met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg
IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7243 Magnet removal Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (7 years ago)

Post #8935 Buzzing flippers fix Posted by j_m_ (7 years ago)

Post #19696 Fixing random drop targets dropping Posted by swampfire (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Bundy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15624 5 years ago

Just figure I would share a few pics of my Metallica Road Case which I have had for a couple of years.
Really like the game and with the new code it is even better.

IMG_3764 (resized).JPGIMG_3764 (resized).JPGIMG_3765 (resized).JPGIMG_3765 (resized).JPGIMG_3766 (resized).JPGIMG_3766 (resized).JPGIMG_3769 (resized).JPGIMG_3769 (resized).JPG
#15626 5 years ago

They are nice but I focus more on the playfield than the DMD so I do not care that much for the DMD to justify the cost.

#15639 5 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

If u can justify the cost of a custom shooter rod & sparky.... u should be able to justify a color dmd! Definitely worth it on MET

They were on the game when I bought it.

1 week later
#15723 5 years ago

My 13 year old son set a new personal best yesterday.
Soon I better watch out

IMG_3807 (resized).JPGIMG_3807 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#15800 5 years ago
Quoted from t2:

New to the Met Pro club. Curious to what a stock from the factory Met Pro looked like? Any pics or brochures out there I can use to compare against mine. Would like to know what was added.

Available as pdf.
https://sternpinball.com/game/metallica/

1 week later
#15866 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Eddie:

Thanks for the help and it’s weird as it seems like it’s split 50/50, some people say stock is fine and upgrading speakers won’t really help with the newer Sterns while others say they are cheap paper speakers and it would help a lot putting in new speakers.

Flipper Fidelity speakers makes a hugh different to stock speakers.
I have them in my MET Premium and they sound very good.
I also have a stand alone sub in another game but to me the Flipper Fidelty is better.

#15868 5 years ago

I can imagine that

#15880 5 years ago

My MET does the exact same thing.

1 week later
#15945 5 years ago

Could be an air ball that has hit and bent the diode on one of the switches causing a short.

3 weeks later
#16040 5 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Congrats! But your delivery guy didn't notice the "TRUCK THIS SIDE ONLY" on the side of the box? Luckily the game survived!

Probably more didn't care than didn't notice

1 week later
#16080 5 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Cause it's a belt buckle on a pinball machine.

There are plenty of mods out there which are way worse if you ask me.

1 month later
#16243 4 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

I did forget to mention that when I raised the pitch, I also cleaned and waxed the pf.
I had no idea waxing could cause bricking on the targets, so i attributed it to the pitch.
I still think the targets should drop on contact, am I right? Is it time to adjust spring tension?
Do I just cut the springs shorter?

When the game plays fast, sometimes the drop targets bounce back to the resting position after a hit before the spring as had a chance to pull it down.

2 months later
#16508 4 years ago

Not pinball related but Metallica related.
Last week my son, girlfriend and I went to see Metallica in Gothenburg together with 64000 other people.
It was epic!

IMG_4608 (resized).JPGIMG_4608 (resized).JPGIMG_4613 (resized).JPGIMG_4613 (resized).JPG
4 weeks later
#16609 4 years ago
Quoted from KYLEDM5:

What do you chaps think about Cliffy vs Mantis in regards to protecting the mystery hole?
It seems like there's a trade off. Cliffy offers better protection, but as usual, it will somewhat affect the ball's travel and get worse over time.
The Mantis looks like it wouldn't affect the ball at all, but it doesn't protect the rim of the hole.
Anyone have long term/hard use with either one? Pics?
Thanks!

Cliffy all day long. Protect the part of the hole that gets worn. Which is the whole point.

#16616 4 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Gents,
Where can you buy a good Met shooter rod?
Also, some good flipper bat covers - Metallica themed of course
Thanks....

I use the bat from Scared Stiff in my MET.

77f94c08dcdd3e5529bc2d6df0ecf7b714bc7d40 (resized).jpg77f94c08dcdd3e5529bc2d6df0ecf7b714bc7d40 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#16642 4 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

I think the two holes are supposed to have rubber stoppers cause that corresponds to where the head rests on the cab side rails.

and the playfield when you raise it against the back box.

1 month later
#16814 4 years ago

Replace if worn or adjust tension on the back.

1 month later
#16856 4 years ago

I am afraid not.

1 month later
#16990 4 years ago
Quoted from mizzou:

Does anyone do cpu/sound board repair for Metallica boards? I've got a problem with mine. Everything on J1p3 is dead. Tested for continuity and it tested positive...530 bucks for a new one on marco...yikes

Check the easy stuff first:
Fuse, transistor, header pin for cracks, diod etc.

2 weeks later
#17102 4 years ago
Quoted from BigalzPinz:

So funny to here people on here that only play a few times a week,,,, I can’t hardly stand being away from my Met ! I didn’t buy mine to stare at in a corner or save it for years to sell later !! Just funny to me

For us that have more than one machine we can be playing more than a few times a week and still have games that have not been touched

2 months later
#17430 4 years ago
Quoted from LoganJK:

The fuses do not look blown, is this maybe a bad solder on the board? We tried wiggling connectors and nothing.
thanks for the help everyone.

Always buzz a fuse with a DMM, many times they can look OK but infact be bad.

2 weeks later
#17491 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I finally got around to working on my magnet board that burned up ... The damage to the board itself was fairly substantial penetrating several layers deep into the board.
[quoted image]
The board prep consisted of cleaning the board to remove all the charred residue then using a dremel to mill out as much of charred layers of fiber as I could...this could not all be removed as the board was burned through to the back side.
I didn't get pictures of the board prep or this actual PCB repair, but here's a video on how its done:

The Failure was identified as a shorted MOSFET which was replaced along with the burned resistor, a 10W resistor was installed to replace the 5W that burned.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Its hard to tell from the pictures, but the repair to the board is completely smooth and I used a clear epoy for the fill...if I had green dye to add to the epoxy this would have looked much better.
EDIT: Board was installed in machine, played a few games and I'm happy to report it's working great!

Not too uncommon I am afraid on MET. My board released the magic smooke a few months ago. Same result to the board, easy fix though.

3 months later
#17662 3 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

How can I tell if my METLE has the new magnet board or not? I've found that the Hammer magnet only grabs the ball on very slow rollovers.

It should say REV D.

2 months later
#17779 3 years ago

Had a very good first ball yesterday. 460 million at start of ball two.
Then I totally f*up the last two balls and ended up with 526 million...
Oh well there is always next game...

C04EF522-5690-4B87-ABA2-391CFA53AB7A (resized).jpegC04EF522-5690-4B87-ABA2-391CFA53AB7A (resized).jpegD322BCE9-216B-441A-A4E8-1EE876AE6B75 (resized).jpegD322BCE9-216B-441A-A4E8-1EE876AE6B75 (resized).jpeg
3 months later
#18024 3 years ago

I have the Road Case Premium with the Monsters translite.
Best of both worlds if you ask me

3 weeks later
#18140 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

What Premium/LE owners among you are using full Cliffy sets?
I'm wondering how the ball behaves when it rolls over the rings that surround the Coffin, Gravemarker, and Sparky magnets. Perhaps the carbon fiber rings are thinner and don't disturb the ball as much.
Do the ramp returns drop on the lane switches, necessitating those switch-slot Cliffys?
Lastly, is the Snake Cliffy necessary? I'm looking at that spot on the PF and I don't see how the ball can "rim" that edge. I mean, it goes into the Snake's mouth or it gets ejected from it, but it never really gets a chance to dig into that rim because the jaw of the snake sits so close to it, etc.
Is if fair to say that mylar rings to surround the Gravemarker and Sparky magnets, plus the Mystery Scoop Cliffy, plus shooter-lane Cliffys are enough?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
[quoted image][quoted image]

My coffin magnet had a lot of false readings due to the stainless protector, I would recommend carbon there instead if you decide on a protector around that magnet.

2 weeks later
#18259 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Found this unfamiliar heat-sink thingy in the head of my game.
Please tell me its function.
I need to move it to accommodate a speaker upgrade. It has its own fuse, mounted nearby.
[quoted image][quoted image]
**Update**
I was told by LTG that this is a bridge rectifier. I don't mind moving it. I'm just surprised to find it there as this is my fourth SAM machine and my first encounter with this thing. Do the rest of you Premium/LE owners have this rectifier? Why is it necessary when it isn't necessary on MET PRO, TWD PRO, or TWDLE?

I have that bridge rectumfier it in my Met Premium as well, just installed in different location.

1 month later
#18335 3 years ago
Quoted from MrCleanHead:

I have been messing around with this for a couple of months and finally got something Im happy with. Simple add on Mod that takes up some of the bare area. I will have these listed here on pinside when I get a chance and my internet speeds pick up, plus Im late for work I currently do have these on ebay if you didnt want to wait.
LMK what you think or PM me with any questions/suggestions.
Thanks
Rob
[quoted image]

The Cliff Burton cross I get but seems kind of strange to me having names of people still alive on a cross.

4 months later
#19025 2 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

Be intereated to hear if any others have the same issue

+1000 games on my MET. The decal has no damage what so ever.

#19030 2 years ago

Too many games not enough time

2 months later
#19280 2 years ago

My also, I think there is a lot of signed translites out there.

2 months later
#19492 2 years ago
Quoted from Bestshore:

Hello,
I’ve got a met premium. The coffin magnet is locked on. I checked the ohms on the magnet and it still is reading 4.7. No broken wires on the magnet.
I pulled the board and looked at the resistor, no evidence of it being burned up. It looks like I need a new magnet board.
My question is: any way to test the old board? what else should I check prior to installing a new board? Maybe a failed transistor somewhere that caused it to lock on?
I believe this is a fairly common problem with this machine.
Thanks for any help

Check the transistor on the magnet board using a DMM, it is most likely shorted.

Put the black lead of your DMM on the center lead or on the metal tab of the transistor. Put the red lead of your DMM on each of the two outside legs of the transistor one at a time. You should get a reading of .4 to .6 volts. Any other value, and the transistor is bad and will need to be replaced.

#19502 2 years ago
Quoted from Bestshore:

Bundy
Thanks for letting me know about the transistor on the magnet board.
Any chance you know which transistor I can use to replace?
The original, I was told, SPP15P10PL, is no longer being produced.

You can replace it with any other 15A P-channel mosfet transistor. Eg TO220.
https://www.transistormosfet.com/transistor?search=SPP15P10PL

1 month later
#19707 2 years ago

Could be a lot of things:
Mushroomed coil plunger
Mushroomed bracket stop
Worn sleeves
Worn out armature link
To much play in the linkage/bushing
Wrong size rubber

10 months later
#20668 1 year ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

My Pro today let's the ball loop on the plunge without holding the left flipper, it no longer stops at the top lanes. Haven't had a chance to look yet, but Any idea?

Check if one of the two leads going to the coil for the post has come loose.

1 month later
#20708 1 year ago
Quoted from brewmanager:

Can anyone verify for me that this is the correct magnet core for Sparky?
https://www.pinballlife.com/complete-under-playfield-magnet-assembly.html
Thanks!

The core is soft and can be grinded to new again if it is just mushroomed, no need to replace.

1 month later
#20852 11 months ago
Quoted from OutlawTorn304:

The sticky part stays. The Velcro is pulling apart

When you need velcro that actually stick together use 3M Dual lock, the best velcro around.

#20868 11 months ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

My magnet isn't catching the balls like it used to? The balls appear to be fine, does the magnet need to be done? I'm not sure what to look for?
[quoted image]

When the magnet looks like that you need to grind it or replace it.
It should have a smooth surface and sit level to the play field.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
$ 25.50
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Bundy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread?tu=Bundy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.