Topic Stats

• 16,917 posts
  • 951 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 hours ago by DaveH
  • Topic is favorited by 362 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,874 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

944ED964-8F82-404F-A095-CAB0DCD9383D (resized).jpeg
7FA19559-CBD0-4C75-857C-09E37563B632 (resized).jpeg
20191127_173238 (resized).jpg
IMG_4838 (resized).JPG
20191102_232801 (resized).jpg
B37D4A93-7389-4E67-89C1-E0CA273E05D7 (resized).jpeg
867D6ECA-1374-4625-8C81-8D285482D93F (resized).jpeg
9AD0BED3-F233-40F4-946D-148F96BA06F9 (resized).jpeg
2E26B847-FAFD-43C3-AB6B-9C6A6468FDC3 (resized).jpeg
21D28BDA-F70F-4819-A77F-6F29E95BA5C6 (resized).jpeg
AE54BDEC-98AA-4CC8-9BBD-0FBE9ACB53EF (resized).jpeg
D3336573-8999-4174-8052-AB5D1A1957CE (resized).jpeg
B1ABE7EA-4853-421E-93B6-2856C9C18205 (resized).jpeg
6964778C-0F81-42C3-AC72-83AEC78B3618 (resized).jpeg
FB_IMG_1574345173537 (resized).jpg
20191121_190619 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dnapac.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8660 3 years ago

Joining the cool kids of the Met pros with a monsters premium translite...expensive, but worth it!

IMG_0076 (resized).JPG

2 months later
#9099 2 years ago

Got a question. I bought my Met Pro in August 2016. It has about 2500 plays...yes I love to play it. I've noticed some damage in the shooter lane from the ball being kicked out. Not on the rail side, but the opposite side in the lane itself. Can I do anything about this. I've never seen a cliffhanger/etc. for this area.

IMG_0095 (resized).JPG

6 months later
#11300 2 years ago

Ok, I own a Met pro. Tonight my wife and I were playing in tournament mode and she drained the ball SDTM and she had both flippers up. The ball was cruising and it immediately kicked out the next ball into the shooter lane (no delay). It was my turn but my chosen song wasn't playing. It played Kirks solo from Phantom Lord off Kill 'em All. We were a little confused as to how it happened and what was going on. After 15-20 seconds it switched to seek and destroy. Anyone had this happen. We haven't been able to reproduce it.

#11316 2 years ago
Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

Thats odd. Did it give her the bonus on the display? I wonder if the ball that drianed was moving so fast that the balls in the trough acted like newton balls and popped the last one into shooter lane??? Then the game got confused??? Seems unlikely, but who knows? Strange things happen.

It acted like that (a newton ball) but switched players. After playing Kirks solo it switched to seek and destroy (not the song I chose) and switched to my player. I assume it was some combo that the coders put in to do this...like an Easter egg...but we can't reproduce it. Only way we knew what was being played is because my wife is such a metal head she recognized the song.

#11317 2 years ago
Quoted from shelby1000:

Do you know if they have another Premium? I want to get one soon just trying to decide if I want to do the Refinery Edition or not.

I have a Refinery Edition Pro. Used the money saved from not buying the premium to trick out the pro. The Refinery guys are great to work with. Would highly recommend! I even found someone on here to sell me a premium translite to make it a Promium

#11321 2 years ago
Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

Sounds more like a bug or glitch then a easter egg. Very strange.

Bug, glitch...it was unexpected. Coders must have been toying with that sound. Just wondering if anyone else has had this...and if so, how to access it.

#11323 2 years ago
Quoted from jorant:

So anyone wanna chime in on the total light show mod for metallica pro? I've watched videos and it seems like the lights go back a LOT. Almost too much. Also it seems like every shot is a celebration. I wanted this, but now I'm unsure. Can I get some people's thoughts on this?

Which one? If your talking about the UV strips that light up the sides, it is bright, but I feel very worth it. Although, in a very dark room it does make it hard to follow the ball if it's going nuts.

#11325 2 years ago
Quoted from shelby1000:

Does anyone have the Pingraffix Metallica PowerBladez installed on their Metallica? The ones with the electro-luminisoity. I'm going to be ordering a premium soon probably with refinery and I would like to have that mod in my game instead of the standard decal side art. I've seen the youtube videos and they look great but would just like to hear from some who currently have it in their game.

I have a Refinery Edition Met pro with Pingrafixx PowerBladez set. Highly recommend

#11354 2 years ago
Quoted from shelby1000:

Ok so now I've been hearing about potential playfield issues with Metallaca? Does anybody have any info on this as to what they are and which ones are likely to have them? Or if it something that is really a non-issue. There doesn't seem to be too many people mentioning this for Metallica compared to others like Ghostbusters but I want to make sure. I'm getting ready to purchase a NIB Metallica Premium soon and don't want any negative surprises.

I have a Met Pro with a playfield from April 2016. I have 4-5 inserts with a little ghosting. As I understand, the clear coat process changed (within the last few years) and that process makes it more likely to ghost/chip. It sounds like it went to a water based clear for safety reasons. Any field at any time can experience this. I've read about replacement fields that have ghosted as well. If it becomes a serious problem, I have seen Stern stand behind it and correct the problem for that individual. I'm not defending anyone or the process, just the way it is. Stern is not the only one having this problem as well. My game plays like a dream. It bugged me at first, and I am a little concerned how it will hold up in the future, but I'm having too much fun playing it. If you want/demand perfection, or this concerns your too much, then you shouldn't be buying a pin right now. I love to play. As long as it doesn't affect that, I'm good...but that's just me. To me, this is not an investment, it's a toy. I will sell it down the road for half what I paid, but in the mean-time I plan to have a blast playing it.

#11357 2 years ago
Quoted from JB-7X:

I've owned my met premium for about a month now and pretty much everything has been smooth sailing but I am however a first time pin owner and I'm now having an issue with my GI lighting.
It was starting to flicker/ strobe a bit here and there at random times, usually right after a ball launch. After clocking around 500 plays so far I knew it wasn't normal. Yesterday when I fired up my game I had absolutely zero GI lights. All my insert lighting is functional but all of my white lights are out. Anyone able to point me in the direction of where to trouble shoot this issue?

Check all connections to boards. Sounds like a loose connection that finally came undone. Also check the fuses. Look up the manual on Sterns site and it should give you insight as to which one(s). Sorry I don't know it off the top of my head.

#11390 2 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

I'm in the process of trying to tone down my shaker as well. Too intense on the sparky multiball.
People have talked about setting the weights at 90 degrees but that's not an option on mine. I might try to put something under it.
Will post when I get around to it.

Isn't there a setting in the Service Menu? I could be wrong and it's just an on/off setting and not a strength setting.

2 weeks later
#11515 2 years ago

If your willing to pay a premium price, one of these pros is like no other. Totally worth it. I have one. mipinballrefinery.com

2 weeks later
#11606 2 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

I added my custom topper tonight. I pre-ordered the Metallica Pops! as soon as I saw they were coming out. My only disappointment is that they aren't bobble heads, instead they are fixed. I was hoping for the headbanging when the shaker fires I plan to add an led strip below them and facing them to give a spotlight effect. Will see how it comes out.

Just got the same ones for my topper! Looks good.

1 month later
#11805 2 years ago

Ok, I'm getting a replacement field for my ghosted Met Pro. I've had this pin for a little over a year, and it has some decent ghosting and has been slowly getting worse and new inserts are being affected. I really didn't push hard for this, but am very grateful and feel better about having the replacement. The reason I didn't push for this is I have a Refinery edition (heavily modified), and am a little intimidated about the transfer of the mods. For the people who have replaced the field (excluding any mods), is it pretty straight forward? Just curious on the main process...number of connectors in the box, any grounds I need to worry about, is anything in the back box I need to worry about? I'm not shy about most things with working on pins, but I suck at soldering (I'm too shaky). Any info on the process is appreciated.

#11807 2 years ago

For those who have received replacement playfields. I have a quite a few mods (custom Sparky, snake head with LED eyes, colored leds, and more). I plan to remove these things before I send the damaged playfield back. Does Stern care if Sparky,etc is missing. I've told Pat Powers what I'm gonna do, but he hasn't responded. I assume they don't care...as the playfield will probably be dumped. Just curious for those who have been through this.

#11809 2 years ago

Like, you just opened it? Either way. Those decals are easy to replace. Contact Stern and I'm sure they will have no problem sending you a replacement.

#11812 2 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Yes, this game is not mine but it was JUST opened (NIB) and now only has a few plays on it. The decal on the coin door also said "STAR TREK" and not "Metallica". The decals are coming off on both sides.

Wow! I'd keep the "Star Trek". In 10 years may be worth more due to mistake. Either way. Easy to fix, and I'm sure Stern will send you replacements.

#11827 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I’m in the middle of this. The worst part is getting the harness to go from the head to the cab if you don’t remove the wire holders.
Most the plugs come off the boards in the head. And get removed with the pf. New pf comes and the mod swap takes a bit but the new pf mounts and plugs in. However! My switch harness didn’t align so I called and they are shipping some adapter.... see how that goes. Otherwise my met pro is sitting with an attact mode and nothing else... no switches work

Spent all day pulling mods off. That's done, and I looked at the wiring Any advice of how to get the harnesses from the cab to the head. I want to keep the wire holders on if possible. Don't need a knotted spaghetti mess. I thought the installation wouldn't be that bad...now, I'm not so sure.

Any advice is welcome...but I think I'm seeing it. A lot of planning and moving slow. Tons of pics and videos. I'm so looking forward to the new playfield, and even though this is a pain, I'm thankful Stern took care of me.

#11829 2 years ago

Before I do something stupid, I am in the middle of unhooking the playfield from the boards in the head. Was going well until it seems some of the wire groups have other wire groups going through them. I could disconnect everything, but that's gonna be a huge pain to disconnect and pull all the wires out, and then rerun the wires that aren't part of the playfield. Is it wrong to clip the wires connected to the playfield at the harness (connector), thus each wire is individual and will come out easy. I understand that all the harness would have to be reconnected if the playfield ever is going to be used again...but I assume that Stern is just gonna throw these playfields away. Any advice?

#11831 2 years ago

I didn't cut the wires. Just kept going. Damn! This is more work than I thought, but done. Next is send it off, and then the fun begins putting the new playfield back in. Spike may have its issues, but a SAM playfield swap is not an easy thing to do. I watched a Spike (GB) playfield swap and that looked like a piece of cake.

IMG_0152 (resized).JPG

#11837 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Mmm glad you didn’t cut the wires. I had to loosen the left board, slide up, then could get more connectors out. Also I think I had to cut many zip ties to open up wire bundles. Putting it back was not nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be, but it also isn’t a tight neat harness now.
Your pf ships and about 3-4 days it usually gets there then they like super ship your new on on a pallet. So you’ll probably get a call from a driver

Thanks for your help. I keep going over everything in my mind...feel like I took too much out, but that’s the way it was. I even reopened it and ran the wires again this morning...all looked correct. Should get the box any day now and it’ll get shipped back to Stern. Hopefully get the new one and all installed in the next week or 2.

#11870 2 years ago

Playfield is packaged up and will go out tomorrow. Hopefully new playfield in a week or so. I miss playing Metallica.

#11872 2 years ago

Is that a pro or premium. I just took out my playfield (almost everything in the backbox), and didn't have anything like this.

#11876 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

So had league at my house and my new met pf will not register ball drains. If you mess with the trough switches it finally goes but never when a ball drains.
I put it in switch test and all the switches seem to work just fine....

Try to increase slope degrees slightly to get the balls to drain completely, or make sure it's leveled side to side...just starting with the easy changes.

#11878 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I’ll have to Get my level out, but every time I opened the coin door they were all clicked as closed. I’d trip 4,3,3 and pop the 1 plunger and it keep doing that and something would trigger it :/

Hmmm, not sure. Check the level, but with mine out of commission, I can't check things for you. Let me know if still having problems in a few days. Hopefully settles in after more games. And make sure the screws to the trough are set and the switch is set tight, if the game switch seems correct, but it's really a bit loose and not triggering completely this may be it.

#11883 2 years ago

I'll have to look at the manual, but I think there are some dip switches on one of the boards to tell it what country you're in. Maybe you accidentally changed this when installing the new code.

#11886 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Thank you. Will double check right now.

See page 36-37 of the manual on Stern's site. Hope this helps.

#11913 2 years ago
Quoted from Golferron54:

Metallica Premium Mystery Scoop dead ... and a mystery on how to fix. My Mystery scoop as it does not kick out all all, and not during ball search. I tried looking for the Mystery scoop on the solenoid test mode to get it to fire and could not find it - so I ran all the solenoid tests and it never fired.
I checked for broken wires ... maybe I missed something in the picture?
Suggestions on how to find and fix this mystery very much appreciated!
ron

Check the fuses. Oh, and I think the mystery scoop coil is "right eject". See if that's in the menu.

#11922 2 years ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

I just recently installed the cliffy protector in the mystery hole of my pro and now it seems to reject shots to it. It has to be a very direct shot and it will go in, but it seems harder, it seems like it gets rejected more than it should. Anybody else experience this effect?

I installed a cliffy on the mystery hole of my pro, after about a year of play, and it seems no different. No weird rejects.

#11926 2 years ago

My replacement field comes tomorrow!! Then the fun of putting it in and re-installing all my mods. Can't wait to play my Met pro again!!

#11930 2 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

Really enjoying the pin2dmd display on my Met Pro!

Really cool. I looked this up and am a little apprehensive. Afraid I'll order the wrong parts. How much did it cost you, and how difficult was installation?

#11936 2 years ago

Got the new playfield! Thanks Pat and Stern! Now to hook it up. I’ll post more pics. So far the playfield looks awesome!

535D77B5-62CE-4C4E-98F0-7B2CFA775862 (resized).jpeg

8A959675-076E-44E2-A4E1-B3DBCB43390C (resized).jpeg

02A3BF70-168A-4F08-B8BB-2094366F3D09 (resized).jpeg

A30F9239-73C8-4719-84AB-CD1FD0F2DE10 (resized).jpeg

0D421BF3-261B-4D54-A69A-8757E3562931 (resized).jpeg

#11939 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeTangoIndia:

Sooooo not to be a party pooper (I’m super excited you got your play field) BUT......where is the second Newton ball?!

No worries. It fell out when it was shipped. Was in the box. Luckily it didn't bounce around and damage anything. When I packed my old playfield the same ball fell out. The plastic above it is super bendy and when I tilted the playfield it just fell out. One of many things I have to put back.

#11946 2 years ago

The LEDs can pop out. One of my front spot lights was loose and I just had to make sure the lamp was seated tight. Some people have even put a small dab of hot glue, to hold the lamp in place, if the socket is really loose.

Not sure about your question. If you mean the left ramp...hitting the ramps will give you letters METALLICA to advance to lady justice. Hitting ramps (or any shot with a red arrow spider insert) will also change the flashing spider inserts so you can advance to seek and destroy.

#11949 2 years ago

Ramp or orbit (not a ramp)? Orbit has a post at the top that is sometime up, sometimes down...depending on where it is in the game. The left ramp shouldn't have a post. Could you include a pic?

#11958 2 years ago

New playfield in and hooked up. Unfortunately I need the switch harness adapter like northvibe and I removed the wires in the grey sheath that go from the playfield to the back of the speakers (surprised that’s all I messed up ). Gotta wait a few more days to play.

6B25FEC6-49C0-4CAB-9315-026ED2BEC015 (resized).jpeg

3AE83EB1-922E-46C1-A4D4-979BDEE34336 (resized).jpeg

5ACB48DD-C330-4B95-BD9E-A158034602D8 (resized).jpeg

81BD76E8-95AE-4085-90DD-5457FB091023 (resized).jpeg

#11962 2 years ago

So, I did a dumb thing (see above) and cut wires to various spots on the playfield. The wires were sheathed in grey (red, white, green, black), and connect right behind the speakers. This grey sheathed group of wires then go into the speakers. Stern will get me wires to hook up, but does anyone know what they do? I went through the manual and couldn't figure it out. On the playfield, individual wires are soldered to flashers...this seems weird to me on why these would connect to the speakers.

Nevermind, I figured it out. This has nothing to do with stern...this is my speaker light mod. Now to figure out how to get another wire and connector.

#11992 2 years ago

Got the harness adapter. All hooked up and game plays perfect. No adjustments needed. I’ve added a few of my mods, but have a lot more to add. Thanks to Pat, Chas, Stern, and Steve from Pinball Refinery. This was way above my head, but was able to do it with your help. Stern stood behind my pin and made all right at their expense, can’t expect more. Also thanks to those on pinside that helped me...this is what pinside is all about.

1EDDC8BA-3F2F-440E-954F-B7874DA1754F (resized).jpeg

#11995 2 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

Best thing you can do to this game is paint Sparky, also need to replace the instructions cards.

I have a custom painted Sparky to put in, but I'd love some cool instruction cards. Any idea where I can get them, or better yet, print them out. I printed out some from a pinsider for my SW and they look great.

#12002 2 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Anyone know who sells the extended sparky plastic? Mine broke.

If you can find one without the spider web in it, I would get that one. I had a yellow spider web one, and it eventually cracked along on of the webs. I now have a green one with the web design, but wish I would've gone with one without the design. I suspect the web design makes weak spots in the plastic and thus more prone to crack with enough ball deflections.

You can find them here.

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_74&products_id=630&zenid=e5a82d5f62c8ac1293ac3f2c5fa8b4b7

#12007 2 years ago

I recently took my custom sparky off to replace my playfield. His feet are pretty beat up, but the most concerning part is there is a crack in one of them that will soon cause a chunk to fall off. I can reinforce this with resin/epoxy, but I was wondering if anyone has ideas on protecting the feet. I don't want to get 3 years down the road and have a footless sparky.

#12009 2 years ago
Quoted from jefryan:

What about gluing some thin rubber to each toe? I just got my machine in the last two weeks but plan to remove the sparkster and give him a proper paint job of some sort. I was thinking of doing this myself after seeing some of the pictures of beat up feet in this thread.

I thought about that, and think I'll try it, unless some out there has more success with something else.

#12012 2 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

After I painted Sparky I spray a couple layers of this clear coat over him. I don't know how strong it is or how long it will last, but I have had it on Sparky for over a year and no chipping or cracking yet!
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Testors-Spray-Paint-Dullcote-Clear-3-oz/22056097

Thanks for the info! My custom sparky has clear on it, but not sure what. My wife (who does artsy things and paints), is gonna paint the original sparky that came with the new playfield and was asking me what clear to use...Thanks!

#12014 2 years ago
Quoted from jefryan:

Has anyone purchased the backalleycreations custom pinballs for their game? Just curious if these are only used for the captive ball or if anyone has actually used them for regular game play as well. http://www.backalleycreations.com/metallica%20mods.html
They look super cool. Thanks in advance.

They look cool, but 2 concerns. 1) they are grade 25...not sure, but I don't think these are good with magnets. 2) With how much black there is, I wonder if it would be hard to see the ball at times as it zooms around the playfield.

#12020 2 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

No prob, let me know if you have any other questions when painting Sparks, me and my wife had a lot of fun painting him!

I'm not the artist, but my wife has some questions. 1) Did you prime him first...or do any prep (lightly sand him). 2) What paints are best. She usually is into spray paints. She assumes some sort of artist paint, but what did you use. 3) will small artist brushes be ok for the finer detailes? We don't have an airbrush. 4). If we want to do any sculpting, do you know what works best.

Thanks for all your help. Really fun to look through all the custom Sparky's and get ideas. I like the one I had someone do for me, but look forward to doing ourselves.

#12023 2 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

I dabble in painting miniatures so I have a lot of supplies for painting already. This is what I did:
1) Yep, I removed him and primed him with white, I did not sand him I just washed him with a soap and water before priming with this https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Corax-White-Spray-Global
2) I used mainly Citadel paints, but they are pricey, I think you could get away with what you already have.
3)That's what I used
4)Can't help you with that, I haven't worked with sculpting medium; yet.
Good Luck!

Thanks. Appreciate the info! Will have fun customizing Sparky.

#12024 2 years ago

Getting there. I have most mods on and leds changed, but need to hook up the lighted mods (solder...I suck at it). spinny-vinny made me my latest mod. I think the snake skeleton along the right ramp is awesome!

43331B2C-F327-483B-B1BC-4FC5C65D1666 (resized).jpeg

#12026 2 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

Hey you should change your rule cards out to something a little nicer. Just do a quick search and you should find something nice.

Yup. On my list for today. I have a link to some I'll print out on photo paper.

#12036 2 years ago

Ok, I'm getting lots put back on the new playfield. I got the lighted snake eyes and the graveyard lighted arch hooked up. I cheated. I have this basic 20 watt soldering iron...and it sucks. So I resorted to putting alligator clips on the wires. I have a shaker and am worried about trouble with the clips falling off. Any recommends on a good soldering iron? I have a nasty intention tremor (I look steady until the last second when I'm holding something long and doing fine work). This doesn't mesh well with a hot iron and tight spaces. Shortest iron possible, or a good alternative...any ideas?

#12044 2 years ago

The blinking (spider arrows) just shows you what group of inserts is active (electricity, cross, snake). You have to hit each of these shots while that spider arrow is blinking. Then hit the fully activated group to get the hurry-up and finally hit the ball lock to complete. Repeat the process until all spider arrow groups are lit and you start seek and destroy.

#12074 2 years ago
Quoted from Gerrard17:

I put pictures a few pages back too. I got it NIB and got a replacement through my distributor. Definitely worth the question if it's under 12 months old...

I recently had to replace my playfield because of ghosting (thankful Stern stood behind it and sent me a new one). I had a custom painted Sparky I took off before sending the old playfield back. They sent a completely populated playfield...including an original Sparky (now I have an extra). The paint on the feet of the custom Sparky is beat up (not surprising), but what really concerned me was the amount of cracking of the old Sparky's feet. One was just about to crack in half. I reinforced them with glue, but don't know how long that will last. We need to brainstorm as to how to protect his feet from the metal ball. I think this will become a major problem as the Metallica machines age. I thought about clear bumpers or plastics around the feet, but haven't tries anything. Another thought is a Cliffy (not sure he's watching this) to protect his feet.

#12076 2 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Wow. I never knew Stern would replace a playfield that is fully populated. Is this normal practice when there is a problem? I always thought if they sent a playfield it was unpopulated. I have no issues on mine, just curious.

If they replace the playfield, I think it's always populated. They have a hit and miss reputation, but I had nothing but a good experience. I had emailed Pat at Stern, prior to sending my old playfield back, that I was taking my custom Sparky off...he didn't respond...but I did it anyway. It was totally populated. I think Stern is starting to step up and make things right. Competition is good, and JJP, Spooky, CGC, etc. are all good for pinball. My recommend is, don't only email, but call Stern...the number on their web site, and you will get a better response. Also, don't be a demanding a$$hole. Honey attracts more bees than vinegar.

1 week later
#12117 2 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Has anyone every compared artwork on the original games, and the newer ones, say 2015? I have an original LE, and the artwork on the playfield is so much clearer than the newer pro. This pro also has issues with the cabinet decals shrinking, but that is a different problem. See pictures attached.
Second pic is the pro, colors washed out pretty bad on the faces.

My replacement field has heavier blacks than my original. I think this is just variation that is normally gonna happen between when they are using colors from one lot vs. another.

#12129 2 years ago
Quoted from jefryan:

So here’s my newly installed PinStadium lights on my Pro. I’m still playing around with the colors and brightness but these make a HUGE difference and make playing more enjoyable.
Scott is also a great dude who is top notch when it comes to customer service. He took time out of his Saturday to help me troubleshoot some issues I was having. I’ll be ordering one for my Kiss machine very soon.

Looks good! I love seeing how others have customized their Met.

#12143 2 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Thanks to everyone for suggestions on how to get the LED out of the ball trough. I ended up using the jeweler's screwdriver to push the ball to the drain hole and managed to get that out. I tried doing the same with the LED bulb, but it was stuck from that angle, so I lifted the playfield 90 degrees and it fell out (and somehow landed on the floor - not sure how...). Put everything back together and was back in business!
I might have to try out the idea of wrapping tape around the bulb to keep it in the socket, as this is the second time a bulb has come out in the last month.

A dab of hot glue at the base of the bulb where it meets the socket will hold it in place too.

#12145 2 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

Put my first plays on a NIB Premium last night, and one of those bulbs came out after about 15 games. I remembered this post as it was rolling toward the trough! Caught it in time.
To fix, I put a small RING of hot glue around the base, instead of a dab. Too much, you think?

I don’t think that will hurt. I think hot glue is pretty inert with electronics...I’ve seen it on connectors, boards, etc.

#12171 1 year ago

Ever since I replaced my playfield, and reinstalled my mods, I’ve had trouble with my snake teeth falling out. I loosen the screw in the snakes mouth and slide the teeth between the metal plate and the head/gums and tighten the screw. It stays put for a couple dozen games and then the screw falls out and the teeth are next. I thought about using loctite, but didn’t think that was a good idea since it’s too permanent. Any thoughts on how to get the screw to stay put.

#12175 1 year ago
Quoted from j_m_:

blue loctite can be removed without any heat, but it sounds to me like you like the screw isn't getting set properly if it's falling out

Possibly. When I removed the original head (lighted eyes) from the original field, the screw set in the head came out. I had to remove the screw set from the new head (from the replacement field) and mount it in my modded (eyes led head). I glued the mount in the led head, but it may be not optimum. I didn’t know if a tape, like gorilla glue tape, would be better to help the screw and teeth stay in place, or if loctite would be better. A very unique situation.

1 week later
#12224 1 year ago
Quoted from EEE:

I could not find any info on a growing issue that I have with the Mystery kickout. It goes sdtm too often on our machine.
I have a cliffy scoop protector from day one and I am now at a few hundred plays.
Are there any adjustments that can be made to the kickout itself?
Thanks

I watched a live video with Steve Ritchie talking about the new SW. lots of people have had probs with the right kickout going SDTM. He explained to make sure the scoop edges are really parallel to the playfield cutout. You will have to loosen a few screws for this. For Met, they are under the playfield. Try loosen them, slightly adjust the scoop, tighten them, and then play 20 games or so to see if that helps. Just a thought.

4 weeks later
#12360 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Guys how are you protecting the white paint bring chipped from sparkys feet? I feel like mine can't continue to take his too much longer without coming off

I don’t think you can. Takes a lot of abuse. I thought about painting it red (where chipped, like bloood) but have been vetoed by my wife...still might do it

1 week later
#12426 1 year ago

Will install my color dmd lcd tomorrow...I think the smooth of lcd I will love. Led is good, but I like lcd. We’ll see tomorrow. So stoked!

#12429 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

Someone said the LCD version of ColorDMD is smaller now and doesn't stick up above the speaker panel?

I just installed the LCD ColorDMD and the screen does stick up above the speaker panel. It doesn’t affect the appearance or function, so no problems. The LCD is expensive, but definitely worth it!

#12441 1 year ago

I’m sure this has been said before, but the LCD ColorDMD is the best mod you can put on your Met. Super easy to install and adds so much to the game play. The graphics are incredible, and I find the display so much more useful. Yes, it’s kinda expensive, but I can’t believe I waited this long before pulling the trigger. This is a must upgrade!

2 weeks later
#12546 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Question for the group: I'm getting back into some Metallica mod ideas, and one thing I might do while tinkering for my personal game at least is design a topper around my spare Sparky. He's just sitting on top of my game right now, I'd like to make it cooler.
How many people have extra Sparkys, and would anyone else want something that integrated theirs into a topper? Just not sure how common it is, I know when I painted mine I got it extra, and so I have the stock one still.

When my playfield was replaced it came with one, and I had pulled my custom one from the original playfield...so I have an extra stock Sparky. I think using him as a topper would cool. What do you have in mind?

2 weeks later
#12727 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Well Murphys law strikes! Just when I'm saying how troublefree the hammer is, I burn out fuse 7 for the 5th time in 3 years. It seems to be a very rare problem with only a couple other owners reporting it, but it actually has nothing to do with the hammer itself it's the magnet. Just this time the hammer magnet was being energized and it just held the ball until the fuse blew, it's happened on Sparky as well. I'm not an electrical genius or Pinball Wizard so I'm not quite sure how to troubleshoot it but again it's only happened 5 times in 3 years and seems to be very rare occurance!! Best pin ever still!!!!

Just replace the fuse...that’s why they are there. And, enjoy the pin!

#12729 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I actually started this thread 4 years ago. I have replaced the fuse, but I didnt pay attention to the fix. Sounds like the transistor can be bad. Taking a look tomorrowish.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magnets-not-working-on-met-le

I suck at soldering...so I’d just keep a fuse on hand for the once a year change...either way, a great pin. Good luck, on a great pin.

#12744 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

About the same as any NIB Stern, seems like all machines have their issues but the support from Stern and/or my distributor have been outstanding.
The good:
This is my favorite Stern release since LOTR! (subjective)
Near perfect registration on the playfield and no defects that I've seen (crossing fingers on this one)
The Bad:
Right head decal was peeling out of the box - replaced by Stern
The heatsink, screws, and washers (for the additional bridge rectifier installed in Premiums and LE's ) were floating around in the shipping container. This was corrected before powering on the machine.
The UGLY:
It appears there is a design problem with the coffin magnet controller board (LE/Premium only) that makes this a high failure item. All non-Stern suppliers of this board are out of stock as of today and mine failed in the first couple months; I've only had this machine since late November. I have my replacement board from Stern, which I promptly received by contacting my distributor after Stern failed to ship it in a reasonable time (3 weeks). The only other MET I play is on location at the Operating Room in West Des Moines, IA.; the owner there has replaced this board twice and 2 weeks ago I set the coffin magnet to disabled since he keeps blowing the magnet fuse, presumably due to a failure or the 3rd magnet board.

That’s why it wasn’t working. I have a Met Pro, but have never played the premium and was looking forward to the coffin/hammer. My wife and I only put a couple plays on it due to the magnet problems. We’ll have to go back sometime.

#12746 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Dang, that's a long way to drive, I'm sorry to hear you missed out on this feature as it's pretty cool; I do hope you had a great time at the Operating room as this is my favorite place to hang out, I'm usually there on Saturday afternoons; perhaps we will bump into each other one day in the future

The operating room was awesome. I haven’t had the chance to play a lot of the games there (not much up here). Really gave me an idea what my next pin may be. We were down there for Machine Head concert at Wooly’s...which got canceled, but we played a ton of pinball. Went to the Up/Down bar too. Decent pins, but not the selection of The operating room.

#12793 1 year ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I got a long way to go then.......i will get there though eventually! I love this game even more than TWD, its got so many cool features and shots that its unreal. My only gripe is that damn left orbit reject. Ive played around with the slope and the leveling left to right and no matter what i am getting damn near 100% rejects. That sucks because i like when it drops down into the pops.

I must suck then. Anything over 100 million I consider a great game.

#12822 1 year ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

What I don't like about the led is that the blacks aren't truly black like the lcd.

Unless you’re playing in a black space (no light)not a problem. But, everyone should choose what is best for them. I have an lcd...and love it.

#12833 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

anyone know where i can buy a premium monsters translite?

I put an ad looking for one about a year and a half ago (your best bet). I got lucky and found one. They look awesome, but not cheap. Still glad I was able to get one. Good luck!

#12837 1 year ago
Quoted from zene10:

Took about 9 months of searching for one, including trying distros and stern directly. Can’t get one unless you prove it’s for a replacement of a damaged one.
Found a guy on pinside who hated his premium and wanted a pro translite.
We swapped translites + cash going his way.

I looked back on my messages. You had messaged me about how I got the Monsters translite. Glad you got one! delt31, you may have to update/bump your want add every now and then, but I bet you find one.

#12839 1 year ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Can you post a picture of the one you want? I've got a couple, not sure which ones they are. I do know, one is the road case ( ugly as fuk ) one.

This is the premium monsters translite. If you got one, I’m sure delt31 would appreciate a pm.

4D0FF6BE-B2A3-4328-BF13-50A85B26379D (resized).jpeg

#12842 1 year ago
Quoted from Brad76:

Can anyone explain how to install the Cliffy mystery hole protector. I took off the nut and washer on the bottom of the Playfield but up above there's very limited access. Do i need to try to take anything else off up above like plastics, metal rails.... or do I tap out the post with a hammer from below or do I have to sit there with a needle nose pliers and turn it 1/8 of a turn for two inches?

The plastics above the scoop need to be removed so you can get at the post. I haven’t reinstalled my cliffy here on my replacement field because that post is a major PITA to remove. Takes forever. Not sure why Stern had to use such a long post. I wouldn’t tap it out. You need to unscrew it.

image (resized).jpg

#12844 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Unfor no monsters available so the hunt continues!!

Bummer. It’ll just take some time.

#12848 1 year ago
Quoted from Brad76:

Just to clarify directions for the mystery hole Cliffy protector. yes the Plastics need to come off. Take off the nut and wash your underneath the Playfield on that post. You can leave the one with the two lights attached if you kind of spin it sideways. Meaning you can leave the lights connected but you would have to unattach the plastic. From the little hex stem posts. Then the metal ramp also will come off next step is you are going to need a long socket to get that post off. Probably about a 25 minute job.

Maybe I should’ve got a long socket...I used a fixed c-wrench...it took forever. And I had to be careful not to scratch the playfield.

#12850 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I scratched my plastic...

Sorry man. I have a minor scratched plastic near Sparky from installing the bounce plastic...it happens...sucks when it does...but it happens. Either buy a new plastic, or accept it and enjoy playing the crap out of it. IMHO, pins are meant to be played, and certain wear is expected. Enjoy.

#12854 1 year ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

How hard is it to copy a translite and print it anyway?

That’d take a commercial printer I bet (size wise). I wonder if the print shops would balk at that idea due to copyright.

#12866 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Yea I was bummed that night, but moved on and play the hell out of Met!! Since this is my first pin, it's kind of is a reminder to be careful when "Under the hood" so to speak.

My Met was my first NIB. As soon as I got it I lifted the playfield to adjust something. My TZ needed you to pull it all the way out to lock a mechanism so you could raise the playfield. I was stupid and didn’t look at the simple rails stern used. I promptly pulled the playfield until I pulled it off the rails inside the cab and the playfield fell into the cab. My wife helped me lift the playfeild out of the cab and back onto the rails. Luckily, no damage. I needed new underwear though. Live, learn, and play pinball!

#12869 1 year ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Same here except on ST. I also hate how you can't just slide it in. You have to lift the rear as you slide it back. What a stupid design.

Stern has now fixed that as of Star Wars...no big bump anymore. Just a smooth slide.

1 week later
#12914 1 year ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Last week I completely disabled the post in adjustments menu. Totally recommend it. Gotta say it's been a lot more fun rippin balls round the orbits. Is there any actual downside to this? What does that fucking post even do???

If you disable the post, will the left orbit spider ever be lit to make seek and destroy? You’d think that the right would always light, since that’s the last switch the ball would go over.

#12917 1 year ago

Oh, the top roll over lanes will be really difficult to hit to...won’t advance mystery.

#12919 1 year ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I LIKE IT!

Score schmore...

Agree. Your game. If your having fun, that’s all that matter

#12923 1 year ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Where can i get a snake head for a MET pro..does Stern sell direct or would i have to go thru a parts supplier?!

I have a extra snake head, but I removed the mouth mount. Why do you need another snake head?

#12933 1 year ago
Quoted from RA77:

I love my METLE
Best pinball ever !
Have to get one of those color DMD's
3 ball factory, almost 4 years, Still no EOTL. I will get it !

Color DMD will change the game. Expensive, but in the grand scheme of things with Pinball...not so much. This is a must have. I have a ton of mods. Spent 100s of dollars. Finally have a color DMD. This should have been my first mod.

1 week later
#13017 1 year ago

Wow! Stern let them sell the Monsters translite...I see many switching soon! Glad you found what you wanted.

#13043 1 year ago
Quoted from RA77:

Great write up thank you,
Would someone be kind enough to post or link to a photo from side of installed MET LCD please ?
Curious to know how far back it sits ?
Would really like to see some pics of LED on MET if possible
"the LCD might look a little better still but the clean installation of the LED is sure nice"
Cheers,
Ando

Here’s the LCD. I tried to show the gap on the sides. It looks better than normal install because I installed black electrical tape to hide some of the gap. The screen also sticks above the display window and you center the actual image on the display window. This doesn’t bother me as you don’t see it once the translite is installed. It was super easy to install.

AAF4ED0A-966E-41D9-9C3B-B138A5732850 (resized).jpeg

2808FF16-31AB-4759-AA17-A8839C970851 (resized).jpeg

683A4134-418F-4F6E-B61D-17BF605A96AE (resized).jpeg

#13045 1 year ago
Quoted from RA77:

Perfect !
Thanks for the great photos !
The LCD looks really smooth
I'm really fussy and thought the screen being so far recessed would be annoying to my OCD
I doesn't look to bad at all, I think I could live with it and I guess would be hard to notice front on.
Anyone know of plans for a flush mount LCD ?
Would really like to see comparison photos of LED
Thanks again for helping out dnapac !
btw your Monsters looks Awesome !

Love the Monsters translite...paid a ton for it, but worth it. Macrospecialties.com supposedly is selling them, but says out of stock...ask delt31 if they got theirs. Last I talked to Stern, they said they wouldn’t sell any. The color dmd is the best mod...and I have quite a few. I’m not a fan of dots...so the lcd looks sweet...highly recommend it. If you like dots, lcd can be set that way.

#13054 1 year ago
Quoted from Koos:

Since I don’t have my Met yet I don’t know how many balls need the be installed.
I want to order silverjets to replace the stock balls. How many do I need? 4?
Thanks for the help.

Make sure silverjets don’t magnetize quicker because they are extra shiny...made out of stuff more prone to magnetism.

Yes...4 balls.

#13068 1 year ago
Quoted from Koos:

I have a question regarding Mezelmods gels for colorizing the fuel gauge.
I know that a green sheet is included for the fuel targets well. But can I also use the reg/orange/yellow pieces for the separate letters under the target? Or are they too small?
I might consider adding an extra set to colorize the target letters as well.
I have a Metallica PRO so maybe I don’t need the gel sheets anyway since I can replace the LED’s with colored ones? (Unlike Prem/LE)

I just had the leds I wanted replaced with the color I wanted. Worked great, and very easy.

#13108 1 year ago

I’ve had Met quite a while, but this is getting old. Every 50 games or so I have to take off the glass and repoint and tighten the left spot. Is there a good fix?

B9A5DE5D-5DE0-467C-897F-6C7C52A92055 (resized).jpeg

#13112 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

My fix works 100% from preventing it. Yank them both off, throw them in the coin box, never think about it again. Haven't missed them once.
I do have the LE apron lights I guess, dunno how much they even help, but the spots just annoyed me and aren't even useful IMO.

It makes my center playfield so dark without them.

Quoted from Rickwh:

I put a touch of blue loctite on the screw and havent had the problem anymore. But it did kinda mess up the artwork a bit under the post on the plastic. So proceed with caution. Very very very little locktite.

I thought about blue locktight, but was scared to hurt the plastic.

#13116 1 year ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

See this post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/252#post-4233083
I did the same. It looks much better, and you never have to mess with that spot again!

Thought about this, but I have the creeping death blades with the UV lighting strips from MI pinball Refinery. So, wouldn’t work.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Is it the metal post that's turning or just the spot light? If it's just the spot light I just put a small split lock washer on the screw and tightened the nut back down. Rock solid and took all of 5 minutes.

Done! We’ll see if that solves the problem. Thanks!

#13118 1 year ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

It's the hex post that moves. You can't crank it down because you'll break the slingshot plastic. Same thing happens on my AC/DC. Drives me crazy.

Actually, the post was tight, it was the spot screw that kept loosening.

#13127 1 year ago

The split lock washer seems to have fixed the problem. If it comes loose again I’ll use blue loctite. Thanks!

#13129 1 year ago

Good idea...what did you tie into for power to those spots?

2 weeks later
#13262 1 year ago
Quoted from ktm450:

I will be joining the club at the end of May, I ordered a game on the last container from Sterns current run coming into Australia. I would have loved a premium but there is no secondhand market over here for any Metallica pins other than overpriced LEs. So NIB pro it is, even after I add spinners and total lightshow I will still save over $2000AUD from what we get charged for a premium NIB. As much as the other toys are cool it’s hard to justify spending a further $2k on them anyway.
I just spend 12days scrolling through this entire thread on my iPhone in my spare time taking screenshots of mods and info I’m after. Man are my eyes sore
Can anyone with a LED Pro please tell me if this map of the incandescent pro uses the same bulb types, 44s & 555s, in the same location as the new LED Pro?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/an-improved-stern-metallica-pro-led-map-and-list
Thanks,
Matt.

The led pro is a great choice. I have one and don’t miss the premium features. Metallica is great as the pro. Mod the thing out, and make it yours with the saved cash. LEDs are standard with standard bayonets or wedges.

#13288 1 year ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Common issue. It is supposed to stop ball and drop in pop bumpers. Replace stock plastic post with metal one and that should really help.

I know there are links inpast forums...but I’m being lazy. Do you have a link?

1 month later
#13530 1 year ago

85vett I love how your son decides to react like his sister....cracks me up.

#13537 1 year ago
Quoted from Graysonsdad:

Yay! Install completed. Can't play tonight because everyone is sleeping. Boo urns. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.
Fair warning to Canadians. The duty fees I was hit with for my color dmd were inexplicably high. Not trying to dissuade anyone from a color dmd. Great product. Just be prepared for that and factor it into your personal spending budget.

So worth it...can’t speak fo my Canadian brethren...but so worth it. Really is a huge improvement!

#13544 1 year ago
Quoted from Raegor:

Did you put anything around it to fill the gap?

I put some black electrical tape. That stopped the bleeding of light from the back box. I thought someone here was working on a 3d printed frame to take care of this...but haven’t seen any finished product. Another goo option is to get some of that black foam weather stripping to fill in the gap.

#13555 1 year ago
Quoted from jorant:

It is absolutely imperative to get this mod if you have a pro. It's awesome.

Cool mod, but I’d rather have a color DMD for the money.

1 week later
#13619 1 year ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

Ok lol. As I as typing that question I knew I’d get the just look at it replies. I was simply wondering if it was limited to certain serial numbers. It is a MET Pro LED version, it sure if those were impacted.

I have a Met pro LED. Chipping and ghosting happened. Stern gave me a new playfield and now all is good. Stern had some problems, but they usually do a pretty good job to make it right. That said, that’s NIB. If buying used...just look it over first.

#13625 1 year ago

You can get a super super skill shot by holding the left flipped button and do a softer plunge. You get the ball to go into the upper roll over lane that’s lit. This is tough because the post doesn’t go up and notoriously you plunge too soft and the ball comes back down, or too hard and it trickles around the orbit...sometimes so slow that you miss getting the normal super skill shot.

#13627 1 year ago
Quoted from roar:

I always feel like this is the 'cheaters' way of getting the Super Skill shot until I try it and soft plunge back into the shooter lane!

I have gotten 1.8 million points for it...I think it depends on which rollover lane you go through and ball number your on and how many skill shots you’ve previously achieved. Looks so easy, but without the post coming up, easy to mess the shot up and get nothing.

#13632 1 year ago
Quoted from Bwilson:

This is my problem. I found one local for 3.5k (Pro) has a shaker and color DMD but the magnet area is chewed up pretty bad, the art work (black ring) and clear coat is gone around the magnet. There is a large area right above the coffin that is chipping pretty bad (clear is gone) it's about the size of your fist maybe a little smaller. It is definitely noticeable. The drain area and shooter lane are fairly beat up too... In any case that is a really good price but maybe it makes more sense to just buy one NIB. I've wanted this game for a long time and once I get one its not going anywhere. I thought that I could locate a new PF and just play the hell out of it until I could get around to doing a swap but I'm having a hard time finding one. If I did find a PF I'm willing to bet it will cost around 1k so I would be in the game 4.5k and that is about the cost of a NIB... not sure if it's worth all the hassle to save 800 bucks.

Talk to your local distros and see what they can do. Or a HUO. That machine sounds kinda rough. The $3.5k price isn’t sounding that great now...and a playfield swap is not for the faint-of-hearted. I’d pay the xtra for a nice one.

1 week later
#13706 1 year ago

My best score yet! This was done in Tournament mode...no extra balls. 75,900,000 for seek and destroy.

image (resized).jpg
1 week later
#13791 1 year ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Of course, just never heard of the hidden cow in Met

During snake multiball...if you hit the snake, it vomits up various things. One being a cow.

2 weeks later
#13892 1 year ago

Can vary widely for me...but 10 million is bad, 30 million is decent, 60 million is good, 80 million is great, 100 million is tits, and 150 million winning the pot. I have got 270 million once. I’m sure others are much better, but I have a blast playing it!

#13910 1 year ago

Only drains I get from Sparky are when he throws it SDTM at light speed...the magnet occasionally does this.

#13939 1 year ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Question, while playing a game last night I cleared all 3 drop targets and hit the grave marker to start 2 ball multiball. Multiball began which obviously then clears the grave marker lane after the ball drops out. My question is, while you are in 2 ball multiball, what happens if you hit the ball into the grave marker area while all targets are down and the marker is left exposed?

It’s a jackpot. If you get it up there enough it becomes a super jackpot and the magnet grabs the ball. If you hit that ball off the magnet with the other free ball, that’s how you collect the super jackpot.

#13941 1 year ago
Quoted from gweempose:

One word of advice. When going for the super jackpot (releasing the ball from the magnet), don't backhand it. The ball will most likely get stuck to the other ball and won't register a super jackpot.

Agreed!! Drives me nuts when that happens. Have to wait for ball search to release the balls. Kills the vibe.

#13945 1 year ago
Quoted from Koos:

Only seen this once but does the ball search trigger the super jackpot as well or is it lost then?

All is lost. Total bummer.

#13947 1 year ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

And the worst part? At least on my Met Pro, when the balls get released during the ball search, there is a > 50% chance they are both headed SDTM...

Yup, totally sucks. You go from rocking a multiball to loosing it all...and there’s nothing you can do about it...but there is always an element of luck (or bad luck in this case) with Pinball. One reason I’m so addicted to it!

#13949 1 year ago
Quoted from sohchx:

So say the first ball is at the magnet while energized, I hit it with the second ball and they both fall. If I hit a ball up there again will that repeat the process again holding the ball until it's hit again? Or after both balls come down is the magnet de energized for the remainder of multiball until it ends?

It’s de energized...but I think if you hit the shot enough, you can re energize it...but I can’t prove that as I’m not that good . Someone else may have a more concrete answer.

#13981 1 year ago

My wife just texted that she lost a ball on our Met in one of the multiballs...ball search didn’t find it and she tilted it which ended the game. She’s trying to beat my score before our tournament ends...now she has to wait for me to get home to find it. It’s good when the wife loves pinball too.

2 weeks later
#14061 1 year ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

LED or LCD Color DMD for MET?
To those of you who have color DMDs in your METs, which version do you have and did you compare the two versions before you purchased?
And yes, I'm reading the appropriate Pinside thread on this topic, but the thread isn't MET-specific.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-lcd-versus-led
Thanks.
[quoted image]

LCD. Really love the Met colors for the lcd, personal opinion. Have read that the led on certain colors looks off/funny. That said, led pops more. If I was choosing without the ability to see both in the same machine, I’d go LCD for Met. I’d go led for other games...not Met.

1 week later
#14104 1 year ago

Ah, pinball. The randomness of the ball, and of the rules. If you want consistency 100%, don’t play pinball. Otherwise, embrace the randomness. There is skill (jack danger, etc.) but there is still the random...that’s why I like pinball (imho).

#14110 1 year ago

Just read my quote. Sorry guys. Friday night vodka and making sense don’t go together.

#14122 1 year ago
Quoted from Graysonsdad:

Oh, also, also, is there a setting I'm missing for the ball eject to the launcher? Mine more often than not shoots the ball too hard and kicks it back down. It relaunches it of course but it really messes up flow. Especially if it cant launch the first ball in multiball. Thanks.

Sound like your autolaunch is not aligned right. Take off the glass and the apron and make sure you don’t need to adjust/realign it. If this continues to do it, over time, it could damage your shooter lane.

#14124 1 year ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Sound like your autolaunch is not aligned right. Take off the glass and the apron and make sure you don’t need to adjust/realign it. If this continues to do it, over time, it could damage your shooter lane.

I read that wrong. Check the coil strength settings...you can usually choose the strength...although, this will affect all your coils.

#14144 1 year ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I run a zip tie around the flipper assembly tight. It fixes it.

The above really fixes it, but this hack is easier...and works.

1 week later
#14178 1 year ago
Quoted from Sixmillion:

I just joined the club! Got my new in box yesterday. I noticed I have a light not working. It is bulb number 19 the orange colour one by the left roll over. I just did the lamps test in the diagnostic menu, is it supposed to tell me the lamp is not working? Not sure how the diagnostic test works.
[quoted image]

You can test the LEDs by making them light one by one, or all at the same time. Probably just a loose bulb. Make sure it is seated tight in the socket.

#14184 1 year ago

Just reassurance to sixmillion, this is all normal. Ask as many questions as you need to get your game dialed in. All games need some tweaking at first...and from time-to-time. Good choice on the pin, you’ll have a blast with it.

#14187 1 year ago

Good luck and you will love the pin. There is a bunch of negativity on pinside, but a bunch of pinsider’s that will help. Ignore the negative and take in the positive. Pinside is a great resource.

#14201 1 year ago
Quoted from Sixmillion:

Lovin my new pin, this game is hard to score big points on for me. I find I loose the ball a lot on the left and right outlanes. Some guys (Bowen, deadflip) make it look easy. I think I need to learn nudging more. I still need to get my game dialled in though. Why is it that sometimes 2 balls get sent in the shooter lane, is there a fix for this?[quoted image]

Make sure your balls aren’t magnetized...thus they will stick together enough for 2 balls to be ejected into the shooter lane.

#14206 1 year ago
Quoted from Sixmillion:

How do you prevent this? I did notice sometime the ball tends to "stick" to the newton balls (coffin) at times. I do have the balls from pinball life which stated that they are good for games with magnets.

Those still can get magnetized with time. Yes, some balls are much more likely to get magnetized because of the way they are made. As far as I know, it’s just best to buy new balls when this happens.

#14237 1 year ago
Quoted from SNIP3R:

Another loose LED related question... Having an issue with the LEDs under these red plastic covers going out intermittently. I want to re-seat these bulbs, but do the screws that hold these red plastic parts in place also secure something on the underside of the play field?[quoted image]

Nope. Unscrew the screws and lift out the plastics with the screws. I’ve had this problem. Take a very small screwdriver and gently bend the copper leafs inside the socket inward. This will make a tighter fit on the bulb.

1 month later
#14581 1 year ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

My frustration with this machine is becoming toxic. I just had a 10 min + game, hit every multiball mode, Sparky twice, plus Lady Justice and a ciu and still only ended up with 95m.
Most of that was actually done on ball one. I look up and I'm at a pissy 52m.
WHAT AM I NOT GETTING HERE???
Bout to kick it on down (to the end of) the line...

Just hitting/starting the modes doesn’t equal high scores. Make sure to try and stack multiball. I think it’s coffin and graveyard can stack...do a search on this thread. The other thing is hitting the lane behind the fuel targets, when lit, to double scores temporarily. I’m sure there are other ways, just what I use.

#14586 1 year ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The big points come from the CIU modes, its that simple. You do good in the CIU modes and you score big, you choke and you dont. Its a low scoring game until you do good in those modes and i choke every Fckin time in them also.

Good to know...but I suck in them...every time. Play better.

1 week later
#14748 1 year ago
Quoted from Graysonsdad:

I have yet to set high scores on seek and destroy, blackened and of course end of the line.
I believe blackened is collecting all the band member picks, correct me if I'm wrong.
How do I go for seek and destroy?
Thanks

Light the spider lights, they will blink, hit the snake, Sparky, and graveyard for each one. Complete it by lighting the hurry up coffin and hit the coffin to lock that row in. Do this for all rows/spiders and you’ll enter seek and destroy. Hit the lighted “seek” and “destroy” it by then hitting the coffin. Repeat for all blinking rows.

I have a question, what’s the four horseman mode? My wife got into it and I wasn’t sure what to do. Cool graphics though.

#14750 1 year ago
Quoted from Graysonsdad:

I've gotten that animation once. Pretty sure its Blackened

Ah. That makes sense. I have read that Blackened was meant to be The Four Horseman.

1 week later
#14956 1 year ago

I’ve had my balls from pinball life for a year. When I clean the field, I polish the balls (this sounds so bad). They aren’t pitted or magnetized. There’s about 2500 plays on them.

#15030 1 year ago
Quoted from Graysonsdad:

Of course picture never do justice but I had some people ask to see it when it was done. I'll post pics again once its installed.
*I just noticed these picture make it look weird. The finish is smooth as silk. I think the sparkles give the picture a look of messy paint. Looks great in person.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks awesome! I’m gonna do that same thing, but have to wait until the new pin comes, otherwise my wife will be mad we don’t have enough pins to play.

1 week later
#15147 11 months ago
Quoted from konghusker:

After all these years, I still play this game the most. After all these years though, I still can't figure out the top two skill shot Lanes. What are we trying to do with those and do we want to roll over them when it's lit or not lit? I'm not talking about the skill shot, but during game play. Trying to figure out what they increase or do.

If not the skill shot, they are to complete the 5 yellow lights (3 Outlane and 2 rollover). By completing these, you advance Mystery. The more you do it, the better Mystery is. You want to have the ball go through the lanes with the lights off, so the lights get lit when the ball rolls over the switch.

#15206 11 months ago

I installed new speakers in my Met Pro. They are really high end car speakers that my brother gave me (he’s a total audiophile and is always replacing his stuff). Besides sounding awesome, they look sweet! Thanks to rensh for helping me decide if they were ok to install. They look yellow because that’s the color of the cones and the light from the backbox bleeds through...I think a cool effect. The center come is silver, so it really reflects the LEDs

#15209 11 months ago

Just realized, I put a $700 pair of speakers in my pin. They really sound good, but I really dig the lighter cones. The LEDs look good off the lighter cones...better off the silver center cone.

#15255 11 months ago

I was gonna get an external sub, but read it’ll make it make it muddy, too much bass. I replaced my backbox speakers with high end speakers for more treble/tweeter...it sounds awesome! Balanced, yet booming, with the stock sub. Never would have guessed boosting the high end would’ve done this.

#15257 11 months ago

When I installed new backbox speakers, I found that the factory (Stern) had installed them wrong (reversed the polarity). Check that your speakers are installed correctly according to the manual. This will make a difference in the sound.

#15278 11 months ago
Quoted from bsobie:

You can’t turn the sub up very much.... you just want enough bass to match your highs... the sub adds a depth to the game play that once felt you won’t do without a sub after that.

It’s interesting. I have a psw10 on my Stern SW and it’s incredible. I was gonna add that to my Met, but my brother offered me high end speakers for my Backbox. They really bring out the mid and high end, and the factory sub brings out the lows. Crisp high/mids and booming lows (for a pin). No muddy, just great sound. I do have a shaker, that adds the sensory of the lows. I would upgrade the backbox for this pin, vs. adding more lows. IMHO.

1 week later
#15375 11 months ago

I have seen Sparky with foot damage. Some to the point that they break off. I own a pro and have decent foot damage with 5000 games. Not missing, but definitely chipped and cracking. I reinforced them when I did my playfield swap last year. Also, the new playfield came with another Sparky, so I have an extra. As I played a pro on site today, I noticed how good the feet look, and I think there is close to 15k plays. The difference is the Sparky ball shield. I have the extended shield to prevent the ball from jumping all over everywhere, but the one on site had the standard. Yes, the ball would sometimes fly around, but is the extended ball deflector is causing the ball to slam into Sparky’s feet? Not sure what’s worse now.

4 weeks later
#15579 10 months ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

anyone have a Premium Monsters translite they want to sell?

Check Marco...they have translites sporadically...I paid premo, but love it. Good luck!

1 week later
#15697 9 months ago

That’s what I love (and hate) about pinball...skill is required for high scores...but there is always an element of luck. It’s all how the ball bounces

#15699 9 months ago
Quoted from woody6092:

IMO....the other element is finding a pin that you LOVE to HATE and HATE to LOVE. Metallica.....is my favorite band. The pin? Hates me!

Play better... . Took me a year of owning it to really figure out the rules. Still working on EOTL.

1 month later
#16020 8 months ago
Quoted from embryon:

Strobing getting worse. If I push the cat data cable towards the connector under the playfield it stops, but when you start playing, it comes back fairly quickly and makes it unplayable. I have a monsters led version BTW. Any ideas please

Try a little hot glue to hold the connector in place.

1 month later
#16184 7 months ago
Quoted from mthirkell:

So I just upgraded to V 1.8 and now my flippers, particularly the right one, are definitely weaker. Is that a thing? Any advice??

No problems with 1.8 here. Either install 1.7 and see how the flippers are, or reinstall 1.8.

1 month later
#16382 5 months ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Pinball is a weird game. I haven't had a good game on my MET Pre in a few months. I got over 100M a coupe of times, but that's it. Frustrating. Today I went down to play a quick game or two - and blew it up with 460M+ a new Grand Champion score for me! Had three CIU modes too; so close to EotL.... so close... But I'll probably never get that.

That’s why I love pinball. Pulling your hair out one game, and blowing it out the next. If all that was needed was to memorize a pattern, you’d have Ms. Pacman etc...

1 week later
#16437 5 months ago

Um, where are the speakers? Cool look, but I’m starting to wonder if this is real.

2 months later
#16763 76 days ago
Quoted from ReallifePin:

Hello fellow owners,
I finally got to join the club after years of dreaming about it. I bought a beautiful 2013 Pro. I've spent the last week replacing the Sparky magnet, changing out a couple songs, adding a ColorDMD, and adding a Pinnovators PINPAC. I'm also pretty sure I read every page of this thread. I'm pretty excited!
All was well until I was playing a game and the game started looking for balls after an Electric Chair multiball.
I've since done a switch test and all of Drive 2 does not register in test. (That's all trough switches, all lanes and the pop bumper switches) I tested continuity and I have continuity all the way back to the board. I'm assuming now that it is a board issue but I'm still hoping not.
Can anyone give me some advice on where to look next? If I had to guess I'll have to take off the board and check for any damage. Maybe (hopefully) I'm missing some simple explanation.
What do you all think?

Check your fuses.

2 weeks later
#16793 61 days ago

Hot glue. I have a bunch of pics in various spots in my machine...they look awesome imo.

#16796 61 days ago

I always think it’s funny how people get so upset with what you do with your machine.

#16802 61 days ago
Quoted from Graysonsdad:

Me too but sticky tack. Never glue

Hot glue peels off and doesn’t hurt what it’s used on.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 5,999.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dnapac.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside