C7302EC0-E40C-4401-A735-26261435813E (resized).jpeg
38320F75-D438-4EC6-B8F0-EA529FC5A079 (resized).jpeg
51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,663 posts in this topic. You are on page 416 of 434.
#20751 1 year ago

It was very simple to do when I did it. I literally just hit it on my bench grinder to take the notch out. I marked it on the game where I needed it and how deep, put some painters tape on it, then notched in like 5 seconds on my grinder. Perfectly square with very clean edges. Looked like it was factory.

#20752 1 year ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

It was very simple to do when I did it. I literally just hit it on my bench grinder to take the notch out. I marked it on the game where I needed it and how deep, put some painters tape on it, then notched in like 5 seconds on my grinder. Perfectly square with very clean edges. Looked like it was factory.

Jarbyjibbo is right ! Very simple cut outs. No need to get Premium Plastics, I actually used a very sharp x-acto knife, because I didn't have a scroll saw or dremel at the time.Cutting back and forth it cut very cleanly. Sanded the cutouts a little and looked great !

#20753 1 year ago

Another trick.. you can use a soldering iron or hot nail or whatever to melt a hole in a plastic. It's is a little messy, just clean up the edges with a craft knife after. Sounds like a grinder is a better option for notching that though.

#20754 1 year ago

When I did it I used a scroll saw. Easy.

#20755 1 year ago

So its my understanding that the spinner mod on the pro actuates the pic targets?

Does it make higher scores considerably easier?

#20756 1 year ago
Quoted from Acronymicon:

So its my understanding that the spinner mod on the pro actuates the pic targets?

Sure! One pic target at a time!

#20757 1 year ago
Quoted from Acronymicon:

You can hook the spinners up to any switch you like, most people (including me) choose the nearby pick target. I don't think it has a significant impact on scoring.

#20758 1 year ago

Mine used to be hooked up via the TLS board and a serial cable up to the serial port on the SAM board and the TLS would make the pin to make the proper sound when you hit the spinner. I think it even changed the sound for different modes.

Sterns last code update disabled the serial port i guess or otherwise blocked that functionality and so my spinners just spin and arent hooked to anything at all. Still fun though.

That TLS was awesome. Too bad the creator isnt supporting it anymore.

#20759 1 year ago

The previous owner and my Distributor could never get the spinners to work on My Pro when I bought it used. So I have 2 spinners in my game that don't do anything but spin - no sound effects or effects on scoring.

Would love to get them up and running but I'm clueless...way out of my league.

#20760 1 year ago

Duh, Dumb question; I dont know why I thought it would just keep filling in any pic target, it would just be the one you wire it to.

#20761 1 year ago

I wired both spinners to the one pick target. I chose to wire them to the right hand pick target as it is the easiest one to hit during normal gameplay anyway, enabling the bass drum sound but not really giving much of an advantage to advancing modes.

#20762 1 year ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Mine used to be hooked up via the TLS board and a serial cable up to the serial port on the SAM board and the TLS would make the pin to make the proper sound when you hit the spinner. I think it even changed the sound for different modes.
Sterns last code update disabled the serial port i guess or otherwise blocked that functionality and so my spinners just spin and arent hooked to anything at all. Still fun though.
That TLS was awesome. Too bad the creator isnt supporting it anymore.

Yes I had them wired up through the TLS and the extra board. They definitely made different sounds in different modes. One was when Fuel was running, ripping the spinner would give the engine rev sound. Sucks that when Stern updated the code they stopped it from working. Mike said he could not make a work around and unfortunately that was the end for the spinner sound, and I had to wire to a pick target.
Here is Mikes post with the details and a couple of videos:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-metallica-pro-with-spinners-that-have-full-factory-sound#post-3570846

#20763 1 year ago
Quoted from Acronymicon:

Definitely changes things for advancing to Blackened mode and also the add a ball and snake ball lock feature during multiball

#20764 1 year ago
Quoted from Acronymicon:

I certainly hope so !

#20765 1 year ago

Hello
i´m installing 2 spinners at my Metallica Pro
the spinners do not have any diode for the switches, can anyone confirm if i need to add a diode to each switch ?

Also the spinner switch has got 3 connections, what connections should i use, and which ones i should connect the positive and the negative ?
thanks

IMG_9748 (resized).JPGIMG_9748 (resized).JPGthumbnail_IMG_9747 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_9747 (resized).jpg
#20766 1 year ago
Quoted from Luis75:

Hello
i´m installing 2 spinners at my Metallica Pro
the spinners do not have any diode for the switches, can anyone confirm if i need to add a diode to each switch ?
Also the spinner switch has got 3 connections, what connections should i use, and which ones i should connect the positive and the negative ?
thanks
[quoted image][quoted image]

Positive and negative typically doesn't matter on a switch like this since it's just bridging the connection when it's pressed in.

If you have a multimeter then put it on continuity mode and try probing two of the three legs on the switch and then press the button, if you get continuity those are the two you want to connect.

#20767 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

Positive and negative typically doesn't matter on a switch like this since it's just bridging the connection when it's pressed in.
If you have a multimeter then put it on continuity mode and try probing two of the three legs on the switch and then press the button, if you get continuity those are the two you want to connect.

Quoted from Anony:

Hello

the tip contacts have continuity, when the switch is pressed it loses continuity.

the first contact under the initials DB5 and the middle contact only have continuity when the switch is pressed. so this are the contacts that must be used, correct? As for the diode, is one needed?

#20768 1 year ago

Big Thank you to Dan at Tilttopper. It’s badass.

F789AF3A-349B-4242-8A8B-CD3C0700B88B (resized).jpegF789AF3A-349B-4242-8A8B-CD3C0700B88B (resized).jpeg
#20769 1 year ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

[quoted image]

Hell yeah!! So, do you know where you were in the list? I’m pretty much dead last, but just wondering how’s it’s going with production fulfilling orders.

#20770 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Hell yeah!! So, do you know where you were in the list? I’m pretty much dead last, but just wondering how’s it’s going with production fulfilling orders.

Mine came also. Shouldn’t be long for the rest that are waiting

IMG_3904 (resized).jpegIMG_3904 (resized).jpeg
#20771 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

I was towards the end of the line, so yours should be ready pretty soon I’d think.

#20772 1 year ago
Quoted from Luis75:

Hello
the tip contacts have continuity, when the switch is pressed it loses continuity.
the first contact under the initials DB5 and the middle contact only have continuity when the switch is pressed. so this are the contacts that must be used, correct? As for the diode, is one needed?

Yes the second set that only have continuity when pressed should be the ones you use. Sorry I don't know about the diode.

#20773 1 year ago

Hi all, after a bit of a break from owning a Metallica (pro) I'll soon have a Premium

In the U.K there's not really much choice with regards to mods and so will likely have to order from the U.S (although next month my wife and I will be in Canada (Toronto and Montreal) on holiday, so am considering ordering some things and having them sent to our hotel there to save on shipping cost etc)
One thing I've noticed however is that there's not just one site which has everting I'm looking for, so thought I'd ask for advice here in case I've missed some good mod websites, or to see if anyone has any of the following spare which they might want to sell?;

Snake teeth (the Prem. I'm getting doesn't have any snake teeth)
Right ramp snake decal/revised plastic above the snake
3D snake mod (I gather this was a limited run by a pinsider and so have missed out?
Coloured Gel inserts for FUEL gauge
Cap/Wires for Sparky (ideally ones which light up during sparky hits)
Speaker lighting kit (round speakers)
Grave marker/Cross under PF fittings for the Grave marker inserts (so that the light doesn't bleed outside of the cross shape)

I think that's it. I've already ordered a colour DMD (LCD one - will use the dots mode(s) to get as close as I can to an LED look), shaker and some plastic protectors etc.

I also have a couple of questions re; the Premium model, as have only played one (well, an LE) in tournament scenarios:

If you've Physically locked 2 balls in the Coffin and you start Sparky Multiball (which is a 3 ball MB IIRC), as there are only 4 balls installed in the machine (correct me if I'm wrong), or if it's a 2 ball MB and you add-a-ball - do the physically locked balls exit the scoop from the Grave? (if so, I take it lights are then used to represent the 2 balls which were previously physically locked, like aon a pro)

The PRO I used to own came with incandescent bulbs, but it was really easy to swap bulbs out to LEDS; is it just as easy on a Premium?; I wasn't sure if on a Premium the LEDs are circuit board mounted or something.
I used to like putting a different colours flasher beneath the Grave marker on my PRO, as wasn't a fan of the red flashing. My PRO also came with pink FUEL lights, which was also cool.

Many thanks

#20774 1 year ago
Quoted from Guitarpinman:

Hi all, after a bit of a break from owning a Metallica (pro) I'll soon have a Premium
In the U.K there's not really much choice with regards to mods and so will likely have to order from the U.S (although next month my wife and I will be in Canada (Toronto and Montreal) on holiday, so am considering ordering some things and having them sent to our hotel there to save on shipping cost etc)
One thing I've noticed however is that there's not just one site which has everting I'm looking for, so thought I'd ask for advice here in case I've missed some good mod websites, or to see if anyone has any of the following spare which they might want to sell?

https://mezelmods.com/products/fangs

3D snake mod (I gather this was a limited run by a pinsider and so have missed out?

https://www.pinballlife.com/snake-mod-for-stern-metallica-pinball-machines.html

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-f-u-e-l-gauge-lens-bracket

Grave marker/Cross under PF fittings for the Grave marker inserts (so that the light doesn't bleed outside of the cross shape)

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1087-wcp/00873-cross-pattern-light-blocking-insert-metallica-pro-premium-le

I also have a couple of questions re; the Premium model, as have only played one (well, an LE) in tournament scenarios:
If you've Physically locked 2 balls in the Coffin and you start Sparky Multiball (which is a 3 ball MB IIRC), as there are only 4 balls installed in the machine (correct me if I'm wrong), or if it's a 2 ball MB and you add-a-ball - do the physically locked balls exit the scoop from the Grave? (if so, I take it lights are then used to represent the 2 balls which were previously physically locked, like aon a pro)
The PRO I used to own came with incandescent bulbs, but it was really easy to swap bulbs out to LEDS; is it just as easy on a Premium?; I wasn't sure if on a Premium the LEDs are circuit board mounted or something.
I used to like putting a different colours flasher beneath the Grave marker on my PRO, as wasn't a fan of the red flashing. My PRO also came with pink FUEL lights, which was also cool.
Many thanks

yes, if you lock more balls in the coffin and manage to start another multi-ball mode, any required balls not in the trough are kicked out from the mystery hole.
if you then manage to start coffin multiball, all balls still in the coffin lock kick out via the mystery hole and the rest are launched from the shooter lane.
most of the bulbs on a premium/LE are LED boards and not user serviceable. there are still a few 555's in the spotlights which can be easily swapped with LED bulbs

#20775 1 year ago

Metallica pro. The light inside the graveyard cross keeps popping out after taking only a few hits from the ball. Has anyone else encountered this?

#20776 1 year ago

One thing I've noticed however is that there's not just one site which has everting I'm looking for, so thought I'd ask for advice here in case I've missed some good mod websites, or to see if anyone has any of the following spare which they might want to sell?;
Cap/Wires for Sparky (ideally ones which light up during sparky hits)
Speaker lighting kit (round speakers)
I think that's it. I've already ordered a colour DMD (LCD one - will use the dots mode(s) to get as close as I can to an LED look), shaker and some plastic protectors etc.
Many thanks

I didn't add a lot of mods to my Metallica, but I did add the Cemetery arch to my game. It looks like it should be there,to me at least.

Screenshot_20230413-013932-192 (resized).pngScreenshot_20230413-013932-192 (resized).png
#20777 1 year ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Metallica pro. The light inside the graveyard cross keeps popping out after taking only a few hits from the ball. Has anyone else encountered this?

I use cut a thin strip of electric tape and wrap around the bottom like shown for spotlights and other bulbs that keep falling out. It makes it hard to push in, but it stays in.

70234376370__CD29E62E-8798-4BB4-8F5B-CB33593DC22F (resized).jpg70234376370__CD29E62E-8798-4BB4-8F5B-CB33593DC22F (resized).jpg

#20778 1 year ago
Quoted from j_m_:

https://mezelmods.com/products/fangs

https://www.pinballlife.com/snake-mod-for-stern-metallica-pinball-machines.html

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-f-u-e-l-gauge-lens-bracket

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1087-wcp/00873-cross-pattern-light-blocking-insert-metallica-pro-premium-le

yes, if you lock more balls in the coffin and manage to start another multi-ball mode, any required balls not in the trough are kicked out from the mystery hole.
if you then manage to start coffin multiball, all balls still in the coffin lock kick out via the mystery hole and the rest are launched from the shooter lane.
most of the bulbs on a premium/LE are LED boards and not user serviceable. there are still a few 555's in the spotlights which can be easily swapped with LED bulbs

Thank you very much for your help - The Snake/ramp mod I was looking for was the 3D printed one which a pinsider made, but likely doesn't make anymore, but I'll find the thread and ask the guy just in case (if not, I'll buy the one you linked to, thank you). I remember back when owning or even getting to play on a Metallica machine at all (here in the U.K there was a time when there was nowhere I was aware of to play pinball), I used to play MET on Visual Pinball and the version on there had the cool Snake ramp decal

Looks like my best best is to order a bunch of stuff to be sent to arrive in Canada when I'm there, but I'll do some research, as possibly postage and potential customs charges if I'm unlucky are similar to sending to the U.K?

#20779 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

I use cut a thin strip of electric tape and wrap around the bottom like shown for spotlights and other bulbs that keep falling out. It makes it hard to push in, but it stays in.
[quoted image]

Back when I had a PRO this happened a couple of times and was a pain to keep taking the whole Grave marker mech out and re-seating the flasher; I'll keep the above in mind for if it happens with my Premium- thank you

#20780 1 year ago

New gameroom design for Metallica. Made from real wood and hand painted. Grey area will be metallic silver. Likely size will be 18 x 32 inches. Will post some photos when I have the first one made. Thanks.

0BCD3A8C-B38D-4BB7-B268-202CD714B784 (resized).png0BCD3A8C-B38D-4BB7-B268-202CD714B784 (resized).pngB27A1FF7-B540-4973-8D9F-4470220D2F83 (resized).jpegB27A1FF7-B540-4973-8D9F-4470220D2F83 (resized).jpegB602148E-06CE-4847-9ECC-366AFD4F6739 (resized).pngB602148E-06CE-4847-9ECC-366AFD4F6739 (resized).png

#20781 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

New gameroom design for Metallica. Made from real wood and hand painted. Grey area will be metallic silver. Likely size will be 18 x 32 inches. Will post some photos when I have the first one made. Thanks.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks Killer! Nice detail on FF….

#20782 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

[quoted image]

Thanks, I will try that.

#20783 1 year ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

[quoted image]

Are these for sale or was this one a special order?? Does look badass I want one lol

#20784 1 year ago

Hi there, can some please confirm the wiring for the drop target bank for the coil?
Is it the picture below. Not sure, and have another connecter that fits but I think this should be the correct one.
Waiting to switch on my MET Premium, please can anyone confirm it's correct?
When wired to the other connector (yellow/purple + yellow/black) the drop target bank does not reset after a new play (new game or new ball). But when all 3 drops are down it will always reset (new game/new ball). Also in test the drop target resets without any problems. And switch test also gives good results.

UPDATE: found it, wiring incorrect; has to be indeed yellow/pruple + yellow/black. What was the problem, the opto's did not register the drops, drops were new but distance between opto/target was to big. Changed distance by adding some kind of filler, now perfect!

Schermafbeelding 2023-04-18 om 20.19.18 (resized).pngSchermafbeelding 2023-04-18 om 20.19.18 (resized).png

#20785 1 year ago

Installation of spinners and art blades underway, should post the video before and after, also changing some LEDs with different colours

57A5A31E-5594-4DBA-B9AB-30E06888386C (resized).jpeg57A5A31E-5594-4DBA-B9AB-30E06888386C (resized).jpeg
#20786 1 year ago

Forget to mention, also installing a playfield protector from Germany

#20787 1 year ago
Quoted from zpinman370:

Are these for sale or was this one a special order?? Does look badass I want one lol

I was told he just finished up the final run and I believe they were all spoken for. Worth a shot to reach out to him.

#20788 1 year ago
Quoted from Luis75:

Forget to mention, also installing a playfield protector from Germany

I had one on mine for a few years, only issue is the protector started to bubble over the sparky magnet and soon made a cup for the ball to sit in. You would need to give it a good bump to get the ball out of it.

#20789 1 year ago
Quoted from Luis75:

Installation of spinners and art blades underway, should post the video before and after, also changing some LEDs with different colours
[quoted image]

I'd love to see a full pic with those blades when it's all installed.

Also weird how bare the playfield looks with all of the plastics off, I had to look at it for a while before I realized it was the plastics that made it look different than I expected.

#20790 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

Also weird how bare the playfield looks with all of the plastics off

Purchase a filthy used pin and you will get very familiar with that view. Takes me about 2 months of my spare time to do a full top side shop out.

#20791 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Purchase a filthy used pin and you will get very familiar with that view. Takes me about 2 months of my spare time to do a full top side shop out.

Oh yeah I had a bad experience trying this once lol... I bought an old Tee'd Off that was in rough shape so I started disassembling it all and about halfway through I decided to stop taking pictures because it can't be that hard to put back together, right?

After it was stripped I got covid and couldn't work on it for like 3 weeks and when I came back to it I had forgotten where everything went. It took me ages to get it all back together.

#20792 1 year ago

After getting burned a few times, taking photos becomes second nature. Backing up the photos to the cloud or a hard drive is also a good idea if you really get in deep water.

#20793 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

After getting burned a few times, taking photos becomes second nature. Backing up the photos to the cloud or a hard drive is also a good idea if you really get in deep water.

Yeah, I've learned to take way more photos than I think is necessary. I also have started labeling every screw that I remove. If you take a piece of cardboard you can stick the screw right through it and then write the label on the cardboard. Makes it a lot easier to track.

#20794 1 year ago
Quoted from Luis75:

[quoted image]

Looks like that will be a lot of work.

#20795 12 months ago

I think it’s time to rename the club; “Metallica Owner’s Thread” is lame (I guess I wasn’t feeling creative that day). Any suggestions?

Still have my wooden-headed MET, still love it.

#20796 12 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I think it’s time to rename the club; “Metallica Owner’s Thread” is lame (I guess I wasn’t feeling creative that day). Any suggestions?
Still have my wooden-headed MET, still love it.

The electric chair!!! I don't know, but Sparky is my favorite part of this game so I vote for something sparky related.

#20797 12 months ago

Metal Militia

The Sanitarium

#20798 12 months ago

Still have my original June 2013 build METLE, also.

#20799 12 months ago

I bought my met pro in 2018, first nib, 40 yrs after I bought first game. I'll never sell it,

#20800 12 months ago
Quoted from gambit3113:Still have my original June 2013 build METLE, also.

Still have my NIB LE.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 12.95
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 149.00
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
There are 21,663 posts in this topic. You are on page 416 of 434.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/416 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.