51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7243 Magnet removal Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (7 years ago)

Post #8935 Buzzing flippers fix Posted by j_m_ (7 years ago)

Post #19696 Fixing random drop targets dropping Posted by swampfire (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sudsy7.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4750 8 years ago
Quoted from Troutfarm:

This A-Hole has had my money for over a year and not delivered what I purchased or responded to any communication on the matter.

I think you are covered by Paypal protection on something like this - not sure if there is a time limit though.

#4838 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you got the new style metal angled panel Roadcase I figure you need it badly, the cartoon color one just doesn't match there at all.

Has anybody pulled the the cartoon color decal off of the new metal style yet? Just wondering if it it's a presentable surface without a decal at all (like the old style box)...or is that obnoxious decal serving a purpose like hiding some inherent manufacturing defects associated to the new style (like tool marks).

#4843 8 years ago

Will a 520-5337-00 cpu board work on a MET Prem?

#4844 8 years ago
Quoted from Off2War:

Was thinking about this also. Personally i don't even think the speaker decal looks good on the Monsters edition, sure it matches the side cabinet art, but doesn't suit with the translite...

I think they went overboard on the DD edition with that ugly decal as well. Perhaps a little more conservative look with some black wood grain might look better?

ebay.com link: 12 x60 Black Wood Grain Textured Vinyl Wrap Sticker Decal Sheet Film Car Bike

1 month later
#5239 8 years ago

Anyone know what feature adjustment 60 (G.M. M.B. S.J.P.S.A for S.J.P MULT.) does. I know it's related to grave marker multiball super jackpot in some way.

1 week later
#5337 8 years ago

In my opinion, the greatest "mod" that anyone could make to the LE is an updated coffin magnet board or complete redesign of the how the ball is sensed in proximity to the magnet to make it reliable. In it's present state, you might as well disable it and revert to "pro" mode with captive ball hits for locking balls.

1 week later
#5369 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

A circular eddy sensor could be used under the hole, but the software would need to be corrected. I cannot even fix this without access to additional source code. This is the one complaint I reported that never got fixed over 2 years ago. The problem however can be improved by using a newton ball versus a newton cube. There is your "mod" correction. Improves hit detection by around 50%, and is completely "backwards compatible". The newton ball assembly is common and CHEAP too.

Yeah, I've had the Newton ball since day 1. I really don't have a problem with hit detection though, the problem is with proximity detection when lock is lit, but I'm sure that's what you meant. I do notice that a detection/lock is more likely after deflection from the Newton ball due to the reduction in ball speed, but that would probably be the case with the Newton block, too.

The hammer down sequence would be neat if it even worked 90% of the time, but it's just an annoyance when it only works 50% of the time.

#5423 8 years ago

Has anyone experienced any problems from using alligator clips from the cabinet speaker to the subwoofer?

#5431 8 years ago

Alligator clips (open leads) to the leads of the speakers.

I hear you, but there's probably hundreds of machines hooked up like this with no reports of any problems yet (I have 3 of them like this myself). You would think someone out there would have messed something up by now if it was vulnerable issue.

#5436 8 years ago

For example, how about in line fuse protection molex bypass wiring for the magnets on MET LE/Premium?

There is a F7 magnet fuse already on the I/O board. Why doesn't this provide adequate protection to those circuits?

#5469 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I'm still not 100% convinced their is an actual issue with the mech. Seems more like the call outs being wrong that makes people think it isn't working. For instance, when I hear "lock is lit" I always have to hit the captive ball one more time before the hammer is active. It then catches the ball nearly 90% of the time I hit the captive ball again. It's almost like the call out for "lock is lit" should be "light lock light is lit". Very odd.

There is most assuredly a problem with my coffin capture. If yours is working 90% of the time, consider yourself lucky. When you hear the callout "lock is lit" that indicates the sensing circuit is looking for the ball. I sometimes pass over the magnet (at relatively slow speeds) 5 or 6 times before a capture occurs.

Also, is it me or does it seem silly to say something is "lit" and not light up a lamp or flasher accordingly!

#5471 8 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

My coffin magnet and lock has worked perfect since day 1. My MET build is also November '15 (just got it) so maybe they fixed the issue?

Mine is Oct '15. Is your magnet board under the playfield (520-6801-00) Rev "D"?

#5473 8 years ago
Quoted from sadler28:

where do you find the build date?

It's on the back of the cabinet.

2 weeks later
#5747 8 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

Ideas wanted:
Looking for something to cover/replace/add to the clear plastic ball guard near the right hand ramp?

I think a VU audio bargraph type meter would look great there.
Maybe something like this:

VU_(resized).jpgVU_(resized).jpg

#5748 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Oh just wait till you hook up that sub with the Pinnovators board. Your neighbors are gonna call the cops.

I just hooked one up and wasn't that impressed myself - I think hooking up to the cabinet speaker was just as good soundwise. Also, now there is an annoying "thump" sound when the machine is powered off. I'm using a Sony sub - not a Polk, but not sure how that might make a difference.

#5766 8 years ago
Quoted from Gorno:

Mustang is right. Something isn't functioning correction or set up correctly. A sub drastically changes the audio output on a game. I can't play without one now.

There is a drastic diff between sub and no sub - I'm not saying otherwise. There is just no significant difference between hooking the sub up to the cab speaker or hooking it up to the pinsub board in my case.

#5775 8 years ago
Quoted from robotronjohn:

New premiums still have the laser cut speaker logos? Hard to tell by the photos a few posts up.

Nope.

#5780 8 years ago
Quoted from robotronjohn:

OK well I do like the newback box and speaker grill art. I believe there are aftermarket logos I could addo if I decide to light up the speakers... premium on order..

LED light kits and acrylic inserts (2 Metallica designs) available at:
www.speakerlightkits.com/
Very nice!

#5796 8 years ago

The MINI board (50v step-up driver board (Stern #520-5254-00)) actually could be blown instead if TIP and wiring is good.

The only way I can see that *might* potentially avoiding the situation for the future on ALL GAMES unless corrected from Stern is to add an in lane fuse protection connection to the circuit

In-line fuse sounds like a good idea here. Any idea what amp rating you might recommend for the fuse?

#5798 8 years ago

The TAF set sold by Terry at Pinball Life uses 3 amp

This additional fuse protection is good advice. The only thing I would add is since you are going to just cut the connectors off, modify with the larger molex pins/connectors, and change the fuse out as well, you would be better off just getting 40 cent in-line fuse holders from China, rather than pay more than $6.50 a piece (plus postage) for PBLs. Only drawback is you might have to wait 2 or 3 weeks longer to get them.

Fuse_Holders_(resized).jpgFuse_Holders_(resized).jpg

#5802 8 years ago

Nobody should ever "cut off" anything on a game, period.

You need to read more carefully, friend. I said that you have to cut the small Molex connectors off of the PBL in-line fuses in order to put the large ones on.

#5807 8 years ago

This was not meant for anyone in particular.

Really, because you quoted me, in particular.

#5810 8 years ago

Wisdom is knowing when to stop talking.

#5832 8 years ago
Quoted from hank35:

You might want to check and make sure you set it up correctly.

It's set up correctly. Like I said, there may be some difference, but IMO either setup will result in the same desired "loudness" (with plenty of margin to spare) by turning the volume knob on the sub a little. I didn't notice any improvement in the quality of the sound myself. YMMV.

#5843 8 years ago

I'm guessing the hammer "bounce" is a feature, not a flaw. Hammers do naturally recoil (with the exception of a "dead blow" hammer) when they smack a solid object and this is just simulating it (OK, on a grand scale!).

#5878 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I couldn't deal with mis-matched armor, or that horrible hammer.

Is that a hammer - looks more like a rawhide mallet to me

2 weeks later
#6024 8 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

I'm going to be joining the club soon, other than the color DMD, What are some must have mods?

The ColorDMD is hands down the best visual mod, the shaker is the best touch/feel mod, and the sub is the best sound mod.

For visual mods, I would also highly recommend these one-piece lasercut siderails (if you can find them - they were a limited run from what I understand). Matching crinkle black finish makes them look factory stock. The lettering is UV light reactive -they look great in normal light conditions (and they really pop under UV!)

DSCN20331_(resized).jpgDSCN20331_(resized).jpg

#6069 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

He sure PROJECTED a knowledge level... forunately there are plenty of people that know as much and more.. they simply don't run around and act like they need to tell everyone how smart they are and just get things done.

Perfect summary.

1 month later
#6689 8 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

So let's say I'm playing the game and decide I want to turn the volume up, which i always do. Open the coin door , with the power on . Is this a concern, I mean how do you adjust the volume or go through the game settings and menu if this is a potential problem? Can't do any of that withot the power on and the coin door open. Right ?

Get this to take the place of the tournament button - only $30.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2894

1 week later
#6845 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

My metprem gats a ball stuck occasionally on the right side if the cross.

That's happened 2 times on mine as well (in about 600 games). I haven't done it yet, but one solution would be to have a small plastic "door" over that area with a spring-loaded hinge. The door would prevent the ball from getting in there when the cross is down. The hinged door would open as the cross raises, and close when the cross goes back down.

2 weeks later
#6988 7 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

So I had a 3 amp circuit breaker hooked up and it did not pop with hammer magnet to magnet board disconnected. I smelled something burning and look at these pics.

I'm guessing the transistor is shorted on the board. You had the magnet disconnected from the circuit, so current draw was not high enough to blow the fuse. The circuit on the magnet board is not designed to be "on" for long periods, so it heated up until something opened it. I bet if you replaced the transistor (and the charred resistor), it will work again.

#6990 7 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Thanks for your help !!!! I don't know if I have the ability to fix the board but I guess I have nothing to lose. I don't know how these stens hold up on routes. I have three HUO and constantly having issues. Just replaced an ac/dc drop target opto board.

Call Stern and explain what happened - if it's a relatively new game, they should send you a new board free of charge. If not, I think a new board is about $60-$70. Don't throw the old one away - it can be repaired.

1 month later
#7268 7 years ago
Quoted from HankScorpio:

Buy these in 4 different colors and mount them underneath to a piece of plexiglass. The cheapest mod that makes a huge difference.

This is a very true! I just made this mod to my premium - my wife even took notice and complimented the beautiful color effect on the inserts. What a great idea, HankScorpio!

4 weeks later
#7601 7 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

If he's going to release a bugfix, I hope he considers adding a insert light effect for when the spinner is ready for big points.

Would also be great to have an actual light come on when "Lock is Lit".

1 month later
#8165 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I did it again with the third ball, and all three got stuck up there.

It doesn't happen often, but I've done that twice myself!

Quoted from Troutfarm:

I believe the aluminum block is to avoid the captive ball getting magnetized and have the ball in play stick to it and get stuck.

I've had the ball in play stick to the captive ball several times. I finally used a captive ceramic ball - that eliminates the issue for good.

#8168 7 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Change your captive ball to green

Snake eggs!
Why not hide the wires inside the hammer handle?

#8179 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Why are there 2 captive balls? Really confused about that.

One of the balls is stationary (caged) and serves only to transfer energy to the other ball (which is free to travel a short distance to close a switch on a standup target).

3 months later
#8901 7 years ago
Quoted from ninjabones:

Prior owner installed unsightly flipper button protectors.

Never understood this either. Might as well hammer in a 6p nail on the outside of the the cabinet and hang the backbox key on it, too.

Geez - they could have painted the screw heads black to hide them at least.

8 months later
#11397 6 years ago
Quoted from JB-7X:

After a trip to Home Depot and purchase of a pack of RJ11 contacts, a 100 ft length of cat5 cable , and a RJ11 crimper for $50 I made myself a new data cable and I still don't have my GI.

Check the power connector coming off the bridge rectifier in the backbox - it's a 3-position z-connecotor having a red and a black wire going through it (one posiiton is not used). Should be toward the left side of the backbox in plain view. Unmate it, then remate it and see if the lights work now.

#11401 6 years ago
Quoted from JB-7X:

When I hand made the new cable I made sure I had all the appropriate colors in the right spots on the terminal ends.

Do yourself a favor and buy a cheap chinese cable tester on ebay (I think the P/N is CHL-468). They cost about 10 or 12 bucks. It will verify the cable/connectors are good or bad within 2 minutes, so you can focus on other troubleshooting efforts.

1 month later
#11711 6 years ago
Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

and here's another one I did for someone along with the hammer and Sparky...

What type of paint did you use for the snake eyes and hammer flames? It really pops.

#11715 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

yes, there is one [unused] rattlesnake tail animation in the metallica rom

The snake rattle animation is used every time you shoot the ball in the snake jaw. It has to be a clean shot though (can't ricochet off the coffin for instance).

#11737 6 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Have owned MET for nearly two years and up till today have never heard Kirk (I think?)say after draining a ball "I'm not a great player, but you're playing like shit". Lmao.

Gotta wonder what kind of score rates that harsh of a review?

4 months later
#12679 6 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I had no issues until recently -- not sure how many plays, but probably close to 1k total, and the magnet board is apparently having issues.

I had a burned-up magnet board about 3 months after I got my machine. Got a free replacement board from Stern. Board was exactly the same revision. I installed it, but also installed an in-line 2-1/2 amp slow blow fuse under the playfield to protect the board. The fuse lasted a few months, then it blew one day. Replaced it with another 2-1/2 amp and it blew several months later, too. So I replaced that one with a 3 amp fuse which I've been using for about a year now with no problems. Bottom line is it makes sense to install a 50-cent fuse to protect that $70 board because the 4-amp fuse in the backbox will not.

#12688 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Are you talking about the Sparky board or hammer board?

There is no Sparky board. Sparky magnet is driven directly from a transistor on the main driver board in the backbox. The hammer magnet processing board under the playfield right side is what I'm talking about. Put the fuse on the J1 input side (not the J3 output side).

#12708 6 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Can you explain in more detail (pictures?) how to put the fuse on? Use basic terms since I'm new.

Here is a photo of my installation. You can buy the in-line fuse holder at a lot of places - I think I got a bunch of them on Ebay for a few bucks. They will come with plain wire ends. You need to install it somewhere on the purple/yellow wire leading into J1 on the magnet board. I can't remember if there was an existing 3-position Molex connector conveniently located in the harness that carries that purple/yellow wire (50v) and a black/red wire (ground) or if I added it. But in any case, I just broke that connection and put the inline fuse holder (for the purple/yel wire) and a jumper wire (for the black/red wire) in between it. You'll have to make (or have someone make it for you) the 2-wire "harness" with the Molex connectors on it. That way, you can always take this "mod" out if you ever wanted to reverse it. Hope this helps - you can PM me if you have any questions.

DSCN2518 (resized).JPGDSCN2518 (resized).JPG

#12714 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Maybe a slight tweak on the rail might make it hit the post differently?

I was thinking that too - not too sure how much adjustment there is in that guide rail but worth a try. Another thing that may be worth a try is to change the cross-section of the post from round to triangular, so that when the ball hit it, the post might turn, absorbing some kinetic energy and deflecting the ball more into the lane area. You would have to sacrifice a post or two to grind in that new cross-section (could use the original plastic post and a file). May or may not work but probably worth a try.

#12724 6 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Does the post rotate?

I don't think it rotates much - there's nothing to impart rotation to it with just a circular cross-section. A solid shot up the left orbit results in the ball hitting the post and essentially rebounding back at the same angle to virtually the same spot on the guide rail every time. Apparently, minor geometrical deviation between machines can either make the ball consistently return down the left orbit or go into the pops like it was designed. So you're either lucky or you're not.

But I think if you make it triangular or fluted, now there are "fins" on the post that the ball can interact with, rotate it, and hopefully "randomize" that angle of incidence with the guide rail to enable the ball to go into the lanes hopefully every time but at least more consistently.

5 months later
#14005 5 years ago
Quoted from FuryosJustin:

So I was giving tallica a clean and blitz wax (shit it plays fast after blitz) and I noticed one of the balls is covered in hundreds of tiny dents? I'm guessing it's a bad ball, as the other 3 were fine. They were fine at last wax 500 plays ago.
I've now replaced all 4
Anyone else have the odd bad ball before

I have seen this condition only one time. I forget what machine it was, but I turned it off and left the operator a note to change that ball out before it ruined his playfield. It looked like a "moon" ball with all the craters and facets, and was darker in color than a normal ball. I assume it just wasn't hardened properly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 29.95
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,600 (OBO)
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 149.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 25.50
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sudsy7.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread?tu=sudsy7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.