IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0271 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 98 of 433.
#4851 8 years ago

anybody had a shaker motor installed on there machine from day one, lots of gameplays?

I turned my machines volume down the other day, and noticed it sounded like the shaker had worked itself loose.....nope, basically the entire cabinet is 'shaking apart' it sounded like.

it seems as if these stern cabinets are shaking apart literally? anybody else notice this, kind of amazing. my friend and I have been discussing the 'quality' of the building materials for Stern cabinets lately, as he noticed his new KISS is super light, both the cab and the backbox when pulled off.

thoughts? had to set it to minimal shaker mode to prevent my machine from further rattling apart.

#4852 8 years ago

Try to tighten the screws holding the shaker cover on. That's typically a culprit for excessive noise. The other is the PF glass - some extra beer-seal lockdown bar foam can help there. It is highly unlikely your shaker is disassembling your cabinet

#4853 8 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

he noticed his new KISS is super light

stern lists kiss as the same weight as its other cabs I think?

#4854 8 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Try to tighten the screws holding the shaker cover on. That's typically a culprit for excessive noise. The other is the PF glass - some extra beer-seal lockdown bar foam can help there

tightened the mounting screws as well as the cover. same noise rattle, determined its not the shaker, pressed on the pf firmly, not the pf shaking...oh well, as long as it powers up and plays

the pf glass is firmly positioned on the machine, but I may line it with electrical tape, thanks for the suggestion!

#4855 8 years ago

Some backglasses are pretty loose actually too.

Other than that, I don't know what to say without hearing it

#4856 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

stern lists kiss as the same weight as its other cabs I think?

not as compared to pre spike systems I'm assuming. just going off what my buddy told me, 'I can't believe how light this kiss machine is, the backbox weights nothing' as he had to remove it for transportation.

#4857 8 years ago

Transfo weighs less then the switched power supply now used.. hence the difference in weight I guess.

#4858 8 years ago

stern specs list Metallica and Kiss both at 250 Lbs.

#4859 8 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

anybody had a shaker motor installed on there machine from day one, lots of gameplays?
I turned my machines volume down the other day, and noticed it sounded like the shaker had worked itself loose.....nope, basically the entire cabinet is 'shaking apart' it sounded like.
it seems as if these stern cabinets are shaking apart literally? anybody else notice this, kind of amazing. my friend and I have been discussing the 'quality' of the building materials for Stern cabinets lately, as he noticed his new KISS is super light, both the cab and the backbox when pulled off.
thoughts? had to set it to minimal shaker mode to prevent my machine from further rattling apart.

I've had a shaker on mine for 2 years. Yes, the glass and backglass will rattle a lot, if you don't do anything about it. And if you didn't use LockTite when installing the shaker, you'll need to tighten its mounting screws every few months. If your cabinet really is shaking apart, the damage would be visible. See if you can get pics. I personally doubt that's what's happening.

I stopped most of the rattling by layering electrical tape just on the far side of the glass (where it slides in). The translite glass rattles pretty hard during the Sparky startup, but it's a cool effect.

#4860 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

And if you didn't use LockTite when installing the shaker, you'll need to tighten its mounting screws every few months.

I don't use locktite, as it seems most parts/components on machines will eventually be removed/replaced. I do tighten the mounting screws as needed (probably have done it 3 times at this point). I recall my tron didn't shake like this, but then again I probably didn't have as many gameplays.

thanks for the suggestions.

#4861 8 years ago

I am kind of curious about how the thin steel backbox works with the shaker. My MET has the original wood backbox, so maybe that's the difference in what we're experiencing.

#4862 8 years ago

Thinking about using locktite on the screw under the snakes upper pallet.
That damn thing keeps falling out and is a bitch to get back in place with the spacer and snake fangs.

#4863 8 years ago

i wish stern didn't use locktite in the factory. i know of a xmen wolverine magnet core that is impossible to remove unless i were to heat it up. not my machine, and i don't get paid to repair it so.....

#4864 8 years ago

A easy fix for the shaker is to install the small little rubbers underneath the shaker then put the screws through the hole mounts and rubber, problem solved.

#4865 8 years ago

Put some dead foam tape or felt strips at the top and bottom of the bsckglass. That will stop it from rattling. Don't need a full strip. Just a couple inches in the middle and both sides.

#4866 8 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

A easy fix for the shaker is to install the small little rubbers underneath the shaker then put the screws through the hole mounts and rubber, problem solved.

I did that (on another pin) and it made things worse. YMMV.

#4867 8 years ago

has always fixed the problem on my end.

#4868 8 years ago

Seems logical, just didn't work for me.

#4869 8 years ago

Tape is not a bad idea to hold the snake fangs screw in place as well.

#4870 8 years ago

I've never had an issue with glass rattling in any game, but can confirm that it may be necessary to re-tighten the shaker to the cabinet every once in a while, if not it will sound like things are breaking. In fact I've had a Williams shaker shake itself to pieces, was a puzzle to get back together... It happens.

My latest is that every so often when the ball is ejected from the snake's mouth it will catch the fangs and a lot of times that results in a drain STDM. Anyone else have this?

#4871 8 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Shopped out my MET today with Titan rings, got everything cleaned & waxed. Looks like a brand new pin again!
Titan MET.jpg

Hey, another one who took the spot lights off the slingshot plastic! Iam glad I temoved this and the sneezeguard on the right. Much cleaner look for the Home environment. Is there full Metallica rubber kits available at Titan?

#4872 8 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Hey, another one who took the spot lights off the slingshot plastic! Iam glad I temoved this and the sneezeguard on the right. Much cleaner look for the Home environment. Is there full Metallica rubber kits available at Titan?

You are absolutely right. I took off the sneeze guard and the spot lights and it looks so much better!

#4873 8 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

That is common on the snake and the mystery scoop for met. The switch isnt giving the game a clean signal that the ball is in the scoop. So ball finder kicks it out.
Sounds like you need to adjust the arm of the switch on the mystery scoop. Just bend it slightly up toward the center of where the ball would be when its in the scoop. Small adjustments.
Hopefully that will get the switch to give a constant signal that the ball is there and the game will recognize it and kick it out.
I had the same thing on my snake scoop.
Good luck

Follow up, the switch seems to be working fine & kicks the ball out immediately. It also works in switch test. However,a lot of the time Mystery is lit & it goes in there it just kicks it out & doesn't do anything. Also when I got to mini wizard mode, the mode started, but it had to take it to a ball search to kick out the ball. I know a few times when I did hit both flippers to cut short the animations, it seemed to confuse it to where it would also have to go to ball search. Other times when I let the animations go it acted fine. I was thinking software, but I checked & I'm running the latest code. Maybe I'm just used to the Pro?

#4874 8 years ago

Sounds like you still don't have the switch set right. Mine would kick the ball out but still not give credit for the mystery shot, extra ball, CIU, etc. Bend the switch so it is in contact with the ball longer and it should work right.

#4875 8 years ago

What tigerpin says is correct, had the exact same issue on a TRON

#4876 8 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Yes I definitely like the cleaner look without the spotlights. Wish I could remove the sneeze guard but my balls were just flying off the wireform without it.

I didn't really find a kit that I liked, so just went by the manual plus ordered a couple of extras. I replaced the 7/16 o.d. near the left ramp with the smaller 3/8 to make that shot a bit easier. I can pm you with the list I bought if you want it.

#4877 8 years ago

Noticed some flakey snake switch behavior tonight... some balls not registering when inside the snake mouth on my pro. Wondering if this is a matter of a switch adjustment, or because I am missing the diode? Mine has none, and I've never seen a microswitch without a diode. Can one of you please take a quick look and verify? Thanks.

snake.jpgsnake.jpg

#4878 8 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Noticed some flakey snake switch behavior tonight... some balls not registering when inside the snake mouth on my pro. Wondering if this is a matter of a switch adjustment, or because I am missing the diode? Mine has none, and I've never seen a microswitch without a diode. Can one of you please take a quick look and verify? Thanks.

snake.jpg

I didnt take the time to look inside my machine, but did a quick check of the online manual and it looks like Snake eject switch is #54 and is marked as DOTS which means diode on terminal strip. So the diode is mounted separately under the playfield for that switch.

Hope that helps.

Rick

#4879 8 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

snake.jpg

Switch! I had the same probleme

#4880 8 years ago

Me and fellow Pinsider pinballnut 3 installed my Met Color DMD today, thanks pinballnut. Man-o-man it looks great. Money WELL spent.

#4881 8 years ago

So jealous! Congrats i hope to have one installed soon.

#4882 8 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

So jealous! Congrats i hope to have one installed soon.

Thanks, I think I get into the game now....but it sure is tough to play a good game cuz your constantly looking up watching the color display. When you get yours have a friend over to "help" after you install it have him play some games while you watch the cool dmd. That's what I did.

#4883 8 years ago

Just finished a session on my METLE, and I was thinking, yet again, how much cooler the animation is in color. I couldn't go back now!

I'd trade or sell my ACDC Premium for the right deal. My Metallica is going nowhere!

If you're in Socal and you want to stop by and see the beta of my Metallica mod it's installed and working on my game. Just give me a holler. Once Alien isn't keeping my free time so packed I'll work on finishing it.

#4884 8 years ago

I love Metallica. And it's weird. This is my post on the Aussie forums yesterday..

I have played more Metallica than anyone. I guarantee it. I have gone glass-off through every mode dozens and dozens of times. Building the light mod I have had to explore every tiny piece of behaviour of that damn machine and code. During real play testing I had rubber bands on the outlanes, max ball save and games set to ten-ball. I sold my LE and thought that once the light mod was complete I would take my pro and sell it to the first vagrant I saw at Bondi Junction (Sydney suburb) for 10 bucks.
Thing is.. I STILL LOVE IT! I don't know why but I can still walk up to it and have a blast playing it, (The new lightshow helps of course ) even though it should be dead to me by now. Who knows how sometimes they just capture lightning in a bottle, but with Met something is very, very good about it.

#4885 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Just finished a session on my METLE, and I was thinking, yet again, how much cooler the animation is in color. I couldn't go back now!
I'd trade or sell my ACDC Premium for the right deal. My Metallica is going nowhere!
If you're in Socal and you want to stop
by and see the beta of my Metallica mod it's installed and working on my game. Just give me a holler. Once Alien isn't keeping my free time so packed I'll work on finishing it.

Can you tell us all about your new mod? As with anything you touch pinball wise, it seems to turn into a bad ass edition! I cant wait to see all you did on Aliens.

#4886 8 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

Can you tell us all about your new mod? As with anything you touch pinball wise, it seems to turn into a bad ass edition! I cant wait to see all you did on Aliens.

SERIOUSLY! I get punished enough for living in Jersey....now this?!

#4887 8 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

Ha, thanks. Come on down from Napa!

This one is an experiment, has interactive lighting and electronics this time around. I have a friend helping me with the electronics, we need to design a PCB and I need to finish drawing the art. When I have some time off from Alien I'll work on it and maybe I can reveal it then.

#4888 8 years ago

you're such a tease! much like the girl who says she's dirty but will only let you touch her over the bra

#4889 8 years ago

Hi!

Will i need Mylar protectors for the 3 magnets at my coeming MET PREM?

if yes could someone offer pre-cut ones ?

thanks
tom

#4890 8 years ago

tom,
marco's offers pre-cut mylar protectors for the magnets (but they're a bit more expensive than stuff you could cut yourself). here's a link:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/803-5000-MG

yeah, they say they are for iron man, but work will all games with magnetics

#4891 8 years ago

hi

for europeans its not possible to order at marco ( extremely high transport costs)

i hope someone has cutted it digital and could send me some in a letter for small money

#4892 8 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

you're such a tease! much like the girl who says she's dirty but will only let you touch her over the bra

Look, beg all you want, I'm not going to tug on it. You'll just have to wait!

#4893 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you're in Socal and you want to stop by and see the beta of my Metallica mod it's installed and working on my game. Just give me a holler. Once Alien isn't keeping my free time so packed I'll work on finishing it.

I'll be picking up a pin early tomorrow morning in SoCal . It's going to be an early drive down (leaving 2 am) if everything is cool with it load up & head back. I wish I had time to stop by & see what you're working on.

#4894 8 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

I'll be picking up a pin early tomorrow morning in SoCal . It's going to be an early drive down (leaving 2 am) if everything is cool with it load up & head back. I wish I had time to stop by & see what you're working on.

Ew, that is an early drive down! I'll be sleeping I hope, I'm freaking tired. Feel like I'm working two jobs and doing the parenting/coaching thing, and I'm chronically behind on my sleep.

Still, if you end up down this way at a reasonable hour shoot me a PM, I'm really good about being on top of my email usually.

#4895 8 years ago

So upgraded my Met pro with leds so it matches the LED pro. I used the cointaker double leds (mostly wedge) like used by default by Stern.

I know most flashers used in the game are the #89 'flat 8'.
But I was wondering if that's also the type used behind the backboard.
The pro has 3 on the left and 3 on the right. Can someone confirm? or is the "#89 super 5" used there?

#4896 8 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

The pro has 3 on the left and 3 on the right. Can someone confirm? or is the "#89 super 5" used there?

My LE had 3 on the right and 3 on the left before I took them out for a project, I'm sure it's the same.

#4897 8 years ago
Quoted from tigerpin:

Sounds like you still don't have the switch set right. Mine would kick the ball out but still not give credit for the mystery shot, extra ball, CIU, etc. Bend the switch so it is in contact with the ball longer and it should work right.

Switch adjusted, working properly now. Thanks!

#4898 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

My LE had 3 on the right and 3 on the left before I took them out for a project, I'm sure it's the same.

Oooohhhhh!!!

Quoted from Butch2099:

Switch adjusted, working properly now. Thanks!

Cool I can't stop playing mine!

#4900 8 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

So upgraded my Met pro with leds so it matches the LED pro. I used the cointaker double leds (mostly wedge) like used by default by Stern.
I know most flashers used in the game are the #89 'flat 8'.
But I was wondering if that's also the type used behind the backboard.

I think they are the #89 flat 8. I took them out and dropped in Comet's #89 8-SMD flexible flashers (purple). These work great because you can aim the LEDs right back at you and they make the plastic art really pop.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 98 of 433.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/98 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.