Topic Stats

• 16,879 posts
  • 948 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 39 minutes ago by VALIS666
  • Topic is favorited by 359 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,855 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Plunger Plate & Shooter Knob Mod - Marshall (resized).jpg
Plunger Plate & Shooter Knob Model - Marshall (resized).jpg
shiny (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
E6242E9A-2132-4071-AE15-1264B836090B (resized).jpeg
DF782AB3-DEA5-4AC1-90E4-0E6B15419BF9 (resized).jpeg
FB_IMG_1570754293555 (resized).jpg
Image from iOS (7) (resized).jpg
20191005_171001 (resized).jpg
IMG_2894 (resized).jpg
2 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190926_234519 (resized).jpg
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190916203030373 (resized).jpg
buzzkill (resized).jpg
MVIMG_20190920_182141 (resized).jpg
15684089715109170470619334034077 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 16879 posts in this topic. You are on page 83 of 338.
#4101 4 years ago

Yep. Its subtle, but the artwork on the top of the pops matches the artwork around those three inserts to visually tie them together.

A number of hits to the bottom pop will eventually light the middle insert.
Left pop --> Left insert
Right pop --> Right insert

#4102 4 years ago

I just had my best game of Metallica ever! I scored a whole 98 million. lol

I just need to learn how to actually score during multiballs. I had stacked multiballs, and I even got coffin multiball for the first time. That was a lot of fun. Yes, I know I suck at playing. lol

#4103 4 years ago

Most important thing is you had fun! Dont worry about if you play well, i sure dont. But its the fun factor thats important!

#4104 4 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Most important thing is you had fun! Dont worry about if you play well, i sure dont. But its the fun factor thats important!

I just need to figure out why I can hit the shots almost at will when I don't need to, but when points are at stake, I brick the shots every time. lol

#4105 4 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

I just need to figure out why I can hit the shots almost at will when I don't need to, but when points are at stake, I brick the shots every time. lol

I do the same!

#4106 4 years ago

MET 1.64 is now available for SmartDMD. The color file is FREE for all licensed SmartDMD users, just drop me an email and it's your

I still have some more work to do, but I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel

At this point we're using over 100 color palettes with more than 400 unique colors.

Grave Marker MB.png
Coffin.png
Fuel.png
Extra Ball.png
Seek & Destroy 1.png
Battery.png
Enter Sandman.png
Ball Drain.png

#4107 4 years ago

Is this a new premium model? The artwork color looks different.

FB_IMG_1437100877725.jpg

#4108 4 years ago

I started playing around with the 1.64v code on Pinball Browser. I know I saw a list of each song request for the newest code, but I've been searching and can't find it for life of me Anyone remember where this was posted? Thanks

#4109 4 years ago

Forget it.....I found it

Quoted from Hougie:

Edit: It looks to be the same.
Battery 476
Blackened 591
CD 702
ES 773
FTB 846
FWTBT 900
Fuel 939
MoP 998
One 1066
RTL 1199
SBT 1281
SnD 1351
TEOTL 1429
Unforgiven 1494

#4110 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

MET 1.64 is now available for SmartDMD. The color file is FREE for all licensed SmartDMD users, just drop me an email and it's your
I still have some more work to do, but I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel
At this point we're using over 100 color palettes with more than 400 unique colors.
Grave Marker MB.png
Coffin.png
Fuel.png
Extra Ball.png
Seek & Destroy 1.png
Battery.png
Enter Sandman.png
Ball Drain.png

Those look great. Now if I could just afford it.

#4111 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Those look great. Now if I could just afford it.

Thanks for the kind words.

More pics can be found here:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pinball-Mike-D/833126766772059

FYI - You can build your own SDMD for around $200. When I get some free time I'll post a "how to" Youtube video. It's pretty easy and doesn't cost much compared to most MODs.

#4112 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Is this a new premium model? The artwork color looks different.

That looks to be Donny's personal machine. It's custom.

#4113 4 years ago
Quoted from ViolinSteve:

I think that you may be correct. I remember reading an article mentioning that he owned a TZ as well

#4114 4 years ago

Got the ColorDMD installed in my MET pro last night. Deal for a MOPLE fell through, but I'm not too bummed after speaking with a knowledgeable tournament player. He said that sparky wasn't a possible shot from the right flipper on the LE/Premium because of the extra hardware/space the hammer takes up? That's a giant difference and bummer if so.

The dots on MET look amazing in color. The plasma DMDs Stern is using now suck really badly. The dots look so much better on a traditional display (much less in color)! I think Metallica is behind only LOTR and X-Men as far as dot work is concerned on Stern pins. Looks amazing.

image.jpg

#4115 4 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Got the ColorDMD installed in my MET pro last night. Deal for a MOPLE fell through, but I'm not too bummed after speaking with a knowledgeable tournament player. He said that sparky wasn't a possible shot from the right flipper on the LE/Premium because of the extra hardware/space the hammer takes up? That's a giant difference and bummer if so.
The dots on MET look amazing in color. The plasma DMDs Stern is using now suck really badly. The dots look so much better on a traditional display (much less in color)! I think Metallica is behind only LOTR and X-Men as far as dot work is concerned on Stern pins. Looks amazing.
image.jpg

He was wrong. Even I can hit it from the right flipper, and I suck.

#4116 4 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

I would say it is an easier shot from the left flipper versus the right, but the Sparky shot is absolutely possible from the right flipper on the LE.

Most players post transfer the ball right to left and then hit Sparky since that method is pretty reliable on any Metallica.

In any case, the pro is a fine game and very fun.

#4117 4 years ago

I agree that the block just makes the shot a small bit harder. It's already harder from the right than the left on the Pro.

Recommended mod for MET Premium/LE:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3414

#4118 4 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

I'm not too bummed after speaking with a knowledgeable tournament player. He said that sparky wasn't a possible shot from the right flipper on the LE/Premium because of the extra hardware/space the hammer takes up? That's a giant difference and bummer if so.

Woah, not really all that knowledgeable, utterly false. Even with the stock block.

That said, on my METLE I swapped out the block for the same captive ball the Pro has. I do prefer it. Easy upgrade from Pinball Life, and now there's literally zero difference in the Sparky shot between the Pro and LE.

#4119 4 years ago

Anyone ever have issues with the Mystery hole not kicking out reliably? It's most problematic when getting into one of the crank it up modes, about 25 seconds get drained off the clock then the game does a ball search and half the time kicks it into the drain.

#4120 4 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Anyone ever have issues with the Mystery hole not kicking out reliably? It's most problematic when getting into one of the crank it up modes, about 25 seconds get drained off the clock then the game does a ball search and half the time kicks it into the drain.

Sounds like the switch is not being triggered consistently. Try bending the arm on the switch a little.

#4121 4 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Sounds like the switch is not being triggered consistently. Try bending the arm on the switch a little.

+1

Bend the switch arm up a hair towards the center of where the ball will be when in the scoop.

#4122 4 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Quoted from Rickwh:

+1
Bend the switch arm up a hair towards the center of where the ball will be when in the scoop.

Yep - that's the fix. Mine was doing the same thing (sporadic lack of activation) - quick adjustment and it's been fine since.

#4123 4 years ago

Classic scoop issue. Was giving the TronLE a workout last night and had 2x going and SOS lit. This issue had been on and off for a week or so now. Three fking hits to the scoop before it registered. Aaarrgghhhh. Got the sos but missed the 2x. Do you think I fixed it straight away THIS time??

#4124 4 years ago

Quick question. I thought with the release of Met Pro LED edition, there was supposed to be an adjustment in the software to tell the game if it was using LED or incandescents. I've been all though and can't find one. Didn't they do that with IMVE. The fade effects that work for incadescents, flicker on LEDs and I thought the game eliminated the fades if LEDs are installed. Thanks for any info.

#4125 4 years ago

that scoop issue was reported on lots of pins... easy fix

#4126 4 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

So far I've made it one single time in ~ 2 years and 2-3 extra balls, so I'm not sure my strategy is 'worth' it there

I've made it 0 times in about a year of ownership, also with 2-3 extra balls, so I think your strategy i just fie. Let me ask you this, after you complete the 4th CIU does EOL light immediately or do you have to qualify it with more CIU items?

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Me likey the loop pass! I used to mainly go for Super Skill, loop pass to piston lane to light 2x. BUT, I now mostly go for Super Super Skill loop pass if the lit shot is on the left, live catch or on the fly if the shot is on the right. It so important to complete hurry-ups to help build towards CIU. I feel like I'm always only a few shots away from 2x when I need it.(5 max).

I need to work on the loop pass I guess, I've never been comfortable with them. I usually go for a live catch every time and if the lit shot is the left orbit or left ramp I just shoot Sparky.

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Those inserts actually have nothing to do with 2x scoring. The triangle with the guitar/spider is your 2x indicator. The other 3 are lit via pop bumper hits. Then hit the fuel lane for a "blown piston", something almost meaningless in the grand scheme. I think 10 blown pistons lights another extra ball.

I wish they would have tweaked that number down to 5, or maybe even 8 (to go with a V8 engine). I don't think I've ever been anywhere near getting 10 blown pistons and they don't seem to be worth a ton of points along the way. Right now when people ask I basically tell them not to bother paying attention to those 3 lights.

Quoted from ViolinSteve:

That would have been a nice art package for the monsters premium, it looks great.

#4127 4 years ago
Quoted from EricR:

That would have been a nice art package for the monsters premium, it looks great.

it's the same art package with the exception of the lime green being substituted out for deeper red. both look nice, but the darker red is nice

#4128 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

it's the same art package with the exception of the lime green being substituted out for deeper red. both look nice, but the darker red is nice

I don't remember seeing the skull in the side art before, was that on the monsters premium? I'm admittedly going by memory of pro cabinets, which I thought were the same.

#4129 4 years ago
Quoted from EricR:

Right now when people ask I basically tell them not to bother paying attention to those 3 lights.

I sure as hell don't pay attention to them!

#4130 4 years ago
Quoted from EricR:

I've made it 0 times in about a year of ownership, also with 2-3 extra balls, so I think your strategy i just fie. Let me ask you this, after you complete the 4th CIU does EOL light immediately or do you have to qualify it with more CIU items?

You must qualify it as a 5th CIU mode, and the only spoiler I'll give about EoL is it is TIMED unlike the other CIU modes. I didn't know this and basically wasted my chance in it, so keep it in mind when you get there. Don't sit and try to figure it out, you will run out of time.

#4131 4 years ago

You must qualify it as a 5th CIU mode, and the only spoiler I'll give about EoL is it is TIMED unlike the other CIU modes. I didn't know this and basically wasted my chance in it, so keep it in mind when you get there. Don't sit and try to figure it out, you will run out of time.

Thanks for the tip, hopefully at some point I'll have a chance to use it. I have to admit its a little demoralizing to think about qualifying a 5th CIU when I've yet to start a 4th. Having to go through that extra step seems just mean lol.

#4132 4 years ago
Quoted from treborlicec:

Quick question. I thought with the release of Met Pro LED edition, there was supposed to be an adjustment in the software to tell the game if it was using LED or incandescents. I've been all though and can't find one. Didn't they do that with IMVE. The fade effects that work for incadescents, flicker on LEDs and I thought the game eliminated the fades if LEDs are installed. Thanks for any info.

I'd be interested in this answer to an extent. I was planning to put incandescent bulbs in the FUEL inserts and perhaps the fuel gauge when my Pro LED gets here. For one I'd prefer to see something that looks more like what I'd associate with a car in those sections, but I also noticed a fade effect with incandescent bulbs in the FUEL inserts on an original Pro. Wasn't sure if they'd fade or work at all if I swapped in incandescent bulbs, but figured it's free to try.

#4133 4 years ago

Well, after about 1000 games I finally blew it up! My previous best was about 375M. This game included 2 CIU's. Best was scoring 254M on FWTBT alone! Multiple Sparky's, multiple Graveyards, got Coffin MB stacked with Snake, got Seek&Destroy. Even made Blackened although I do have the adjustment of 1st Band member at one set of picks. That is the only adjustment that isn't factory. I will most likely never beat this score!

20150718_222852.jpg

#4134 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I will most likely never beat this score!

20150718_222852.jpg

I will never come close to that score, with the glass on anyway

congrats.

#4135 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

My previous best was about 375M

The only time I've ever cracked 300M was the game where I "cheated" and did a coin door ball save during CIU because I was pissed at a stupid drain.

I think my highest "non cheating" score was around 270M. I've got work to do!!

#4136 4 years ago

Thanks guys. This was right after 3 or 4 games of not even breaking 20M!

#4137 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Even made Blackened although I do have the adjustment of 1st Band member at one set of picks. That is the only adjustment that isn't factory.

That setting should be the default, it defies logic that its not. I think as a community we should all adopt it as the standard setting.

#4138 4 years ago
Quoted from EricR:

Thanks for the tip, hopefully at some point I'll have a chance to use it. I have to admit its a little demoralizing to think about qualifying a 5th CIU when I've yet to start a 4th. Having to go through that extra step seems just mean lol.

I've been thru 4 CIUs a couple times and it is brutal to drain out lighting the 5th/EoL.

The best strategy (imo) for extending a game towards EoL on typical home settings (ie - EB's are on) is explicit focus on coffin MB. Any time you start another MB, bash the coffin as fast and as often as possible to get the locks lit, progress to the first EB (~15 coffin hits), eventually progress to the second EB (100 coffin hits), and progress the coffin CIU requirement. The game I made it to EoL I think I had like 150+ coffin hits by the end of it and had played 4 coffin MB's

Coffin MB also has the advantage of being able to be extended both by the snake add-a-ball, and stacking another MB, so you get tons of ball save time, and a very long opportunity to light CIU without fear of ball loss. With decent play, almost every coffin MB should end with CIU lit, especially if you bring another MB into the stack. Once CIU is lit you must get in and out of it ASAP and get back into the nearest MB you have. Try to use the CIU ball save time to light the 4 'exit' qualifiers and get the hell out of the mode while the safety net is still there. #1 rule is do NOT start another MB if CIU is lit - you want it available immediately after exiting CIU.

The biggest wildcard is Seek and Destroy. If you start Seek and Destroy after the 3rd or 4th CIU and it expires, you have a hell of a climb to get CIU lit again. Its a tough mode to try and control the start of so I usually just let it happen when it wants to and hope for the best.

#4139 4 years ago

Once CIU is lit you must get in and out of it ASAP and get back into the nearest MB you have. Try to use the CIU ball save time to light the 4 'exit' qualifiers and get the hell out of the mode while the safety net is still there. #1 rule is do NOT start another MB if CIU is lit - you want it available immediately after exiting CIU.

People, take note of these two points if you have a goal of EOL. This right here is why I feel more people have not seen EOL. I've been twice now and both times I was using this strategy. You NEVER want to start a MB when CIU is lit or is really close to lit (3 of the 4 inserts already lit) as you MB's should be used to qualify the next CIU (don't focus on Super Jackpots either). You also want to get in and out of CIU fast. Goal should be, as said above, to get out before the ball save is over. Just think of all the times you've drained in CIU. Met is the same as AC/DC in this aspect. If you want to see the wizard mode you have to make decisions that hinder high scoring. It's unfortunate that it's like that but it's the truth.

#4140 4 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

People, take note of these two points if you have a goal of EOL. This right here is why I feel more people have not seen EOL. I've been twice now and both times I was using this strategy. You NEVER want to start a MB when CIU is lit or is really close to lit (3 of the 4 inserts already lit) as you MB's should be used to qualify the next CIU (don't focus on Super Jackpots either). You also want to get in and out of CIU fast. Goal should be, as said above, to get out before the ball save is over. Just think of all the times you've drained in CIU. Met is the same as AC/DC in this aspect. If you want to see the wizard mode you have to make decisions that hinder high scoring. It's unfortunate that it's like that but it's the truth.

Good point. Will have to try this out when not in a tournament.

#4141 4 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Good point. Will have to try this out when not in a tournament.

I thought that was a strategy for reaching EOL in a home setting, not a strategy for high scoring. You also won't have the benefit of the extra balls.

#4142 4 years ago

In a tournament EoL shouldn't even be on your radar. Depending on the difficulty of the machine, even a single CIU is arguably not a good strategy at all when you have so much safe multiball action available.

#4143 4 years ago

Evidently CIU was set up easier at CAX this past weekend. On factory, the CIU requirement can get rather tedious as can the Blackened requirement.

#4144 4 years ago

That one time I got to end of the line...

20150525_224419_1.jpg

#4145 4 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I thought that was a strategy for reaching EOL in a home setting, not a strategy for high scoring. You also won't have the benefit of the extra balls.

Yes. That is exactly what I said.

#4146 4 years ago
Quoted from EricR:

That setting should be the default, it defies logic that its not. I think as a community we should all adopt it as the standard setting.

I feel like a chump for setting games easier or with more balls than default, but maybe I'll give this a shot... I am kind of in a rut where in a normal game I just see Sparky & Snake multi-ball and maybe 2 Crank It Ups if its a good game. Still love playing the game, but I think there's quite a bit I haven't seen.

#4147 4 years ago

hey gang.

just got my nib metallica saturday. plan on placing and order for cliffys. is there any thing else i need?

#4148 4 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

hey gang.
just got my nib Metallica saturday. plan on placing and order for cliffys. is there any thing else i need?

Congrats.....how much money you got.

#4149 4 years ago

just made the purchase so not a lot but i can plan and save

#4150 4 years ago

Well if you bought EVERYTHING that's out there for the game in my opinion you'd probably spend another 4k +. There's a crap ton of stuff out there for it. What adds to the look of the game the most for the least amount of money are mirror blades I think.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 16879 posts in this topic. You are on page 83 of 338.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside