51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7243 Magnet removal Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (7 years ago)

Post #8935 Buzzing flippers fix Posted by j_m_ (7 years ago)

Post #19696 Fixing random drop targets dropping Posted by swampfire (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fezmid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11855 6 years ago

Long time lurker, first time poster (in this thread). I'm now in the Metallica group with an awesome Premium!! Just received delivery -- have to wait for it to warm up before I can turn it on (it's cold in Minnesota!). Yay! Here's a few snapshots - not the greatest, but good enough for now.

20171031_090342 (resized).jpg20171031_090342 (resized).jpg

20171031_090351 (resized).jpg20171031_090351 (resized).jpg

20171031_090509 (resized).jpg20171031_090509 (resized).jpg

#11858 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Congrats! You're going to love it and won't be able to stop playing it. MET is highly addictive. That's a beautiful game you have there. Is it a Refinery edition?

No, but it has many of the same mods, including the powdercoating.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/55447

I fell in love with MET a couple of months ago. Had never really been interested in music pins when my wife and I went to the Minnesota State Fair. They had a bunch of pins (from East Side Pinball), and I was playing Star Wars and not really enjoying it. After a few games, I walked over to my wife who was playing Metallica. It looked pretty cool. When she was done, I tried it out. An hour and a half later, she had to pull me away from it so that we could walk around the Fair some more. I played another one a month or so ago to make sure I still loved it, and I did. I was getting ready to buy a NIB when I saw this one for sale, so bought it instead.

Now I'm waiting to turn it on....

#11863 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

If the game was in below freezing temperatures before being brought into the warm house, it's not a bad idea to wait a bit before turning it on to make sure there isn't any condensation on the electronics.

Yup, that's exactly why I waited.

LOVE the game, it's awesome!

After about 30 games (doesn't take long when you suck... ), I'm noticing a buzzing when holding the left flipper button down. It's pretty loud. From what I've read online, that's not a bug, it's a Stern "feature." Kind of a bummer. But otherwise, it's great!

#11884 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I run a zip tie around the flipper assembly tight. It fixes it.

Quoted from Raegor:

Can you post a picture of the zip tie solution?

I second this -- can we see a picture? Zip tie would be a lot easier to try first.

#11910 6 years ago

The rising cross is kind of dumb, especially since it's hard to get the graveyard multiball, so you don't see it that often. However the moving snake jaw, the hammer, and the multicolor LEDs for inserts and GI is actually pretty awesome. The hammer effect is cool watching the ball get put under the playfield. The spinners are kinda neat too, but don't seem to add that much (at least not in any modes I've been able to get to).

One of the reasons I was thinking about not getting the Premium is because of concerns about the hammer. I've played about 100 games and haven't had any hammer issues in that time, so if that's a concern, ignore it.

Is it worth the upgrade? For a machine that I'm never getting rid of, definitely. If you're going to sell it in a year, maybe not, especially since the OP already has a lot of the mods.

#11945 6 years ago

I've had this game for almost two weeks, and man is it tough! I have one story and one question.

Story: Was playing last night (in the dark - it's more fun that way!). Had a great first ball and was in the groove. At one point, the ball came down to the right flipper, so I went to shoot it back... Only after pressing the button, I realized it wasn't a ball that came down, but rather an LED light! So it went flying up near the grave stones. A few seconds later, it came back down towards the flippers, but this time I recognized it, cradled the bulb (I didn't want it going down the drain -- not sure how I would have gotten it out or if it would've been damaged), and I drained the ball. Was very sad... Anyone else ever have an LED from a spotlight flying around the playfield? (that's not my question)

As for the real question: I've noticed that when I shoot the far left orbit, the ball flies up and then falls back down. If I don't hit it hard, it sometimes falls into the pops instead, but that's relatively rare. Is that normal behavior? It's kind of weird to me why the left orbit doesn't really do anything (unless going for combos, in which case it flies all the way around).

#11947 6 years ago

Thanks for the hot glue idea -- if they come out a lot, I'll look into doing that.

What I mean is the left ramp just goes to the top, then spits back out (90% of the time), whereas other ramps either return to the flipper or (the right ramp) goes to the pops. The left ramp really is just supposed to fly up, hit the post, and come back down the way it came?

#11951 6 years ago

Sorry, orbit. (Didn't know there was different terminology... I'm new. ) Thanks for the confirmation!

#11954 6 years ago
Quoted from Sk8terRIP:

Just hit a ramp and the orbit is now open , hit the orbit shot right after any ramp for super satisfying combo )

Yeah, I get that -- but I was confused as to why hitting the left orbit before any other ramp just makes it fall out of the orbit again. With the link to the post that gweempose posted, it sounds like it's not supposed to do that - instead, the left orbit shot (with the post up) is supposed to fall into the pops?

1 week later
#12059 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

kingpingames has good prices

When I was shopping around for MET PRE a couple of months ago, I found Melisa at Cointaker offered me the best price. I ended up buying used though, so never got to test out their service, but from everything I've read here, they're awesome.

#12068 6 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Hurry ups work like this
One shot will have red arrow lit/flashing.

That's only for a pro. If you're on a pre/le, the light flashes blue. (the red lights flash indicating which lanes to hit for a combo).

Another tip that I just figured out yesterday -- when you hold the left flipper in when you launch the ball, you'll notice one of the lanes will have all of the inserts flashing. If you hit that lane in a few seconds after launch, you light them all immediately and get a bigger bonus.

#12070 6 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Yep i have a pro and dont have much exp with prem/le

Yeah, I only brought it up because it took me awhile to figure out why the red lanes kept changing.

1 week later
#12106 6 years ago

Had my best game ever (have had the game a little less than a month). Nearly doubled my previous high score - had the coffin multiball, stacked with snake multiball (not sure what that did from as coring perspective), then had Fuel double-points going during the multiball. Eventually moved from the multiball into Seek and Destroy mode (first time ever!), then after that, hit the scoop for a CIU mode. To top it off, I got a match at the end of the game! (not that it matters on free play, but... still a fitting ending. ).

metscore (resized).jpgmetscore (resized).jpg

#12110 6 years ago
Quoted from jefryan:

Right on Fezmid! I've had mine a couple of weeks but haven't played much between work and installing mods. Tonight I just hooked up the Pinnovators PinSub kit and HOLY SHIT, what a difference that makes! I highly recommend as it is double the enjoyment now.

Mine had that mod already installed. I tried connecting the standard Polk to it a couple of weeks ago and got a massive ground loop hum. D'oh. So I bought a Blue Jeans cable isolator. That helped for the most part, but then I wasn't getting any bass from the sub which was weird. So last weekend, I opened up the machine and traced the wires and found the jack was coming off the board. I probably pulled the cable when getting it out of the cabinet I'm guessing. Sucks, but for $41, Pinnovators is sending me a new one, so not the end of the world - and hopefully this was the cause of the ground loop hum too. Everyone raves on how great it is, so I can't wait to try it.

20171126_154237 (resized).jpg20171126_154237 (resized).jpg

#12119 6 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Mine had that mod already installed. I tried connecting the standard Polk to it a couple of weeks ago and got a massive ground loop hum. D'oh. So I bought a Blue Jeans cable isolator. That helped for the most part, but then I wasn't getting any bass from the sub which was weird. So last weekend, I opened up the machine and traced the wires and found the jack was coming off the board. I probably pulled the cable when getting it out of the cabinet I'm guessing. Sucks, but for $41, Pinnovators is sending me a new one, so not the end of the world - and hopefully this was the cause of the ground loop hum too. Everyone raves on how great it is, so I can't wait to try it.

Got my replacement today, plugged it in, and.... ROCK AND ROLL! The sub works great. I'm still trying to figure out the exact configuration I like best (volume, crossover, etc), but overall great upgrade!

#12123 6 years ago

Stupid question....

Today I noticed that there's two red lights - one by the cross in the cemetery, and one by Sparky's feet. I believe those are the opto sensors, but before today, I never noticed the bright red light from them. Is that normal? I suspect it is, but it's weird that I didn't notice it at all over the last month....

met opto (resized).jpgmet opto (resized).jpg

#12125 6 years ago

Apparently I'm full of stupid questions today...

So I was playing, and one of the LED bulbs came out of one of the spotlights and before I could react, it fell into the drain, and another ball came right behind it. Now both are in the ball trough.... I was hoping I could eject it out manually, but it seems wedged in there and I can't figure out an easy way to get into the trough. I didn't want to start randomly unscrewing things for fear of not being able to put them back in place (I'm still new to pinball and don't want to break my baby....), so any pointers?

#12142 6 years ago

Thanks to everyone for suggestions on how to get the LED out of the ball trough. I ended up using the jeweler's screwdriver to push the ball to the drain hole and managed to get that out. I tried doing the same with the LED bulb, but it was stuck from that angle, so I lifted the playfield 90 degrees and it fell out (and somehow landed on the floor - not sure how...). Put everything back together and was back in business!

I might have to try out the idea of wrapping tape around the bulb to keep it in the socket, as this is the second time a bulb has come out in the last month.

#12158 6 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

I went into the tests to try and determine what is triggering it, and found that it's being caused by the Coffin Magnet. When the magnet is trying to detect a ball, you hear this humming noise 'underneath' all the other audio. Like I said, it's not ridiculously loud, but you do notice it right away, and it just doesn't seem normal to me.

I have that on my premium as well. At first I was annoyed, but now I use it as a notification that the lock is ready. I'm assuming it's normal, but looking forward to hearing from others as well.

#12167 6 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

Had an amazing first ball on Met last night. Completed and cashed in 2 CIUs with 2x playfield running. Then started and completed Fade to Black, but got greedy relighting the 2x again and the bricked the scoop 3 times. Still got 76mil, but should have been worth over 200 mil if I'd have made it.
I can't ever see me selling this game - EVER!

Ok, those scores make me want to sell mine because I'm not worthy to own it... My high score last night was 30M.

2 weeks later
#12263 6 years ago

Nice! How about the stylized letter M so you know it's specific to the Metallica pin?

#12269 6 years ago

I bought a Tournament button from Pinball Life, and was expecting it to have some instructions... But all I received was literally a button... I've looked on the forums and found some posts that it's "easy" to install - just solder a diode somewhere and solder some wires to some other wires... But didn't find a post that explained in details that a complete newbie who has used a soldering iron only a single time in his life would understand. Anyone see a doc like that for me?

#12274 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

It is wired exactly like the start button. The diode and one wire need to be soldered on, other wires are spade connectors already in the game.

OK I will try to take a look at the start button and see what I can figure out, thanks. What diode do I need (or where can I get that info)?

1 week later
#12319 6 years ago

I went back and forth on this decision myself, ended up with premium, and love it. The hammer is awesome. The rising cross is meh (probably because I rarely activate it due to sucking...), and the spinners are cool (although they block your view a little so you can't tell which lane is active).

Does total light show have color changing inserts? I love being able to see what to do based on the color of the flashing inserts.

#12321 6 years ago
Quoted from AJB4:

not color changing inserts ---> different color General illumination (GI) which are red white and blue that light in various ways/combinations to change the overall lighting effects.

Gotcha -- I definitely think the multicolored inserts are worth the upgrade to a premium as they directly impact gameplay.

#12326 6 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

BACKHAND that SOB!

I try that, but I still usually miss, hit the guitar pick instead, and then drain SDTM. (see: "I suck" above ).

How many combos do people usually get? The max I've ever managed to get is 5 for some reason... I thought I'd be better at it, since on my T2, I can get in the groove and activate Payback Mode by just hitting the ramps back and forth... But not for Met.

#12362 6 years ago

Has anyone else ever heard a beeping coming from inside the game? I noticed it once last week and once today. Basically a quiet, constant, "beep... beep... beep..." The first time, I opened the coin door to lift the playfield and see what was going on, but since the 20v/50v power cuts when you do that, the beeping stopped. Today I heard it again, so turned the volume off, and started listening around the cabinet. It sounds like it's coming from the back of the machine in the main part of the cabinet, not the backbox. I looked through the grilles but didn't see anything blinking in time with the sound. And like last week, when I opened the coin door, it stopped.

Any ideas what it could be?

#12365 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Squeaky shaker motor, if you have one.

It's definitely not a squeak, it's an electronic beep. (that, and I have the shaker motor unpulgged right now because I'm not a huge fan of it). The shaker is towards the front, and the beep is definitely coming from the back.

Quoted from TimeBandit:

Pull the interlock switch to the out position to keep the high voltage on while the door is open.

Isn't that dangerous? I've read a lot about Sparky shorting out, especially because I'd have to lift the playfield.

#12367 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

how old is the machine? could it possibly be a low voltage "change the battery" beep?

Good question. I bought it used (HUO) in October, and I think the original owner bought it in December - so a little over a year old I think? If it were the battery, wouldn't it beep consistently? And wouldn't the beep come from the backbox? It's only beeped at me twice.

I should replace the batteries in both that and my T2 though, so thanks for the reminder.

2 weeks later
#12518 6 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Help! Ball won't eject into shooter lane to start game. Says to load pinballs,but all 4 were in. Game goes into ball search with everything going off. I reseated the plug by trough and removed pinballs and put back in. It worked for a game, then has started it again. Not sure what else to check. It's a premium edition, and have owned since 2014 original owner.

Try testing the eject coil to see if it always ejects each time. If not, then you know it's the coil. If it does, then the problem is probably with a switch in the trough not detecting the balls -- not sure how to test that as I'm still learning a lot of this myself.

#12520 6 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Go into switch test and test the trough switches. Could be just one switch acting up. You can also test the coils. When testing coils make sure to press in door lock switches to enable high voltage.

I test that one by turning on the test, closing the door, then pressing the start button to activate. Works well.

#12532 6 years ago

Having issues with my coffin hammer, and started a thread here to troubleshoot. Appreciate any assistance!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-hammer-magnet-troubleshooting-question-multimeter

1 week later
#12586 6 years ago

Why does that poor MOP not have a ColorDMD...?

#12593 6 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Best pinball mod out there.
Great system support too.
Metallica is also one of the better games to be colorised.
Seriously - look past the money - it’s a great addition to your already premium priced, brilliantly coded, limited edition pinball machine.

Yeah, seeing the snake in red/orange dots just looks wrong..... What's another few hundred bucks when you already have thousands into the game? (my wife actually said if I bought MET, which I did, that it HAD to have ColorDMD).

1 week later
#12672 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Well that sounds encouraging. I cant wait to hear from other Premium /LE owners. Hopefully they have the same story.

I had no issues until recently -- not sure how many plays, but probably close to 1k total, and the magnet board is apparently having issues. I ordered another one and it should be here in a week or two. However I've read you can disable the hammer and have it act like a pro if you want/need to (I haven't looked into it yet tho). That said, I *LOVE* the hammer - it's a great feeling when the hammer smashes the ball under the playfield with a thunderous BOOM. I wouldn't trade it.

#12695 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

There is no Sparky board. Sparky magnet is driven directly from a transistor on the main driver board in the backbox. The hammer magnet processing board under the playfield right side is what I'm talking about. Put the fuse on the J1 input side (not the J3 output side).

Can you explain in more detail (pictures?) how to put the fuse on? Use basic terms since I'm new.

I'm hoping it's my magnet board -- Stern support said they thought so based on an email I sent. Sometimes the magnet stops even trying to detect the ball (no buzzing sound), and sometimes it buzzes but is VERY weak. Here's a thread I started a little bit ago: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-hammer-magnet-troubleshooting-question-multimeter

#12731 6 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Well Murphys law strikes! Just when I'm saying how troublefree the hammer is, I burn out fuse 7 for the 5th time in 3 years. It seems to be a very rare problem with only a couple other owners reporting it, but it actually has nothing to do with the hammer itself it's the magnet. Just this time the hammer magnet was being energized and it just held the ball until the fuse blew, it's happened on Sparky as well. I'm not an electrical genius or Pinball Wizard so I'm not quite sure how to troubleshoot it but again it's only happened 5 times in 3 years and seems to be very rare occurance!! Best pin ever still!!!!

That's exactly what mine did. I replaced the fuse and it worked again, but over the next week or so, the hammer magnet kept getting weaker. Now it sometimes doesn't even try sensing the ball (rebooting seems to fix that). Hoping it's the magnet board since I have a new one on the way...

Like others day though, the lock is amazing and is always a thrill.

#12737 6 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Is your board under warranty?

Doubt it -- I bought it off a fellow pinsider back in October, and I think he bought it NIB the December before that - so it's maybe 14-15 months old.

#12776 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Oh yeah, and the Hammer that almost kept me from buying the Premium because I didn’t like it turned out to be Bad Ass! I love it!

Do you have a sub hooked up yet? If not -- you'll love the hammer even more once you do.

#12779 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I like the design of the new backbox with the exception that stern got rid of the coffin lock mechanism and really cheaped out with those 2 bolts that feel like they would strip out pretty easily

What coffin lock mechanism in the backbox? (maybe I don't want to know what I'm missing though.....)

#12808 6 years ago

So I replaced the magnet board, hoping all of my hammer problems would go away, but no... Same thing. The hammer sometimes just stops trying to sense the ball, and only powercycling the machine fixes it. I can't tell if the magnet is grabbing the ball better than before when it does work, or if that's just a placebo though - hard to tell.

Here' the original thread where I posted my troubleshooting steps:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-hammer-magnet-troubleshooting-question-multimeter

In addition, I heard some beeping in the machine again today. I noticed it a few times in the past as well. Unfortunately as soon as I open the coindoor, the beeping stops, so I can't tell where it's coming from, but it sounds like it's the back of the machine (not the backbox). Here's a link with the repetitive sound (it gets a little loud halfway through as I moved my phone - sorry).
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtRZTVJToVJeoBw9j0fW5b2iRicH

Not sure if it's related or not though.

So frustrating.

#12812 6 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Start unplugging boards and mechs and test until the beeping stops to track it down. Start with the new board.

The problem is that it's VERY intermittent. I've only heard the beeping maybe 4 times total (and only once with the new magnet board installed).

Quoted from Who-Dey:

That sucks man sorry to hear about that. I assume you are working with Chaz on it right? He will figure it out i bet in time. When i power my game off i hear a beep like you would hear when the game is in switch test mode, is that normal?

I sent Stern an email explaining what was happening and David Carver said he thought it was the magnet board. I'm not the original owner (but the machine is only about a year old), so will they still help me out? I wasn't sure how that worked...

#12818 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

I prefer the LED with the dots and colors that pop more. After a while, the dot spacing issue went away for me and it looks natural. Plus I like that it's an exact replacement for the existing DMD. The LCD is a bit bigger and has to be set a little father back in the panel.

I think it also depends on the game. For example, I went LED on my T2 because it fit the theme (and the age) better, but I have LCD for my MET Pre.

1 week later
#12900 6 years ago

I've had my MET Premium since the end of October... Bought it from a fellow pinsider and kept all of his high scores in it so I'd have something to reach for. (the low score is like 250M... I've only had over 200M once... /sigh). Well, this weekend my sister came over and we played for awhile... She ended up getting her name in for high score in Lady Justice mode (~21M). It's my machine and I still don't have my name in ANYTHING on it! Grrr.... Stupid game....

...that I still love playing, I just suck at.

#12916 6 years ago

Wouldn't it be very difficult to get in the pops without the post? And that's tied to the target behind fuel, right?

#12947 6 years ago
Quoted from Flex_in_Aus:

but you can also light a full row off the plunge as well, kind of like a super skill shot I guess. Its very, very hard to do as it always defaults to the left most item row that isn't locked in.

This isn't true on my machine (a premium). It seems completely random to me which ones blink. I've had the right ramp, for example, be the "super skill shot" on the first plunge of the game. Curious to hear what others have to say about this.

#12977 6 years ago

So my Met Pre is still having hammer magnet issues (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-hammer-magnet-troubleshooting-question-multimeter). Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it stops sensing the ball at all. I emailed Chas at Stern a few times and he thinks it's the magnet board - even though I bought a new one and it has the same issue - and said he's sending me a new one to try. Not sure when that's supposed to get here, but we'll see.

I have some people coming over this weekend for Easter, and while I want to show them the hammer (and will), if it gets too bad, I might want to just disable the whole thing and make it act like a Pro as it relates to Coffin Multiball. I looked through the manual yesterday and couldn't figure out exactly what settings to change to make it act like the Pro and figured someone here probably already knows. Thanks in advance.

#12999 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Now who has that premium translite they want to sell me ; ) Trade for my pro trans + cash!!

Did you see that Marco apparently has them in stock? The image is wrong though, so you might want to confirm with them:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=metallica+translite

#13007 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeTangoIndia:

I clicked your link it is a PRO translite.

There's two. One is Pro. The other SAYS Premium/LE -- but has the wrong picture, so I don't know if the picture is wrong or the text is wrong.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#13013 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

so the translite on marco is Roadcase NOT MONSTERS. My journey continues ; ) Thanks for the alert though.

Awww, that sucks. Sorry.

1 week later
#13100 6 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Last night I finished three CIU's on ball one and felt invincible! Everything was going my way! I had multi-balls stacked with ball savers going, and I was racking up the collected items quickly. Of course, ball two was a quick drain, and then I was too timid on ball 3. I was making progress toward the fourth CIU, but I missed the right ramp, hit the standup, and had a quick drain right down the middle.
So close!

Yeah, I don't understand that at all. How can you play amazing one game and fail to crack 5 million the next? I had an amazing game a few days ago - 100M on my first ball, including a CIU. Second ball I screwed up badly. Extra ball I got about 50M, third (or 4th, depending if you count extra ball), another 50M for a total of 198M.

Next game: 4.5M total. WTF? I don't understand pinball....

#13146 6 years ago

So how many combos do people get on this game? When I play T2, I can get a ton easily. Seems like the ramps are a lot tighter on my MET Pre; the best I've had is 12 combos. The previous owner never cleared the default (20 combos) either. It's hard!

#13153 6 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

Is it possible (maybe thru Pinball Browser?) to edit these values? So say that a 2-way combo get your name mentioned the first time and it increases from there?

I think I saw one of the menus that actually lets you set the defaults... I'd rather keep fighting to beat the default though to make it REALLY mean something. I was just curious how many combos other people have on MET.

#13162 6 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Anyone else ever get so pissed at this game? Probably what draws me back to it so much. I have an LE, and that left return lane bounces out more balls up and over into the outlane than any pro I have ever played. We have a bunch in the area, and I seem to be able to get to CIU pretty consistently on those machines. Last night, I was lucky to just get Sparky multiball once.

I moved the post on the left outlane because I was getting too frustrated at it draining left all the time and it was ruining the fun. I played normal for about a month before I just gave in. It still drains to the left, but feels much more balanced now which makes the game more fun. But yeah, this game can be super frustrating. On more than one occasion, I've told my wife that I'm just going to throw the thing away... But it always brings me back.

Quoted from Indusguys:

I set my defaults to 10, I hate seeing default high scores come up. 20 is just ridiculous to me, you have to be extremely focused on just hitting combos. On all of my best scores on the game none of those games had more then 10 combos.

I keep telling myself that if I just get better........

#13182 6 years ago

So close to getting my name on my game... only 10 million away, and I lost both balls of a multiball on my 3rd ball... so close!!! Argh!!!

(I bought it from a pinsider and told him to keep his scores so I had something to aim for... almost 6 months later, I'm still trying...)

20180416_211943 (resized).jpg20180416_211943 (resized).jpg

#13215 6 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

James’ call outs really stand out but not sure who’s who on the other ones...
Man that mystery scoop is hard to hit when you need it! Starting CIU, but especially to collect the jackpot! Haven’t been able to collect a single CIU jackpot so far!!

Yeah, I can't hit the scoop either... And trying usually results in the ball rebounding quickly SDTM. So I rely on the bouncing off the bumpers to get in. Sucks... Or more likely, I do.

#13219 6 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

I very rarely go for the extra ball as I can't hit that shot regularly. Even when CIU is lit and I nail the shot it sometimes bounces out. I have been fortunate enough to hit the Jackpot a couple of times with a high score of 284 million. I've owned the machine for about 9 months and I've just started scratching the surface on games regularly in the 100-200 mill range. The most I've ever completed was 2 CIU and that wasn't my high score. I still have a long ways to go.
Edit: I forgot to mention that I moved the outlane post down as well. I am so glad I did too, especially for other people that come over and play. They have gotten so much further in the game now that I adjusted that post.

I closed my left outlane post -- I left the right one normal because that one wasn't pissing me off every game.

#13237 6 years ago

For me, it depends on the game. I have an LED in my T2 but an LCD in my MET.

1 week later
#13299 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Is there a shaker control in the menu? (Premium)
Mine rattles the hell out of the game. Tried some cushion under it and tightened it down . Slight better but still annoying.
I'd like to.tone the shake down a bit.

No, you can control how OFTEN it shakes from the menu, but not how MUCH it shakes. I disconnected the shaker on mine because like you noted, it was ridiculous. You can apparently mess with the shaker itself to try taming it - although it didn't look easy. I might try playing with mine at some point, but for now, with the subwoofer, I don't see the need.

#13313 5 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Price Check Request: Routed MOPLE
Can I trouble you (collectively) for some market advice?
What is a fair sum to pay for the following pin, in your estimation, given today's market:
MOPLE, presently in someone's home collection but routed (5000 paid credits) prior to that.
PF is nice, with just the slightest wear on the perimeter of the Cliffy-less Mystery scoop and around the Sparky magnet. Sparky and Gravemarker magnets show ample dimpling, while the hammer magnet looks much better. PF overall shows average dimpling and no wear areas, including in/outlanes. Colors seem bright/vivid. Cabinet is nice, with perhaps a little fade, but few if any scratches. Coin door has minimal scratches. Backglass is nice, along with the head decals and the silver edging. The only mods are speaker lights and under-cab lights. DMD is the monochrome original. Boards are fine/original and gameplay is fine (as far as I'm told).
I think it looks sharp, but "routed" is such a dirty word to so many collectors. I worry that I will struggle to sell it later without taking a bath when I disclose its history on location, etc. Indeed at least a few Pinsiders I've run this past have counseled me to "stay away!"
Any/all advice would be most appreciated!

You're never going to want to sell it, so resale isn't important.

#13325 5 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Just buy that f@$&ing LE and don't look back.

AMEN!

1 week later
#13378 5 years ago

Oh man, that sucks... I've been there - well, not THAT good, but in the boat of "amazing first ball - 150M points" only to finish like 170M or so... /sigh

1 month later
#13661 5 years ago

Seconded - the hammer is awesome (except when the magnet board doesn't work....). The spinners and light show are also amazing (as are the multicolored LEDs). The rising cross? Meh, I could take it or leave it, personally.

1 week later
#13742 5 years ago

I played my first game where I got two CIU modes! I've had the game since November, so yeah, I know I suck... Didn't have a great score (130M or so), because I drained right away after starting each of the modes, but I still made it!

1 month later
#13964 5 years ago

No way to bypass. I like the break though - it doesn't happen that often.

#13997 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I had 2 CIUs in a single game once. Both of them were pathetic. I always get greedy and try to double it. I’ve also learned it’s the fastest way to lose your ball, yet I keep trying.

I've never had more than 2 CIU either - did it 3 times. My high score is still only about 210M

#14022 5 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

** Bypassing Sparky MB Intro? **
I realize I'm likely in the minority, but I would like to make whatever adjustments to MET I can to minimize the presence of Sparky - in particular his callouts and the long Sparky MB intro. Pinball Browser can help, I know, but is there a gameplay setting that would bypass/omit the long intro to Sparky MB? The animation is an homage to MB. Fine. And Sparky's bobble-head gyrations are his one moment to shine. I get that. But I don't really need to stand there waiting for ten seconds before my MB starts. I suspect I can disable the Sparky magnet, and I would then have something to do (getting control of the ball) while waiting for the intro to run, but I would rather bypass it altogether. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

I've confirmed that with pinvol, if you change the volume with the buttons, it bypasses Sparky. I'll never use it, but at least we know.

2 weeks later
#14102 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I'll test this on my premium tonight as well

I just tested on my premium -- lit up all 3 piston inserts by throwing the ball into the pops a few times, then hit the piston target.... And only got 1 piston for it. So the code is still broken.

#14105 5 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Ah, pinball. The randomness of the ball, and of the rules. If you want consistency 100%, don’t play pinball. Otherwise, embrace the randomness. There is skill (jack danger, etc.) but there is still the random...that’s why I like pinball (imho).

Huh? Rules are never random. If they are, then they aren't rules....

#14128 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Just wondering where do most of you guys have your outlane posts set at? Mine is in the middle hole from the factory and that left side drain is a mother effer! Should i move them down or "play better" as Steve Ritchie would say?

I moved my left post -- I paid for it, and if it isn't fun, what's the point? I also felt a lot better after talking to the guy that runs Tilt and he said he closes the outlanes for the games on-site too.

#14150 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

2 ways to adjust that. Change the locations of the weights on the end of the shaker. And if that is still to much you can cut some of the weights off.
On a Pro the shaker really didn't add much (to me) but on the Prem/LE it's an awesome part of the hammer display as it shakes when the hammer pretends to hit the ball through the PF.

I bought mine used and it came with the Cointaker shaker and I hate it. I have read that you can put a device in line to tame it - so I might try that at some point - but the extsernal subwoofer seems good enough to me during the hammer strike.

1 month later
#14399 5 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

I guess it might be possible to start coffin multiball then stack graveyard multiball on top of the coffin multiball.

Yeah, I think that's the only way.

#14434 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Need a little advice here. Flipper issues for newbs.
My left flipper starts to bind up and not retract properly after a few games. I've been following this thread for a while so I believe I need to swap out some flipper parts, moe specifically the cardboard looking tube that has been know to be the wrong size occasionally.
I'm a quick study (YouTube taught me how to solder, mod game systems, fix old arcade games, etc.) but I've just never had to do any work on flippers before as I've only recently been able to have pins of my own.
If someone could provide a link to a YouTube video or something along those line as to how to properly do this job I would greatly appreciate it. I'm just not sure exactly what I should be searching for. Flipper rebuild videos? Something more tailored to this exact issue? Idk
Thanks for any input

I'm in the same boat for my T2. Might try fixing it today. Read this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

I've gone over it a few times so I think I know what I need to do....

1 week later
#14536 5 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Happy to be your doppelganger I say GBPrem and STPrem....what say you?

The hammer for me is an interruption and visual hindrance. On the pro, ricochet off the captive ball into the snake is a shot that I find enjoyable. Skip off the captive to the left ramp is fun too although I am comfortable enough to say this is never on purpose.

I can do that with the block behind the hammer all the time (to snake, not ramp).

#14554 5 years ago

I've had my Metallica or a year and 2 days... And FINALLY got my name on it. Not only that, but the GC! And the Blackened! And the Combo! And the Seek and Destroy! Best game of pinball I've EVER had, and it was amazing! Game lasted almost 25 minutes. I felt like I couldn't miss a shot. SO awesome!!! The only downside is that I lost out of the free ball for getting 20 combos -- couldn't get the ball to hit the mystery hole. But I'm not complaining!

Please forgive my wall of pictures - I'm just psyched!

IMG_20181102_195728 (resized).jpgIMG_20181102_195728 (resized).jpgIMG_20181102_195731 (resized).jpgIMG_20181102_195731 (resized).jpgIMG_20181102_195819 (resized).jpgIMG_20181102_195819 (resized).jpgIMG_20181102_195901 (resized).jpgIMG_20181102_195901 (resized).jpg
#14557 5 years ago
Quoted from bsobie:

I’ve had mine for 3 years now and still can’t do that....

If it makes you feel better, my old high score was about 220m... So I doubled it with this one game. Lol

#14559 5 years ago
Quoted from bsobie:

Lol!!.... So if I tell you I’m having trouble even reaching 40m you won’t laugh?

Not at all. I can go weeks with the same problem.

2 weeks later
#14755 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Blackened comes from hitting the pick targets. I'm not exactly sure how you exactly collect all band members from doing that but it happens if you hit all pick targets enough times. I don't get it very often but if I do it's during a long game.

The first time you hit all 4 picks, you light one of the four. Then you have to hit each of them twice to light the next pick. Then each three times. Finally hit them all 4 times. So basically 10 each for a total of 40.

#14816 5 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

Any reliable ways to save audits and/or high scores via any 3rd party utilities?

The problem with high scores is that they aren't really accurate across versions due to rule changes.

#14847 5 years ago
Quoted from Mikedenton49:

Uploaded the new code and had the best game of my life. I thought surely there must be a glitch.
Cruised right through all the CIU's and smoked EOTL. Not sure what the big change is yet, but what used to be 100M point games are now 500

Not for me... I'm struggling to even get 50M now... My ball keeps draining down both the right and left outlanes; it's like the code opened them up wider than they already were or something. :/

2 weeks later
#15051 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

On 3 ball?
Man, that is a monster score!
I'm struggling to get 200K!

Just hitting the skill shot gets you more than that!

#15070 5 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

What are the benefits of an external volume control?! When during play would you need to adjust the sound

It's nice to adjust volume without having to open the coinbox in general.

Some like skipping the sparky animation with it too.

1 week later
#15249 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

So next question I've never figured out. What are the 3 circle lights in front of the Piston shot and how do they work?

Every time you hit a pop 10 times, one of the lights are lit. Then when you hit the target behind fuel, you blow the number of pistons that are lit. This was broken on the old code but is apparently fixed now. Get 15 blown pistons (configurable) for an extra ball.

#15348 5 years ago
Quoted from joefox22:

Ok so after the code update I notice that when I’m in Any multi ball if a ball is hit into the snake it’s held until all the other balls drain, then it ejects??

My experience is only on a premium, but...

The snake mouth should close when you start a multiball. Then when all four picks are activated, the mouth opens for an add a ball. I think you get double scoring for thirty seconds, a new ball elects, and then after the thirty seconds, the snake ejects the ball.

#15354 5 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

I tried the game with setting to hold ball but found it way to easy to play a one ball mball until it got released so turned the setting to off. (On the Pro)

When it holds a ball, it should also elect a replacement ball. Then after 20 seconds (I think), the snake ejects the added ball.

1 month later
#15587 5 years ago

I just closed the outlane on the left. It still goes down there but not as frequently.

1 week later
#15660 5 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

ColorDMD updated for 1.80, just if anyone missed the email:[quoted image]

I've never updated a ColorDMD - is it hard? Any "gotchas" to look out for?

#15664 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Eddie:

-PinGraffix 3D Snake Mod - I think they are going to have an updated version out soon since they are currently sold out.
-External Sub - The Polk one that everyone raves about on Amazon. Keeping an eye to see if\when the price drops. I would love to use this for my MMR and Metallica but I am not sure where it would sit as a lot of pics I’ve seen have it under one machine, but if it is shared between two, do you leave it under one or put it between the two? Any advice is appreciated.

Bass is omnidirectional, meaning you can't pinpoint the source -- so you can put the sub wherever you want.

1 week later
#15767 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

No it kinda seems like it started happening after the last code update but obviously its not related to that or everyone would be having the same issue. I will look at that eject hood tonight. Ive got to get it corrected whatever it is i know that much.

Mine started doing it right after the code update too - it ejects from the trough and usually goes forward 8 inches or so before falling back down to the plunger. I've never looked into it.

#15815 5 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

I had no real issue with the plastic airball protector over the ramp until I put Pinstadiums into the game. Now it just seems to be a giant reflector for the lights on that side. I'm not sure I've ever had a case where having that thing there would have stopped an airball, anyway...
Thankful as always for any advice!

It stops airballs for me -- if I hit the shot really fast, it tries to pop out. This is especially true after cleaning/waxing the playfield. Even with the protector there, there's been a few times that the ball has popped out - once it got stuck on the airball protector, which I found ironic.

I've noticed that the protector rejects the snake shot sometimes as well and it's rather frustrating, so curious to hear what others say about that.

2 months later
#16228 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Just the little bit that you changed the pitch wouldn't so that i am sure if it. It also sounds like the ball is hitting the targets hard and just bouncing/bricking off of them. That sounds like the springs dont have enough tension on them to me. You can take the springs and maybe stretch them out about 5-8 coils and that should do it i bet.

After waxing, my drop targets usually don't drop because of the speed but eventually does enough to work. Would you recommend making this adjustment in this situation?

#16271 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

I have gotten an extra ball after EOTL and when I drained the game ended, this has happened to me twice. Anyone else experience this issue?

I've had my MET Pre for a year and a half and I've never been to EOTL once... So no.

2 weeks later
#16343 4 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

For backbox speakers, I've used these a couple times:
amazon.com link »
Last time I bought them they were on sale for $14 a pair, but now they're up to $22. Still a good deal. I see these are the speakers PinWoofer is using.

I used the same speakers for my RetroPie project, and agree they sound ok.

#16354 4 years ago
Quoted from KYLEDM5:

Well, damn. What kind of rubbers and wax do you use!? lol

Yeah. My scores always go down after waxing because the ball moves so much faster.

#16363 4 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Was happening to mine constantly. I had to take it all apart, re-lube, and reassemble.
Had it working perfectly until I recently cleaned and waxed the game. Now the targets are taking multiple hits to drop.
Anyone else have this after a fresh wax?

Yeah, immediately after waxing, the ball moves faster and many times the hit doesn't register. It gets better after a handful of plays. I've seen people talk about changing the spring tension on the drop targets, but I've never tried that as I worry once the wax isn't as fresh and the ball slows down slightly, that I'll have other issues with the drops. So the devil I know is better than the devil I don't. Usually less than 30 games and it's back to normal for me.

1 week later
#16379 4 years ago

Pinball is a weird game. I haven't had a good game on my MET Pre in a few months. I got over 100M a coupe of times, but that's it. Frustrating. Today I went down to play a quick game or two - and blew it up with 460M+ a new Grand Champion score for me! Had three CIU modes too; so close to EotL.... so close... But I'll probably never get that.

#16381 4 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Are you using the new code?

Yup. I did really well on the new code for awhile and then I just started sucking. Hopefully I'm back!

1 week later
#16408 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

No, not completely. The mod cannot replace the RGB insert lighting. Also, don't forget about the (super) spinners and enhanced snake with mechanical opening/closing jaw.
Rob

Yeah, the RGB lighting is awesome. And the spinner mod on pro makes the game easier as it ties to the pick targets and activates them when you hit the spinner (so I've read, I have a premium).

#16449 4 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Can a spare Sparky magnet be purchased anywhere?

Yup - it's just a magnet core like this:
https://www.pinballlife.com/magnet-core-plug.html

I've been told you can also just file down your existing one if it's mushrooming.

1 week later
#16479 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

This has always been an issue on my game. Yesterday it was bad and balls would not release from the casket lock. I'm not sure what the answer is except for replacing the balls.
Rob

This happened for the first time to me today.... And I was having a monster game -- 71M when it happened, and already started a CIU and S&D. Had to abort the game because the ball wouldn't come out. When I tested it afterwards though, there were no problems, so... Not sure if it was a fluke or if I need to replace the balls.

3 weeks later
#16521 4 years ago
Quoted from BeeGeeMtl:

One of the reasons I prefer the METALLICA pro over premium is because I always though the hammer was blocking too much of the playfield so this CLEAR hammer is a great idea! Is that why you did that as well?

I see this statement a lot, but I just don't get it... What exactly is it blocking? I have a Premium and don't feel like I'm missing a view of anything. Is it just bad for people under 6' tall or something?

#16541 4 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I see this statement a lot, but I just don't get it... What exactly is it blocking? I have a Premium and don't feel like I'm missing a view of anything. Is it just bad for people under 6' tall or something?

Quoted from Roostking:

No. Doesnt block anything. When I play a Met pro, it just doesn't seem right without the hammer. Different strokes I guess.

I just got a TWD last week (it's awesome!). However one thing I've noticed is that the well walker bash toy actually DOES block part of the playfield - it's hard to see how many letters of "PRISON" are lit because of his arm. Kinda weird that people complain about the hammer but not the walker...

#16554 4 years ago

Love it! Mine's purple too!

#16577 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I'll give heat a try. Hopefully I can get the core out. Everything just seems extremely tight.

The recommendation I was given was (along the same lines) to just activate the magnet a bunch of times to heat it up, and then undo the nut. It worked for me, and then I just pulled it up and off of the playfield.

3 months later
#16866 4 years ago

I have orange and love it.

1 week later
#16895 4 years ago
Quoted from HectorCM:

Hello! I am having the same issue, any advice, thank you!!

Sounds like maybe the ball is magnetized?

7 months later
#17638 3 years ago
Quoted from Soulstoner:

Found a MET HUO Premium for $6250 plus tax. Is that a decent price or a bit much?

Sounds like a good price to me, assuming it's in good condition. Love my premium.

1 month later
#17699 3 years ago
Quoted from Apex:

Isn't MET a SAM game, so I don't think it has node boards?

That's correct.

2 weeks later
#17717 3 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

How's the reliability of your Metallica premium, is there anything that needs constant attention?
Thanks in advance
Ralph

I've had mine for three years (was used) and it's been great. I had a problem with the magnet board that would just stop after awhile and require a reboot. I replaced it (thanks, Chas... ) and it's been fine ever since. I bought a backup too just in case.

Recently I've noticed my snake doesn't always capture the ball - getting reflects more frequently - so i suspect i need to adjust something just not sure what yet.

And i occasionally get GI flickering during the skill shot. Don't think that's just the premium though, and reseatingb the cables seems to fix it.

Otherwise, no issues.

2 weeks later
#17744 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

if you ever decide to make and sell those, please put me down for one.

Same.

1 week later
#17769 3 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

I apologize in advance if this is someones game on here. I don't mean to offend you, but why would you change your translite artwork for this? One of the best parts of a MET machine in the artwork.
[quoted image]

Maybe that's the owner's wife who died in a terrible accident... they initially met at a Metallica concert, and also played in pinball tournaments together. This is a way to honor and remember her brief life...

... but probably not.

3 weeks later
#17821 3 years ago
Quoted from Flash71:

I had a similar issue with modes starting for no reason. Bought a new opto board and every thing. Turns out I had the pin plugged into a surge protector and had my sub for it plugged into it as well. A friend said he has had issues with surge protectors and pins. I plugged it into its own outlet and plugged the sub into another outlet and I’ve not had any issues since.

Weird... i have both plugged into the same surge protector and it's working fine. Never heard of this before.

1 week later
#17837 3 years ago

It seems like my CIU scoop is rejecting the ball a lot. I'll hit what I think should go in, it rattles around but never goes in the scoop... I've looked at it briefly, and I don't necessarily see anything to tweak, but I didn't look too closely.

I find that the snake rejects the ball too. If it goes really slow or really fast, it gets in there, but if it's a medium shot, it seems to rattle in and out.

I don't think it's always been like this, but it's hard to say... I can't tell if this is something I should be looking to adjust, or if I just suck (or maybe a little of both...).

1 week later
#17858 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

This is the sub I and many people seem to use. I just connected some alligator clips and clipped to the existing sub connections so both subs are working. Some people solder, but alligator clips seem to work well.
amazon.com link »

Yup, that's a good sub - although it frequently goes on sale for $99, so if you want to be patient, you can wait.

I like using the Pinnovators PINSub connection: https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/collections/metallica/products/pinsub-sam-stern-kit

Probably not strictly necessary, but it seems like a nice piece of kit.

#17861 3 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

I never understood why people wanted the PINsub. Its probably a little cleaner looking maybe, but you are just grabbing the same exact signal, just from a different place. To each their own I guess. The Polk sub on its own its always my first upgrade (and you can have 2 pins share 1 sub).

I like the cleaner look. Maybe it's my OCD, but alligator clips look like a kludge.

#17863 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Yeah, but every time I look at my alligator clips, I remember the awesome chicken parm sub I bought with the extra money

Dammit, now I want a chicken parm too but I cant afford it because of the PINsub!

#17881 3 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

two long, obstructive, rods constantly in your vision and even more distracting when activated. they just don't look good IMO

The one I bought had then already installed but they don't feel obstructive at all... and how is it distracting? All it does in mine is make it look like the lightning is flashing at times.

#17893 3 years ago

I was inspired to try getting to EOTL today based on the recent posts. Managed to get three CIUs (which has only happened a few times in the three years I've owned the machine). I had an extra ball waiting in the scoop and shot for it... The ball rattled around and then flew right back at the flippers, SDTM. Hurt my palm by smacking the machine in anger. I had all but one lane completely lit to help make it to the last CIU, and felt I had a real shot...

I've NEVER been able to reliably hit the scoop. Any pointers?

#17895 3 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

With a little practice, I have gotten pretty decent at putting it into the scoop with a lazy backhand (or at least that's what I call it). From a cradle on the right flipper, give it a quick tap so that it rolls back up the inline a little. Then with the flipper still up, let it roll back up the bat. Once it makes it about 2/3 of the way back up the flipper, give it another quick tap and it should have just enough oomph to lob into the scoop. The ball will have very little speed, so a miss is reasonably safe to get control back unless the right sling gets to it.
But of course, in the heat a game I usually forget this trick and just try to hit the scoop on the fly from the left flipper. After about 4 misses I end up eating the ball

Oooh, will have to try that - never thought about backhanding it!

#17896 3 years ago

I played another game to practice the backhand scoop shot... before I had a chance, Sparky started going crazy. Wtf? Look up and what do I see? His foot fell off.

20201110_132748 (resized).jpg20201110_132748 (resized).jpg
#17901 3 years ago
Quoted from Electronmagic:

Is there a protector for Sparky's feet? I've seen another game where this happened and I don't want it to happen to mine.

I don't think so. There's the airball protector that stops balls from landing on his feet, but I don't think there's a way to stop the ball from hitting his feet directly.

#17906 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Sparky’s foot broke off mine too. I used jb weld and attached a flat metal bracket to the piece that broke and his heel to fix it and it’s been fine ever since. Surprised more haven’t broken off, area takes a beating.

Which type did you use? Looks like there are quite a few that are similar. https://www.amazon.com/s

#17909 3 years ago

I played Metallica last night and hit 7 combos in a row to start the game! I started tensing at 5, and completely bricked my 8th attempt.... and the next two balls. /sigh. It was a nice rush while it lasted!

#17932 3 years ago
Quoted from freshjive:

I am now having troubles with the grave markers not dropping on direct hits. I did some reading and the previous owner already did the spring mod. Does anyone else have some suggestions to fix the direct hits no dropping targets?

I have this issue after cleaning and waxing the playfield. After a handful of games, it gets better for me. Not sure if you're in the same boat there or not.

#17939 3 years ago

I would keep MET. Iron Man is fast and fun, but the scoring seems off to me when I played on location, and it just wasn't as deep as MET. Plus the pixels kinda sucked, but maybe they're better on vault? I wouldn't mind having in Iron Man to play with MET, but I wouldn't trade my MET for it.

1 month later
#18016 3 years ago

I was just browsing PBL, and noticed they have a Monsters translite for $60 if anyone's interested. There's a minor imperfection on it apparently.
https://www.pinballlife.com/seconds-metallica-premium-monsters-translite.html

1 week later
#18056 3 years ago
Quoted from Flash71:

I wish they made a protector for sparkys feet. They really take a beating. I put some clear thicker two way tape on them. Left the plastic on the one side. works pretty good.

Yeah, my foot broke off... I haven't bothered trying to put it back on yet but I will.

#18057 3 years ago

I have a Prenium and while in Sparky multiball today, all of a sudden the coffin magnet grabbed a ball. I shouldve turned the game off but I was confused and shot another ball at the coffin, which also stuck. Then the magnet released.

Turns out, it released because I blew the F7 fuse.

I haven't replaced it yet, but wondering if anyone has seen the coffin magnet energize during Sparky - it is definitely not supposed to, so not sure if I somehow triggered a bug or if I have something bigger going on that will come back when I replace thr fuse.

#18060 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I have had this problem about once a year, others as well, but it doesnt seem to be a wide spread or huge issue. I just replace the fuse and play again.

Good to know it's just a glitch, thanks!

#18065 3 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Check to make sure the transistor is still working. Usually when a fuse goes the transistor is shot.

I replaced the fuse last night and everything seems ok. I'm still pretty new on the electronics and repair side, so where would I test that and how would I use the multimeter to do that? Thanks!

2 weeks later
#18159 3 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

Does someone have the link/info for an upgraded orbit post at the top of the playfield? I remember seeing on here someone replacing theirs as the factory one often kicks the ball backwards instead of stopping it to allow it to roll forward after the post drops back down. Seeing over four hundred entries for "orbit" and "post" searches I figured I'd ask directly.

It's one of the keyposts listed at top:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/46#post-2277072

#18164 3 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

You mean those links I looked at dozens of times when I first started reading all 300+ pages of this thread and then eventually ignored?
Actually, it's a dead link now. Hopefully they'll respond to my email about a replacement.

Eh, I usually forget to look at them too. And oops, I didn't click the PBL link when I posted it. Hopefully they can sort it out for you!

1 month later
#18276 3 years ago
Quoted from TronGuy:

So I think my magnets may not be working. No errors in service menu.
When I knock the crosses down, the ball doesnt stick up there any more to start muktiball. It doesnt stick on sparky. And it never locks by the hammer to go in the coffin. I won 2 extra balls hitting the hammer 30-40 times and havent had one ball go down even though it says lock is lit.
All of the magnets were working a day or two ago.
I probabky changed a setting by accident?
Also my left ramp isnt registering. In test mode I hit it and the switch works. Is there a trick to get the gate to hit that switch every time? The ball passes through and doesnt quite activate the switch.

Check fuses, you probably blew it. I think it is F7.

#18279 3 years ago
Quoted from TronGuy:

Yep F7
3amp SB
Keeps blowing at power up.
Maybe lifting the playfield the other day, created a short somewhere?

Hmm, afraid I'm not of much more help... That fuse has blown a couple of times for me, but I just replace and all is well. Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge can assist.

#18287 3 years ago
Quoted from TronGuy:one more question (for now). I am jonesing to play a little metallica. Can I play it with the magnet control board removed ? I haven't received the parts to fix this one or the new one yet.

Yeah you can. In the settings, there's an option to disable the magnets - at least for the hammer - so that you can have a virtual ball lock like the pro model has.

2 months later
#18658 2 years ago

I can do it for you if you still need someone.

Nevermind, I read the post and missed the first line! Lol

#18684 2 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

When I bought my premium, the seller hooked me up with the band member Funko POP collection to make a topper. I finished it last night.

Looks cool but Lars needs a drumset.... he looks lost holding the sticks with nothing to use them on!

1 month later
#18906 2 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:I am working on doing 6 of them at the moment. Trying to make the kit plug and play. I have the connectors, just need to get them assembled. Pretty simple upgrade.
[quoted image]

I'd love two of them - where do I order?

#18936 2 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Yes, I have the those boards. I know how to do the wiring, just wanted the kits to be very simple to install for everyone. The 50 volt connection is the last piece of the puzzle to make it easy.

Plug and play is what I was looking for as as a buyer so keep fighting the good fight

3 weeks later
#19020 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Mine is a May 2017 build, with a shaker, and it does some weird stuff with the hammer from time to time as well (similar to video 1 above, where it hammers nothing). I haven't investigated it further because it's so sporadic, however. My coffin lock is far more annoying but I think that's 100% attributed to magnetized balls unfortunately. Seems it goes away completely, at least for a time, when I install balls that I know aren't magnetized. So, I just need a stash of carbon ones that are resistant so I can filter those in as needed.
Thanks for the SB.

You can tell if you have the updated board by looking for a red dot on it

Quoted from embryon:

Hi guys interested to see if anyone else has or has had this problem. Awhile ago I noticed my front drop target decal was damaged. The bottom section was missing. So eventually I replaced it. Now after maybe 6 months or more I notice the replacement decal is sheared off at the same position. Is this a known issue and if so what have people done to solve it?
I'm guessing the target must strike a metal face/ledge somewhere on the mechanism to cut it clean off like a knife.
[quoted image]

I noticed that on mine awhile ago and wasn't sure if it was always like that or not. Doesn't really bother me though.

#19022 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Thanks, I'll check it out.
My target is the exact same. Whatever.
[quoted image]

Here's a good thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magnet-board-old-and-new-w-pics-metallica-le

#19035 2 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

You could choose to be buried in it!

And ruin a perfectly good MET? Blasphemy!

1 week later
#19094 2 years ago

The first thing I do on any Stern game is to replace that awful shriek noise with a real knocker.

I'm waiting to see if kawydud can make a kit... I've done that with all of my Spike games though.

1 week later
#19126 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

That's what's on mine,and a lot of shots bounce out on me? I might try to put a piece of foam on the front inside of the protector to deaden the blow. But I'm wondering if bending the metal like some dialed in owners did on their phone scoop would help?

Interested in hearing if others hand better luck- like you, my scoop rejects a lot. Not sure what metal bending you're referring to though.

2 weeks later
#19159 2 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

My Metallica is much better now,and I also added 3m double sided foam tape to the face of the power scoop just for an experiment. It helps to soften the blow,and it makes the mystery scoop more receptive .
I Googled adding foam to the scoop of a pinball machine. That's when a whole thread of MMr owners came up. They were talking about bending the scoop like I did,and they also mentioned adding dead drop foam to the power scoop. I bought some on ebay, to replace the 3m foam I'm using.
Hth
Ralph

Do you have a link that you used? Would love to prevent the rejects that seem more frequent now. Where does the foam go and how did you bend it? Thanks!

#19183 2 years ago

I really like the Ghost cover of Enter Sandman.

1 month later
#19259 2 years ago

When I turned on my MET Pre a couple of weeks ago, all of my settings (including free play) and all of the high scores were gone. I assumed it was the battery, but I never lost the settings over the next two weeks... I bought a new battery, replaced it, and tested the original with my multimeter, and it still showed 3v, so... I'm confused, any idea what happened? Anything to be concerned with?

#19261 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Is it possible there is a setting to reset high scores every so many games?

That wouldn't reset the settings though, would it?

#19266 2 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

you didn't happen to upgrade the firmware, did you? that would wipe all of your settings and high scores

Nope, haven't updated since the latest came out.

Quoted from jawjaw:

Did it say factory settings reset on bootup? I don't know if Stern does that like B/W games. My guess is something went wrong with battery and at some point it failed. I wouldn't be worried about it unless it happens again with fresh battery.

I didn't see any message, it just said insert coin. Just weird that the battery still shows 3v.

Also was surprised that my settings and (new) high scores weren't lost when I replaced the battery (with the power off).

I'll chalk all this up to a ghost in the machine and carry on.

#19268 2 years ago

Lithium batteries like this don't drop voltage linearly like alkalines do. A worn battery may still read 3v yet not be able to provide enough current under the small load and can drop out just long enough to reset.

Thank you for that! Seems like it makes the most sense in this case, especially since I never replaced the battery and have had the machine for several years (and it was used before that).

#19271 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I bought my LE NIB, so the battery is old. Is it a special type, I should probably change it, or do people just wait until it dies?

It's a 2430 coin battery.

#19273 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Speaking of batteries, how long do stock ones last? My game is off most of the time and have had a for a long time now.

I think they say the battery is good for 5 years. I've had my MET Pre for 4 years, and it was used before that, so not sure how old the battery was. Mine is off most of the time too.

7 months later
#20061 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

All of a sudden my machine is serving up two balls into the shooter lane 90% of the time. It will serve up balls while I'm playing randomly too. The coffin mech is making a noise and trying over and over to move... would these two be related in any way? It's a little frustrating this is happening out of the blue now.
EDIT: Looks like the weld on the ball trough is broken... going to have to see if I can find a replacement part. This looks like it
https://www.pinballlife.com/upper-ball-trough-assembly-2-piece-set.html
[quoted image]

Every time I've had that happen, it's been magnetized balls.

1 month later
#20190 1 year ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath: The other thing is don't take the glass on/off with the coin door open. It's a good way to scratch the underside of the glass. You can actually see the coin door moving while the glass is sliding across it in the video.

This... I got lazy on my TWD and didn't close it because I wasn't taking the glass all the way off.... and scratched my Invisiglass.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.95
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 149.00
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 25.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fezmid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread?tu=Fezmid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.