51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7243 Magnet removal Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (7 years ago)

Post #8935 Buzzing flippers fix Posted by j_m_ (7 years ago)

Post #19696 Fixing random drop targets dropping Posted by swampfire (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DaveH.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12371 6 years ago

I just joined the club tonight!! I hadn't planned on it, but it sort of fell in my lap today. So we will see if it lasts or not.

IMG_5847 (resized).JPGIMG_5847 (resized).JPG

#12376 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I just joined the club tonight!! I hadn't planned on it, but it sort of fell in my lap today. So we will see if it lasts or not.

And my first reactions are: Hey this game is a blast! And, OMG does a normal DMD look bad in this game. Color DMD ordered for it this morning has already shipped. It's something you can't unsee. I've played enough MET with one that regular dots just won't do.

#12410 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

The dead bounce to scoop trick doesn't work on a lot of games. It's highly dependent on the plunger spring tension, how your flippers are adjusted, the slope of the table, etc ...

And THIS is why I'm reading the owners thread! I didn't know that was possible, but I'm sure going to check my game tonight. That would be an awesome way to hit the scoop easy!

#12412 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

And my first reactions are: Hey this game is a blast! And, OMG does a normal DMD look bad in this game. Color DMD ordered for it this morning has already shipped. It's something you can't unsee. I've played enough MET with one that regular dots just won't do.

And yummy! It should be a required upgrade.

IMG_5879 (resized).JPGIMG_5879 (resized).JPG

#12414 6 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

Just wondering,does your back box rattle more when the shaker is activated after installing your lcd dmd?

I don't have the shaker in it yet.

I could see how it would rattle depending on the installation of the color DMD though. They listed the 2 washers on the posts as optional, but then the spacers (the stock ones that you reuse) would be loose because the hex post would bottom out.

This is how I have the corners.

IMG_5858 (resized).JPGIMG_5858 (resized).JPG

It's the clear shield, the black 1/4" spacer, 2 washers, and the hex post. That all locks down nice and tight.

The two posts in the center of the old DMD have 1/4" spacers, and one of the original DMD nuts to lock them.

Finally, the speaker wire is attached tightly at all 3 points it was before on the bottom of the old DMD using the mount screw for the DMD driver board that I didn't need because it was already a 5v DMD.

So I didn't see anywhere I could get new rattles. But I'll let you know once I get the shaker I ordered.

#12430 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I recently swapped out my LCD display with an LED display, I'm still on the fence as to the LED vs LCD display. While I do like the display options available with the LCD, the colors of the LED are so much more vibrant that it makes it a hard decision
What to you guys think?

I'm not on the fence at all. LCD, hands down. The LED display looks out of focus to me because each color is in a slightly different spot. So the light that comes out of it is too sharp, and I don't like the look. I've installed quite a few in other folks games, and I never like it.

The LCD rocks.

1 week later
#12482 6 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

I had the same thing with my SMVE right outta the box. Sounds like you need to adjust the trough switch arms slightly so that they are slightly lower to allow the balls to roll down and not bounce back.

And I had it in my AC/DC VE. The microswitch activation arms were curved up so far that they stopped a slow moving ball from registering. A small tweak to bend the arms with a switch adjuster cured it quickly.

Zooming into the picture above shows the bend in the blade. And therefore the roller is too high and holding up the ball. Look right into the lower window shown here and you will see it.

IMG_5985 (resized).PNGIMG_5985 (resized).PNG

1 week later
#12521 6 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

What is the name of the setting in the menus that allows you to start a whole new game if you are in the middle of one by pushing start?

It's called "Ball 2". Comon Man, play it out. With IM you are never out of it until the last ball drains, and the comeback is a thrill.

#12523 6 years ago

Ugh. I just walked into my gameroom and noticed that the head decals on my MET LED have peeled off half way. Is there some better glue for that, or do I need to get in touch with Stern and buy new ones?

IMG_6104 (resized).JPGIMG_6104 (resized).JPG

#12526 6 years ago

June of 2016. Thanks for the advice. I contacted support on their website. Hopefully that's quick and easy.

#12529 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Let us know how it goes...

It went about as I expected. I contacted Stern and they said the game is out of warranty, so they are not covered and that I should contact a distributor to buy them... So I contacted my distributor to buy a set. Hopefully they fixed their glue issue on the new ones because I'm obviously going to clean that mess up.

#12533 6 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I thought that, too, at first. It curled under itself.

Correct, it curled under. It looks like two because it had peeled from the back a while ago. Then it started peeling from the top, and then the weight of the decal seems to have pulled it half way down the side. As soon as I know how much it will cost, I'll probably just peel it off the rest of the way and clean the sides with alcohol to get it prepped for new stickers.

Any advice from anyone that has replaced these would be appreciated. I'm planning on the normal prep to clean it, then peel the top of the new ones, lightly line up the top, and then peel the protective part out from under as I stick it down. Working my way down the side lightly, then heavier as I'm sure it is aligned.

#12535 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

It went about as I expected. I contacted Stern and they said the game is out of warranty, so they are not covered and that I should contact a distributor to buy them... So I contacted my distributor to buy a set. Hopefully they fixed their glue issue on the new ones because I'm obviously going to clean that mess up.

And then it didn’t go as expected... Stern stepped back in and is going to send me a set of backbox decals. It was a very pleasant surprise. But I guess not a huge surprise. They have taken care of me a couple of times over the years.

So while this started with me saying “Ugh”, it will all be fine. I’ll show a picture once I get them and install them.

Well done Stern, and thanks.

#12537 6 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

I joined the club! A new Premium is on its way to me right now. I’ve been VERY excited counting the minutes until the expected delivery date of this Friday. However today I got some bad news when I checked the online FedEx tracking and saw that it has been delayed due to weather in Salt Lake. What a let down! I don’t see why it’s delayed considering each time I look at the weather app it doesn’t show any big storms in Utah at all. What the hell fedex??!!
On a good note, I’ve purchased a number or mods ahead of time

Welcome to the club! It's a great game!

My opinion on mods in mine so far... Love the ColorDMD in it. I really like the florescent plastic protectors. The snake mouth decal (though I have a Pro, so it fits). The "skull thingy" (again, Pro). The green under Fuel, and the colors under the main inserts (cross, sparky, coffin, snake).

The only one I'm a little unsure about is the LED OCD. I just put one in a couple days ago. I have it in other games, and it is perfect. But I'm not sure if I miss the attack of the LEDs in MET. I put one into IMVE the same day and thought it rocked right away. So it might take a couple weeks for me to adjust. And if I don't, I might try adjusting the settings for it.

1 week later
#12597 6 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Best pinball mod out there.
Great system support too.
Metallica is also one of the better games to be colorised.
Seriously - look past the money - it’s a great addition to your already premium priced, brilliantly coded, limited edition pinball machine.

And I didn't look at it as a mod for MET, I looked at it that if I sold MET I'd put it in a different game. It make the $400 easier if I'm not going to sell it later. I'll probably always own games they fit in. The DMD from the game goes in a box and I'll toss it back in the game to sell it.

#12605 6 years ago

My new backbox decals arrived (Thanks Chas!). They come rolled up, so I uncurled them over the course of a couple hours, and now they are sitting between some cardboard to make sure they stay flat.

The backbox looks really interesting without decals right now, but I'll take care of it soon.

#12638 6 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

I can't say, I own both pins but have not got either.

Same here. I own both, and I’m not even close to either.

Quoted from Damien:

I know it might be tough to get an unbiased opinion in an owner's club, but how does MET stack up to Spiderman for enjoyability?

It may not be unbiased, but MET is a much better game. Spider-Man is fine. But it doesn’t have the spark that MET has. MET is just great.

#12647 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The Pro is killer. I like everything about the Premium except for the hammer. Its just too big and i gotta believe that it blocks your view of a couple of shots. It also seems to have some problems from what ive read. Id go Premium if the hammer wasnt part of the package. I know alot of people will disagree with me but i just dont like it at all.

The hammer was my biggest reason to make the same choice. I have a Pro and love it.

3 months later
#13616 5 years ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

If so how can you determine if the machine has the bad playfield

Look at the playfield, and if it's chipped... it probably has a bad playfield.

I don't mean to be flippant. But if you are buying used, look at it before you buy it. If it is NIB, Stern is pretty good about fixing issues on NIB games.

Oh, and Welcome to the Club! MET is a great game!

1 week later
#13677 5 years ago

This game is a freaking blast. When I bought it 5 months ago I really had no idea if it was going to last in my house. And I had put today (the day I’m driving to Pintastic) as the day I would have sold it if it wasn’t fitting in.

Now that I’ve had it for a bit, I can say it’s greatness comes completely from Crank It Up. Without CIU MET is fairly average. Hit X a bunch to start it’s mode, then hit X a bunch again to collect its points. There are already a bunch of games that do that. Plus a couple of minor side things to do. However, collect enough of everything and you get yourself to CIU. And CIU is all about risk vs reward. The more you build the jackpot, the higher the risk of draining. You want to double that jackpot? Make more shots. It constantly adds pressure to make dangerous shots or fail.

It takes shots to get there, it takes good shots to complete it, and it takes good shots to get out with a big jackpot. OR it ends with swearing and giving the machine the finger as you drain. Lyman programmed it to have that nugget right where it should be. I almost feel like the game really starts when you get to CIU. The rest is fun, but that’s when you need to really play well.

Obviously the game isn’t going anywhere today

#13748 5 years ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

Are mirrors good on this?

I just put a set in a couple days ago. I like them a lot!

#13799 5 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

What do you guys think it's worth?

I think it’s worth... keeping

I know, stupid answer. But my MET has taken over almost all my playing time lately. I just added a playfield protector, Cliffy’s, a shaker, mirror blades, and a few smaller changes (already had color DMD and the green plastic protectors,and other mods). Great game.

#13808 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Against pinside rules to modify an actual quote so I'm going to re-quote you below with a slightly better example
"Oh, I didn't even realize that Stern originally shipped games with teeth. That's kind of a lazy fix. That would be kind of like "fixing" the left orbit on GOT Prem/LE by just disabling the control gate in the code forcing all balls to go in the pops."

Wow. That was the exact example I was thinking of. Freaky.

#13829 5 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Is there anything to watch out for when installing the mystery scoop cliffy?

You need a deep socket to pull the playfield post that the Cliffy goes under and yes, watch out, because it has a nut on the bottom of it that needs to come out first. So take off the nut from the bottom of the playfield, and then unscrew the metal post.

But really it’s easy. You don’t need to take the scoop itself out or anything.

#13854 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

Not quite sure of the differences between the Pro and Premium but was the green light lit above the snakes head prior to shooting the snake? On the pro sometimes I find you have to shoot the snake just to get one of the snake inserts to light at which point it behaves like you've described except it actually lights some of the snake inserts, but nothing happening on the DMD or lights on the actual snake scoop. Then you need shoot one of the lit snake shots before you can shoot the actual snake and actually score a letter. Might that be the case on the Premium too?

I think you are correct. If the snake isn't lit, it just spits out the ball. You need to hit a shot to re-light it and qualify collecting another letter.

I'm in the process of adding lights under my snake because I found it easy to miss seeing it lit with all the other lights in the game. Otherwise I'd just go confirm it 100% on my game.

#13864 5 years ago
Quoted from JB-7X:

Any pro tips for the install as far as stuff I should watch out for??

It really depends on which backbox you have in your game. But really, it is a pretty straighforward install.

Oh, and you chose your wife wisely.

1 week later
#13889 5 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

let it roll down and hit the left flipper while it's in the down position which bounces it up and to the right into the hole.

Along with the other suggestions, it is possible that your flippers are adjusted too high. On my game it’s tough to hit, but possible with a good shot. But if you’re finding it impossible from the very end of the flipper, I’d adjust them down a bit. It’s your game, and it should be possible (but tough) to hit the shots.

#13895 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

That being when you start multiball hitting the 4 pick targets lights the snake for an add-a-ball. I knew there was an add-a-ball to all the multi-balls but I didn't know how I was getting it.

That also gives you double scoring So with that, and double scoring at FUEL, welcome to the “Jack F**king Pot” club! Best call out in the game.

#13925 5 years ago

Truth! And it's completely normal, don't worry about it.

And once it’s so hammered that you can’t stand it, the magnet core can be replaced easily.

#13973 5 years ago

That callout and "Jack f'in pot!" are my favs

Jack F’in Pot is the best callout in the game. Especially when I’m trying to get it with 4x scoring. It’s fine when it happens by accident. But when I’m attempting to get it, and do, bliss.

#13979 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I could swear that you can't bypass the intro the 1st time in a game, but can on the 2nd and future sparky multi-balls (during the same game) by holding both flippers

I can go test that...

Nope. There is no cancellation on the 2nd or 3rd Sparky multiball.

#13983 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Ugh. I just walked into my gameroom and noticed that the head decals on my MET LED have peeled off half way. Is there some better glue for that, or do I need to get in touch with Stern and buy new ones?
[quoted image]

Well that was a bit of a saga. Chas had sent me decals, but they were the wrong ones (for the old style backbox). After the right ones were sent (thanks Chas!), I sort of dragged my feet. However my Metallica is going to a show this weekend, so I dug in and out on new backbox decals.

It wasn’t nearly as bad as I feared it would be. I cleaned the backbox with alcohol. Then did a very light sanding to give it a key. Then another good cleaning with alcohol and clean rags until I felt it was ready.

I started with painters tape getting it in position I was happy with while it still had the backing on it. When I was satisfied with the position, I pulled the backing off the top inch and folded it under. Then some careful placement, and I had a good starting point. I then checked everything again, and moved the tape to the top. Finally I reached under and started peeling the backing while working the decal down with a microfiber cloth. I kept checking my position along the way, and was really careful to not get air bubbles under it.

Overall I’m happy with it. And I really was tired of just seeing the black side of the head.

Pardon the crappy picture. The game is in my garage for loading tomorrow.

Prepped surface:

5547DA7F-7A9B-40FA-9877-80909EF95F27 (resized).jpeg5547DA7F-7A9B-40FA-9877-80909EF95F27 (resized).jpeg

The end result:

BCC8C388-A48D-47C6-A799-114349B8A8AC (resized).jpegBCC8C388-A48D-47C6-A799-114349B8A8AC (resized).jpeg

#13987 5 years ago

Unfortunately when it let go from the side of the head it kind of rolled the glue side together. I tried to pull it flat, but it just tore. So it was trash.

I do have the wrong set still (old style), but it would be a shame to do anything with them, because eventually I’m sure I’ll run into someone with that style head that lost a decal. And then it will be their lucky day.

#13996 5 years ago

Closest I have ever gotten was 3 CIUs.
[quoted image]

I had 2 CIUs in a single game once. Both of them were pathetic. I always get greedy and try to double it. I’ve also learned it’s the fastest way to lose your ball, yet I keep trying.

3 weeks later
#14132 5 years ago

What an odd issue.

My up post near the lanes started catching the ball and not releasing it. Then a ball search would pop it loose. I figured it was hanging up on the playfield protector or something dumb. Tonight it just stopped working.

Upon pulling the mech out, the post was just stuck in the sleeve. So out it came. Come to find out, the roll pin had worked loose and was jamming against the sleeve. I had just never seen that particular issue before.

You can see the roll pin highlighted by my finger. Just that little bit was enough to jam it.

E4B9C5D4-524B-47ED-9183-B841B9BB9FAD (resized).jpegE4B9C5D4-524B-47ED-9183-B841B9BB9FAD (resized).jpeg

Obviously all it took was a quick tap with a hammer and a punch to fix.

1 week later
#14165 5 years ago

How long does the honeymoon last? I’ve only owned MET for about 8 months now, but I still love this game. I’m still altering strategies on it. Lately I’ve been on a kick of getting shots completed and collecting the hurryups from them so they remain lit ball to ball. When I do it, I seem to really start building up scores. I still get greedy trying to double CIU collects, and it keeps costing me.

The game just seems able to meet my mood. If I want to just bash, I can just play multiballs. If I want complexity with risk reward, CIU. It just seems to scratch so many different itches.

3 months later
#15462 5 years ago
Quoted from PolePosition:

I have some questions for the MET Pro owners who have installed a playfield protector:
- How easy was it to install, and were there any mech or switch adjustments required to account for the thicker surface?
- Does it interfere with Cliffys that are already on the game, and does it eliminate the need for certain Cliffys?
- Would a playfield protector help visually eliminate the ribbed surface that is apparently commonplace with the newer Stern Pro playfields?
Thanks!

I put one on my MET, and I love it on this game.

I’ve done a few, but I found MET went pretty easy and quick. I don’t recall any switch adjustments, but I would have taken the 10 seconds to do it if there were.

I have Cliffys in the shooter lane, and the scoop. At the scoop, the protector just lays over the Cliffy.

It won’t eliminate what’s there. So you will still see the ribbed texture if your game has it. I’m not the first owner of my MET, so the other day updating code the glare of the fluorescent tube really showed the playfield divots from before the protector. But I don’t care. The reason I did the protector on MET is because it gets quite a few games in my house, and I wanted it to last forever. I’ve put on protectors, but then taken them back off games because it didn’t play right. But on my MET, it’s great. Plus I took it to Saratoga for the show there, and barely had to clean it when I got back.

#15469 5 years ago
Quoted from PolePosition:

One more question - do you remove the factory Mylar before adding the playfield protector?

Quoted from finnflash:

No, and you will need to raise the drop targets til they are flush with the protector.

finnflash is correct. You don’t remove the Mylar. And as he said, you need to raise the drop targets, and also the post in the back. There are adjustments built into the mechs to raise them.

1 week later
#15493 5 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

My worry now is, even with a working board, there may have been some peripheral damage from this episode that I haven't been able to yet diagnose.

If it is, it is. Just keep your hand on the power switch when you flip it back on. If anything locks on, snap it back off and diagnose.

And of course, before any of that, check and connectors being “off by one”, especially the ribbon cables. Most have keys to prevent it, but sometimes things get missed. I’ve had ribbon cables on Whitestar off by half the block which causes all kinds of fun. So check everything again. Take them all back off, and start fresh before applying power again.

3 weeks later
#15668 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Well, I'm a topper guy

What... The... Hell... Now my nightmares are fed for the next year.

9 months later
#16917 4 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

Maybe someone with a pro can take a picture or someone can give me an idea why I cant get my targets to register.

Sorry for the delay. I’ve had my MET for a while, so I don’t check the thread as much anymore.

Here is the picture on a Pro, and it looks like you’re wired correctly.

7FA19559-CBD0-4C75-857C-09E37563B632 (resized).jpeg7FA19559-CBD0-4C75-857C-09E37563B632 (resized).jpeg

So that leads us to standard debugging of an opto. And the easiest spot to check first is fuses. So pop open the backbox, flip on the game, CLOSE THE DOOR, and look at the nice LEDs Stern provides. Are they all lit?

944ED964-8F82-404F-A095-CAB0DCD9383D (resized).jpeg944ED964-8F82-404F-A095-CAB0DCD9383D (resized).jpeg

#16950 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

It's probably my most played pin

Quoted from konghusker:

I seriously love the game and play it the most

Quoted from konghusker:

It's definitely my go to game more than anything else I own

These are 3 statements from a person that should NOT sell his Metallica. In fact, I can take that a step farther... these are 3 statements from a guy that will have to buy another MET later for more money... Heed my words (and your own)... these are not the sounds of someone ready to sell a game.

#16959 4 years ago

He just did the Pro version as well, and the thing is a fun change up for the holidays!

Highly recommended.

1 month later
#17145 4 years ago

Like everyone else, I think ColorDMD is a “must have” in this game. I have the shaker as well, but ColorDMD is the big one for me. It’s a really good implementation and looks like it should be there. Without it, the dots look old (in my opinion).

#17183 4 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

good points. given the variety. i think both afm and jp are different than what i have. already have 1 rock game.

In my game room Aerosmith is right between MET and AFM (original). They are all great games. Right now on MET I’m still running that Christmas mix someone did, because it’s so awesome. I was never a huge fan or Metallica’s music, but the game is so darn good I got over it. This mix just fixes that.

That all said, my AFM is still fairly new to my house (6 months ish), so I’m playing it a ton. I had played it a lot over the years, but it’s greatness comes out when you own it. I only learned about the cumulative Annihilation Jackpot about a month ago. And trying to intentionally set up dirty pool is a blast. But just trying to light everything to Rule the Universe (I haven’t), and destroying saucers is so rewarding.

I don’t have enough time on the new JP to make a real evaluation. I’ve enjoyed playing it, but I found the call outs a spec annoying. Hopefully in the future I can get enough games to really know it.

10 months later
#17943 3 years ago
Quoted from Sixmillion:

So I have never played Ironman, but I do like the theme. I have an opportunity to sell my Metallica pro to buy a new Ironman vault edition. I am on the fence about what I should do.
I like the look (art) of Metallica better, but I am not sure about everything else. They both have the same amount of toys, 3 each including 1 bash toy each. Metallica has 3 drop targets while Ironman has none, but Ironman has 3 spinners and Metallica has none.
As for rules, I know Metallica and the crank it up modes are great, but I don’t really know Ironman rules enough to compare?
As for game play , Metallica shots are tight, but not having played Ironman I don’t know how it shoots?
In the end I would put a lot of emphasis on is it “fun” ? Some people say Metallica is like chopping wood, is Ironman like this?
So if any of you have both of these games or are familiar with both of these machines I would appreciate some feedback. My window of opportunity to sell my Metallica is small so I have to make a decision very soon.
Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike. I own both MET and IM, so I’ll give my opinion. First, the easy part, I love both games. But they are very different animals.

IM is a spectacular “quick hit”. You can play 3 games in 10 minutes and reach the depths and the heights of pinball satisfaction or anger. It is amazing how quickly it can suck you in, because it is just a fight. IM provides pinball satisfaction, but needs other games around it. It’s not a great standalone game. It’s shallow, but oh, so fun.

MET is a great “all around” game because it’s got a LOT to do. There are tons of different ways to play it. Some days I do “Sparky all day”. Other days it’s all about CIU. Sometimes it’s Snake Multiball, or Seek And Destroy, or Lady Justice. It’s got a lot going on. And the best part of that is that I can approach he game differently any time I want to. It’s a basher, it’s a shooter, it can play whatever type of thing your in the mood for.

So overall, I think MET is the better game. That’s not selling IM short, but MET has much more variety. I tend to follow a path on IM that is a bit too locked in. I’m qualifying drones, raising Monger, starting Warmachine, starting Monger. It’s wonderful to “do the thing”, and collecting DoD hurryup Right into Jericho is a blast. But if I could only have one of those two games, it would be MET. YMMV.

2 months later
#18229 3 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

My right side decal on the back box has been peeling away for some time now. I already received replacement decals but just wondering how they get applied. Do I just remove the old decal, clean the surface, then peel and apply the new decal?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/280#post-4532255

I did this on my MET a while back. The biggest thing is the surface preparation before putting on the new one. And then the biggest thing is being very precise with placement. Make sure you have blue painters tape for the placement.

It’s pretty easy, but a bit nerve wracking. Just because it’s not something we commonly do. If you have any questions that my old post doesn’t answer, I’ll try to answer them.

2 weeks later
#18274 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

In my local “for sale” thread there was a MET being offered and there was a comment on it this morning. It got me thinking about my MET.

MET might be one of the greatest games ever made. I’m making that statement after owning it for 3 years, so it’s no longer the honeymoon. The reason I bought MET was it fell into my lap for a great price. The price where I could own it for 6 months and get every dime back when I sold it. Those are my favorite kind of deals, almost like a free rental. So of course I did it.

Very quickly I liked the game. It was always fine (I had played it on location with older code), but the honeymoon was as good as you would expect. It would get a lot of play, and was pretty reliable. I added a few things, changed a bit of the lighting (green light strips under the snake look cool), ColorDMD, Cliffys, the usual stuff. I even took it to the Saratoga pinball show. Fun times.

And then the honeymoon waned. It just became another game in my collection. I always enjoyed playing it, just like all my games. But it lived right in the middle of the group. A really good game. It became one of my “end of the night” games. A game I’d play after hosting league, or if I got home from traveling and just wanted to play pinball.

There was one other change that others may not agree with, and that is the soundtrack I have on there. I wasn’t a huge Metallica fan, but really enjoyed the game. When the “Christmas Mix” version came out, I loaded it as a joke. I thought it would be fun for the season that year. Well I thought it was just awesome! So I ended up keeping it there through the year. This definitely falls into the category of “my game, my rules”. I always think people should set up their games how they like them, no matter what anyone else thinks. I really like that music on there.

And that brings us to today. Once in a while I do a “King of the collection” process with my games. It’s just a match play process of “which game would I sell”. And MET wins that competition. If I could only have one game, right now it would be MET.

It’s the variety in the game. I can play it different ways depending on my mood. That’s because of the different objectives in the game. I laugh now when people call it “wood choppy”, because yes, you have to make some shots to get rewards, welcome to pinball. I still have problems making the piston shot because I love hitting the combo right ramp to piston shots together. The multiballs are fun, and the Jack F$#&$* Pot call out still amuses me. Hitting the ramps back and forth leads to fun. Pretty much anything you do leads to fun. And you can focus in on individual ones, making it vary how you want to play. Overall it’s a great package. I think the game is going to be with me a long time. The first 3 years have worked out great!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 12.95
$ 149.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DaveH.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread?tu=DaveH and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.