Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0271 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7243 Magnet removal Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (7 years ago)

Post #8935 Buzzing flippers fix Posted by j_m_ (7 years ago)

Post #19696 Fixing random drop targets dropping Posted by swampfire (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider knockerlover.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3620 8 years ago

Finally figured out a way to pull this one off. My Metallica pro is coming from cointaker next week!

1 week later
#3691 8 years ago

Have any of you used the mylar playfield protectors that are available? I want to do everything i can to protect the machine, and already have a full set of cliffys on order. Thanks!

#3717 8 years ago

I heard a rumor that stern stopped shipping games this week because of a peeling paint defect with metallica (and possibly kiss?). Churchill cabinet was on site working to resolve the issue. Sounds like it has been fixed for future orders but for those of you that are having the issue now, might be worth a call to stern.

#3732 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Looks like stern may make a new premium run

Source?

#3738 8 years ago

Have any of you sold your sparkys? I may end up with an extra one, curious what the true market value is.

#3800 8 years ago

Those of you getting your machines. When did you place your order? I placed mine on May 29th. I heard about the factory issue, but ive seen a couple of you guys get yours!

#3802 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_rookie:

I put my order in Memorial Day weekend.

Thanks for the reply. I suppose mine should just be a few more days then!

1 week later
#3845 8 years ago

Finally got my NIB machine yesterday (ordered it on May 29th, but was delayed due to manufacturing issues.) I kept telling myself I was just going to put one more mod in, until I was all out of mods to do! Short video of the final result. Set quality to 1080p!

#3858 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Is anyone have a file for any free play cards ? I can only find one and I dont like them that much?

http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/downloads/755_5400_XXUSCANnontournament.pdf

#3870 8 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

There is a 1.64 that is shipping with new LED Pros. I posted on Stern's facebook asking about it and was ignored. Lately they seem to reply to EVERYTHING but my question about it was ignored. It must be something very minor for them not to publicly release it but it would still be nice to know.

Stern boasts about a 97pct response rate. But they never answer me. 1.64 i can confirm shipped with my met pro born on Jun 18.

#3905 8 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Hey Guys, Im starting to have some sound issues, where it is kind of cutting in and out, or fading down real low? Any ideas? Thanks!!!

Did you happen to adjust the music or speech bias/attenuation in the settings? I noticed that music would cut out at the end of a ball and fade really low if I adjusted it any.

#3920 8 years ago

I'm combing through the differences in the 1.63/1.64 code and one thing I can tell is that Stern added a bunch of NODE BOARD TEST sequences. I'm guessing this has to do with service bulletin #184 published on June 12 where 3rd party shaker motors were damaging the node boards. http://www.sternpinball.com/service-bulletins/service-bulletin-184-third-party-shaker-motors

The only other adjustment I can see is "Snake Multiball Combos for SJ lit" I'm assuming this is an option to reduce or increase the number of snake multiball combos needed for super jackpot. Default is 3, Minimum is 2, Maximum is 4

#3934 8 years ago
Quoted from tommyp:

Snake tongue decal showed up today. Did you guys remove the top of the head to install it? or did it fit without?

I put mine in without removing the head, I would use a little rubbing alcohol to clean the surface as 85vett said. On mine I had a small bit of decal sticking up on one side in the back that I used an xacto knife to cut off.

#3939 8 years ago

I'm going to steal a quote from burningman here.. But I can definitely relate. "Blackened? What's that?"

#3944 8 years ago

No mention of the NODE board messages added.
met164node.jpgmet164node.jpg

#3946 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

This just makes it seem like they're using the same underlying system/test code for Sam and Spike.

Probably true. But, release notes should state that.

#3983 8 years ago

Similar idea in a mod that pinball refinery sells. It's a set of 6 green LED's that stick on the back of the snake assembly. It plugs into the lamp under the right ramp and lights the same time as the green snake bulb.

http://pinballrefinery.com/store#!/Metallica-Snake-LED-mod/p/27778409/category=5707242

#4004 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Great addition! When the game starts the snake light is lit, just wondering what needs to be hit in order to qualify the snake to be lit again?

shooting either left orbit, grave marker, or left ramp

http://tiltforums.com/t/metallica-wiki-rulesheet/228

#4015 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead-Seattle:

Yeah, I tightened that screw also. It worked for a couple games and started again. The design is awkward, like you said, the bracket can tilt down towards the front target. I was thinking of putting some tape, or buildup the area, where the target rest on the bracket. Also, I was going to try and add a washer near the spring behind the target to see if that would push it forward enough.

Weird, I had the same issue right about the same time. They must have a playfield robot or some technician has his torque driver set too low! I ended up putting a little bit of blue (removable) loctite on mine and winching it down. Up to almost 600 games now (threw a few late night parties) and no issues.

#4033 8 years ago

that sucks..

#4119 8 years ago

Anyone ever have issues with the Mystery hole not kicking out reliably? It's most problematic when getting into one of the crank it up modes, about 25 seconds get drained off the clock then the game does a ball search and half the time kicks it into the drain.

#4193 8 years ago

Custom topper finally arrived and completely exceeded my expectations. Daniel from tilt topper.Com outdid himself and made this idea come to life. The tombstones are a tribute to 3 of James Hetfields guitars and Daniel even matched the font. I didn't realize it was 3d, and has an led strip shining up the front. The sound reaction works great as well. Definitely recommend.20150723_201323.jpg20150723_201323.jpg

#4224 8 years ago

FYI, Hooked is finalizing a run of spinners for us met pro owners. I think there is only 1 maybe 2 slots left in the current run, so if you wanted to get it, better let him know soon!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-hkd-metallica-pro-with-add-on-spinners

1 week later
#4304 8 years ago

Has anyone looked into the possibility of adding the rising grave marker from the premium/LE's into a pro? Marco now has the whole unit in stock, I'd be curious to know if there is a way to make it work or if someone knows what the limitations are. i.e. - wiring, code, etc.

#4318 8 years ago

It's all very subjective, people change out LED's to different colors for "very little effect," but still do it because they like it (myself included.) I think we all know that whatever mods we do to the machine likely won't increase the value any, it's all about personal taste and how deep your pockets are.

I definitely like the idea of the cross being hidden all the way, but I also like thinking about it as a little square sticking out of the mud a little that once activated the lightning comes down (like in the DMD) and makes the cross rise from the dead!

Either way, I'm buying time bandits kit already.. and it's just another reason why everyone with a pro should own one.

#4321 8 years ago
Quoted from SteveF-Detroit:

20150805_081113.jpg
My 9 year old son did this the other day while I was at work. Said he was playing for like 30 minutes. Wish I could have been there. I told him he is the first billionaire I know of.

Does he have the keys?

#4338 8 years ago

I have the cointaker one as well, tightening up the bolt above the shaker motor is absolutely necessary. You will learn which parts in the machine aren't torqued down to tolerance very quickly. (i.e. the plate under the cross targets.) Electrical tape is your friend and can help reduce the speaker grill, backglass and playfield glass vibration. Also, make sure the clips on either side of the playfield are actually securing the playfield.. Otherwise, it will sound like the outside of a honda civics trunk with 2 15" subwoofers blasting dubstep. BRRRRRRRP!

#4351 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Several distributors got notice from Stern today that Met Premium Monster will be run again shortly... I am hoping they do a roadcase as well.

Definitely true. My distributor confirmed today. Shipping early September. Should be a monsters edition with new cabinet art. I'm considering selling my pro to upgrade. I heard they won't be making anymore pros also.

#4369 8 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Definitely true. My distributor confirmed today. Shipping early September. Should be a monsters edition with new cabinet art. I'm considering selling my pro to upgrade. I heard they won't be making anymore pros also.

Fyi. Squashing the rumor i started. Cabinet art should be the same but it will be the new metal cabinet. Im assuming the original premiums were the old style cabinet with the black speaker panel.

1 week later
#4409 8 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Just joined the club a couple days ago. Bought a used pro. One of the best games I've played!

Congrats! Just for laughs (due to another marketplace ad) will you share what you paid? Or.. if it was less then 4k

#4422 8 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Not to sound like a jerk, but I like to keep the settings factory and have very difficult goals that are seemingly impossible in front of me.
Never thought I'd finish Jericho on IM, but I never changed the settings on my machine and played harder and got better at nudging and finally beat it.

That's kind of like having a supermodel for a wife, that always sleeps in another room IYKWIM.

#4424 8 years ago

I lowered the outlane posts, and added a few snake letters.. reduced the sparky shots, etc. My 11 year old was playing it all weekend, thrilled with how long she was able to play. If I'm trying to be competitive, I can yank the outlane rubbers off and quickly set the factory settings back.. NBD.

1 week later
#4462 8 years ago

My machine is pictured on the pinnovators page for the new version of the pinpac 5.

http://www.pinnovators.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=53

4 weeks later
#4612 8 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Shopped out my MET today with Titan rings, got everything cleaned & waxed. Looks like a brand new pin again!
Titan MET.jpg

Ooh. I like the black flippers with yellow rubbers!!

#4621 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I've got FF on all my games but Met. I learned rather late that you get even better sound out of just an external sub. I never noticed much change in the mids/high's with my FF. It was always mainly a bass improvement. With the external sub I got that (for less) and am able to use it on two games.

I have an external sub too. I've never had flipper fidelity speakers, but I am somewhat of an audio nerd. I think for most people, an external sub is all that's necessary.

3 months later
#5437 8 years ago

Musician and Audio/Recording enthusiast here. I would venture to guess, humming or buzzing is caused by one of the folowing.

Ground loop. Usually this is resolved by introducing a ground lift mechanism. In these situations this is typically resolved by plugging both the pinball machine and external subwoofer into the same circuit.

Noise can also be introduced by resistance introduced into the circuit by fluorescent lights and dimmer switches for example.

Also there is difference between line level and speaker level. All sounder leaving the stern Sam cpu/sound board is speaker level meaning already amplified. If plugging this into an external subwoofer expecting line level you will be amplifying the signal 2x. Add an unshielded cable to this (amplified signal to be amplified again) and you will also experience humming.

The pinpac board combines both the left and right speaker signals (I believe) and creates a "mono" channel. It also adds a 200ohm 1/4 watt resistor to each channel. Based on tbk's posts.. you could add this resistor to each channel to get the desired effect of the board (note, not my recommedation one way or the other). I believe this is their method of attenuation the signal.

All that said I have used alligator clips on tons of machines and experienced no issues. I have always done this at the subwoofer though, not at the MPU.

#5460 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

The prem/LE can be set to play exactly like the pro as it relates to the hammer. Just a FYI. Me personally, I will take an unrecognized lock shot every now and then vs the ball going in and out of the snakes mouth 100% of the time. It's a trade off but you can adjust the code to cover for the lock issues if your game has it.
I'm still not 100% convinced their is an actual issue with the mech. Seems more like the call outs being wrong that makes people think it isn't working. For instance, when I hear "lock is lit" I always have to hit the captive ball one more time before the hammer is active. It then catches the ball nearly 90% of the time I hit the captive ball again. It's almost like the call out for "lock is lit" should be "light lock light is lit". Very odd.

I bought a pro before I knew about the latest premium run, and have thrown a lot at it. Things I've added that make it more like a premium LE are the spinners (although they are tapped into the 1st and last pick targets), TimeBandit's matrix intercepter GI (which emulates the LE GI, and other lighting depending on the code you run) and can also run the rising cross (which I've added.) My pro is missing the hammer and the snake lock. Of the two, I think the snake lock is the biggest issue. After having played a MoP LE, I'm not a huge fan of the hammer. I love the concept, but the execution (at least on this game) felt weak. Also, I had a hard time seeing the left ramp and the sparky shot from the right flipper w/ the hammer.

1 week later
#5691 8 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

So this happened to me last night.. I think I had a few things stacked and I had a four ball multiball... I ended up with hitting one by one up there... Once they were all magnetized and I had nothing left to hit the game went into ball search.. Finally I gave the game a shake to free them up.

Are you using silverjets?

4 months later
#7152 7 years ago

Welcome chubtoad! You might want to consider griding down that core and remylaring.

#7204 7 years ago

dangit, and I told myself I wouldn't buy any more pinball stuff today!.. got mine..

#7231 7 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

No. Wear started out of the blue. Advice was magnet to low so I took it out and tryed to file it flat, for it was high in the middle. And try to stop any future damage. I could not get it perfect, so I am going to put a new magnet in and a Cliffy to try to stop damage to my game. Iam hoping this works.

I would continue to reach out to stern and your distributor, I'm pretty confident that is a defective playfield. I ordered my game on May 29 and sometime before that they halted production on games due to this issue until CCC could correct. Mine was finally made on June 18.

When you get the cliffy definitely prep the area with rubbing alcohol as he suggests before applying. I will I've had a lot of trouble with those particular cliffys staying in place and with some paint missing on yours now there will be even less of a flat surface to keep it there . I have ended up just putting the mylar circles down from pinballlife

#7257 7 years ago

TBK I thought the hammer/disappearing ball was pretty innovative and the rising cross.

The game to me is much more than just shot latout. I think Mets real achievement is that it has all of the elements done really well. Rules, shots, theme integration, music, callouts, toys..

Every once and a while I have a game where I get truly immersed and lost in the gameplay. Those 20 minute balls when you get a CIU or 2 and get the 2x playfield rolling.. come out and find your in seek and destroy.

There are a bunch of different ways you can play.. go for just blackened, Sparky all day, try for seek and destroy, go for end of the line.. points, etc.

#7265 7 years ago

TBK, I understand now. In order for something to be "innovative" you personally have to think it innovative. Innovation, even if it's moving the needle a milometer to the right is innovation none-the-less. What you're saying "The hammer is simply a solenoid coil with a lever" is like saying a magic trick isn't cool because now you know how it works. Something doesn't have to be overly complex like an overhand flipper assembly such as in lexy lightspeed, in order to be innovative.

Stern is a business, and innovation to the extent of lexy lightspeed takes capital investment, and introduces reliability and reputation risk into the business. No Stern.. no new games innovative or not. Either way, Metallica is a game that will never leave my collection and they obviously have enough demand that they can't kick out games fast enough.

1 week later
#7293 7 years ago
Quoted from bushz:

I know it might be too soon but is anyone having any major issues with the current run of machines?

What issues are you having?

3 weeks later
#7598 7 years ago

It's always bothered me that a decent remaster/re-recording has never been done of the earlier albums (except ride the lightning). In the meantime, I found some covers by bands that I like, perhaps you will like them too.

487 Battery (Machine Head)
602 Blackened (Between the Buried and Me)
713 Creeping Death (Stone Sour, but there is a remastered one)
784 Enter Sandman
856 Fade to Black
911 For Whom the Bell Tolls (Sabaton)
950 Fuel
1009 Master of Puppets (Trivium)
1077 One
1210 Ride the Lightning
1292 Sad But True
1362 Seek and Destroy
1440 End of the Line

1505 Unforgiven

#7605 7 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

What really needs to be done to ACDC is for songs to play through and not start over every time the ball drains......it gets annoying to hear the beginning of a song over and over.

I have this problem likely a lot more than most on this game! I know the first 20 seconds of every AC/DC song by heart now.

#7615 7 years ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

This is all without the USB installed, I'm getting a blank dmd as soon as I turn it on if dip switch 8 is flipped to the on position

Try with dipswitch 8 off and boot as normal, then go into the menu, utils, update. The menu will instruct you to insert usb, then set dipswitch 8 to off, and press select to reboot. Maybe that will work.

3 months later
#8658 7 years ago

Scary what is in that head of yours TB. I guess messing around with the guts of a met for months at a time building the interceptor will do that to you!

#8661 7 years ago

Best is subjective. Especially since you can combine a lot of lighting kits. That one generally hooks up to the flashers behind sparky, but technically you could hook it up to whatever you wanted (coffin, cross, etc.)

I do really like this mod and have it on my pro and stle also. I have to say the matrix interceptor timebandit makes is my favorite mod to show off on the game. Especially since I have the rising cross in my pro.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider knockerlover.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread?tu=knockerlover and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.