Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0271 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7243 Magnet removal Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (7 years ago)

Post #8935 Buzzing flippers fix Posted by j_m_ (7 years ago)

Post #19696 Fixing random drop targets dropping Posted by swampfire (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rob_g.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#729 9 years ago

I put a shaker motor in my Metallica Premium tonight and I have to say I am disappointed. It feels like it's barely used compared to ACDC where it's simply fantastic! It's set for maximum use too.

Rob

#733 9 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

my premium will be here in a few days. I never played a pin with a shaker. I will report back after playing a few hours. Thursday or Friday.

Just a note if the shaker makes a loud vibrating noise, you can eliminate that by tightening the long threaded screw (across the top) a few turns. I bought shakers for both my ACDC Luci and MET Premium Monsters from Flipper Fidelity.

Rob

#738 9 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpuckguy:

Loving this game.........it beats ACDC in my opinion.

Don't forget MET is now a mostly finished game whereas unfortunately ACDC isn't. I own both and like them a lot, but I do find myself playing MET more because it just feels more diverse and less confining in the rules.

Rob

#743 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Sure, any game could always get more, but whatchootalkingboutwillis?

You know what I'm talking 'bout!

Rob

#744 9 years ago
Quoted from thunderking50:

I think ACDC is done Rob.
Love them both and here to stay... but d'ont know why but the Fun factor is a litlle bit higher on Met .

I think you are absolutely correct as Stern officially sees it. ACDC is done. Whether there is another update is probably going to be something Lyman does on his own time. Regardless if the game still sells well, it's 2 years old and they have new stuff to work on as opposed to spend more time on older product where the code is at a pretty good level. Could it be better? Sure, but right now it's just wishful thinking and only Lyman knows if there will be another update or not. I'm not holding my breath waiting for any more updates. I also passed on ST because of the way the code is and it still hasn't been updated. I'm thinking that game sees one significant update and then it's done too.

Rob

#754 9 years ago

Get 3 lights lit, shoot that target and you blow an engine. So many blown engines (10?) gives an extra ball. I'm not sure what else besides points. It's not a shot I ever go for unless it's to add 2x multiplier during multiball.

Rob

1 month later
#965 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Do you guys get a lot of airballs from sparky?

I used to get A LOT of airballs from sparky. Then I made a new plastic piece that covers the feet.

Remove the existing plastic piece, it's just one clear piece. Trace the outline and cut a new one, but don't cut out the area over the feet.

You should be able to get clear lexan at most glass shops. They may even cut the piece for you for a few bucks...

Rob

20140808_221944[1].jpg20140808_221944[1].jpg

#1034 9 years ago

Locking a ball in the snake during multiball is one of my favorite things to do in this game! Only one time was I able to get the Jack F'ing Pot! from a 4x jackpot.

Rob

#1080 9 years ago

The ball on mine sometimes gets stuck in the left orbit as seen in the picture. This last time it is wedged pretty good so I'll need to take the glass off to investigate.

Rob

20140817_180054.jpg20140817_180054.jpg
#1083 9 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Looks like thr ball guide on the left of the ball in that spot may be a bit tight. Maybe loosen it some and see if you can scooch it over some? Ill take some pics of mine in that area if you want for comparison. Just lemme know

A comparison shot would be appreciated!

Rob

#1084 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

You gotta quite using those cheap non reg balls. Just checked mine and I have a little less then 1/8th inch clearance.

I can't help it if I have big balls...

Rob

#1104 9 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

My replacement premium showed up today, too bad they put a fork in it in the warehouse, I have to wait another week for another replacement.

Argh! Sorry to hear about this! I wonder what happens to the damaged games?

Rob

#1117 9 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

I dunno how well these came out... but basically the whole way up I have about 1/16 inch extra space between the rails and the ball. I used a rag to keep the ball in the tightest spots to get a pic.

20140818_183319.jpg 142 KB

20140818_183209.jpg 145 KB

Mine definitely has less room, but it's not completely tight either. I pushed the lane guide back a bit so I'll see if that cures it.

Rob

1 week later
#1153 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

How can I obtain an electronic copy of the user's guide?
-mof

On the stern website. Go to the game and it's under the manuals section.

Rob

1 week later
#1188 9 years ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

Just got my sub hooked up and I can't stop playing this game. If you're on the fence about a sub, don't be, this game deserves it. I just wish I could figure out a way to stop the hammer from doing it's little bounce, so that the visuals were as awesome as the auditory boom.

I tried different spring tensions and none of them helped reduce the hammer bounce. I think the only solution is a tweak in the software.

Rob

3 weeks later
#1303 9 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

What do you guys think about a shaker in this game? I love shakers. I have one in my IMve and LotR. Just wondering if it's integrated nicely and if I should pick one up for this game.

It's integrated ok, but I think there is room for improvement. For example, there are no shaker effects on the grave multiball - not even the cross rising out of the ground.

Rob

#1304 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

I think the new style pro is nicer than the original, so keep that in mind.

I like the new backbox design and the trim is better looking too.

Rob

#1325 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

There's just not a ton of low end in Metallica is the truth. I have a sub split between Metallica and Tron. Tron is night and day. Metallica is just okay. The spinner drums are nice, and it makes the music fuller, but you're not gonna be blown away by it.

I was contemplating exporting the current music and adding some more low end to it manually (audacity). I don't think it would be night a day better, but it would be an improvement. Thoughts?

edit: I just briefly played around with S&D as a test. I don't think it's going to work, not without making it sound muddy. Can't add what just isn't there...

Rob

#1327 9 years ago

I had a piece of mylar over the sparky magnet, but it was starting to get chewed up. So I replaced it with some leftover Zagg protective film I had which hopefully is more durable.

Rob

4 weeks later
#1535 9 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Metal post is the fix if your machine does it. Not sure why you would be nervous about it being that the old Williams games used metal up posts, in fact it's the TOTAN up post that is the "fix" AFAIK.

Perhaps the plastic post is flexing slightly and transferring reactive energy into the ball?

Rob

#1537 9 years ago
Quoted from tadowhere:

How many people have moved (to the hole closet to apron) the posts/bumpers by the left/right drain?

On ACDC yes! On MET no...

Rob

#1539 9 years ago
Quoted from tadowhere:

funny thing is I just did it friday on Met pro and honestly no difference left/right drain just like b4....

It didn't make much difference on ACDC either. The center drains are %25 more than the left/right which appear about the same.

Rob

#1540 9 years ago

Is anyone seeing airballs off the captiveball? I replaced the block and on dead on shots the ball seems to hop up into the back of the hammer quite often. Some other shots ricochet over the grave markers into the left orbit which has never happened before.

I put a 1mm washer under the captive ball and still saw airballs. I'm going to put the block back in.

Edit #2. I put the block back in. I think there's still slight airballs into the hammer, but at least there shouldn't be any more into the left side of the playfield.

Rob

#1573 9 years ago

Not one. I don't think I've ever seen an airball off the block or the ball.
Is your magnet plate level and not sitting high? Do you have the cliffy ring installed? I would expect those to maybe cause airballs a bit.

Not my game, but I had the same airballs as this guy has.

Notice the ball is also bouncing off the bottom edge of the hammer. This happens with the block too, but at least you don't get the ball flying over the grave markers (with the ball) like at the beginning of the video.

Rob

#1580 9 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

I have never seen air balls off the pro captive ball. Does the replacement parts have the metal hoop around the top of the ball? What about the metal plate under the ball?
I cant tell in the video if those are there. Maybe they help keep air balls down?

I think the ball gets some air going over the coffin magnet even though it's level. Plus with the captive ball on the premium, it leaves the left stainless steel guide a little unprotected. But you know what, you can't see the block or ball with that hammer in the way anyhow so it's kind of moot.

Rob

#1631 9 years ago

I don't even know if the flippers on mine would last 30 minutes. I've checked the EOS and they are gapped correctly, but the coils just seem to heat up more and the flippers get noticeably weaker after 20 minutes of play. This does not happen on my ACDC or ST.

My game also suddenly started having ridiculous ball launch issues where the autoplunge was launching the ball over the shooter lane rail and into the middle of the playfield %50 of the time. I had to tweak the launcher prongs several times to get it to stop.

Rob

#1633 9 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

I cant decide if i like the new pro decal on the speaker panel. Matches the cabinet artwork, and im not sure what else would work. Just not sure if i like it. Maybe im just used to black speaker panel. Idk. Maybe Aurich can work something up..... Hint hint...

I like the new backbox design. The display looks really good when it's not recessed an inch like the older versions. And a decal really finishes it off as opposed to a plain look.

Rob

1 week later
#1692 9 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

Just installed my Sparky plastic, thanks Rick!
I had to do a little trimming around the leg openings and the center with my dremel to get it to fit, but I'm not complaining. The work you had to do and the small price you charge made it a great deal!
Thanks again!

It kind of makes you wonder how the game shipped without a proper plastic piece over the feet. Didn't they see the massive airballs during testing? I saw pictures of a heavily played MET and the magnet area looked really trashed from the airballs. There are dimples and then there's a golf ball. The magnet and surrounding area looked like a golf ball.

Rob

#1700 9 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I have the same problem and it looks like the plunger is off center, to the left, causing my ball to hit the left wall first, then right, then onto the playfield. I have added small washers on the left side to bring the plunger center..

My MET was also launching balls from the shooter lane into the middle of the playfield. I tweaked the auto launch kicker which eventually helped although I'm not sure it's permanently fixed.

Rob

#1737 9 years ago

Argh, the autolaunch on my MET is acting up again! During multiball today it was repeatedly launching balls directly into the right outlane. Yup, flipping them in the air somehow, over the lane guide and down the right oulane. Time to check it out.. again!

Rob

#1740 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Dang, it's happened before?

Yeah, before it was routinely launching balls into the middle of the playfield from the shooter lane. I adjusted the launcher several times before it seemed to be ok, but something is still wrong. The ball just seems to instantly 'go sideways' in the shooter lane like something was blocking its path. Perhaps the shooter lane switch wire is hanging up and acting like a ramp.. I'll check it again.

As comic book guy might say, worst autolaunch ever!

Rob

#1767 9 years ago

Has anyone considered adding the 2 missing flashers to Sparky? There seems to be 4 flasher holes, but only 2 are used.

Rob

2 weeks later
#1858 9 years ago

The left orbit on my MET is pretty tight because of the lane guide position. Is the gap normal between the wood and the metal?

Rob

20141223_145115.jpg20141223_145115.jpg
3 weeks later
#2023 9 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I wish more multiball modes were stackable WITHOUT having to start coffin first. After you get used to it, coffin is not insanely difficult to start, but it is frustrating to HAVE to do coffin first before you can start stacking multiballs.

This is probably related to the Premium and LE having a physical lock mechanism for the coffin. Having other balls flying around while it's trying to lock in the coffin would be very, very bad!

Rob

#2025 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Shoot, I go back and forth on this a lot. I doubt many would miss the difference between the Prem and the LE (mirrored backglass, different cab decals, powder coating) but the difference between the pro and Prem/LE is where it gets tough. I'm more of a pro person (due to budget reasons mainly) but here is where my head always go's when I think about dropping down to a pro and pocketing the $$$ difference:
- Spinners - Pretty cool but I doubt I'd miss them much
- Raising cross - Wouldn't miss
- Hammer - I wouldn't miss the hammer but I would miss the ball lock feature by the balls going into the playfield. That's a really cool feature. If the hammer was smaller it would be even better.
- GI - I would miss this a lot. The way it's integrated into the modes is brilliant. This here alone is what pushed me to the Prem/LE.
- RGB inserts - I don't really notice them all that much so I wouldn't really miss it all that much
At the end of the day I couldn't be happier with my LE and I don't think I would drop to a pro and take the cash but with this title it becomes more of a decision of your budget and how much value you put into the toys vs the gameplay. You'll be happy with either.

Don't forget the snake jaw!

I completely agree with your points though. The one thing that is most outstanding on the premium and le is the lighting effects.

Rob

#2056 9 years ago
Quoted from dgposter:

Quick question on the Premium/LE. Other than the voice that says "lock is lit" for the coffin, is there any other indicator? Is the coffin supposed to flash when lock is lit?

I don't remember seeing any indication and the coffin flash. Maybe it could pulsate slowly... that would be cool!

Rob

#2104 9 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Had a look and it seems like the coffin only lights intermittently for lock. Not sure if it's supposed to. So I think the only way is to access the instant info. Must be a better way.

Yeah some blinking would be nice to know the lock is lit.

Rob

#2110 9 years ago

It's just the nature of the beast with these targets. You can shorten the spring a little to tighten it up, but even after doing that I still get hits with the target not falling. I don't think there is a 100% permanent solution to this.

Rob

1 week later
#2181 9 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Very late to this party, but I have a Dirty Donny Monsters Prem coming next Tuesday or Wednesday. Also just bought my first mod, a sub kit from pinnovators so i can hook up my ACDC Prem and Metallica Prem to my Klipsch Reference RW-12d 12" Powered Subwoofer. Is this thing gonna rock or what?

ACDC yes, MET not so much. MET will sound better of course, but the music has such anemic low end.

Rob

1 month later
#2358 9 years ago

Metallica is going to look sooooooo good with colored dots!

Rob

#2390 9 years ago
Quoted from c2scanada:

Just picked up my new ColourDMD this afternoon but installed it on the wrong machine
The Canadian dollar sucks right now so bought one and installed it on Metallica.

Ain't it the truth! Suddenly a $400 purchase now becomes a $600 purchase. I was hoping not to get nailed at the post office, but had to pay another $60 for taxes. So the total comes to roughly $600 after everything is accounted for. 78 cents US right now.... sucks!

Rob

3 weeks later
#2505 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

That sucks. I've had it happen several times too. Feel screwed when it happens but then I realize it was my fault for shooting weak balls up there.
P.S. - Put a 3 light LED strip under the plastic on the left of that lane. You'll thank me later as it looks like they missed something by not putting GI there.
IMG_6127.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

That coffin magnet looks really off center.

Rob

#2559 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

TOOT TOOOOOT!
This one is gonna live up to the hype. I honestly can't think of a game with better dots than Metallica, they really did an amazing job with it. So many awesome animations. It's going to really come to life in color. I can't wait!

Makes you wonder how they can do such great dots with MET and TWD, but with ST they aren't so good.

Rob

#2572 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Agreed, but I fixed that.
Hammer of Justice (Click image to enlarge)

Your coffin magnet looks way off center! Plus your snake jaw looks a bit high too...

Rob

#2600 8 years ago
Quoted from Hjbondar:

The coffin window on my Metallica is slightly opaque. Is that the case normally. I spoke with my vendor who indicated that the ones they had on their floor were like that too. In way of reference, sort of like the early AC/DC lower play field issue - but not quite as bad. thanks

I would say mine is cloudy too.

Rob

#2663 8 years ago
Quoted from Adios:

Thanks Rick, my sparky air ball protector showed up today! If anybody is looking for a good mod at a great price contact Rick, Fast delivery too..it beat my machine here

I don't understand how the lack of a proper protector gets past whitewood testing and quality control? I saw a picture of a MET with a few thousand plays on it and the dimpling on the upper playfield looked absolutely awful.

Before anyone plays one ball on their game, the sparky protector is a must!

Rob

#2908 8 years ago

I've actually timed out hurry-ups to NOT start S&D. That is basically impossible to do in a multiball though.

Not as stupid as Blackened is to start.....

Rob

#3031 8 years ago

I was thinking it might be fun if a person was allowed to change the song after each CIU mode.

Rob

#3165 8 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

My playfield don't line up when lowering back into place. I literately have to slam it into place. Is that normal? I ask cuz its my first Stern so not sure. It sure is a "clunky" process with quite a few bumps before you can lower it. I really dred lifting the playfield, and I shouldn't feel that way. Any easy adjustments to line it up? The 2 hooks on the playfield when lowered gently, miss the slots on the cabinet by like 1/8-1/2 inch, I then lift it up abit and SLAM it down and it goes in, but only if I SLAM it. Its always been like this. I had asked someone about this, and they said normal, but I don't think so. I is a PITA. I dont lift the playfield up much, but like to get it right, but not sure how, or where to begin. Any help from fellow owners is needed and appreciated!

I had problems with the hooks on my MET (Premium) not lining up properly as well, but the playfield on my game is also warped (to be fixed by Stern). When the playfield is pushed back as far as it can go, the cabinet levelling can really affect how these hooks line up so check that first. You can loosen the hook screws and adjust slightly, or slightly enlarge the holes on the hooks so you can adjust more.

Rob

#3229 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

YES! I ordered like 15 balls from PBL. Just LOOK at the stern balls when you get them. They aren't even high shiny nice looking...

The stock Stern balls are not even usable in the premium. They will get magnetized within a few games and then get stuck in the coffin lock.

Rob

#3233 8 years ago

What's the stainless steel left orbit guide like on your MET? Does the stainless steel guide touch the side rail? On mine it doesn't and there's just enough room for the ball. It seems like there should be a bit more room...

Rob

#3332 8 years ago
Quoted from Adios:

Pissed,image.jpg (Click image to enlarge) less than 3 weeks nib playfield is chipped up around sparky magnet! Any ideas to fix or cover?

Can you find the paint chip? You can probably glue it back in place.

Rob

#3380 8 years ago
Quoted from chet218:

I recently bought Metallica pro LED and hooked up a polk 10 inch sub using alligator clips. I have done this in the past with Star Trek premium and Tron pro. I feel I'm not getting the near the same amount of bass on Metallica as I was with the other two games. Anyone else have this concern or any tips/suggestions?
Thanks

That's just the way it is. The music doesn't have much low end to begin with. The sub helps, but it's not as good as other games.

Rob

2 weeks later
#3599 8 years ago

#3612 8 years ago

Acting as intended. The snake is still available to start snake mb in coffin mb. It is a bit confusing with the snake lock multiball feature as it's tough to tell what exactly the snake is open for, but it does open when you shoot a snake shot of any kind inside coffin mb prior to stacking another mb.
You can stack snake, chair, or cross with coffin. It doesn't end coffin mb, but the stacked mb will take presidence in terms of lighting, dots, and music which makes it seem like coffin has ended, but it doesn't.

Are you absolutely sure? Try it with the glass off and see if coffin shots still score jackpots. When I tried they don't seem to score jackpots any more. You just get the regular ball hitting the coffin animation with how many hits are left to lock the ball. That in itself doesn't seem correct.

Rob

#3619 8 years ago

It's always possible you have found a glitch in the code, but starting and stacking any of the other 3 multiballs inside of coffin multiball is both possible, and glitch-free for me. Coffin continues to run underneath the new multiball started.
Note that a single coffin shot in coffin mb relights unclaimed coffin jackpots (purple spider arrows). Repeated coffin shots themselves don't keep scoring jackpots in coffin mb. Perhaps its a simple misunderstanding of the rules of coffin mb? The jackpot progression in coffin mb is Coffin -> spider arrow -> coffin -> spider arrow... over and over until all spider arrows are collected. Then the super is lit at the coffin. If you just keep hammering the coffin you will get no jackpots past the first relight - no clue what the dmd does so I don't know if this matches your symptoms.
I'll try to record it I get a chance.

Ok, I tested again with the glass off. While coffin multiball is probably still running, it's hard to tell that it is. Yes, I was mistaken about the rules as well.

Rob

2 months later
#4412 8 years ago

How many here have not mylared the sparky magnet? How well is that area holding up? I know mylar on the magnet will get chewed up in probably 50 games, but it would have been nice if Stern put mylar donuts on the game like IM.

Rob

4 months later
#5728 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Stern is not going to help you, this is not covered under warranty. Not sure what you expect them to do after over 8+ months of ownership? Are you trying to get a new PF? If so, that seems unlikely.

That's tough to say. I had a MET premium playfield replaced after 8 months of ownership. It was warped so that was a considerable defect. I would go through the distributor, not Stern. I went through Stern and it turned out to be a 5 month long hassle to get resolved.

Rob

#5732 8 years ago

Good distributors will certainly help, and that new PF went well "above and beyond the call of duty".
Glad it worked out, although doing a swap out is still a PITA.
Stern is rare to react in these circumstances now.
Times have changed, and they generally will "feel" for an owner (might even give the owner a free door prize), but are required to do nothing.

Well, I do believe the new playfield was warranted. The playfield was twisted diagonally front to back which affected gameplay and also how the playfield sat in the cabinet. If we tried to adjust the levelling, the playfield would jam in place and could not be pulled out. Stern didn't have any populated playfields to swap it with so I sent my playfield back and they moved everything over to a new playfield for me. Yes, I do appreciate that they replaced the playfield for me. There was another person with a MET pro who had his playfield replaced because of significant paint chipping around the sparky magnet. Much worse than what the other person posted and that I replied to. I saw a picture of another MET playfield where the surrounding magnet area significantly sunk in, but I don't think that guy had any luck getting a replacement.

Rob

#5800 8 years ago

For you LE and Premium owners. Does your hammer 'bounce' when it activates? The hammer on my game goes down, comes up a bit and then goes down again. Last year I experimented with different spring tensions on the coil assembly, but that did not help. Has anyone found a solution for this?

Rob

#5833 8 years ago

This is a coil trigger activation signal issues coming from MPU or code from what I see.
Almost like a "double tap" feedback signal after the disappearing magnet assembly activates.
Conversely, the MPU might be sending two signals to the hammer, one at activation and one when the ball drops.
Testing would be required.
It has nothing to do directly with the physical hammer assembly or springs.
Which leads me to an assessment...
The one thing I see that COULD fix the problem is adding a 1N4004 or 1N4007 diode to the 26-1200 hammer coil.
It would be a very easy test using temporary wire leads and a diode during gameplay, and would not damage anything.

The spring is mechanically related because that is a force the coil has to fight against to keep the hammer in the down position. It seems to me like the coil fires, attempts to hold and then fires the coil again. It's the hold attempt where the hammer comes back up a bit. Code probably could fix it if the coil pulse was changed.

Rob

#5890 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

What kind of LED goes in behind the Snake head? It's a green flat top LED I assume.. but it's on a flasher circuit in the manual.
But I only see #555 style 6.3V LEDs in that form factor from my browsing. Which bulb do I need for that spot?

http://cointaker.com/products/copy-of-3-89-super-5-copy-of-89-super-5

The original is white, but green looks much better!

Rob

#5895 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

But that would be the big ugly exposed LED type... what is in there stock? Stock is a domed LED of some sort...

I thought you were talking about the flasher hidden behind the snake, not the LED above the head. If you search cointaker or pinball life websites you might find something.

Rob

#5907 8 years ago
Quoted from Gorno:

Hopefully you get yours earlier than me. I have been impatiently waiting since the 13th of January. Starting to get really antsy. Not expected to get stock in Canada until February 10th at best.

You will need another shaker and colordmd MET looks really great in color!

Rob

2 weeks later
#6081 8 years ago
Quoted from Beemus:

New premium owner here. What's the thought behind captive ball instead of block? Is it for look or is there a functional benefit? I'd imagine the captive ball has the potential to create air balls if magnet in front isn't level but as long as it's level have at it

You are correct on the airballs and that is why I removed mine. I don't mind the block - you don't even see it during play.

1 month later
#6595 7 years ago

Playing some MET today and had a few observations and questions for maybe those that know:

- There's an opto at the base of Sparky's feet which detects hits. Does the standup between the feet score different than the opto switch or is it basically the same?

- I had multiball going and shot the snake while the other ball drained. I got the display for 2x playfield scoring, but the snake spit the ball back out, there was no add a ball and no 2x playfield scoring. Looks be a minor bug I guess.

- I'm wondering what happens to some modes when CIU is started. For example, I had the coffin hurry up lit and started CIU. The coffin hurry up did not appear to score after CIU started.

- Does anyone really care about shooting the piston target? I NEVER go for that shot. The 2x multiplier from there 'seems' to time out much quicker than the snake 20 second timer.

- The snake mouth can be open at the start of a multiball, but doesn't count for 2x and add a ball. It has to be closed and then opened again by the guitar picks. Maybe this is a minor bug too?

- Wish there was a visual cue for coffin lock lit (premium)

- What's the highest score multiplier you can get in the game? It doesn't usually get very big because of the way the targets work.

- Started CIU with the drop targets down. They stayed down during CIU. Maybe they should reset? I was playing Enter Sandman and after only 20 seconds and a few hits (some to the back target opto) the collect was already lit. So soon?

Met plays very well rounded with a good balance of risk and reward. I think I haven't even really figured out a lot of the more subtle nuances of the game even after 2 years of ownership.

Rob

2 weeks later
#6895 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Only thing that annoys me is when the call out says "casket multiball"

Or he just says "Casket".

Rob

#6896 7 years ago

Ugh! My premium has the balls magnetized and stuck in the coffin lock again. These are pinball life premium balls and have been good up until last night. I had to turn the game off because it was like the balls are literally glued in there.

Rob

3 weeks later
#7035 7 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Premie/LE owners - Game level and plays perfect but still infrequent ball jam in coffin mechanism. Taking glass off is getting old. Any easy fix you guys have for it?

The balls jam because they are magnetized. You can try replacing them and see if that helps. Pinball Life premium balls work ok, but even those can magnetize over time. If you have another game without magnets, try swapping the balls between MET and that game. I don't know of any permanent fix.

Rob

#7036 7 years ago

I played some more MET Premium last night and this is just such a well rounded game where you can pick and choose what you want to do. None of the shots ever feel frustrating and cheap drains just don't happen. It's not a hard game game to play, but it's certainly not easy to master either.

Rob

#7043 7 years ago
Quoted from trimoto:

Well I just had the worst thing happened on my game it is a pro made Apr 8 2015 HUO, maybe 1000 Play. The Play field art is popping off in dime size peaces and decals are falling off ...wtf ...
I sure hope stern makes this right . These are
Like Comercial grade machin they should hold up to lots of abuse.

Pics?

Rob

#7044 7 years ago
Quoted from HankScorpio:

Hi everyone,
I am selling my Cross, Chair, Coffin & Chair LED insert mod I mentioned in this thread a while back. You can check it out here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-metallica-led-insert-mod-cross-chair-coffin-snake-1
I have 5 sets left for this run. Thanks!

Personally I would go blue on the cross and purple on the chair. The blue cross would then match the GI patterns on the premium. I have the led boards to do it myself (well, with help), but have not installed them yet.

Rob

1 week later
#7115 7 years ago

What does it mean when James says "Spit it out!". Or that is what it sounds like...

Rob

#7129 7 years ago

Unpeen the magnet core by grinding or replace the core and relevel.
Install carbon Cliffy protectors, and the damage will be unnoticeable.
Do this with both magnets.
This is the best solution, unless you want to keep pestering your distributor to see if Stern will give into a new playfield for you.
I really do not know what Stern's policy is right now due to various inquiries on this problem, as I have seen the cards flip both ways for owners. I think people may see more of your answer now, as MET production is slowly being phased out.
I cannot speak for what is worse of better either, because my personal game was built in November 2015, did not exhibit this problem, and protectors were installed before gameplay. 2500 games or so on the audits.
I can state if the magnet cores were not level from the factory when the game was received, this exact shown damage happens quickly.

Is it just a few of the pro playfields that were chipping? I haven't read about a premium playfield having that problem - yet.

Rob

1 month later
#7417 7 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Just wanna say thanks to Lyman for not only giving more importance to the pic targets, but finally addressing the spinner w/ some righteous reasoning to rip them!

You only get 1 shot of elevated points per completion of pic targets. The problem is that there's nothing to tell you the spinner is ready to be hit for higher points. It would have been cool if the orbit lights would have acted like runway lights so you know there's points to be had. Or use the color changing inserts with a new color.... Sorry, not trying to nitpick here, just making an observation that a visual cue would have been nice.

As for those saying the haven't heard new callouts. I noticed that there is an extra, final callout after electric chair multiball is done. Also a band member callout after Sparky fried, which I'm not sure I heard before.

The light show for when the coffin hurryup is ready is pretty subtle.

I've heard callouts for when the ball is locked in the snake for playfield multiplied scoring.

Oh and for colordmd owners, the Battery opening animation needs to be fixed now.

The CIU mystery is a very nice touch!

Rob

#7418 7 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I didn't hear anything new either. Played a few multi balls and Enter Sandman.
Lighting looked different to me when you locked a ball or started Fuel, etc. Dimmed then, red then back to normal.
Maybe I hadn't played it in a while and didn't notice before?

I thought the lighting looked a bit different too in certain spots, like the effects were cranked up a bit.

Rob

#7477 7 years ago
Quoted from Blackstorm:

One of the best things I like with the new code is now the Blown Pistons is actually worth going for. Before it was almost impossible to reach 10 blown pistons for the extra ball. Now I can get it on almost everytime I play. Keeps getting better and better. Lovin the new code

Are blown pistons only good for an extra ball or do they count for anything else? What's the difference between when the lights are solid as opposed to blinking?

Rob

#7561 7 years ago
Quoted from V4Vendetta:

My hammer magnet is sitting little bit higher and isn't flush to the playfield. How do I level it out? I looked under the playfield and don't really know what to do. Can someone help me out?

I'm at work right now, but later I can post pics on how to do it. It's fairly easy to level.

Rob

#7585 7 years ago
Quoted from V4Vendetta:

My hammer magnet is sitting little bit higher and isn't flush to the playfield. How do I level it out? I looked under the playfield and don't really know what to do. Can someone help me out?

It's covered in the manual:

Rob

magcore_(resized).jpgmagcore_(resized).jpg

#7599 7 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

I had the chance to speak with Lyman at the Pintastic show and thank him for the latest code update. Cool guy to talk to. He said a bug was discovered after the 1.7 release, I guess the music after the game is over cuts off too early. He's fixing it and releasing that update soon. If you haven't installed 1.7 yet and want to wait, prob a smart idea. If you already installed 1.7 the bug isn't that big a deal but just wanted you all to know.

I wish someone would ask him about ACDC code. I'd just like to know if it's final or not.

If he's going to release a bugfix, I hope he considers adding a insert light effect for when the spinner is ready for big points.

Rob

1 week later
#7714 7 years ago

I finally got around to replacing the large insert LED's on my MET Premium. I used the Cointaker SPIKE led boards (http://cointaker.com/products/stern-spike-led). I colour coded them as follows:

Red - Coffin
Blue - Cross
Purple - Sparky
Green - Snake

Oh, and did anyone ever add the extra sparky flashers where there's holes?

20160717_164057_(resized).jpg20160717_164057_(resized).jpg

#7743 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Took my Polk sub from the Mustang and although it sounds great on Mustang (better Stern speakers in 2014 ?), not loud enough on MET. Need speaker upgrade immediately.

Save your money. The sound (music) quality on MET is not that great to begin with. Most are happy with the polk sub and that is the best solution there is.

Rob

#7746 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

This is an A+ game and it deserves an A++ sound system. I probably misread you brough.

What I mean to say is, the sound quality will probably not be any better if you change the speakers. If you search threads, maybe even this one, you will find some more info on that. The sub is really the best option. I'm just saying spending money on speakers will probably not give you the results you want.

Rob

#7793 7 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

I updated the magnet board but I still have issues. There was a setting on old code I changed but I haven't found it in the settings under the new code. I was wondering if anyone else had any fixed. I am not too worried about the wobble of the ball but I am concerned about the ball not catching which really effects game play.

I think what you describe is normal and also how my game plays.

Rob

1 month later
#8317 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

That's what I'm afraid of....its just a very difficult decision...i got the money for the premium but a lot of people say its not worth the extra 2K...

Maybe not to those people, but to others it is certainly worth it. It's a matter of opinion for some and affordability for others. I say go with a premium if you can afford it. But, that's just my opinion.

Rob

4 weeks later
#8544 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Right between the slings

It's good to buy a small level for checking front and back of playfield. It can be level at one end, but not at the other.

Rob

1 month later
#8643 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

is it just me or are some of the songs volumes lower than others? Example- unforgiven and sad but true. It's like the volume of those were recorded lower than the rest which ends up requiring me to open the door each time to get good volume from the song.
Maybe pinbrowser can be user to replace them with louder versions?

Add a subwoofer to the game. MET is the weakest sounding Stern game that I own. I can't imagine playing it without a sub....

Rob

3 months later
#9183 7 years ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

Hey guys just curious as I'm new to the game and learning still. It seems most of my audio (call outs and music) is coming from the speaker in the bottom of the cab and almost nothing from the head speakers. I have to almost put my ear to the speakers to hear anything from the ones in the head. Are they typically set up that way? I did the latest patch as mine was behind and that didn't change anything audio wise. I see the different menus for sound but it's hard to tell if I should leave it like that or move some more sounds into the head speakers. I'm going to upgrade the speakers and want it to sound the best. Not that it sounds bad coming from the bottom of the cabinet I'm just wondering if I'm missing something here. Thanks!

Make sure one of the speakers isn't wired backwards.

Rob

1 week later
#9347 7 years ago

I really want a new code release for MET now... One that adds a light effect for when the spinner (LE/PREM) is ready for a higher scoring shot (added in last code release). Right now there's no way to easily know when that is. Great code really has made this game sell well!

Rob

1 week later
#9518 7 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

Re: waxing, you don't necessarily have to before the first plays. Some people like to. I put 400 games into my WoZRR before waxing it and it didn't get any wear from having done so. I'll probably do the exact same thing for my Metallica.

I don't wax any of my Stern games. Clean them with Novus 1 occaisionally and it's all good.

Rob

#9542 7 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I got a question...is it wrong to play a few games with the tilt bob taken off?! Only after a 100 games or so?! Hahah..cause it sure was fun!

If the game is GB, then no it's not wrong. I haven't installed the one on my game yet!

Rob

#9581 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

What about the loud hummm noise I get from the right flipper? That is sooo odd! The left also gives the hummm sound but it's a lot less than the right flipper...

That's because it can't remember the words!

The hum is normal. You can alleviate (reduce) it by loosening/tightening the coil stop or filing the coil stop slightly.

Rob

#9582 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Really? Unreal....I just can't get it to fall in there. Right side does go in but not the left.

You may need to adjust the leg levellers. If they are not even (or the floor isn't) it can cause the cabinet to twist a little and then the hooks don't line up with the receiver.

Rob

#9591 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Mines a new one also... u just use the peg holes/bolts.

No, those are not the right holes to use. Usually there's a piece of paper that comes with the brackets that tells you how to measure where holes need to be drilled.

Rob

#9595 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Thats fine and great , but mine work fine and i didnt have to drill anything . Why drill holes if you dont need to ?

As long as it fits, it's all good. I don't bother with the rails any more because their too costly to bring into Canada.

Rob

#9666 7 years ago

That was my game.

One of the things I did to try and resolve it was remove the playfield hook assemblies one at a time. Enlarge the holes a bit with a drill and then mount them back. Tighten them when the playfield is sitting down in place with the hooks in the slot.

Rob

#9755 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Oh shit. I seem to recall some kind of problem where the Sparky coil can lock on if you power on the game with the coin door open. I thought this was fixed in later runs, though.

I thought one of the more recent code updates also addressed this issue? Or tried to at least...

Rob

#9856 7 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

That's really my only complaint about Metallica's design. They could have easily labeled the Fuel Lane arrow 2X or something & made it a different color than the other arrow inserts. Then it would have been easy to visually see 2x scoring was available & when it is running.

On the Premium/LE models, the spider insert flashes pink for 2x scoring. You don't have the RGB inserts on the pro.

Rob

#9978 7 years ago
Quoted from cards25:

Installed my first ColorDMD into a game yesterday. Of course it was for my MET. Went pretty smooth, instruction on their website could be updated a bit, but overall not too big of a problem. What a fantastic mod!!!!!
Anyone that hasn't done this yet, you are missing out. Can't believe I waited this long to do it.

What mode did you use for the colordmd? DOTSXL is popular.

Rob

2 weeks later
#10213 7 years ago
Quoted from Thanos75:

Now that ColorDmd has screens back in stock I'm really torn between the LCD or the LED. Other than videos and pics I have never seen one in person. I know everyone says it comes down to personal preference but in the end which one is better for this game?

LCD and DOTSXL mode for the win!

Rob

#10238 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Your magnet core is pretty high.... and u sld get the extended sparky protector.

I thought the same thing. There's an IJ4 on route with a magnet that kind of looks like that, but the playfield has actually sunk around the magnet core about about 1/8 inch. It was bad enough the ball would get stuck in the divot!

Rob

#10258 7 years ago
Quoted from oohlou:

Is my snake jaw too high?
What is the concensus on lowering it? Washers from the bottom?
I feel like the snake rejects more than it should. Really I can only get it in by banking it off the newton cube.
Jaw up:

Jaw down:

Jaw down, different angle:

Your snake jaw is too high. Mine was exactly like yours too. There are 2 popular opinions for fixing this which can be found by searching pinside threads:

1: There is a screw adjustment on the release coil mechanism which may help if adjusted. But, that really isn't for adjusting the jaw height and has more to do with adjusting the latching mechanism. Adjusting this had no effect on my game.

2: Remove the snake mechanism and remount it with washers as spacers between the playfield and mechanism. I glued 2 thick washers in place at EVERY screw hole on the mechanism which made remounting it easy. 1/8 inch on my game did the trick.

Rob

#10263 7 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

If that is toast, mine is like Chernobyl. I do intend to get the pro setup though. Which reminds me ....where can this be purchased again?

I had the newton ball on my premium, but put back the block. The reason is that I was getting airballs of the ball.

Rob

#10265 7 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Ive never had an issue with air balls on my road case. Did you get the newton ball with the metal base?

Yes. I don't mind the block since the hammer obscures it anyhow.

Rob

4 months later
#11330 6 years ago
Quoted from Alex_swe:

We Only got one distributor in Scandinavia.. I really hope they will make another run.

MeT and GoT are both done for 2017. This was posted on Stern's Facebook page a few months ago. There's also no guarantee of any more in 2018 either.

Rob

1 week later
#11448 6 years ago

Never happened on my game. I thought the plastic was broken on yours at first, but I guess it isn't.

Rob

#11450 6 years ago
Quoted from Macca101010:

Thanks Rob, yeh been looking at my game to be sure there's nothing broken...can't see anything. It's not a biggie only happens occasionally but just thought i'd ask to see if anyone else had experienced this.

Here's mine for reference. I haven't tried to fit a ball in that spot though.

edit: I tried and a ball on my game would get stuck there too. But, ball search would free it when the hammer moves.

Rob

20170820_004855 (resized).jpg20170820_004855 (resized).jpg

#11453 6 years ago

MET Tidbits:

Try disabling the auto plunge on ball lock if you have a premium/LE model. You get an extra skill shot for every lock!

Hold the flipper button during plunge for a super skill shot, but still try to hit the top lanes, especially the right one. You will get a multiplied super skill shot!

Rob

3 weeks later
#11541 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Should the hammer magnet catch a faster moving ball? Mine needs an indirect shot or a slow rollover to catch it.

Sounds normal.

Rob

#11563 6 years ago
Quoted from GrimDog:

Anyone know why the mystery hole would randomly not register a hit? I recently began hitting the hole and sometimes it pops right out without tripping mystery/extra ball/CIU

The switch needs adjustment because it is not staying closed when the ball goes in the scoop.

Rob

#11603 6 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

Just wondering if the snake jaw is supposed to be flush with the PF? If so, how do you adjust?
Here are some pics of my snake with the jaw open.

The only way I could adjust mine was to remount the snake assembly with spacer washers between it and the playfield.. Mine was a lot higher than yours with the mouth open.

Quoted from gweempose:

I don't own a premium/LE, but isn't there a screw underneath to adjust the height?

There is an adjustment screw on the jaw latch coil assembly. Some say adjusting it helps, but for me it made no difference. Looking at the design, I don't think it was intended as a height adjustment.

Rob

#11610 6 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

Looks like the screws to take out the snake are a bit stripped from the factory. I rather not open Pandoras box. How is the height of your snake in relation to mine?

Here's pictures of mine both open and closed. The glass was on so there's a bit of reflection, but you get the idea. I think yours is fine and doesn't need any adjustment.

Rob

20170920_032703 (resized).jpg20170920_032703 (resized).jpg
20170920_032709 (resized).jpg20170920_032709 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#11662 6 years ago

I'm having a lot of trouble with the wedge sockets on my game. I've had to readjust many bulbs because they were flickering or going out.

Rob

#11664 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Have you been adjusting the bulb wires. moving them off to the side then putting the bulb in?

I have had to adjust a few, but then a few more start having issues. At various locations on the playfield too, but of course the worst offenders are near high vibration areas like the flippers. I think I have about 4 or 5 which I need to adjust, but I just haven't felt like opening the game yet.

Rob

1 month later
#11971 6 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

$2000 extra for a rising cross and a coffin ball lock feature (deadly mods available for that tho) seems a bit high. You could buy an F-14 tomcat with that money! I say stick with the pro & spend the money on a nice playing SS.

You missed a bunch of features:

Rising Cross
Moving snake jaw that closes and holds the ball during multiball
Red White Blue colored GI
Hammer smashing the ball into the playfield - physical lock
RGB spider inserts
1 piece fuel target
Playfield slide rails
Spinners which now have a unique scoring rule as of the latest code release

I think the extras are certainly worth it. Although, I bought my Met Premium back in 2013 for $7800 Cdn delivered... Times have changed since then...

Rob

#11985 6 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

but not wash out the music with to much bass.

Is that even possible on this game?!

Rob

1 week later
#12077 6 years ago

Is there any scoring difference between closing the opto switch (with the ball) before Sparky's feet and hitting the target between his feet?

Rob

1 week later
#12135 6 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

Are there any instructions for replacing the block with the PBL captive ball in a Met Premium? Did a search through this thread but didn't see any instructions. Thanks in advance!

I don't recommend it as you *may* see airballs happen from the captive ball. I put the block back on my game because of this. Others say they don't get airballs, but this was my experience. Yes, the magnet was flush with the playfield too.

Rob

#12141 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I replaced my block with captive ball day 1 and have never had an airball issue. It helps, because sometimes you can bank a shot off the ball into the snakes mouth. It is really straight forward, just take the block out by removing nuts under the playfield, and replace it with the captive ball assembly

Quoted from TimeBandit:

The only way to get an airball off the captive is to strike it above the equator. Some installations of captives into the premium, without using the assembly, may not place a washer under the ball to raise it a bit. Once that is screwed in it will be pulled down a little bit and hits will strike it above center. Airball central.

I had the right spacer plate and everything on my Premium. What I think was happening was the ball was getting a little air as it travelled over the magnet core. I re-leveled the core, but never bothered to put the newton ball back in. The block doesn't bother me at all.

Oh, the playfield was also warped which may have contributed. It was replaced by Stern.

Rob

#12159 6 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

Minor issue on my NIB Premium. Figured i'd post it here before calling Stern. Did a forum search and didn't find much. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue.
During certain times in a game, I start hearing a humming or buzzing noise, which sounds like it's 'underneath' the music and speech. It's not crazy loud, compared to the other sounds, but you can definitely hear it when it's there. It scales up & down when you adjust the volume of the game. Possibly starts happening when Lock is lit. I went into the tests to try and determine what is triggering it, and found that it's being caused by the Coffin Magnet. When the magnet is trying to detect a ball, you hear this humming noise 'underneath' all the other audio. Like I said, it's not ridiculously loud, but you do notice it right away, and it just doesn't seem normal to me.
I hear this noise coming from the speakers during the "1.Detect/Grab" test, and the "3.Detect" test.
During the "2.Detect/Hold" test, you don't hear noise from the speakers, but the machine actually starts to vibrate ever-so-slightly, and it makes a different noise, which is more mechanical sounding, and seems to come from the mechanism itself...not from the speakers. I assume THIS is normal? If so, only wondering about the noise coming from the speakers during the other Coffin Magnet tests, as described above.
Anyone else experience this sort of thing?
Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

It's normal.

Rob

1 month later
#12328 6 years ago
Quoted from AJB4:

premium has the extra features you detailed AND also has the different colors of gi with varying lighting schemes ---> PLUS the SPINNERS!!!! Which to me make the premium the one to go for...

Don't forget the closing snake jaw. Plus the spinners now have a uniqe scoring rule as of the last code update. Hopefully the next code update actually shows you when it's active...

Rob

#12342 6 years ago
Quoted from AJB4:

Very few haters on this game, that is for sure.

They are all too busy hatin' Star Wars...

Rob

1 month later
#12786 6 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

The best sounds from the sub on METLE/PREM are the spinners.

The hammer drop ain't no slouch either!

Rob

2 months later
#13480 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Snake ate my bulb. Don't know how it got all the way down there. I don't know how to get it out without yaki g the whole mech off, which I really don't want to do. Snake is working fine.

Wrap tape around your finger tip, but with sticky side out. Then stick your finger in the snake mouth.

Or fish a long piece of tape into the mouth and press it against the bulb. Pull tape out along with bulb.

Rob

#13485 5 years ago

Even played GoT and had Winter Is Coming hurry up? Or escape Boba Fett on SW? That's exactly what the GI is now doing on my MeT Premium. Now that I have some time I will check for taught wiring/connectors and what else?

Rob

#13501 5 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

Disconnect and reconnect the data cable both at the backbox and where it goes under the playfield. It looks like a grey ethernet cable. This will solve your problem either for awhile or for good depends on whether the connection is firm or not.

I thought that data cable drives the RGB inserts, not the GI..

Rob

#13538 5 years ago

For MET Premium/LE owners:

Check the power connector on your RGB driver board, under the middle of the playfield. The power connector on mine is starting to discolor and will need to be replaced. It was very warm to the touch when I noticed this too, so the pins must be getting hot.

Maybe this connector needs an upgrade with trifurcon pins.

Rob

20180602_214659 (resized).jpg20180602_214659 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#13835 5 years ago

I noticed today while playing my Met Premium that the flippers got weaker after 4 or 5 games. I knew it was the coils getting hot, but I don't know why this is happening. The EOS are ok in switch test mode and so are the flipper cabinet switches. They are not getting hot enough to burn your finger if you touch them, but certainly hot enough to be weaker. The left flipper could barely make the right ramp. None of my other SAM games have ever had this problem.

Rob

#13852 5 years ago

Meallica Premium snake mouth switch. Normally closed and opens when the jaw is hit, is this correct?

I'm seeing rare occurrences where the ball goes in the snake mouth and is immediately spit out, but the shot doesn't count for anything and there's no sound/light effect either.

Rob

#13855 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

Not quite sure of the differences between the Pro and Premium but was the green light lit above the snakes head prior to shooting the snake? On the pro sometimes I find you have to shoot the snake just to get one of the snake inserts to light at which point it behaves like you've described except it actually lights some of the snake inserts, but nothing happening on the DMD or lights on the actual snake scoop. Then you need shoot one of the lit snake shots before you can shoot the actual snake and actually score a letter. Might that be the case on the Premium too?

Yes, the green light was lit, that I do remember. The premium operates like this:

Ball 1 start Snake Jaw is open.
Shoot in the mouth, mouth closes, letter is collected, snake insert (where blue insert is) is lit, mouth opens, ball spits out, mouth closes, green light turns off
Shoot a snake insert or the snake jaw to open the mouth again, the green light is turned on again.
Shoot ball in snake mouth to advance SNAKE and maybe light another insert.

If the ball goes in the mouth and the green light is on, it should count as a valid shot.

The snake mouth is a really cool toy by the way!

Rob

#13857 5 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Very common issue, also happens in the mystery scoop kickout. The switch can register a ball to kick out, but needs slightly further engagement to actually register the hit. First try loosening the switch screws and repositioning so the actuator protrudes further into the mouth, otherwise you can bend the actuator arm.

Shades of that damn KISS scoop switch! I should have thought of that...

Rob

#13859 5 years ago

Very common issue, also happens in the mystery scoop kickout. The switch can register a ball to kick out, but needs slightly further engagement to actually register the hit. First try loosening the switch screws and repositioning so the actuator protrudes further into the mouth, otherwise you can bend the actuator arm.

I pulled the whole snake assembly because it's easier to adjust the switch(es) that way. The wires were crossed through with other wires I could not disconnect so I had to remove 1 switch and 1 coil before I could pull the assembly out. I've had it out before, but this is the first time I've had it out on the replacement playfield. The wiring could have been done better, but it is what it is. I'll get it sorted out.......

Rob

#13870 5 years ago
Quoted from JB-7X:

This morning my wife totally surprised me for my birthday and gave me the color dmd for my MET premium that I’ve been wanting forever. The fact that she was able to find where to get it and get the right one without really knowing much about my hobby just blew me away. I guess she does listen when I ramble on about this stuff. I don’t get surprised very often but this was one of those times!
Can’t wait for the work day to be over so I can get it installed. This is the last add on I wanted before considering my game complete.
Any pro tips for the install as far as stuff I should watch out for??

I just can't imagine MeT without a colordmd now......

Rob

#13875 5 years ago

The switch was as closed as it was going to get with a ball in the mouth, so that leads me to believe the switch is going bad. It seems like a fairly crappy microswitch which doesn't have a good 'click' when it closes/opens. I have a replacement, switch, but the arm cannot be transferred from the old switch so I will have to make a new one.

Rob

#13878 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

The switch was as closed as it was going to get with a ball in the mouth, so that leads me to believe the switch is going bad. It seems like a fairly crappy microswitch which doesn't have a good 'click' when it closes/opens. I have a replacement, switch, but the arm cannot be transferred from the old switch so I will have to make a new one.
Rob

The switch was replaced, all is good now.

Rob

1 week later
#13952 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

So I was hoping that replacing all magnet coils and magnet board would fix the issues with the hammer coil, but the new board makes a high pitched screeching sound. This occurs when the magnet is in detect mode. When in holding or grabbing mode the magnet makes a vibrating sound. I'm less concerned about the vibrating sound as that could perhaps just be an issue with not tightening firm enough (replacing that magnet coil was a bit of a pain). However, that high pitch certainly can't be normal. Unfortunately, I've yet to see the hammer magnet working properly on my Metallica Premium.

The high pitched noise is normal.

Rob

#13969 5 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

There is no way to bypass the Sparky intro. I like it but it would be great if Lyman could code in a setting to disable it.

I don't know why some people are so annoyed by stuff like this which they claim 'slows down the game'. Might as well put in code for when you press start it immediately goes into game over mode. Now that plays 'fast'!

Rob

#13991 5 years ago

Who here has made it to EOTL, the final wizard mode?

Rob

#14003 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I had 2 CIUs in a single game once. Both of them were pathetic. I always get greedy and try to double it. I’ve also learned it’s the fastest way to lose your ball, yet I keep trying.

I have done 2 CIU, but I usually rush into the shots too fast and thus drain too quickly. I'm going to try harder once I get my game set back up in my new place. Maybe lower CIU requirements would help a bit?

Rob

#14007 5 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

I have seen this condition only one time. I forget what machine it was, but I turned it off and left the operator a note to change that ball out before it ruined his playfield. It looked like a "moon" ball with all the craters and facets, and was darker in color than a normal ball. I assume it just wasn't hardened properly.

I saw this on a location game too. The ball looked almost like a golf ball. I told them about it and I think it got replaced.

Rob

1 week later
#14027 5 years ago

Ok, so the next question

How many of you reach Blackened or Seek and Destroy?

Blackened seems tougher to get to... S&D not too bad if you concentrate on completing the ramp inserts.

I love the S&D music intro! Blackened is very cool too!

Rob

#14040 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Get this and thank me later Every pinhead should have one in their toolbox.
https://www.harborfreight.com/15-lb-capacity-telescoping-magnetic-pickup-tool-95933.html
These can be a lifesaver as well. I know HF has them but just can't find them online to link them for you though. But here it is from another company for about the same price.
https://www.toolusa.com/products/s1-04036?variant=10165876949035&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyZDVoez73AIVCS9pCh3gZAYoEAkYCSABEgKkHPD_BwE

I just taped a magnet on the end of a long zip tie and it's been in my toolbox for 15 years. Works like a charm and is flexible!

Rob

#14041 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I got a couple of those telescoping magnetic pick-up tools, but they don't work for the trough where it's curved and you need to get the magnet end to
I guess I need to find a flexible magnetic end tool

See previous reply. Tape a magnet to the end of a long zip tie.

Rob

1 week later
#14098 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Blown pistons question. Do the pops factor into it? Or do I just need to hit the right ramp and then the piston target to get a blown piston?

Pop hits are what light more piston inserts which in turn are supposed to be 1 blown piston for every insert lit. But, it's just 1 piston still regardless of the inserts lit.

Rob

2 weeks later
#14169 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

How long does the honeymoon last? I’ve only owned MET for about 8 months now, but I still love this game. I’m still altering strategies on it. Lately I’ve been on a kick of getting shots completed and collecting the hurryups from them so they remain lit ball to ball. When I do it, I seem to really start building up scores. I still get greedy trying to double CIU collects, and it keeps costing me.
The game just seems able to meet my mood. If I want to just bash, I can just play multiballs. If I want complexity with risk reward, CIU. It just seems to scratch so many different itches.

I've had mine over 5 years and I have zero intention of letting it go, it's just that good of a game!

Rob

3 weeks later
#14288 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

thank you. I'll give that a try this evening

Or the connector may be heat damaged and need replacing. There's been a few of us with this happening lately.

Rob

1 week later
#14328 5 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

Hope someone can shed some light on this problem. Since yesterday weird stuff has been happening on my met monsters. While in a multiball mode i could hear the coffin mb sounds where it spits out balls but there were no balls in there (well i thought that as i was playing sparky mb). When i lost all the balls and waited for the next ball nothing came out of the trough and i noticed a ball in the coffin lock area. Game went into ball search but it didn't pop this ball out. I had to switch off and on to get it to empty. I think the next game something else strange happened but i cant remember. Tonight after playing a decent game and sparkymultiball finished i had a few flips and then a two ball multiball started for no reason but soon after without even flipping a ball the flippers went dead and game over.
I did do a code update about a week ago just for the experience. V1.7 as before and no errors seemed to occur during the operation.
Any ideas?

Magnetized balls can get stuck in the coffin lock, especially if there's 2 balls in there stuck together. That was a real problem for me when I first got my game. I had to change to different balls to fix that.

Flippers going dead in the middle of a ball is most likely the ball trough opto board, or the connecter on it. It's a known issue.

I think this is the parts: https://www.pinballlife.com/opto-transmitter-and-receiver-board-set-for-data-eastsegastern.html

Rob

#14340 5 years ago
Quoted from ktm450:

Why would people want gravestones? It’s a Metallica pin.
The cross grave markers refer to the album artwork and the song “Disposable Hero’s” about the young soldiers sent off to die fighting someone else’s war.

I think it's because the cross is seen as a christian symbol and that isn't acceptable with some other countries. It's probably a setting so the game isn't banned in those other countries.

Rob

#14358 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

But the cross is still all over the playfield. Or is that changed, too?

That part I don't know.

Rob

#14388 5 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Game should have had a spinner from the factory on the pro.
No issue with anyone adding spinners to a pro but I do have an issue with it affecting gameplay as described above.

Spinners sure do make the orbit shots more fun, especially when you can rip a good super spinner shot on the Pre/LE models.

Rob

#14411 5 years ago

Just in case nobody ever saw it, here's a picture of Dirty Donny's own(?) custom Metallica pinball.

Found on dirtydonny.com

Rob
11745701_1050503204962425_5215570463202463360_n (resized).jpg11745701_1050503204962425_5215570463202463360_n (resized).jpg

1 week later
#14449 5 years ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Hey Pinheads!!! I am finally proud owner NIB MET PRE from the last production!
Thanks to Steve from Pinball Refinery for doing the cosmetic custom work to make it my centerpiece pinball.
Mr_Tantrum, Thanks for the instruction cards. Its the great custom addition to the work Steve did for me.
I notice my Sparky does not "bobble" aggressively as I have seen other machines. Are there common issues that are associated with this?
The head moves about 1/2 inch both directions.... I was at Banning, CA and there MET LE Sparky had some serious head banging!
I'll be asking more questions as time goes on.
FYI , my lighting sucks in my guest room to take photos.
[quoted image]

Seems like a lot of the GI (general illumination) is out on your game, or it's just when the picture was taken?

Rob

#14462 5 years ago
Quoted from bdaley6509:

Bought a NIb premium. The gi flickers whenever a coil fires. Any ideas?

I would suspect the power connector on the GI board (under playfield, middle). There's many threads on pinside about this one connector failing.

Rob

#14520 5 years ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

I already own a MET Pro Led with Total Light Show that I am thinking about adding a few mods to including a color dmd. I know have an opportunity to trade another machine toward a MET Premium already upgraded to a color dmd and a few other mods. I am not unhappy with my MET Pro. Is it Worth the upgrade or should I stick with it he Pro.

It's worth the upgrades.

Rob

#14522 5 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Would recommend spending some time on the premium before making your decision. I find the pro plays faster and is more enjoyable.

Maybe it plays 'faster' because there's less toys for the ball to interact with? And I just don't know how missing features/lighting/toys equates to being more enjoyable? But, to each their own

Rob

#14562 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

I noticed my right ramp flasher wasn't working tonight. Took a look under the playfield and something bizarre seems to be going on.
Tested the flasher in the settings... nothing.
Unscrewed the flasher from the bottom of the playfield... moved the LEDs around on the flasher bulb (turned the top panel) and it came on and stayed on.
In fact, it stays on for about 10 seconds after I turn the power to the machine off. Then it dims until the two center LEDs are partially still lit.
Anyone run across something like this before?

Try a different flasher bulb. You may have internally shorted the current one.

Rob

#14574 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Can't agree with you here. I personally preffered the pro so that is what I bought. I still wanted lots of bells and whistles, so I to own a pro with lots of mods put into it. I don't expect to get the value of the mods back but for a game I intend to have in my home for a long time, spending the money to make it pretty makes sense. Most of my mods would have been done if I'd bought higher end models anyway. Color dmd, art blades, 3d snake, sparky wiring, protectors. I think the only thing I'd have save on are the lights and shaker. I just prefer the feel of the pro and I'm not a fan of the hammer. The colour dmd was still the prices part of the whole thing.

Pinball doesn't feel right to me if it doesn't have a shaker in it....

Rob

#14588 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

THIS!
This is what I'm not gettin!
Thanks Chuck for the reminder. I need to switch my focal point to THIS.
Grazie!

If you can finish all the Sparky jackpots (10 I think), the Sparky super jackpots are about 2 million I think. I have maybe done about 7 Sparky's.

I'm not sure I have ever scored over 250 million on Metallica. But maybe that will change now. I also need to do better at the CIU.

Rob

1 week later
#14708 5 years ago

I had had my best game on Metallica!

I had Seek and Destroy, Fuel, Lady Justice, Coffin Multiball and Tomb Multiball all stacked at one point. I set a new Lady Justice high score of over 41 million and over 50 million on S&D. End score was 474 million with 3 CIU completed and also hit Blackened mode. I missed a nice 50+ million payout on my first CIU, but that's just how it goes sometimes. Probably half of my points were from the mode stacking... I've never stacked so many things together in my Metallica (Premium) before.

Rob

#14714 5 years ago
Quoted from HankScorpio:

Hi Everyone,
My MET Insert Mod is back in stock. You can see it here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1082-pin-mods/00828-stern-metallica-pro-led-insert-mod-
Thanks!
[quoted image]

I have the cross as blue on my premium because it syncs with the blue RGB. I also changed the cross flashers (not the cross itself) to blue. I made the chair purple as well as the 2 flashers under the chair.

Rob

#14720 5 years ago
Quoted from drained:

Been rocking a NIB MET Prem for almost 2 weeks now.. love it. 2 Questions
1. I have a hum/buzz sound when hammer lock is active.. Is this normal? Still can't tell if its intended or not/coming from speakers or the mag board.
2. Snake Jaw.. mine seems a little high and I get a lot of bounce outs.. and captured spit outs tend to hit the FUEL target or left drain lane areas.. I see two schools of thought for the jaw height.. the Washer Method and a #8 screw adjustment...
Looking for some further input..

1: Normal

2: I used washers. I know some swear by adjusting the screw, but that doesn't appear like it was ever designed as a jaw height adjustment, but rather adjusting the catch mechanism. I glued the washers in place on the mechanisms which made reassembly much easier.

Rob

#14729 5 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

With this you can use whatever LED color you want:
https://goo.gl/FbZsZJ
Auction is for US sales. Contact me with your address for international.

I have a Premium and I just replaced the LED board with ones from cointaker. The cointaker ones are brighter than stock so they light up the inserts better too.

Rob

#14740 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Pinnovators board for subwoofer, color dmd, making the frog a proper snake.

The tongue decal is a nice touch on the snake too.

Airball protector for above Sparky's feet is a must.

Rob

#14741 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

I did the same with the flashers. I also changed the electric chair insert flasher in front of Sparky to purple. I plan on changing the Snake flasher to green this week.

I did that as well. I'm not one for color bombing my games, but sometimes plain white flashers are boring.

Rob

#14798 5 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

Ok, this is really strange. After your comment I looked at my BOOT chip and it looks like a leg is bent. I’m the first owner and have NEVER touched any of the circuitry in this game. Can anyone tell me if this bottom leg is bent or am I just going crazy?[quoted image][quoted image]

2 are bent

#14811 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Updated and briefly fiddled with some of the new features. I like some of the new ease of play and while the 1 hit cross makes more sense to guest, I can see this one being an easy multiball now. I cant play mine until my wire form is painted and by then I think my new rings will be here and I'll have to do that as well. I so excited they put this update out but of course it's the week where my game is out of commission.

There's probably a difficulty setting for this too, but I have not looked.

Rob

#14831 5 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I heard a cool new guitar riff when finishing Fade to Black! You rock Lyman!

In the settings you can select the end effect for completing any CIU.

Rob

#14865 5 years ago
Quoted from splitcms:

Anyone have the issue where the snake (once in awhile) doesn’t register the ball? Does anyone know the fix. Relatively new purchase

I had this issue a while ago and the switch arm needed adjustment.

edit: I actually replaced the switch because it was bad.

Rob

#14867 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I uploaded new code yesterday and got some phantom hammer hits. Not sure if related.

I don't think anything has changed in regards to the ball sense. I haven't had any phantom hits on my game.

Rob

#14872 5 years ago
Quoted from splitcms:

My game is a little weird. Once in awhile it won’t eject the ball but other times I’ll hit the snake and it won’t light and snake icons on the play field or when they are lit, I’ll hit that illuminated shot and then hit the snake again and it won’t register a letter (SNAKE). Sometimes it does but sometimes it doesn’t. Do you happen to know what might fix this?

This is a problem with the switch in the snake mouth. The switch may be triggering, but isn't staying closed so the game will still eject the ball without awarding a snake letter. I replaced the switch on my snake assembly (premium) a few months ago because of this.

Rob

#14880 5 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

** How to Improve Inlane Ball Flow? **
My new'ish MET Pro needs some inlane flow.
The ball hits the brakes when it rolls from the stainless inlane ball guide to the flipper. No chance for a roll pass unless the ball is rifled perfectly into the inlane inlet somehow and carries *lots* of speed.
I'm using a pair of Superbands, although I've also tried Perfect Plays and they behave no differently in this regard. Flipper shaft is sitting dead center in the ball guide pocket. Plane of the guide is c. 2mm higher than the plane of the flipper rubber.
Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Thanks.
[quoted image]

Maybe it's because of the different flipper bats you have on the game. They could be thinner than the original. What if you put the original back on?

Rob

1 month later
#15511 5 years ago

I never noticed before, but if you keep making shots during Lady Justice, the timer basically freezes while doing so.

Rob

1 week later
#15620 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I think I'm going to have the very last playfield off the line.
My pro playfield has 2 ghosted inserts (less than one year old HUO) I contacted Stern and they are sending me a new replacement playfield. I asked my distributor for a status update today and was told that the delay is due to Stern having no Metallica playfields left and I'll have to wait for them to make me one.
That being said. I dont think it should be too hard to find a distributor with some NIB stock still. They JUST stopped running them after all. I mean, my distributor has stock NIB Batman 66, Ghostbuster, WWF, Spiderman vault, Game of Thrones, even non vault edition Star Trek still. Just call around

A few years ago I sent my Premium playfield back when Stern had no populated Premium playfields. They stripped the parts off my old playfield and rebuilt it on a new blank. The problem with my premium playfield was that it was warped (twisted). I contacted John Borg and he signed my playfield under the apron before it was shipped back to me.

Rob

1 week later
#15690 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Not at all.
That was sarcasm. As usual, pro is faster.

'Pro is faster' is one of the greatest cliches on Pinside. It's marginally faster if you mean there's less toys for the ball to interact with.

Rob

2 weeks later
#15849 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Eddie:

Yeah, out of the several speaker upgrade threads I’ve read through there were several people that said just adding an external Polk sub isn’t enough or that Metallica doesn’t have enough bass to work well with just adding a Polk, hence the reason I just can’t decide.

Adding an external polk psw10 sub is more than enough. It's what I did and it makes an amazing difference. Set both dials on the back to somewhere around 1 or 2 o'clock.

Rob

1 week later
#15934 5 years ago

One of the great things about Metallica is that the rules are balanced really well and approachable from different playing strategies. There isn't one single strategy that just obliterates everything else in terms of scoring and game progression. Although the CIU mode Battery doesn't seem to have much favor for some reason.

Rob

1 month later
#16172 4 years ago
Quoted from charles4400:

So I just had a chance to setup the new pin but ran across a strange problem. I have read where the snake jaw is too high but I think mine is mounted too low!
This is the position at game start. I can still make balls into the mouth in this position and the jaw never blocks balls. It acts strange when balls go in I assume because it is not expecting a ball in the scoop yet.
If you lower the jaw with washers then how do you raise it higher?
[quoted image]

The position at game start on my game is mouth open. The jaw never locks balls unless a multiball is going and you hit all 4 pick targets. That opens the snake mouth for add-a-ball and 20 second double scoring while the ball stays in the mouth. After the 20 seconds, the ball is spit back out.

There is a snake mouth diagnostic in the menu for testing switches and mouth position. Here are pictures of mine open and closed. I added washers to shim the snake mechanism lower. Somewhere between 1/16 and 1/8.

Rob

20190424_000134 (resized).jpg20190424_000134 (resized).jpg20190424_000152 (resized).jpg20190424_000152 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#16211 4 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

has anyone disabled the outer orbit post? thinking of trying it

Nope, never. You will diminish the blown piston awards then. If you have a premium, when the spinner is lit for 'super spinner' you do get a full orbit shot with nice lighting effects.

Rob

#16235 4 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

I was gonna asked same question as I gotta move soon, and break down pin to move, and wondering when I set it up on pitch angle. Wonder if Borg has a preferred preference for his game since he designed it. I know Ritchie mentions pitch angle for some of his pins he designs. I do know that higher the pitch less airballs off sparky, but have one of Rick's extended protectors and its save the area of dimples big time.

I would say 6.5 to no more than 6.7. The problem with every Stern game is that they never added proper flipper power adjustments. Increased pitch is kind of a lousy way to counter strong flippers. My GoT pro had stupidly strong flippers where I had to set the pitch to at least 7.2 or it played like crap.

Rob

1 month later
#16406 4 years ago
Quoted from mjs2:

Appreciate the info. Pro was fun, other than hammer lock and raising graveyard cross- pro seems like the way to go. The Premium light show can be achieved from the interactive lighting mod, yes?

No, not completely. The mod cannot replace the RGB insert lighting. Also, don't forget about the (super) spinners and enhanced snake with mechanical opening/closing jaw.

Rob

1 week later
#16477 4 years ago
Quoted from Troutfarm:

I cant be the only one this is happening too.. but it almost seems like my coffin has been magnetized. Balls being released from the coffin were getting stuck. I changed the balls and its a bit better but they are still struggling to release. Anyone have a fix for this? Thanks!

This has always been an issue on my game. Yesterday it was bad and balls would not release from the casket lock. I'm not sure what the answer is except for replacing the balls.

Rob

2 months later
#16703 4 years ago

Or maybe Danny Devito signed it?

Rob

#16732 4 years ago
Quoted from JHPSWE:

Hi!
Lucky owner of a premium 2015-16
I have problems with GI? (Slings, backboard, apron) some games it’s flashing like crazy. Strobe light.
Does anyone know what to do?

Quoted from yzfguy:

Yep. Follow the cable under the playfield(up near the back) that looks like a phone line. Reset the connector. Bam! Strobing gone.

More likely this: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-lights-strobing-continuously

The power connector to the light controller board needs replacing.

Rob

#16734 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Not sure how likely either is. I've seen two games strobe and a wiggle of the wire solved the problem.

The power connector is a known failure point. If it's discolored even a little bit, it should be replaced. It happened on my game too.

Rob

#16737 4 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Yup, common fault on Metallica.

I hope this is the right size. Trifuron pins should be used when the connector is replaced. It's what I used.

https://www.pinballlife.com/156-trifurcon-crimp-terminals.html
https://www.pinballlife.com/156-396mm-crimp-stuff-3-position-housing-with-locking-ramp-17575.html

Rob

#16741 4 years ago
Quoted from JHPSWE:

Did you remove the connectors and solder the cable to the pins?
I tried to reset my game with power connector and network but still strobe.
If I remove Red GI it stops and starts with reconnect

Is the power connector discolored at all? It could be you are just reducing load on a bad connection.

Rob

#16742 4 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

I viewed the video and just checked my game as has strobing and noticed while removing power cable that the header pins were loose. I resoldered and all good. But I'm unsure if that solved the issue or merely reseating the connections did.

If the power connector is discolored at all, replace it. The loose header pins can be a sign it got hot enough to melt the solder off the pads.

Rob

3 months later
#17128 4 years ago

Metallica is about as perfect as you can get for a great pinball game! Both the rules and layout are top notch! And the shots are intuitive, unlike JP where I find the right ramp and orbit are really difficult shots.

Rob

3 weeks later
#17262 4 years ago
Quoted from Ripshill:

Anyone have an EOS Left flipper issue on this game, and how did they go about fixing it short of a flipper rebuild kit?

What kind of issue?

Rob

#17264 4 years ago
Quoted from Ripshill:

Hi Rob,
It appears as if the left flipper is a touch slow as a result of it. Honestly, I was just going to wait till the rebuild kit arrived to fix the issue, but was hoping for an interim solution.

I'm not sure the EOS is your problem by that description. If you want, I can stop by and take a look.

Rob

#17268 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I reflowed the power connector on the board underneath the machine to solve my disappearing GI light issue but it seems to have returned after about 3 weeks. has anyone experienced this and what was their fix?

I replaced the power connector for this board on my game. Premium right?

Rob

#17285 4 years ago
Quoted from LargemouthAss:

Any idea why the snake and electric chair lights would be out on every shot except the left loop? It is a Premium. All fuses look good and I did not have any loose connections on the boards. Here is a video:

All of those inserts that are not working are controlled by the RGB LED driver board under the playfield. Failure of the power connector is a common problem.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-lights-issue

Rob

9 months later
#17934 3 years ago
Quoted from freshjive:

I am now having troubles with the grave markers not dropping on direct hits. I did some reading and the previous owner already did the spring mod. Does anyone else have some suggestions to fix the direct hits no dropping targets?

The only thing you can do is shorten the springs a bit.

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Exactly. The ball is moving too fast. Just play your game and let it get a little dirty and those drops should start working perfectly.

Correct! Slightly increasing the pitch can also help. I just reset my Metallica to 6.7/6.8 because it felt way too floaty at 6.5.

Rob

3 months later
#18298 3 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

GI strobing has annoyed me for over a year and have tried all the possible solutions which fixed the problem for short periods of time, usually a day at the most.
I replaced the bridge rectifier with a higher rated one and fixed the issue again for maybe a few days.
I couldn't resolve the strobing at all one day except I noticed I could push the spade connectors a little further in and the problem resolved itself but for only a short time.
Well I decided to solder the wires onto the bridge rectifier and problem fixed. I now even have my Gi set to 80% and no strobing. In fact strobing will reoccur when I set intensity to more than 85%. I have had the game on for long periods of time and dozens of games and no issue .
So this could be of help to someone still struggling.

Did you replace the power connector on the GI control board under the playfield?

Rob

#18309 3 years ago
Quoted from TronGuy:

The balls are “stuck” in the coffin. They are trying to come out, but only 1 came out on a multiball. Then I later locked a 3rd ball in there and all 3 are stuck. Something is trying to activate to push them out, but nit succeeding.

If the balls are magnetized, they can get stuck in the coffin. I've had that happen before and had to change the balls to fix it.

Rob

4 months later
#19029 2 years ago

I have noticed lately in the past few years that Metallica doesn't seem to come up for sale very often any more. I've owned mine since 2013 and I think it's one of the best games I ever bought.

The only thing I wish I could fix was the hammer 'bounce' on my premium. When a coffin lock happens, the hammer bounces back up about half way and then back down again. Years ago I tried a lighter spring on the coil, but that didn't help. I think I'm going to take another stab at fixing that this weekend! If someone has an idea of how to remedy this, let me know.

Rob

1 week later
#19118 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I love it! Especially when someone isn't expecting it.

When my friend bought his first pinball game (STTNG), he set the match percentage to 50%. His wife asked if the game had to make so much noise and he said 'yep!'..

Rob

1 month later
#19211 2 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

I think I'm going to do just that. I have a roll of the real thin stuff that comes with the mirror blades.

Carpet tape.

Rob

3 months later
#19540 2 years ago

I like the dots xl setting on my LCD colordmd.

Rob

4 months later
#20022 1 year ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:Get magnet protectors (mylar will do, otherwise the carbon fiber version from Cliffy are great too and what I personally use) and make sure the magnet cores are not mushroomed and are level. Also get an extended plastic protector in front of Sparky to prevent air balls.

If there's no sparky protector, chances are there will be a shit tonne of dimples below sparky.

Also make sure the playfield isn't chipping or caving in around the sparky magnet core.

Rob

#20026 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

Does anyone know where to get a sparky protector these days? Only place I seem to see one in stock is in the UK.

Take the sparky plastic off and go to a glass place. They can probably cut you a new one from scrap acrylic for far cheaper ($20) than you can buy online. Just tell them to make the front edge a bit further out than the stock piece. I've had lots of plastics made this way and using the original as a template.

Rob

#20031 1 year ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Some pf's had issue of inserts ghosting. I have a pro and a few inserts have that issue. Not the worst thing but might affect price. However, in this market it might make little difference.

Some playfields had an artwork chipping issue which is maybe related? Most notably around the sparky magnet core.

The playfield on my game was warped which I didn't realize until 10 months after I bought it. Luckily, Stern did replace it.

Rob

#20034 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

I got my premium last night, it's amazingly fun. I have an Iron Maiden which I thought was the best pin but I think Metallica takes the cake. The light show, the mechanisms, the call outs and of course the music. Everything about it is awesome.

IMDN is an ok game, but Metallica is just so much better. Truly one of Lyman's best ever games.

Rob

#20038 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

Wow, I didn’t know you could do this on a pro!
Where do I buy that mod and what all do I need?
TIA for any info.

It might be more cost effective to just get a premium.

Rob

#20047 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

Can anyone tell me if the gravestone is supposed to light up for the premium/LE? Or is that only pro?

I was doing a lamp check and noticed that in the flasher menu #19 "grave marker flasher" did nothing when I turned it on.

The bulb probably came loose. It happens on my premium.

Rob

1 week later
#20081 1 year ago
Quoted from prentice:

I’ve been trying to troubleshoot the flickering GI on a Premium, and noticed that the connectors collected by this Z-connector in the center bottom are extremely hot, even shortly after turning machine on. Fiddling with the cables it runs to (on left in backboard, nearly behind the speaker) seemed to at least Temporarily fix the flickering but the super hot connector is worrisome. Is this normal? How might I fix if not? Thanks!!
[quoted image]

At minimum replace the connector. Also replace the power connector on the RGB lighting board. This is a common point of failure.

New connectors should have trifurcon pins for added reliability.

I'm not sure this is the right size pin?
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CT156T

Rob

2 months later
#20241 1 year ago
Quoted from Medic:Does anyone have a premium with fluorescent green or orange plastic protectors? Since the premium/LE have colored leds I heard it doesn’t look as good but wanted to see if others like theirs.

I don't use plastic protectors because I don't like the look. Also, plastics don't break that easy on modern Stern games.

Rob

#20271 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I have two connections, one one wither side of thr trough that need fully seated from time to time.

A lot of the time, it's the wiring on upper ball trough opto connector that is loose. It's an IDC crimp and there's a lot of vibration in that area.

Part 12

Rob
a3407856af806b2361baed30a756a48ced62b9b6 (resized).jpga3407856af806b2361baed30a756a48ced62b9b6 (resized).jpg

#20277 1 year ago

Is 30 million a good Lady Justice score? I just got that today.

1 year later
#21112 6 months ago

Metallica is one game where I am considering some kind of cooling for the flippers. The flippers on my game get quite hot and flipper fade really becomes noticeable after a few games, or a really long game.

Anyone else have their Met flippers get hot?

Rob

1 week later
#21133 6 months ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

I realize no one thinks Stern would ever update the display of a SAM game if it were rerun, so maybe they will just run MET in exactly the same configuration as before.

I think it's going to happen at some time.

Rob

1 week later
#21180 5 months ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Wow.. they increased the price by $100 in the past week. Dang.

The only consistent problem is the foot breaks off. Hopefully, that does not happen with these prices for a replacement.

Maybe we need a mod so the ball never hits the feet and/or there's some kind of cushion there.

Rob

#21184 5 months ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Oh no... the bash toy is getting bashed! Maybe we should print him a skirt too....

Yeah when those feet break off you will sing a different tune trying to buy a replacement, if you can even find one.

Rob

1 month later
#21305 4 months ago
Quoted from mbl1116:

I’m 3 weeks behind on this thread but I can tell you I have a very similar Met Pro with same topper, a few mods and ColorDMD and it’s been sitting at $8k. The market is absolutely dead right now
Only reason my games are listed is bc my collection will never grow beyond 3 games and I really have enjoyed swapping out frequently when they were still holding value. The way things are going, the secondary market may have turned my Metallica into a keeper and I’m probably better off for it

I think my Metallica Premium is a keeper for sure! I just need to add some flipper cooling for my game as the coils are getting too hot.

Rob

#21330 4 months ago
Quoted from Anony:

Does anyone know what might cause the GI to flicker along with the playfield lights? This happens once in a while with my game where any time the playfield lights flash the GI flashes too, even just sitting in attract mode like there is some crosstalk between the wires or something.

This is a well documented issue. You can search for keywords like Metallica and GI Flicker. The first thing to check is the 5v connector on the rgb gi board (under he playfield).

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-winter-is-coming-flickering-gi-mode

The connector on my game was discoloring due to heat from poor connection so I replaced it. You can try reseating the connector first to see if that helps.

Sorry for the crap picture, it was all I could find.

Rob
large (resized).jpglarge (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
Decals
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy
Hardware
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 25.50
6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Conifer, CO
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Machine - For Sale
San Antonio, TX
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rob_g.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread?tu=rob_g and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.