Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0271 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7243 Magnet removal Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (7 years ago)

Post #8935 Buzzing flippers fix Posted by j_m_ (7 years ago)

Post #19696 Fixing random drop targets dropping Posted by swampfire (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider concretehardt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#763 9 years ago

3 METLE/MOPLE questions
Does the LE come with a shaker from the factory?
Does the LE come with lighted back box speakers?
Does the LE have extra layers of clear on the playfield?

#766 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Unless maybe the extra layer comes from sealing in the signature?

This may be exactly what it is, I know my STLE appeared to have thicker clear than the pro at my local arcade.

#777 9 years ago

I just scored a METLE from a friend of mine and was wondering if anyone has done FF speakers on their MET? I have a 10" FF kit that I bought for IM but never installed it.. Does anyone know if that kit will fit on my METLE?

#782 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Hope you're enjoying and not thinking I led you astray!

Aurich I'm loving it!
Here is a blow by blow of my METLE adventure... I decide to make it a family affair we left Friday night and stayed the night in Coos Bay then we headed to the Bandon Game park cpic (my daughter and her best buddy petting a 6 week old tiger cub) then we swung into the prehistoric gardens where my wife and nearly got eaten by a T-REX after that we went thru the redwoods (damn nearly got my truck wedged inside this tree) after the Redwoods we shot down to see my buddy Kevin in McKinleyville... Loaded up the METLE and beat feet home we got in last night about midnight. The family and i had a blast and I found a piece of treasure at the end of the journey
image-730.jpgimage-730.jpg image-887.jpgimage-887.jpgimage-638.jpgimage-638.jpg image-721.jpgimage-721.jpgimage-785.jpgimage-785.jpg image-61.jpgimage-61.jpg image-865.jpgimage-865.jpg

#786 9 years ago

Are you guys using magnet protectors? I installed a cliffy stainless magnet protector on the sparky magnet and I have one for the hammer and cross but they seem to take way less abuse so I haven't installed them yet.

#788 9 years ago
Quoted from Jnewton:

I've got mylar circles on mine. I have the stainless Cliffys but haven't installed them as people keep saying there are issues with them curling up and messing with the playfield artwork.

I had never heard this, can anyone confirm that this is an issue with the Cliffy stainless magnet protectors?

2 weeks later
#832 9 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

I am revisiting the Metallica drops with the redesigned version that seems to be working on Star Trek. As you can see they are back lit.

image-148.jpg 169 KB

image-879.jpg 166 KB

Me like!

#858 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Now we're talking. Damn that was hard when it got dark on me...but I had to keep continuing till I got the doubler.

P1000076.JPG 21 KB

F-WORD!

#868 9 years ago
Quoted from thunderking50:

i said it before in another Topic,My dream theme was Metallica for years i wished for it to be made
But i never dreamed it could looked that Amazing (Thanks to Dirty Donny) never dreamed it would
play that Great and have some many Satisfying shots like this (Thanks to Borg and Lyman )
Metallica is the Pinball i want to be buried in

I played MET at the Nwest pinball show right after it was released and I thought it was ok, but with the new coding the game is over the top. MET is an easy top 5 game in my book now!
(pic is my daughter and I at the show in 2013)
image-668.jpgimage-668.jpg

#877 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

You know, for some reason I always imagined you'd look a little more like your Avatar....but I can see the resemblence
Thanks for sharing!

I was in a bad mood when my avatar pic was taken (I also have since trimmed my eyebrows)

3 months later
#1469 9 years ago

Im Thinking about switching to white rubbers, what size are the sling rubbers on MET? They look small 2"?

#1492 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I can confirm as well. It's 2 inches.
I switched all mine to the transparent ones. Love it. If you are going to white I would give the transparent a try. The way the light plays with them is really cool. They feel as bouncy as the white rubbers too.

Good thought! I have clear rubber on my Tron LE and I really like the way they look!

1 month later
#1867 9 years ago
Quoted from Pincrawler:

Had an epic game yesterday and had to come and share with the club. Started all 4 CIU modes, cashed in on two of them and drained on two of them. Had two extra balls, scored over 40 million on seek and destoy, and made it to End of the Line. Must have been a almost 30 min game.dou

20141228_092853.jpg 206 KB

Wow, I guess I need to play better!

2 weeks later
#1952 9 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

I thought about that and may try it but prefer the inline upgrade. I'm leaning FF 10" currently.

The Polk psw10 hits so hard on met that sometimes I swear I feel my pants move from the bass!
For those of you with your minds in The gutter... I'm not talking about the crotch region of my pants

#1955 9 years ago

I have the FF speakers in the back box (big improvement) and the psw10 underneath... Amazing sound from this game now!

#1995 9 years ago
Quoted from Leechman:

Just became a proud owner last night! Thanks lefttee! It was great meeting you!

IMG_20150117_083523_082.jpg 128 KB

Thumbs up... Way up!

3 weeks later
#2231 9 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

I have another small batch of 10 sparky airball protectors, if anyone is interested. $7 shipped. I have to limit this to US orders only. Please pm me for details of you are interested.
Thanks.

These work awesome!! (Sparky air all eliminator)

2 months later
#3280 8 years ago
Quoted from Adios:

Pissed,image.jpg (Click image to enlarge) less than 3 weeks nib playfield is chipped up around sparky magnet! Any ideas to fix or cover?

Shit!

2 months later
#4039 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

OK, that cabinet pic sucks and I feel for you there. The rest of the stuff, I'd chalk it up to minor, maybe non-existent problems. I mean, scratches on a capacitor on a circuit board? Come on, man.

Agreed the cabinet scratch (scratches) are unacceptable and would drive me crazy! The other stuff I wouldn't be too concerned about.

4 weeks later
#4341 8 years ago

Looks like a new run of Met Premiums is confirmed.. The game is too damn good to not make more!

#4346 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

Source? I didn't see anything on Sterns site or on their facebook site unless I just missed it.

Several distributors got notice from Stern today that Met Premium Monster will be run again shortly... I am hoping they do a roadcase as well.

#4353 8 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Definitely true. My distributor confirmed today. Should be a monsters edition with new cabinet art.

New cabinet art <perk> different could be good! Anyone have more details on this?

#4357 8 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

My guess, maybe the new cabinet art? I got this pic off Dirty Donny's FB page, its his monster premium.

11828781_1058702967475782_2522165278686228811_n.jpg

Sweet!
I would buy that!

#4371 8 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Fyi. Squashing the rumor i started. Cabinet art should be the same but it will be the new metal cabinet. Im assuming the original premiums were the old style cabinet with the black speaker panel.

2 weeks later
#4449 8 years ago

Of all the color DMD's MET is my fave! Great dots and great colorization DMOD.

#4474 8 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Just traded my pro in for a NIB premium. Someone started a rumor that the new run of premiums would have metallic, foiled artwork like IMVE, that is false. Cab is identical to the pro.
First time seeing the premium translite in person. Million times better than the pro and I even like it more than the LE. image.jpg

Any decal issues on the new run of premiums?

3 weeks later
#4607 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Can anyone with a machine check to see if your clear is chipping at the edge of the drain?
My build is from April 2015, which may be one of the boards with flaking issues? I forgot when that was.
I haven't called stern yet, I know they wear. But this is HOU with maybe 200 ish plays.

20150925_180138.jpg 20150925_180212.jpg

I always put mylar on that area, balls fly in there pretty hard sometimes and pound the shit out of that edge. In my experience a small amount of mylar that wraps over the edge will stop this from happening.

#4628 8 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

I've got the flipper fidelity big 10" kit in mine and it rocks! Very pleased with it. Or you can go the powered sub route

Will that speaker fit without relocating one of the service rails?

3 weeks later
#4832 8 years ago

I have a cliffy for the right scoop that came with my METLE I'm trying to decide if it is worth installing as the scoop hole shows no wear. Any one have a Met showing wear at the right scoop?

#4837 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

After getting some requests from some people I feel inclined to help out I'm working on doing a roadcase-style speaker decal. I guess you could put it on any machine if you wanted to, but it's specifically for people with the Roadcase Premium.
I'm going to try and make it work for both wood panels and the new metal ones (two separate cut files). If you got the new style metal angled panel Roadcase I figure you need it badly, the cartoon color one just doesn't match there at all. I leave my wooden panels blank, but plenty of people like to decal them, so as long as I'm designing it I'll look at making that work.
Edit: I'm waaay behind on PMs already, so don't PM me if you want one, I'll start an official thread when it's ready and set up a list.

Once that's done how about a mass production run of your hammer upgrade

1 month later
#5311 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

It does block those top two inlane insert lights.....thought I was the only one to really notice it since I don't disable the up post back there as I like that rule set. It's not horrible as I have to stand up a bit higher to see the ball working up there and get my lanes lit but heck a MOD to keep another MOD.....why not!!

I didn't notice any obstruction to the top lane lights but I am 6' 1"... I guess I can see over.

#5312 8 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

it was a long night

IMG_4413.jpgIMG_4416.jpgIMG_4415.jpg

Did you have to relocate one of the service rails to install that FF cabinet speaker?

Quoted from Aurich:

I teased a Metallica mod earlier in the year, and I then I put it on hold because Alien got so busy. Well I just can't go too long without doing a personal project, I start to go nuts otherwise. So I'm bringing it back to life, and the time off made me more ambitious in my thinking, so having a good time tinkering on it.
Hope to have something to show sometime early next year. Still loving my Metallica, still motivated to do work on ideas for it.

Hammer mod please

1 week later
#5442 8 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

This fixed the issue for me immediately.

Quoted from TimeBandit:

It is the correct fix and works really well. 99% reduction in rejects.

Can you post a link to the metal post, I need to order one.

#5561 8 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Keep your volume settings at there current positions and when you get it hooked up you will notice a better sound then with alligator clips. Quite a big difference, Iam very happy with the quality. . You have to free up the screen from the staple to get the cable in at the top rear of backbox. Report back on what you think?

Can someone explain why the sound is improved with this mod over alligator clips?

Quoted from bobbyt:

I just installed this yesterday and it does sound much cleaner and louder, and you know that you have it hooked up much safer then the alligator clips, you can't beat the price for what you get, I believe this is a must have if you are going to hook up the Polk sub, thank you guys for all the info on this mod

Can you post a link for this mod please.

#5565 8 years ago

Well shoot I was waxing my MET LE and and when I turned it back on after I was done the Sparky coil engaged pulling his head back and the coil is stuck that way (coil actuated all the time) the only way it will release is if I open the coin door. I have no idea what I could of done I did wax the playfield behind sparky and had to work around the coil that is now stuck on to do so... Any ideas?
I replaced the F10 fuse and the sparky coil appears to be functioning normally now. The only remaining problem is that the 2 flashers behind sparky are now stuck on all the time, now I just need to figure out why the flashers are activated all the time.. I am worried that I have a blown transistor

#5568 8 years ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

I'm not familiar with met, but is there a opto that possibility could have wax jammed in it......just a shot in the dark

I will check the Sparky optos as I believe the actuate the Sparky flashers.
Thanks

Edit: Sparky optos are working normally, I went thru active switch test and everything looked ok... I'm stumped

#5572 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Did you shut the game down with the coin door OPEN?
If so, this is still a known technical issue with all METs, and should be warned to all owners.
The infamous Sparky coil - coin door "lock and burn".
This sounds EXACTLY what happened, but you caught it BEFORE the coil actually burned after the locking of the transistor.
It would have given around 10 seconds or so...
My guess is you did nothing to aggravate the situation in cleaning, even if you knocked something loose.
Sparky optos are not going to activate the coil, they control the magnet and activate flashers.
It was NEVER fixed in the game code or design to my knowledge, but anyone feel free to update if it was addressed.
It was first reported in 2013.
I KNOW it was reported to distributors as a game concern.
It is one of several of the game's "Achilles Heels" to this day.
You need to test the coil driver TIP on the PDB.
Yes, the situation SUCKS because you were unaware, and every machine from every manufacturer has some type of oddity like this in its design not caught in development.
The difference with BLY/WMS is "usually" they were addressed within two years...grrrrr.

Yes I did shut the game down with the coin door open, I had no idea I thought it was very odd that the sparky coil locked up like that. Any one know what transistor on the main board I should be looking at, also am I gunna need to get a whole new board? My board repair skills are not real strong.

#5577 8 years ago

I just got off the phone with Chas it appears I have a shorted Q27 transistor which is causing my Sparky flashers to stay on all the time, I'm sending an email to JJ at Game Exchange now for replacement parts.. Thanks Chas & JJ you guys are the best!

#5599 8 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Recently found that the area around the Sparky magnet on my MET Pro LED has started chipping/peeling Seem like I read that others had this problem as well. I haven't contacted Stern yet. I just purchased this in May 2015.

IMG_0119_(resized).JPG

That magnet sure looks high in that pic, it should be flush with the playfield.

1 week later
#5733 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Yes I did shut the game down with the coin door open, I had no idea I thought it was very odd that the sparky coil locked up like that. Any one know what transistor on the main board I should be looking at, also am I gunna need to get a whole new board? My board repair skills are not real strong.

Update I replaced my Q27 transistor with the help of an awesome Pinsider (thanks Markmon!) I then installed the sparky coil kit with upgraded driver board (thanks JJ & Chas) and I am back in action... no more sparky coil lock ups for this METLE

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#5749 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

So if my game is from the new run (11/2015), it should have an updated board and this sparky lock up is a non issue? I have been so paranoid after reading about it.

Look at your sparky driver board, if it looks like the one in my picture below you should be good. The board is different from the original design also the harness has orange and black wires that tie the driver board into the sparky flasher circuit.

Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

It is not entirely related to the power driver board.
To my knowledge this problem has never been directly addressed by Stern.
I am unsure if a code change in software could be added to disengage this specific coil function either as I am not a programmer.
It has nothing to do with the step up voltage board either which remained unchanged from the original production run.
It is a game design issue because the Sparky relay coil is a low voltage activation, not high power.
Basically, the owner in Oregon replaced all the potentially damaged or damaged components, but nothing is preventing it from occurring again if he shuts the game down with the coin door open.
If you catch the mistake quickly you can avoid the "transistor burn out".
If Stern has decided to fix the problem, anyone feel to correct me as it going on 2+ years unresolved.

Actually I believe that the new driver board fixes the problem, note that the sparky flashers now T into the new driver board. It appears that the flashers (which are dissabled when the coin door is open) now send a signal to the sparky driver board to shut off when the coin door opens. Compare the pic below to the sparky driver in your machine and you will see what I mean.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#5804 8 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

For you LE and Premium owners. Does your hammer 'bounce' when it activates? The hammer on my game goes down, comes up a bit and then goes down again. Last year I experimented with different spring tensions on the coil assembly, but that did not help. Has anyone found a solution for this?
Rob

Nope the hammer on my METLE has been flawless since I have owned it.

7 months later
#8523 7 years ago
Quoted from mbarreira:

Looking for a Laseriffic Mop Topper.
If anyone wants to sell it,i i would like to buy it.
Thank you

I think I have one I will look tonight.

7 years later
#21395 3 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

It will be a money grab, different and not as good. Dont see them simply updating the dots to new animations for an LCD, so it will be a different game and not as good. Think Unforgiven vs. Unforgiven 2.

Rumors I have heard is will be same game with large display & different art. IMHO it will most likely have the metallic hyper embossed art work, mirrored back glass, powder laser cut armor and other special features that Elvira BRK had. They will call it some type of special edition like Ride the lightning or #### anniversary edition and charge $12,999 for it. Many have said it will be too difficult to port over to spike, but if Stern wants to do it, they will make it happen.

#21398 3 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Then my $$$ is safe.

I hear that, If you already own an original few reasons to buy the new version if it actually happens.

#21400 3 months ago
Quoted from BeeGee6533:

pardon my ignorance but what are powerblades? Thx!

If you scroll through the pictures on Joe’s website, one of them is a Video you can watch them an action. They’re pretty awesome!
https://www.pingraffix.com/product-page/medieval-madness-powerbladez

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider concretehardt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread?tu=concretehardt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.