51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7243 Magnet removal Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (7 years ago)

Post #8935 Buzzing flippers fix Posted by j_m_ (7 years ago)

Post #19696 Fixing random drop targets dropping Posted by swampfire (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jakers.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9313 7 years ago

I've dropped so many quarters into this game at the local arcade. I have decided to join the club in the next month with an NIB Premium Monsters. Are there certain runs of this game/serial numbers that should be avoided because of playfield issues? I've looked at most of this thread and noticed some people having bad playfield chipping problems with only a few weeks play on the machine. I assume the sparky airball protector and magnet mylar/cliffys really help that problem, but I just want to make sure there wasn't a bad batch of play fields that got out into the wild.

I'm really looking forward to getting a fast and furious game like this in my lineup.

3 weeks later
#9909 7 years ago

I'm joining the club. I just got the call that my Monsters Premium is sitting at the truck depot ready for me to pick up after work. Happy Friday indeed!!!

#9917 7 years ago

Time to pour a drink and get this night started. Let the unboxing commence!

IMG_1453 (resized).JPGIMG_1453 (resized).JPG

#9922 7 years ago

So far everything works 100% out of the box. A couple strange things I've noticed though. The snake spits the ball out at a crazy speed. Sometimes it even bounces off the bottom edge of the hammer and can even launch the ball airborn almost all the way to the left flipper. Is there an adjustment for this? Also, the plunger spring seems really strong. Like, overpowered strong to the point where if I do a full plunge the ball goes airborn into the back right plastics.

Loving this game and just need to get it dialed in.

#9927 7 years ago

So I've owned the game for 24 hours now and put 40 plays on it. This happened 4 times today. The ball gets stuck on the lip of the snake. The game goes into ball search but the ball search doesn't activate the jaw so it just sits there until I have to tilt the game. Then the jaw moves and kicks the ball into the drain. It happened twice in one game. Does anyone else have this problem?

IMG_1459 (resized).JPGIMG_1459 (resized).JPG

#9929 7 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Is the angle of your game set steep enough?

Yes. A little steeper than normal actually.

#9933 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

There is an adjustment for the jaw position. Yours needs to be moved up slightly. Look for a screw with a lock nut. It's a bit of a pain to adjust.

Thanks. I'll try adjusting the jaw tomorrow. Would adjusting the jaw upward stop the air balls when the ball is launched out of the snake? It's more like the snake pitches the ball to my left flipper rather than spits it.

#9941 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

There is an adjustment for the jaw position. Yours needs to be moved up slightly. Look for a screw with a lock nut. It's a bit of a pain to adjust.

Can anyone show me a picture of this screw and locknut? I can seem to find anything that looks like it'll adjust the lower jaw height.

#9972 7 years ago

So am I correct in assuming you can only replace songs and not add songs to the lineup?

#9992 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I have noticed that some of the plunges hit this area instead of going up the loop. Is this pretty normal or do I need to make some adjustments? Thanks!

I'm wondering this as well. If I do a full plunge the ball usually goes airborne and bounces around in the back right corner of the playfield. I did notice that the manual calls for a green plunger spring. Mine came with an orange spring installed which is stronger. I've ordered a few different tension springs and am going to see if they affect those airballs out of the shooter lane.

But on the other hand, the auto plunger has sent airballs out of the shooter lane as well....so who knows if my spring tension theory will help.

#10067 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Thanks! Well my game is perfectly leveled. I will change the spring for sure. Wonder why the factory installs a red spring when the damn manual calls for a green spring?? WOW!

I just installed a green spring last night and it completely took care of my crazy airballs coming out of the shooter lane. But, now a super skill shot to the mystery hole is far too easy. A full plunge bounces the ball off both flippers and directly into the hole 99% of the time. Not much of a "skill shot" if you ask me. I'm going to try a standard spring which has less tension than a green and see how that works out.

My auto plunger still produces airballs sometimes. I'm still going to look into that problem.

#10090 7 years ago

Anyone with a ColorDMD...(and I assume that's most of you haha)...I NEED SOME HELP! Since colordmd was out of stock last week I ordered one from Planetary Pinball. The receipt says everything should be for Stern SAM system. However, The wire kit that came with it is labeled for WPC/WPC95, so obviously that's not the right wire kit. Can anyone confirm that I received the wrong cable kit?

I'm pretty bummed about this because I have a party in 2 days and I wanted the colordmd in the game. The wrong cable I received is just a power cable correct? The molex connectors match but the pin locations do not. Can I move the wires of my games dmd power cable to match the color dmd pins? If so, which cable would go where to match the colorDMD power needs?

Also, the instructions for the stern SAM say to route the new cable down through the cabinet to get power? Is that right? I have a newer Metallica Premium with the metal backbox.

03283022-0AD4-4874-A8C5-6D371A42F4F6 (resized).JPG03283022-0AD4-4874-A8C5-6D371A42F4F6 (resized).JPG

5E1CEB15-2872-4682-870C-DF7E6B2C5B2E (resized).JPG5E1CEB15-2872-4682-870C-DF7E6B2C5B2E (resized).JPG

268C163B-5B67-4B0D-B662-F8E46C2E8227 (resized).JPG268C163B-5B67-4B0D-B662-F8E46C2E8227 (resized).JPG

IMG_1518 (resized).PNGIMG_1518 (resized).PNG

#10092 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Having just today installed the ColorDMD in my Met Pro with the metal backbox, you'll need the clear shield and mounting hardware. But that is not the power cable for Stern SAM. The power cable should plug into the ColorDMD and then you'll have the 3 Pin connectors shown in the diagram. The female Y harness is used as a splitter if you already have a mod powered by that 12v connector, like I do with the GI Theatre mod.

I did order the clear shield and mounting hardware. Everything seems correct except for the cable. Where did you hook your colordmd into power? In the cab or the connector that the original dmd was plugged into?

#10104 7 years ago

So as a temporary fix while I wait for my correct colorDMD power cable to arrive, I'm going to make my own so I can get it up and running for the weekend. I just need to know what pins to use on the colorDMD board. Can someone take a picture of their power wires so I can see what colors go to what pins?

Thanks.

#10110 7 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Gray 5V
Black Ground
Gray/Yellow 12V
Double-check all voltages with a DMM before applying power. If you misconnect any voltages, you may damage the ColorDMD control board.

Thank you for this info. Planetary just called me and they overnighting me the correct parts. Their customer service is great!

#10135 7 years ago

So I've had my premium for a week now and absolutely love it. I had a party yesterday so we really broke it in good. A few times during the night, I saw it kick 2 balls into the shooter lane. I also saw the hammer and coffin magnet drop when a ball wasn't even near it. That happened a few times as well throughout the night.

My game has a manufacture date of November 2016 so it should have the updated magnet boards in it correct? Running version 1.7.

Where should I start looking for a fix to these issues?

2 weeks later
#10382 7 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

This is my high for FWTBT. My overall score was only 400+mil.

I hit 91 million last night with FWTBT and thought it was impressive. I now realize it is not.....

#10384 7 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

It was the perfect storm. I think I completed it, and I had 2x on the cash-out. I think when you complete a CIU, you have the opportunity to collect around 20% of the jackpot after the mode ends by unlighting all the spider inserts and going back into the Mystery. I think the spiders all turn orange on the premium/LE, but it's kind of confusing on the pro because they're only red, and some re-light for other reasons. That 20% of the jackpot gets added to the CIU champion score.

Interesting. I was wondering why my spiders were orange. I've never saw them that color before last night.

1 month later
#10703 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Sounds like a loose or mis-adjusted snake switch. It can work to the effect that the snake popper senses the ball and pops it out, but the game doesn't recognize that the snake switch was hit. Make sure the switch is adjusted properly and both screws mounting it are tight.

What switch is this in the snake assembly? Recently, my snake doesn't score a letter sometimes and just kicks the ball out. Is it item #7 on the head assembly?

Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 9.44.41 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-05-03 at 9.44.41 AM (resized).png

3 months later
#11303 6 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Sorry man. I checked my stash and this is all I have for Metallica.

Hey LOTR_breath would you like to sell that middle decal? pleeeeeeease?

2 months later
#11744 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I watched the tutorial. I think I know how to get the hurry ups, but what exactly do they give you?

Collecting the hurry ups lock the inserts on for that particular shot. So for the rest of the game when you hit the shot with the locked on inserts you collect one of each item. It really speeds up the process of getting to Crank It Up.

#11746 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

That's what I thought. Now to keep the ball in play long enough to take advantage. lol.

I know. Easier said than done right? haha. Also, if you can collect the hurry ups for all the shots you will start Seek and Destroy mode.

#11749 6 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Just to clarify (I know what you meant), it won't lock the inserts for the rest of the game. It will lock the inserts until Seek and Destroy start. If you're trying to get through Crank It Up modes, it's a good strategy to try to avoid starting Seek and Destroy.

True, I forgot to mention that starting Seek and Destroy resets all the insert lights. I try to leave the graveyard hurry up for last then time out the hurry up if I do start it.

1 month later
#12157 6 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

Minor issue on my NIB Premium. Figured i'd post it here before calling Stern. Did a forum search and didn't find much. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue.
During certain times in a game, I start hearing a humming or buzzing noise, which sounds like it's 'underneath' the music and speech. It's not crazy loud, compared to the other sounds, but you can definitely hear it when it's there. It scales up & down when you adjust the volume of the game. Possibly starts happening when Lock is lit. I went into the tests to try and determine what is triggering it, and found that it's being caused by the Coffin Magnet. When the magnet is trying to detect a ball, you hear this humming noise 'underneath' all the other audio. Like I said, it's not ridiculously loud, but you do notice it right away, and it just doesn't seem normal to me.
I hear this noise coming from the speakers during the "1.Detect/Grab" test, and the "3.Detect" test.
During the "2.Detect/Hold" test, you don't hear noise from the speakers, but the machine actually starts to vibrate ever-so-slightly, and it makes a different noise, which is more mechanical sounding, and seems to come from the mechanism itself...not from the speakers. I assume THIS is normal? If so, only wondering about the noise coming from the speakers during the other Coffin Magnet tests, as described above.
Anyone else experience this sort of thing?
Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

The coffin magnet has a high pitch sound to it when it is on and waiting to grab the ball.

1 month later
#12390 6 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

I have a rule question on the pro. Whenever i hit the rollover switches on the inlanes, the casket lights up. Hit the casket, but its not the hurry up or anything, or even extra points. I was just wondering what its for. Thanks

I'm fairly certain that the inlane switches light the coffin for a few seconds and will count for 2 coffin hits.

1 month later
#12788 6 years ago
Quoted from Guzz4851:

Get a shaker, pinnovators sub kit, and an external sub. Crank the sound up to at least 40 and prepare yourself....I guarantee you won’t stop smiling...

^^^ THIS! ^^^

#12797 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

My only gripe is that damn left orbit reject. Ive played around with the slope and the leveling left to right and no matter what i am getting damn near 100% rejects. That sucks because i like when it drops down into the pops.

I know it varies from game to game but with mine, replacing that orbit post with the metal one stopped my left orbit rejects.

2 weeks later
#12958 6 years ago

Here's a picture from when I was deciding what color to use. I ended up going with purple.

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized you were asking about gameplay and not just for color preferences. But still...purple looks awesome. haha

IMG_1593 (resized).JPGIMG_1593 (resized).JPG

#12983 6 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

I was looking at my Metallica the other day wondering why no one has come up with a sticker for the piston lane target/stop. That blue target looks boring.
Would be cheap and I'm sure a lot of people would buy it...

I replaced my piston lane target with an eyeball target from Tales From The Crypt. It fits the Metallica art nicely.

#13003 6 years ago

Does anyone know where I could buy just the "M" logo for the speaker grills? I don't want the lights, just the "M".

#13046 6 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Perfect !
Thanks for the great photos !
The LCD looks really smooth
I'm really fussy and thought the screen being so far recessed would be annoying to my OCD
I doesn't look to bad at all, I think I could live with it and I guess would be hard to notice front on.
Anyone know of plans for a flush mount LCD ?
Would really like to see comparison photos of LED
Thanks again for helping out dnapac !
btw your Monsters looks Awesome !

The gap with the LCD colordmd triggered my OCD as well. I bought some self adhesive foam weatherstripping from Home Depot. It works really well to hide all unwanted stuff.

1 week later
#13154 6 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I think I saw one of the menus that actually lets you set the defaults... I'd rather keep fighting to beat the default though to make it REALLY mean something. I was just curious how many combos other people have on MET.

My highest combo is 27 and I had to really fight for that. It might have been one of the most stressful games I've ever put on my Metallica.

1 month later
#13401 5 years ago

Mine was doing this same thing when I first opened it. Make sure the plunger tip is centered on the ball when it's sitting in the shooter lane. If it's off center this will cause the ball to bounce around on its way out. You can adjust the position by loosening the 3 screws holding it in place. Also, try replacing the shooter rod spring with a weaker one. Mine shipped with an orange spring and is way too powerful in my opinion for this game.

1 month later
#13839 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So has anyone gotten the diverter to actually work from the left loop so it drops onto the pops yet? Mine works once every 20 times.
I took the sleeve off to help "deaden" the ball, but no luck.

I replaced my diverter with the metal one. Since replacing it, I've only saw the ball bounce out of the left orbit a couple times in almost 2000 plays.

4 months later
#14780 5 years ago

My game is not updating. I’ve updated before and never had a problem. I went into the service menu to the “update game code”. Flipped dipswitch 8 to on, then power cycle like it tells me. The game just stays on a “rebooting....” screen. The usb stick is not even in the machine yet.

What’s up with this?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#14785 5 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

My game is not updating. I’ve updated before and never had a problem. I went into the service menu to the “update game code”. Flipped dipswitch 8 to on, then power cycle like it tells me. The game just stays on a “rebooting....” screen. The usb stick is not even in the machine yet.
What’s up with this?
[quoted image]

I’ve tried resetting with the reset button, the select button and a total power cycle. The game will not enter the update screen. It just locks up every time.

If I turn dipswitch 8 back to the off position it powers up fine and is still playable.

I want this new code! Haha. Help!

#14791 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Try a different usb stick and try downloading the code again, possibly corrupt. Happened to be Saturday when I put a ColorDMD in my Spider-Man. Everytime I tried to load the dmd code it went all wacky. Downloaded again and it was fine. First download was corrupt.

The usb stick isn’t even in the game yet, although I’ve tried every combination of usb stick in/out and power cycle methods. It locks up every time.

#14794 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Put the usb stick in, flip dip switch 8, update, take out usb, flip dip switch 8 off.

It locks up at your “update” step every time.

#14796 5 years ago

Sounds like a bad boot rom. Do you have access to a burner and a spare 8 megabit eprom? I can send you the file to burn.

I do not, unfortunately. The update to 1.7 went flawlessly a few months ago. I’m bummed.

#14797 5 years ago

Sounds like a bad boot rom. Do you have access to a burner and a spare 8 megabit eprom? I can send you the file to burn.

Ok, this is really strange. After your comment I looked at my BOOT chip and it looks like a leg is bent. I’m the first owner and have NEVER touched any of the circuitry in this game. Can anyone tell me if this bottom leg is bent or am I just going crazy?

3DC3C81B-CF11-4BC8-8A97-F897A9AABF80 (resized).jpeg3DC3C81B-CF11-4BC8-8A97-F897A9AABF80 (resized).jpeg5ED943B9-B807-4B22-8535-4C08A55B5DF2 (resized).jpeg5ED943B9-B807-4B22-8535-4C08A55B5DF2 (resized).jpeg
#14801 5 years ago

Success. There were actually 3 bent legs! I removed the chip, straightened the legs, reinstalled and it’s updating now. Really strange that I’ve never had a problem updating before and have never touched that boot chip. Thanks snakesnsparklers !

#14838 5 years ago

This new code seems to hand out extra balls like crazy. I swear I had 4 or 5 extra balls on my final game last night. Default settings too. Ended with a score of 590 million.

#14895 5 years ago

Thank you, Lyman! I finally achieved End of the Line. What a freaking rush!!!

55FEA242-0D56-4C26-9DC1-9EFD5989706F (resized).jpeg55FEA242-0D56-4C26-9DC1-9EFD5989706F (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#15090 5 years ago

My mystery scoop is starting to not give mystery awards, start crank it ups or collect extra balls. It doesn’t happen all the time but it’s really annoying when you hit the scoop to start a CIU and it just spits it back out. From what I can tell, there is only one switch in that scoop and it seems to be adjusted properly. If the game knows the ball is in the scoop to kick it out, wouldn’t it know to award things as well?

9 months later
#16790 4 years ago

I just noticed tonight that when I shoot the snake, it doesn’t always count as a snake hit. It ejects the ball every time but doesn’t count towards the snake count most of the time. I have a premium. What switch needs to be adjusted on the snake to make it actually register a make?

2 weeks later
#16817 4 years ago

Does anyone know where to get the extended Sparky airball plastic? Mine finally cracked. Looking for the version that is clear with no spider web etching.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 25.50
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,600 (OBO)
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jakers.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread?tu=jakers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.