Topic Stats

• 16,917 posts
  • 951 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by DaveH
  • Topic is favorited by 362 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,874 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

944ED964-8F82-404F-A095-CAB0DCD9383D (resized).jpeg
7FA19559-CBD0-4C75-857C-09E37563B632 (resized).jpeg
20191127_173238 (resized).jpg
IMG_4838 (resized).JPG
20191102_232801 (resized).jpg
B37D4A93-7389-4E67-89C1-E0CA273E05D7 (resized).jpeg
867D6ECA-1374-4625-8C81-8D285482D93F (resized).jpeg
9AD0BED3-F233-40F4-946D-148F96BA06F9 (resized).jpeg
2E26B847-FAFD-43C3-AB6B-9C6A6468FDC3 (resized).jpeg
21D28BDA-F70F-4819-A77F-6F29E95BA5C6 (resized).jpeg
AE54BDEC-98AA-4CC8-9BBD-0FBE9ACB53EF (resized).jpeg
D3336573-8999-4174-8052-AB5D1A1957CE (resized).jpeg
B1ABE7EA-4853-421E-93B6-2856C9C18205 (resized).jpeg
6964778C-0F81-42C3-AC72-83AEC78B3618 (resized).jpeg
FB_IMG_1574345173537 (resized).jpg
20191121_190619 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider monkeyboypaul.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10870 2 years ago

Hoping to join soon - Met Pro LED purchase agreed in principle.

Anyone put an LED OCD board in MET Pro LED???

And is there an option for LED or Incandescent Light Effects, like in Iron Man VE? Guessing they just kept the incandescent Light Effects for the Pro LED model, but fudged it.

#10872 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

They added some resistor boards to the lamp matrix connectors for the Pro LED models, nothing more as far as I know. Looks great without any changes IMO.

Yes, those extra boards would be removed in favour of an LED OCD board. Like I did in IMVE.

It's looks great, agreed, but for me it's the small improvements that make a lot of difference.

#10948 2 years ago

Here is what I use. It works great, has a customizable setting to dim when a game has started, and is much more affordable if you just want white LEDs to replace the fluorescent tube:
http://www.arcadeupkeep.com/backbox-kits/4587457160

Same here. Bought 5 dimming modules and making my own boards & fittings. 1 installed in SM last night:

IMG_6649 (resized).JPG

IMG_6650 (resized).JPG

IMG_6656 (resized).JPG

#10949 2 years ago

As much as i want a Premium, they're over £8,000 now! That's new of course, but i've not seen any used machines for sale in ages - at least publicly, so have no yardstick to measure against.
The Prem/LE Hammer annoys me a bit as it blocks the playfield visibility a tad, but it's a very cool effect. A used Pro will have to suffice. I'm half tempted to do the same with TWD by downgrading an LE to a Pro, but that red light show on Horde is seriously cool. At least the well walker doesn't block anything behind it. All my personal opinion. Also watching the Total Lightshow development thread eagerly.

Also, is the code now considered to be fully baked? Not that i'm complaining.

3 weeks later
#11025 2 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

For the pickier pinsiders, I've designed a drop in mod that drastically reduces the light bleed around cross inserts. Check them out. Thanks
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1087-wcp/00873-cross-pattern-light-blocking-insert-metallica-pinball

Ship internationally!!!

IMG_6988 (resized).PNG

#11038 2 years ago
Quoted from JonCrox:

I'd split postage!! Also damageinc55 Mark as 20 dollars value or our tax man over here like to go in dry where he can!

Sorry dude, I think this was sent about 40seconds too late! We've already had the 'chat' via PM, which is the best place for it. I've done the explanation leg work if you wanted a set though.

Or stick 2 sets in my box, and we'll sort it locally (on the UK Forum).

1 week later
#11126 2 years ago

Four inserts all in a row... if only that logic applied to the bulb holders too, but no....

This calls for a quick-bodge!

IMG_9681 (resized).JPG

#11136 2 years ago

Have any MET Pro LED owners beefed up the 'M' ramp flashers at all? From the factory it's a Red 8ish-LED flasher firing up through a large round clear playfield insert into the red M-shaped gel on the ramps.

thinking about trying two of these: http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/12chipcob.htm

#11149 2 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Speaker wire connected to the internal sub with alligator clips. Makes for an easy disconnect if you decide to sell in the future.

Wired to the speaker-level input, or the low-level inputs? (i assume this sub has both, like my 2 Tannoys & 1 MissionM2s)

#11152 2 years ago

Speaker-level input since that is exactly what you are connecting it to.

Same here! But i have spoken to colleague in the UK who's using line-level, even though they know it's wrong, but with a successful outcome! "Better", in fact, purely because that's how it was when they bought it.

#11186 2 years ago

Was just stripping down my recently purchased met Pro led and found the snake head kicker switch does not have a diode across it. Seems like that's factory. Can anyone else confirm is the same (or not) on their game please?

IMG_7144 (resized).JPG

#11189 2 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Yes that's how it's supposed to be. Wait till the time comes when you need to change that switch out. Talk about a pain in the ass!!!

EVERY job in pinball takes longer than you thought!

So now it's all cleaned up and working, except sparky's shock solenoid seems to be very weak or not working. Will check fuses tomorrow.

And the snake seems to spit and spin the ball, it's not consistently hitting the left flipper, often goes off towards the left in/out lanes! could've done something while I was working down there, but equally interested if anyone else has seen this and if so how it got resolved. EDIT: since resolved.

#11193 2 years ago

Thank you. Before I read it later (it's kids bath time now), does this affect the prem, pro (mine) or both?

EDIT: lifted the playfield and found the snake kicker to be off-centre to the ring/hole. Loosened some of the bracket screws, adjusted the angle ever so slightly, and then retightened it in the new position. Seems to be spot on reliable now. It's not obvious that there's some adjustment on it, but it worked for me.

#11222 2 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

For the pickier pinsiders, I've designed a drop in mod that drastically reduces the light bleed around cross inserts. Check them out. Thanks
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1087-wcp/00873-cross-pattern-light-blocking-insert-metallica-pinball

bought, fitted to my Pro in minutes, awesome.

#11223 2 years ago

Duplicate

#11225 2 years ago

My Sparky solenoid isn't activating as often as it should when Sparky gets fried... the solenoid seems ok, moves freely enough, but seems to be missing a pulse here and there... click click [nothing] click [nothing] [nothing] > multiball

Anyone else experienced this? It's a Pro LED.

#11230 2 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Hows the gap between the coil and the metal piece it pulls to shake sparky

fair question, thanks - i've had a quick look & the little vertical tab that the moving plate rests on was pretty straight. I've since bent it forwards a little, to narrow the gap between the plate & solenoid, and it seems much better in test. Can't play on it right now as it's in our office (shared with the wife), but will have a go later. Cheers!

2 months later
#11614 2 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

his new version is incredibly well done. I've worked with damageinc55 to help him perfect his design for the premium/LE machines and he's nailed it

And the Pro version remains great! I really notice it on unmodified games now.

2 weeks later
#11676 2 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

Does anyone have an opinion on the Color dmd LED version vs. LCD version, specifically in Met? I want to pick one up at Chicago expo but I’m not sure which one will look better?

LCD on DotXL, in every game I own.

2 months later
#12148 2 years ago
Quoted from raz0red:

Hey all-
I recently picked up a NIB Metallica Pro and while the game is great, I am having an issue. About 10% of the time when the snake ejects the ball I get an air ball. These are bad enough that it will hit the glass. Are there any adjustments that can be made to resolve this? Through the setting I was able to reduce the power of that coil, but it doesn't seem to help.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

check for correct alignment of the popper/coil underneath - mine was a little off and caused the ball to come out spinning randomly.

I used this post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/181#post-3527474

1 month later
#12312 1 year ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

My 6 year old has been playing metallica non stop lately. He is getting pretty good it seems. Hes had 49 million as his high score and he keeps saying he wont stop until he gets his initials up (shouldnt be too hard since my high score is only around 100 mil). Its great to see a new generation playing and trying to learn to play! He can pass between flippers easily and hit most of his shots if he aims. Problem is he never stops singing metallica now! Anyways, he has been begging me for the premium instead of the pro, and wondered if its worth the price differance. The hammer seems cool, rising grave marker and snake jaws all seem cool, but is it worth trying to trade the pro towards a premium?

I'm happy with a Pro, but sounds like your son isn't.

On the one hand he sound be eternally thankful Dad's got a Metallica Pinball machine! On the other hand Dad's 'only' got a Pro Metallica Pinball machine...

If money's not a big issue, upgrade.

2 weeks later
#12449 1 year ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Agreed. The TLS is not only the best Metallica mod, but it's arguably the best mod period.

Got TLS at home waiting to be fitted. Looking forward to it. I like the more subtle lighting though, so I may opt for the Prem/LE GI emulation instead of the more elaborate light show.

3 weeks later
#12592 1 year ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Galaxy S6 phone. I'm kind of surprised myself it came out that good.

$400 is the main reason. I like them but I just don't see $400 in value for that mod in any of my games.

Best pinball mod out there.
Great system support too.
Metallica is also one of the better games to be colorised.

Seriously - look past the money - it’s a great addition to your already premium priced, brilliantly coded, limited edition pinball machine.

1 week later
#12673 1 year ago

I love the hammer, I hate the way it blocks my view and slows the game down a little.
Pro with Total Lightshow was enough, and cash to spare on another game.

2 months later
#13439 1 year ago

i think it was epotech who designed these for keeping LEDs in their holders:

IMG_0426 (resized).JPG

IMG_0425 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#13676 1 year ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Wow, I have had my decal on for about two years and it has no wear at all. Got mine from pingraffix, maybe there are knockoffs printed differently?

same!

#13679 1 year ago

Met is the best. I bought my dream game a while back (Tron) and thought it would be my #1 game forever. Well, I still love Tron and I think it is aesthetically my favorite, but Metallica's gameplay is just a little better IMO and can't be beat. Love both the games and I don't think I will ever sell either, but if I had to pick only ONE game to keep it would be Met.

Also same!

Through gritted teeth i will admit Met Pro beats Tron for me. Just.

#13728 1 year ago
Quoted from Damien:

I'd say 70% of the time, I want to flip the game on it's side and just smash it to bits like that printer scene in Office Space. But the rest of the time, where I'm in Horde and trying to get as close to LMS as I can, the game is pretty intense and awesome!

yeah, been there - done that

I had to sell my LE about a year ago, to save it from being "burnt in a fire". By me.

But i've just gone and bought a HUO Pro instead! (+RS with the change left over!) I needed Horde back, and hopefully we'll get some RED GI going with the Total LightShow too.

#13732 1 year ago
Quoted from Damien:

I personally prefer the Pro model on this game, just because of the sweetness of that left ramp.
Though I do like the spinners on the Prem/LE.

Also agree. Having owned both; I only miss the red GI of the LE, nothing else.

1 month later
#14049 1 year ago
Quoted from monte_:

I just bought a metallica premium nib. Is the vertical pixelation line on the screen on the left normal or is this abnormal? It is avertical line between cross and electric chair. Thanks for the input.
[quoted image]

Ask for a replacement DMD, put it in a box safe & then install a ColorDMD!

1 month later
#14274 1 year ago
Quoted from libtech:

Made this the other day for the coffin captive ball, looks pretty sweet I'd say on a pro! Just if anyone is looking for ideas
[quoted image]

Like it. Doesn’t look out of place next to the snake.

#14279 1 year ago
Quoted from 85vett:

What snake. I just see a turtle in that picture
Mod looks great. You really need some fangs next though!

Touché

1 week later
#14335 1 year ago
Quoted from embryon:

Grave stones is an option on Aussie games

which option, if you know it???

#14364 1 year ago
Quoted from j_m_:

yep, colordmd didn't color this option. I'll talk with randy and see if we can get the guy who did colored MET to go back and do these frames. it affects quite a few areas (collecting the mystery scoop [when scrolling through the available rewards], all graveyard animations and the end of ball bonus

Did you manage to ask the ColorDMD guys about this?

I’ll bet a fair chunk of us with MET also have a ColorDMD, and also want to try this option now, just because you pointed it out, and we can.

#14400 1 year ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I phoned him but he didn't pick up. I'll touch base with him @ expo. and if someone brings a MET with a colordmd I can show him exactly what is happening so that he can get with the original colordmd artist on this

FYI - a UK machine, with a standard Cross-shaped tombstone, defaults to Crosses.

Curiosity satisfied

IMG_1813 (resized).JPGIMG_1818 (resized).JPG
#14412 1 year ago
Quoted from j_m_:

the $100M question is do you have a physical cross or a rounded grave marker at the end of your 3-bank of drop targets in your game?

Standard cross-shaped cross. Official UK Pro 'LED' model with metal backbox.

I'm curious to see if *any* games shipped *anywhere* actually got a rounded grave marker - or maybe Stern hadn't got the grave style agreed when the dots were in production, so asked for 2 versions of the animations, just in case it had to be changed for licensing, religious or geographic reasons.

IMG_1823 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#14835 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

It's not at full awesome potential. Needs a colorDMD.

this^

#14841 1 year ago
Quoted from Mikedenton49:

Uploaded the new code and had the best game of my life. I thought surely there must be a glitch.
Cruised right through all the CIU's and smoked EOTL. Not sure what the big change is yet, but what used to be 100M point games are now 500.
[quoted image]

Fucking fuck!

#14861 1 year ago
Quoted from splitcms:

Anyone have the issue where the snake (once in awhile) doesn’t register the ball? Does anyone know the fix. Relatively new purchase

I got that this evening. Have to wait a few secs for the ball search... seems to be when the game is extra busy.

#14882 1 year ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Love how the new code makes it easier to reach CIU. Too bad I always drain just as the ball save expires.

Totally agree. Made it to my second last night, had a crazy game.

Also selling my well modded Pro and getting a low play Premium. The stars aligned for this one!

Took LED OCD out, forgot just how much that mod improves the lighting on MET Pro. Smooth as butter.

#14906 1 year ago
Quoted from acidburn:

Joined the club in the UK at the weekend and purchased a tastefully modded MET PRO LED
Anyone know if redshiftLED are still selling the rising grave marker mod?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Lovely. The previous owner obviously had a good eye for detail

#14909 1 year ago
Quoted from Koos:

And the previous owner went the extra mile to also apply the total lightshow mod to the flipper area!

Yup, I did. It’s not right without it.

#14911 1 year ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

With the new code, I have noticed that after a certain amount of points, it gives me a REPLAY (instead of an extra ball...same thing?) but when I drain it just goes to ball 2. What exactly do you get with REPLAY? With the previous code, it would give me an extra ball with the flames and speakers animation. Thanks and sorry for my ignorance

Replay awards an extra credit by default, as in ‘Play Again’. Changing the replay default back to Extra Ball will sort it. When you moved to 1.80 all of your changes will have been reset to defaults. I’d go through them all again quickly, just to be sure.

#14918 1 year ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

[quoted image]

Does anyone know if i can still get these cross 'insert liners' for a Premium?

I had them on my Pro, and would like to fit them on a Premium (i think it's a slightly different fit).

Messaged the seller damageinc55 but no reply in a few days and the shop link isn't working anymore...

They are/were brilliant - highly recommended.

#14919 1 year ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

I've tweaked my design for the mod on the cross insert for Premium/LE. Installation requires loosening of the subway, but I've tweaked it so you shouldn't have to remove it completely.
So for those that are bothered by the excess light surrounding the Crosses, here's your mod (https://goo.gl/3F7d31). Orders placed today should go out tomorrow, otherwise, the rest will go Monday.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Here's the post about the improved Premium-specific version:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/233#post-3975690

#14970 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Aurich made an initial run of 30 custom hammers that have leather, chrome spikes etc. Really cool, but very time consuming it appears.

Like this one?

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/33622

EDIT: answered above.

#14992 1 year ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

Should I put a shaker motor in my Met pro? Is it active much? I put one in my AS pro and it doesn't do much.

Yes. Do it.

#14997 1 year ago

Has anyone used a white TZ PowerBall as the coffin’s captive newton ball? I have an old one knocking about, just wondered if anyone did anything different in that respect!

#15006 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah I had an issue where it felt like maybe the Newton ball was magnetized, so I swapped it. I like it.
[quoted image]

Cool, thanks! I agree - it looks good, as does your hammer

Hadn't considered magnetism either, so it probably makes more sense to use ceramic.

#15007 1 year ago

Does anyone happen to know the RAL number for the more common purple power-coating used on MET games?

#15036 12 months ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Does anyone happen to know the RAL number for the more common purple power-coating used on MET games?

anyone?

#15097 12 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

12 to start and increases by one each time you play a CIU
Old code was 15 then increased by 2.

Assuming it can be changed back easily though, should that be required.

#15099 12 months ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

What do you mean Paul?

The game settings, what’s required to achieve CIU, can be changed from the 1.80 defaults.

#15141 11 months ago
Quoted from Koos:

monkeyboypaul he's back!

And he rocks!

2 weeks later
#15399 11 months ago
Quoted from Apinplayer:

Yeah not good it's an April 2015.

What was the ‘bad period’ again??

#15421 11 months ago

Has anyone else reduced the height of those 3 LED boards on the Premium/LE?

They just don’t give enough targeted light hanging off the underside of the PF like that, especially when combined with the cross insert mod.

B38380B5-A672-49D4-8129-DDBF27651A85 (resized).jpeg5BF8CAB9-BE70-470C-BD30-34A028F35630 (resized).jpeg
#15423 11 months ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

That's actually on my list of things to do to my MET Premium!

Well it’s definitely worthwhile.

Also moved the centre Sparky LED board & replaced the scoop LEDs with frosted lens versions, because I value my eyesight!

A5D55C30-982E-4819-9FEB-03F49B3254BC (resized).jpegC9572E4E-8CA4-4DDC-AFE9-7F1033455907 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#15502 10 months ago

There were a couple GI leds in direct line of sight that bothered me. I replaced them with Comet Twin 2835 SMD frosted and they look great. About the same brightness as on the stock led-Pro but much easier on the eyes with the frosted lens.

When i installed Total Lightshow on the Pro (since sold) i used Comet 2SMD frosted everywhere for GI. The frosted was much easier on the eyes.

I’d like to do this on the Premium too. Hate clear lens LEDs, but haven’t got around to buying the right volume of coloured bulbs just yet.

#15518 10 months ago

What size screws are used to hold the spinner brackets to the PF?

Base of the right spinner:

6B1B82FC-7A96-4F69-845E-CC866194C1CA (resized).jpeg80C4A299-22EC-4A84-963A-6BA5EE76CD9A (resized).jpeg

#15534 10 months ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Hi all,
Sorry if this has been mentioned numerous times.
Stern website still has Premium and Pro Metallica listed for Sale.
Are they still making this Pin?
Cheers

Phil’s out, but have you tried any EU distributors?

#15560 10 months ago
Quoted from darkryder:

I’ve got a Gio Pinball Refinery Star Trek LE and it’s truly one of a kind.

Wrong thread to ask, but pics please?!

#15581 10 months ago

Seriously though - why does the ball bounce out of those left inlanes straight into the left outlane so frequently!!?

My last Pro LED did it, but this (slightly newer) Premium is even worse!!!

As soon as the ball goes anywhere beyond the top of the left slingshot it's all hands on deck to stop the ball doing some weird levitation trick and jumping over to the left outlane...

IMG_3068 (resized).JPGIMG_3069 (resized).JPGIMG_3070 (resized).JPG
#15584 10 months ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Right. I've even heard a knick-name for it: "The Borgy Bounce".

Could i maybe add a cable tie (cut off the excess) onto the side of the middle separating wire, that way the ball would hit a plastic, not metal, deadening the bounce maybe?

It happens so often...

#15607 10 months ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

When I first got my MET, based on stuff i read in this post, I switched out the block for a standard newton ball, and that DEFINITELY has made the coffin lock magnet much harder to hit.

similar for me. I am half tempted to put the block back in and just wrap some mylar around it.

1 week later
#15658 10 months ago

ColorDMD updated for 1.80, just if anyone missed the email:

7915BEC0-B2DC-4E61-8FAD-32EA43AD15CD (resized).png
#15662 10 months ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I've never updated a ColorDMD - is it hard? Any "gotchas" to look out for?

I use an older/smaller USB drive formatted to FAT32.

It’s 128MB!

This update file was only 5-6MB I think.

#15671 10 months ago
Quoted from Draegermeister:

Speaking of updating. I set my ColorDMD on HiRes for Metallica. What are you guys running? I am tempted to try Scan for a while. Definitely not 8-bit with those animations.

DotsXL.

#15732 9 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Put it in the game!!

Do it!

3 weeks later
#15942 9 months ago

The more I play Metallica the more I enjoy it!

Traded a lovely Pro for a newer/nicer Premium. Both versions are excellent.

It’s simply a blast to play - great fun for beginners and experts alike.

The newer code simply added extra frosting to this delicious cake.

1 month later
#16092 8 months ago
Quoted from Archytas:

Not technically an owner but I am just throwing down the gauntlet to all you MET owners here. I am borrowing this LE from a friend. this was a 2 billion end of the line collection scoring 600 million collects while it ran a few times over. Absolute game of my life!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Good score. Beats my best by a factor of x16 or x17, and I own it! Bet you’d keep it if you could after that.

1 month later
#16298 6 months ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Gents + Gals,
Are Stern likely to build a Metallica Vault Edition?
You guys are so lucky in USA
Over in UK these pins are rare as rocking horse shit

Have you talked to Chris B? I got my Prem off him. Less than 200 plays! He often has trade-ins passing through & if you have the cash waiting it should be a simple transaction.

1 month later
#16426 5 months ago
Quoted from Graysonsdad:

I dont like toppers but that is a good one

Seconded!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
5,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Green Bay, WI
$ 25.50
Sale Pending!
Evansville, IN

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider monkeyboypaul.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside