for too long. It didn't really start bothering me until I got a feel for the rules and could tell how bad the game was ripping me off.

1 week later
#3819 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Anybody else take the sneeze guard off the right ramp? I took mine off a few weeks ago and have had fast ramp shots end up in the shooter lane, so I guess I'll put it back. Wish it wasn't so fugly.

Mine jumps the ramp from time to time even with it on there. Crazy ball speeds.

I think someone earlier in the thread made a metal top that matches the cage style of the bottom. This is an awesome thread, but is so big it has become unwieldy to go back and find stuff.

1 week later
#3921 8 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

I'm combing through the differences in the 1.63/1.64 code and one thing I can tell is that Stern added a bunch of NODE BOARD TEST sequences. I'm guessing this has to do with service bulletin #184 published on June 12 where 3rd party shaker motors were damaging the node boards. http://www.sternpinball.com/service-bulletins/service-bulletin-184-third-party-shaker-motors
The only other adjustment I can see is "Snake Multiball Combos for SJ lit" I'm assuming this is an option to reduce or increase the number of snake multiball combos needed for super jackpot. Default is 3, Minimum is 2, Maximum is 4

Isn't the node/shaker thing specific to Spike hardware? If that stuff is in 1.64, it makes me wonder if Metallica might be re-run for a longer time than we thought!

#3954 8 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

So how is the new V1.64 code? I gotta install that tonight or tomorrow , as I have it on thumb drive ready to go.
Oh, and today ( 7-2-15) is " 1 " year since my game was delivered to me from Pinball Refinery.

Its just little tweaks, I don't think I would have noticed if I hadn't read the changes. I'm still very happy they're honing the game to perfection!

#3977 8 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

I'm sure this has been covered alrwady somewhere in this thread, but I'm very pleased with the results of adding a couple flexable leds underneath the snake. Makes noticing when the snake is lit easier...
Quick video of it in action.
» YouTube video

Adding a green flasher to the spot behind Snake makes a world of difference. I also added a blue LED (can't remember if its a flasher or not) behind the captive ball. Since they're both white by default, you can't tell what the hell is going on when they're flashing. The colors do a nice job of separating them.

#3998 8 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Anyone know where I can buy a sparky airball protector? Pinbits is out of stock and not answering the phone or email...

Hit up Rickwh (he posts in this thread). If he has any left, they're really nice!

#4028 8 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

Hey guys, I finally collected enough cans to purchase the color dmd, do you guys sell the original dmd or hold onto it?

That can comment cracked me up.

1 week later
#4146 8 years ago
Quoted from EricR:

That setting should be the default, it defies logic that its not. I think as a community we should all adopt it as the standard setting.

I feel like a chump for setting games easier or with more balls than default, but maybe I'll give this a shot... I am kind of in a rut where in a normal game I just see Sparky & Snake multi-ball and maybe 2 Crank It Ups if its a good game. Still love playing the game, but I think there's quite a bit I haven't seen.

3 weeks later
#4350 8 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I find it odd that they are still listed and you can still add them to your cart. if he's not planning on making any more, either remove them from the site or at the very least mark them as "out of stock".

I think they're cool looking, but it seems ironic to make 6 extra holes in your cab to protect it.
Guess the button collars and rails alone weren't enough to keep them in place?

2 weeks later
#4434 8 years ago

Have any longtime owners noticed inlane wear from the balls dropping down out of the ramps? I never gave this any though until reading about it in the Star Trek owners thread. My Metallica wasn't showing wear, but the drop is basically the same so I just added the same Cliffy slot protectors I put on Star Trek.

1 week later
#4483 8 years ago

^ I like the price cards (makes it feel like a location game to me), but those look great and thats an awesome gesture.

#4492 8 years ago
Quoted from bridgeman:

I just picked up a pro led with minimal games on it. However I noticed that I could see lines in the playfield. Some wax dried in it showing this. I pulled the glass off and there is a definite line between what looks to be a decal? Anyway the line was enough that I could I could catch with my finger nail when going across it? Is this notmal on newer sterns? Are the playfields screen printed? I figured if even it was a combo of screen print with some areas decaled it would have all been clear coated over to fill any irregularities. Up until now the newest stern I have owned is SM. any input would be appreciated. I added a couple pics of two areas. Thanks Patrick. image.jpg image.jpg

Normal wear protection on the playfield... Metallica was my first Stern (first NIB pin too!) and I had a schitz moment when I first cleaned it and noticed those!

2 weeks later
#4606 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Can anyone with a machine check to see if your clear is chipping at the edge of the drain?
My build is from April 2015, which may be one of the boards with flaking issues? I forgot when that was.
I haven't called stern yet, I know they wear. But this is HOU with maybe 200 ish plays.

20150925_180138.jpg 20150925_180212.jpg

I looked at both my Metallica and Star Trek... Both show what I'd best describe as slight wear there (like a visible line), but no chipping. Given the location its in, if it worried me I'd be inclined to just throw a strip of Mylar there that wrapped the edge and call it a day.

3 weeks later
#4770 8 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I believe all foreign shipped games get the tourney buttons included and installed from the factory (Canada anyway). US buyers have to pay $5 - $10 I believe and hook up their own. It boggles my mind when I see a newer Stern decked out with hundreds of dollars worth of mods and an ugly empty plug where the tourney button should be. Throw in a tourney button you savages!

I wasn't aware the mode was still in the games without the button! It works?

#4781 8 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

When the game is in attract mode just hold in both flipper buttons and the tournament mode will start, I installed a volume control button in that hole, you can control the volume without opening the coin door, works great and it is easy plug and play installation
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2894

Thanks for that... I didn't realize the tournament modes were even programmed into newer games, thought they just continued using the old style cabinet template. Maybe I should RTFM! lol

#4816 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I have the plastic post, and no problems. Left orbit hits, stops, dribbles into pops. Every time.

Mine has never been a problem either. The only time it ever bounces back the way it came is a really fast shot up the right loop. Almost has to be a screamer of a shot that doesn't touch anything else on the way. Happens maybe once in 5 games.

1 month later
#4994 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

I really enjoy my MET - its a great game and fun to play.
That said, every time I play it I find the "Casket Multiball" call out SUPER annoying when clearly a Coffin is built into the playfield. Hell - it even says "Coffin" on the DMD display. I have heard others suggesting it would be a simple "fix" to change the DMD to spell "Casket" - but this does not fix this either. For those who may not know - caskets have straight sides while coffins flare out at the shoulders. They really are two different and distinct items.
If James Hetfield is as big a pinball fan as is reported maybe he could be persuaded fix his voice call outs to say "Coffin" instead of "Casket"?? How do you f-up something this basic when creating voice over scripts?

If we're gonna get picky, the snakes eyes are all wrong too.

snake.jpgsnake.jpg

1 week later
#5051 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

So it will be available separately? A tail sale, so to speak?

This would be awesome! I was lucky enough to catch the thread when it was updated as available and have one on the way, but really hadn't given much thought to painting the wireform or how the snake "ends".

1 week later
#5106 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Picked up this snake mod for $4 at a roadside cafe. If you squeeze him, his eyeballs bug out. I wish I'd bought all they had, little baby snakes...

image.jpg

That looks more like a sperm than a snake!

#5167 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Not familiar with that. Has that been a common problem with Metallica?

The amount of times I've changed lighting and added mods to my machine, I must've done that at least half a dozen times without even thinking about it.

#5249 8 years ago

I put the Mystery hole and inlane drop protectors on my machine (due to wear I saw on Star Treks with a similar ramp drop to the inlane) and a mylar ring around the Sparky magnet. The protection is inexpensive, and if I decide to sell, it'll help me get more back out of it to put toward the next game.

I do sort of agree with kcz on this though. Guys that love the machines enough to post here are way more likely to keep the machines clean. Its a dirty machine with pitted balls that will eat itself alive.

#5253 8 years ago
Quoted from Nickperkins:

Still haven't found a sparky air ball plastic protector. Pinbits is sold out and hasn't returned my email. Do any of you guys know where I could get one?

I got mine from Rickwh, he was cutting them and selling them for a great price. Its buried somewhere in this thread, which has become rather unwieldy!

#5269 8 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

A clever moder might make a replacement back panel that had inserts in it and then some wiring to duplicate the inserts on the back panel?

Or just a little mirror there to reflect them!

1 week later
#5395 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I replaced all the stock songs with instrumental versions of the same song ... do I get in line for ass kickery too?

I think thats a great solution... I love Metallica, but honestly only like about half the included music. I would like to swap some of songs I don't like that aren't linked with game modes for stuff like Damage Inc and Phantom Lord.

4 weeks later
#5849 8 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

i'm in the same boat as you. Even with everything set to as family friendly as possible, it still says thing like "nice frickin shot", or it will bleep out the actual words, depending on the phrase. I keep mine in my insulated garage with TWD, because I don't need my kids hearing it.

I tell my 11 year that I'll give 'em 5 bucks if they can get it to say a bad word. I guess one of us is doing it wrong!

#5867 8 years ago

Am I the only one that doesn't like the Metallica name cut out of every piece of armor? It already says it in 2 fool tall neon letters down the side of the cabinet.

#5901 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Just wanted to ask if you guys had an opinion between these two songs?
Sad But True
or
King Nothing

No, they're equally stinkers.

Throw Damage, Inc or Phantom Lord on there!

#5902 8 years ago

Oops, double tap. Thought I hit Preview.

#5924 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Agree, Damage Inc. is bad ass. How about Leper Messiah?

Love that one too... I think if I ever work up the nerve to do it, I'm going to add Damage Inc and struggle between Phantom Lord and Escape. The latter song almost seems like the forgotten cut off Ride The Lightning, and I love it. Its heavy but still upbeat, which is kind of cool.

3 weeks later
#6199 8 years ago
Quoted from rawbars:

I'm a pretty new MET pro owner. The post sends 90% of my left loop shots straight back down the left side. So I figured I might as well disable it. The only thing that's stopping me, is when I disabled the post on my IM I saw quite a bit lower scores due to not being able to take advantage of super pops. So I guess my question is, what would I be missing out on if the ball rarely made it into the pops on MET?

Wait... Unless I'm misunderstanding, you're disabling it for the wrong reason. There is nowhere else for the left side to go. The problem is with it bouncing the right shot back down the lane instead of stopping the ball to drop into the pops.

I have the factory plastic post and it has never been a problem. The only shots that are rejected back down the right lane are the ones that are going ripping fast (like after a loop is completed). Doesn't even happen once per game.

#6239 8 years ago
Quoted from rawbars:

I assumed the post was meant to not only send the right loop shot into the pops, but the left as well. So are you saying the left loop shot is meant to reject back down the left side? If so then it is definitely doing its job.

I don't think the post responds to hits on itself, it only goes up/down depending on what other switches were hit. If you look at where its at in the loop, its not possible for a left loop shot to go anywhere but back down the left lane when diverted by the post.

When people are describing an issue with the post, its when the right side bounces off it so hard that it goes back down the right side lane rather than being stopped and dropping through the rollovers back down to the pops.

#6253 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

This is the opposite of what is true on my game. With the metal post installed, he ball comes up the left orbit, stalls and then falls down into the pops.

I've gotta be majorly confused here, and will have to pay attention next time I play. I looked at my machine before I wrote my comments, and the post is an inch or so to the left of the rollovers. I don't see how it can hit that then drop into the pops. It can only do it from the right.

#6289 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Did you know there is a setting where you can turn the instructions for CIU off?

Just hit both flipper buttons. I like leaving the instructions on because a new player will occasionally hit a Crank It Up and its exciting for them.

1 month later
#6740 7 years ago
Quoted from mtp78:

Newbie here, Getting my pro next week. Are the factory led's any good in this game? Or do they need some changes so the game is properly lit ?

They're pretty much all just white. I ended up getting a few colored ones to match insert colors.

1 week later
#6885 7 years ago
Quoted from mtp78:

Just got it and have no idea what I am doing . Action is fast and furious.I can't even end look at the dmd . Really great game

Did you figure out what the hazing thing was with your playfield? Was curious about that.

#6887 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Anyone think we will see one last code update for Metallica?

Its just a little thing, but I wish they'd update the ball saver text to a font/graphic that matches the game. Everything else is so cool, and this frequently seen message is just generic text.

2 weeks later
#6997 7 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

Does anyone know if this is a problem in both the pros and the premiums and/or if it has been corrected in the units being shipped now? I am considering a NIB MET (also considering GB, ST, and SM VE once I can play them all and would appreciate any thoughts) and just want to know what I may be in for. Thanks.

I wondered the same thing and looked at guys collections to see everyone reporting the issue has an LE or Premium. I've had an LED Pro for about a year and a half and have never had an issue.

2 weeks later
#7149 7 years ago

Fytr, I think its normal... The ones on my Star Trek are actually worse than the Metallica. I actually thought there was sawdust from when the playfield was cut on them or something, but then discovered it couldn't be wiped away.

You may find it much less objectionable if/when you add colored LED's. The glaring white really emphasize the mold marks and imperfections.

#7150 7 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

For now I am going to use this tape to prevent the ball from jumping after hitting Sparkey which is causing a lot of the damage.

I put a brick there, works great!

4 weeks later
#7364 7 years ago

Not totally pinball related, but if you take a look at your translite its also not a far off as you might think.
I'm left handed so in the spirit of that, its opposite Hetfields in every way possible. Should I do the white spiderwebs?

snakebyte_case2_small_(resized).jpgsnakebyte_case2_small_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#7468 7 years ago

First stuck ball in 2 years, couldn't shake it loose either had to pull the glass off.

stuck_(resized).jpgstuck_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#7828 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Nah you don't need to go through all that nonsense. The fact that it's flickering shows there's a problem and even hints at where that may be.

Exactly... I make sure the connectors are seated, throw a set of quality balls in there and start playing. If I wanted to dick around for hours instead of playing, I'd keep buying old machines.

4 weeks later
#8109 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

What this here?
» YouTube video

That appears to be a music video with a 200 dollar budget including pizzas and 2 liter Cokes for the film crew.

(yes, still I'm very happy for any new Metallica!)

#8137 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

To elaborate on my post up there ; the guitars actually sound very Death Magnetic....which I loved...on that album. Now I want the old ESP to Tube Screamer to Marshall (?) sound back. Hard to explain....maybe it was that Rick Rubin magic...can't put my finger on it.

I think Hetfield is playing rhythm even tighter now. He's actually doing something more difficult and making it sound easier -all while singing. The guy is a f'ing monster.

I do miss a little bit of the more harmonious stuff like Escape. Lords Of Summer is a more "singy" (lol) song that they were playing live from like 2014 on. I really like it and hope it makes this album.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tok.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread?tu=tok and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.