C7302EC0-E40C-4401-A735-26261435813E (resized).jpeg
38320F75-D438-4EC6-B8F0-EA529FC5A079 (resized).jpeg
51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 415 of 434.
#20701 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Yes, likely add them to my store soon. Just need to get the sizing down and find some nice designs for different games.

I'll buy some when they're ready. I've been meaning to get some printed for mine for ages and have just been lazy.

#20702 1 year ago

I found one more set of NOS master of puppets decals (the cabinet side art only). if anyone is interested, pm me for details.

#20703 1 year ago

Does anyone know the location of the transistor for the loop diverter coil?

#20704 1 year ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Does anyone know the location of the transistor for the loop diverter coil?

It's coil #7 that corresponds to Q7. Interestingly enough in the Metallica manual that I have, #7 shows blank.
Screenshot 2023-03-06 192900 (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-03-06 192900 (resized).png

Spiderman VE manual to the rescue for quality SAM board info!
Screenshot 2023-03-06 192713 (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-03-06 192713 (resized).png

#20705 1 year ago

Can anyone verify for me that this is the correct magnet core for Sparky?

https://www.pinballlife.com/complete-under-playfield-magnet-assembly.html

Thanks!

#20707 1 year ago
Quoted from brewmanager:

Thanks!

If you just need to replace the mushrooming/dented part that shows on the playfield then this is what you want.

https://www.pinballlife.com/magnet-core-plug.html

What you linked to looks like the whole assembly.

#20708 1 year ago
Quoted from brewmanager:

Thanks!

The core is soft and can be grinded to new again if it is just mushroomed, no need to replace.

#20709 1 year ago

What balls do you use in Metallica? I'm not sure which ones I have in there now but they keep magnetizing and getting stuck in the coffin lock.

#20711 1 year ago
Quoted from sprite:

What balls do you use in Metallica? I'm not sure which ones I have in there now but they keep magnetizing and getting stuck in the coffin lock.

I had a bunch of intermittent issues until I switched to the polaris carbon balls and haven't had an issue since. Ball baron sells them.

#20712 1 year ago
Quoted from sprite:What balls do you use in Metallica?

Any pin with magnets should use the inexpensive type carbon steel balls. The more expensive chrome balls will magnetize quickly.

#20713 1 year ago

This question has probably been asked a lot but is there anything one can do in order to improve the hammer magnet on a Metallica premium/LE? It’ll only catch from a soft rebounded shot off the snake.

#20714 1 year ago
Quoted from splitcms:

This question has probably been asked a lot but is there anything one can do in order to improve the hammer magnet on a Metallica premium/LE? It’ll only catch from a soft rebounded shot off the snake.

The mag is cool but it has always been a little flaky! Do you have the og square block? some including me have had better luck with the ball!

#20715 1 year ago
Quoted from splitcms:

Maybe try a new magnet board. I know Stern improved them at some point. Maybe you have the old version? I have a late run machine and the hammer seems to work well.

#20716 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

I had a bunch of intermittent issues until I switched to the polaris carbon balls and haven't had an issue since. Ball baron sells them.

Thanks, ordered some from him.

#20717 1 year ago
Quoted from rockrand:

The mag is cool but it has always been a little flaky! Do you have the og square block? some including me have had better luck with the ball!

The hammer works fine. It’s a newer premium. It’ll catch and grab the ball if it’s a soft hit that bounces off something and rolls over the magnet. A hard hit to the coffin right over the magnet, it will not catch. This is the only premium I’ve played and majority of people tell me that this is just how it is so I was not sure.

#20718 1 year ago
Quoted from splitcms:

The hammer works fine. It’s a newer premium. It’ll catch and grab the ball if it’s a soft hit that bounces off something and rolls over the magnet. A hard hit to the coffin right over the magnet, it will not catch. This is the only premium I’ve played and majority of people tell me that this is just how it is so I was not sure.

That's not how it should play. Granted, mine doesn't catch every ball, but it will snag them pretty good. Keep in mind that it isn't always energized to catch and make sure you aren't looking for it to stop a ball when lock isn't lit.

#20719 1 year ago

Mine can be a little flaky too. If it travels too fast over the magnet it won't catch and occasionally it will trigger the mech to go down without the ball on it. From everything I've read this is normal. I also recall reading that there was an update to the game code at one point that made it not grab as hard, which also introduced the little shake the ball does before it goes down so I assume the way it works now is how Stern meant it to and there was some sort of compromise in the code.

#20720 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

Mine can be a little flaky too. If it travels too fast over the magnet it won't catch and occasionally it will trigger the mech to go down without the ball on it. From everything I've read this is normal. I also recall reading that there was an update to the game code at one point that made it not grab as hard, which also introduced the little shake the ball does before it goes down so I assume the way it works now is how Stern meant it to and there was some sort of compromise in the code.

Mine does the shake. I did also swap out the block for the newton ball.

#20721 1 year ago

The magnet generally can't react fast enough to a ball shot right over it. Rebounds off a captive *ball* are also usually too fast; the captive block does lead to a few more captures but I still leave the ball in place instead on mine, don't like the block.

Try shooting the fuel bar from right flipper, these sometimes rebound over to the magnet for easier grabs. I can sometimes do a nice combo of fuel -> lowest inline drop -> magnet.

#20722 1 year ago

anyone drilled out there Sparky magnet hole for the newer style cores? have a Metallica on location and it's getting to the point where I've replaced the core multiple times and it's starting to chip out the playfield. I knows it's been done before on other titles, just figured I'd ask incase someone has done this game already for pics etc. thanks

#20723 1 year ago
Quoted from GoldenOreos:

anyone drilled out there Sparky magnet hole for the newer style cores? have a Metallica on location and it's getting to the point where I've replaced the core multiple times and it's starting to chip out the playfield. I knows it's been done before on other titles, just figured I'd ask incase someone has done this game already for pics etc. thanks

and a few others have commented prior, you should be able to remove and grind the existing magnet core multiple time prior to having to replace it entirely. it just has to be ground flat and perpendicular so that it's level with the playfield when you re-insert it.

I would make a jig to hold the core straight so that it's ground down correctly

#20724 1 year ago

Metallica Pinball APRON WALL DECAL mod for Pro. Premium and LE coming soon. Available on Pinside market place
30079709-D992-4135-AADB-0E8702E2E7F9 (resized).jpeg30079709-D992-4135-AADB-0E8702E2E7F9 (resized).jpeg

#20725 1 year ago
Quoted from Cento:

Metallica Pinball APRON WALL DECAL mod for Pro. Premium and LE coming soon. Available on Pinside market place

Are these licensed to use Dirty Donny's art? Might want to check into this if you are selling them.

#20726 1 year ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

Are these licensed to use Dirty Donny's art? Might want to check into this if you are selling them.

Im in, if legit.

#20727 1 year ago

My Pro just randomly started scoring ramp shots when Sparky and the captive ball are hit. Any ideas where to start looking?? Maybe a micro switch on the ramp gate is overly sensitive and needs adjusted??

#20728 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thoughts in these new metal apron cards? Have a nice shinny reflective metallic look. Need to increase the size a little to cover the entire apron card area. Stay in place with double sided adhesive tape. Thanks.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Any update on when these will be ready?

#20729 1 year ago

My Metallica started with a weird issue today out of nowhere. I turned it on and it blew the 4amp fuse at f11. I replaced it and it booted up. Now when I start a game it instantly acts like I’m hitting the grave markers and starts a multiball? Any ideas?

#20730 1 year ago

Hi All,

I have a Met Premium. Magnets are locked on and I'm blowing Fuse F7. That fuse would intermittently blow when I originally got the game and I rebuilt the magnet board with a new resistor and three prong thingie (LOL). I ordered a new magnet board from PBL. Any idea what other issues might cause such a problem? Just looking for insight before the new board arrives so I can be prepared. Many thanks for any help.

#20731 1 year ago
Quoted from John-from-PA:

Hi All,
I have a Met Premium. Magnets are locked on and I'm blowing Fuse F7. That fuse would intermittently blow when I originally got the game and I rebuilt the magnet board with a new resistor and three prong thingie (LOL). I ordered a new magnet board from PBL. Any idea what other issues might cause such a problem? Just looking for insight before the new board arrives so I can be prepared. Many thanks for any help.

The magnet processor board should take care of your problem. Ck the part number on the board and see if it is the old style. New style is 520-6801-00. You can also check the serial number of your machine. If it is prior to #242584 then your game would have the old style. Here is a copy of the Stern Service Bulletin.

Service Bulletin #182
September 5, 2013
Metallica LE and Premium
Subject: Metallica L/E and Premium machines. New firmware for the magnet processor board along
with software version V1.22 or higher optimizes the hammer/magnet feature.
Symptoms: False hammer strikes. Or the magnet will grab and hold the ball for a brief moment and
release it without the hammer and disappearing ball mechanism activating.
Solution: Contact your distributor for a replacement magnet processor board # 520-6801-00. Please
note. Games manufactured with serial number # 242584 or higher will have the new magnet processor
board.

#20732 1 year ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

The magnet processor board should take care of your problem. Ck the part number on the board and see if it is the old style. New style is 520-6801-00. You can also check the serial number of your machine. If it is prior to #242584 then your game would have the old style. Here is a copy of the Stern Service Bulletin.
Service Bulletin #182
September 5, 2013
Metallica LE and Premium
Subject: Metallica L/E and Premium machines. New firmware for the magnet processor board along
with software version V1.22 or higher optimizes the hammer/magnet feature.
Symptoms: False hammer strikes. Or the magnet will grab and hold the ball for a brief moment and
release it without the hammer and disappearing ball mechanism activating.
Solution: Contact your distributor for a replacement magnet processor board # 520-6801-00. Please
note. Games manufactured with serial number # 242584 or higher will have the new magnet processor
board.

It is indeed the old style, thank you so much for the heads up.

#20733 1 year ago
Quoted from John-from-PA:

It is indeed the old style, thank you so much for the heads up.

We'll all be d*****. I've had the F7 blowing intermittently since ive owned Metallica LE199 NIB and I never could figure it out, it never happened very often, so id replace the fuse and play on. I thought i had checked before and had the new board I will be looking to that ASAP.

#20734 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

Any update on when these will be ready?

Thanks for the post. Plan to have a couple made soon for my games. Just working on the designs right now. Will post the photos when installed. Cheers.

#20735 1 year ago

Is anyone else constantly having to adjust insert led bulbs to get them to work? Seems like I always have a few out but they just need to be adjusted, the bulbs aren't bad or anything. The lamp sockets feel flimsy but it could just be my machine.

#20736 1 year ago
Quoted from Bohm:

Is anyone else constantly having to adjust insert led bulbs to get them to work? Seems like I always have a few out but they just need to be adjusted, the bulbs aren't bad or anything. The lamp sockets feel flimsy but it could just be my machine.

I only have two machines, both Stern and they both have this issue. I see it mentioned in the Iron Maiden discussion as well.

One thing I did that helps is to add a blob of solder to the bottom of the bulbs to help it connect to the socket better. I see some people stretch the spring out a little bit too to try and get it to connect more securely. I don't think there is any permanent solution though unless you buy better quality sockets and replace them.

#20737 1 year ago

Have a few more sets of the Metallica button protectors available. Have a protective film on them for shipping. $60US a set plus $10 shipping. PM me if interested. Thanks.

46C87181-CFC5-46DC-8417-C3D2B455A5A7 (resized).png46C87181-CFC5-46DC-8417-C3D2B455A5A7 (resized).png9846A9E2-4734-4A43-8D68-E9E4366E5F56 (resized).png9846A9E2-4734-4A43-8D68-E9E4366E5F56 (resized).png735FFB31-C5D7-4E7B-BBBB-F88F834C72B2 (resized).jpeg735FFB31-C5D7-4E7B-BBBB-F88F834C72B2 (resized).jpegF96D59F3-E906-4351-96E0-7EBD4D06B92C (resized).jpegF96D59F3-E906-4351-96E0-7EBD4D06B92C (resized).jpeg
#20738 1 year ago

Usually it just holds the 2 balls when I go for the superjackpot with a low powered shot, is this common?

This time is managed to grab all 3 and then continue to hold them after the countdown... and even after I turned the machine off and shook the shit out of it.

IMG_20230401_195515067 (resized).jpgIMG_20230401_195515067 (resized).jpg
#20739 1 year ago
Quoted from Acronymicon:

Usually it just holds the 2 balls when I go for the superjackpot with a low powered shot, is this common?
This time is managed to grab all 3 and then continue to hold them after the countdown... and even after I turned the machine off and shook the shit out of it.[quoted image]

Magnatized

#20740 1 year ago

Get new balls. And get the right kind, carbon core.

#20741 1 year ago

Picked up a decked out Metallica Pro and don’t want several of the mods so figure I’ll sell them. I have a tilt topper and what I think is a pinball decals sparky shooter rod (green with gold hat). PM me if interested in either or both.

#20742 1 year ago
Quoted from mettle64:

Picked up a decked out Metallica Pro and don’t want several of the mods so figure I’ll sell them. I have a tilt topper and what I think is a pinball decals sparky shooter rod (green with gold hat). PM me if interested in either or both.

Haven't responded to any PMs on these yet, but got a ton of interest overnight so consider them no longer available!

#20743 1 year ago
Quoted from Bohm:

My left orbit sparky insert does that. Once in a while I will fiddle with it but mostly just live with it.

#20744 1 year ago

Hi Guys, just completed another small batch of the James Hetfield shooter rods and most likely won't be redoing this design again. Main reason for this is that the paint used for the final dry brushing coat (Model Master Light skin tone in enamel) has been discontinued Can buy the acrylic version but i really don't like painting with water based paints, just don't get good results and it also isn't keen on the clear gloss lacquer overcoats. PM for details if anyone is interested in 1 of these (currently have 3 left) but in brief the price is $85 AUD and shipping to the US is $25 AUD tracked (Europe is a little bit dearer than that) Unfortunately that's the best i can do on postage price but of course that's out of my hands. Bare in mind that the US dollar is still heaps stronger than the Oz dollar so the price is not as much as you might think.
Cheers!!

DSC06041 (resized).JPGDSC06041 (resized).JPGDSC06042 (resized).JPGDSC06042 (resized).JPGDSC06043 (resized).JPGDSC06043 (resized).JPG
#20745 1 year ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Hi Guys, just completed another small batch of the James Hetfield shooter rods and most likely won't be redoing this design again. Main reason for this is that the paint used for the final dry brushing coat (Model Master Light skin tone in enamel) has been discontinued Can buy the acrylic version but i really don't like painting with water based paints, just don't get good results and it also isn't keen on the clear gloss lacquer overcoats. PM for details if anyone is interested in 1 of these (currently have 3 left) but in brief the price is $85 AUD and shipping to the US is $25 AUD tracked (Europe is a little bit dearer than that) Unfortunately that's the best i can do on postage price but of course that's out of my hands. Bare in mind that the US dollar is still heaps stronger than the Oz dollar so the price is not as much as you might think.
Cheers!![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow those look great. If I didn't already have the sparky shooter rod I'd be jumping on this one.

#20746 1 year ago

Anyone had scan or can scan this Plastics for Metallica LE ?
I’m installing the spinners on my pro and want to create this, but I need what I think a vector scan
Anyone can help ?
This are pics from plastics sold on eBay in USA
I’m from Europe and cannot find this plastics

C3A50A83-5137-401B-9737-1E9EA7341013 (resized).pngC3A50A83-5137-401B-9737-1E9EA7341013 (resized).pngF151CDED-8FCB-4044-B548-E08C16582835 (resized).pngF151CDED-8FCB-4044-B548-E08C16582835 (resized).png
#20747 1 year ago
Quoted from Luis75:

Anyone had scan or can scan this Plastics for Metallica LE ?
I’m installing the spinners on my pro and want to create this, but I need what I think a vector scan
Anyone can help ?
This are pics from plastics sold on eBay in USA
I’m from Europe and cannot find this plastics
[quoted image][quoted image]

It's super easy to add those notches for the spinners to your pro, so no need to buy entirely new plastics! See pics here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-hkd-metallica-pro-with-add-on-spinners/page/4#post-2149471

#20748 1 year ago

I have spare LE plastics that I can scan, but how and where would I take them to get done? I have no problem doing this, just dont know how.

#20749 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I have spare LE plastics that I can scan, but how and where would I take them to get done? I have no problem doing this, just dont know how.

Maybe just trying to cut the pro plastics exactly the same as the premium??? I was thinking of getting a scan of them so I could cut mine that way? If you do manage to get them scanned could you send them to me as well?

#20750 1 year ago
Quoted from Bulskis9298:

Maybe just trying to cut the pro plastics exactly the same as the premium??? I was thinking of getting a scan of them so I could cut mine that way? If you do manage to get them scanned could you send them to me as well?

Yea if I can get something done locally or myself yea no problem, ill just need someone who knows more specifics on what is needed is all. I wont be sending them anywhere and honestly, it looks like if a person takes time on the pro plastics, it can be done.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 21,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 415 of 434.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/415?hl=spelunk71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.