51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7243 Magnet removal Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (7 years ago)

Post #8935 Buzzing flippers fix Posted by j_m_ (7 years ago)

Post #19696 Fixing random drop targets dropping Posted by swampfire (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gotaquestion.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8742 7 years ago

That renewal is great news. I've wanted a Metallica for a long time and once my WoZ is paid off, I'm gonna immediately open a new tab and place an order. I was starting to get spooked that NIB Mets wouldn't exist in a month or two though. Can't wait to get one of my own.

2 weeks later
#8851 7 years ago

Stolen, guarantee it. Hard to say exactly whether it was a driver or a dock worker or what, but I can't imagine any alternate scenario.

#8859 7 years ago

It's really impressive just how MANY mods are available for Metallica.

#8867 7 years ago

Greatly looking forward to getting this game, but that seems like a weird way to do settings. Why not just have Music Volume 0-50 and Voice Volume 0-50

#8907 7 years ago

Pinball Refinery does more or less anything you can dream of with Metallica. Can't wait to place my order bring on the tax return

1 month later
#9126 7 years ago

Joining the club suuuuuuper soon! \m/

Putting my order in to Pinball Refinery on Tuesday, and then it'll take about 3-4 more weeks until I can play it because I'm getting it modded to the gills. Then my wife can stop rolling her eyes; I've been talking about getting one for so long. She finally agreed as long as I redo the floors next year fair trade by me!

#9129 7 years ago

Thanks for the heads up! Unfortunately it's missing some mods I want and includes one of the few I don't. I'll just order new, not worried about a price difference really.

#9131 7 years ago

Not really worried, plus historically METs haven't had these problems. The occurrence is way less than 1%. As far as dimples, literally every game gets them. My WoZ has plenty. I was sad when they started to show, but now they're starting to "disappear".

I buy games to have fun, I'm really not looking to nitpick or worry or kill the experience of getting a NIB. Thanks for the concern though.

#9134 7 years ago

And I'd be sad if I got in my car and died in a wreck, which is way more likely than having problems with my Met Pro. I still drive to work every day.

I get that you're just trying to make someone aware, but I know about the Stern issues. It's impossible to come to Pinside and not know that Ghostbusters has issues and there are a few bad BM66 playfields. I am not concerned. I've said such three times now dude. At some point you have to stop raining on my parade. I came to express excitement about finally getting my favorite game of all time and you're being a real downer.

It's not like my WoZRR has been problem free. I've been chasing issues every day for months but I still like it

#9137 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Only thing I had to do was tighten the switch for the snake as it was registering only sporadically.

This is what I've been hearing from several of the recent MET purchasers I've talked to. Minor adjustments, snake switch sometimes a little loose. I'm not afraid of dialing in a game, they all take adjustments out of the box.

I'll put probably 200-300 games into mine the day I get it and report back with results

#9187 7 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

I love the custom message.

Is there an easy way to set those? I don't have mine yet so for all I know it could just be a menu item.

#9290 7 years ago

They're also riding horses in the DMD animations. And there are horse sound callouts. Gotta wonder why it was switched

#9338 7 years ago

Sick! My Refinery Pro got into the shop last week, got an email today that all the metal parts were sent in for powder coating. Bout 3-4 more weeks until I'm officially in the club. The wait is killing me ( ._.) I've watched KME's EOTL video like 10 times.

Post pictures when it arrives! It helps with the waiting haha

#9361 7 years ago

Love that they spelled Metallica wrong.

#9369 7 years ago

Excited for you!!

#9410 7 years ago

Oh, Metallica comes with a goodie bag too? Does it have a little standup sign for your desk? Hope so! That was one of my favorite unexpected surprises from WoZ haha

#9435 7 years ago

End of the Line is multiball

But all the others are single ball. I wish I were more knowledgeable so I could help. I know some other Stern games use an infrared LED ball trough board to handle the kick outs. On Transformers, if this board malfunctions, or the LED or readers are dirty, or the leads need to be reseated, etc. it will kick out two balls into normal play. It seems strange if this is ONLY ever happening in Crank It Up though. In the times I've seen it (never on Metallica), it would be sporadic and not at all dependent on mode.

Edit: The part on TF is Dual Opto Transmitter #515-0173-00, and I see Metallica uses this same part. Page b3 of the manual: http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/games/metallica/pro/421/MTLAB1.PDF

That might be a lead into the issue. It was previously recommended to me to just replace the board if the foil traces are broken. If the connector is loose, just try reseating it. Some people have had to use cable ties to help hold the connector to the board on other games.

#9455 7 years ago

Yep I did the same. I've got all my little protectors and a new metal post and even a topper. Just waiting for my game from Pinball Refinery dying of anticipation!

#9457 7 years ago

I have a dumb question... I've been looking at the lower third of playfields - flippers, inlanes and outlanes, drain, etc. I really like Metallica's double left inlane, but I can't figure out how the hell they fit it all in there. The standard cabinet is 27" wide, Metallica's cabinet is 27" wide. The flipper gap on Metallica seems to be the standard flipper gap.

The standard Stern layout is this: http://pinballmakers.com/wiki/images/9/92/Stern_c_size.pdf

Having trouble figuring out where they squeezed in an extra inlane without changing the flipper gap or making the playfield wider. I'm thinking they shoved the shooter lane all the way to the edge and moved the right flipper assembly over?

If nobody just knows I'll have to just measure my game when it comes haha

#9459 7 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

The slings are adjusted for the difference. I measured the difference between MET/KISS (same) and TSPP.

Ahhhh, so are the slings more narrow, or did they slide them closer together? Maybe a little of each. Thank you for measuring for such a silly question. I'm considering a similar inlane setup for a game I hope to build, so I was wondering how they changed their standard layout to fit the extra inlane in.

#9473 7 years ago

LOST!? That's astounding. Also astounding it's not the first time I've heard of this.

#9475 7 years ago

Man I'm so sorry that happened to you I would not take it well to say the least

#9492 7 years ago

Got word yesterday my Refinery Metallica Pro will be finished next week and hopefully shipping then too. Really hoping to be playing it by next Friday, but I understand if it takes until the following week.

I'm not great at waiting. I've watched Keith Elwin's End of the Line video 10 times since I ordered the game.

#9495 7 years ago

Leper Messiah would be a sweet one too, but I'll probably not mod the game's songs.

#9503 7 years ago

On the other hand - why worry about it. If it's in good condition what does it matter? It's not like being on route magically adds holes and worms to the playfield.

Ignorance might be bliss in this case. If the thing is in good condition, live happy.

#9505 7 years ago

Glad yours was found! I just got these pics from Pinball Refinery, mine ships Monday! Funny I just came to post and you posted at almost the same time, that's excellent news.

Below are two of the pics I was sent. I'll be doing just a few more mods myself when it arrives. I have the snake ramp decal and 3D snake here, the skull insert for inside the coffin, the metal post for the orbit, and a topper I'll put on. Also he's sending along the Creeping Death speaker panel later, I guess the first one the guy sent him was cut wrong. But besides that, crazy stoked.

Met2 (resized).jpgMet2 (resized).jpg
Met1 (resized).jpgMet1 (resized).jpg

#9508 7 years ago

Oh hey, that's a great point. I've literally pressed the coin slot on my WoZ once, just to do it.

#9510 7 years ago

Re: waxing, you don't necessarily have to before the first plays. Some people like to. I put 400 games into my WoZRR before waxing it and it didn't get any wear from having done so. I'll probably do the exact same thing for my Metallica.

#9577 7 years ago

But have you played it yet? XD

#9605 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

First Stern purchase here...and a little shocked to say the least

Welcome to pinball. My WoZRR had tons of issues I had to chase in the first few weeks. Broken springs, doors sticking open, monkey dropping the ball, crystal ball going out. A couple others and one total system reset I never did figure out but it hasn't happened again.

Once you start nailing them down the experience gets a lot smoother though. It seems to be "fix a handful of issues right away, then you get smooth sailing for a good while"... and then random things that are nobody's fault in particular will start happening later on.

#9692 7 years ago

So what was the score on your first game?!

Mine's coming tomorrow. Queue up the longest Wednesday of my life. Thankfully, Pinball Refinery has to lift and move and all-sorts-of-stuff the playfield to do their work so I'm basically worry free. The game has already been set up once so I'll just set it up again tomorrow.

#9710 7 years ago

What cliffs are "required" anyway? I don't have any ordered but could put in an order for a few. I guess I could look back through the thread too but... either way, playing my Metallica tomorrow as soon as I get the legs on. Probably gonna play until I can't anymore.

#9717 7 years ago

Eh. I wouldn't go that far. WoZ absolutely needs the munchkin protector for instance. I wouldn't mind protecting, say, the scoop.

#9729 7 years ago

Taking a break from playing, here she is! Unfortunately phone cameras don't play too well with the LEDs in the dark but I did my best. The first 2 are from Pinball Refinery's work space.

Realizing I don't have any pictures of the topper. But I've got a topper on there now. I'll be doing the snake ramp mod over the weekend, I just wanted to play today. Also have the metal post, and also have the top decals for the lightning rails coming. Not gonna lie, the game is F***ING amazing, but the electric chair mode is almost TOO blinky. I'm hoping the top decals will reduce the seizure risk lmao.

My top score is 174M right now. Have the game at 7 degrees, factory settings for everything.

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg
2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg
4 (resized).JPG4 (resized).JPG
5 (resized).JPG5 (resized).JPG
6 (resized).JPG6 (resized).JPG
3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg

#9731 7 years ago

Thank you! I love those. They glow brighter when the snake is lit too. Grabbed two quick topper pics this morning.

Topper (1) (resized).JPGTopper (1) (resized).JPG

Topper (2) (resized).JPGTopper (2) (resized).JPG

#9735 7 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Make sure also you add Timebandit's Total Lightshow mod though.

Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Where can you get the snake eyes or is that a custom mod you did?

Hey guys! A little about the mods I chose. The snake eyes mod was from Pinball Refinery, so I'm not sure if there's a kit available somewhere. Their site (changed to mipinballrefinery.com) would be the best spot to check.

There are several light packages in there, but I can talk to Steve and see if he knows how the Total Lightshow mod will play.

Physically there's of course the powdercoated armor, hinges, lockdown bar, apron, legs, coin door, return habitrails, and actually the internal support rails. The flipper bats are purple chrome and the shooter rod and leg bolts are also chromed. Then there are the UV reactive pinblades and the spinners.

For lights, beyond what I mentioned there are also additional Sparky lights, the lightning rails, UV lights for the pinblades and UV lights for the exterior sides of the cabinets. Flashers in the apron. All the LEDs are color upgraded, there's interactive speaker LEDs, additional snake and scoop LEDs (including the snake eyes), and undercab lighting.

Basically the only thing I didn't do for now was a custom painted Sparky. I couldn't think of something I'd want him painted as forever. Plus, to be honest, I kind of like the default Sparky. We'll see if I can think of something I'd rather have him look like down the line.

#9772 7 years ago

IMG_9678 (resized).JPGIMG_9678 (resized).JPG

#9775 7 years ago

Because I don't want my real initials on Pinside? Because this is the internet and I prefer keeping a degree of privacy and separation.

#9778 7 years ago

I thought he was pointing out that he's selling a factory protector. To me that would suggest he DEFINITELY wants to keep that one.

#9780 7 years ago

Because that's cheating. That's my actual high score, I just don't want my personal info online. It's weird that people are weirded out about this. Some people like to put their whole lives online others don't. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#9782 7 years ago

WOW is just a word I put in there. I used GAQ because some people have used that in posts to refer to me. I'll just see if the mods can remove it though. I was just excited to share and this turned into a whole lot of work and worry.

#9785 7 years ago

Yeah. I guess it IS a little weird. I have a lot of anxiety and irrational things like changing your initials is a hallmark anxiety behavior

Sorry dudes.

#9787 7 years ago

I know. I just feel a little stupid. But I could have way bigger problems in life right!?

Among other minor problems, my left slingshot sometimes fires when my right flipper does. I think a pop might be too. I'm assuming I should be looking for wires touching somewhere to troubleshoot?

If it helps, I'm spontaneously awarded 170 points when it happens, even during song select.

#9789 7 years ago

I'll check those out! Thanks for the lead.

#9803 7 years ago

Unrelated to recent stuff but

I've put 260 games on my NIB Metallica since Thursday and I'm happy to report no ghosting, chipping, or anything of that sort. Was a playfield manufactured in Nov of 2016.

Granted that's early in the life of a pinball machine, but with some recent playfields starting to ghost or chip at 20 plays, this seemed like a decent mention.

#9820 7 years ago

I feel like plastic would maybe bounce back more when hit as well, whereas metal might result in a "deader" transfer of the ball's energy. I'm no physicist though.

#9827 7 years ago

I love how the mystery always rolls past Light Extra Ball to something dumb like +1 Coffin or +2 Bonus.

#9831 7 years ago

I feel like having a good CIU and then hitting FUEL for a 2X exit jackpot is the key. You can get jackpots at 200-300M+ this way. The trick of course is actually doing it.

#9835 7 years ago

Coffin must be started first.

I read his post as "Start Coffin, then start one of the others."

#9841 7 years ago

He means the outlane posts that every game has. Funny enough I couldn't find a flipper pic in google that had both, but one is circled here.

Metallica_pinball_flippers (resized).jpgMetallica_pinball_flippers (resized).jpg

#9844 7 years ago

With how often the ball STILL just rolls across the tops of the lane guides, I wouldn't feel too bad about it. The amount of spin the ball gets (and maintains) on this game is nuts!

#9849 7 years ago

Yeah, I have to say, the FUEL double scoring doesn't seem to work how I thought it did. I thought hitting the targets to spell FUEL was supposed to light double scoring, and then a shot to the target inside the Fuel Lane would start 2x, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Or maybe I'm missing the 2x callout.

#9866 7 years ago

Hmmm. I was going to say you technically need to escape at least two safely, but if you got two extra balls you could theoretically just immediately drain out of all 4 CIUs.

That's a funny thought to me.

#9887 7 years ago

I notice that during multiball, my snake doesn't actually hold the ball during 2x scoring from the snake. The DMD says "Ball Locked, 2x scoring for 20 seconds" and then the snake spits the ball back out. Is this an adjustment, and does anyone happen to know which number? I guess technically it could be an advantage, more balls to make shots with, but I think I'd prefer to play it by factory settings if possible.

Not sure why it would have been switched anyway unless Steve at PR did it haha

#9889 7 years ago

I have a pro. I didn't know that was the default on the pro! I assumed it worked the same on both games. Hmm. I think it makes more sense for me to change it still. I can see advantages to both sides. One way there's more balls to make shots with, the other I have one less ball to worry about cradling. As a control player I guess I'd like to have it lock.

Thanks!

#9891 7 years ago

Less balls to worry about. If you only had two you can essentially have a single ball multiball = better accuracy and less flailing.

#9900 7 years ago

I do every 400 plays. This is, mind you, still well before I see any dirt trails forming. But it's proactive, but not so proactive that I'm annoying doing it every week.

#9902 7 years ago

I got royally ripped off by Metallica today. Was 1 shot away from completing For Whom The Bell Tolls, started 2X scoring annnnnnd... the ball comes out of the Fuel dead-end, bounces off the lane guide, and right down the outlane. Missed what would have been a 200M jackpot.

I raged and was tilted for about fifteen games. I don't think I've ever been that mad at pinball before.

#9904 7 years ago

No I'm aware haha and it's fine. I thought that over too. Would have been a great GC. Was ball 1. I basically tilted out the following two balls after that and then played like ass for the next tons of games.

#9932 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Does anybody sell metal aprons for Metallica? I must say I was in shock when I realized it was just plastic!

That explains why my powder coated apron cost so much. It's metal so I guess PR just throws the old apron out XD

2 weeks later
#10251 7 years ago

Unrelated to magnets, but after getting stuck in the mid 200Ms for a long time I finally threw a 390M GC onto my Metallica last night. Feels good man. Completed FWTBT and got the hell outta there fast, had a decent Fade to Black, and unfortunately an aweful Enter Sandman but still digging the new GC.

#10256 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Don't you love it! Nothing is more satisfying in this game than getting the fuel x2 multiplier and then hitting CIU and completing it to cash out for a double jackpot. Just happened to me the other night and it was a bit over 70mil jackpot.

I have a love/hate with that fuel double jackpot XD
It feels amazing when you make it... but I drained a 100M CIU jackpot with fuel scoring on while trying to make that shot. It rejected on the scoop SDTM. Watching 200M drain hurt. I think I even posted about it some weeks ago (edit: I did). I'm not sure I'll get over it until I make a 200M jackpot lmao

That drain has become sort of a fish-that-got-away legend for me.

1 month later
#10616 6 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

I got royally ripped off by Metallica today. Was 1 shot away from completing For Whom The Bell Tolls, started 2X scoring annnnnnd... the ball comes out of the Fuel dead-end, bounces off the lane guide, and right down the outlane. Missed what would have been a 200M jackpot.
I raged and was tilted for about fifteen games. I don't think I've ever been that mad at pinball before.

Just popping in to say I've finally redeemed myself from this moment. Played a while yesterday and completed FWTBT, hit the 2x playfield, and cashed out a 175M jackpot. Not quite 200M but the total for the mode was over 200 so I felt good about it. Not to mention the extra points collected from the after-mode cash ins. Ended up putting up a new GC of 450M. Now to pass 500...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 149.00
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gotaquestion.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread?tu=gotaquestion and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.