IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7243 Magnet removal Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (7 years ago)

Post #8935 Buzzing flippers fix Posted by j_m_ (7 years ago)

Post #19696 Fixing random drop targets dropping Posted by swampfire (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Spelunk71.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6995 7 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I've blown F7 about 3 times in 2 years. I'm going to check out the board, please keep us updated.

Does anyone know if this is a problem in both the pros and the premiums and/or if it has been corrected in the units being shipped now? I am considering a NIB MET (also considering GB, ST, and SM VE once I can play them all and would appreciate any thoughts) and just want to know what I may be in for. Thanks.

1 year later
#12629 6 years ago

What about recently manufactured premiums? I know some people (including a local operator) have had problems with the hammer mech, but I was hoping these issues have been corrected in later runs.

#12636 6 years ago
Quoted from xbmanx:

Im on my 3rd magnet card with metallica premium. It has issues.

Sorry to hear that, but thanks for the info.

1 week later
#12760 6 years ago

Congrats, man! Let us know how it goes. I’d love to get my hands on one of these while they are still available NIB.

1 month later
#13203 5 years ago

As of a few weeks ago, Automated and Tilt Amusements had them available, but were charging full MSRP (like $7,600) because they are no longer being made. I didn’t bite at that price. Jason at Classic Game Rooms told me there might be another small run of Premiums, but it’s not currently on Stern’s
Production schedule—no guarantees. If IMDN demand is huge, that could mean another MET Prem run is less likely. Maybe I’ll wait for the vault with a—hopefully—more reliable hammer mech/magnet board!

1 year later
#16337 4 years ago

Do the music and callouts in MET come from a good quality digital source? At least on older pins, there is only so much a speaker and amp upgrade can do because the source signal quality sucks.

1 week later
#16372 4 years ago

I just installed this kit in my new Met and I concur. It sounds fantastic. And Dan is great to deal with if you have any questions.

1 month later
#16506 4 years ago

I got ball hangups from the cliffy on the left ramp drop, but mylar seems to work fine.

1 month later
#16610 4 years ago

I have the Mantis protector in mine along with some mylar around the edges. Seems to work fine with zero impact on gameplay.

2 weeks later
#16684 4 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

Were any Premium LE' made in this last batch? I contacted a couple of distributors,but no one had any Premium LE in stock. If I can't find a HUO machine,I might consider a NIB. But Id rather pick up a HUO game that has most of the bugs fixed. Can you recommend a distribtor I could contact?
Thanks
Ralph

I picked up a NIB Met Premium a couple of months ago from Trent at Tilt Amusements in Ohio. It may be a long shot, but you could check to see if he has another one.

3 months later
#16994 4 years ago

I just got an unpopulated replacement playfield from Stern for my newish Met
Premium (clearcoat issues). Any idea how much it would cost to do a playfield swap on this game? Anyone know someone in my area who would do it?

Met is a keeper for me, so I’m thinking I’ll play the hell out of the current one for a few years and then do the swap. I’m ok doing basic repairs but I’m afraid I’ll f—- it up if I attempt anything as ambitious as a full playfield swap. Thanks for any info.

2 weeks later
#17134 4 years ago

They seem like pretty decent dudes...and have the best pinball machine in the world. Not bad.

https://www.nme.com/en_au/news/music/metallica-donate-750000-to-australia-bushfire-relief-2594186?amp

1 month later
#17280 4 years ago
Quoted from t2:

Any suggestions on the best mod to add on Met Pro? Have shaker, fangs, and color dmd. Thank you

Pinwoofer kit. It’s kind of expensive but definitely worth it.

1 month later
#17454 3 years ago

Hi all. I can use some help. The right sling on my Met premium stopped working. The coil fires in test mode, but I can’t get the leaf switch to register at all. I can’t see any loose/desoldered wires and have adjusted the switch every way I could think of. Any ideas what to do next? Thanks.

#17456 3 years ago

Thanks. So all the switches on that row and column test fine except for the two switches on the right slingshot which do not register at all. Not sure if it matters, but earlier today the magnets stopped working. I replaced the fuse at F7, and all was good for a couple of games until the slingshot switches went out. I’d appreciate any other guidance.

#17458 3 years ago

Problem solved. I bent the diode a bit and now it works fine. I must have mashed it when I adjusted the switch gap after installing new Titan rings. So relieved it’s not a board issue. Thanks again for your help!

2 weeks later
#17497 3 years ago

The lower snake jaw seems to be sitting kind of high off the playfield on my Met Prem (getting lots of rejects). I’ve looked at the threads where people have added washers and/or adjusted a set screw to get the jaw to sit a bit lower, but haven’t seen good pics or a clear description of where the set screw is and exactly where to put the washers.

Has anyone done this recently who could help me out? Thanks.

1 month later
#17593 3 years ago

I finally broke 1 billion and got to End of the Line! Not such an amazing feat, but pretty cool for a mediocre player like me. I thought I’d only get that far by taking the glass off.

4E1FB25A-1947-44F0-8FEA-8A3DEA9698A4 (resized).jpeg4E1FB25A-1947-44F0-8FEA-8A3DEA9698A4 (resized).jpeg
#17599 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Mediocre? Give yourself some credit. That's an amazing feat. I can put up some decent scores on games but still have not got EOTL or anywhere close to that score. You have to make a lot accurate shots to get that far.

Thanks, dude. Unfortunately, I kind of choked in EOTL itself and couldn’t bump the default high score off the board. Kind of hurts, but now there’s something else to shoot for! Quarantine has been good for my pinball skills I guess.

2 weeks later
#17621 3 years ago

Anyone noticed a bug in the Crank it Up modes (and maybe elsewhere?) where you get an extra ball with a scoop shot, the machine acknowledges the extra ball as normal, but the extra ball is not actually awarded after draining? It’s happened to me a couple of times recently. Super annoying.

#17624 3 years ago

Ahh...mystery solved. Thanks. It always happens in an epic (for me) game, so that makes sense.

4 months later
2 months later
#18000 3 years ago

I was getting some ball hangups in the orbit area behind Sparky. When I investigated, I noticed an empty hole near the pop-up post. Is that supposed to be that way? Could someone check to see what hardware should be there and on the underside? I couldn’t find it in the manual. Thanks!

1E347166-DADA-45F1-A6F1-590F62DF950D (resized).jpeg1E347166-DADA-45F1-A6F1-590F62DF950D (resized).jpegD8EC7AA4-7BE9-482E-906E-A00B11FA089B (resized).jpegD8EC7AA4-7BE9-482E-906E-A00B11FA089B (resized).jpeg
#18003 3 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Same here. No hole, and no graphics to indicate a hole there. Mine is a first-run Pro.

Hmm...looks like a mystery here. Mine is a late-run premium. Any info appreciated.

1 week later
#18028 3 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

What’s your build date? I have a first run premium and I don’t have that... I think mines 7-2-13

Mine is October 2018.

2 months later
#18340 3 years ago

Wow, that Sparky looks fantastic! Re: protection, maybe add some mylar with wax underneath for easy removal? Not sure how well it would hold up over time with all the bashing, though...

1 month later
#18522 2 years ago

Hi all. As I was cleaning the playfield on my late-run, low play premium, I noticed this playfield chip. Anyone else have this happen in that area? Anything to do to keep it from getting worse?

526198E4-289F-44CA-B150-072215B1182C (resized).jpeg526198E4-289F-44CA-B150-072215B1182C (resized).jpeg7626FC78-3712-4821-8082-33EF4FC3F367 (resized).jpeg7626FC78-3712-4821-8082-33EF4FC3F367 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#18631 2 years ago

Have any of you guys done a playfield swap on a Met? I got one of the crap playfields on my premium. It’s not too bad, but I have a spare playfield and sometimes wonder how much of a bear it would be to bite the bullet and do it. I can do basic repairs, maintenance, and rudimentary soldering but haven’t done anything too complex.

#18637 2 years ago

Thanks for the info. You’re helping me get the courage to give it a shot.

#18639 2 years ago

This is great advice. Thanks so much.

2 weeks later
#18730 2 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

Problem with the blade protectors is they are too bulky to post overseas so guys like me have little chance of purchasing. DOH

If you are located in Europe you can probably get them here: https://pu-parts.com/pinball-assembly-blades

#18737 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I went years being careful and still scuffing my blades and wish I had bought these a long time ago.

Same here. I see how construction paper would work fine in many cases, but some games have a pretty tight fit. That paper would get chewed up right quick. My Met mirror blades are pristine. $35 well spent.

4 weeks later
#18893 2 years ago

I think the same guy also used to make a real knocker kit for Met. I’d love to get one. Pinball Life has them for Spike games but not SAM. Any other ideas?

#18909 2 years ago

Real knockers are so much better than fake.

#18916 2 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Could someone tell me what color lights the premium uses around the sling shots/lanes?

Red, white, and blue.

6A66E389-6714-4ED0-A50C-D6C6AEAE4B8B (resized).jpeg6A66E389-6714-4ED0-A50C-D6C6AEAE4B8B (resized).jpeg
#18918 2 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

just a quick question regarding the start button. Would the spike 2 start buttons fit or work on a SAM cabinet so you don't have a recessed hole showing? Has anyone tried this also on a spike 1 system? Looking at my Jurassic park it seems a cleaner look and hides any misalignments of the decal in that area

I don’t think so, unless you shave some wood off the SAM hole.

#18931 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

This is a family site sir!

Hey, I can’t control where the minds of the depraved may wander…

10 months later
#20049 1 year ago

Is anyone making a real knocker kit for Met these days? I know someone made them for SAM games a few years ago, but I haven’t been able to find one.

3 weeks later
#20125 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

Is there any way to make it activate the microswitch earlier? The issue isn't left or right, it's that the switch doesn't' depress until the wire is basically level with the playfield. If the ball doesn't hit it perfectly it won't activate and all of the other seem to depress the microswitch about 5mm above the playfield.

Those wireforms are malleable and manipulating them a bit should let you adjust where the switch activates. If it seems too far gone you could always just replace the switch.

3 months later
#20401 1 year ago

Looks like Pinball Life has a new real knocker kit for Stern SAM machines! https://www.pinballlife.com/real-knocker-kit-for-stern-sam-machines.html

I had been waiting for this one. I do love me some knockers.

1 week later
#20403 1 year ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

Looks like Pinball Life has a new real knocker kit for Stern SAM machines! https://www.pinballlife.com/real-knocker-kit-for-stern-sam-machines.html
I had been waiting for this one. I do love me some knockers.

Update: I installed the kit and double-checked the wiring, but it instantly blows the fuse in the knocker board on power up. I suggest holding off on ordering until I hear back from PBL on the issue. Bummer.

#20405 1 year ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Did they get you the updated harness? They emailed me right away after purchasing stating the harness was wrong, to not install it.

No. I went through a bunch of fuses, gave up trying, and emailed them about the problem. Still waiting to hear back.

#20407 1 year ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

I have three knockers in my PBL shopping cart, was making sure I didn't need anything else before making purchase. Now I'll continue shopping and make sure all good before checking out. Thanks for the last few posts.

They are working with me now. Hopefully it will be a simple fix. Will keep you posted.

#20410 1 year ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

I have three knockers in my PBL shopping cart, was making sure I didn't need anything else before making purchase. Now I'll continue shopping and make sure all good before checking out. Thanks for the last few posts.

I realized that I had one of the connectors plugged in upside down temporarily. Apparently that was enough to fry the board. They are sending me a new one. PBL (Scott D) said they will try to manufacture the part differently to avoid this possibility, but you should be ok as long as you make sure to plug everything in EXACTLY as it appears in the instructions. Good luck.

#20413 1 year ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

I realized that I had one of the connectors plugged in upside down temporarily. Apparently that was enough to fry the board. They are sending me a new one. PBL (Scott D) said they will try to manufacture the part differently to avoid this possibility, but you should be ok as long as you make sure to plug everything in EXACTLY as it appears in the instructions. Good luck.

Just to close the loop, I installed the replacement board today and it works great. Thanks, PBL. Time to get knockin’!

1 month later
#20482 1 year ago

Kaneda mentioned a rumor recently that Stern may be coming out with a “new” version of Metallica. The band apparently didn’t want to just do a standard vault but something different—maybe updated to LCD, for example? This could all just be BS, but curious if others have any thoughts or info on this possibility.

1 month later
#20652 1 year ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Correct. And once you do this I believe the bonus song is then unlocked in the song select menu. I've owned my game for years and still haven't managed to complete 4 CIU modes

Yep, I only did it once and unlocked The End of the Line. Now that song appears as part of the overall song menu and is selectable just like the other songs.

1 month later
#20715 1 year ago
Quoted from splitcms:

This question has probably been asked a lot but is there anything one can do in order to improve the hammer magnet on a Metallica premium/LE? It’ll only catch from a soft rebounded shot off the snake.

Maybe try a new magnet board. I know Stern improved them at some point. Maybe you have the old version? I have a late run machine and the hammer seems to work well.

1 month later
#20813 11 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Well dang, looks like I have to be a mod to make a post a “key post”. :-/

Looks like a promotion to moderator is in order, or maybe just a rule change so OPs can mark key posts subject to mods’ ability to overrule them.

2 weeks later
#20897 10 months ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

If not Tron let’s hope it’s GB - Prem

GB is Spike, not SAM.

3 weeks later
#20975 10 months ago
Quoted from Anony:

Color DMD does the art justice... the art on the DMD is so good and when it's all one color you just can't get the same level of appreciation for the detail as when its in color. I think it's one of the best, if not the best mod you can do for this game.

Agreed. Color DMD and Pinwoofer enhance the overall experience tremendously. Not cheap, but definitely worth it.

3 months later
#21175 6 months ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Will there be a rerun of the sparky toy?

Does Sparky tend to break over time? Mine is still ok after a few years, but now I regret not buying a spare when prices weren’t insane.

2 months later
#21420 3 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

If there is a new Metallica, I believe it will be all new.

I’m guessing it will be the same art and layout, but “upgraded” with a LCD screen with maybe some concert footage added. Add some new armor and voilá—“new” game for double the price of the original.

1 month later
#21534 73 days ago

Not pinball related, but I just went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and saw these original notes/lyrics for Enter Sandman on display. Pretty cool.

IMG_2159 (resized).jpegIMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#21605 46 days ago

So…thoughts on Kaneda’s latest bombshell breaking news from a supposedly reliable source? The rumor is Stern’s next game will be a new version of Metallica—new layout, code, animations, art, etc. According to K-man it will be the first game on the Spike 3 platform, featuring more memory and processing power.

#21630 41 days ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Didn't Stern do a "Last Call" on Metallica & AC/DC back in the day? If they did, I would think they wouldn't be able to "Vault" it again.

“Last call” until the bar—or pinball factory—opens for business tomorrow.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy
Hardware
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 29.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Baltimore, MD
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 199.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Shark
Decals
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.50
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
6,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hoover, AL
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 26.50
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Spelunk71.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread?tu=Spelunk71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.