IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0271 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 71 of 433.
#3501 8 years ago

I've got a question about converting a Met Premium to the traditional captive ball. I've got one ordered from PBL. The current set-up is a steel block with a captive ball behind it. The PBL replacement comes with a pinball. My question is this. When I install the new assy, should it have both balls behind it, or only the one that comes with it? Thanks!

#3502 8 years ago

The captive ball then one loose ball behind it. The captive ball transfer's the energy of the hit to the loose ball which moves to hit the target.

#3503 8 years ago

Met Pro with Fade to Black colour GI as in the prem/LE.

--Edit. As correctly pointed out, this has a major difference (that is addressed in a later post) to the LE in that some of the GI is turned hard off instead of faded. This is just a code option and is fixable.

#3504 8 years ago

It's pretty cool but that is not like the Prem/LE. It's really not even that close. The prem/LE is a smooth change in brightness all the way down to dark (just the blue lights on low). This one has some going dark with the white still bright and then there are all the relay type flashing going on with the GI.

Something bugs me a bit and it probably shouldn't but it does. I think that mod is really cool and is great for all pro owners but I don't like how it's being commented on as being like the Prem/LE GI. It's really not even all that close to how the GI is done on the Prem/LE's in how it fades and the colors that are presented (not just the fade to black mode). It's probably as close as you can get using the tools available but I'm just concerned someone will get the kit and think it will be just like the Prem/LE when it's not.

Again, I think it's a cool mod and I'm not trying to downgrade it at all but I just think we should be a little more careful on how it's described/compared. If I could offer one suggestion to improve on the kit it would be to smooth out the color change transitions. Right now it's a lot of on and off where the Prem/LE is more smooth integration. The all off is kind of distracting and would make gameplay pretty tough in a darker room.

#3505 8 years ago

Here is a video of how the fade to black works on the Prem/LE. I don't have a tripod so forgive the shakeness of the video and my ball throwing skills as I was more focused on keeping as still as possible. It should help show the differences though.

#3506 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Met Pro with Fade to Black colour GI as in the prem/LE.
» YouTube video

Looking sweet I am in on one of these when they are available!

#3507 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Again, I think it's a cool mod and I'm not trying to downgrade it at all but I just think we should be a little more careful on how it's described/compared.

Can it do the Blackened (four horsemen) GI effects? Those are awesome!

#3508 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I've got a question about converting a Met Premium to the traditional captive ball. I've got one ordered from PBL. The current set-up is a steel block with a captive ball behind it. The PBL replacement comes with a pinball. My question is this. When I install the new assy, should it have both balls behind it, or only the one that comes with it? Thanks!

If you check early promo videos/photos, it shows this on the L.E./premium games. It was a last minute cut to put in the block. I never played mine with the block, that thing was removed by my distributor while doing some upgrades before I got my new machine.

Quoted from 85vett:

Another rattling tip. Put some of the 1/32 felt strips on the top and bottom of the backglass. This snugs it up to and stops the backglass rattling if you have that as well. Only was present on a couple of my Sterns but took me forever to figure out that was the noise. I've since added this to all my games and they are nice and quite when shaking. It can be found here - http://pinrestore.com/Supplies.html

No rattle experience here. Thought there would be, but nothing like what your mentioning. Those are some good tips though.

#3509 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

It's pretty cool but that is not like the Prem/LE. It's really not even that close. The prem/LE is a smooth change in brightness all the way down to dark (just the blue lights on low). This one has some going dark with the white still bright and then there are all the relay type flashing going on with the GI.
Something bugs me a bit and it probably shouldn't but it does. I think that mod is really cool and is great for all pro owners but I don't like how it's being commented on as being like the Prem/LE GI. It's really not even all that close to how the GI is done on the Prem/LE's in how it fades and the colors that are presented (not just the fade to black mode). It's probably as close as you can get using the tools available but I'm just concerned someone will get the kit and think it will be just like the Prem/LE when it's not.
Again, I think it's a cool mod and I'm not trying to downgrade it at all but I just think we should be a little more careful on how it's described/compared. If I could offer one suggestion to improve on the kit it would be to smooth out the color change transitions. Right now it's a lot of on and off where the Prem/LE is more smooth integration. The all off is kind of distracting and would make gameplay pretty tough in a darker room.

It's kind of like what the DE games do I think.

#3510 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Easy fix. I have left the factory GI on during the first part of fade to black and turned it off gradually string by string. I don't have to do that. Factory GI can be turned off through the whole thing.

#3511 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

The prem/LE is a smooth change in brightness all the way down to dark (just the blue lights on low). This one has some going dark with the white still bright and then there are all the relay type flashing going on with the GI.

Sorry, I should have put the full description like I did in the main thread for this product. Here is the text from the other thread..

Quoted from TimeBandit:

Here you go, Fade to Black. 80 switch hits to take it down to just blue running at 40%. The first 40 hits turn off the factory GI strings in this order.. backboard off first, then PF rear (top lanes and around there), then the left and right PF off together about midway through. The second half of the show is gradual pwm fade down of my three strings, stopping the blue fade at 40% and letting the red and white strings go to zero. There is a tiny bug at the end where the ball going into the scoop brings my strings out of the mode because FTB has actually been completed. If you go into the scoop before the mode is completed, it currently works correctly in that you don't exit the black/blue GI unless you choose to end and collect. This will of course be fixed

And here is the main product thread..

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo/page/7#post-2450946

#3512 8 years ago

Who loves Metallica (the pin)? This adorable 8-year-old girl does - she thinks it's "cool and rad and fun"! This makes me happy that we have a laissez faire league, where things like this can happen.

Matalica Rocks!.jpgMatalica Rocks!.jpg
#3513 8 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Can it do the Blackened (four horsemen) GI effects? Those are awesome!

Yes it will.

#3514 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Who loves Metallica (the pin)? This adorable 8-year-old girl does - she thinks it's "cool and rad and fun"! This makes me happy that we have a laissez faire league, where things like this can happen.

Matalica Rocks!.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Too cute. Hope she get's it.

#3515 8 years ago

I've had pins since the mid 90s, and never was much of a modder. I liked 'em as they were built. But I sure can't stop messing with Metallica. Including so many little details nobody else would bother with or care about.

Subtle change Sun.. er ... Saturday!

The stock lane dividers are red. The whole top end of the playfield is blue. It bothered me.

red_lanes.jpgred_lanes.jpg

So I fixed it.

blue_lanes.jpgblue_lanes.jpg

While I was at it, I put the huge flat top LED things that came with my Hooked Iron Man pop caps in the pops for more ... MORE.

#3516 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Matalica Rocks!.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

John, nice story. Apparently Metallica pinball is cool, but not as cool as powdered doughnuts!

#3517 8 years ago

I've owned my MET Pro LED for about two weeks now and I'm blown away. This is Stern's best pro to date in my opinion. Why?

1. Lots of features and toys: I can't think of another pro that has this many
2. Metal ramps, metal rails, metal ball guides: You don't even see this on some Stern premium and LE games.
3. Code is deep: Excellent ruleset
4. Audio: callouts by the actual band members

All of the above creates value and that is what Stern customers should expect when dropping almost $5k on a pinball machine. I've been critical of recent Stern games in the past and what they come with for the price but Metallica Pro is different and I hope Stern takes what they did with MET (in terms of value, features, complete code, etc) and applies it to all of their next games.

#3518 8 years ago

5. Amazing DMD animations.

#3519 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I've owned my MET Pro LED for about two weeks now and I'm blown away. This is Stern's best pro to date in my opinion.

It's probably my favorite Stern period I think. It just tickles things the right way for me. And while the Pro is great, I really love the extra touches the Prem/LE has. MORE TOYS!

#3520 8 years ago

I'm worried that with this being my first pin, any other NIB I buy is going to have an incredibly high bar to clear. First world problems I know..,

#3521 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I've owned my MET Pro LED for about two weeks now and I'm blown away. This is Stern's best pro to date in my opinion. Why?
1. Lots of features and toys: I can't think of another pro that has this many
2. Metal ramps, metal rails, metal ball guides: You don't even see this on some Stern premium and LE games.
3. Code is deep: Excellent ruleset
4. Audio: callouts by the actual band members
All of the above creates value and that is what Stern customers should expect when dropping almost $5k on a pinball machine. I've been critical of recent Stern games in the past and what they come with for the price but Metallica Pro is different and I hope Stern takes what they did with MET (in terms of value, features, complete code, etc) and applies it to all of their next games.

Agreed plus more I use to dislike stern pins for the most part but my recent purchase of met says alot about it considering I only bought /liked b/w pins . It definitely isnt made as well as those but the fun factor , rules, speed, flow, dmd animations , artwork more than make up for it and cant wait to mod it out.

#3522 8 years ago

definitely my favorite all time Stern pin, and I'm definitely out of the honeymoon phase. I've owned some good Stern's too (ACDC Prem, TSPP, SM, IM, LOTR, RBION, Wolverine LE, FGY, Avengers LE, etc.)

#3523 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It just tickles things the right way for me.

I think your stand to close to the coin door when the shaker goes off then, if ya catch my drift.

#3524 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

5. Amazing DMD animations.

And 10 times more amazing with the color DMD! I'm seeing so much more on Metallica since the upgrade.

#3525 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

John, nice story. Apparently Metallica pinball is cool, but not as cool as powdered doughnuts!

Well what pin is? 2nd place is rad enuf4me

#3526 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

And 10 times more amazing with the color DMD! I'm seeing so much more on Metallica since the upgrade.

Yep, the Color DMD is a must-have mod for MET. The CIU modes are 100% more awesome with color. Even the snake puke is way better.

#3527 8 years ago

Got Sparky in the game and put on the Pingraffix pinblades. Last thing left to do is the ColorDMD and then I am calling it done....

P1010887.JPGP1010887.JPG P1010888.JPGP1010888.JPG P1010891.JPGP1010891.JPG
#3528 8 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

Got Sparky in the game and put on the Pingraffix pinblades. Last thing left to do is the ColorDMD and then I am calling it done....

P1010887.JPG
P1010888.JPG
P1010891.JPG

Damn Mark, your Sparky looks awesome!

#3529 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

It is the ONLY ColorDMD upgrade I know that basically sold out all the inventory over at ColorDMD.com.

#3530 8 years ago

I've had the Met pro in the house for a while now alongside the LE. And hands down, this is the best pro from Stern. I've had both ST premium and ST pro, and thought that ST pro might have been the best pro, but no way. Met is it!

#3531 8 years ago

You ever have one of those nights where you just can't win? I think I played 15 games and my highest score was 35m (most averaged around 5-8m). I just couldn't hit a shot to save my life.

I'm fixing to wax my game for the first time. This is a silly question, but when you guys do your routine cleaning/waxing, how in depth do you go with it? Just the main play area?

#3532 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

You ever have one of those nights where you just can't win? I think I played 15 games and my highest score was 35m (most averaged around 5-8m). I just couldn't hit a shot to save my life.
I'm fixing to wax my game for the first time. This is a silly question, but when you guys do your routine cleaning/waxing, how in depth do you go with it? Just the main play area?

Thats almost every game on met at least on mine

#3533 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

My routine is a PF cleaning/wax every couple of months depending on play. I also change the balls out with freshly tumbled balls at the same time. This is just hitting places I can without removing things. Once a year I strip the game down far enough to where I can get to every nook and cranny of the upper PF and do a full shop job and rubber change with a real good PF cleaning. Probably overkill but this is what I like to do.

#3534 8 years ago

Anyone have a extra coffin eyeball sticker/decal black one perfered? Ive been emailing and messaging the person who makes them but haven't heard back thanks.

#3535 8 years ago

I didn't try to email him. I just went on his site and purchased and it came in the mail.

#3536 8 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

I didn't try to email him. I just went on his site and purchased and it came in the mail.

Same here... Its expensive for what it is, but also looks great. Plain coffin looks like something is missing after seeing it with the eyes.

#3537 8 years ago

Snake, Coffin, and Sparky multiball on ball 1. Only scored 126m after choking on CIU and failing to get control of the ball afterwards.

#3538 8 years ago

I installed my coin taker shaker motor in my Metallica pro and now every 10 seconds the grave markers keep going off like they are trying to reset or find a ball. Does anybody possibly know what's going on or what I can do to fix it? Thanks ahead of time

#3539 8 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

Ok thax

#3540 8 years ago

I sold my METLE at PAGG this last weekend. The buyer expressed interest as I was loading in Thursday night, and then he made the decision with his wife after about an hour after the show started on Friday. I was happy they left it on the show floor all weekend!

I was in on the pre-order three years ago, but I felt it was time to take the value difference between the LE and the Pro LED. I placed my order with Cointaker yesterday, and it should be delivered by this weekend!

#3541 8 years ago

Congrats on your sale. I've been debating the same decision but I'm afraid I'll miss the extra features (mainly the GI). From what it sounds, I'm one of the few that actually thinks the hammer is one of the best toys in Pinball. I play pro's all the time and I don't feel the hammer is impacting my view of things enough to consider it a problem.

I've also thought about trading down to a monster premium though as I've always preferred it's look over the MOPLE. Money's getting tight with a new baby on the way so I may be forced to make the change though to get some extra cash but right now I keep going back and forth on the thought. Ironically enough, I've started thinking about the same on my AC/DC Prem too.

#3542 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

From what it sounds, I'm one of the few that actually thinks the hammer is one of the best toys in Pinball. I play pro's all the time and I don't feel the hammer is impacting my view of things enough to consider it a problem.
I've also thought about trading down to a monster premium though as I've always preferred it's look over the MOPLE.

I also think the hammer is one of the best toys in all of pinball. Nothing more satisfying than slamming that ball through the playfield. I have a monster premium and I can't imagine giving it up, even if I were to replace if with a pro. If you do decide to downgrade, hopefully it is to the premium.

#3543 8 years ago
Quoted from wonderpuddle:

I also think the hammer is one of the best toys in all of pinball. Nothing more satisfying than slamming that ball through the playfield. I have a monster premium and I can't imagine giving it up, even if I were to replace if with a pro. If you do decide to downgrade, hopefully it is to the premium.

That makes at least 3 of us. It is definitely one of my favorite features.

#3544 8 years ago

I was a hammer hater, but now I like it. But I prefer my version that's smaller.

#3545 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I was a hammer hater, but now I like it. But I prefer my version that's smaller.

Any more news on the mass produced hammer version?

#3546 8 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

Any more news on the mass produced hammer version?

I talked with my friend who was going to cast it, and he was going to try, and then I haven't heard from him. I just shot him an email since you reminded me.

#3547 8 years ago

Just got a box in the mail with Speaker Light kit, Flipper covers, and Captive ball kit for my premium. I'll post some pics when it's done.

#3548 8 years ago

Light kit and flipper mod done. Captive will take a little longer.

20150519_134159.jpg20150519_134159.jpg 20150519_134311.jpg20150519_134311.jpg 20150519_134332.jpg20150519_134332.jpg
#3549 8 years ago

I spent a lot of time on that MOPLE at PAGG last weekend, and I have to say I was really impressed, even though my gameplay was terrible. Maybe that's why. I love a good challenge along with excellent code.

Now that I've played it & agreed with the comments in this thread, I'm really thinking of getting serious & buying a Metallica Monsters Premium. I feel the extra playfield features are worth the cost over a MET LED Pro. But have NIB Premiums become a white whale? I'm guessing a few distributers have a couple stashed away, but I'm guessing they're extremely hard to find at a decent price now.

#3550 8 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Now that I've played it & agreed with the comments in this thread, I'm really thinking of getting serious & buying a Metallica Monsters Premium. I feel the extra playfield features are worth the cost over a MET LED Pro. But have NIB Premiums become a white whale? I'm guessing a few distributers have a couple stashed away, but I'm guessing they're extremely hard to find at a decent price now.

I think the upgrade is worth it (I have an LE) but I think you're probably right, and it's not going to be easy to find one NIB now.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 199.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Shark
Decals
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z
Interactive
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy
Hardware
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
NinjaCamp Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
Interactive
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Conifer, CO
$ 29.95
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 25.50
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 71 of 433.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.