51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7243 Magnet removal Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (7 years ago)

Post #8935 Buzzing flippers fix Posted by j_m_ (7 years ago)

Post #19696 Fixing random drop targets dropping Posted by swampfire (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13512 5 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

That is brutal, but I am also down the street from them, so I am amazed that I am still waiting. IMDN took over the assembly line I guess. 10 weeks seems like an eternity when we are waiting for a new toy!

New METPros are coming off the line starting this week.

2 weeks later
#13597 5 years ago

I as well added a MetPro this past weekend fresh off the assembly line. It seems the stern sticker guy was having a bad day when mine was built...

20180614_211215 (resized).jpg20180614_211215 (resized).jpg20180614_211228 (resized).jpg20180614_211228 (resized).jpg
#13609 5 years ago
Quoted from XQ11:

Noob question here. Holding my left flipper isn't disabling my orbital up-post for the super skill shot. The post seems to be functioning normally otherwise. Song selection prior to shooting is also working fine. Any ideas as to what is causing it?

When this happens, is it auto launching? Do the inserts light up correctly for a super skill shot?

1 month later
#14012 5 years ago

Does there exist a version of the Met manual other than the one currently on Stern's site? What is available currently is a crappy B/W scan versus the nice source PDFs the rest of the games have.

2 weeks later
#14092 5 years ago

I have been confused by blown piston counts myself. I did a glass off test and what I found was that hitting the piston target (not just the rollover switch) at the dead-end channel awards 1 blown piston regardless of the number of pop bumper inserts lit (or flashing). This means zero lit = 1 blown piston as well as 3 lit = 1 blown piston. I can't figure out any purpose of the pop bumper completion inserts. They might be adding to the point bonus when a blown piston is added. I would have to check again. Also, it does not matter if the target is hit directly or with a combo.

#14095 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

So ten shots to the piston target to light EB? That’s it?

Correct. Doing nothing more than triggering the target at the end of the fuel lane 10 times lights an EB.

EDIT: To be explicit, I tested on a Pro w/ v1.7 code. Perhaps the Prem code was forked off and behaves differently?

#14096 5 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

I thought this was the accurate description of how the blown pistons work. Never collected the extra ball myself btw.

Nope! 10 x 10 bumper hits + at least 4 x fuel lane. Not sure if the lane is enough or that target must be hit. Need to check this with glass off.

Double nope back at you Try for yourself and you will see this is not how it works on current code.

2 weeks later
#14191 5 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

** Specific Script/Request Number Sought; Pinball Browser **
Any Pinball Browser users out there happen to know the script number of the Seek and Destroy riff we hear during the match sequence at game's end, starring the puking snake? I want to hang a different MET riff there. My worry is that the riff is pulled from the script of the full-length song. In that case, replacing it will be all but impossible without also replacing Seek and Destroy altogether.
Thanks.

You can test by replacing the entire song and see if it changes the match background.

#14193 5 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

It pulls from the entire song.
Edit: Now that I think about it a little more, maybe it doesn't. I switched the random match call outs and Unforgiven , which plays after, but I never thought about the S&D riff.

I took a quick buzz through the sound files and I am pretty sure the match riffs are their own sound clips. I found the before ball plunge looping riffs. It sounds like half of the ball match S&D is at 0x380 and 0x524.

#14195 5 years ago

Great! Thanks for sharing.

On a side note, there were quite a few horse sounds and some animation. Are these coding in the game somewhere or maybe an abandoned Four Horsemen mode?

3 weeks later
#14379 5 years ago

Same experience for me. Factory Stern balls magnetized pretty quickly. Replaced with Ball Barron shiny chrome. Those magnetized on short order. Caused all kinds of problems. I even managed to get *all four* stuck in the graveyard trying to collect the super on the MB. I had to pull the glass to get them dislodged. That sucked.

I recently replaced with Ball Barron carbon core and have not had any problems after a hundred or so plays.

20180806_202850.jpg20180806_202850.jpg

#14405 5 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

I'm just curious how he got 4 balls during graveyard multiball. I know you can add one ball by hitting picks then the snake, but that would make it a 3 ball mulitball. I guess it might be possible to start coffin multiball then stack graveyard multiball on top of the coffin multiball.

Yep that is exactly what it was; running coffin MB, then started graveyard. First ball was captured on the magnet for the super. Second ball gently rolled up and got stuck. I held balls three and four and shot each at full strength one from the left, one from the right and neither could knock them loose. I was really dialed in on the graveyard shot that game for all the good it did me. No amount of shaking or swearing could release the magnetic death grip.

2 weeks later
#14518 5 years ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

I already own a MET Pro Led with Total Light Show that I am thinking about adding a few mods to including a color dmd. I know have an opportunity to trade another machine toward a MET Premium already upgraded to a color dmd and a few other mods. I am not unhappy with my MET Pro. Is it Worth the upgrade or should I stick with it he Pro.

Would recommend spending some time on the premium before making your decision. I find the pro plays faster and is more enjoyable. Yes the hammer is neat, but for me the novelty wore off quickly. I don't like how big and visually obtrusive it is. In addition, from what I have read in this forum it is not without it's mechanical problems. Total Light Show makes up for half of the difference as far as I am concerned. The colored GI is awesome. The spinners are not important to me, but can be added to a point. I do like the rising cross and am working on adding that as well.

#14527 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Picture the opposite of this, and that's my opinion.

Happy to be your doppelganger I say GBPrem and STPrem....what say you?

Quoted from Rob_G:

Maybe it plays 'faster' because there's less toys for the ball to interact with? And I just don't know how missing features/lighting/toys equates to being more enjoyable? But, to each their own
Rob

The hammer for me is an interruption and visual hindrance. On the pro, ricochet off the captive ball into the snake is a shot that I find enjoyable. Skip off the captive to the left ramp is fun too although I am comfortable enough to say this is never on purpose.

#14546 5 years ago

Check the optical tx and rx boards to see if there are any breaks or fraying of the wires soldered to the boards. I had this specific failure on my KISS, but I am not sure if they use the same boards. If yours is making a marginal connection it could explain why the pops or scoop action trips the reading of the switch.

#14608 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

Also worth noting there is no way getting around having to bash the coffin captive ball, I do find it a rather 'safe' shot mind you. And as j_m_ said for points you really do need to be able to shoot that piston target on demand for max points.

You do get 2 for 1 if you hit the coffin after an inlane rollover.

Also not mentioned for lighting all three inserts is doing it via skillshot. When you hold the left flipper and light all shots for the skill shot bonus, one of them will have the inserts strobing. If you hit that skill shot not only do you get the bonus, the inserts continue to strobe and then you collect as already described.

And while on the subject, there is also another special skillshot. Hitting the piston target as the skillshot immediately lights the 2x piston insert.

2 weeks later
#14844 5 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I noticed this as well. I think I had 3 EBs on my first game after the update, seems slightly excessive but maybe it was a fluke.

I had the same observation. I think it's the coffin on auto giving them at 10, 30 and 60.

#14850 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

It has made some of the extra balls more attainable for sure, mainly the Combo one being cut in half, blown Piston has increased to 15 by default I believe but now you can score 3 Blown Piston's in a single shot... the regular 10 shot to the coffin remains the low hanging fruit IMO. Not sure how you got the other two though.

Combo EB is still at 20. It was the champion score that dropped to 10.

The Blown Piston EB still seems nearly impossible on default settings. It takes a minimum of 5 fuel lane hits in addition to a lot of time spent in the pops. I changed the piston inserts to stay lit between balls and at least that feels obtainable.

The CUI mode completion sounds are great. You can hear the two new additions in the service menu -> game specific settings -> #56. Nice to have new snake callouts. What a great surprise code update. Made my KISS and GB super bummed though.

#14913 5 years ago
Quoted from acidburn:

Joined the club in the UK at the weekend and purchased a tastefully modded MET PRO LED
Anyone know if redshiftLED are still selling the rising grave marker mod?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I bought a rising cross parts kit from Marco and was planning on adding it to my TLS install. What I was told by redshift was that there was some kind of hardware redesign that he needed to implement. That was a few months ago. I have since decided to create my own standalone rising cross mod (not requiring total light show) and have a working prototype. I should have it done by the end of the year.

Anybody interested can PM me directly. Also if anybody is looking to buy a Stern rising cross kit (https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/511-7471-00) can also PM me.

#14923 5 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

3. If you have access to a 3d printer, let me know. Happy to send my files over.

PM'd for files Thanks!

#14934 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You need to hit one of the drops...

Or, the cross itself if you enter CIU with all the drops down. They do not reset.

1 week later
#15095 5 years ago

Got to my first EOTL. Despite the panic induced flailing and not knowing WTF was going on, I was able to collect the final jackpot. Is that essentially finishing the mode?

#15102 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I would think so? What was your final score? Congrats

Thanks! I ended up 926M but there was a lot more to be had. The EOTL cash out was something like 384M alone.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Easier. Combos are 10 instead of 20
Blown pistons increased to 15, but they work right now, so you can get up to 3 at a time.
Coffin hits are 10 for the first and 30 for everyone after that. Before it was auto adjusting, then 100 for the second one.

Certainly easier than before. However it is still 20 for combos. Also coffin will still auto adjust up from 10, albeit, very slowly. On my EOTL game I got my first ever piston EB at 15 and somehow managed to get it again at 40. Before the update, I don't think I ever had more than 3 blown pistons in an entire game.

#15168 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I learned this about a year ago. Really changed how I plunged. It's one of the best skill shots imo. Also, fully plunging around will light an entire lane randomly to lock in if you can hit it first.

It's not random anymore with 1.80. It's the same as the lit shot before you plunge.

#15210 5 years ago

Has it always been that once you reach EOTL, that song is added to the new game song selection?

#15233 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

So is it a selectable song after making it to eotl? Does it remain selectable after machine turns off? I probably don't need to worry about it since I'll never get that far but it sounds like a cool addition. Thanks

Yep! I guess I missed this little tidbit in the 1.80 release notes.

- "The End Of The Line" song is now selectable at the start of the game
if the player has made it to "The End Of The Line" (the 5th Crank It Up
mode).

This is a nice little reward.

20181217_145623 (resized).jpg20181217_145623 (resized).jpg
#15268 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I believe that the pop bumper hits do reset on a drained ball (but not on a saved ball drain)
I shot lyman a txt message asking how exactly this was meant to work (award/collect) initially and if it was just changed due to the fact that good players could potentially collect all 10 blown pistons on a single trip to the dead-end lane if for every 10 hits to a pop bumper, you increase the [collectable] blown piston value for that piston
my feeling is that it could have been capped to collecting a maximum of 6 blown pistons (2 for each flashing insert). so, hitting the pop bumpers would always award points, but stop bumping the blown piston counter for each pop bumper after 20 hits (or twice the value of however many that you have it set to in your game settings for collecting one

Not quite. The lit inserts do carry from ball to ball. You can change the inserts from solid to flashing by 10 more hits on each pop bumper, however you can only collect one blown piston per insert, solid or flashing. If all three are flashing you get 2x points, but again no more additional blown pistons; 3 max per piston shot. It's at a minimum 5 piston shots for an EB and that is after spending a ton of time in the bumpers.

#15273 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I do not think it does haha. I think he was saying that you just get double the points when you collect the blown pistons.

Right!

- If all piston lights are blinking and the fuel lane target is hit then the score value is doubled.

#15290 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Any idea why the game ended when I still had an extra ball?
I collected my bonus from EOTL, went back to normal play, and then drained. I'm certain I still had 1 or 2 EBs.

Is it possible you reached the maximum EB # during the game? I *think* it's 5 by default. I am pretty sure this happened to me on my EOTL game. I lit and collected an extra ball (got the snake animation) but the shoot again inserts did not light.

Also I am going to double check the coffin behavior you mentioned. I don't think it is supposed to work the way you describe.

#15352 5 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Is this for the pro also?

Yes. Pro is default to not hold the ball. Prem/Le is the opposite.

1 month later
#15643 5 years ago

Something odd is going on with the coffin lock rules on my pro. The way the locks are supposed to work during the other MBs is that you can continue to collect lock counts up and only to the next lock level, but not progress further. Meaning, if you are currently working on lock two, you can keep working toward the next 10 hits to light the lock, but once it is lit, no more hits will count. Only after the current MB is complete can you collect the lock. This is the way it has worked for me both pre and post 1.80 update.

Now, for reasons I can't explain, the behavior has changed. I am now able to collect locks while in grave/sparky/snake MB. This has happened twice now. The last time, I actually started coffin MB while in sparky (not the other way around). There was another member a couple pages back that reported a slightly different locking weirdness. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/306#post-4748269 At the time of that post, I took the glass off just to double check my understanding of the expected behavior on 1.80 in case I missed some kind of change. I also dug around in the rules options and didn't see anything related.

I am curious if anybody has else seen this new behavior.

#15653 5 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

That is very strange. I would try doing a factory reset. If that doesn't fix it you might try reloading the 1.80 code, if that's possible.

My guess is that there is a new 1.80 bug that corrupts the RAM in a specific way. Fun fact about SAM; when the RAM is corrupted, neither a full reset, nor a code reflash is likely to clear it out. In those cases, the only way to clear it is to power it down and pull the coin battery. However, the residual voltage left on the chip keeps the memory alive for DAYS. If you find yourself in this situation, the solution is to short the VCC pin on RAM chip to ground using a couple test clips (with power and battery removed of course).

I know this because the first total light show board that I added was faulty and would corrupt the RAM on the first power on. The game would behave really wacky. In one case all switches reported to being faulty. Every single one of them, even though they would pass individual tests. After replacing the CPU board, it would seemingly play fine, but in the middle of a game, the score would start freaking out (flashing random numbers) and then jump to some ridiculous score, like 61B or something. It took quite a while for me to figure out what the problem was because pulling power and the battery did not change the behavior. When I checked voltage on the chip, I was surprised to find that it stayed above the min storage voltage (2.3v IIRC) after 3 days on the bench.

#15734 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

Plunging the upper rollovers with the left flipper held down gives the most points I believe...
And for Skillshot 3, my fav is the gravestone lane, drop catching off the orbit can be tough but it is the lane I always go to clear out first.

This is correct. I think it's 2x whatever the regular super skillshot value is. One thing I am not sure of, if you soft plunge with the left flipper set, do you get more points by landing on the selected rollover without manually switching the lit lane?

I do like the catch and grave shot, but my favorite is the full orbit dead bounce off the left flipper and immediate hit off the right flipper into the right ramp (not sure the fancy pinball term for this kind of shot). I can consistently hit this shot 90% of the time, but strangely enough I cannot get the bounce direct into the scoop.

Don't forget skill shot #4 into the piston target which auto lights the 2x shot.

#15745 5 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

My pro is having some weird issues...
It's stopped allowing me the super skill shot option intermittently. It'll pop up the orbit stopper even while I'm holding the left flipper for about 5-10 balls, then stop for another 10-20 balls, then start again. [edit: I just noticed after walking back over to play a game that it's counting the right orbit when coming off the plunger lane. It's never done that before and I assume it shouldn't. Anyone had this happen? What's the deal?]

Maybe a flaky launch lane switch?

Also possibly some trough switch issue? I started a grave multiball and didn't kick out the second ball for the longest time, I eventually hit the snake BEFORE hitting the snake and it kicked out two more balls. You shouldn't ever have all 4 balls during graveyard, right?

Sounds to me like balls are magnetized and getting hung up in the trough.

ALSO, has anyone experienced completed lanes no longer being lit mid-ball? I had my graveyard shots completed and then after a multiball, it was suddenly not lit anymore and I had to re-complete the snake, electric chair and grave shots.
Has my code gotten corrupted or something? Gremlins up in here.

Is it possible that you had completed them all and started Seek and Destroy? That will clear out the lit lanes.

#15774 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

When I was down to my last ball everything went back to normal play/music track (it had been playing coffin track) but sparky was flashing again for mb.

Was this right after ending the MB? Could have been sparky jackpot still lit in the short grace period after MB concluded.

4 months later
#16495 4 years ago
Quoted from ktm450:

Been awhile but I purchased this rising cross kit off RobF and have finally finished making all the missing pieces. I started by machining up the cam that pushes the switches.
I then machined up the pin with the circlip groove for the sliding piece out of stainless steel, I also made the angle slides with the intention of welding to the existing pro cross assembly. After getting all the pieces together I found out the pro assembly is just plated steel. So I figured I would just make a whole new slide assembly from Stainless steel. I used stainless angle sections which I TIG welded down the middle as I would not have the room to fold back on itself as the originals are made in a press.
Then a connecting arm and all finished.
Just need to find out from Mike the best way to connect to the Total Lightshow and it will be good to go![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That turned out awesome! Glad you made good use of the parts. I am finally progressing on my standalone Pro rising cross mod as well. Although, it isn't nearly as shiny My first prototype is now functional for both the mechanical and the controlling circuitry. Next step is to move the circuit off the breadboard and get make up some PCBs. I'll start a new thread with some videos when the next rev is done.

20190714_172209 (resized).jpg20190714_172209 (resized).jpg20190714_172123 (resized).jpg20190714_172123 (resized).jpg
7 months later
#17345 4 years ago

After several months of this project sitting on the shelf, I finally have a fully functioning prototype of my MetPro rising cross mod. It is a few 3D printed parts, a servo, and a control board. It's plug and play as far as connecting to the target opto board and the cross LED. It needs a few tweaks and a lot of play testing before it's done, but I was excited to share a video of it in action.

#17353 4 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Have you installed the newest code? It seemed to take two hits to start graveyard mb.. it should only be one hit after the drop targets are down

Quoted from j_m_:

takes 2 hits on mine as well. (I'm still running 1.70 code)

You are both right. On 1.80 it changed. From the release notes;

- Changed default cross hits from 2 to 1.

I am on 1.80 code, but the video starts on the 2nd MB of the game that's why it shows taking two hits. I also show it starting on the 3rd MB to demonstrate that the logic understands the different starting scenarios. It should work correctly regardless of the game settings or variances in code version.

#17377 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Optos do not work by reflection. Opto will trigger when receiver does not see the light beam. It should be easy to test if opto is working or not by manually blocking the light beam with something in switch test. If optos are not working then it has nothing to do with targets.

In general this is right, but is not correct for the drop target optos on Met. The sensor board uses proximity sensors that do work on reflection back to the receive sensor that is on the same chip package as the transmitter.

#17381 4 years ago

My suggesting would be first to put the game in switch test, raise the PF, and with the targets up, put your finger over one of the sensor spots and make sure things are reading correctly. Once you confirm that, you can start playing with the targets to see what it will take to trigger. My guess is that maybe they don't have the right fin for this specific game. Can you compare them side by side?

If it is because of the translucent material, then I would try with a white blocker of some kind, not black. Try some white-out, white paint, white paper glued on, maybe some tin foil? Also make sure the blocking fin is as close as possible to wear the sensors are reading.

#17382 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Ah, I see. Good to know if I ever have problems with the targets. Is this still something easy to test?

Yep, easy to test. The sensor board attaches to the drop assembly with a plastic mount. On that mount, there are three round cylinders that surround the proximity sensors and extend through the metal target bracket to isolate the sensor's reading. As I mentioned, you can put the game in switch test and just cover these holes to check if it is reading. If it is too much of a pain to do that, it's two easy screws to remove the sensor board and cover the sensors with your fingers directly.

The only bummer is that the sensor parts themselves are obsolete. I found this out the hard way when working on my rising cross circuit and I killed on of them. I was hoping to replace components on the board, but the sensors are unique, obsolete and way out of stock. Board replacements are still available, but I don't think they can make any more of them without a circuit redesign.

1 month later
#17513 4 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

OK on the hunt for a solution. As mentioned previously my game has begun to start tombstone mball by itself during random games. It seems to happen while the ball is in the pops. I thought it may be. Symptom of when the strobing was happening so I waited until I installed a 400v Bridge rectifier. Strobing seems to not happen atm but this phantom mball can occur.
Like I said it seems to start while the ball is in the pops and possibly whole the first target is down.
Any ideas where to start? I'm thinking of reinstalling the code first off but would love to keep my high scores. Or is there anything to look at re the targets or pops? Update it happened while loading the hammer so pops got nothing to do with it. Also notice my game will auto launch the ball sometimes when I walk away. Last time I noticed it thought a target was hit while the ball was sitting in the shooter lane. In diag it shows sw grave marker down activated but no targets switches activated in this case and yet it goes into mball

With strange behavior (starting multiball with the ball in the shooter lane) I think there is a fair chance that your SRAM is corrupted. If this is the issue, you will need to pull the power, pull the backup coin battery and connect a jumper from the vcc pin of the SRAM chip to ground and wait a few hours. The measured voltage at the VCC pin has to drop below 2.2v before the memory is cleared out. And yes, sorry to say you will lose all saved settings and high scores.

I posted a little bit about my experience here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/314#post-4825543

1 month later
3 months later
#17793 3 years ago
Quoted from sugarhillabe:

Just got a MET Pro and wanted to put in LED flipper buttons. When I installed the buttons, something happened and I'm getting 46(!) device malfunction errors. However, when I go into diagnostics and check each switch/coil/etc. with a malfunction, it works. So I'm guessing that what I did somehow damaged a board but don't know if there is a fix or if I'm going to have to replace the entire Board (but first I'll have to figure out which board). Has this happened to anyone else? If so, I'd would be very grateful if you could let me know how you fixed it. I've reached out to Stern support already and waiting to hear back. I also disconnected the buttons (didn't work) and reinstalled the operating software (also didn't work). I looked over all of the connections and don't see a loose connector or broken wire. Below are some pictures of what the display shows:[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Fairly sure this is corrupted RAM. If so, good news, it's an easy fix. You have to pull the power, the coin battery and use some small clips to short the power and ground legs on the SRAM chip. Leave that sit for an hour or two and it should be enough to drain off the stored capacitive charge enough to erase the part. If you need help figuring out where to clip, I can get some pictures in a day or so.

#17799 3 years ago

That would be great if you could do so! Thanks for the advice!

Ok here you go. The SRAM is the Cyprus chip. Clip to the opposite corners as shown in the picture. If you do not have microclips, these probably will work; https://www.amazon.com/Yohii-Temperature-Silicone-Electronics-Testing/dp/B07DRJ7Y87/ref=sr_1_14

You didn't need to short anything to corrupt the memory. I ran into this with a bad total light show board. It took a long time to figure out what was going on. I have a theory how this could happen, but don't really want to type it out..haha. The important point is that the SRAM on SAM boards keep their memory without power and battery backup for an impressively long period of time (days? weeks? I gave up waiting).
20201017_192702 (resized).jpg20201017_192702 (resized).jpg

#17810 3 years ago

So I tried this (unplugged the machine, removed the coin battery, hooked up the connection points to the top left and bottom right legs of the chip, and left it overnight) and it didn't work. I might have done something wrong (pic attached) and if so, please let me know. I've also attached another picture that shows the 18V and 20V lights on the driver Board still lit over a minute after the power was turned off -- don't know if that means anything but figured I'd share. Any help as to what else I can do would be greatly appreciated.[quoted image][quoted image]

I had my setup with the board out the game and on the bench. I think at minimum you will want to pull all of the power plugs that go to the board. Also take a voltage reading between those two pins. You want to see it less than 2.0v.

#17816 3 years ago

I wanted to thank you for your help and let you (and anyone else interested) know that the issue ultimately ended up being two blown fuses on the driver board at F12 and F13. I replaced those and it works fine now. Thank goodness I didn't have to replace the board!

Even better. Glad you got it figured out.

#17818 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I was reading the rules for Metallica, about Seek and Destroy (when you get all 5 columns lit)
"To qualify Seek and Destroy, you have to collect all 5 hurry ups --> Left orbit, grave marker, left ramp, right ramp, right orbit."
I never got there but I thought I was watching a tutorial (Bowens?) can't remember but thought it was if you did get Seek and Destroy that would erase all the locked rows making CIU so much harder.
Is that the case and if that's so do people hole off starting S&D until they have al the CIU modes collected?

Yeah it's best if you can get all but one complete, but it's hard to keep it that way. I always seem to complete that last one by accident during a multiball.

3 weeks later
#17894 3 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I've NEVER been able to reliably hit the scoop. Any pointers?

With a little practice, I have gotten pretty decent at putting it into the scoop with a lazy backhand (or at least that's what I call it). From a cradle on the right flipper, give it a quick tap so that it rolls back up the inline a little. Then with the flipper still up, let it roll back up the bat. Once it makes it about 2/3 of the way back up the flipper, give it another quick tap and it should have just enough oomph to lob into the scoop. The ball will have very little speed, so a miss is reasonably safe to get control back unless the right sling gets to it.

But of course, in the heat a game I usually forget this trick and just try to hit the scoop on the fly from the left flipper. After about 4 misses I end up eating the ball

2 months later
#18113 3 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

This is a picture from the 1st version. Ver 2 not as wide and is overlapping in the center to put double sided tape.
[quoted image]

This remind me, I designed one of these too. I am also willing to share stl if there is interest. I figured everybody else was just buying the pinmonk gaskets and I was the only cheapskate

20200426_124722 (resized).jpg20200426_124722 (resized).jpg20200426_124802 (resized).jpg20200426_124802 (resized).jpg20200426_131522 (resized).jpg20200426_131522 (resized).jpg
#18115 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

where did you get that speaker cover decal? I just realized my Luci looks very odd with a black speaker panel.

It came with the game. Were these not originally made with wood speaker panels (black) and then re-run with the metal panel with the decal (same as Met)?

Back to Metallica content....

Shout out to Fezmid for the tip on the discounted premium tanslite. The blemish that made it a "second" is absolutely invisible. Here is a pic showing both for comparison and if you look really close, you won't see my colorDMD spacer because it's black and there is no bleed through

Quoted from Fezmid:

I was just browsing PBL, and noticed they have a Monsters translite for $60 if anyone's interested. There's a minor imperfection on it apparently.
https://www.pinballlife.com/seconds-metallica-premium-monsters-translite.html

PXL_20210112_035238640 (resized).jpgPXL_20210112_035238640 (resized).jpg
#18125 3 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Anybody willing to make an extra display spacer? Don’t have access to a 3D printer. How much are we talking? Thank you!

Quoted from finnflash:

I would be interested also

For my design, PM me directly pls. The Thingiverse file carries a creative commons license that restricts alteration and print for resale.

#18152 3 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

I’m trying to get my parents to have a pinball machine and my dad is a big Metallica fan. The issue is they are concerned about what the grandkids would hear. I’m surprised the parental settings don’t turn everything off. Maybe this isn’t going to work.

Would it be a reasonable compromise to just attenuate all of the callouts? Do the parental settings also beep out song swears as well?

#18170 3 years ago
Quoted from dgposter:

Re-seat your trough connector. I remember having this issue and I'm pretty sure that is what fixed it for me. I zip tie those connectors together now so they don't come loose.

Also magnetized balls can do weird things to the game while they hang up in the trough.

1 week later
#18200 3 years ago

Off-Topic: It is important to review the specific license allowances for models on thingiverse (and elsewhere for that matter). This one in particular is listed as non-commercial, so would be an infringement for a print house. This isn't the right thread to discuss these kind of issues, but you need keep these things in mind. Suggestion to Dee-Bow is to make a friend with somebody that has a printer (like your once a house move truck friend!), or get in touch with the designer to see if you can work something out.

4 weeks later
#18303 3 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Recently acquired a Pro and have a few questions for the group.
1. Is there a difference in the Pro vs the Prem/LE in the way the add-a-ball is handled? Mine works like this, shoot the snake when lit green, the DMD shows 20 second scoring and it adds a ball, however the snake does NOT keep the ball in its mouth for the 20 seconds. On the premium/LE's I have played the snake holds the ball.
2. This Pro has the Total Light Show installed as well as the spinner mod. Currently the spinner mod is tied to the left and right picks. I believe I read somewhere that the spinners could be tied into the total light show and not affect the guitar picks. Is this true and if so how would I accomplish this?
3. The auto launch is flaky. A high percentage of the time the auto launch doesn't make it out of the shooter lane. When starting a MB, multiple balls end up piling up in the shooter lane. Checked settings and there is not setting for the auto launch power, so not sure how to adjust.

1) Yep that is a difference between the two.
2) Does not work with latest game code.
3) Properly working, it should launch out the shooter lane easily. I don't think power is your problem. I would start by checking to see if the ball is hitting anything in the shooter lane. If it is launching clean, then actuate the launcher manually and check the solenoid and mechanism to see if anything is loose or binding.

4 months later
#19053 2 years ago

Maybe related to the factory LED model change over?

4 months later
#19443 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Hey guys .I have a couple hrs before returning to work again and about to pull up the PF.The problem is last ball drains ,then the game just keeps looking for the ball that’s gone .I’ll start reseating the trough opto but if any suggestions will be welcomed as I would love to get a couple in with the kids before going back in .

Fair chance you have magnetized balls that are hanging up in the trough.

3 weeks later
#19539 2 years ago

Keep in mind, the LCD can be set to display dots the same as the LED version. For me, some games look better in that cartoonie style (TSPP, MET, LOTR) some look best in dots (GB). LCD gives more options including brightness.

4 months later
#20050 1 year ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

RobF is your rising cross mod still in the works?

Yep. Just very slow to start dolling them out. I had my game at the NWPAS this passed weekend and wanted to use the show as another opportunity to stress test the design. I haven't unpacked since yesterday's teardown, but I will give it a good inspection to confirm it made it through ok.

3 months later
#20335 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

Make sure you are on the latest code. I think that was an issue with one of the older versions, but I could be wrong.

No, this is the nature of this game. The songs do not play start to finish continuously.

#20343 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

Huh, that's weird. I've played hours on this machine and never noticed but you're right. I just went and tested to be sure I wasn't going crazy.... I guess that's why I never get to the good parts of most songs, I drain too fast!

What's different about this game is that the songs can start, stop and loop at various points of the track. I think it's a cool way to make it seem there are more titles than there really are. It helps that the songs are pretty long so it's easier to slice them up. Even though you pick the song at the start and are stuck with it the entire game, the changes during various modes and MBs keeps it from being repetitive IMO.

#20348 1 year ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Ok…let’s put all the song stuff to bed..
Metallica is not a song based mode game…you pick a song at the beginning of the game and that’s the song….now depending on how far you get into the song on a ball will determine where the songs picks up at….if you drain quick it will start at the beginning…if you get a minute or two into the song it will start at a further point from the beginning…for comparison AC/DC always starts at he beginning of what song you selected if you drain….but the songs are modes and can be completed and a new song selected.
Metallica has 4 different multiballs and other time based modes that you work towards such as Fuel, Lady Justice, and Seek and Destroy. The object of the game is to get the mini wizard modes (Crank it Up) and hopefully make it to End of the Line. So Metallica is not mode based as far as the songs go but there are modes you can achieve within the game. Each of these multiballs and modes have specific songs associated…some are selectable at the start of the game and some are not…so if you play these other modes you will here the song for that mode. Once that mode or multiball is over it will change back to the song you selected at the start of the game.
As far as changing songs that are loaded on the game you need to use Pinball Browser if you want to replace any songs. Just search the forum for Pinball Browser and you can read how to do it. There are plenty of people that have done that and you probably can ask here for suggestions of songs people have swapped out or even get a copy of the code from someone…it’s work to do it but people are usually happy to share.
Hope that helps….

To add a little more:
1) the mode/MB song associations can be changed in the system menu.
2) Once you reach End of the Line, that song is then added as an additional song choice at the beginning of all future games.

5 months later
#20699 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thoughts in these new metal apron cards? Have a nice shinny reflective metallic look. Need to increase the size a little to cover the entire apron card area. Stay in place with double sided adhesive tape. Thanks.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Image is looks great. Who's the artist?

#20704 1 year ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Does anyone know the location of the transistor for the loop diverter coil?

It's coil #7 that corresponds to Q7. Interestingly enough in the Metallica manual that I have, #7 shows blank.
Screenshot 2023-03-06 192900 (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-03-06 192900 (resized).png

Spiderman VE manual to the rescue for quality SAM board info!
Screenshot 2023-03-06 192713 (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-03-06 192713 (resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

7,600 (OBO)
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 12.95
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread?tu=robf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.