Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0271 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7243 Magnet removal Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (7 years ago)

Post #8935 Buzzing flippers fix Posted by j_m_ (7 years ago)

Post #19696 Fixing random drop targets dropping Posted by swampfire (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lotr_breath.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

315 posts in this topic match your search for posts by lotr_breath. You are on page 1 of 2.
#2198 9 years ago

I just joined the club over the weekend! Traded my Congo and a wad of cash for a Premium Monsters Edition!

20150206_212549.jpg20150206_212549.jpg
#2199 9 years ago

Now a question. I've heard of drop targets bricking, but I have the opposite problem. The first 2 drop frequently on their own, usually right after reset. Do the target blades themselves just need to be replaced?

2 weeks later
#2266 9 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Checked FWTBT mode again tonight. No spider insert unless it's a red combo. All three crosses blink on all 5 lanes and go solid when the lane is shot/made. Snake then blinks on the lanes where the cross is solid. If a snake is made, the chair insert blinks. Once all 5 lanes are complete (each lane three times), 25mil is awarded on the last shot.

Also, each time you either complete a shot column(cross, snake, chair on a particular shot) or a shot row(ex. crosses on all 5 shots or snakes on all 5 shots) the jackpots is awarded at double. The last jackpot you make to complete all the shots is awarded at 4x because you are completing a column and a row with one shot. The individual jackpots are worth 1.8M and the double jackpots are worth about 3.6M. I say about because each jackpot you make, the next one goes up by 5K points. If you complete this mode by collecting at the scoop, even without any playfield 2x, it is worth about 149M! Can be worth about 56M more if you get 2x off the piston target right before collecting at the scoop. I know that most tourney players seem to go for Fade to Black, but For Whom the Bell Tolls is my go to CIU mode.

#2274 9 years ago
Quoted from EricR:

If you clear them all the scoop lights for a partial value of the CIU you completed. I forget what the percentage is though.

Not exactly. The scoop lights for the CIU collect when you get 1 cross, 1 chair, 1 snake, and 1 coffin. The inserts right in front of the flippers will let you know. This is common to all 4 CIU modes. My strategy is to collect as many of those 4 shots right away while the ball saver is still active. Also the collect value seems to be much closer to 100% of what you have earned so far in the mode.

Edit: I just re-read your post and I believe you are referring to something else. Apologies if I just put my foot in my mouth.

1 month later
#2783 8 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

This game really is brutal. Tonight I hit 150 games in 5 days and I am the only one who has played it. The sad thing is I have a couple 100+ million games, a bunch of 50-80 million games and a whole LOT of under 10 million games. Everyone talks about STTNG being a drain monster but after owning both, the outlanes on Metallica are deadly.
I have been going with the tactic of starting with sparky multiball since it's the fastest way to complete everything needed for Crank it Up. I seem to have a bit of trouble hitting the scoop though and find myself draining ball 3 with CIU lit, which really sucks.

I hear you brother. I put over 550 games on my Met premium in the first month! I used to start with Sparky , but not anymore. The key to big scores is getting one or more hurry-up shots completed on the first ball. Now those shots remain completed for the rest of the game, helping you build towards multiple CIU modes. My favorite shots to complete are the right ramp and the Graveyard lane. It feels great when I get 2 CIU's in the same game, and I have made it to 3 CIU's in a game once or twice. When in CIU mode, do not cave in and cash out the collect if it is smallish(say, under 40M). Best thing you can do is get the fuel letters completed so the piston target is ready. Get your CIU collect up, then hit the piston target(doubling the playfield), then combo that right into the CIU scoop for a double collect. My largest collect by doing this was in For Whom and it was over 160M for the one shot! My best score is now 377M and to get your initials up at all on my Met you need at least 250M. Good luck and know that you are playing one of the best Stern's EVER!

#2824 8 years ago

I have Cliffy's on several of my games. But I don't have any on my Met Premium. They just don't seem needed. Close to 1000 games and everything looks perfect.

#2999 8 years ago

It also gives a nice fat award for finishing a CIU mode(before the scoop collect). I've seen 15M and I've seen 30M. I believe the 15 is on FTB and the 30 is on FWTBT. Does anyone know or have a list of that award for the 4 different CIU modes?

#3083 8 years ago

Open coin door, take glass off, put ball in shooter lane. If you do this prior to 4 ball searches completed you should be OK. Also, there is a setting for "coin door ball saver" you can set to "yes", and another to disable the tilt mech while the coin door is open.

#3127 8 years ago
Thanks for the heads up!

#3273 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

The outlanes on this game feel like STTNG sometimes.

I have learned to shake the game EVERY time it goes into the left lane area, whether it looks like it needs it or not. It's surprising how many saves I get directly off the metal divider lanes. Still pisses me off when I shoot the fuel lane and it rewards me with an outlane drain. So I even shake it then as well!

#3321 8 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I thought the inlane double count on coffin was only toward CIU. I think you still have to hit it the required amount for MB. Can someone confirm?

No, the double coffin shots absolutely count towards coffin locks as well. Also, you can progress to a coffin lock during a MB, you just can't actually get a lock until the MB is over. As far as hitting coffin from an inlane, try hitting super early from the right inlane. At first I didn't think it was doable but now I hit that shot all the time.

#3357 8 years ago

I heard just "Coffin" the other day when starting that MB.

The ball usually does bounce around a bit on a half right ramp shot. Normal.

For the Snake screw, I used a short phillips head bit and turned it with some needle nose pliers. Not the best solution, but it worked for me when installing the fangs.

#3362 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Anyone notice getting right ramp credit when you fudge the shot and hit the two pick targets? I need to check to make sure I'm not crazy, but I swear I have earned ramp credit during Lady Justice or in getting to Lady Justice by not actually making the ramp...

No, but I have gotten right orbit credit for plunging the switch at the top of the orbit without going all the way into the top lanes!

1 week later
#3501 8 years ago

I've got a question about converting a Met Premium to the traditional captive ball. I've got one ordered from PBL. The current set-up is a steel block with a captive ball behind it. The PBL replacement comes with a pinball. My question is this. When I install the new assy, should it have both balls behind it, or only the one that comes with it? Thanks!

#3516 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Who loves Metallica (the pin)? This adorable 8-year-old girl does - she thinks it's "cool and rad and fun"! This makes me happy that we have a laissez faire league, where things like this can happen.

Matalica Rocks!.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

John, nice story. Apparently Metallica pinball is cool, but not as cool as powdered doughnuts!

#3524 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

5. Amazing DMD animations.

And 10 times more amazing with the color DMD! I'm seeing so much more on Metallica since the upgrade.

#3547 8 years ago

Just got a box in the mail with Speaker Light kit, Flipper covers, and Captive ball kit for my premium. I'll post some pics when it's done.

#3548 8 years ago

Light kit and flipper mod done. Captive will take a little longer.

20150519_134159.jpg20150519_134159.jpg 20150519_134311.jpg20150519_134311.jpg 20150519_134332.jpg20150519_134332.jpg
#3578 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Look, my hairline is trying to slowly crawl back to my neck too, so I'm not trying to throw stones here, but couldn't they have gone with a pic that was a little less "HEY CHECK OUT MY MASSIVE FOREHEAD"?

Not only that, but the beaver teeth! Damn!

2 weeks later
#3649 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

New phone case is relevant.
image.jpg

Where can I get this? Looks fantastic!

#3711 8 years ago

Try making it steeper. Mine usually goes into the top lanes as designed. Mine is a premium however so possibly the spinner is slowing the ball down to the correct speed.

1 week later
#3841 8 years ago

I took the sneeze guard off my right ramp a while back and have never had a ball fly off. I wonder why there are such varied results? I do have my game pretty steep.

1 week later
#3948 8 years ago

Can anyone explain why the downloaded file looks like this? They've always shown up as a zip file in the past. Is this correct? I'm hesitant to try and load this on the game.

Met_164_file.jpgMet_164_file.jpg

#3950 8 years ago

Thanks for the reply! Time to wipe out some high scores!

#3957 8 years ago

Well, it looks like default captive ball hits for EB is 15. But also on default is EB at 25%. So after quite a few games last night my EB is down to 13 hits already! New code is an improvement for sure, but I haven't started Seek & Destroy yet to see it in action.

1 week later
#4034 8 years ago

OK, that cabinet pic sucks and I feel for you there. The rest of the stuff, I'd chalk it up to minor, maybe non-existent problems. I mean, scratches on a capacitor on a circuit board? Come on, man.

#4066 8 years ago

This happened to me the other night. On 3rd ball, shot left ramp which started both SnD and Lady Justice at the same time. Hit a pick target and immediately drained. Scored 100k for Seek and Destroy and 100k for Lady Justice! Top that!

#4077 8 years ago

Me likey the loop pass! I used to mainly go for Super Skill, loop pass to piston lane to light 2x. BUT, I now mostly go for Super Super Skill loop pass if the lit shot is on the left, live catch or on the fly if the shot is on the right. It so important to complete hurry-ups to help build towards CIU. I feel like I'm always only a few shots away from 2x when I need it.(5 max).

#4079 8 years ago

Here is one to try out. I call it the Scoop Pass. I can execute this probably around 50-60% of attempts. In multiball you have 2 balls trapped on the right flipper. Give a short quick flip and the upper ball goes into the scoop and the lower ball stays on the right flipper. Then when the ball ejects out of the scoop do a drop catch with the left flipper and bam! The fanciest cradle separation you've ever seen.

I know, I know. You could just do a normal cradle sep, but this is way more fun!

#4091 8 years ago

Yes, it blinks faster as time runs out. There is no limit to how long you can keep it running. There is even a very short grace period after it goes out.

#4100 8 years ago

Those inserts actually have nothing to do with 2x scoring. The triangle with the guitar/spider is your 2x indicator. The other 3 are lit via pop bumper hits. Then hit the fuel lane for a "blown piston", something almost meaningless in the grand scheme. I think 10 blown pistons lights another extra ball.

#4133 8 years ago

Well, after about 1000 games I finally blew it up! My previous best was about 375M. This game included 2 CIU's. Best was scoring 254M on FWTBT alone! Multiple Sparky's, multiple Graveyards, got Coffin MB stacked with Snake, got Seek&Destroy. Even made Blackened although I do have the adjustment of 1st Band member at one set of picks. That is the only adjustment that isn't factory. I will most likely never beat this score!

20150718_222852.jpg20150718_222852.jpg

#4136 8 years ago

Thanks guys. This was right after 3 or 4 games of not even breaking 20M!

#4165 8 years ago

Sad but True plays during Snake MB.

#4199 8 years ago

Ditto. I've had the colorDMD on Met premium since it first came out. I updated to 1.64 as soon as it was released and have no issues at all other than it just looks awesome!

#4212 8 years ago

There's nothing in the new code that should make it harder to score big. The only major change should make it a little easier to get to 2nd and 3rd CIU modes. You know what Steve Ritchie would say.......Play Better!

#4222 8 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Theres something strange about your game. The lit spider shot stays the same regardless of what shot you hit. Maybe its old code, or?

I only watched the first 3 minutes but everything looks normal to me. Great looking game BTW!

#4230 8 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Try hitting it on the fly after a right ramp. Not only does that combo score an increasing jackpot, but it can be easier to hit that way. Sad, but true.

I feel the same way about the left ramp. For me much easier to hit on the fly. If I had a dollar for every time I hit the left ramp from a trap, I'd have about........ $5.

1 week later
#4322 8 years ago

I won't thumbs down that post, but I don't believe it.

#4360 8 years ago

I just did something I've never done before. Started Seek & Destroy AND Coffin MB with one shot to the captive ball!

#4393 8 years ago

From my experience, epoxy will not hold on anything that the ball actually contacts. Works great on other stuff.

#4395 8 years ago

Yes, there is an opto that senses ball near feet. You can test it in switch test mode with the glass off.

2 weeks later
#4484 8 years ago

Wow! Never had a Seek & Destroy like this one. Kept it going through a Coffin MB stacked with Graveyard MB, then kept it going for a long time during my second CIU mode which was For Whom the Bell Tolls. The final score was 364M which is pretty good, but the S&D score blew me away when I put my initials in!

20150905_181052.jpg20150905_181052.jpg

#4491 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

what is the general consensus on colordmd mode that looks best on MET?

I set all my color DMD's to upscaling. I figure if I want to just see colored dots I might as well just be looking at a normal DMD.

#4497 8 years ago

THaT iS SomE funNY S#$! wriTe TherE!

3 weeks later
#4614 8 years ago

Nice flippers, but I like this look better....

20150519_134159.jpg20150519_134159.jpg

1 week later
#4691 8 years ago

I have not seen that before. If it's still under warranty, I would provide them the pics and see if they can just send you another trough.

2 weeks later
#4872 8 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Hey, another one who took the spot lights off the slingshot plastic! Iam glad I temoved this and the sneezeguard on the right. Much cleaner look for the Home environment. Is there full Metallica rubber kits available at Titan?

You are absolutely right. I took off the sneeze guard and the spot lights and it looks so much better!

3 weeks later
#4999 8 years ago

I don't really care about the difference. BUT, I do find it weird that the DMD reads one thing and the call-out says the other.

1 week later
#5088 8 years ago
Quoted from XpadreX:

Trying to search- where to start when your game starts by feeding three balls?

Reseat the connectors on the ball trough optos.

#5102 8 years ago

Too funny! Glad you figured it out.

#5110 8 years ago

Sparky Clause!

20151208_213923.jpg20151208_213923.jpg

#5132 8 years ago

He goes well with this.....

Ride_The_Lightning.jpgRide_The_Lightning.jpg

#5133 8 years ago

Here is a code addition that would be cool. Lady Justice seems to be missing something. How about when the mode starts, you are awarded an add-a-ball for every 5 combos done during the mode. Then when the timer runs out the mode continues until you drain down to one ball? Much harder to combo when there are more than one ball on the playfield! You could even have a playfield x = numbers of balls on the playfield.

#5166 8 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

I'd rather they fixed the problem with Sparky coil locking on and catching fire if the game is powered off with the coin door open, once it's turned back on again .
The game play code is as close to perfect as you can hope for. Sure we've all got ideas as to how it could become better, but there's nothing missing from making it a fantastic game to play.

Not familiar with that. Has that been a common problem with Metallica?

#5233 8 years ago

You have to watch the DMD very closely when you hit the captive ball. Best thing to do is trap up and scroll through the instant info.

#5238 8 years ago

The freaky deeky Dutch!

#5277 8 years ago

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=77&pg=1

I think you should be able to find a replacement here. Just measure the old one to get the correct length.

2 weeks later
#5465 8 years ago

To sum up: Alligator clips, phooey! Snake mod = good. Premium/LE = great. Pro model = also great!

1 week later
#5642 8 years ago

There are three switches in the Snake. One registers hits to a closed jaw. One registers when the mouth is open. One registers a ball sitting in the mouth. That 3rd one is the one you need to either adjust or replace. Put the game into switch test. I think there is even a Snake test function in utilities.

#5660 8 years ago

Don't bother with trying to stack hurry-ups. Far too often you'll get the shot lit up and flashing but not collect at the captive ball before draining and then all that work for nothing. Concentrate on completing one shot at a time and definitely start with the cross. Then you will also make progress toward Graveyard MB. Next I like to try to complete the ramps. If you can combo the ramps and you have one or both completed, you can make very fast progress towards CIU. As for CIU, if I'm playing a premium/LE, I go for Fade to Black, then For Whom, then Enter Sandman, then Sparky. If I'm playing a pro, I'll start with For Whom, then either FTB or Sandman, then Sparky. The main difference is the spinners. FTB has switch hit driven jackpots so the spinners are your friend. On a pro without spinners, in FWTBT you can combo ramps to get quick points before you change over to the orbits and graveyard.

One other overall strategy for all CIU modes. Don't worry too much about trying to get the four main shots to light the collect scoop. That's a great way to have a 2-5m crank it up mode! Get some jackpot shots right away so that if you drain quickly you'll still have some decent points out of your CIU mode.

1 week later
#5841 8 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Question for MET owners - how family friendly is family friendly mode? I've played a few on location and don't remember anything that bad. It's always loud with other games running so might of not heard everything. I heard some words are just bleeped out but not sure.

It's family friendly, but it's not 100% clean. You'll hear things like "Hell Yeah", "Damn", etc. You'll also hear things like, "Jack F@#-N Pot" and "He's Fu#@ed Now", where the actual word is bleeped but it doesn't take much imagination to understand what was actually said.

#5850 8 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Does the insult meter turn off the bleeped out curse words? My kids are almost 12 so it's not like they haven't heard those words but not something I want to promote either. I am mostly thinking of other kids or families that come over and want to play pinball. Although, nobody ever wants to play my pins so not sure if that should even be a concern.

Yes, that is with adult turned off and insult set to low.

#5872 8 years ago

Probably just needs to be a little steeper.

#5900 8 years ago

Sad But True gets my vote. Harder beat, dirtier, grittier. King Nothing is a good song, but a little more on the commercial side of Metallica's work.

#5922 8 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

No, they're equally stinkers.
Throw Damage, Inc or Phantom Lord on there!

Agree, Damage Inc. is bad ass. How about Leper Messiah?

#5953 8 years ago
Quoted from balselly:

Can some tell me if the update from 1.63 to 1.64 is worth losing all your high score and settings? I just now saw that 1.64 has been out since last summer.

Not a huge update, but hell yeah. You always want to have the latest code.

V1.64 - April 23, 2015
======================

- Seek & Destroy mode has been changed so it now awards 1 cross,
1 snake, and 1 electric chair each time one of the main shots (left
loop, cross lane, left ramp, right ramp, right loop) is made when
lit. This allows progress towards lighting "Crank It Up" during
Seek & Destroy. This rule change also solves the problem of not
being able to light the snake to collect SNAKE letters during
Seek & Destroy, since only a shot on the playfield would allow this.
- Boosted Seek & Destroy scores from 750k to 1M (seek shot) and 375k
to 500k (regular shot).
- Added lamp status on the sparky lamps for electric chair multiball
and battery mode that indicate progress toward lighting the super
jackpot and completing the mode, respectively.
- Added art to the combo high score to date display effect in the
attract mode. Changed the font for the combo award and the combo
jackpot award.
- Increased lady justice "big value" score.
- Added design team members to the default (factory reset) HSTD.
- Increased the display/lamp/sound priorities for the multiball modes
(Coffin, Cross, Electric Chair, Snake). Previously, these were the
same as Fuel/Seek & Destroy, which caused interference. The priority
for Coffin was set to something higher than Cross/Electric Chair/Snake,
as Coffin is rare to get, and alternates between shots and the captive
ball (so there will be opportunity to see Cross/Electric Chair/Snake
effects on the shots when Coffin is available on the captive ball).
- Changed the names of the diagnostic buttons (these are translated now).
- Fixed a problem with the mystery sound effect not coming through due
to higher priority sound effects from previous effects taking too long
to finish up.
- Removed track #4 from outlane drain sound so big effects will not get
cut off.
- Fixed text running off the display.

#5960 8 years ago
Quoted from JeffA:

Thanks. With the glass off and sound turned all the down, you can hear it very clearly. See video » YouTube video. Note that it goes away as soon as the ball goes into the coffin. I moved the camera up to the speaker to show that it's not coming from there, but rather from the coffin mechanism itself. If this is normal, then I'm cool. Everything seems to work fine.

When the coffin is lit for lock yes, this is a normal sound. It should not be making this sound at any other time.

#5965 8 years ago

You can always go into game adjustments and disable the snake, so you can still play during your SB party.

#5970 8 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Yea, switches all check out. It's like the coil's holding the latch.. Didn't see any blown fuses figured it couldn't be that simple

If the coil energizes at power on it's gonna be a shorted transistor on the driver board most likely.

#5985 8 years ago

High score"Gandalf". Who's got the high score on Lord of the Rings, "Lars"?

2 weeks later
#6244 8 years ago

If you're plunging the lanes at the top in any fashion during skill shot, then you haven't discovered the super duper skill shot to fast track towards CIU. Now those little 2m points seem worthless.

#6280 8 years ago

Technically you are correct. But you can't choose 5m all day. The second time it's worth 6m, then 7m, etc.

#6282 8 years ago

Well you may be correct. I know that once you complete(or play) any of the CIU modes, then the next time in the points option is 6M.
Next time in 7M etc. I get super pissed when I get in a hurry and accidentally select the points. Someone once referred to that as "Crank It Down"!

#6288 8 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

I guess that makes sense. I know I rush through the whole process, because the timer definitely counts down while the instructions are on the screen (after the song selection).

Did you know there is a setting where you can turn the instructions for CIU off?

#6297 8 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

So what order do you choose the CIU modes?
I always choose FTB, FWTBT, ES & then Battery if playing in comp as that seems to me to be the order for highest scoring first. I have chosen the points award a couple of times, once because I only need 4mil to beat player 1, and once on last ball because I had Coffin MB and Sparky MB ready to go and needed 50mil to beat player 1, I figured that would be a safer/higher scoring opportunity than a CIU mode, plus during the MB I would be working to the next CIU mode anyway.
Playing for fun it's a 50/50 split between FTB & ES as they just seem to have the best lighting effects and are most fun.

I always take For Whom the Bell Tolls if I'm playing a pro. I always take Fade to Black if I'm playing a premium/LE. FTB with the spinners is pretty easy pickin's. Without the spinners, I'd rather combo ramps during FWTBT. Battery is always my last choice, but hey, you rarely ever get that far in a competition anyway.

3 weeks later
#6480 7 years ago

Please do yourself a huge favor and remove the target mech from the machine and work on it on a bench. It so simple to remove. Four screws and two connectors. The work is tedious and having it on a bench is the only way I would even think of working on it.

#6539 7 years ago

That is one nasty looking LOTR!

#6573 7 years ago

I've always wondered why he has a Chow dog purple tongue?

#6601 7 years ago
Quoted from bax:

I have my met pro on order.
I was wondering what protectors are a must and where they can be sourced?
I did try to plow through this post but 132 pages over 2 years was a lot.
Snake fang and tongue mod seems like a must. Any others either physical or lighting that you think add to game play and/or really upgrade the look? I was looking at PinGraffix products a bit today.

Speaker light kit! Color DMD!

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3068

http://shop.colordmd.com/colordmd-replacement-display-for-metallica-pinball-machine/

#6665 7 years ago

They used to have parts of the manuals on Stern's website like the "pink pages" or "Blue pages". Last time I looked I could not find them. Are they still available on Stern's site?

#6713 7 years ago

What's wrong with "Beaver teeth, massive forehead Lars"?

lars-ulrich_(resized).jpglars-ulrich_(resized).jpg

#6724 7 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Discovered this last night.
I don't know what to say... part of me loves it a lot, but I feel strangely bad about it haha.
» YouTube video
They have others if you dare to dig...

Just so wrong...........

#6776 7 years ago

On my Met premium I have stock backbox speakers and a Flipper Fidelity sub woofer. Sounds awesome!

#6853 7 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

What do HUO monster premiums go for? I'm keeping MET one way or another, but was curious on the current market.

When I got mine a while back, we worked a trade for my Congo + cash where we valued the Met premium @ $5,650. Maybe that helps?

#6869 7 years ago

I read that tech bulletin and it doesn't really apply. The Met inline drops are a completely different design. This is a very common problem on Met. There are several fixes that work to varying degrees of success. Search Pinside for more info but here is what I can remember.
1. Try re-hooking the pull down springs about 1/2 to 3/4 way down the spring.
2. Try stretching out the compression spring that presses on the backside of the target
3. Try adding a washer or 2 to the same area on backside of target.

Met drops are notorious for either dropping when they shouldn't or bricking when they are hit. Once you get them dialed in they usually continue to work just fine.

#6870 7 years ago

BTW, the inline drop assy is extremely easy to remove from the underside of the playfield. Taking it apart is not easy. If you do, take pictures/draw diagrams/refer to the exploded view in the manual to assist you in getting it put back together correctly.

#6877 7 years ago

I could not tell from the photo if these sockets have diodes? Anyway, here's a link to both types.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=288

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=885

#6893 7 years ago

Minor gripe, but the callout of "lock 4 balls in the casket" when actually it's only 3 .

Don't be scared of the drop target assy. It's involved, but not too bad if you have the right tools and some mechanical skills.

For the magnet pole, you need a big heavy duty wrench to break the nut loose, then you can adjust the pole with a large flat blade screwdriver.

3 weeks later
#7097 7 years ago

Replace the coil stop and coil sleeve. Clean the plunger. That will last longer.

2 weeks later
#7196 7 years ago

A while back someone posted that they could easily determine which lanes were lit with no modification and I tried it and it works. If you look closely the left lane is still visible. The right lane will reflect off of the metal post directly above the insert. Once you know what to look for it's pretty easy to tell which lane is lit.

And a mod is available for GB lanes? Wow, who needs that? There is a curved plastic back there for that very reason. To reflect the inserts back to the player, ala TOM.

#7239 7 years ago

Not trying to stir the pot here, but just providing pics and another opinion. I don't feel like it is mandatory to put protectors around magnets if the game is in home use. Here is a pic of my magnet. No protectors ever installed. Not even a Sparky air ball deflector. Just a stock Met premium that has been cleaned and waxed on a regular basis, and balls replaced when needed. Current audit is 1276 games played, but that is since the last code update. So easily over 2000 games played on it.

20160605_160622_(resized).jpg20160605_160622_(resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#7374 7 years ago

I like that there are mystery awards now specific to the CIU mode you are in. Also like the added Snake Super JP and the increasing spinner rule on the Pre/LE. Didn't see this update coming!

#7398 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Same here...played a dozen or so games and heard no new call outs.

I only played three games but I also heard no new call outs. Like at the beginning of Electric Chair I listened intently but it was the same stuff. I did however get the Mystery award during Fade to Black. That was kinda cool. I consider this a minor update, but all updates are appreciated.

Is it worth it, someone asked? Well hell yeah, it's free!

#7414 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

You don't want to know ... All I can say is that none of the songs will be Metallica (ducks for cover).

He's going with Clay Akin's Greatest Hits!

#7430 7 years ago

Plus, Sparky just likes the smell of BBQ!

#7444 7 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

I have the Mezelmods snake fangs and they want to rotate to the left instead of staying in place. I installed them by loosing the screw in the top of the mouth inserted the fangs and tightened the screw back down. I can wiggle them a little side to side and when your playing they will rotate to the left. I don't see how to tighten them down any more as the screw is already tight. Has anyone else had this issue?

I have not had that issue, but I do remember I had to do a lot more than that IIRC to install them. It was a long time ago so I don't recall the details of the install.

#7450 7 years ago
Quoted from jim5six:

Mine bounces back so hard its almost like a sling. Guess I'll order the metal one Tuesday. Just so I understand the intended action; the ball goes up the left loop and hits the post, then the post lowers and the ball should dribble down into the bumpers, correct?
-Jim

That is correct.

#7490 7 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Any way to fix the ball from getting stuck on the snakes lip? This just started happening.

I fixed this problem on mine. There is an adjustment screw with a lock nut you can access from the underside. I recall it being rather difficult to see. This adjusts a stopper that will raise/lower the open position of the snake jaw.

#7505 7 years ago

Whenever the shooter rod is not centered on the ball, the first thing I check is to see if the playfield can be moved in the correct direction. Just lift it up out of the receiver and set it back down in the direction it needs to move.

#7578 7 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

This fix won't work on Metallica in-line drops. They are completely different mechanism, all encased using a single rod through the three targets together.
In theory you can make it work, by adding washers behind the targets to push them forward, but there is no plastic ledge for you to do it the opposite way around. That's how I fixed mine, so I'm not sure how you used that tech bulletin to repair your issue.

I agree. You can use washers in strategic positions, but this tech pub just doesn't apply to Mets inline drops.

#7647 7 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

METALLICA COLORDMD 3.4 ROM UPDATE!
An update to support the new game ROM V1.70 has been posted to our support page and is available for immediate download!
Thanks very much to Chris Enright for making the changes, and Greg and Doug for their help testing the update.
http://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware.html

Wow. That was quick!

#7666 7 years ago
Quoted from racerx12:

Hope someone can help me with this. Love my mettalica pro but all the videos I see show the 4 band member targets flashing until hit. 3 of mine will flash till hit but 1 and it is always the one on the far right of the play field will go off until I run the ball up a ramp and then it will flash again for about 10 seconds and go off if not hit. Is there a setting here I am not aware of? Also no errors are showing in the service mode. Thanks for any help.

Not a setting. Put game in lamp test. I think you may have a loose bulb or wire on that insert.

#7688 7 years ago

Funny, how I'm seeing so many replies to "ignored user comment".

#7698 7 years ago
Quoted from racerx12:

Ok I did a lamp test, checked for loose bulbs and wires and all checks out ok. Any other ideas? Here's a picture.

So, if you go into all lamp test does it light? If you go into single lamp test and scroll to lamp #35(Right ramp stand up R.) does it light and nothing else lights? Have you tried a new bulb?

#7699 7 years ago

You could also try re-seating the connectors at J12 and J13 on the power driver board(with power turned off, of course). Those have the row and column wires for that lamp.

#7701 7 years ago

There you go. I would start looking at Pinballlife. They usually have the best prices.

sparky_optos_(resized).JPGsparky_optos_(resized).JPG

#7702 7 years ago

Oh snap. They are closed until 7/18/16.

#7724 7 years ago

Hold left flipper in and full plunge. Look for the one and only shot that is flashing all the inserts. That is the most valuable skillshot by far. Not in points, but in getting you a head start towards Crank It Up. In competition mode it always starts on the left orbit. In normal play, it is a random shot.

1 week later
#7885 7 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

So if I go all the way to the left, and start going right, I get the songs in that order but the list stops and is all the way to the right at Battery. I cannot continue going right to select any of the last several songs.
Other times, the list starts on master of puppets (all the way to the left) and goes right to Fuel but never lets me pick anything to the "left" of master of puppets in the list.

I would try a factory reset. If that doesn't fix it, I would re-load the firmware.

2 weeks later
#8072 7 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

Twice last night while in mid-play my machine ended the ball as if I had drained. Has this happened to anyone?

This happens on all Stern games. Usually a 30 second fix. Just open the coin door, reach inside and push on the small connectors on the front and rear of the ball trough. You will usually feel that one or both were not fully pushed on. They back off over time from the vibrations.

#8097 7 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

I'm not a Metallica owner just yet, hope to be in a not too distant future, after I figure out if I want to Premium or Pro...and make space, but I'd like to throw out a question I don't recall ever seeing a comment on: what is the function of the color changing insert leds in the Premium and LE models ? Does the color affect gameplay?

They do make a big difference. For instance, when the piston shot is ready for 2x on the premium/le, it lights purple. On the pro it's just the same white that you always see, leaving the question is it really time for 2x or not?

During Fade to Black, when you finish the mode and move on to the victory lap phase, the GI is mostly off and the inserts are a deep blue. Just awesome looking. You don't get the same effect on the pro.

Even better than the inserts is the tri-color GI, allowing red and blue shades of GI at the appropriate times.

#8104 7 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

I did...I increased the coil setting from where it was (32...perhaps the default?) to the max 64 but that hasn't solved the issue.
Any additional thoughts/suggestions? Bueller?

I've had this problem. It's about 95% consistent now since I put a target splint from Mezelmods on the pick stand-up closest to the snake. My target kept creeping over and the ball would graze off of it, sometimes throwing the ball all the way to the left outlane.

#8184 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Ok thanks guys for your answers! I guess what I really want to know is: If both have coffin multiball, then the only difference between the 2 is that on the premium you can actually see the balls being locked up in the coffin? Is that it?

That's correct. On the pro they are virtual locks.

#8199 7 years ago

You should really read this....

tallica feature matrix (resized).JPGtallica feature matrix (resized).JPG

#8404 7 years ago

Zero fuses blown on my Met pre, over 1000 games.

1 week later
#8468 7 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

I like the pinballbulbs.com protectors because they are clear In the middle and don't wash out the insert. +1 for pinbits sparky cover. Fluorescent Orange is where it's at!

Looks very good. I would suggest removing the spot lights mounted on the slings. The game opens up and looks so much better without them. And thanks for reminding me that my Sparky magnet looks even worse than yours. I need to take care of that!

#8477 7 years ago

I did like many others have done. Relocated the left spotlight to underside to back light the fuel targets. Relocated the right spotlight to underside to light up the scoop. The area in front of the flippers is not too dark and the artwork on the slings can now be seen. I didn't come up with the idea, I just think it looks great that way.

#8504 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Okay, suddenly my grave marker opto switch is constantly on. I inspected the switch, opto alignment, etc. but it all looks fine.
If I unplug the opto sensor from the opto board, it still registers as on, so it's not the opto's themsevles.
Any suggestions?

You have a sender and a receiver but they are identical parts, just used differently. Try swapping the position of the two connectors on the small opto board. If it starts working you can actually leave it that way in a pinch, but it would mean you have a bad opto.

2 months later
#8736 7 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

Blowing f10 fuse no shorts that i can see ??? Anybody?? Have this happen before

What does F10 supply? What have you done so far to troubleshoot?

#8743 7 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

It supplies the flippers and I believe the magnets i can put a new fuse in then start playing no problem / then i hit sparky bam fuse blows i see no shorts no wires smashed im really lost on this one

OK, I got some good news for you. F10 supplies 20vdc flasher circuits. You most likely have a shorted flasher bulb, or could be a socket or wiring to a socket, but most likely just a shorted bulb. Since you said it happens when you hit Sparky there are 3 circuits to check
Q27, Electric Chair x2
Q28, Electric Chair Spotlights x2
Q32, Electric Chair insert

So replace your fuse, go into solenoid test mode, make sure you pull out the interlock switch to supply high voltage. Test these 3 flashers one at a time. When the fuse blows you've found the bad circuit. Then I would first just try a new bulb, or you could try it with no bulb and see if it still blows fuse.

1 week later
#8799 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

guys - how do you make the lockdown bar tighter? Old machines there were two screws you could adjust. What abotu with the stern ones like this game?

No adjustment that I know of. Make sure the latches are all the way up over the hooks. I've never experienced a loose lockdown bar with the new style latches.

4 weeks later
#8967 7 years ago

I see we are related!

20161214_215019 (resized).jpg20161214_215019 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#9064 7 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

The MET I'm looking at buying has a complete kit from cointaker. Currently trying to decide between a 1 owner HUO STTNG and a 1 owner HUO MET Pro with the wooden backbox.

Oh holy hell. I've owned both and you will enjoy Metallica way longer. STTNG is unique and a decent game, but Met is in another league.

2 weeks later
#9233 7 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Here is mine. The plastic seems shorter?

That is the factory plastic and the one I chose to stick with. Well over a thousand games on mine and no problems in that area other than a little paint worn off of Sparky's shoes, which I think would happen even with the extended protector.

#9241 7 years ago
Quoted from roddog:

We were playing a game tonight and the ball got stuck on the magnet under the hammer. The hammer did not go down on it and the device eventually lowered and came back up while still holding the ball. The ball drained and the machine would not spit out another ball.
Now the diagnostics say that the snake jaw is unable to open or close. You can start a game but no balls will eject.
I have no idea what is going on. It also seems that the snake jaw is not registering a hit during a switch test. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

Sounds like a blown fuse. Remove the translite and with the front door closed power on and look at the fuses. There will probably be at least one that doesn't have it's LED indicator light on.

#9252 7 years ago
Quoted from roddog:

It was a blown fuse alright. Thank you! I was scared it was something more serious. My first soldering job ever was to a switch on the snake and I thought it came back to haunt me. Looks like I need a 7A/250V fuse. Are these special or can I buy them anywhere?

Pinballlife, Great Plains Electronics, make sure you get slo-blo. You might be able to find them locally but the price is usually inflated.

#9388 7 years ago

I usually just take the core out and grind it flat again and re-use. But PBL is usually a good place to look.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1837

#9426 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I don't think that's the issue. When the target drops fully which it does most of the time, it sits completely flush. Occasionally it will only drop most of the way down. Another hit will usually drop it fully unless the ball gets stuck behind then glass needs to come off.

Are you the original owner? Has the drop target assy ever been adjusted/modified?

I'm asking because I have the exact problem you describe. I created the problem myself but it happens rarely enough that I can live with it. The drops are notorious for either falling down on their own or bricking. I had the problem of falling down on their own. So I modified my drop target assy by adding washers which puts more pressure behind the targets. But I got too much pressure and sometimes the drop will actually hang up on the edge of the drop target decal, which means it will stick up about 1/8 inch above the playfield. Now, that is fine if the next ball is a fast moving ball because it will just knock the target the rest of the way down as it rolls by. But if it is a slow moving ball it may get trapped behind the target and require a glass removal to free the stuck ball.

#9507 7 years ago

One of the most obvious ways to check a routed game is any wear at all around the coin slots. If not then that area should look perfect. Also audits can be reset but you could check audits for coins thru right slot, left slot, paid credits, etc.

#9539 7 years ago

We were all new at some point. Just put the legs on, stand up the head and secure, put the balls in, install the tilt bob, cut the securing wire tie off of Sparky(if there is one) and turn it on and see what happens.

#9547 7 years ago

Tilt is part of the game of pinball. Leave it off if you want, but you're missing out on a significant part of the game.

#9620 7 years ago

I would like to point out, don't be too gentle! You need to have the apron on it. Just hold the center of the apron and don't be scared to give it a firm shove to get it seated.

#9742 7 years ago
Quoted from Thanos75:

I didn't have the door opened or anything. Just happened during a normal play.

Be very careful when you power it back on. You may have a shorted transistor which would cause the coil to energize right away and if left on it would fry the new coil as well.

#9901 7 years ago

This was added back in v.1.64. So even though S&D does reset all your successful hurry-up shots, at least you can make progress to your next CIU while playing S&D.

Seek & Destroy.
to 500k (regular shot).

One of the coolest things about S&D is that as long as you can keep it running(by making the lit shot and following up with a captive ball hit) you can keep it running along with virtually any MB, CIU, you name it.

#9930 7 years ago

There is an adjustment for the jaw position. Yours needs to be moved up slightly. Look for a screw with a lock nut. It's a bit of a pain to adjust.

#9934 7 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

Thanks. I'll try adjusting the jaw tomorrow. Would adjusting the jaw upward stop the air balls when the ball is launched out of the snake? It's more like the snake pitches the ball to my left flipper rather than spits it.

I think it could, yes.

#9961 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I installed the metal post at the top today, much better. I had no roll backs. First game I played, broke 300 million. My game is set to 3 ball with a couple of fixed interval extra balls, rest is factory.

I read this as "My game is set to 5 balls".

#10048 7 years ago

Hey, if I could mount an LCD version in Tommy then anything is possible!

#10075 7 years ago

The Super Skill Shot for points is a sucker shot. The Super Skill to the one and only shot that will be flashing is the one to go for. Completes the first stage of getting all the inserts lit on that shot. Then all you have to do is shoot that shot one more time, then shoot the flashing captive ball, and you have that shot completed for the rest of the game. This is the best way to work towards CIU.

In competition mode that flashing shot will always be the left orbit until collected, then the next time it moves one shot to the right. In non-competition mode the shot will be random.

#10078 7 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

But getting control of the ball on the right flipper in order to make that shot at the left orbit is extremely difficult (for me). Do you hold the left flipper, do a soft plunge, and then catch with the right flipper? That never works for me. I've tried several ways to get control with the right flipper, but I only end up getting control on the left or neither.

Excellent question! Some players do prefer to short plunge and try to get control on the right flipper. I prefer to do a full plunge and do a loop pass to the right flipper. It's quite difficult and I guess I pull it off about 50% of the time with lots of practice. Another way would be a full plunge into a live catch, then post pass to the right for the shot, but you would be pretty close to the timer running out to pull that off with regularity. If you're not familiar with the loop pass, there is a good example on PAPA's website.

If the game is NOT in comp mode you can do a little trick. Bump the ball off the shooter switch to reveal which shot will be the super skill. But be quick, the timer starts immediately.

1 week later
#10222 7 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

just had the lower half of the GRAVE MARKER snap in half. Doesn't look to bad to replace 3 screws but man Marco has them for $44 , seems kinda high for piece of plastic .

I would give that part number to a dealer and see if they can get it cheaper. If you bought your Met from a dealer they might be inclined to help you out.

#10247 7 years ago

Agree, magnet is a little high, but if it's not causing any problems just play on.

1 month later
#10725 6 years ago

Push the right pick target to the right. Get a target splint from Mezel mods to prevent it from moving back in the way.

3 weeks later
#10894 6 years ago

Yeah, there's no resistor on your board and it does look like a small burn mark, unless that is a reflection. Mini-circuit breakers are your friend when troubleshooting something that is constantly taking out fuses. You can use them in place of the fuse while you are solving the problem.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=56

1 month later
#11082 6 years ago

Look straight down at the ball and manually push in the launch solenoid slowly with your finger. You want to see the two sides of the launch "fork" contact the ball at the exact same time. I recently had to bend mine after it had worked perfectly for thousands of games. If it needs bending, you'll have to take the entire mech apart and use some very strong set of pliers, or a vise. That is some very strong steel!

#11088 6 years ago
Quoted from bdaley6509:

My hammer magnet was stuck on and getting super hot. After some pinside reading, I found the white resistor in the cabinet from the magnet board. Tried resoldering and resinstalling but it didnt work. Guess I'll be calling Stern on the 5th. Please say a prayer for my MET. Thank you.

Unless your game is still under warranty, Stern probably won't be much help, except for maybe a little technical advice. Here is the part you need. $65 plus shipping.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4029

#11114 6 years ago

I had to bend the fork so that the left side was INTENTIONALLY higher than the right side. This fixed my problem. I got the idea from a long battle with my Shadow launch failing to clear the top of the ramp. After many trials with the Shadow, I fixed it by intentionally aligning the plunger NOT to strike the dead center of the ball. It is totally counter intuitive, but you might want to think along those lines to try to solve this.

Edit: Looking at the picture, a better description would be Left fork bent in front of right fork, not higher.

#11115 6 years ago

Here is a pic. Hope that helps.

20170707_151015 (resized).jpg20170707_151015 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#11197 6 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

So, I finally decided that I had had enough of that insanely loud buzzing from my left flipper, so I decided to do whatever I could to fix it. Pretty much the extent of what I was willing to do was to tighten everything up, and to try replacing the coil stop and coil sleeve, since the coil is obviously working fine. So I got the coil stop unattached, and found the sleeve to be dirty but not obviously damaged, but I replaced both of them anyway, and that most definitely made the noise problem almost 100% go away. That's the good part...
The bad part is that the head of one of the screws holding the coil stop in place literally fell off as I lowered the playfield. So, I now have a single good screw and one with several threads in place holding the stop there. For now, everything seems to be working great, but I will obviously have to get this screw out at some point in the future. Any suggestions as to how to do that? I assume there is a way to drill it out....

If you take the flipper mount plate completely off, I would think there should be enough threads sticking through the back side to just grab it with pliers and turn it out the back.

1 week later
#11245 6 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

Is it possible to get a replacement label on the apron for Metallica Pro that DOESN'T have the message on it about "if you play this machine you might have a seizure"? It would look so much better with a label similar to the one on the left side of the apron that lacks this vitally important message...

Can you post a pic of the one you need? I've been to a boatload of launch parties and have some stickers and plastics.

#11247 6 years ago
Quoted from shelby1000:

This may seem like a newbie question but what is exactly is a shaker motor for? I mean I figure that it is supposed to shake a specific toy on the playfield like Sparky in Metallica but doesn't the machine do that already anyways being stock? Or do you have to actually purchase and install a shaker motor to get the Sparky toy to shake and if you don't then it doesn't shake when the mode is activated because it doesn't come with a stock shaker motor?

No, it makes the whole cabinet shake and you feel it through the flipper buttons and lock down bar. I really, really don't like them. Many people do, though.

1 week later
#11299 6 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

This is the one I'm looking for... many thanks in advance lotr_breath if you happen to have one that you wouldn't mind parting with.

Sorry man. I checked my stash and this is all I have for Metallica.

20170803_175027 (resized).jpg20170803_175027 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#11425 6 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

85vett thanks for the response.
Figured out the switch that should be triggered when the ball goes in the mouth wasn't registering. No matter what I tried, no luck. Took the whole snake mechanism out of the pin (what a bitch to get out and back in). Anyway, all switches working fine once I tested with the snake removed from the PF.
Back in, now it registers when ball is in the mouth. But now I have another problem (I think). All I have to do is hit the jaw ONCE now when it's closed, then it drops and I can shoot the ball into the mouth. Pretty sure I used to have to hit it at least three times before the jaw would drop enabling me to shoot it into the mouth. Wash rinse and repeat around 5 times in order to launch Snake MB.

Hit jaw once, then it opens. That is how it is supposed to work.

2 weeks later
#11523 6 years ago

Always remove magnet cores by screwing up through the top. And definitely replace that one, it needs it. All you really need is a big wrench and a large flat blade screwdriver.

1 week later
#11571 6 years ago

Or you could just remove the drop target mech from underneath. It's SOooo easy. Two connectors and four screws and it just lowers right out. I can have mine out in about 1 minute with a power tool. I use alcohol to clean the face of the targets.

#11572 6 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

So it's been 3 days so far and, I love this game!! Still trying to figure things out a bit more. When the spiders are lit what does that mean? For instance, during play one spider would be lit and if I shot for it nothing would happen from what I could see. Also what happens when you completely spell Metallica?

I really recommend you watch this....

http://pinballvideos.com/v/321

2 months later
#12062 6 years ago

Hits during CIU do not count to the next Ciu. The number of hits needed for the next CIU does increase. The amount of starting hits needed and the amount of increase to the next one is adjustable in the menus.

1 month later
#12406 6 years ago

And the type of flipper rubbers too.

1 week later
#12494 6 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

It was a bad coil just in case anyone wanted the conclusion to the mystery. Not sure what caused it and visibly it still looks okay but it just was dead :-/

Taylor Reese looked at it funny!

2 weeks later
#12602 6 years ago

Do you have a cliffy on that scoop? If so it can cause all sorts of wacky kick outs if it gets bent or displaced.

1 week later
#12718 6 years ago

Are the flashers incandescent? They may be all burned out, or it could be a fuse.

#12725 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Oi. Hey gang I need someone proficient in Pinball Browsers help. I've donated to Oliver so if you have time to make me an update with totally horrible songs for Louisville Arcade Expo by Fri please pm me. It pays $50.

If you really do this, I'd say you have to include this song...LOL

1 month later
#13027 5 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

I’ve been having an intermittent problem with the trough switches. A couple times a ball would drain and would not be recognized so another doesn’t exit into the shooter lane. After a few ball searches the ball/round will end and a new ball will eject for the next ball/round. I went to switch test and ejected balls while watching the test screen. After a number of ejects I noticed at one point non of the switches registered. I then put the ball in the drain and they all registered again. I adjusted the switches and it seems to work better, but it did happen again.
So getting to the question, what could cause all the switches not register at one point or could it just be I need to tweak the switches some more?

Reconnect the large "Z" connector for the ball trough. Also reconnect the two smaller connectors on the opto boards on the trough.

#13030 5 years ago

Yes, it's a big connector, about 20 pins.

#13057 5 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

Since I don’t have my Met yet I don’t know how many balls need the be installed.
I want to order silverjets to replace the stock balls. How many do I need? 4?
Thanks for the help.

Mistake. There is NOTHING WRONG with the stock Stern balls. They solved that issue years ago. Take them out of the pouch, clean the protective oil off of them with alcohol, and drop them in. The last game I bought NIB(GOT Premium) they were even the shiny variety.

#13061 5 years ago

Yes, Star Trek was years ago.

1 week later
#13171 5 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Anyone else ever get so pissed at this game? Probably what draws me back to it so much. I have an LE, and that left return lane bounces out more balls up and over into the outlane than any pro I have ever played. We have a bunch in the area, and I seem to be able to get to CIU pretty consistently on those machines. Last night, I was lucky to just get Sparky multiball once.

Have you played a Guardians of the Galaxy. The left outlane on it is much worse!

2 weeks later
#13286 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I'm contemplating getting rid of my TWD to pick up a MET pro LED.
Wanted to hear from anyone who has owned or played enough of the two titles to make a comparison.
TWD just seems like such a ball drainer to me. You have the occasional epic game, but it's not a game that gives a lot of satisfaction just to step up to and play.
Also, how tough is it to reach EOTL? How would you rate it out of 10 on difficulty? Let's say Valinor is a 10. And if you've reached BFTK on MM, I'd like to know what you rate that out of 10 to gauge.

If Valinor is a 10, then EOTL is also a 10. I've never reached either and I'm ranked better than 200 on IFPA. YMMV!

#13302 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

And out of curiosity, what is BFTK and/or RTU out of 10?

I have not put a ton of time on MM but BFTK seems to be quite similar to RTU. For difficulty, I would say RTU is only about a 6 or 7, WITH EB's turned on. With no EB's, I have yet to reach RTU. With EB's, I've done it probably 20 times. I came very close to getting it twice in a single game.

2 months later
#13749 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Picked up my Metallica Premium today. Right away I'm having issues with the coffin magnet. If I change the settings to enable the magnet after hitting the captive ball it will hold the ball, but it seemingly will never recognizes the ball is there. I don't think "switch 63" is working. The previous owner just replaced the magnet board. I've reset everything, checked for continuity, and tested the magnet (4.8 ohms). Anything else I can test or is the only option to try another magnet board. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Magnet Test...

Can you post a video of in game play? Not exactly sure what problem you're having. Also, the magnet does not appear to be flush with the playfield. The ball should roll off and down the playfield when the magnet releases.

#13752 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

So when in a game it will only latch to the magnet when I adjust it to hold for X milliseconds after striking the captive ball. This is a setting that seems to activate the magnet after every hit, regardless of the game being ready to activate a ball. It holds it for a second then releases. It releases even if the ball is ready to be locked. To me it seems like it just never triggers that magnetic switch #63. I can place a ball by hand right on the magnet and it will not activate. Not sure the exact number, but after so many games or triggers without activating the games will display an error. Something like "Check switch 63. Out of service." I can reset it, but that doesn't help.
You are correct it's a little bit down. I guess to me that's a secondary issue. When the settings are as described above, the ball will catch and roll off 90% of the time. The 10% of the time it will catch then get stuck and go though a ball search. During the ball search process is the only time I've seen a ball load into the coffin. If it's ready to lock a ball the ball will say in the coffin, otherwise the game will just kick it back out.

Here are a couple pages to read. I've never had a magnet problem with mine so I don't have any real world advice for you. I do think I would suspect the magnet board first, even though the seller has said it was replaced.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-hammer-magnet-troubleshooting-question-multimeter

https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2016/10/07/pinball-repair-fixing-metallica-lepremium-coffin-magnet/

#13779 5 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Got to answer my own question today,
Just after I posted about backbox speaker upgrade a package arrived from Pinball Life
Awesome products ! Excellent service, Thanks PL !
In that box was Speakers and flipper buttons LED kits, Cool, no need to much around with standoffs
So before and after. Youtube, Not ideal test conditions, my lady said old one sound better, lol, oh well
So if you are considering this probably not worth it,
Before
After

The difference is small, but I agree with her. The "before" sounds better to me.

#13789 5 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Why is there a cow...

Hidden cows have been a running theme on pinball machines for decades. Where you been hiding, man?

2 weeks later
#13882 5 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Anyone have any tips on the easiest way to hit the mystery hole? It is extremely rare that I ever do hit it, but the only way that I have been able to is to launch the ball, let it roll down and hit the left flipper while it's in the down position which bounces it up and to the right into the hole. My second method is to flip the ball right off of the very tip of the left flipper. I earn extra ball at least 2 times every game that I play, yet I can never seem to collect them most times. Super frustrating.

Here is a basic tip. If you have EB lit but are only one or two shots away from MB, take the MB. Quite often the EB will be randomly collected during the MB.

#13906 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Looking to play better, but hoping there might be something specific I can practice.

Use a forward nudge in that area, even when it looks safe. Same goes for Avatar, Guardians, Aerosmith, just to name a few. Specifically on Met, use a little left to right tap when the ball is coming out of the fuel lane. Some Mets are really bad about draining out of the fuel lane. Mine seems to rarely do it.

1 week later
#13968 5 years ago

There is no way to bypass the Sparky intro. I like it but it would be great if Lyman could code in a setting to disable it.

I think a lot of players don't know about this.... When you start 2x at the Piston lane it's 20 seconds. Every time you shoot the Piston lane during that time it resets the timer. You can theoretically keep that 2x running indefinitely. On the premium and LE it's much easier to tell when this is running because the spider insert turns purple. On the pro it is red just like all the other spider inserts.

1 month later
#14225 5 years ago
Quoted from Sixmillion:

But what about the balls that came with my new in box pin? Stern would surely know these balls have to work with magnets. My new pin only has about 40 games on it so far. I received my order from pinball life just this past Monday so I used the balls from them which clearly states on their website theses balls are good for games with magnets. So after about 20 games for each set of balls they are magnetized? At this rate I will not be able to keep up with buying balls. I wonder if that is the issue I am having or maybe it is something else. Could the magnets power be too high? Or is there an issue with how the ball is sent to the shooting lane? So the ratio of 2 balls sent to the shooting lane is about 6 times so far after 40 games. Is this normal?

Could just be a typical trough stack. It happens from time to time on a perfectly working game. If the ball ejects into the shooter lane and falls back into the trough there is a two ball stack. So the game ejects again and two balls come out. When this happens, as long as the ball trough is working and recognizes how many balls are in play, if you let one drain your turn should continue. If your game is doing this, it may just be due to everything being new and clean. It may settle down after more games get put on it.

3 weeks later
#14416 5 years ago

Man that was freakin hilarious!

4 weeks later
#14734 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Can anyone help point me in the right direction? There are a lot of transistors to pick from that all reference the same replacement part 22NE10L.
Which one of these should I use:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=22NE10L

Sorry I was a little late to the discussion. Next time, save some money and get ten from GPE for $12.60. Plus he is extremely fair on shipping.

As long as you're in this hobby, you will eventually need more transistors and you'll already have them!

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/search.asp Search for irl540

#14830 5 years ago

I heard a cool new guitar riff when finishing Fade to Black! You rock Lyman!

#14857 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

This is known in the hobby as the dreaded "Borg Hop" ...

We like to call it "Getting Avatared".

#14858 5 years ago
Quoted from splitcms:

Is it even possible to save the ball with a hard tap?

yes

1 week later
#14939 5 years ago

After many years of ownership, I finally made it to EOTL. What a rush! Nearly doubled my previous high score. Also finished Enter Sandman for (maybe?) the first time. So many highlights to this game. Must have played 5 or 6 Grave Markers and 2 or 3 Sparky's. Stacked Coffin with Snake and Seek & Destroy. So much fun!

20181128_213208 (resized).jpg20181128_213208 (resized).jpg
#14983 5 years ago

The drop target mech is extremely easy to remove. With power nutdriver I can take mine out in like 1 minute. Just two connectors and 3 or 4 screws and the whole thing easily slides right out. Take it out and post some close up pictures and maybe we can assist you.

1 week later
#15115 5 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Can someone share how much difference in EOTL after actually playing decent CIU modes vs. immediately exiting (or draining) out of each of the 4?
I hear claims like just get to EOTL = Billions. Do some players have lousy wizard mode performances...

Hell yeah. I finally got to EOTL. Actually played all the CIU modes. Finished with 600+ million. Not even close to the Billion Club yet.

#15189 5 years ago

Never broke a bill..... until now. Factory settings. Gane lasted 49 minutes!

20181215_144350 (resized).jpg20181215_144350 (resized).jpg
#15204 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

That's insane. How much did you have heading into EOTL?

Only 700+Mil. EOTL was huge, 2.7 bil. Then I played another CIU afterwards and there was a 270+M Seek and Destroy in there as well. Crazy fun game that lasted a long long time.

1 week later
#15305 5 years ago

You can stack locks to the coffin during multiball. You just can't actually lock balls. So you could build up all 3 locks during MB, then in single ball play lock 3 balls with just 3 shots. This is a default but can be changed in the settings.

MB stacks are as Chuckwurt said. Coffin must be started first, then you can bring in only one more(Grave, Sparky, or Snake). You can start Blackened while in any of these. You also can bring Seek and Destroy into any of these. One the best stacks that is rare but does happen is CoffinMB/SparkyMB/SeeknDestroy/Blackened!

#15332 5 years ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Met Premium is my first owned modern Stern machine... I’m new to the game code update process.
is the latest v1.8 gamecode only about 91.0MB big? Everyone spoke about how big they are, but that is usually for the video based games (ex: Star Wars, Iron Maiden)?
Also, does anyone have a valid physical link to v1.7 gamecode for Premium?
Personally, I would like to keep both on file and Stern website only allows current version download. I am running v1.7 right now.
Thanks in advance.

The file for v.1.80 should be 93.9 MB. Only on the Spike games with LCD will you see huge files in the gigabytes.

1 week later
#15405 5 years ago
Quoted from Apinplayer:

So I just had a small piece of the playfield chip off. Any ideas on what I should do? I'm going to start looking into it now but figured I start here. Has this happened to anyone else?
[quoted image]

I would just glue the piece back on and cover it with a small piece of mylar.

#15450 5 years ago

On mine, sometimes the stand-up target next to the Snake will get bent over far enough that the ball will sometimes glance off of it. I just push it back.

1 week later
#15494 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Was it the sparky coil that went up i smoke? That's been known to happen when you open the coin door but haven't heard of it locking on when you power cycle the game.

I believe the sparky coil lock can happen if you power off/on the game with the coin door open.

1 week later
#15530 5 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

So...
Last year my wife gave me the birthday present of all birthday presents. Hardwired experience at the Birmingham Metallica show. I waited all year long, and finally went this past Tuesday night! It was awesome.
Before the show, my wife and I went backstage with the band. Hung out with the band, they were all relaxed and cool to hang. I brought 2 pinball translites (including a Monsters, which I received already signed by DD), which they were happy to sign and actually rather stoked because they like to talk pinball! James says he has a MET pin at the house. He says folks that come by and his kids love to play it. Seemed to me that Kirk was the biggest Pinhead. He listed off four or five pinballs that he had in this current collection. My head was spinning, so all I can remember was that he had an Addams Family in the mix...hahaha. And then I went front row for the show... just an absolutely awesome experience. About two songs in, a guy came by and gave me a signed setlist for the night's show.
My head is still spinning about the whole experience. Also before the show, they had a room with all sorts of memorabilia. This also included some old scrap papers they had scribbled on when they were creating some of the songs we all remember. I was blown away....
Thought I would share some pictures from the night.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

Awesome, my fellow Alabamian! I had a similar experience with Van Halen back in 1980. It's a high you won't come off of for weeks!

1 week later
#15599 5 years ago

I've got 1.80 and colorDMD. I made it all the way to End of the Line twice and haven't seen any non-colorized stuff. Of course, I'm mostly looking at the playfield.

#15649 5 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Something odd is going on with the coffin lock rules on my pro. The way the locks are supposed to work during the other MBs is that you can continue to collect lock counts up and only to the next lock level, but not progress further. Meaning, if you are currently working on lock two, you can keep working toward the next 10 hits to light the lock, but once it is lit, no more hits will count. Only after the current MB is complete can you collect the lock. This is the way it has worked for me both pre and post 1.80 update.
Now, for reasons I can't explain, the behavior has changed. I am now able to collect locks while in grave/sparky/snake MB. This has happened twice now. The last time, I actually started coffin MB while in sparky (not the other way around). There was another member a couple pages back that reported a slightly different locking weirdness. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/306#post-4748269 At the time of that post, I took the glass off just to double check my understanding of the expected behavior on 1.80 in case I missed some kind of change. I also dug around in the rules options and didn't see anything related.
I am curious if anybody has else seen this new behavior.

That is very strange. I would try doing a factory reset. If that doesn't fix it you might try reloading the 1.80 code, if that's possible.

#15661 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I've never updated a ColorDMD - is it hard? Any "gotchas" to look out for?

Super easy. It's the same process you have to do when you buy a new colorDMD.

#15754 5 years ago

Your SD card may be corrupt. I would re-load code and if it continues doing weird stuff, get a new SD card from Stern.

#15759 5 years ago

Ah, the old broken diode trick. If I had a dollar for every time I've seen that....

#15762 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Can the auto plunger be adjusted as well. I've had issues with my manual and auto,plunge since day one. I have adjusted the manual plunger with some success.

My auto plunger worked great for a long time and then developed the "rattle up the shooter lane" problem. I had to bend the forks so that both the forks stayed in contact with the ball all the way to the end of the stroke. It's been 100% now for over a year.

1 week later
#15819 5 years ago

The snake protector is standard on every Met I've ever seen.

2 weeks later
#15947 5 years ago

The RR target and R ramp exit switch are on the same row. The right pop bumper, R ramp exit , and Coffin magnet are on the same column. Pretty sure your got a diode or wire issue on one of those and I would suspect the R ramp exit switch since it is common to all the others.

met switch matrix (resized).JPGmet switch matrix (resized).JPG
1 month later
#16136 4 years ago
Quoted from KYLEDM5:

Not $4000 flat, but close enough. Especially, with how beautiful of condition it is in.

Congrats! The deals are still out there, you just gotta be patient and a little lucky. I got my Met Premium several years ago with powder coated trim and flipper fidelity speakers and sub for $5600. A guy local to me just got a Transformers LE, HUO, and I mean just like NIB. Less than 200 plays.... $3,000.

1 month later
#16387 4 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

Nobody? I looked in the wiki rulesheet, but don't know how you can track the timer on the active fuel double scoring and the snake double scoring and if these both combined result in 4x playfield or not?
Quite important to now when to cash in on the superjackpots in multiball no?

Yes, 2x fuel lane and 2x snake do combine for 4x playfield. That's the only way to hear "jack f'in pot". The fuel lane light will flash faster and faster as it begins to time out. You can reset the 20 second timer by shooting the fuel lane again. So you can theoretically extend it forever. The Snake 2x, I don't think there is any indication of when it times out, other than the ball being spit out of its mouth.

Also the 2x fuel light is much better indicated on the premium/LE because it uses the color purple just for the 2x. On the pro it can be confusing because it shares the color red also with Fuel Mode and blown pistons.

1 week later
#16450 4 years ago

If you're wanting the actual magnet coil the part number is 511-5065-00

#16468 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

LOL, fughettaboudit.

Ya'll sure talk funny up there, LOL

#16473 4 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

Down there mate lol

Well, you're WAY down there. I was referring to New Jersey.

1 month later
1 month later
#16770 4 years ago

Even though the layout is similar, GOTG and Met play nothing alike. I think they're both great games, but Met is just a masterpiece.

#16771 4 years ago
Quoted from ReallifePin:

Hello fellow owners,
I finally got to join the club after years of dreaming about it. I bought a beautiful 2013 Pro. I've spent the last week replacing the Sparky magnet, changing out a couple songs, adding a ColorDMD, and adding a Pinnovators PINPAC. I'm also pretty sure I read every page of this thread. I'm pretty excited!
All was well until I was playing a game and the game started looking for balls after an Electric Chair multiball.
I've since done a switch test and all of Drive 2 does not register in test. (That's all trough switches, all lanes and the pop bumper switches) I tested continuity and I have continuity all the way back to the board. I'm assuming now that it is a board issue but I'm still hoping not.
Can anyone give me some advice on where to look next? If I had to guess I'll have to take off the board and check for any damage. Maybe (hopefully) I'm missing some simple explanation.
What do you all think?Unfortunately, if a whole row of switches is out it probably is a board problem. A friend of mine had that issue on his Shrek a few years ago. IIRC he had to send the board out for repair.

2 months later
#16914 4 years ago

This is what mine looks like. Don't know if it makes a difference but mine is a premium.

20191127_173238 (resized).jpg20191127_173238 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#16979 4 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I never choose EOTL for regular gameplay because I like to keep it as a "treat" for reaching the wizard mode, but I chose it last night and noticed the Super Skill Shot is not available on ball one because it changes the song. Ball 2, 3, and EBs are no problem because the song is locked in for the entire game.

No, it works. What you've gotta do is scroll all the way to the right to EOTL. Now hold in the left flipper which changes to Fuel. Now while still holding in the left flipper quickly flip the right flipper to get back to EOTL. Now you can plunge Super Skill Shot with EOTL playing..

1 month later
#17218 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

does the flipper drop down when the game is turned off? if so, it is almost certainly a blown transistor. The transistor is Q15 according to the manual and you need need STP22NE10L, which can be found at Marco https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/STP22NE10L or other suppliers. as for testing the transistor, check pinwiki, but if I recall, you should not get continuity across the legs.

You could pay $2.99/each plus Marco shipping or you could just order 10 IRL540's from GPE to get the 10% discount, $1.12/each and he will charge very little in shipping. Get ten cause eventually you'll need them in this hobby! Good luck with your repair.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/search.asp

#17219 4 years ago

Whenever I'm unsure of the exact way to test a particular transistor, I always test another known working one on the board, then just compare your findings to the transistor in question. You'll know right away if something doesn't seem right.

2 weeks later
#17274 4 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

So do we know where those rubber stoppers can be bought? I don't see anything on Marcos. And I too have empty holes and scraped paint in lieu of two little pieces of rubber.

Will any of these work? I have wooden backbox so nothing to compare to.
https://www.pinballlife.com/rubber-grommets.html

2 weeks later
#17326 4 years ago

I've had mine for many years. GC is 4 Billion but that was one of the few times I've been to EOTL. The next closest score is 600M. It takes 450M just to get on the board....

2 weeks later
#17385 4 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

I want to connect a led strip to one of my gi's. What type do I need to purchase 6v Ac or DC. Thanks

Met GI is 5.7 VAC.

#17391 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Does the Dirty Donny premium have any difference in value as compared to the other premium version? Thanks.

Never heard of a Dirty Donnie premium. Are you talking about the difference between the Monsters and the Road Case?

#17394 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

the dirty Donny premium has a hand painted sparky, snake and hammer (by the man himself) in what is otherwise a monsters premium game

Wow, if that's what this is, I would say it is worth more for sure!

#17411 3 years ago

Put me in the camp of not being a fan of the green protectors. It just looks strange.

#17453 3 years ago

I also have the mod captive ball and I get zero air balls. Something probably needs to be adjusted.

2 weeks later
#17503 3 years ago

The problem with the originals was the fangs broke easily. I saw many a one fanged snake back in the early days of Met.

1 week later
#17531 3 years ago

That screw may be broken off in the t-nut. Check to make sure you can get it out or you might need a new t-nut as well.

#17538 3 years ago

I love the frosted SMD bulbs from Pinballife. Very good quality and not too bad on price as long as you buy enough to get the discount.

2 months later
#17643 3 years ago
Quoted from Soulstoner:

Found a MET HUO Premium for $6250 plus tax. Is that a decent price or a bit much?

Yes, the plus tax is a concern. Coming from a dealer? FWIW, I bought my Met premium HUO from an individual several years ago for $5700. I felt like it was a very good deal at the time.

1 month later
#17694 3 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Does anyone have a lead on where I can find the snake head weldement for Prem/LE? Part number 515-9669-00
Marco is sold out and mine snapped mid game making my snake sink into the playfield
[quoted image]

Get a dealer to order it from Stern.

#17697 3 years ago
Quoted from tinyrodent:

Nope not even close, got only a handful of good games in, then the controlled lamp problems returned with a vengeance. And now the GI is flickering as well. I went around wiggling every connector without success. Perhaps there is a short somewhere, insulation worn through, or a dodgy butt splice. Not easy to find in any case.

Friend of mine had a similar problem and it was a bad surface mount resistor on one of the node boards. The guy who fixed it was able to solder in a regular type resistor in place of it. Sorry I don't have any more details.

#17700 3 years ago

It had a lot of surface mount shit on it like a node board.

2 weeks later
#17712 3 years ago

I only included the first few lines of each update. Yeah, Lyman is a slacker.

V1.80.0 - November 16, 2018
===========================

- Reworked ball locked lamp effect.
- Captive ball extra ball #1 (default for auto setting) lowered to 10
hits (from 15 hits).
- Combo champion # of combos lowered to 10 combos (from 20 combos).
- Added new marker to The End Of The Line music for better shooter groove.
- One (lady justice) mode was not being restarted when a shot was made
during the mode. This has been corrected.

V1.7 - June 19, 2016
====================

- Timed modes (Blackened, Coffin Hurry-Up, Fuel, Lady Justice, Seek &
Destroy) were not being paused when the Crank It Up mode select was
active. This has been corrected.
- Changed combo scoring so 3+-way combos increase in value much more
quickly.
- Fuel lane now awards 1 blown piston for each lit light, instead of
1 blown piston for all three lit lights.
- Added speech to the "Enter Sandman" and the "For Whom The Bell Tolls"
modes.
- Synced knocker to run with replay/special effects.
- Added speech for chair guy fry ready (electric chair multiball).
- Added a speech call for snake lock lit.

V1.64 - April 23, 2015
======================

Seek & Destroy. This rule change also solves the problem of not
being able to light the snake to collect SNAKE letters during
Seek & Destroy, since only a shot on the playfield would allow this.
to 500k (regular shot).
- Added lamp status on the sparky lamps for electric chair multiball
and battery mode that indicate progress toward lighting the super
jackpot and completing the mode, respectively.
- Added art to the combo high score to date display effect in the
attract mode. Changed the font for the combo award and the combo
jackpot award.

V1.63 - September 2, 2014
=========================

- The 2x playfield multiplier is now paused during cross, electric
chair, coffin, and snake multiball start.
- Crank it up points selection was not scoring the points. This has
been corrected.
- Lady Justice mode start criteria has been changed. Ramp letters and
mode start are allowed as long as seek & destroy and any crank it up
mode are not running. (Previously, ramp letters were allowed during
multiball, but mode starts were not.)

V1.6 - June 5, 2014
===================

- Added "Blackened" (target) mode for collecting all of the band members.
- Added an adjustment to award extra coffins from the captive ball. The
default is "+1 W/ RETURN LANE" which will award 1 extra coffin if the
captive ball is hit within ~2.5 seconds of a return lane switch.
- Corrected some loop logic.
- Lowered 2nd+ combo extra balls from 100 combos to 50 combos. Lowered
the 2nd+ fuel lane extra balls from 40 pistons to 30 pistons.
- Skill shot and super skill shot lamp effects were (occasionally) not going
away when their respective awards were no longer available. (This was

V1.51 - March 17, 2014
======================

- Loop diverter post NOT activated from shooter lane when a ball is being
held on the cross magnet for super jackpot.
- Added "Blackened" and "Ride The Lightning" to the list of songs that
may be selected at the beginning of the game. These were the songs that
were chosen by Metallica fans.
See http://www.metallica.com/news/20140219-605356.asp for more details.
- Implemented an adjustment to vary the music that plays during Electric
Chair / Sparky multiball. The options are:

V1.5 - March 6, 2014
====================

- Mode jackpot value is seeded with the value of the points award, had
the player taken that award. Electric chair lamp effects no longer
requested if the feature cannot be advanced.
- Added lamp effects to seek & destroy mode.
- Added lamp effects for fuel mode.
- Added lamp effects for snake multiball.
- Top lane skill shot without the aid of the loop diverter post awards
2x value (so a non-post aided right top lane is 4x value)

V1.22 - August 13, 2013
=======================

- Fixed some issues with instant info. Cross multiball lit and electric
chair multiball lit screens were not clearing the display before
rendering their text. This has been corrected. Added a border to the
snake letter screen for instant info so it can be more easily
distinguished from the snake letter display effect that is run during
the game.

V1.2 - July 31, 2013
====================

- Fixed a programming issue with bonus that was causing the last frame of
the animating icons to not be displayed.
- Added an adjustment to change the grave marker type. The settings are
"NORMAL" and "R.I.P. TOMBSTONE". The user override for the "Middle
East" dip switch settings now specifies a "GRAVE MARKER TYPE" of "R.I.P.
TOMBSTONE". Bonus, instant info, and grave marker hit / multiball
display effects have been changed to support the new setting.

V1.16 - June 28, 2013
=====================

- Added free play check to attract mode radio.
- Added snake lock feature. This is available during any multiball.
Completing the guitar pick targets during multiball lights the snake
for a timed ball lock. Shooting the snake the first time locks the
ball and awards add-a-ball. While the ball is locked, all playfield
scores are 2X. Completing the guitar pick targets again while the

V1.13 - June 10, 2013
=====================

- Snake shot (eject) was awarding a snake letter when the snake was not
lit to score a letter. This has been corrected.
- Added a flasher lamp effect for Seek & Destroy (destroy) at the coffin.
- Fixed a problem with the initialization of the "seek" shots for Seek &
Destroy (shots were not being lit in the order in which the hurry-ups
were started/collected.

V1.06 - May 13, 2013
====================

- Reworked the cross code to allow opto hits to register as drop target
hits at the start of each ball and whenever the inline drop target
bank is reset.
- Added special for adding a certain number of band members (adjustable,
currently 3).
- Changed coffin multiball from 3 ball to 4 ball.

V1.05 - May 6, 2013
===================

- Modified "fanfare" sound scripts to duck the music.
- Replaced the coffin explosion sounds with better explosion sounds.
- Fixed a problem with the song select. If the song select was
interrupted as the needle was moving, then the music would not play

V1.04 - May 3, 2013
===================

- Added coffin artwork.
- Added fuel artwork.
- Added crowd chant sounds.
- Added art to fuel lane award.
- Cleaned up fuel lane speech.

V1.03 - May 3, 2013
===================

- Changed captive ball extra ball default from "AUTO" (26) to 15.
- Changed up coffin locks. They are now lit via the guitar pick targets
and are independent of collecting the band members.

V1.02 - May 2, 2013
===================

- Cleaned up cross multiball (super jackpot).
- Added an adjustment to allow partially lit shots to remain lit (not
reset) until all are collected. Added a lamp effect for the shot

V1.02 - April 30, 2013
======================

- Tweaked bonus attenuation sleep timing.
- Fixed inline drop targets so they reset correctly when there are drop
target hits left.
- Fixed blanked-out snake background. Changed cross multiball scoring.
features that highlights the lit shots for start hurry-up.

2 weeks later
#17732 3 years ago

Many owners including myself have removed the spotlights on the slings to better see the slingshot area/artwork. I went a step further and relocated the left one to the underside of the FUEL target and the right one to the underside of the scoop. I have never felt like the center of the playfield was dark on Metallica.

#17739 3 years ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

Question on Sparky Multiball: There have been times if you press both flippers at the same time, you eliminate sparky from going through his routine and shaking. Is there a reason that I can't seem to do this every time I play the game? It is pretty cool, but would rather just skip it during play.

I'm on the latest code and I have never been able to skip this. I would like to do so sometimes but it is not in the code.

1 week later
#17757 3 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

I apologize in advance if this is someones game on here. I don't mean to offend you, but why would you change your translite artwork for this? One of the best parts of a MET machine in the artwork.
[quoted image]

Yes, that is the Master of Puppets pro version.

It's got to add... um, take away at least $250 off the value.

#17775 3 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Put a color dmd (lcd) in my 2013 wood back box met pro. Love the colorized dmd. But without the red filter on there the spots and gi in the return lanes are putting a bunch of glare. Anyone else have a solution for this? I think i left a clear plastic panel on in front of the color lcd. Should i have taken that off? Suggestions?
[quoted image][quoted image]

https://www.pinballlife.com/bent-plastic.html

3 weeks later
#17833 3 years ago
Quoted from pkrobin:

I have an issue hopefully someone has seen before.
I have a number of lights out. For example the 4 F-U-E-L inserts, the 3 inserts at the electric chair, the snake insert lights. A few others.
I've tested all the fuses.
I've done my best to look through the schematics and I even tried replacing the LED board for the Fuel lights since the schematics seemed to show that as the first board of a series all of which currently do not work. I get power at that board yet no lights. So I suppose it's a data issue of some sort and I don't really know where to go with that.
Any thoughts? Much appreciated. Thanks.

I have not seen this problem but I looked over the schematics. I assume you replaced the LED board #4 with the yellow wires? Are your pop bumper lights out also? I would reseat all the cables that interconnect the four led boards. Also reseat the connectors from LED board #4 to the I/O driver board. And finally reseat connectors from the IO driver board to the CPU board.

3 weeks later
#17915 3 years ago
Quoted from MrCleanHead:

A couple quick questions for the group.
1) I just got done cleaning up Metallica and I have this black spacer left over. I remember seeing when I took it apart but forgot where it went and my before pics dont show it.
2) Where can I get the Stern replacement LED (blue), I need two of them. I know I can just get any Blue LED but I would like to have them match all the others without replacing all the others. Marco and pinball life dont show them (#112-5033-05)
3) Sparky magnet ware: I have a new magnet core and I want to stop the art for waring any further. I was thinking to just touch up the paint and use fingernail polish (clear) to protect it. I have read threads on playfiled repair and have done some many years ago but nothing this modern. It was a routed game now in home use and I dont see it getting worse. Any pointers would be great. Also its not flat enough for a cliffy ring.
4) Game Play, why does the post behind sparky pop up when shooting the right or left orbits! This drives me nuts and the only thing I dont like about the game. I got the Premium because I love shooting the spinners and orbits. What am I missing here....[quoted image]

DSCF7037 (resized).JPGDSCF7037 (resized).JPG
#17933 3 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I have this issue after cleaning and waxing the playfield. After a handful of games, it gets better for me. Not sure if you're in the same boat there or not.

Exactly. The ball is moving too fast. Just play your game and let it get a little dirty and those drops should start working perfectly.

#17942 3 years ago

Metallica is kinda basic. Iron Man is VERY basic. No way I'd part with Met for IM.

#17958 3 years ago
Quoted from Holtamania:

Hey mate, yes tried 7 different USB sticks. Ranging from 8,4,32, 2 gig.. all with the same outcome..

I believe 8 gig is the maximum size. I would try a fresh download of the file. Then do a fresh format on a usb stick. Make sure the .bin file is not in any kind of folder and it is the only thing on the usb. It also seems that some brands of usb just don't work.

#17960 3 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

has anyone replaced the Coffin lock Cube Metal yet or can you just turn it 180 degrees and use other side?

I swapped mine out for a regular captive ball as soon as I got the game.

1 week later
#17985 3 years ago

With some time and elbow grease I've made one usable again with just a metal file.

3 weeks later
#18001 3 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

I was getting some ball hangups in the orbit area behind Sparky. When I investigated, I noticed an empty hole near the pop-up post. Is that supposed to be that way? Could someone check to see what hardware should be there and on the underside? I couldn’t find it in the manual. Thanks!

Very interesting. I looked at my game and that hole is not even there.

1 week later
#18019 3 years ago

You don't see too many Road Case versions. I don't think they sold very many of them.

met premium (resized).jpgmet premium (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#18137 3 years ago

My met premium came with snake protector only. No other protection and over 2000 games and the scoop looks almost perfect.

2 weeks later
#18243 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

That rectifier isn’t stock, must be for led activated something? Have you followed the wiring?

Thank you. I looked all through the manual and couldn't find anything.

1 week later
#18271 3 years ago

Lady Liberty looks so much better than Lars giant forehead. Even Bullwinkle looks better than Lars giant forehead...

1 week later
#18282 3 years ago
Quoted from TronGuy:

Well the manual says 4Aslo blo. Tried, still blew.
I did some quick reading and read about a magnet control board? Anyway, i found it, pulled it, q2 is measuring dead/shorted. Now i need to identify it and find a replacement.
Edit : 15P10PL IS THE part#, now to find one.
edit again: I found the transistor on mouser.com. I will report back in a few days after I've replaced it.
[quoted image]

I hope that fixes it. If you run into more issues, Pinballlife has that board for 63.95

https://www.pinballlife.com/magnet-processing-board.html

#18314 3 years ago
Quoted from joeraptor2003:

Hello all
I have gotten a lot of e-mails requesting the 3D Snake mod be made again... So..we are finally making another small run if anyone is interested. THese take a great deal work to make.
You can pre order here: https://www.pingraffix.com/product-page/metallica-3d-snake-mod-for-stern-pinball
Thanks!
Joe

One of the best mods for Met available! I prefer to keep the clear plastic at the back and have the decal that goes all the way around the ramp. Looks so good.

1 week later
#18332 2 years ago
Quoted from SteelNation:

I did go into the service menu and test it with no response. The wiring looks ok too. Could it be the diode? Can they go bad?

Yes they can. Most often one lead is broken. Pull on it and see if it's loose.

#18345 2 years ago

I think that's just an optical illusion. The lead goes through the back and is soldered in place.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
6,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hoover, AL
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 29.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
Interactive
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations
Other
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
315 posts in this topic match your search for posts by lotr_breath. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lotr_breath.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread?tu=lotr_breath and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.