IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0271 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 433.
#4051 8 years ago

Yes of course. And yes that's why it's so good.

#4052 8 years ago

Oh, yeah. Cashed in. What if I risked it for 2x scoring though!?

image.jpgimage.jpg

#4053 8 years ago

A better question is when are you replacing those red dots with a ColorDMD?

#4054 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Good new for Metallica SmartDMD users - new code will be released later this week
Here's a look at the new Sparky MB Into:
Sparky Multiball.png

So how much is your complete kit for this one?

#4055 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

A better question is when are you replacing those red dots with a ColorDMD?

I know. I know. I will eventually but she sits between Roadshow and LOTR so I'd wind up doing all three! $$$

#4056 8 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

At home in a cozy world with 2-1/2 minutes left and the piston lane lit for 2x- absolutely go for the double up, unless your scoop kickout is wildly uncontrollable. If it is a nice feed, catch the ball on left flipper, transfer to right, hit piston lane, feed to left flipper back to scoop. Big Money.

In a tourney, I would probably cash it in as it looked on the DMD without hesitation as it sits. 180MIL total including a single 89 MIL for a CIU mode is huge in a tourney, and electing to continue to go for doubling the 89MIL jackpot would be just amazing nerves-maybe just borderline nuts. (If you blow it, everyone is going I can't believe he passed on 89 MIL)

#4057 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

At home in a cozy world with 2-1/2 minutes left and the piston lane lit for 2x- absolutely go for the double up, unless your scoop kickout is wildly uncontrollable. If it is a nice feed, catch the ball on left flipper, transfer to right, hit piston lane, feed to left flipper back to scoop. Big Money.

Totally agree. But ... I wish I could just hit the piston lane on command like that.

#4058 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Totally agree. But ... I wish I could just hit the piston lane on command like that.

Or the scoop!!!

#4059 8 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Or the scoop!!!

I can hit the scoop just fine. (Unless CIU is lit. )

#4060 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm good at the piston lane. Scoop kills me though. Half the time it's a bounce in from the left sling (which is what this did), so I cashed.

I tried a few times hitting the piston target then scoop, but just couldn't get the scoop clean.

In other news, whenever AJFA starts, that's nearly always a guaranteed drain for me. 100K total. Kiss of death!

#4061 8 years ago

I don't get a lot of time on Metallica, but I was playing tonight and noticed that on the bonus countdown of how many times you hit each item there does not seem to be a sound for the second one, "Sparky switch hits." Or can I just not hear it?
Maybe all 4 items are not supposed to have their own sound and I am just imagining it all. lol
So I guess my question is, does each of the four bonus items have its own separate sound during the bonus countdown?

#4062 8 years ago

In other news, whenever AJFA starts, that's nearly always a guaranteed drain for me. 100K total. Kiss of death!

I hear you brother! Same here. Even if I ignore it and try to block the mode running out of my mind...

Rick

#4063 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

unless extra ball is lit. Nothing like blowing all 3 balls with it lit... 0.o

#4064 8 years ago

image.jpg

My rule of thumb if I don't intentionally shoot the lit scoop and just roll in:

Collect CIU jackpot and exit if:
- the mode is complete
or
- the jackpot is over 50 mil
or
- 2x is running and jackpot is 25 mil+
or
- Seek and Destroy is running (exit asap usually)

else Stay in!

The exceptions I will make is if I'm close to setting a new high score in any given mode (ie - stay in as long as possible), or if I'm going to try for EoL (exit asap). I actually commonly try for EoL and exit CIU as soon as possible to relight it as fast as possible before SnD comes around. So far I've made it one single time in ~ 2 years and 2-3 extra balls, so I'm not sure my strategy is 'worth' it there

If I'm playing competitively all those rules go out the door and I make decisions based on opponents play.

#4065 8 years ago

Would say 90% accurate for me at least.

#4066 8 years ago

This happened to me the other night. On 3rd ball, shot left ramp which started both SnD and Lady Justice at the same time. Hit a pick target and immediately drained. Scored 100k for Seek and Destroy and 100k for Lady Justice! Top that!

#4067 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I certainly can't do it every single time, but casual games at home allow for practice, and I feel the piston shot is critical for big scoring opportunities so I practice that shot.

Some games I play on Metallica consist of practicing setting up this: super skill shot to piston lane, and then right ramp-piston combos as much as I can. Hitting the super skill shot sets up the double scoring at the piston right away. As soon as I am out of the sequence, I work on setting it up again, but of course the fuel targets need to be hit first for 2x chances.

My other favorite way to play Metallica is "drain by electrocution" meaning start Sparky multiball and the game is over . It forces me to try other things.

It's all fun.

#4068 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

This happened to me the other night. On 3rd ball, shot left ramp which started both SnD and Lady Justice at the same time. Hit a pick target and immediately drained. Scored 100k for Seek and Destroy and 100k for Lady Justice! Top that!

Oh man, the "can you score lower than this" its own thread. I have walked away from some multiballs with scores that rival the game's "gimme" skill shots. And all I can do is shake my head, laugh and try again and be thankful the overhead cameras weren't on

#4069 8 years ago

I feel the piston shot is critical for big scoring opportunities so I practice that shot.

When I fell like "practicing" I just shoot for the scoop and the piston - regardless of score or game situation. I should really "practice" more often.

#4070 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Haha good times! *bangs glass*

#4071 8 years ago

I certainly can't do it every single time, but casual games at home allow for practice, and I feel the piston shot is critical for big scoring opportunities so I practice that shot.
Some games I play on Metallica consist of practicing setting up this: super skill shot to piston lane, and then right ramp-piston combos as much as I can. Hitting the super skill shot sets up the double scoring at the piston right away. As soon as I am out of the sequence, I work on setting it up again, but of course the fuel targets need to be hit first for 2x chances.
My other favorite way to play Metallica is "drain by electrocution" meaning start Sparky multiball and the game is over . It forces me to try other things.
It's all fun.

How do you set up your Super Skill shot to the piston lane? Soft plunge and catch on the right flipper?

#4072 8 years ago

Hold left flipper, shoot ball to left flipper and let it bounce to right flipper. Thats how I do it.

#4073 8 years ago

Managed to win this signed flyer at TPF '15 (raffle). Signed by Borg and Dirty Donny. Have thought it would be neat to hang above (on a wall behind) a Metallica machine as sort of a topper. Just pulled the trigger today on a NIB Pro LED w/ shaker, so hopefully I'll be able to do just that soon enough

SparkDD.jpgSparkDD.jpg

#4074 8 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Hold left flipper, shoot ball to left flipper and let it bounce to right flipper. Thats how I do it.

I had been practicing that, but it usually bounces up to the slings instead of the right flipper. I've been trying different ways to soften the bounce to the right flipper. I thought maybe a soft plunge might be better.

#4075 8 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I had been practicing that, but it usually bounces up to the slings instead of the right flipper. I've been trying different ways to soften the bounce to the right flipper. I thought maybe a soft plunge might be better.

To transfer the ball from L-R off the super skill shot, use a loop pass technique. Keith Elwin's excellent video Pinball 101 shows this executed on AFM. Watch that and practice it to get a feel for the timing. The same concept can be applied to Metallica.

If you soft plunge while holding the left flipper in for the super skill shot, then when the ball is coming to the right flipper, you have to either hit the ball on the fly to the piston lane, or execute a live catch and then shoot it to the piston lane.

#4076 8 years ago

To transfer the ball from L-R off the super skill shot, use a loop pass technique. Keith Elwin's excellent video Pinball 101 shows this executed on AFM. Watch that and practice it to get a feel for the timing. The same concept can be applied to Metallica.
If you soft plunge while holding the left flipper in for the super skill shot, then when the ball is coming to the right flipper, you have to either hit the ball on the fly to the piston lane, or execute a live catch and then shoot it to the piston lane.

That's mostly what I've been trying (loop pass technique), but I haven't honed the timing of it yet as the ball is nearing the engaged left flipper. 33% of the time I get it right, 33% I release too late and the ball bounces too high, and 34% of the time I release too soon and it doesn't bounce far enough and drains. I just need to practice it more.

#4077 8 years ago

Me likey the loop pass! I used to mainly go for Super Skill, loop pass to piston lane to light 2x. BUT, I now mostly go for Super Super Skill loop pass if the lit shot is on the left, live catch or on the fly if the shot is on the right. It so important to complete hurry-ups to help build towards CIU. I feel like I'm always only a few shots away from 2x when I need it.(5 max).

#4078 8 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

I thought that a properly set-up machine was supposed to bounce into the crank it up scoop when doing this. Glad to see I'm not the only one that doesn't happen with as I've tried everything to get it to do so.

#4079 8 years ago

Here is one to try out. I call it the Scoop Pass. I can execute this probably around 50-60% of attempts. In multiball you have 2 balls trapped on the right flipper. Give a short quick flip and the upper ball goes into the scoop and the lower ball stays on the right flipper. Then when the ball ejects out of the scoop do a drop catch with the left flipper and bam! The fanciest cradle separation you've ever seen.

I know, I know. You could just do a normal cradle sep, but this is way more fun!

#4080 8 years ago

I finally got around to installing my ride the lightning rails along with me sparky shooter rodDSCF3352.JPGDSCF3352.JPGDSCF3353.JPGDSCF3353.JPG

#4081 8 years ago
Quoted from twista22:

along with me sparky shooter rod

+1 for pirate language! Arrrr!

#4082 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Here is one to try out. I call it the Scoop Pass. I can execute this probably around 50-60% of attempts. In multiball you have 2 balls trapped on the right flipper. Give a short quick flip and the upper ball goes into the scoop and the lower ball stays on the right flipper. Then when the ball ejects out of the scoop do a drop catch with the left flipper and bam! The fanciest cradle separation you've ever seen.
I know, I know. You could just do a normal cradle sep, but this is way more fun!

Ha! Nice name.

I like that backhand technique with cradled balls on games that have scoops or saucers near the flippers-particularly when they are lit for good awards-extra ball, add a ball, etc. Metallica is one of the few games that has a scoop low to the flippers that sends the ball across to the other side.

#4083 8 years ago

Speaking of pirates, do you know why pirates only put two hundred and thirty nine beans in their soup? Because one more would be two farty. Sorry about that, back to the topic...

#4084 8 years ago

I got the micro dmd installed today, it looks great, thank you sparky for a great mod, if anyone needs any help with the video file just send me a pm

#4085 8 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

I got the micro dmd installed today, it looks great, thank you sparky for a great mod, if anyone needs any help with the video file just send me a pm

Glad you like it! If your collection page is current, I have one for TFTC, as well

#4086 8 years ago

Is there a good rules summary for Metallica premium posted anywhere?

#4088 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I thought that a properly set-up machine was supposed to bounce into the crank it up scoop when doing this. Glad to see I'm not the only one that doesn't happen with as I've tried everything to get it to do so.

I got the plunge all the way around to bounce off the flippers and into the scoop today a couple times. Doesnt happen every time, and it usually has to be a solid plunge that stays glued to the ball guide the whole way around the back of sparky.

Thanks everyone for the strategy comments in the last day or so. Worked on my right ramp, piston target combo some today. Feels good when you get it.

#4089 8 years ago

So dumb question. Does hitting the piston target restart the timer on double scoreing? Im thinking it does. But didnt know for sure.

#4090 8 years ago

Thanks!

#4091 8 years ago

Yes, it blinks faster as time runs out. There is no limit to how long you can keep it running. There is even a very short grace period after it goes out.

#4092 8 years ago

I practiced Super Skill/loop pass to right flipper/piston target. I got it the very first time and thought, "how easy!" Then I couldn't repeat on the other balls. I had a decent game, though (put initials in for high score #3, around 175 mil; started 2 CIU modes, but drained them both before I could cash in).

However, now I'm out of commission for a few weeks. Removed Sparky for a custom paint job.

#4093 8 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

I don't get a lot of time on Metallica, but I was playing tonight and noticed that on the bonus countdown of how many times you hit each item there does not seem to be a sound for the second one, "Sparky switch hits." Or can I just not hear it?
Maybe all 4 items are not supposed to have their own sound and I am just imagining it all. lol
So I guess my question is, does each of the four bonus items have its own separate sound during the bonus countdown?

All four items have their own sound. Sparky Switch hits has an electricity buzzing sound...

#4094 8 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

All four items have their own sound. Sparky Switch hits has an electricity buzzing sound...

Thanks.
I think I figured it out. Zero hits on something must be no sound.

#4095 8 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Thanks.
I think I figured it out. Zero hits on something must be no sound.

That is correct. Don't get zero hits on something!

#4096 8 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

That is correct. Don't get zero hits on something!

Thanks.
We should at least get a Whaaa, Whaaa... muted trumpet sound. lol.

#4097 8 years ago

instead of asking, you should have done it...
as i'm home, i'm always trying to finish the mode than collect it in X2

#4098 8 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

So dumb question. Does hitting the piston target restart the timer on double scoreing? Im thinking it does. But didnt know for sure.

Yes, it resets the timer to 20 seconds to my knowledge

#4099 8 years ago

While we're on the subject, can someone explain the how the inserts around the fuel lane work, and what the yellow inserts signify? Are they a countdown timer on 2X scoring, or do they indicate 2X scoring is active? Or do you have to look at the DMD to see if the multiplier is running? Still haven't wrapped by head around this. Thanks!

121.jpg121.jpg

#4100 8 years ago

Those inserts actually have nothing to do with 2x scoring. The triangle with the guitar/spider is your 2x indicator. The other 3 are lit via pop bumper hits. Then hit the fuel lane for a "blown piston", something almost meaningless in the grand scheme. I think 10 blown pistons lights another extra ball.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
NinjaCamp Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Baltimore, MD
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 12.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
6,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hoover, AL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy
Hardware
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 98.00
Lighting - Interactive
ArcadeMade
Interactive
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 433.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/82 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.