Topic Stats

• 17,204 posts
  • 960 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 369 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,947 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

LED-lights-metallica-bottom (resized).jpg
MET MDM2 (resized).jpg
MDM V2 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200121_210219 (resized).jpg
AD7C5EAA-16FB-4FEE-AA98-7714687D0538 (resized).jpeg
AD43465E-F523-4444-AAF5-8EF60E341772 (resized).jpeg
EBFC9F4E-6334-49DF-9FAE-9F4546D2FA26 (resized).jpeg
C983082E-5120-4A3C-9B68-EB491421D7E7 (resized).jpeg
3508fb180bb5eddd6ce77b68e97d976e00ff52fd.jpeg (resized).jpg
EF82459E-3D35-4C2F-A1A4-D5A5AF738B5B (resized).jpeg
12F2F3CA-9A84-4A07-8498-CDFCAD6BB449 (resized).jpeg
BDAA4093-FC41-4AF3-98C0-C8F4AFE06BC5 (resized).jpeg
5B2DBA3D-D33B-4FA3-B478-0C8902164D28.jpeg
08A2353A-227F-4471-B644-99250F8CD1ED (resized).jpeg
EE77AE9B-F9D2-4417-95C1-487A0003B0A6 (resized).jpeg
C2778CF1-BE72-4435-A7A3-956014D956D6 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hougie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#723 5 years ago
Quoted from Jnewton:

Just joined this club and had a question? I see in earlier revisions that people were disabling or replacing the up post for the orbit shot. Is this still recommended or has it been improved in newer software revisions? Thanks

You can disable the post in settings and during the skill shot by holding the left flipper. It doesn't bother me during play. For instance, it drops during combo shots.

1 week later
#790 5 years ago

I have Mylar down. Works fine.

2 months later
#1174 5 years ago
Quoted from kmk68sin:

I'm sure I might have asked this question or it was already covered in this thread somewhere...
Who has the best looking LED kit for the Metallica Pro? I'm still undecided.

The problem is that it is so subjective. I haven't seen a kit for any machine that I absolutely loved. Experimenting with colors and mixes of LED and incandescent bulbs is one of my favorite parts of the process. I would start with a random mix of bulb colors and types. You can search images for inspiration.

#1189 5 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Hi Folks just unboxed my NIB MET Pro a few days ago ...need some advice. What color bulbs under the flipper lane plastics near the bottom? What color under slings and lastly what color in the spot lights? TIA.

I put the neon lane and sling protectors on mine and left the bulbs incandescent. I love how they look. I tried some LEDs and none looked right, imo.

1 month later
#1368 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Only LEDs I've added are frosted whites under white inserts. Not a fan of clown puking, but to each their own.

I feel the exact same way. I have white frosted under the white inserts and a handful of GI led bulbs.

3 weeks later
#1526 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Diverter post: Enable or disable.
What say you? I see upsides and downsides to each...

I disabled mine for a while but I went back to standard settings. Now it only loops when it is supposed to. I have thought about changing to a metal post in an attempt to reduce bounce backs though...

#1555 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Was playing with coin reject designs this weekend. Doing other machines too, I'll make them available to people who want them.

image.jpg 86 KB

I especially like the spider.

#1616 5 years ago

I tend to focus on the captive ball and sparky. I usually get coffin MB by the third ball most games. Coffin is nice because it stacks with other MBs.

2 weeks later
#1717 5 years ago

Rick,
The sparky plastic was prob a two minute install and fit perfectly. Thanks again!
-Hougie

1 month later
#1873 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Disclaimer: this is the cliff notes version as requested

Cliff and I were as thick as thieves in high school.

2 months later
#2407 4 years ago

Looks good, Sparky. I especially like the mystery scoop.

#2447 4 years ago

I tried my hand at painting sparky. I want to do him up in green but couldn't get the paint to cover well. Any suggestions for doing the helmet?

IMG_20150326_125238839.jpg
#2449 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you really want to paint him properly you need to prime him first, give the acrylics a surface they can stick to.

Makes sense. I may stick with the dirtied up version for a while and then go at it properly. Thanks for the tip!

#2450 4 years ago
#2451 4 years ago

I need to paint Sparky more often. I won't top this for a while, lol..

IMG_20150326_144640356.jpg

1 week later
#2489 4 years ago

I never answered your question before.

-Number one - nudging is your friend, embrace it. It will keep the ball out of the outlanes. Use dead bounces as much as possible. Flailing is the enemy!
-Master the fuel lane and mystery scoop shoots. Tons of potential points rely on you being able to hit those two shots!

So here is a typical "good" scoring game for me
-I shoot for lighting the inserts toward CIU on the ramps and loops right away. Complete those and lock them in. You will get to CIU way faster. ie. The big points.
-I go for the coffin locks first. I often accidentally hit sparky enough to start his multiball first. During this multiball I usually get the extra ball lit from coffin bashing.
-At this point I'm usually ready for a CIU. I go for FTB or FWTBT first.
-During CIU try to hit sparky, snake, cross and coffin to light the mystery scoop. Hit several shots and then go for the fuel lane. This gives you 2x scoring. Hit the scoop. Collect the cash out option on the CIU and you get double points. It's not uncommon to get over 100mil from cashing out on the CIU 2x jackpot.
-At this point I'm usually close to coffin and I try to stack immediately with sparky or cross when I start coffin multiball.
-Then you are usually close to another CIU, Seek and Destroy, Blackened, etc.
-On a really good game I will at least reach the above goals.

This game is so much more than bash sparky/ rinse/ repeat. Truly one of the greatest games IMO.

Hope this helps and gives some goals to aim for. I am absolutely positive that you can find other/better strategies but this is just my fair to middling strategy.

#2491 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Good info. thanks. So, lighting the inserts for CIU...Follow the red arrow, hit the item thats flashing (electric chair, snake etc) right?
What exactly is the blue arrow indicate? Thanks

I have a pro. No blue arrow here. Let's use a ramp as an example. Hit the ramp and then sparky, snake, cross. Shoot the ramp again and hit the captive ball. You then have the shots locked in. This will get you to crank it up way faster.

#2573 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Your coffin magnet looks way off center! Plus your snake jaw looks a bit high too...
Rob

Eye of the beholder is a good Metallica song.

2 weeks later
#3223 4 years ago

Man, I'm psyched to see so many excited about their METs! What a kick a$$ game. If you don't like it you are probably a bad person, but who am I to judge?

#3346 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

please dont kick my ass, but i'm decided in my head to sell MET+EATPM (cause needing euros) and grab KISS PREM...

If you have decided on a premium, hold off and play one first. You should have plenty of time.

1 month later
#3722 4 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

Are there adjustments to help the ball not bounce off the orbit post?
90% of the time, it bounces back instead of stopping the ball and dropping to the pops.

The biggest adjustment for me has been adding spinners. MET was probably designed with the LE (spinners) in mind. I have the metal post also but noticed a large improvement in bouncebacks after adding the spinners.

2 weeks later
#3892 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I have Tron next to my Metallica. Peanut butter and jelly, they go great together.

Yeah, that'll do.
IMG_20150620_105221986.jpg

1 week later
#3988 4 years ago

I haven't messed with it yet but, are the song locations the same for pinball browser?

#3989 4 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

I haven't messed with it yet but, are the song locations the same for pinball browser?

Edit: It looks to be the same.
Battery 476
Blackened 591
CD 702
ES 773
FTB 846
FWTBT 900
Fuel 939
MoP 998
One 1066
RTL 1199
SBT 1281
SnD 1351
TEOTL 1429
Unforgiven 1494

#3992 4 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

I can confirm they are the same.
And there is a typo above. Ride the Lightning should be 1199 and not 199.

Fixed

#4031 4 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

Hey guys, I finally collected enough cans to purchase the color dmd, do you guys sell the original dmd or hold onto it?

I hope you remembered to throw a little sand in them.

#4042 4 years ago

Fresh coat of wax. Followed by a killer game. Had it screaming for more. \m/
IMG_20150712_210334495.jpg

#4047 4 years ago
Quoted from trimoto:

joined the club

20150701_220104.jpg

It's good to see my old buddy (over on the right) in that sweet line up. Congrats on the Metallica pick up. It is a totally awesome game!

#4083 4 years ago

Speaking of pirates, do you know why pirates only put two hundred and thirty nine beans in their soup? Because one more would be two farty. Sorry about that, back to the topic...

1 week later
#4190 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

The "M" is for "Mike"

Working on the Sparky animations for Rens at the moment; he want's a green Sparky. What does the "Four Horsemen" text look like? This?
Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 6.03.21 AM.png

The four Morsemen would be an awesome name for a gang of Morse code nerds. A very small gang..

#4231 4 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Try hitting it on the fly after a right ramp. Not only does that combo score an increasing jackpot, but it can be easier to hit that way. Sad, but true.

I can consistently hit the Fuel lane when the ball is rolling down the right inlane, but never from a trap.

#4270 4 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

This shot seemed quite hard at first, but now I can get it from a cradle rather consistently (have only had the machine a couple days now). Slightly nudging to the left upon flipping seems to have helped me get it regularly. Not sure if it's the nudge itself, or if planning the nudge is somehow changing my timing for the better, etc. Doesn't hurt to try :p

Dude, seeing your avatar reminded me. I saw a Ziltoid licence plate the other day in rural southern Indiana. I was so psyched to see some Heavy Devy love in my neck o' the woods.

Back to MET...

#4281 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

For the most part, pinball browser is easy. The hardest part is getting the sound levels right but even that isnt too difficult. here's some tips and tricks to help out the process:
1. Go to this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tips-for-getting-sound-files-ready-for-pinball-browser
2. download pinball browser from the OP's link and his suggested Audacity program for music editing.
3. Get the song you want to import into a .wav format. Tip: If you use iTunes, you can convert .aac (itunes) files to .wav in itunes! In iTunes - Go to Edit > Preferences. Click General > then click Import Settings Button. On the 'import using' change it from aac to wav and click OK to save. Then select the song you want to convert and click File > Create New Version > create as wav. Then right click your song and select find in windows explorer. You'll see two versions of the song, one is the itunes aac file and the other new wav file. Copy+Paste the wav file to your pinball browser folder or sub folder in pinball browser so you have your import/export music in a separate location than itunes.
4. Follow Dugfreez's tips in the link above from step 1 which is opening the song in Audacity and making it a 24kbps mono sound file. This is also where you can lower or raise the volume level of the song. Follow the tips though in the OP's thread above in step 1.
5. download metallicas code from sterns website and save it in a new subfolder in your pinball browser.
6. open pinball browser and open the code file. You'll see all the sound bytes, music, messages, etc... for Metallica. It'll be organized in bits not verbage so its hard to know what song is which.
TIP: pinball browser has a bookmarks button and you can look for bookmarks online for Metallica code and it'll automatically import bookmarks for all the songs.
7. Select the song you want to replace, click import, select your new altered song you made in audacity and select import. You'll get a warning pop up about the sound file has to be 24kpbs, just hit ok. You should be able to play the song now in pinball browser and it should be the imported one.
TIP: play your new song in pinball browser then play another factory song - you should be able to tell if your imported song will be much louder or lower than the other songs in the machine. When i imported The Judas Kiss it was super loud. I lowered the db's using Audacity to like -4 or -5 til i finally found a sweet spot.
8. Go to the 'Messages' Tab in pinball browser and search for the song you are replacing > i.e. RIDE THE LIGHTNING. Change the text to the new song. You only get 15 characters > im not sure what happens if you checkbox force to use longer text.
9. Save the new .BIN folder with a new name of some sort (dont use spaces) MET161LE for example.
10. Put it on a USB and update your game.
I may have missed a few steps but thats basically it. It takes some computer knowledge and a little tinkering but it really should only take you about 30 mins to do all that. Uploading it to your pin is the long part
I had to do mine twice because the sound level was so high on The Judas Kiss.

Check out this post about replacing songs.

2 weeks later
#4373 4 years ago

Would anyone be able to tell if you just put a screw from the bottom of his foot up into his leg? Maybe that and some glue.

#4376 4 years ago

Poor Sparky is screwed no matter what he does.

3 weeks later
#4496 4 years ago
Quoted from thunderking50:

Everytime people post pics of TallicA i am shocked,Pro Premium or Le they all lOoK freakin awesome
Dirty Donny Lyman and Borg nailed it,best Playing and LoOking Machine ever ! For Me

B_R, quit hacking thunderking.

#4509 4 years ago
Quoted from Iaintnobodydork:

I fired up my fairly low play HUO MET for a friend that was over for just a quick game. On ball three the RH flipper went dead. All I had time for was to open the coin door and feel the coil and see if there was a loose wire. It seemed like there might have been some extremely light smoke but hard to say. It happened on his first game. Any jump start suggestions would be most appreciated. I've had almost no trouble out of all my Sterns so I'm not real familiar with them. Thanks,Charlie

I'm assuming that you checked the fuse by the flipper. If you pop one in and the flipper locks on, blowing the fuse, you have a bad transistor.

I just replaced the transistor for the left flipper. I took a call while playing, held in the flipper, blew the transistor
...anyway. Probably a warranty thing but I have the tools to fix my stuff and had the parts on hand.

#4517 4 years ago
Quoted from Iaintnobodydork:

Thanks Hougie, that sounds like what must have happened. So after 11 years in the hobby I get to replace my first transistor, and it happens on my newest game after 2 minutes of play. I guess that's why they invented the phrase "That's Pinball"

Did you try a new fuse? Fuses can pop just from being cheaply made. Definitely go easiest to hardest! Dont bust out the iron unless you know it's bad.

Do you know how to test the transistor?

#4518 4 years ago

You may just call tech support. I'm sure that's under warranty. If you have never replaced parts on a board you shouldn't cut your teeth on a new shiny game. Send me a p.m. if you want.

#4532 4 years ago
Quoted from tornado:

I'm SO STOKED! Just got my Metallica Premium Monsters NIB!
This is my 1st/2nd game ever, the first being a BK, which I haven't even been able to get 5 games out of before something goes wrong with it. So I really count this as my first. Metallica was the first band I ever saw in concert, circa 1986 for the Master of Puppets tour. So this table has some meaning for me. I'm pretty excited. Only took me about an hour from back of truck to playing it. Looking forward to seeing what mods (if any) make sense to do!
DSC01395.jpeg
DSC01403.jpeg
DSC01407.jpeg
DSC01410.jpeg
DSC01414.jpeg
DSC01420.jpeg
DSC01421.jpeg
DSC01424.jpeg

Congrats!

1 week later
#4602 4 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Looking at those scores, I'm not certain that its playing perfect.

Give the man a break! He's only had it two days. Metallica certainly made me a better player in short order.

1 week later
#4647 4 years ago
Quoted from rkelley17:

I am now officially in the club! Picked up my Pro LED from Trent today! I can't wait to get her setup!!!

Awesome!!

1 month later
#4934 4 years ago
Quoted from Twilight1:

As I'm I but I guess I snooze I lose. Don't know if I'll pay the $ cash on epay but you never know.

Don't do it. You are just confirming that the pricks can keep making cash this way.

4 weeks later
#5173 4 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

I'd rather they fixed the problem with Sparky coil locking on and catching fire if the game is powered off with the coin door open, once it's turned back on again .

I'm glad that my game hasn't caught on fire but that would be a pretty metal way to go out on a great game, lol \m/

1 week later
#5300 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

My magic eight ball says yes, games that Lyman owns always have a good chance.

Sweet, so there's hope for BSD also?

2 weeks later
#5510 4 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Im trying to figure out if anyone would say that Metallica Premium is similiar to ST premium , game play and shots.

Um, no on both. Both great games but they shoot and play very differently.

#5512 4 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

I'm not saying that they do, I'm trying to find out ..I have never played Metallica Premium and thought maybe the ramps and sparky shots might feel similar to ramps and vengeance shots.

To me, MET shoots similar to MM, and probably dozens of other games... But really, you just need to get your hands on one to know.

I was really thinking I preferred AC/DC over MET based on videos and suggestions but after playing both, MET was the game for me with no regrets.

#5591 4 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Recently found that the area around the Sparky magnet on my MET Pro LED has started chipping/peeling Seem like I read that others had this problem as well. I haven't contacted Stern yet. I just purchased this in May 2015.

IMG_0119_(resized).JPG

Did you have any mylar on that?

#5646 4 years ago
Quoted from Gorno:

I am making another bad financial decision and have ordered a Metallica!...

Hey, stop right there with that rubbish!

#5669 4 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

I agree with the faster song part, sometimes it seems like it takes forever for it to get going, but this is gonna jack up lady justice mode so for me it's a no no.

Put "And Justice For All" in there. It works perfectly.

2 weeks later
#5925 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

One more song opinion.
Welcome Home (Sanitarium).
or
The Thing That Should Not Be.

Welcome Home is on my game.

2 weeks later
#6078 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I think it's also sad that people can get pissed off about pinball.

Seriously, toughen up people.

4 months later
#7437 3 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Yes, with a ricochet off the edge of the captive ball.

It's especially easy if the ball is rolling back down the flipper.

1 week later
#7648 3 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Lady justice mode: The fact it cuts right into the guts of the solo is more than enough reason to keep it in...at least imo. Otherwise yer gonna get stuck with something in that slot underwhelming.

I have "... and Justice for All" in that slot. It cuts into the ripping solo from AJFA during Lady Justice mode.
Underwhelming? I call that Bad Ass \m/

1 month later
#8172 3 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

So you guys think leaving the block in will nick the balls ? I'm not having that issue...yet. But Ive only put a months worth of games on mine.

No, I think the captive ball is just a bit more consistent. That seems to be the main reason people swap them.

1 year later
#11646 2 years ago

Hey guys,
My snake has a broken fang. Has anyone found a way to glue or reattach an original fang?

#11650 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I don't believe there are any "original fangs" . The snake arrives toothless and looking like a turtle until it is modded.

Mine were on from the factory. They are (were) attached to the upper portion of the head.

Quoted from HankScorpio:

Is your MET one of the original ones that had the snake fangs from the factory?

Yes. Mine is an early run. Pre toothless lizard.

#11652 2 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

I have an original with fangs. One fang broke many moons ago.... It gives him character. I never tried to fix it.

It does make me chuckle. It reminds me of the viper in Secret Life of Pets.

7 months later
#13384 1 year ago

Alright guys, If you were to list your huo pro in great shape with the lightshow mod and spinners running through the mod, what price would you ask? I'm clueless on what one goes for with the added lightshow.

#13388 1 year ago

Thanks guys. I'm potentially just going to hang onto it anyway just wondering if anyone moved one with those upgrades.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Island, NY
$ 93.00
$ 199.99
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
The Flipper Room
$ 15.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hougie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside