51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7243 Magnet removal Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (7 years ago)

Post #8935 Buzzing flippers fix Posted by j_m_ (7 years ago)

Post #19696 Fixing random drop targets dropping Posted by swampfire (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ballsofsteel.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#780 9 years ago

code 1.6 just made this machine fantastic, and a full Cointaker LED conversion is a must!

3 weeks later
#861 9 years ago

I never realized this until recently..but I don't think I'd rather have any other machine (maybe MB) except my metallica at this point.

2 weeks later
#924 9 years ago

I put my moded metallica out on location for the local people to enjoy. As cherry as she is, I feel better having people enjoy it and making a little money on the side.

1 week later
#1089 9 years ago

just physically bend the ball guide away from the orbit by hand (shouldn't take too much on each side)....mine did that right out of the factory, ball couldn't even go through or drop out.

#1091 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Easy fix....zero $$$.....unless you break something.

I guess if you apply 60 lbs+ of torque to the ball guides by hand you could possibly break the ball guide post bolts that run all the way through the PF

#1099 9 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

did it as it, 3 screws under playflied, 3 more to "open" the cross (plastic & steel), and than done, its an easy 5 minutes job

strange, I didnt' have to take my cross out, just pulled the flasher led from the bottom of it.

#1119 9 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

without forcing ?
first tried with mine, but the steel "S" base of the lamp socket would not came out the plot which maintain it in place...

If I remember I had to bend the bulb bracket down a little from inside the cross, then pull out the led...or something like that. I know you can do it, I've done it. but you can also just remove the cross

1 week later
#1156 9 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Does Metallica have a "Midnight Madness" or any other unique things when the clock strikes midnight? I know on some wpc games this madness happens.

you mean like DH? no, but that's ok because you pretty much stack EVERYTHING in metallica anyways

1 week later
#1175 9 years ago
Quoted from kmk68sin:

Who has the best looking LED kit for the Metallica Pro?

cointaker has one, but I had to mod some of their choices (such as color changing bulbs under certain inserts). they have the brightest and best bulbs imo

1 week later
#1197 9 years ago

metallica is pretty much the bees knees these days imo, I put up 222 mil last night on location. I closed out 2 CIU songs, had blackened and seek n destroy going as well then choked. I love stacking any MB on top of coffin, then add a ball and just rock it.

1 month later
#1464 9 years ago

the metallica pro is the most fun machine right now imo. go for it!

1 month later
#1789 9 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Thanks for the kind words folks.
I have started asking for $7 for sparky plastic shipped to a USPS address. The padded cushion envelope I use costs $1.19 + tax and the first class postage is ~$2.30. So I raised the price to compensate.
Also to help with the minor fitment issues that have some folks have had, I have started test fitting each and every plastic I send out in my Met pro. So that should keep you all from having any issues (I hope).
I made 6 up over the weekend last weekend and 4 of them are spoken for so 2 more and then I'll have to make a new batch. I only have time to work on these on the weekends so if I'm out then I'll make anther batch the following weekend or so.
Rick
Thanks

best 7$ mod I've ever bought! no more airballs, thanks man.
jordan

4 weeks later
#1922 9 years ago

I sold my tron original run preorder pro model for my metallica, and I have never regretted that once.

2 weeks later
#2095 9 years ago

i'd get a free sparky out of it if it really bothers you. the problem is you'll have to return the scratched one for a replacement.

#2131 9 years ago

he has the rare whitewood backglass avatar.

2 weeks later
#2239 9 years ago

ev

Quoted from Rickwh:Thanks man! My magnet was taking a beating cause it would pull airballs down out of the air and slam them on top of the magnet. The protector keeps that to a minimum/or not at all. Also things like the spots near sparky dont get knocked around.

everyone needs an extended plastic for sparky on this machine, don't know why stern didn't engineer it like it should be.

4 weeks later
#2364 9 years ago

scoring is all about fuel mode going then enter CIU. yesterday I played a long game, 3 sparkeys, 1 coffin (75 hits), 1 graveyard, 1 snake, started seek and destroy into CIU enter sandman, and could put up only 160 mil. I can't break 200 anymore unless I start fuel before going into a CIU song. So much chopping wood, and if you dont' hit your CIU and/or close them out your toast. the staking features in this game are just fantastic.

#2367 9 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I don't see it this way. Getting to CIU as quickly as possible has the quickest potential for points

agreed, when I can get to 3 CIU songs (most I've made), I score highest. I seem to play for MB modes even when CIU is lit, because I'd like to at somepoint get to Sparky SUPER JACKPOTS (hit 8? sparky super jackpots to light?), and I'd like to get to a second coffin MB at somepoint.

having lady justice going, seek and destroy started, with fuel, and going into CIU is the BOSS stack

2 weeks later
#2479 9 years ago

wish I had 500$ for those custom DD sparky's with the brain on the helmet

#2522 9 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

The hammer isn't that bad, and there isn't many toys out there that compete with the satisfaction of pounding the ball through the playfield.

slows the game down, blocks middle of pf, not worth the money.

the LED lightshow and coding on the other hand, FANTASTIC

#2529 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I personally don't think activating a cool physical ball lock every once in a while is something that "slows the game down".
It definitely plays better if you replace the block with the Pro style captive ball though!

it adds stop and go to the machine whereas the pro does not. I love the premium and LE, but honestly would rather play a pro. I am crazy and such, but that's what I enjoy

#2530 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

most people when I tell them don't realize that on the le and premium the snake mouth comes into play. The snake will close his mouth and hide the ball from u during certain modes.. U can force him to open it with a certain amount of hits, lock a ball in there, and get it back after...The pro doesn't do this...the hammer isn't a game changer.. The snake mouth is a game changer

agree with this, the snake adds more fun than the pro does. that, the spinners, and the LED show make the premium/le niooooce.

#2532 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It really doesn't though. Stop and go means something totally different in terms of play style. We're talking about locking the ball, which happens pretty rarely in the scheme of shooting

yes, but you do have to wait for the ball to get magnetized, then 'hammered' through the pf. then you play the next ball. the pro just keeps rockin gameplay as Robert states "balls in the casket"

there is a difference, I suppose we can agree to disagree

1 week later
#2826 9 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

put the #4 score on it my second game in and the. Proceeded to get under 5 billions

let us know if you ever reach that 5 billion!

#2839 9 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I couldn't remember after I went inside my bed

strange, I like to sleep on top of my bed. haha, sorry but I thought that was funny. maybe you need more sleep? brain, not, working...need coffee.

#2853 9 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Being able to turn that off for when people have kids over is important...

I don't know....they still say 'hell' a lot with the 'adult content' turned off in menu.

1 week later
#3309 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

you think it would be worth buying the marco ones already cut then?

why buy their 5$ magnet protectors when you can buy a 1 foot sheet from them for 7$?

they have to make money somehow, easy to make a template for those magnet mylar cutouts and have a 400% markup on the actual value of the 2 inch piece of mylar.

then you have leftover mylar for other instances.

#3396 8 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Same thing happened to my cross flasher.

pretty sure most of these metallica pros have this flasher bulb issue.

same here too after a few weeks when I had got mine.

1 month later
3 weeks later
#4211 8 years ago

has anybody noticed that it is harder than heck to score with the new code? I can't even break 100 mil anymore

#4213 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

You know what Steve Ritchie would say.......Play Better!

yah yah . i had put up 420 mil 2 times until the new code, now i can't even break 100 mil. i started do or die on IM the other day on ball 1, so i know i can play...sometimes .

#4217 8 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

192,000,000 on new code & I don't even own the game

I play about 2 games a week on metallica on location, I used to put over 100 mil on 1-2 games and walk away. I was hoping to get some rules/strategic information from anyone else that finds the new scoring system strange....play better is easier to say I suppose. I will 'play better' in both pinball and life from now on.

2 months later
#4701 8 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Has anyone purchased/installed the Stern custom backbox kit from cointaker? Either the deluxe or regular version. If so, what are your thoughts.

I had the whole kit ordered before mine was even delivered. The deluxe version with the flashers is awesome, color changing remote controller with lots of modes. you can adjust the brightness and the speed of the modes as well, I strongly recommend the best version with flashers.

cointaker video and my own machine

1 week later
#4779 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Who makes the best interactive back box lighting for Metallica? I want to add one to my pro

read up a few pages, I had posted cointakers video and my machines video of the backbox.

#4851 8 years ago

anybody had a shaker motor installed on there machine from day one, lots of gameplays?

I turned my machines volume down the other day, and noticed it sounded like the shaker had worked itself loose.....nope, basically the entire cabinet is 'shaking apart' it sounded like.

it seems as if these stern cabinets are shaking apart literally? anybody else notice this, kind of amazing. my friend and I have been discussing the 'quality' of the building materials for Stern cabinets lately, as he noticed his new KISS is super light, both the cab and the backbox when pulled off.

thoughts? had to set it to minimal shaker mode to prevent my machine from further rattling apart.

#4854 8 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Try to tighten the screws holding the shaker cover on. That's typically a culprit for excessive noise. The other is the PF glass - some extra beer-seal lockdown bar foam can help there

tightened the mounting screws as well as the cover. same noise rattle, determined its not the shaker, pressed on the pf firmly, not the pf shaking...oh well, as long as it powers up and plays

the pf glass is firmly positioned on the machine, but I may line it with electrical tape, thanks for the suggestion!

#4856 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

stern lists kiss as the same weight as its other cabs I think?

not as compared to pre spike systems I'm assuming. just going off what my buddy told me, 'I can't believe how light this kiss machine is, the backbox weights nothing' as he had to remove it for transportation.

#4860 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

And if you didn't use LockTite when installing the shaker, you'll need to tighten its mounting screws every few months.

I don't use locktite, as it seems most parts/components on machines will eventually be removed/replaced. I do tighten the mounting screws as needed (probably have done it 3 times at this point). I recall my tron didn't shake like this, but then again I probably didn't have as many gameplays.

thanks for the suggestions.

#4863 8 years ago

i wish stern didn't use locktite in the factory. i know of a xmen wolverine magnet core that is impossible to remove unless i were to heat it up. not my machine, and i don't get paid to repair it so.....

2 months later
#5619 8 years ago

My metallica Pro (not led model) is probably the last 'solid' pinball machine stern will release from the factory (SAM) IMO. With GOT pro next to it, GOT feels like it is 50 lbs lighter (no joke), its almost too easy to shift/nudge. Metallica feels like it is a Williams WPC machine compared next to the Spike. I enjoy the lighter machines for moving.....but they feel super light when playing/nudging.

anyone else notice this difference between the SAM and Spike machines?

1 week later
#5799 8 years ago

Still going strong 4G plays later

IMG_20160123_132019_(resized).jpgIMG_20160123_132019_(resized).jpg

1 month later
#6258 8 years ago

I

Quoted from Sparky:Why replace it if rejects are better?

longevity? both myself and my friend have had to replace the plastic to metal post (18$ part), and I'm sure it will fail again.
next time i'll get the full metal post.

1 month later
#6858 7 years ago

i'm finally pulling my 2013 met pro off location to enjoy it at home after 1.5 years or so. pumped up to get back into it as i don't play it hardly at all anymore.

2 months later
#7792 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Surely someone knows the part number of the broken post that is circled in this photo?

page 161 at the very bottom of the manual;
http://www.sternpinball.com/games/metallica/pro
i'd measure it, then figure out which one? good luck
metallicaspacers_(resized).JPGmetallicaspacers_(resized).JPG

Added over 8 years ago: I'm Welcome

1 month later
#8430 7 years ago
Quoted from JoshODBrown:

Does anyone know who sells the extended plastic protector that goes in above Sparkys feet to calm the airballs?

i got mine from member Rickwh on pinside. i don't know if he is still doing them, great product that has held up!

1 week later
#8466 7 years ago

not only am i an owner in the metallica club, but i am also a client.

5 months later
#10065 7 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

Quoted from KornFreak28:I have noticed that some of the plunges hit this area instead of going up the loop. Is this pretty normal or do I need to make some adjustments? Thanks!

and

Quoted from PoMC:

How far is the ball supposed to be away from the plunger at rest?

i had to bend either my left or right armature of the auto plunger in a little more, so that the ball rests equally on the auto plunger bracket. this resolved my weak auto plunges, or plunges not making it up to the pop bumpers. also had to do this with my TWD.

hope that helps.

#10084 7 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

Hmm, interesting shot. Didn't know it existed. However, on my MET, when I plunge the post pops up, stops the ball and sends it back to the lanes. Is this not normal?

you just need to press and hold down the left flipper button to access the other skills shots while plunging the ball.

2 weeks later
#10242 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Seems like the magnet in Xmen was the same too.

i've seen an X-men were the entire wolverine magnet pf area is concaved because the magnet was too high, which then mushroomed down the entire playfield surrounding it.

#10250 7 years ago

if the magent is slightly higher, the ball impacts will mushroom it down into the playfield. this picture doesn't do justice showing the depression of the surrounding pf around the magent core, but it is laughable in person.

xmen (resized).jpgxmen (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#10534 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm always confused about which multiballs can be stacked, and what order you have to start them in.

Gweem, you can only stack coffin with either sparky, graveyard, and/or snake after you have started coffin mb. you can't stack any other way.

#10536 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Thanks! So the most you can stack is two multiballs, one of them has the be coffin, and it must be started first?

yeup,

i think it's easy to get confused that you can add a ball to any multi ball by hitting the standup targets, then shoot for the snake. it may seem like stacking another mb, but you are always just adding a ball at the lit snake.

2 months later
#11108 6 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

is not slowing the ball down. 1 out of every 4 or 5 shots hits the sides of the walls prior to leaving the shooter lane causing it not make its way up the obit all the way.

well, it's not easy to distiguish out normal options with your cliffy there...

since the ball fails with both manual plunger and auto, its either or both;

1. cliffy alignment
2. ball guide allignment in shooter lane.

i bent one of my ball guides a year or 2 ago in the shooter lane. visually inspect what the ball is bouncing off first/second/third maybe when you manually plunge. just my suggestion, good luck!

#11112 6 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

How am I supposed to fix the ball guide alignment in the shooter lane?

i gently bent it with my fingers, the metal side rail ball guide on the left of the shooter lane. i would recommend plunging the ball, and see what its hitting first...that would be the problem child. i would assume either the bottom or the top could be adjusted if that is the problem.

i recall my balls would have too much movement side to side when auto plunging up the shooter lane, so this reduced movement.

2 months later
#11674 6 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

Does anyone have an opinion on the Color dmd LED version vs. LCD version, specifically in Met

i have a LCD in mine..love it. I have it set to high res, but it is a 'little' dark, but you can adjust the brightness. i left mine set to default though.

some people praise the LED as being brighter...but you don't have as many options for the dot controls.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 149.00
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ballsofsteel.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread?tu=ballsofsteel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.