Topic Stats

• 17,191 posts
  • 959 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 hours ago by Mr_Outlane
  • Topic is favorited by 369 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,943 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

AD7C5EAA-16FB-4FEE-AA98-7714687D0538 (resized).jpeg
AD43465E-F523-4444-AAF5-8EF60E341772 (resized).jpeg
EBFC9F4E-6334-49DF-9FAE-9F4546D2FA26 (resized).jpeg
C983082E-5120-4A3C-9B68-EB491421D7E7 (resized).jpeg
3508fb180bb5eddd6ce77b68e97d976e00ff52fd.jpeg (resized).jpg
EF82459E-3D35-4C2F-A1A4-D5A5AF738B5B (resized).jpeg
12F2F3CA-9A84-4A07-8498-CDFCAD6BB449 (resized).jpeg
BDAA4093-FC41-4AF3-98C0-C8F4AFE06BC5 (resized).jpeg
5B2DBA3D-D33B-4FA3-B478-0C8902164D28.jpeg
08A2353A-227F-4471-B644-99250F8CD1ED (resized).jpeg
EE77AE9B-F9D2-4417-95C1-487A0003B0A6 (resized).jpeg
C2778CF1-BE72-4435-A7A3-956014D956D6 (resized).jpeg
EB43D533-A925-4165-9D81-02CB119BFBFD (resized).jpeg
FA45EFDB-A47E-43E1-93E9-D6B9E5A82DA2 (resized).jpeg
Dp4gQ5MU4AAC7vo (resized).jpg
20200106_232456 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 17191 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 344.
#201 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Can someone go into the flash lamp test mode, and tell me if they see anything for #20 (snake flasher)? This is shown as an LED on page 13 in the manual, but the LED doesn't come on during this test. I just wondered if my game was missing a #89 flasher.

After each letter collected in SNAKE, the flasher goes off as the ball is spit back at you.
Once all letters are complete, the flasher activates letting you know the multiball is ready.
If you don't see any of the above flashes, something is up.

#202 6 years ago

The manual must be incorrect. The bulbs for Sparky look like 5 head super brights.

#203 6 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Just to rule the silly thing out, you have the coin door shut while you're testing this, right?

Yes. I put it in Flasher test mode, closed the door and then used the flipper and game start buttons to cycle through the flashers. #20 is the only one that doesn't do anything.

#204 6 years ago
Quoted from movingpictures:

After each letter collected in SNAKE, the flasher goes off as the ball is spit back at you.
Once all letters are complete, the flasher activates letting you know the multiball is ready.
If you don't see any of the above flashes, something is up.

Hmm. I don't even see a #89 flasher socket back there. I assume it's under the right ramp, top side of the playfield? I also checked under the playfield to see if I had an unused connector - nothing.

EDIT: yeah, mine is missing that flasher assembly! I see what I'm missing at 17sec in this video (thanks GAP):

If someone can post a closeup pic of where this is mounted, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

#205 6 years ago
Quoted from MnHotRod:

The manual must be incorrect. The bulbs for Sparky look like 5 head super brights.

It doesn't look like the part is listed in the manual, lots of blank spaces on the matrix grid.
I think the one I quoted before is in front of sparky's foot.

#206 6 years ago

I have a small nitpick about the background music. When the bonus sequence starts, this happens:

1. Song fades away (nice!)
2. Bonus sequence with awesome sound effects, no music (nice!)
3. Song comes back softly for about a second (why?)
4. Song jumps to a new place at normal volume for the next ball (jarring!).

I hope the software team will get rid of #3, and fade the music back up over 1 second for the new ball (for step #4). This would be very classy.

I like that there are "bookmarks", so the song doesn't start over from the beginning on each ball. I must be a bad player, because I haven't heard a song finish yet.

#207 6 years ago

Guys sorry if this has been aswered before....

It seems that the sound system that stern suplies with the Metallica pins is not of best quality

I have decided to upgrade it, after checking the forums I think I prefer an internal solution, and I´m considering two options:

Flipper Fidelity Option: http://www.flipperfidelity.com/products.php?cat=Stern%20Speaker%20Systems&itemId=94

Pinball Pro Option: http://pinballpro.net/shop/new-stern-complete-speaker-kit-w-12-subwoofer/

Main difference is that Flipper Fidelity is a 8" sub and Pinball Pro is a 12" so here comes the questions

Will my metallica LE support a 12" sub, since stock one is an 8"?
If answer is "yes" from those two options above wich one would you recommend?

Many thanks guys.

#208 6 years ago
Quoted from Krorghar:

Guys sorry if this has been aswered before....
It seems that the sound system that stern suplies with the Metallica pins is not of best quality
I have decided to upgrade it, after checking the forums I think I prefer an internal solution, and I´m considering two options:
Flipper Fidelity Option: http://www.flipperfidelity.com/products.php?cat=Stern%20Speaker%20Systems&itemId=94
Pinball Pro Option: http://pinballpro.net/shop/new-stern-complete-speaker-kit-w-12-subwoofer/
Main difference is that Flipper Fidelity is a 8" sub and Pinball Pro is a 12" so here comes the questions
Will my metallica LE support a 12" sub, since stock one is an 8"?
If answer is "yes" from those two options above wich one would you recommend?
Many thanks guys.

Pretty sure pinball pro sells a kit with an 8 inch sub.

Beyond that its all personal preference.

#209 6 years ago

Hi fellow owners - couuple of questions if you can help me please......

The Grave Marker cross PF inserts at each major shot.
When I start a game sometimes none are lit , sometimes ONE is lit, sometimes TWO are lit- I am unsure why it it is varied. When I hit those shots – nothing happens – inserts remain lit.

Same thing goes for the large inserts with the electrical switch on it – sometimes ONE is on , then two and yet when I hit those shots nothing happens.
They just seem to ‘come on’ randomly
Am I missing something?

I played some games last night and played specifically to watch these shots and see what happens and nothing seems to be going on. ( I realise those inserts are lit in GM MB and also in Sparky MB but I am referring to them in general gameplay when I first start a ball )

I am someone who takes a while to work out whats happening in a new game so this could well be ME mis-understanding things.

#210 6 years ago

Sparky / Snake resume:

WARNING: NSFW and VERY METAL

#211 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Hmm. I don't even see a #89 flasher socket back there. I assume it's under the right ramp, top side of the playfield? I also checked under the playfield to see if I had an unused connector - nothing.

OK, mystery solved. It's not actually a "flasher" at all. It's a 20V LED in a 555 socket. They had installed a 555, and of course that was blown. I like easy/cheap problems!

#212 6 years ago

Hey Wotto, if you'll post a vid I'll compare it to mine and let you know if there's something wrong.

EDIT: Also, go through the individual lamp test. Maybe something is wrong?

#213 6 years ago

I'm loving the stacking opportunities in this game! EC MB + FUEL + Coffin MB = huge rush!!

I noticed something new today: sometimes during normal play, a single shot is indicated (all inserts for that shot are pulsing). I wonder what it's for - maybe "Seek and Destroy"? I'm determined to discover this one with the glass on! But of course I keep choking on the flashing shot.

#214 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

OK, mystery solved. It's not actually a "flasher" at all. It's a 20V LED in a 555 socket. They had installed a 555, and of course that was blown. I like easy/cheap problems!

Wow, can you even buy a replacement for that outside of Stern?

#215 6 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Wow, can you even buy a replacement for that outside of Stern?

I tried a normal 555 LED I had laying around, and it seems to work. But it's way too blue, so I'd rather have the right one.

#216 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I noticed something new today: sometimes during normal play, a single shot is indicated (all inserts for that shot are pulsing).

Hitting this lights 'Coffin Hurry Up' (1.5 mil countdown) and plays track For Whom the Bell Tolls, until hurry up is made or timed out.

#217 6 years ago

Hitting this lights 'Coffin Hurry Up' (1.5 mil countdown) and plays track For Whom the Bell Tolls, until hurry up is made or timed out.

Thanks!

#218 6 years ago

GD I am so excited to get this home, with me there shortly thereafter(Sept). I have #220 METLE and it will be my first pin. Honestly never thought I would be buying a new pinball machine, but when my buddy told me about the Metallica rumors back in Dec. I sent him the money and he got 2 of them. His will go on route, mine will go home. So bad ass that this game seems to be a winner almost out of the gate. Ill be looking to do some sounds mods and some lighting upgrades as well.

#219 6 years ago

Here's my first mod. I got tired of seeing that bare bulb above the left outlane, so I moved it up to the empty hole just above it. I'll put it back once I can find a nice thick red bulb condom.

IMG_5427.JPG

#220 6 years ago

Whilst on the topic of that left lane – is anyone else finding it to be a little bit of a drain monster on that side of the game?
Maybe I am just a rubbish player ? Thats probably it

Nah seriously – any other owners thoughts on this ?

#221 6 years ago

The left outlane isn't a problem for me, but I'm used to that setup from CSI and Avatar. If you see the ball headed for the inlane divider, nudge it away or it'll bounce off the metal and into the outlane.

#222 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I tried a normal 555 LED I had laying around, and it seems to work. But it's way too blue, so I'd rather have the right one.

It will be interesting to see if your 555 led burns out pretty fast. Please let us know.

#223 6 years ago

Hooked up an external Velodyne 12' Sub tonight ( temporary ) - and it did open up a lot of bottom end sounds that are lacking in the game normally - so I PP sub will be added to my game very shortly.

#224 6 years ago

Lol. Velodyne on a pinball. Kick ass!

#225 6 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Lol. Velodyne on a pinball. Kick ass!

Yeah its pretty serious - actually a little 'muddy' to be honest.
I prefer the "punch in the head" style bass attack that a Pinball Pro sub or similar offers rather than a blended bass sound - but thats just me.

#226 6 years ago

I hooked up a Polk PSW10 powered subwoofer and the sound is IMMENSELY improved.
Must have mod!
polk_sub.jpg

For canucks, the sub is on sale for $99 (free shipping), ends 23/5/13.
Easy install and you can connect two games at once.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/polk-audio-10-100-watt-powered-subwoofer-psw10/10053785.aspx?path=93c688c43389ac588dfdcf916e9cba32en02

#228 6 years ago

Has anyone installed a Cliffy protector yet in the shooter lane? I sent Cliff an email asking if the protector he sells for other Sterns will work in Metallica.

What other areas on the playfield have you protected and how?

#229 6 years ago

[EDITED] I just figured out how hurry ups work! And this may answer Wotto's question.

Shooting any major shot lights the red spider insert for that shot. Think of that as the "selector";
it indicates where the next "award" will go:

* Shoot Sparky to award knife switch insert for selected shot
* Shoot Graveyard to award cross insert for selected shot
* Shoot Snake to award snake insert for 3 shots (configurable),
or 2 shots if only 2 remain.

Once the knife switch, cross and snake are all lit, that shot is will start the hurry up - even if the spider insert is no longer lit because you shot something else. When your ball drains, all inserts will go out.

There's a catch to this: shooting the Graveyard will also select the Graveyard shot (light its spider).

I LOVE the way this works. While you're playing, you're building up inserts for hurry ups. This rewards long balls and gives you another reason to shoot Graveyard, Sparky and Snake. This also creates an interesting strategy: build up hurry-up qualified shots, and then start MB when you have more than one.

I have a feeling that "Seek and Destroy" may have something to do with all of this too, once it's implemented. Or maybe it already is?

#230 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

[EDITED] I just figured out how hurry ups work! And this may answer Wotto's question.
Shooting any major shot lights the red spider insert for that shot. Think of that as the "selector";
it indicates where the next "award" will go:
* Shoot Sparky to award knife switch insert for selected shot
* Shoot Graveyard to award cross insert for selected shot
* Shoot Snake to award snake insert for 3 shots (configurable),
or 2 shots if only 2 remain.
Once the knife switch, cross and snake are all lit, that shot is will start the hurry up - even if the spider insert is no longer lit because you shot something else. When your ball drains, all inserts will go out.
There's a catch to this: shooting the Graveyard will also select the Graveyard shot (light its spider).
I LOVE the way this works. While you're playing, you're building up inserts for hurry ups. This rewards long balls and gives you another reason to shoot Graveyard, Sparky and Snake. This also creates an interesting strategy: build up hurry-up qualified shots, and then start MB when you have more than one.
I have a feeling that "Seek and Destroy" may have something to do with all of this too, once it's implemented. Or maybe it already is?

Nice work. This sounds very ... Lyman. If I understand you, This is like AFM or MM Hurry ups! Really?! \m/

Lots of scoring strategies to choose from. Im hoping that he has an award for collecting all the Hurry Ups like AFM Total Annihilation and the one for MM(which I cant remember now).

With highly addictive and understandable rules from the top A list pins, I see this pin heading for top 15. Could be Lymans masterpiece.

#231 6 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Nice work. This sounds very ... Lyman. If I understand you, This is like AFM or MM Hurry ups! Really?! \m/

If that's the case, I need to give AFM another chance. Not that I can afford one, mind you...

I thought this might be a Lyman signature; it's the first Lyman pin I've owned.

#232 6 years ago

Im to the point now that I only buy Lyman pins. MB, SM, TRON, AFM. MM if I can find one. I appreciate his Tournament experience and challenging rules. Combos, Stacks Wizard Modes and Hurry ups. I hoped he would pull from his previous masterpieces for Metallica.

AFM is awesome fast and addictive. Each shot has 4 inserts and a Hurry Up count down. Completing them all gives you a 4 ball MB. Each of the 5 shots has to be hit once. Then a roving Super Jackpot.

#233 6 years ago

Man my pro needs to get here soon! I'm jonesing with all this talk in this thread. Am I officialy an owner if Ive already payed?

#234 6 years ago

Just keeps getting better and better!

#235 6 years ago

Any new code coming this week?

#236 6 years ago

Shooter Lane Protection: The stock generic Cliffy protector will not fit without modification due to the wire guide near the eject shoot. Cliff is sending out a prototype shooter lane protector for test. I will post results when it arrives.

Mystery Scoop: Cliff is working on release of a protector. No ETA yet on completion.

#237 6 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Any new code coming this week?

I was just thinking the same thing.

#238 6 years ago
Quoted from MnHotRod:

Shooter Lane Protection: The stock generic Cliffy protector will not fit without modification due to the wire guide near the eject shoot. Cliff is sending out a prototype shooter lane protector for test. I will post results when it arrives.
Mystery Scoop: Cliff is working on release of a protector. No ETA yet on completion.

It's a simple modification, took about 5 mins.

#239 6 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Im to the point now that I only buy Lyman pins. MB, SM, TRON, AFM. MM if I can find one. I appreciate his Tournament experience and challenging rules. Combos, Stacks Wizard Modes and Hurry ups. I hoped he would pull from his previous masterpieces for Metallica.
AFM is awesome fast and addictive. Each shot has 4 inserts and a Hurry Up count down. Completing them all gives you a 4 ball MB. Each of the 5 shots has to be hit once. Then a roving Super Jackpot.

There is actually another rule in the AFM hurry ups that I didn't know about until I saw Lyman himself exploit it at a tournament. In AFM there are 4 hurry ups. Normally you would score a hurry up right after starting it to get the max points. But in AFM if you can start all 4 before scoring any (you must do this before the timer runs out but the timer is pretty long) then when you do get all four running and score it (by shooting the saucer) get a 1 BILLION BONUS.

To succeed at this in AFM you would get all 4 hurry ups one shot away from starting, start them all one at a time while avoiding the saucer, then shoot the saucer for the BILLION.

Lets hope something like this will be in Metallica.

Parker

#240 6 years ago
Quoted from rockinganker:

It's a simple modification, took about 5 mins.

Damn I just bought a cliffy for met at PAGG. Got a pic of the modification required?

#241 6 years ago

I'll try stacking hurry-ups tonight and report back.

#242 6 years ago

I never knew this! Thanks. Lyman is the man. Cover is coming off Afm. I'm going for the billion.

#243 6 years ago

Lets hope so

#244 6 years ago

I installed a shaker last night. With shaker use set to Maximum, it activates for:

Combos
Jackpots
MB qualified
MB start
FUEL and hurry up start

Definitely worth it!

#245 6 years ago

I hooked up a Polk PSW10 powered subwoofer and the sound is IMMENSELY improved.
Must have mod!

For canucks, the sub is on sale for $99 (free shipping), ends 23/5/13.
Easy install and you can connect two games at once.
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/polk-audio-10-100-watt-powered-subwoofer-psw10/10053785.aspx?path=93c688c43389ac588dfdcf916e9cba32en02

Hi Adams

did you disconnect the original sub? or only put both together?

#246 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I installed a shaker last night. With shaker use set to Maximum, it activates for:
CombosJackpotsMB qualifiedMB startFUEL and hurry up start
Definitely worth it!

Awesome I was wondering about this as my friends suggested me getting one. Where's the best place to order one from?

#247 6 years ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

Awesome I was wondering about this as my friends suggested me getting one. Where's the best place to order one from?

Pinball Life or Flipper Fidelity.

#248 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Pinball Life or Flipper Fidelity.

Ok that's what I thought. Thanks. Also does your Metallica have any issues with the inline drop targets not going down when you hit them like mine do? I'm pretty sure mine all check out fine in the test modes as I recall you mentioning that, but many times when there hit they don't budge.

#249 6 years ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

Ok that's what I thought. Thanks. Also does your Metallica have any issues with the inline drop targets not going down when you hit them like mine do? I'm pretty sure mine all check out fine in the test modes as I recall you mentioning that, but many times when there hit they don't budge.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-pro-drop-target-question

I plan to try modding the drop targets once I can get some spares (I don't want to damage my originals)

#250 6 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

Hi Adams
did you disconnect the original sub? or only put both together?

Gino, just connect the + and - wires to the existing under cab speaker at the solder points.
You can use alligator clips or strip the speaker wire and wrap it around.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
There are 17191 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 344.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside