Topic Stats

• 16,975 posts
  • 953 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 hours ago by darkryder
  • Topic is favorited by 363 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,899 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

21605951-FC6C-4B9B-9720-ED1460A48346 (resized).jpeg
D9D40E77-D278-4838-8FF8-AB5B3F07BE52 (resized).jpeg
20191210_221341 (resized).jpg
20191210_221406 (resized).jpg
20191210_215854 (resized).jpg
B79AB09F-45D2-4E99-A0EE-A27A0139B943 (resized).jpeg
C6E859CB-68E8-45B0-9CF1-8E077B46D2D8 (resized).jpeg
72463592-DA55-4248-B3E2-4DE49A561B47 (resized).jpeg
ED8C25B9-270F-4103-9300-54B5BD3E20B2 (resized).jpeg
0F4786B6-5662-4609-8DE1-42934C8860A5 (resized).jpeg
D6016DC2-F081-4DAB-89EF-4E2EA627121B (resized).jpeg
4D4BCC10-A674-46F9-A4F5-C1C96862374F (resized).jpeg
0AF70FD9-9718-4A7B-9CA4-A221CE3FC8D7 (resized).jpeg
Capture.JPG
367860A4-9C68-4D81-BB79-1BC1FB21F38E (resized).jpeg
41F11C40-5421-4B13-A138-F7DCF0FAF3F8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kornfreak28.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8149 3 years ago

Guys,

I'm looking into buying either the pro or premium. Just want to make sure.. Does the pro have the captive ball on the hammer like the pro does? I just saw some pictures of this and wanted to make sure. I know before the premium used to have a metal plate instead of a captive ball....thanks

#8150 3 years ago

Meant to say, does the PREMIUM, have the captive ball....sorry for the typo

#8154 3 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Pro has a captive ball, premium has a metal block with the hammer physical coffin lock under the playfield.

Thanks! Its just weird that on Stern's website, the premium with the hammer has the captive ball and not a plate

#8160 3 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

The pics were probably pre-production, and the plan was probably to use the captive ball on all models. I bet they were worried that the ball wouldn't catch on the magnet after ricocheting off the captive ball, so they came up with the block in an attempt to get the ball to drop straight down.
The above info is just my guess.

Thanks! I was hoping that they had gotten tid of the plate in this year's production run

#8161 3 years ago
Quoted from tron1969:

Premium has a metal Square box, However I removed it day 1 and installed the captive ball its a simple swap and the cost is around 15 bucks.

Is it hard to do?

#8166 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Takes around 5 minutes. Easy bolt off he old, bolt on the new. I played about 10 games with the block and could already see how it gets dented up and figured that has got to be scratching up the ball and causing playfield wear. It plays great with the ball too.

Thanks!

#8169 3 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Change your captive ball to green.

That looks wayy cool! Where did you get it?

#8177 3 years ago

Guys I can anybody please tell me the following:

Why are there 2 captive balls? Really confused about that.

I need to know if the PRO has the coffin multiball? I know the premium does but does the PRO start a coffin multiball after do many hits to the captive ball?

Just trying to decide which one to get. Thanks!

#8183 3 years ago

Ok thanks guys for your answers! I guess what I really want to know is: If both have coffin multiball, then the only difference between the 2 is that on the premium you can actually see the balls being locked up in the coffin? Is that it?

#8186 3 years ago

Thanks guys! That was a big help! Now I feel more and more torn about which one to buy

#8187 3 years ago

Regarding the latest PRO version with LEDs...What about this "light show" of the Premium vs the PRO? Is that still the case now that the PRO has LEDs? Does the PRO wih LEDs have the same "light show" now that it comes with LEDs?

#8191 3 years ago

Great information guys! Thanks a lot! I wish I could play them both but there are none near me.....guess will just have to keep checking out youtube videos to help me make my decision. Thanks!

#8193 3 years ago

GREAT looking machine!!!

#8195 3 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

I was having the same issue -- Pro vs Premium/LE. I played both versions multiple times. I ultimately went Pro. I couldn't justify the extra money for the hammer, spinners, rising cross and lightshow.
The Pro plays faster (no waiting for the rising cross or hammer ball lock). I miss having spinners - Stern definitely cheaped out. The rising cross really doesn't make a difference to me.
Eventually, I'll add Time Bandit's lightshow. The lightshow on the Prem/LE is a nice feature.
I was lucky enough to live near Pinballerchef who did the spinner upgrade on his Pro. I like it and I might add it later. Like more cowbell, you can never have enough spinner - especially if they're lubed!
If you go Pro, you've got "extra" money, that would have otherwise been sunk in the Premium, for plastic protectors (Rickwh's Sparky protector), beer, money for HankScorpio's LED insert (worth the money or you can DIY), color LEDs to replace some of the white ones and a subwoofer.
You'l have fun with both. Just join the club.

Thanks a lot! Can I add the songs I want to the machine? Is that possible?

#8197 3 years ago

Are the snake body and metallica sign mods or come standard? Thanks!

image (resized).png

#8198 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

And interactive snake jaw, etc. Etc.

What is the ect ect? Thanks

#8203 3 years ago

Thanks for the comparison chart!

I was going to ask you guys about the "traditional lock-down bar" Whats the deal with that? Honestly I don't even know what the difference is between a traditional VS latching one? All I know is, I put the lock down bar in position and lock it.

I have TAF, Star Wars DE, Getaway and Diner...any of these have the traditional? Thanks!

#8206 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

All Stern pros now come with a newer type of lockdown bar which is secured via two latches inside the cabinet. It takes a little more effort to lock and unlock, but I've actually grown to prefer it. It seems to lock more tightly than the traditional ones.
As for whether to go with the pro or the premium, it's a very tough call. Unlike a lot of other Stern titles, there are plenty of arguments for both versions. I ultimately went with the pro. I felt it offered a better bang for the buck. If money wasn't an object, I may have gone with the premium, but I'm still not a huge fan of the hammer. Either way, they are both awesome games. You really should spend some serious time playing both and decide for yourself if you think the added features on the premium are worth it to you.

Thanks a lot!

#8207 3 years ago

Does the PRO come with the lighting effects on the speakers?

#8209 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Neither version comes with speaker lighting. It is an aftermarket mod.

Ty!

#8231 3 years ago

What about the songs? Can I upload any songs I want?

#8232 3 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I owned the LE for two years and I've owned the Pro for 15 months, so I think my opinion has some weight regarding the hammer:
I didn't dislike the hammer when I owned the LE, but I don't miss it. I don't miss the up/down cross or the snake jaw, either. What held me back from selling to get the pro was the spinners and color-changing spider inserts. I finally decided they weren't worth the $2500 difference (sold LE for $7500 and bought the pro for $5000)

Nice review

#8233 3 years ago
Quoted from RickAHG:

This pin has a lot of mods, the snake body is a kit that comes with the plastic plate behind the snake head and the snake body ramp sticker. The sign is also a mod. This pin has a ton of LED upgrades to both the field and under the field. The box is also upgraded to color LED's making the Metallica logo change colors.
One of the reasons I went with the pro was the side art and the glass, I've played all three styles and the hammer was not a huge loss for me. You should play both the pro and premium before pulling the trigger.
Pictured is the Pro, Master of puppets, and Premium.

Thanks! Wish I could play them, but there are none near me. Are there CPU versions?

#8236 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

You can swap out any song you want using Pinball Browser ....
http://tiny.cc/pinballbrowser

This just convinced me to buy Metallica! Thanks!!

#8237 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

brian,
you should have sent him the thread link as well. there is a wealth of knowledge contained within
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images

Thank you!

#8242 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

But the new songs have to be the EXACT length as the songs your taking out.

There is the catch...

#8243 3 years ago

Can anybody tell me what is the big deal with the spinners? Is it that big of an issue for PRO owners?

#8244 3 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I owned the LE for two years and I've owned the Pro for 15 months, so I think my opinion has some weight regarding the hammer:
I didn't dislike the hammer when I owned the LE, but I don't miss it. I don't miss the up/down cross or the snake jaw, either. What held me back from selling to get the pro was the spinners and color-changing spider inserts. I finally decided they weren't worth the $2500 difference (sold LE for $7500 and bought the pro for $5000)

What is your opinion on spinners vs no spinners?

#8246 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

It's not a "big" deal. It's just a moderate deal. Who doesn't love a spinner? And it always seemed such a cheap way to gimp a pro. Sure, take out the moving cross, snake jaw, hammer and light show, but come on..spinners?

True. But what about as far as game play? Do they make that much of a difference in points or awards or something?

#8248 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I really like that the spinners trigger a varying tom tom drum beat sound for each switch contact while they're spinning.

Wow! That sound nice!!!

#8250 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Youve got a ton of questions and answers, I have a feeling you are going to feel like you made a mistake if you go with the Pro. not that its not a great game, I mean, its Metallica!!! I just feel you are always going to have that thinking in the back of your head, did I make a mistake.
If you can afford it, do it.

That's what I'm afraid of....its just a very difficult decision...i got the money for the premium but a lot of people say its not worth the extra 2K...just a bit confused. I wish I could play them in the computer or something....to get a feel for both of them. Thanks

#8252 3 years ago

Post some pics!!

#8260 3 years ago

Thank you guys for all the answers! I guess, I will have to apply the old saying "what yoi don't know doesn't hurt you" (or something like that). I have never played Pro or Premium, And its unlikely I ever will unless I buy one. If I just get the PRO, it will never hurt to not have spinners, light show, ect, ect because I will probably never get to play a premium. Some of you guys are so lucky to have somewhere near to go test them and compare. I don't

That being said, I may just opt to get the PRO, and use the extra 2K towards my upcoming TAF restoration by Bryan Kelly

I have been asking you guys lots of questions and its pretty much 50-50 in responses...some say PRO and some say Premium. I thank you all very much, and look forward getting my Metallica very soon....any particular retailer you guys recommend? Thanks!

#8269 3 years ago

This TimeBandit light show mod, is that pretty much replacing bulbs to get the light show? Or what is it exactly?

#8280 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Don't spend this amount of money based on others feedback. That's the worst pinball buying decisions I ever made was buying what everyone else thought was cool and not what I thought was cool. Lived and learned and will never do that again (not this game) Everything is personal preference and opinions are skewed towards ones liking. Just because ___ like something doesn't mean you will. Wait till you can play the games and then go from there. There are tons of MET's out there that I'm sure people would let you try out. Worst case, if you come to Austin you can play mine.
I'm not going to argue the differences of pro vs prem as it's been done 100s of times in this very thread.

Very nice of you sir! Thanks a lot!

#8284 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

It's an intercept board that watches the switch and lamp matrix data to know what the game is doing, and then has logic to recreate the Premium/LE GI lightshow. The kit comes with new GI strings to add the red and blue bulbs that the Premium/GI has.

Thanks for the explanation

#8308 3 years ago

Where did you guys buy your machines? Looking on ebay, but I just wanted to know if there is a particular place you all recommend

#8313 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Game exchange, tilt, or automated are 3 that come to mind. They all are going to be pretty much the same price. Which is much lower than the prices you're seeing on EBay

Thanks a lot

#8319 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Can't stress enough. Do not buy off E-bay. Call any of the main distributors. They will give you a much better price as well as much better service. If you were looking at e-bay for pricing then you have a lot more budget than you originally thought. You could get a prem for not much more than a couple hundred over the e-bay pro prices

Really? Wow!!! Thing is, I already went to tilt, and exchange websites and they have the same prices as ebay. You are saying if I call they give me a better price?

#8320 3 years ago

Please tell me who....so I can call and get me a premium

#8321 3 years ago

Right now ebay and others have the PRO led for 5,495 and the premium for 7,095....

How much would a premium cost me at these other places?

#8340 3 years ago

What are these spots on the PRO coffin? Locked balls?

image (resized).png

#8342 3 years ago
Quoted from HankScorpio:

Yeah, those indicate the number of locked balls you have.

Thanks! Will your mod fit the newest Led Pro's and Premiums?

#8345 3 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Call Cointaker, Automated, Game Exchange, Tilt Amusements, etc. There is a minimum advertised price they have to follow, but call and speak to a sales person for a better deal. All of them should be pretty close (within $100 of each other), main difference will be who has what you want in stock.

Thank you sir!

#8355 3 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

So in addition to a relatively new SMVE with >20 ghosting inserts and clear coat issues (discovered tonight). I found this on my less than 1 month old MET Pro.
Playfield was manufactured in June 2016.
Contact started with Stern & Vendor with the MET Pro. Ongoing discussion with SMVE.

Damn!!! Just one month and issues already? Is this happening to anyone else out there?

#8361 3 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

You might want to consider holding off for a while or buying used so that you can inspect it first.

Can you tell me exactly where this damage is? The pic is upclose and cannot tell where it is on the PF. I'm going to ask the distribuitor to unbox it and inspect that area before buying. Thanks

#8365 3 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

The ball return at the bottom of the playfield under the apron, behind the flippers.
At this point I'd recommend NOT buying new. I'm a two-time loser with ghosting, clear coat, and ramp lifting issues on a 4 month old SMVE and a clear coat issue starting on a 3 week old MET pro.
Find a HOU machine you can take a look at. It's worth it even if you have to drive to San Antonio (2.5 hours) or Austin (4 hours). I spent most of my life in Texas (Austin, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio) and I know the drives are long and boring. The gas money and time is worth foregoing the frustration and heartbreak of buying NIB.

Thanks so much! Great advise! What about this thread I read from 7 months ago, that supposedly Met playfields were made by 2 different companies and supposedly one of those companies produced some of these PFs with insert and damage issues? Supposedly you can tell by the shooter lane which company produced your PF?

#8367 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

I have a Met Pro made in 4/16 with zero issues, you'll be good if you buy one and put Mylar/cliffys down in the common wear spots

Thanks! Now, I'm really doubting making this purchase, and I love Metallica

#8369 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Why?? You should do this with every NIB made by every company

Well look at zene10 PF. It was manufactured in June 2016 and it has some issues already...

#8370 3 years ago

I do intend to wax it but not sure why he is having this issues...

#8372 3 years ago

Tdiddy is also having the same issue

#8373 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

That would have been prevented had he put a little Mylar down there

Yes I understand, its just that the machine is just 2 months old...

I have 4 pins from 1992 with no mylar on the outhole with no issues. Thats why I'm doubting the purchase a bit. Just the fact that its only 2 months old with issues already

#8378 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Find an HUO that you can inspect, like I said I just bought a NIB with zero issues, I did research and put down all the proper protection before ball 1. On a forum like this you're only going to hear the bad, I've yet to see a "My new Stern is perfect" thread, but the overwhelming majority are extremely happy.

Very true, thanks for the advice!

#8387 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I'd start one about my Mustang Pro, it's still perfect after about a year and a half but that would only piss people off.

Have you had any issues with your MET pro?

#8395 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

It's an original first run, I'm the second owner and no problems at all.

Nice!

#8399 3 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

I had issues with my pro around sparky magnet, and Stern told my distributor that it looked normal wear that there game was falling apart. HUO and wear from a time when it became known that they had issues. I've been trying to protect it with Cliffys and Mylar. If it continues I guess I'll just have to get a new playfield. Good luck to everyone some made the same time as me got playfield swaps, and I got a big f@"k off. If my GB has issues I will probably never buy a Stern again.

When did you buy it?

#8417 3 years ago

Glad I found out (thanks to you guys) about this before I pulled the trigger on MET. A little sad actually

#8420 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Get your met. I love mine!

I'm scared to get it and have issues....I can just imagine having to pull the playfield out and make all kinds of calls

The main reason why I want Metallica is because I love the band and because it will be NIB and Was under the impression tha I was not going to have any issues for a long time (since it would be a NIB machine) but after reading the unfortunate troubles fellow pinsiders are going through after a couple of months, I just don't want to risk it. My wife would absolutely cut me to little pieces if she finds out I spent 6,600 on a Premium and I'm having playfield issues after a month or two. Really confused honestly...

#8424 3 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Buy a HUO from an early 2013 run. They are out there. That way you can inspect it and know about any issues with it before you buy it. That's the best advice unless you absolutely have to have NIB. NIB does not mean issue free. Buying one that is HUO can be great because many times the issues/bugs are already fixed and you can get a better deal. There have been several for sale recently with mods at good prices.....

Great advice!

1 month later
#8641 3 years ago

Guys,

I wanted to join the club a couple of months ago but decided not to because of all the ghosting inserts and playfield damage happening to NIB Metallica's.

Do you all know if Stern fixed those issues already with NIB machines? I really want to buy one. Thanks!

#8646 3 years ago
Quoted from Krakatoa:

For what it's worth I have a Met Pro with a 06/02/16 playfield date stamp and the game is perfect. About 150 games on it and the clear still looks beautiful - no ghosting and no cracking in the clear or any other damage.

Thanks! Hope it stays that way

#8649 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

From what I've read here on Pinside, I don't think MET is one of the games that was majorly affected by the playfield issues. There may be a few isolated cases out there, but I don't think it's anything like we've seen on games like GB or SMVE.

Awesome! Thanks! I hope they are still making NIB. I might go for it

2 months later
#9067 2 years ago

Hello!

I've been interested in buying Metallica for a while now but have been hesitant to do so due to the ghosting, clearcoat and general playfield issues I've been reading about for so long. Are the new Metallicas coming with a good playfield now? Should I take the plunge and buy one? I know Stern offers to swap your PF but I honestly don't want to go through all that hassle, specially on a brand new machine.

Any advise is much appreciated. Thanks!

#9069 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I received a pro drop shipped from stern about a month ago. Other than a loose snake switch, I have no issues to report.

Glad to hear that

#9073 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I don't think METs were ever really a problem, but even if they were, Stern seems to have finally gotten a handle on it. I have a GB premium that was built in October, and there is no ghosting at all.

When you say they "finally gotten a handle on it" You mean the playfields are being made by a different company? What has Stern changed or improved on with Metallicas lately?

#9074 2 years ago

Anyone?

#9079 2 years ago
Quoted from pinhi:

Bought my nib pro in May 2015 - zero issues. Friend just received his nib pro this week - again zero issues.
I'd highly recommend that you take the plunge and buy one!

Thank you! This really helps a lot!

#9080 2 years ago

What are the must have mods for Metallica? Specially for protection like cliffy's and plastic shields...

Also, what about this magnet mushrooming issue I've read about? Is that still going on with new MET's? Thanks!

#9084 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

If you play the game, you are going to get some wear and tear. Don't worry about it. These things are designed for commercial use after all.

I don't mind that at all. I just don't want to buy a NIB machine that's going to start ghosting from the get go. That's all. First time buying a Stern pin for me...

#9086 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Nothing is guaranteed at this point, however I have seen very few reports of Met playfields ghosting in comparison to GB and SMVE. My Met with a late Nov. 2016 build date has not shown any ghosting but I can only speak for this one machine.

Thank you very much!

#9088 2 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Why not find a nice used one then that you can inspect prior to purchasing? That would be my recommendation if you don't feel like playing the Stern NIB lottery.

I just wanted a NIB pin but you are correct, HUO does sound like a good idea

#9096 2 years ago
Quoted from pinhi:

The magnet is relatively soft. With enough plays over time, the pinballs dent the magnet. If left too long, the magnet will spread. Simple fix is to buy a new core (for $12) and swap it out. Pinball life carries them.

Good to hear that. Thanks!

1 week later
#9140 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I bought a met pro in December with a November 2, 2016 date stamp on the playfield that shipped directly from Stern, I have no issues with the playfield. Normal dimpling and no chipping or ghosting issues. In fact, of all the NIB games I've bought, this one required the least amount of adjusting and was almost perfect out of the box. Only thing I had to do was tighten the switch for the snake as it was registering only sporadically.

So glad to hear that! Does your playfield have the Churchill stamp on it? Just wondering since there is talk of Churchill doing Stern Playfields now....Thanks!

#9142 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

i don't see any stamp indicating who manufactured the playfield.

Thank you and again, congrats on getting a nice playfield!

***sucks that we get all excited when someone gets a good playfield on a NIB machine isn't? That should be the norm for a NIB game....Hopefully all these issues get resolved soon***

#9147 2 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

You do notice the clear lifting by the ball return right?

Oh boy!

IMG_7711 (resized).PNG

#9152 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Guys, chill out, the clear is not lifting, it's a slight discoloration in the wood. Man, people trying to find fire where there's no smoke. I also looked very closely at every single insert, all perfect.
This is lifting...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/183#post-3555549

Soo glad to hear that lermods! We are a bit paranoid around here aren't we?

#9170 2 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

Here's my solution for the Pingraffix Snake obstructing the rollover target lights. Dirty Donny lit guitar picks.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-rollover-lane-lights-mod-or-pingraffix-snake-mod-mod#post-3562387

That's a cool mod!!!

#9194 2 years ago
Quoted from dug:

Yes.... It's basically the TZ gumball edge protector. Tell Cliff you want a Stern ball drain hole protector.
Works great, I just installed one on a Met.

Can you post a pic please? Thanks!

#9202 2 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I re-routed the wiring. Looks much cleaner.
The Snake Mod²

How are they lighted? Awesome mod!

#9204 2 years ago

I just sent payment for a PRO! Will finally become a member very soon

Can you guys please tell me the must have mods (specially to protect the playfield) I must get before I play the first game? Thanks!

#9206 2 years ago

Fully cliffy set including shooter lane protectors, mystery hole protector, and carbon fiber magnet protectors.

Any particular vendor you recommend?

#9210 2 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

My Leg Light-Ups are cool. I don't have a picture of purple on MET sorry.

They are VERY cool indeed! I'll PM you when I get Met

#9212 2 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

OK, if you don't want purple I have other colors too.

$?

#9215 2 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

$85 delivered. Lots more details and I don't want to plug up the thread so PM me.

K

#9216 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I perfer mylar around the sparky magnet as the cliffy makes ball jump some and definitely effects the ball movement. Also nothing is needed for the graveyard magnet imo as its rarely used and definitely dont have much action. Definitely 2 get ball drop slit protectors and shooter lane ones.... also the tz gumball protector for the drain area as it gets alot of fast drains from the sparky magnet. My favorite mods for met pro are total light show, color dmd, powered subwoofer, shaker, pdi glass. Extended sparky plastic. There are many others i have but they are the big ones imo.

So mylar for magnets better than cliffy's?

What's the deal with the extended sparky shield? Do you get lots of airballs there?

#9221 2 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Mylar on sparky magnet for sure. No Clift.

I will do as advised. Actively looking for extended sparky plastic now

Will install cliffy's as well. I hope installation is not too difficult that it ruins my First NIB experience....

#9242 2 years ago

Where can i find this snake mod? Thanks!

IMG_8071 (resized).PNG

#9248 2 years ago
Quoted from sparechange1974:

I highly recomend Cliffy's for
1 Ball Through
2 Shooter Lane kit
3 Myster Scopp
I prefer the cut it your self static cling vinyl for sparky and hammer magnet. It can be removed at anytime with no downside. If you do choose to do the Cliffy for the magnet, make sure its level. This is a good idea no matter what you do there, and replace or recheck once your magnet turns into a mushroom as they all do over time. Magnets that aren't level, wreck playfield, games that don't have Cliffy's will chip in shooter lane/ball through and have beat in wood around mystery scoop. This includes HUO, just the way things are.

How about the cliffy aroud the snake and captive ball? Is that one really "necessary"? Who sells it?

Thanks!

#9251 2 years ago

My bad...just snake cliffy

IMG_8080 (resized).PNG

#9254 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

It's not a cliffy, it comes that way from stern.

Oh ok, I did not know that. Thank you very much!

#9255 2 years ago

Can anybody please tell me the metal post part number (or name) that goes around the loop? I'm ordering everything I need before Metallica arrives. I would like to order this part now. Thanks!

#9257 2 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Post that goes around what loop?

Yeah, I read somewhere that the stock plastic post must be replaced with a metal one because the stock plastic does not let the ball go to the pop bumper area?

#9261 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Best $7.00 change you can make to the game. Made a huge difference.

Not really too sure what it does but I will change it as per very positive comments on it

#9266 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Many shots up the left orbit hot the plastic post and bounce back down the left orbit, rather than falling down into the pops. The metal post almost eliminates that.

Quoted from Rickwh:

Gotcha. I wasnt following you. Others have given you the link you need. Awesome!

Yes, Thanks Rick

#9273 2 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Play the game the way it comes from the factory for a while so you can see how it affects game play THEN change it over and play it to see how it helps.

Hey! Not a bad idea

#9283 2 years ago

Who sells these speaker inserts? Thanks!

IMG_8127 (resized).JPG

#9363 2 years ago

I have them in my Pro. You have to drill your own holes as Stern stopped doing this a while ago on the Pros. The supports will come with instructions. It's a pretty easy process.

Where exactly are the holes drilled tho? the apron area? Thanks!

#9374 2 years ago

Yes they are drilled under the apron. No worries if you screw up, but it was so easy I don't see how you could screw up. I was a little apprehensive since I have never drilled into a playfield before let alone a brand new game but it was easy and painless.

Thank you very much!

What is the difference between mylar and cling?

#9378 2 years ago
Quoted from tron1969:

Mylar has some sort of glue on it and sticks more permanatly to the playfield, the cling is removable in replaceable when they show ware and leaves no residue.

Thanks! Tough choice between Mylar and cling....

BTW, my Metallica PRO just shipped today!!!! Can't wait

IMG_8376 (resized).PNG

#9405 2 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

Just got my 10 dollar piston key chain chain mod installed .i think im gonna like it this game is the boom

Where did you buy it? Looks awesome!

#9419 2 years ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

ColorDMD installed this morning!!!!

Did you have to buy a clear lense?

I've heard Metallica's lense in red and must be changed to clear? Thanks!

#9421 2 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Games with a metal speaker panel (Premium/Pro LED) need the clear shield to replace the red one that ships with the game.
Earlier run games (with wood speaker panels) shipped with a clear shield and do not need to be replaced.

Thank you for your answer. I will buy a color dmd very soon for my Metallica Pro making its way home. 2 questions:

Where do I buy this clear lense? How much?

What's preferred for Metallica, LED or LCD?

#9437 2 years ago

Where do you guys buy your Mylar rolls from? I would like to mylar the sparky area. Thanks!

#9454 2 years ago

Pinball life sells Mylar circles for the magnet cores. i just bought some

#9472 2 years ago

My Metallica PRO was supposed to be delivered today.....lost by Fedex

#9474 2 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

LOST!? That's astounding. Also astounding it's not the first time I've heard of this.

Yeah...The lady said "We'll call you when we find it"

Talk about ruining my day....

#9481 2 years ago

Thanks for the kind words guys! How they can "lose" a 300-350lb package is unbelievable! The good thing is that Chris at Cointaker is my distro and he is aware of the situation. I truly believe someone stole it....

#9482 2 years ago

I feel worse than when I was told Santa doesn't exist....

#9485 2 years ago

LOOOOOLLLLL!!!!

Thanks for the laugh guys!!!! Feel a bit better

#9488 2 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hey man I'm really sorry to hear that. Keep us informed.

Thanks! Sure will!

#9491 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Don't worry. You will have to wait longer but you will get it. I would keep calling them about it, though. Let them know the cost of the item, size, and all that.

Thanks! I will do just that!

#9494 2 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Hey Kornfreak..shitty about your pin! But I stayed home from work to play Metallica(for u!) & thought of another mod you are gonna wanna do!! Haha..but, change the songs! I realize I cant stand enter sandman and about 5 others if I want to keep er for a while! Anyone have new song list suggestions they've made fit?! I know they need to be same length & some need to stay on there..just think a change is needed!

If I ever get my Metallica....I would LOVE to add The Shortest Straw......

#9496 2 years ago

Leper Messiah would be a sweet one too, but I'll probably not mod the game's songs.

Another song that I think would really compliment the game is...Pulling Teeth (Anesthesia)

#9498 2 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Shortest Straw fits perfectly in the Unforgiven slot.

That's sooo cool! Hopefully when (if) I get my machine delivered I can add Shortest Straw to it...hope it's not too difficult

#9499 2 years ago

Does color DMD support the name change of the songs on the display?

#9504 2 years ago

Found and delivered today!!!

IMG_8873 (resized).PNG

#9509 2 years ago

Glad yours was found! I just got these pics from Pinball Refinery, mine ships Monday! Funny I just came to post and you posted at almost the same time, that's excellent news.
Below are two of the pics I was sent. I'll be doing just a few more mods myself when it arrives. I have the snake ramp decal and 3D snake here, the skull insert for inside the coffin, the metal post for the orbit, and a topper I'll put on. Also he's sending along the Creeping Death speaker panel later, I guess the first one the guy sent him was cut wrong. But besides that, crazy stoked.

Thank you! That machine looks sick!!!!

I'm still at work so I haven't opened it yet.

Guys: Do I wax the playfield before playing the first game? Thanks!!!

#9520 2 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Thats what i do with my 2 nib sterns. Older TFLE the previous owner waxed and ive waxed it a time or two. The waxed playfield doesnt have the glossy shine like the other two...

I thought waxing it fresh out of the box would give it some extra protection.....

#9523 2 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That's a load off your mind I'll bet. Now you have a big box and a new pin to play with.

And lots of mods to buy!

#9529 2 years ago

Damn! Just unboxed it right now, issues already. One of the holes to secure the top box doesn't line up

Is it me or this machine came with NO yellow handle to release the lockdown bar?

IMG_8893 (resized).JPG

IMG_8894 (resized).JPG

IMG_8892 (resized).PNG

IMG_8895 (resized).JPG

IMG_8896 (resized).JPG

#9532 2 years ago

Great! Let me try it right now...Also, this was disconnected???

IMG_8897 (resized).JPG

#9536 2 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

That connector on the door is just for the dollar bill mechanism(which isn't standard). And as far as the back bolts not lining up... make sure you're not pinching something between the head and body. I've had that happen before and it's usually a pinched ground.

Yeah not pinching anything...but Thanks!

I just got back from dinner...So....Can I turn in ON now? Do I have to download anything before playing it? Thanks guys!!!

#9541 2 years ago

Looooollllll!!!!

#9543 2 years ago

I was a bit hesitant to play it without cliffy's intalled. Still waiting for them to arrive. But I guess I can't contain myself anymore! F-it...I'm playing!!!!

#9544 2 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I got a question...is it wrong to play a few games with the tilt bob taken off?! Only after a 100 games or so?! Hahah..cause it sure was fun!

I'm not going to install it either...

#9545 2 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

We were all new at some point. Just put the legs on, stand up the head and secure, put the balls in, install the tilt bob, cut the securing wire tie off of Sparky(if there is one) and turn it on and see what happens.

Why must I install the tilt bob? I really don't want any tilt warnings...

#9548 2 years ago

Thanks guys!

#9550 2 years ago

What about the loud hummm noise I get from the right flipper? That is sooo odd! The left also gives the hummm sound but it's a lot less than the right flipper...

#9553 2 years ago

Lol! Damn! Gotta open the hood on this baby already! I'll tighten the coils as advised. Thanks guys!

#9556 2 years ago

Good advise! Thanks!

#9558 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Stern flippers use pulsing to control the power (vs the dual wound coils B/W used). It's normal.. some are louder than others and the coil/plunger interface can make it worse, but you'll never eliminate it fully.

Thank you flynnibus, I appreciate that!

#9568 2 years ago

How is the cliffy installed in the outhole? Double sided tape?

I ask because my cliffys are on their way but I wanted to put some mylar down now so I can play with a little more piece of mind and then add the cliffy.

Will a Cliffy on top of mylar be too much for the ball to drain normally? Should I just wait for the cliffy? Thanks!

#9569 2 years ago

Also trying to install the support brackets. The instructions tell you to drill the holes but it doesn't say exactly where! There are no markings under the apron. Can anybody provide me the exact location where the holes are supposed to be drilled? Thanks!

IMG_8921 (resized).JPG

#9575 2 years ago

Anybody have a clue how to make the playfield sit on the lockdown receiver?

I already moved the cables around back there and nothing. So disappointed with the quality of this machine. Seems like it was assembled in China or something...

IMG_8924 (resized).JPG

#9580 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

It doesn't always just drop right into place. Mine is a little tight. You have to push and wiggle it into place.

Really? Unreal....I just can't get it to fall in there. Right side does go in but not the left.

Sorry for all the questions...trying to set everything up. Can anybody answer the mylar question up top?

Also, trying to install the speaker lights and the instructions do not say If Metallica is supported and what system it belongs to...

IMG_8925 (resized).JPG

#9588 2 years ago

Thanks guys! Let me check the levels and make sure. I'm so worried! Need to go to bed and this playfield won't sit properly

#9589 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I did awnser the mylar question...

Yes thank you!

#9593 2 years ago

KORNFREAK PLAY A GAME TOMORROW MORNING NO EXCUSES DAMMIT

If I can get the playfield to sit on the lockdown receiver I might! Already leveled the legs, helped a bit but not quite. Should I file the openings on the receiver?

#9596 2 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

As long as it fits, it's all good. I don't bother with the rails any more because their too costly to bring into Canada.
Rob

Thanks for your help. I did level the legs (didn't need much) and it helped a bit. Not quite there yet tho. I hope I can Find a way tomorrow with fresh brains...

#9601 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I had to push/pull a little on the rails underneath to get those both in the slots for about the first week. Then they just started lining up.

I sure hope so! At work at the moment, First Stern purchase here...and a little shocked to say the least

#9602 2 years ago

If anybody else has any other suggestions please feel free

J_M: Thanks for that link!

#9604 2 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I just want to say from the bottom of Kornfreak's heart...u guys are frikkin awesome help in this thread! Serious, nice to see good peeps helping out with any problem that's someone has! And it helps that you guys know your shit too! Haha..Cheers

+ 1 ^^^ Thank you Dee-Bow!

Hopefully I can figure out a way today...

#9608 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Where do you live? I want to come over there and drop that damn playfield into the slots for you!!! Than play a game before you

LOL Thanks for the laugh man!

#9610 2 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

there are a set of small metal clips screwed into the sides of the cabinet that help align the playfield (left-to-right) when you lower it back down to help keep the playfield centered, but that's not your problem
what you can do is this:
once you've lowered the playfield, attempt the following to correct your problem:
- loosen the playfield hanger just enough (see image below) (only do one at a time) so that it's loose enough that you can adjust its position and the tab fits into the receiver. re-tighten the bolts and repeat for the other hanger

it's possible that cabinet or the playfield was "tweaked" enough during shipping that those hangers don't line up when the playfield is returned to playing position. (on mine, they've always been close, but still require a bit of a [push] with my fingers to align them just a bit and drop into the receiver slots

Great suggestion J_M! I already tried doing that but had the playfield on it's supports. I only removed the left hook. The problem is that those screws go into a T-nut and there isn't much wiggle room to move the hook back. I will try your suggestion today. Thanks for the help!

#9614 2 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

sparky makes a very valid point
you almost have to have the playfield completely lowered and then push those 2 harness bundles back a bit with the playfield backboard before lowering it completely and locking the hanger tabs in place.
30 years of manufacturing pinball machines and stern still doesn't seem to have ironed out all of the kinks in their products. there so many tiny design changes could still be made resulting in a much better product (with that @#$% "hump" being no. 1 on the list)

Sparky and J_M: Another great suggestion but I already tried that, hell I even removed both loops that hold the cables from both sides. There is only so much those bundle of cables can be pushed to the sides. I will try again today, lowering the head and moving the cables from inside and working the playfield at the same time. Hopefully that does the trick....Thanks so much for trying to help guys!

#9615 2 years ago

Do you guys think the playfield might be warped or something?

#9618 2 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

No. It's just tight. This comes up with a lot of new Stern owners.

Well, that's a good thing!

#9619 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

The playfield came to you down and secure so it should be able to go back in. Honestly, what others have said is very accurate. Check the cables in the back carefully and make sure nothing is bunched up. This could also be the issue with your head not aligning. I would lift the playfield all the way and inspect the rails they slide on, make sure nothing is getting stuck in there, particularly in the back. Playfields can be stiff and sometimes you just need a little force to push them back and then down.

Wires are not pinched...I already made certain. I will however, check under the playfield as you suggest. I will do this after work today and report back. Thanks!!

#9623 2 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I would like to point out, don't be too gentle! You need to have the apron on it. Just hold the center of the apron and don't be scared to give it a firm shove to get it seated.

I did give it a very firm push several times....Will push it harder...I'll try anything at this point

#9624 2 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Did you install the support brackets on a pro? Maybe they are hitting something inside the cab?

No sir, I haven't installed those yet....

#9626 2 years ago
Quoted from Thanos75:

Man....this has me kind of freaking out...lol...and I put out industrial fires for a living. I just ordered mine today and it will be here Friday.I have a feeling I will be referring to these posts often. Thank you Korn for asking some of the questions I'm sure I would be asking. And thanks in advance to the rest of your who I'm sure will be helping me aswell. Did I mention that this will be my first pin ever? Fingers crossed.

Congrats on your first pin! Let us know how it goes....

#9629 2 years ago
Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

This is what I do. Except I hold the posts/support rails and shove the playfield in and drop on lock down receiver.
Not sure if its been posted or not but watch this vid Korn and see if it helps.
https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=zbPfhWfuLlY

Thank you!!!!

#9632 2 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

Can't you simply remove the hanger bracket and slot out the two holes in it a little bit to give you some "adjustment" space?

I guess I could, but I really would like to leave that as a last resort. Thanks

#9633 2 years ago

I spoke to Chris @ Cointaker and he offered full support and promised to get this resolved one way or another. A bit a good news for me.....

#9635 2 years ago

Still at work so I will update with results as soon as I get home....

#9638 2 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Kornfreak...you're Killin me man!! hahaha

That's funny Dee-Bow!!!!

#9639 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Are you grabbing the back of the playfield with your dominate hand and holding the playfield underneath to maneuver it into position while using your non dominant hand at the front of the playfield under the apron?

I don't recall if I did that but I will try it as soon as I get home....working overtime to recoup some money I spent on Metallica

#9645 2 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

there's no reason to modify the receiver. you want the playfield to fit tightly in place
plain and simple, the playfield was locked in place upon arrival, so there's no reason why it can't go back to a locked position. a simple adjustment of the playfield (either forward or backwards) and a bit of downward force might be required, but it will go back into the slots

Read this:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/met-playfield-twisted

#9647 2 years ago

Ok so last night I was able to FORCE the playfield down into the lockdown receiver. It took a lot of effort, a lot of force and a lot of banging the playfield to get it to sit on the receiver. The right hook seems to go a little easier than the left for some reason This, of course, is NOT normal.

Then I decided to lift the playfield and test it once more. The playfield was (as expected) extremely difficult to lift out of the lockdown receiver because it had been forced down into the lockdown receiver.

When I finally got it off the receiver, the Playfield "popped" out (imagine removing your boots with the laces still firmly tied) that is what it felt like when the playfield popped out of the lockdown receiver. I then forced the playfield into the receiver again and went to bed.

Here are my questions to you guys:

Is this pretty normal for Stern games?

Do you guys also have to force the playfield down into the receiver?

Will me forcing the playfield down affect game play or worse, F-UP the cabinet or the playfield by warping it or something?

Thank you very much for your help!

#9650 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

No, this is not normal. You sometimes have to fidget with it a bit to get it to go all the way down, but you shouldn't have to literally pound it into place. Have you tried adjusting your leg levelers?

yeah, that helped some...it was way worse before I adjusted the legs

#9651 2 years ago

Basically I have tried all the suggestions (thank you) and I still have the same problem. What should I do next? So confused and so disappointed right now.....

#9653 2 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

who did you purchase this from? (which distributor?
I would get on the phone with them (facetime if you can) and attempt to get it straightened out asap

CT...They are aware and have offered their full support if this is not fixed. I just don't know what options I would have. I would hope for Stern to replace my machine and not just the playfield but don't know how realistic that would be

#9656 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

On some games you have to pull the playfield towards you to get it to lay right. Did you try this?

Yes sir. I have tried everything....

#9657 2 years ago
Quoted from Enaud:

I serviced a WPT about a year ago. It had problems with the playfield sitting in the cabinet straight. The support rails were not installed correctly. So, it might be worth a check on that. You'd have to remove the playfield and examine the rails. If you can get the distributor to take the machine back, I think that would be your best bet. I think you have a defective unit.

I think so too. Thanks!

#9659 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Did you try yelling & throwing shit across the room? This is what I do when I get frustrated. It does not help, but it makes me feel good.
Best of luck

No, but my wife did that for me when she found out I spent 5K on a defective machine

#9662 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

If it makes you feel any better, a lot of wives would act that way even if you spent $5K on a perfectly working machine ...

True but it does not make me feel better

#9663 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Where are ya located? Maybe someone is local to give a second set of eyes.

Nobody close to me with pinball machines unfortunately....Thanks

#9665 2 years ago
Quoted from Humph:

Sorry to hear about your issue there, Korn.
My MET Premium playfield was a little difficult to settle into the guides when I first lifted it out, but nothing like what your experiencing.
Sounds like a major warping of the cabinet or misalignment/mislocating of rail supports/guides has occurred.
My other Sterns are not like you have described.

Thanks for your support man! Enjoy your Met!

#9670 2 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Pinside map shows 4 or 5 Pinsiders in your area. If there's 4 or 5 on Pinside, there are probably even more in your area who are not on Pinside.

Thanks! I'll check that out!

Well I got a tip from pinsider tomh....there's this useless bracket here on both sides that might be causing this issue. Will remove and report back. Keeping fingers crossed.....What is that for anyway?

IMG_8954 (resized).PNG

#9674 2 years ago

Looks like tomh hit it right on the nail!!!! Now the playfield sits with very little effort!!! I'll keep testing it just to make sure but it looks like this resolves the issue! Hope The playfield didn't get damaged when I was having a hard time with it!

IMG_8955 (resized).JPG

#9675 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

it centers the playfield when its going down....

I honestly think they are useless. As long as the hooks sit on the slots the PF should be centered no?

#9681 2 years ago

BigD, MustangPaul and TomH...Thanks for the kind words and TomH thanks sooo much for your tip man! I will keep testing some more but it looks like this is it man!

Thanos: I have played 3 games only. I'm wating for the cliffys. I do not want to play it until I install them cliffy protectors. They are on their way.

#9682 2 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Glad to hear you got it fixed and thanks to tomh for the suggestion. Now korn make sure you tell CT what the fix was.

I'll let my buddy Chris @ CT know first thing in the morning! Hope I didn't ruin his Valentine's dinner with my issues

#9684 2 years ago

Thank you to everybody who helped me with this issue!

Can anybody tell me is Metallica is SAM or SPIKE?

#9685 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

U will be fine.i played 100 games before my cliffys arrived and game still looked new.

When was yours built?

#9690 2 years ago

Hoaky and Time Bandit: You are correct I will play some Metallica tomorrow for sure! I just wanted to fully protect the darn thing before going full blast on it....Thanks!

#9691 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

All MET's are SAM.

Thanks!

#9697 2 years ago

The location of the power switch in the backbox also gives Spike away without having to remove anything. Personally I like the SAM system and am glad Met is on it instead of Spike.
Korn - Regarding those centering brackets that you removed, I have never removed them but I'm glad it solved your issue. Get to playing! Don't wait for the cliffy's, you can still knock out a few hundred games without much worry. Make sure you read the cliffy instructions and follow them, especially for the shooter lane protectors if you got those. Your next post better be a picture of a high score you posted

You know how with Williams games the playfield slides in the lockdown receiver slots like butter....Now that I "fixed" my issue, now I just have to give it a slight push or slight adjustment and it goes right in. I just want to know if pretty much this is normal for Stern games? Sorry guys, this is my first time owning a Stern pin, not used to this at all. All my other pins are Williams....BTW, sucks that I had to remove brackets installed at the factory....but whatever works I guess

#9698 2 years ago

About the playing time....Ever since I started reading this Thread, I all hear is to "Install cliffys before ball 1 is played" or else. I got spooked I guess with all the bad reviews and all the paranoia out there

#9700 2 years ago

No it's not normal for Stern games. You should not have to remove those brackets. It's a bandaid fix but if you're happy then move on.

Yes you are correct. CT is checking with Stern about those brackets to make sure it doesn't void warranty. I personally think they installed them a tad too high