51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7243 Magnet removal Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (7 years ago)

Post #8935 Buzzing flippers fix Posted by j_m_ (7 years ago)

Post #19696 Fixing random drop targets dropping Posted by swampfire (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JoshODBrown.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8376 7 years ago

i'm in the same boat as zene10, two new Sterns in the last 4 months or so and they both have some similar issues. Drain hole chipping on Metallica Pro that i got early August (no ghosted inserts so far or any other clear coat issues that i can see.. fingers crossed), playfield date of March 19 2016. Ghostbusters Pro i got in late April, developed ghosting on the Storage Facility insert after a few weeks and then just recently started chipping along the insert by the ghosting, and also pretty bad drain chipping that was getting close to the artwork. Stern has both my games on file now with those issues recorded, with the support of my dealer. It is not clear what will happen in terms of dealing with Stern. These two games were my first NIB purchases, and though my issues arent as bad as some GB LE guys got, or all the SMVE ghosting issues ive seen, its certainly rocked my confidence in buying a new game again, or recommending anybody else to. With a few older games I bought, i never thought twice about examining the playfields as often as I have with these new games. I know they wont stay pristine forever, but the rate that these issues are appearing, it makes me wonder what they'll look like in a couple years.

#8429 7 years ago

Does anyone know who sells the extended plastic protector that goes in above Sparkys feet to calm the airballs? i believe it was orange colored. checked Pinball life and mezelmods, didnt see them.

2 years later
#16022 5 years ago

Quick question about the grave marker shot, and the magnet and hoping someone else has noticed this. On my pro, my magnet/opto do seem to be working fine when I do the Grave Marker Multiball.

What I noticed with this game a long time ago, and I am pretty sure I have seen other Metallicas that I've played do this, but with a different multiball mode... say electric chair multiball for example, if during the multiball I happen to knock down all of the gravemarker drop targets, with further shots, the magnet doesn't really seem to do anything in terms of activating to soften the impact on the decorative cross grave marker at the end of the shot. It seems to me that the magnet should activate and fling the ball back at you, or at least that would make sense.

Has anyone else noticed this on their Metallica, and maybe even had the cross break from impacts over time?

#16026 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

That is the correct behavior it that's what you are asking. The magnet is only used for the cross multiball. Slinging the ball around would probably cause more pf wear and not sure I would want that. Never heard of the cross breaking and there are plenty things on a playfield that take direct hits.

My cross has broken on the bottom from hits last night. It was a pretty clean break, I've got it gluing back together the next 24 hours and we'll see how it holds up. Such a rigid piece of plastic doesn't feel like it should break like that, thats why i was curious if the magnet should have been doing something to slow the ball as it crossed the opto. I'm about 1300 plays on my machine over two and a half years, but i've seen Metallicas with 15K+ plays that the cross has held up no problems. I'm almost thinking of strapping a small piece of grey colored foam on the bottom of the repaired cross to absorb some of that impact. Replacement cross from Marco is $44 USD, so will probably order one to have for the long run, or hang onto it until I sell the game if the repair holds up.

#16034 5 years ago

Yeah, the ball can hit the cross with some pretty good force, even in Grave Marker multiball if you hit hard and fast before the magnet can really grab it. I have now heard of a few people who have had broken crosses in my adventure to find a replacement. Must just be luck of the draw when they get broken. I have seen Sparkys with broken legs before, so the cross doesn't surprise me.

While I am able to order a replacement no problem, I have ordered some Bondic to see if it can repair the old one, and curious if it will hold up. I will save my replacement for when/IF I sell the game someday.

2 weeks later
#16098 5 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

Quick question for owners: I have a pro model I picked up yesterday. I noticed a knocking sound coming from the back of the game (not the knocker though). It happens after I launch the ball and when the ball goes along the outer orbits. Is this normal for the game or should I be troubleshooting this?

Yup! There is a mechanical post there. It’ll drop if you hold the left flipper during the plunge, or if you start Lady Justice mode, or if the orbit shot is made as part of a combo, and probably a couple other modes.

If you full plunge without holding the left flipper, the ball will hit that post and roll back down through the pop bumpers. During normal play if you shoot an orbit, that post will be up and the shot will bounce back from that post either down the pops on the right orbit shot or roll back out of the left orbit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 149.00
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 12.95
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JoshODBrown.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread?tu=JoshODBrown and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.