met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg
IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7243 Magnet removal Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (7 years ago)

Post #8935 Buzzing flippers fix Posted by j_m_ (7 years ago)

Post #19696 Fixing random drop targets dropping Posted by swampfire (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider moonduckie78.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12134 6 years ago

Are there any instructions for replacing the block with the PBL captive ball in a Met Premium? Did a search through this thread but didn't see any instructions. Thanks in advance!

#12144 6 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

A dab of hot glue at the base of the bulb where it meets the socket will hold it in place too.

Put my first plays on a NIB Premium last night, and one of those bulbs came out after about 15 games. I remembered this post as it was rolling toward the trough! Caught it in time.

To fix, I put a small RING of hot glue around the base, instead of a dab. Too much, you think?

#12156 6 years ago

Minor issue on my NIB Premium. Figured i'd post it here before calling Stern. Did a forum search and didn't find much. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

During certain times in a game, I start hearing a humming or buzzing noise, which sounds like it's 'underneath' the music and speech. It's not crazy loud, compared to the other sounds, but you can definitely hear it when it's there. It scales up & down when you adjust the volume of the game. Possibly starts happening when Lock is lit. I went into the tests to try and determine what is triggering it, and found that it's being caused by the Coffin Magnet. When the magnet is trying to detect a ball, you hear this humming noise 'underneath' all the other audio. Like I said, it's not ridiculously loud, but you do notice it right away, and it just doesn't seem normal to me.

I hear this noise coming from the speakers during the "1.Detect/Grab" test, and the "3.Detect" test.

During the "2.Detect/Hold" test, you don't hear noise from the speakers, but the machine actually starts to vibrate ever-so-slightly, and it makes a different noise, which is more mechanical sounding, and seems to come from the mechanism itself...not from the speakers. I assume THIS is normal? If so, only wondering about the noise coming from the speakers during the other Coffin Magnet tests, as described above.

Anyone else experience this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

#12160 6 years ago

Can anyone give me some quick tips / instructions for installing the Sparky airball protector from Pinbits?
Thanks!!!

#12162 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Should be as simple as unscrewing a couple screws, removing the original protector, installing the new one, and screwing it back down.

Thank you. Not at my game right now, but if it’s really that simple, that’s great.

#12217 6 years ago

Am I crazy, or is the Metallica service manual on Stern's website an absolute f'ing out-of-order mess?!?!?

2 weeks later
#12244 6 years ago
Quoted from JB-7X:

Has anyone here with a Premium ever tried switching all the red & blue GI lights to two different colors? Kinda curious what some other color combos might look like.

Didn't change colors, but I switched all those red/white/blue GIs to frosted bulbs, which are a little easier on my eyes.

1 week later
#12324 6 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

The rising cross is meh (probably because I rarely activate it due to sucking...)

BACKHAND that SOB!

#12356 6 years ago

I am going to be selling a set of Creeping Death Lighting Effect strips from MI Pinball Refinery. They look amazing when used with Creeping Death Pinblades (not included). I'm only selling them because I ordered Pinstadium lights, which will also feature the UV Glow flashing effect.

I bought them from Steve @ MI Pinball Refinery in December 2017, so they are almost brand new! They cost me $70+shipping when I bought them.
https://mipinballrefinery.com/store-to-order-upgrades#!/Creeping-Death-Lighting-effects-for-the-Cabinet-Artwork/p/30141856/category=5707242

These Creeping Death strips have the extra set of lightning bolt decals applied to the top side. They also have alligator clips on the wiring harness, so installation requires no soldering. The kit will come with the metal hex mounting standoffs and hardware to complete the installation.

I am asking $60 for the set ($65 if Paypal G&S payment) with USPS Priority Mail shipping included, saving you at least $20 if you were to buy them new. My only caveat is that I don't want to remove them from my game until my Pinstadium order has shipped, which HOPEFULLY won't be much longer than another week or two. You don't have to send payment until I'm ready to ship, though.

PM me if interested. Thanks!

p.s. Pics are taken from the MI Refinery site.

met1 (resized).jpgmet1 (resized).jpg

met2 (resized).jpgmet2 (resized).jpg

met3 (resized).jpgmet3 (resized).jpg

met4 (resized).jpgmet4 (resized).jpg

#12377 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Color DMD ordered for it this morning has already shipped.

Both times I ordered a ColorDMD in 2017, they were at my door 2 days later!

#12436 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Does anyone know where to get an apron decal without the seizure warning on it?

Gotta buy the whole set. But it's good to have. And you have some options.

ebay.com link: NOS Stern Metallica Pinball Machine Playfield Decal Set 802 5000 E1 Free Ship

1 month later
#12814 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Call Chaz at Stern and i bet he can help you. I don't know the number right off hand but maybe someone can post it.

Isn't it still 1-800-KICKERS ?

#12855 6 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I wonder if the print shops would balk at that idea due to copyright.

Only the more scrupulous ones. Plenty of THE OTHER KIND down here in Miami! They do car wraps, too!

2 weeks later
#12963 6 years ago

Mine has purple super bands right now, but I've also used orange and black. All look great!

1 week later
#13048 6 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

Do the snake fangs break easily? Otherwise I might consider passing on them.
Thanks!

I was worried about this too, from some postings in here, but I have had my snake fangs installed for about 6 months and haven't had any issues with them.
Got mine at Mezelmods.com and I definitely needed the offset screwdriver they recommend for installation.

#13049 6 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

Now I’m desperately searching for the snake mod but specially the “3D version”. Any ideas where I might find it?

https://www.pingraffix.com/product-page/metallica-3d-snake-mod-for-stern-pinball

Grab it quick, while it's back in stock.

#13109 6 years ago

I've got that exact same issue with the left spot.

#13132 6 years ago

I have Pinstadiums on my MET. Guess I really don't need those spots. Might pull 'em out. Never thought about that!

#13134 6 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

What do you think about Pinstadium? I'm still on the fence deciding between creeping death lighting from Pinball Refineries or Pinstadium UV+GLOW flasher integration. I guess they do the same thing right? And Pinstadium lights up your playfield more evenly. Pinstadium can also be dimmed down to lower intensities right?

Love the Pinstadiums. At this time, color and brightness level can be controlled in the app. Only thing that isn't customizable right now is the UV glow effect. It's either on or off. But honestly, I wouldn't change anything about it, even if I could. It's pretty perfect.

I used to have the Creeping Death lights, and they worked GREAT, but I never cared much for how those long plastic strips looked, installed in my game. I much prefer how 'invisible' the Pinstadiums are when installed. I highly recommend them.

One thing that's slightly different......the Creeping Death lights were angled directly at the Creeping Death art blades, and made them 'glow' really brightly. But that's ALL they did. Since the Pinstadium UV Glow effect is angled more toward the playfield, they make THE WHOLE GAME glow! It's a GREAT effect. My art blades don't glow quite as intensely because of this, but it's a fair trade IMO!

#13157 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I just hit flashing lights and rack up points.

Shoot the flashing grave markers.

1 week later
#13213 5 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Man MET call outs are awesome!

Yes, EXCEPT for the Lars callouts.

#13226 5 years ago

Is there a way to stop Lars from coming over to my house and claiming I owe him quarters from the coin box??

2 weeks later
#13342 5 years ago

Question for the experts.

What is happening to my MET cabinet? And WHY? Game was NIB less than 6 months ago! Set up in my home and has never been moved. Just noticed this recently. Seems like the wood is splitting/separating at this front left edge! Never seen this happen before. Is my concern warranted? Is this something that is going to get worse over time? Do I need to be extremely careful when I move the game, eventually? Can the distributor I purchased from, and/or Stern, actually DO anything to help?

Any advice is much appreciated. Haven't had ANY issues with the game otherwise. Has around 1000 plays.

Sorry for the crappy pics.

IMG_5897 (resized).jpgIMG_5897 (resized).jpg
IMG_5896 (resized).jpgIMG_5896 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#13739 5 years ago

JDub03 I have that same Mondo Tommy print.

6 months later
#15606 5 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

So i got a Metallica premium and its become about a nightmare to lock a ball in the coffin lock. The magent just does not seem to be grabbing the ball and i dont remember it being this bad. I called stern and they advised me to replace the board under the play field. I did and yeah still a no go. I read out the coil and it reads 5ohms and checked connections obviously. I see a setting on the menu in msec but it doesnt seem to help. Anyone got advice. I roll the ball over the magnet and it seems to grab it fine. The magnet works its like its not sensing the ball
Even with a new board

When I first got my MET, based on stuff i read in this post, I switched out the block for a standard newton ball, and that DEFINITELY has made the coffin lock magnet much harder to hit.

1 month later
#15972 5 years ago
Quoted from lazyfatdog:

So I'm waiting on delivery of my NIB Met Pro (unbelievably excited) and have been working my way through this thread. Mostly what I'm trying to figure out is, are there any mods that are strongly recommended for purchase/installation prior to setting up the pin?

I would def recommend the Sparky plastic. I got crazy airballs before I put that in.
Also, some Cliffys, especially for the scoop hole, the rings for around the magnets (to prevent mushrooming), and maybe the switch slot inlanes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider moonduckie78.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread?tu=moonduckie78 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.