51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7243 Magnet removal Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (7 years ago)

Post #8935 Buzzing flippers fix Posted by j_m_ (7 years ago)

Post #19696 Fixing random drop targets dropping Posted by swampfire (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Kawydud.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5287 8 years ago

Has anyone messed around with changing the color inserts on the Premium/LE models? Wondering what color might look good on the electric chair inserts instead of white. I changed out the boards in the Mystery insert to red/blue. Looks much nicer.

IMG_0263.jpgIMG_0263.jpg

#5292 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I have the color changing LEDs in my mystery hole and I think it looks great.

Maybe someday they will make color changing boards, but for now the red and blue will have to do.

#5297 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Must be a premium thing for the mystery hole lights as the pro just uses standard 44 lamps.

Yes, pretty much all of the inserts are LED boards instead of fixtures.

#5322 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

My MET Premium has about 100+ differences than stock, maybe I will make a video.
Some changes are internal including PCB boards, and items such as a real knocker installed in the lower cabinet.
There was already too much going in the backbox, and it is the new metal version. I am not drilling any more holes in it, like I had to do for my custom topper.

What colors did you change out the stock boards for? Thinking of going with blue for the electric chair inserts.

#5326 8 years ago

Understood, like the pinduino board I have on Iron Man. Programmable to whatever you would like. I did purchase a spare kit, just haven't gotten around to playing with it.

2 months later
#6339 8 years ago
Quoted from Humph:

Yeah, still have the cube, but like the Newton ball much better. Didn't have massive air balls after I did the Newton ball swap even after 50-60 plays, but immediate airballs after installing the carbon fiber magnet protector.

The thick protectors will make balls bounce up. I came up with these simple vinyl covers that can be replaced at the first sign of any wear. They are cheap as well. 10 for $12.00 mailed first class in the U.S.

IMG_0143_(resized).JPGIMG_0143_(resized).JPG

#6419 8 years ago

I would use mylar, seems the carbon fiber pieces are a bit too thick.

At least with the mylar you can replace it if there are any signs of wear.

I made some really large ones around the Sparky magnet for my LE.

3 weeks later
#6608 8 years ago

http://cointaker.com/products/stern-spike-led

Give them a call as I don't see SAM ones on their website right now. I know they used to offer them. Not even sure if their is a difference between the boards of SAM and Spike.

Sam and Spike light boards are the same. I ordered a bunch for Metallica. Here is the mystery hole done in blue and red instead of all white.

IMG_0263_(resized).JPGIMG_0263_(resized).JPG

#6610 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Ooh man. I have been scoffing at this idea, but that looks really cool.

Its actually a lot easier than I thought it would be. I have different light boards from pinbits for the fuel indicators. These new ones from Cointaker are bigger and brighter than original. Maybe someday they will have color changing boards, that would look really good in the mystery insert.

1 week later
#6805 8 years ago

I bought the FF speakers for my METLE, noticed a much better sound over stock speakers, but everyone has different ideas on what sounds good. Get in someones car and the stereo is always adjusted differently than you like it. Metallica doesn't seem to benefit from the powered sub like my Star Trek or Iron Man does.

1 month later
#7277 7 years ago

Anyone get the Dirty Donny shirt? Mine arrived today.

IMG_0787_(resized).JPGIMG_0787_(resized).JPG

#7284 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

How is the quality of the shirt? Looks awesome.

Seems like a decent shirt, pretty heavy material.

1 month later
#7854 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

What mylar are you guys using for the magnets? I have some that are a whole circle that will cover the entire magnet. Is it a bad idea to use that?

I make all sorts of mylar circles and cut outs for games, have a big one made up for Sparky, as well as ones for the hammer hole and standard magnets. Can make them clear, or colored for the small magnets.

#7858 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

This may be a stupid question, but why would a person want a colored piece of mylar on their playfield?

some put them around the magnets to match the play field areas. Green and purple on some of the Iron Man. I typically use a black ring around my magnets and a large clear piece around Monger and Sparky.

1 week later
#7999 7 years ago

Has anyone with a premium/LE ever messed with the larger LED boards that light up three inserts? I know these also control all of the insert lighting as well. I am trying to change the color of the "Electrocution switch" inserts to blue. Three of the five of them are attached to the main boards, which light up 2 other inserts. I am going to see if I can solder in wires to power up a separate blue led board, just wanted to see if anyone else has attempted this.

#8026 7 years ago

I figured I would post this for anyone else who may want to change the "Sparky" insert colors. Since the led lights for the inserts are mounted on the control boards, you have solder in wires to power the colored boards. The first picture shows the two wires that I attached to the lighting control board. Stern was nice enough to have connection points on the board to solder the wires in. I simply solder the other end onto a colored led board and mounted the board to the insert. Came out pretty nice.

IMG_0956_(resized).JPGIMG_0956_(resized).JPG
IMG_0957_(resized).JPGIMG_0957_(resized).JPG

#8042 7 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I posted this on Instagram and FB the other day.

Did the same mod to mine, used 2 green ones.

2 weeks later
#8167 7 years ago

Change your captive ball to green.

IMG_0905_(resized).JPGIMG_0905_(resized).JPG

#8174 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Of course , kawydud picks green

Not just a Kawasaki thing.

#8175 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

That looks wayy cool! Where did you get it?

Captive ball is from Pinball Life, balls are from here. http://mezelmods.com/products/pinball-glo-balls?variant=1314803548

#8176 7 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Snake eggs!
Why not hide the wires inside the hammer handle?

I don't know why I didn't do that, but now it will be.

Thanks

1 month later
#8609 7 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Seems pinball life does not sell the super shiny balls anymore, what do you all recommend for Metallica? I am due...
Thanks!

It is possible they are just out, they usually take them off the site when there is no stock.

1 month later
#8812 7 years ago

Been sick of looking at the plain white fuel inserts on my MOPLE. Bought some gels, but didn't like the way they turned out. So I soldered in wires and installed four new LED light boards to get them colored. Turned out very nice.

#8814 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

what color/board did you use for the 'F', 'U' and 'E'? those look nice
can you provide a link?

The boards are red, orange, yellow, and green. Got the boards from Cointaker. Hardest part is wiring into the existing light board connections. Here is the link for the lights, don't worry that they are called "Spike" LEDS. http://cointaker.com/products/stern-spike-led

#8816 7 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

looks grea kawydud. when willing to solder and reconfigure, almost anything is possible. in my experience, too many pinheads mistakenly think that prem/Le's are harder to customize.
the one thing i will say, that is potentially faster and easier is to simply cram some colored tissue paper under the in the underside of the insert under pf (i made my well walker insert on my twdle a green color and the blood bath insert, you guessed it, red with about 2-3 mins of effort. I've done both soldering and tissue paper depending on the application and my effort level at the time.

I tried different gels inside the inserts, just didn't like how they looked. The new boards have much larger and brighter LEDs than the stock Stern insert lights. I just covered them up with black electrical tape.

#8819 7 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

good call, I use electrical tape liberally under my pf's to prevent bleed from one insert/flasher to another. It's the little things...

Just realized we are competing in the ultimate stern fan contest, well we are both in it. I am way out of the competition.

#8823 7 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

i haven't checked the standings a single time yet. i don't like how it's a popularity contest. I think with exclusively sterns including a bm66le otw (excluding RZ, which i'll have eventually) decked to the 9's like very few others, along with a tattoo, plus attending 3-4 conventions a year and running Atlanta's only weekly league that i deserve it. if you agree please vote for me. I'm Kevin Grillo with the Metallica tattoo. i will select a batman premium, sell it at a more than fair discount NIB, donate half proceeds to pinball charities and keep half. (got divorced this year... yikes)
http://www.ultimatesternpinballfan.com

Completely agree with you, it isn't the ultimate Stern fan who will win, just the person who can get the most votes. Should have gone through a judging panel, not an internet vote.

1 week later
#8877 7 years ago
Quoted from FlipperMagician:

I will definitely be changing out some if not all of the GI though, too fu*kin bright for my taste. I believe I have enough of the same leds in frosted on hand to make that happen. Also not crazy about the red/blue mixture in some spots, particularly the slings and inlanes so I'll be fiddling with that as well. I know these are there so the lighting can go all blue or red for certain modes, but it just looks wonky to me at all other times.
I'm open to ideas as to what others have done here, I can't be the only one.

Definitely change those bulbs out to frosted, even the red and blue. Don't go changing the colors though as the blue and red are mixed to create the light show on the premiums and LE games.

IMG_0047 (resized).JPGIMG_0047 (resized).JPG

IMG_0048 (resized).JPGIMG_0048 (resized).JPG

IMG_0049 (resized).JPGIMG_0049 (resized).JPG

IMG_0050 (resized).JPGIMG_0050 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#9144 7 years ago

All of the games posted here seem to be missing the stars on the flippers. Is that a special order or something?

IMG_1390 (resized).JPGIMG_1390 (resized).JPG

#9145 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I bought a met pro in December with a November 2, 2016 date stamp on the playfield that shipped directly from Stern, I have no issues with the playfield. Normal dimpling and no chipping or ghosting issues. In fact, of all the NIB games I've bought, this one required the least amount of adjusting and was almost perfect out of the box. Only thing I had to do was tighten the switch for the snake as it was registering only sporadically.

You do notice the clear lifting by the ball return right?

#9153 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Guys, chill out, the clear is not lifting, it's a slight discoloration in the wood. Man, people trying to find fire where there's no smoke. I also looked very closely at every single insert, all perfect.
This is lifting...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/183#post-3555549

I don't mind either way, my MOPLE probably has clear being worn off in that area. It just looked like it was not sticking to the wood there. My bad.

1 month later
#10293 7 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Where did you buy the gels? I need some too.

Even better, change out the white lights for colored on the LE and premium.

2 weeks later
#10479 7 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

Does anyone offer a FULL SET of Orange protectors for Metallica Premium? I know Mezel Mods offers the lower half, Pinbits offers a full set but only in florescent green. For me Orange, Blue Purple goes better with the PF.
Thanks

These guys sell them in different colors. https://www.lightsoutpinball.com/store.html#!/Metallica-All-versions-Flourescent-Plastic-Set-6-Pieces/p/58740752/category=16139807

2 weeks later
#10588 7 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Just curious, have any LE/premium owners replaced their bright white G.I. LEDs to warm white? I'm wondering how it looks. I have a pile of warm whites, just not the 555 wedge bulbs.

I haven't changed the color, only changed all of them to frosted, blue and red as well. If anything I would try swapping the cool white with sunlight white. Warm white might take away the changing light effect.

3 weeks later
#10774 6 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

I put a plastic cover on the mystery hole lights to give them a more diffused look.
» YouTube video

I changed mine to red and blue light boards, gives it a nice purple look.

IMG_0263 (resized).JPGIMG_0263 (resized).JPG

#10777 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I think he's talking about the two bulbs over the scoop.

My bad, thought it was the insert. I installed frosted bulbs for those two. Had to drill out the metal just a touch to get the bulbs to fit correctly.

1 week later
#10819 6 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

To hold the spot lights in,
I just use a wrap of electrical , black , tape around the led base.
Lift the wires on the bulb do a nice tight wrap, then bend the wires back into position ,
Good to go.

Has anyone seen the holders Stern is using on the new games for the spot lights? There is a piece of wire that clips on the bulb and goes to the back that keeps the bulb in place. Pretty neat clip.

#10821 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I haven't noticed this. On what game did they start using this new type of holder?

I don't know what game they started using them, I noticed them on the Aerosmith that we picked up at Allentown. I think they may have been on Ghostbusters that we were working on as well.

Of course searching through the manuals, they don't show that piece of wire. Simple little fix to a problem that has been going on for years.

1 week later
#10881 6 years ago
Quoted from roddog:

Just woke up and checked the magnet. Not sure where the ceramic resistor should be or what it looks like. Nothing is visibly fried around the magnet though.

Post a picture of the magnet board.

#10884 6 years ago
Quoted from roddog:

apologies for my lack of knowledge here, which board is the magnet board?

This is what the board should look like. http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-6801-00

It is mounted on the bottom of the playfield. The 4th picture on the page shows where it is mounted.

#10919 6 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

If I wanted to change the color of the F U E L lights on my premium, is it just a matter of swapping out LED's?

The fuel lights on the premium and the LE are controlled by one single board, not those single small LED boards. I did not like the look of the gels after I tried them, so I removed the light board and soldered wires into the open ports on the board. Then I installed color light boards under each insert. Came out much better in my opinion.

IMG_0945 (resized).JPGIMG_0945 (resized).JPG

IMG_0956 (resized).JPGIMG_0956 (resized).JPG

#10922 6 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

I love that helping hands contraption you have in your second pic. Where did you get it?
I am not sure I want to do the soldering. I may stick with the gel option.

It is very simple to do the work. I actually changed out all of the sparky white inserts to blue as well. Some were just single board LED, while others were grouped into a triple board.

Here is the board holder I bought. https://www.amazon.com/Aven-17010-Adjustable-Circuit-Holder/dp/B00Q2TTQEE/ref=sr_1_13

1 month later
#11100 6 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

I am at a loss. I tried putting some washers on the plunger to move it back abit, I tried bending the auto launch to make better contact with the ball. Same issue. . I am looking at the metal fork ramp and it doesn’t look center with the ball cavity. See how the arrow of the play field isn’t center with the metal fork. Its shifted slightly to the left. Is that normal?

I couldn't get a good look at where your shooter tip is compared to the ball at rest. For some reason the Stern shooter rods are a bit shorter than most. I have replaced most of my shooter rods on my Stern games to get the tip of the plunger touching the ball at rest. If it isn't touching, the shooter rod has to go past its resting point to get any force on the ball. Which makes it a very weak plunge. Swapping out the shooter rod with any aftermarket one makes the plunge so much simpler. If it is the auto launch mech that is giving you fits, there are a lot of threads with fixes for that.

Here is a picture of my stock Iron Man shooter rod next to the new one I bought, a bit of difference in length.

IMG_2707 (resized).JPGIMG_2707 (resized).JPG

#11102 6 years ago

I'll take some pics when I get home. I don't think that fork ramp should be slowing the ball down, as long as there is the correct amount of force, it will just guide it one way or another.

Did the ball always have an issues launching, or is this a new problem?

2 weeks later
#11243 6 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

Also looks like you get the non-warning version if you buy the full decal set from Marco (or others). However, I was hoping to not have to pay $50 just for that one decal...
The seizure warning is really a detraction from the great look that the rest of the game has, IMO

Too bad Pinball Life doesn't just have the single decal like they do for Iron Man. http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3758

2 weeks later
#11359 6 years ago
Quoted from JB-7X:

I've owned my met premium for about a month now and pretty much everything has been smooth sailing but I am however a first time pin owner and I'm now having an issue with my GI lighting.
It was starting to flicker/ strobe a bit here and there at random times, usually right after a ball launch. After clocking around 500 plays so far I knew it wasn't normal. Yesterday when I fired up my game I had absolutely zero GI lights. All my insert lighting is functional but all of my white lights are out. Anyone able to point me in the direction of where to trouble shoot this issue?

Is it only the white GI lights that are out? It should have white/red/blue GI lights if it is a premium.

#11376 6 years ago
Quoted from nighttaco:

What's a good color to change the Sparky Led spotlights to? Or is white the best?

Ice Blue flashers from Comet look killer

#11394 6 years ago
Quoted from JB-7X:

After a trip to Home Depot and purchase of a pack of RJ11 contacts, a 100 ft length of cat5 cable , and a RJ11 crimper for $50 I made myself a new data cable and I still don't have my GI. Probably could have ordered one somewhere for cheaper but I want to get my game going asap and don't want to wait for shipping. This is a bummer. I'm going to call my distributor tomorrow hopefully and reach out for some of his tech support otherwise I'll have to give 1 800 kickers a go and try to make some headway.
All of my fuses are good as well. Im still totally open for other suggestions from some of you OG pinheads if you have any other recommendations of where else to start looking.

Do they wire the data cable the same as standard? Maybe the wiring is different.

#11396 6 years ago

Here is a pic of the wiring diagram, showing the in and out of the data cable.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#11531 6 years ago

They said the same about AC/DC, as long as there is a demand for them, Stern will build them.

1 week later
#11545 6 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Anyone have pics of where mylar should be placed on this? I have heard places like the lower apron area, but don't know exactly where. Also, has any form of protection been made for the edges of the drain in the form of a cliffy or something? I have seen instances of the drain chipping clear at the very edge.

I think that is what people are referring to when they mention the lower apron, protecting the edge on the drain. I have taken clear and wrapped it around the edge.

#11587 6 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Has anyone else contemplated applying mylar to the ramps? They are just so beautiful and I would hate to ever end up seeing them get ball trails in the centers.

Polish those babies up with never dull, or any type of metal polish. They come out great.

1 month later
#11820 6 years ago

I understand it is a NIB game, but is it NIB from a couple years ago? Just curious if it was built back when they were building Star Trek. I think that was around the time they had issues with Metallica decals.

3 weeks later
#11998 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Anyone know who sells the extended sparky plastic? Mine broke.

I bought this one in green for mine. - don't know why they don't have a picture of it.
https://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_74&products_id=630&zenid=b5e061193b20d1b07fc282d4be680968

#12001 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Without a picture, is this an extended one, or just a replacement for the factory stock one(same size). I bought mine from a pinsider, and it's been great, but cracked finally.

This is the one, found a pic someone posted on pinside of it.

f8ec137162d2c7c8d78a5e4600b4ec8f26380462 (resized).jpgf8ec137162d2c7c8d78a5e4600b4ec8f26380462 (resized).jpg

#12032 6 years ago

I used the green ones for the captive ball.

IMG_0905 (resized).JPGIMG_0905 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#12116 6 years ago

Has anyone every compared artwork on the original games, and the newer ones, say 2015? I have an original LE, and the artwork on the playfield is so much clearer than the newer pro. This pro also has issues with the cabinet decals shrinking, but that is a different problem. See pictures attached.

Second pic is the pro, colors washed out pretty bad on the faces.

IMG_2926(1) (resized).JPGIMG_2926(1) (resized).JPG
IMG_0050(1) (resized).JPGIMG_0050(1) (resized).JPG

#12122 6 years ago

I think the biggest thing I noticed was the coloring of the 4 band members. The newer one has them all about the same shade, where the original had much more vibrant colors for each one.

3 weeks later
#12282 6 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Ho, ho, ho... here's a holiday freebie.
I wasn't happy with the uneven lighting of the four lights (cross, electric chair switch, coffin, and snake) down by the flippers. So I designed a light holder for all four lights that centers them on their inserts so you get even illumination.

I left off the holes on the mounting tabs because it appears that Stern was not very precise/consistent about where they screwed in the 4 light mounts. So I leave it up to you to drill the bracket where you want them. I was able to use one of the existing screw holes on my playfield (and carefully tapped a new hole for the other side). Also, to make printing easier, the mounting tabs are thicker than the originals, so you'll have to use screws that are ~1/4" longer.
Just remove the four old light mounts that are haphazardly screwed in, and replace with the new one-piece holder. Clip your lights in and you're done.
Here's a pic of the old mounts and the new printed replacement:

You can download the STL file from my site if you'd like to print your own: http://scoresaves.com/pinball/Met_4-lights.7z
I've printed up an extra one. First person to reply here can have it for free. I pay shipping.

thanks for the file, looks like site may be down for a bit, maybe too many people downloading file.

#12300 6 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Not sure if it was down, but my site is up now. If you have any trouble just let me know and I'll email the file to you directly.

Thanks, got the file. Appreciate the generosity!

#12306 6 years ago

Nephew printed out a couple of those light brackets.

26240600_1317152321764188_6450082991667027443_o (resized).jpg26240600_1317152321764188_6450082991667027443_o (resized).jpg

1 week later
#12361 6 years ago

This is just an FYI of what I have found to fix my drop target issue on Metallica LE. Since day one it has had issues registering hits on the drop targets. I didn't notice it wasn't working at first since I didn't pay attention that the switch was registering when the drop target went down. Once I realized the first two drop targets weren't registering when dropping, I removed the assembly and tested it while in the air. It seemed like the drop targets were too far away from the opto, so they didn't register. (At least that is what I thought) I drilled out the bracket some to move the assemblies just a little closer to the drop targets and tested it again, bingo, targets now registering.
So being the OCD person that I am, I couldn't let the drilled out bracket remain, I ordered a new bracket and finally swapped out all the parts the other night. Put it in the game, and of course it is back to the same issue again. So now I know it isn't the complete bracket, must be the opto board. But I know it is working, just have to get the targets closer or something. Since the opto works on reflecting light back, I decided to try one more thing before buying a new opto board. I designed pieces in my sign software to go where the opto interrupter is on the drop target. Just installed the assembly back in the game, and everything is now perfect, the chrome vinyl I installed is obviously reflecting more back to the opto so that it knows its being tripped.

IMG_3165 (resized).jpgIMG_3165 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#12911 6 years ago

Credits do not disappear by default when you power cycle a game.

1 week later
#12959 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

what is the preferred flipper color (not taste wise but gameplay wise) - I've been using black....

Mine with purple super bands, and purple logos. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/183#post-3555098

2 weeks later
#13159 6 years ago

Anyone else ever get so pissed at this game? Probably what draws me back to it so much. I have an LE, and that left return lane bounces out more balls up and over into the outlane than any pro I have ever played. We have a bunch in the area, and I seem to be able to get to CIU pretty consistently on those machines. Last night, I was lucky to just get Sparky multiball once.

#13174 6 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Have you played a Guardians of the Galaxy. The left outlane on it is much worse!

I believe it is identical to Metallica. From the ones that I have played.

1 week later
#13236 6 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

Thanks for the feedback guys! And what about colors? I heard that the colors of an LCD version are more 'faint' and that the LED version is brighter. Since Met's LED GI is very bright as well I thought the LED might be a better combination.
Too bad I'm not able to check both out and send one back...

The LED vs LCD debate is all about preference. I personally like the LCD versions, my good friend loves the LED. I actually bought on of the first LED displays for my HS2, hated the way it looked. Swapped it with my friend because he loved it over the LCD.

6 months later
#14657 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I think I got the post issue fixed. Also, I took the fangs out of the snake, and that seems to have sorted that problem with the ball hanging in the job.
Grave targets are still not registering all clean shots. Is it likely the spring that needs replacing here?
And last thing, for the out outlane posts, is the factory default UP (hard) or DOWN (easy)?
Thanks.

When you say the drop targets are not registering, do you mean they are not going down? Or are they going down and not registering in the game?

#14666 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Good point. They are just not going down

You have to mess with the washers to get the targets to fall just right. I had to adjust my LE after it was new, they wouldn't go down nicely, or they would go down by themselves. Once you get the proper washer spacing in the mech, they will work fine.

1 month later
#15213 5 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

The e-clip on the bottom rail at the back of the first target was in the groove on the bar. But the outside rim of the e-clip was leaning toward the first target.
So the e-clip was cone shaped a bit.

You probably have to mess with the washer spacing on the drop target. I have had to fix two of our route games that were not staying up correctly, as well as my personal one.

#15221 5 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Thanks! I have been trying to avoid taking that mech apart since its full of springs and washers and clips.
Do you have specific washers you swapped? Or just play around and adjust to fix whats wrong at the time?

Each one seemed to need different washers, but yeah - I took it all apart.

#15224 5 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

Can anyone tell me which part number I need to add playfield support brackets to Metallica Pro?

https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-playfield-support-slide-bracket-kit-for-sam-machines.html

2 weeks later
#15440 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Not sure if it's the same problem my game had when I got it from the previous owner, but the coil bracket had shifted a bit making it difficult for the post to pop up.
I unscrewed it from the bottom of the pf, took the coil sleeve out to give it a cleaning, and then reassembled and manually popped it up to ensure it was smoothly passing through the hole.
Have had no issues since.
Now just have to figure out what the first grave marker drops down as soon as a game/ball is started. Once the mech fires that markers up, the first one almost always drops.
I replaced the spring with the same part number, but no difference.
I have the replacement marker kit from PBL, so figure if I can't get the old marker to work, maybe replacing it could do the trip.
Any thoughts?

You will need to mess with the washers to get the target to sit the right amount on the ledge. No spring will fix the issue.

1 week later
#15479 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Can you post a pic of this?

He is referring to the ledge on the drop target. If it is broken, the target would never stay up.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#15482 5 years ago

I don't think Metallica has those, though I may be wrong. The inline drop targets rest on the metal bracket.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#15491 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Yes, it rests on the metal frame.
Here's a video showing it in coil test.
I took it apart and tightened everything up but still does not fix the issue.

Might require a road trip, you aren't that far away. I am betting the first target is barely sitting on the metal ledge. It is much easier to work on that mech when it is out of the game. It comes out as one assembly very easily.

#15501 5 years ago

Never understood why they didn't use frosted to begin with. The clear lens bulbs always have blinding spots. Not like the frosted bulbs cost anymore. I replaced all the bulbs in all of my games to frosted.

#15506 5 years ago
Quoted from bsobie:

Which brand of frosted bulbs would you suggest? My Metallica is the led pro

Like they said, I used the comet twin smd 2835 frosted bulbs.

2 weeks later
#15623 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Eddie:

Thanks Neal, for the life of me I tried searching but guess I didn’t use the right terms.
We’ll Plan B, time to get creative.
Thanks again for the quick confirmation.

Don't give up, plenty of NIB games at distributors.

1 month later
#15977 5 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Are you considering a custom sparky from him as well?!?! I clearly recommend still never met the man.. told him I'm buying him a beer when we do!

Does he still sell the hammers?

#15981 5 years ago
Quoted from mcuzz:

Yes , contact him he has 2 versions the other one has a skull on it.

Sent him a pm, thanks.

3 months later
#16420 4 years ago

2015 Pro metal back box here at the shop, square inserts. Besides, has anyone ever seen a cross insert blank? Every insert I have seen is square, round, triangle, or lightning bolt style. Haven't seen a blank cross insert ever.

3 weeks later
#16512 4 years ago

Just finished up installing the pinwoofer super kit in my MOPLE. This is the second kit I have purchased, first one was for AC/DC. All I can say is wow, so crisp and clear now. Hearing sounds I never heard before, just like what happened with AC/DC. The only difference this time was I actually had aftermarket pinball speakers in Metallica to begin with, along with a powered external sub. I removed all of that and installed the complete kit. So frigging happy, it is almost like having a new game to play again.

3 weeks later
#16594 4 years ago

A 1/2" ratchet and the correct size socket loosens that jam nut every time, never had to heat any of the 3 games up that we have.

3 months later
#16869 4 years ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

New owner here (monster premium), amazing machine, a quick new owner question. I've only played this in bars so never really noticed this before, but those LED flashers behind the tombstone, wow. I'm seeing spots after they're blinking for a while. Not sure if there's mod that sits in front of them or anywhere between them and my line of sight, or how you've dealt with this. I have to look slightly away when they're flashing.

I changed out the flashers to orange and red.

Noticed you are in Leominster, will be there Thanksgiving week at our new location doing inventory.

1 month later
#17078 4 years ago
Quoted from mizzou:

I've run into a few issues on my met premium.
1. After replacing the speaker (old one got impaled) I noticed all the bass on the games sound is gone. I thought I soldered the two wires back on just like the old speaker...maybe I missed something
2. I keep getting a technician alert that the snake jaw is unable to close. I dont see anything jamming it or getting in the way. I started a game and put the ball in there and it didn't register...that makes me think bad switch..but that doesn't explain the jaw not closing..does it?
The ball trough is always reading switch 22 as closed, so it thinks there's a 5th ball when there isn't. The machine goes into vall search mode and won't start. If you take a ball out it thinks there are 4 and will play.
Any thoughts?
[quoted image][quoted image]

What speaker did you use for a replacement? The one in the cabinet is a sub.

The snake jaw is probably a bad switch, go through the switch test and see if it activates when it is supposed to.

Same thing with your ball trough issue, run the switch test and put one ball in at a time. We have a lot of trough issues with our routed games.

1 week later
#17169 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

External subwoofer is a must. Id do that before the dmd if funds are limited.

Install a pinwoofer kit instead, I removed my external sub after it being installed on my LE from day one. The pinwoofer kit is hands down a much better sound. But if you really want a powered sub, I have two spares now that are just collecting dust.

1 month later
#17375 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

So, I installed translucent drop targets to replace the MET grave drop targets. I’m going to use an LED strip to light them up and make them glow. However, the drop targets are not working now? I wrapped electrical tape around the tab where the opto is, so the opto would work correctly. I tried the same technique with my deadpool translucent drop targets I installed and it worked great. However, the MET translucent drop targets don’t pop up at the start of a game or if you knock them down. Any idea what the issue could be? I was very careful with putting the drop target mech back together exactly how it’s supposed to and double checked that all the connectors are plugged in. Thanks for any help you can give me...

It may not have enough reflection for the opto to know it is down. I have an LE that I bought new, had issues with the targets registering. Instead of getting a new board, I put some chrome vinyl on the target so it would reflect better. Targets have worked perfect ever since. I am thinking the black that you installed isn't reflecting back well enough.

#17380 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

So, what is the fix? Remove the electrical tape? Thank you.

Try that, if that doesn't work, add a small piece of chrome vinyl where it should bounce the signal back.

1 week later
#17400 4 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

Please dont take this the wrong way, I love Cliffys products, but ive gotten a lot more lazy shots into the scoop since taking the cliffy out . Happy I tried it out.

I agree with you, I have this on mine since day one. https://mantispinball.com/product/metallica-protector/

1 month later
#17521 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball13:

I am having an issue where scoop shots are not recognizing that a ball has been shot into it and I have to wait for the game to go through a ball search to kick it out. Anyone else have this issue and know how to correct it? Thanks, Ken

Go into switch test and manually activate this switch I circled, or put a ball in there. See if the switch activates, more than likely it isn't.

Annotation 2020-04-28 144538 (resized).pngAnnotation 2020-04-28 144538 (resized).png
2 weeks later
#17570 3 years ago
Quoted from zpinman370:

Get the pinwoofer system- bit of a pain to install but the results are fantastic and nice clean look with better sound all around

100% agree with this, the pinwoofer kit blows away the external sub.

5 months later
#17848 3 years ago
Quoted from MrCleanHead:

What model works the best off Amazon?
This is the one thing that is a little disappointing to me for a music pin, especially a game that should crank. Plus I'm spoiled with the sound on TNA, best sound for a Pin ever! How do I go about doing this? The current wires are soldered to the sub speaker. Im assuming I remove them and attach a extension with RCA jacks and then run it to a powered sub? No other power boards required? How about something like the flipper fidelity or Pinball Pro.

Get the pinwoofer kit. I struggled with my Metallica sound from day one. Had Flipper Fidelity speakers and an external sub. Still was never happy till I got a pinwoofer kit. Game sounds incredible now.

1 week later
#17913 3 years ago
Quoted from MrCleanHead:

A couple quick questions for the group.
1) I just got done cleaning up Metallica and I have this black spacer left over. I remember seeing when I took it apart but forgot where it went and my before pics dont show it.
2) Where can I get the Stern replacement LED (blue), I need two of them. I know I can just get any Blue LED but I would like to have them match all the others without replacing all the others. Marco and pinball life dont show them (#112-5033-05)
3) Sparky magnet ware: I have a new magnet core and I want to stop the art for waring any further. I was thinking to just touch up the paint and use fingernail polish (clear) to protect it. I have read threads on playfiled repair and have done some many years ago but nothing this modern. It was a routed game now in home use and I dont see it getting worse. Any pointers would be great. Also its not flat enough for a cliffy ring.
4) Game Play, why does the post behind sparky pop up when shooting the right or left orbits! This drives me nuts and the only thing I dont like about the game. I got the Premium because I love shooting the spinners and orbits. What am I missing here....[quoted image]

The bulbs are Coin Taker bulbs, you can tell by the CT on them. Replacement bulb is here - https://cointaker.com/products/555-2led

5 months later
#18586 2 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

That LED goes to a Spike game. It's the wrong one unless it's a Spike game. You need this one for a Sam's https://www.pinballlife.com/cool-white-pcb-led.html

Works in both games even though it says for spike. You can get replacement colored boards from Cointaker. Just 5 volt LED boards. I changed a bunch in my LE, also added some to replace the larger light boards.

https://cointaker.com/products/stern-spike-led

#18633 2 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

That helps it stay up? I believe I am dealing more with an issue of the drop target resting a bit too far back so it only just grabs the ledge. So a bump elsewhere on the machine can drop it. I was thinking it may be the washer deal to push it forward more.

I have had to mess with the washers inside the mech to fix 3 games here. My LE and two pro units that we used to have. Changing the washers adjusts how far the target catches the lip to stay up. Different thickness washers change the location. It takes a little time to take the drop targets apart, but once you get the hang of it the job goes pretty quick.

1 month later
#18874 2 years ago

The colored GI really looks good for the different modes. I would suggest swapping all of the bulbs to frosted, I really hate the clear lens bulbs. I attached the original layout of where the blue, red, and white are supposed to go.

Colored GI.pdfColored GI.pdf
#18904 2 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Yeah. I have one of his kits in my Met, and it's great.
I would like to do four other SAM games and don't know of an alternative.
Anyone have any ideas?

I am working on doing 6 of them at the moment. Trying to make the kit plug and play. I have the connectors, just need to get them assembled. Pretty simple upgrade.

IMG_7680 (resized).jpgIMG_7680 (resized).jpg
#18911 2 years ago

I'm working on completing the initial kit together. I want these to be as simple to install as possible. Plus giving you the option to install it in the head as well as the cabinet. The metal cabinets may be tricky. I will keep everyone posted on the progress. I will be on vacation for the next couple weeks, but I will update info when I have something done. Thanks!

#18929 2 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I’d be in for a wiring kit as I already have the knocker coil and strike plate installed in my cabinet. Can you do something like that? Probably take another whole kit for my SM too. Thanks!

I have all of the connectors to make the kits, the one thing I am still working on is the best way to connect the 50 volts. There isn't any open connector to tie into. I can either supply enough wire to solder onto one of the existing coils, or include a connector to clamp onto the power wire. Neither of which I prefer. I was wanting to make it a plug and play kit.

#18935 2 years ago

Yes, I have the those boards. I know how to do the wiring, just wanted the kits to be very simple to install for everyone. The 50 volt connection is the last piece of the puzzle to make it easy.

3 months later
#19302 2 years ago

It has been awhile since I posted anything on the true knocker kits I was working on. Since my LE is a wooden backbox, I installed the mech on my AC/DC. The coil assembly mounts easily to the wooden side panels, but I had to drill two holes in the top of the box for the striker plate. Just curious if any of you think this would be a problem with your metal backbox machines? I know how ocd can kick in.

65609323771__BD4B6169-50C6-4029-8163-7053E608FD84 (resized).JPG65609323771__BD4B6169-50C6-4029-8163-7053E608FD84 (resized).JPG
2 months later
#19448 2 years ago
Quoted from barakawins:

Hi all,
I'm looking for the Sparky EL wire Electrocution Mod. Does anyone have this for sale?

I was looking for this as well, found the el wire to use, will probably just build one myself.

https://smile.amazon.com/Pack-Jytrend-Battery-Orange-Purple/dp/B01M5E7W2U/ref=sr_1_4

#19450 2 years ago
Quoted from cconway84:

I bought this from amazon but haven't wired up a power solution yet for it. Sitting in my cash box.

I just searched that quick to post something. There are 12 volt versions, like this one. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Colorful-Xmas-5M-Flexible-Neon-LED-Car-Light-Decor-Party-EL-Wire-12V-Inverter/131416150?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101023046

I installed the EL paper on my Iron Man armor years back, very simple to install.

#19452 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I have El wire and inverters on hand and use it to light the engines on the SW falcon. I am not familiar with this mod. Is it always on or is it interactive? Is there a pic of it somewhere?

Here is a link to the picture of it. The wires light up with sparky hits.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sparky-helmet-modopinions#post-2267630

3 weeks later
#19552 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Maybe one of these ?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Those comet flashers will work for the Sparky Flashers. I put Ice Blue in mine to give it a more electric look.

2 weeks later
#19643 2 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Does anyone know if somebody makes a start button with the Metallica logo? I’ve got a start button in my AC/DC that has the light night bolt and it looks awesome. Wondering if there is something similar for Metallica.

I put this one on mine with a purple bulb behind it

https://www.pinballlife.com/pinball-sucks-start-button.html

1 week later
#19678 2 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Does anyone know if you can refit a new stern pro with the snap down lockbar with the older style lockbar receiver with the slide? I came into the armor my buddy removed from his LE but it has the older style lockbar and I have the new one.

It can be done, I swapped out all the armor on my Iron Man vault to the earlier style slide lock bar. Pretty simple swap.

1 month later
#19854 2 years ago

These are the ones you need - https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-playfield-support-slide-bracket-kit-for-sam-machines.html

I installed them on my Iron Man after getting them powder coated.

6 months later
#20404 1 year ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

Update: I installed the kit and double-checked the wiring, but it instantly blows the fuse in the knocker board on power up. I suggest holding off on ordering until I hear back from PBL on the issue. Bummer.

Did they get you the updated harness? They emailed me right away after purchasing stating the harness was wrong, to not install it.

1 week later
#20432 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

Can I get a topper for ants so I can join in the fun?
I like toppers but I already had to remove ceiling tiles to get the backbox upright!
[quoted image]

Same boat here, actually bought a White Water that I had to sell right away because it wouldn't fit in the basement with the topper on it.

10 months later
#21152 7 months ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

I believe MSRP on a Sparky is $100.

They used to be cheap - glad I bought a spare awhile back - https://www.pinballlife.com/metallica-sparky-figure.html

2 months later
#21446 4 months ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Hi,
One of my RGB arrow inserts has lost its RED colour.
I've tried reseating the Grinder Board connection under the playfield, and the CAT5 cable to that board (as I've had the GI flicker issue in the past), but no luck. All connections to the small insert LED PCB look good too. GREEN and BLUE work perfectly... Cables prodded and pushed to see if there's a break, but no dice...
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Does your rgb board look like this? https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=520-5333-00

Out of town so I can't check my game. Manual isn't the best of help.

#21449 4 months ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Swapped the plugs, problem remains with the same LED. Strangely it started working on red again, but then I quit test mode and it went into attract and the problem came back… so I’m assuming it’s the LED PCB or a wiring issue, but it could be something more weird. Will do some continuity tests after xmas and go from there.

I have had a couple of those boards go bad on my AC/DC. If it is hard for you to purchase them, let me know. Can probably send you one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
$ 29.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Kawydud.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread?tu=Kawydud and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.