C7302EC0-E40C-4401-A735-26261435813E (resized).jpeg
38320F75-D438-4EC6-B8F0-EA529FC5A079 (resized).jpeg
51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 404 of 434.
#20151 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Hammer does nothing, just for show.

It does look awesome imo.. i already have so much other shhhtuf on mine(from spinny-vinny as well) i did always want one! Are you removing it?

#20152 1 year ago

It’s funny to see someone put a hammer on the pro…90% of the reason most bought the pro was they did not like the hammer because “ it blocked the view of the Sparky shot from the right flipper”.

#20153 1 year ago
Quoted from Pickle:

It’s funny to see someone put a hammer on the pro…90% of the reason most bought the pro was they did not like the hammer because “ it blocked the view of the Sparky shot from the right flipper”.

This is exactly what I thought when I saw that. All the "I like the pro better* arguments!

#20154 1 year ago

I had a pro before my current premium. I think I would like the clear view since it doesn't come along with the magnet/coffin/subway.

#20155 1 year ago
Quoted from Pickle:

…90% of the reason most bought the pro was they did not like the hammer because “ it blocked the view of the Sparky shot from the right flipper”.

I dunno where you pulled that number from! But i agree, i like the non obstructed view up there. I still want to add the lane indicator guitar pics under the right ramp.annnd change the songs..maybe powder coat one day! Then i'll stop adding shit!

#20156 1 year ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

I had a pro before my current premium. I think I would like the clear view since it doesn't come along with the magnet/coffin/subway.

Exactly…if you have the pro no need to add a hammer to block the view….it doesn’t really block the view to me. But to some it does so it’s a fair opinion and why some like the pro better. I just like all the features on the Prem/LE. And when I made the decision to get the Premium there was no LED Pro option yet….perhaps if that had been available I might have chose that to save a little but the cost difference was really not that much…got my premium for $6400 shipped. I think street price on a pro at that time was $4800-5200 and then $5200-5600 for the LED pro when it came out I think and they did a slight increase on the premium at that time if I remember correct…those were the days and we thought those prices were high LOL!

#20157 1 year ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I dunno where you pulled that number from! But i agree, i like the non obstructed view up there. I still want to add the lane indicator guitar pics under the right ramp.annnd change the songs..maybe powder coat one day! Then i'll stop adding shit!

That number is a guesstimate but there were A LOT of complaints about the hammer initially. Much discussion about it…issues with it not working correctly, blocking view, etc. sales for the pro were big…big enough that Stern made the LED pro. That was a huge difference in lighting compared to the early initial pro runs with the incandescent bulbs. That sold a lot more people on the pro…..and price was also a big discussion. The majority of people here were still not buying NIB at that time. People thought spending $6K on a NIB game was crazy at that time and a pro was still sub $6K. Metallica was probably the first LE to sell out day one and that was HUGE. There were several titles released after Metallica that the LE’s did not sell out the first day.

Both versions are great and that’s why Metallica is just a good game.

#20158 1 year ago
Quoted from PinFever:

I like the original block and won’t change it.

Cool. This looks ten x better though.

#20159 1 year ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I did not know the picks were available!

#20160 1 year ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I did not know the picks were still available!

#20161 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Cool. This looks ten x better though.

If they made replacement blocks I would probably stick with it but they get BEAT to shit. Newton ball looks better to be honest.

Ok mod makers…we need new original blocks. Make them and we will switch back.

#20162 1 year ago

Every tutorial I have seen tells the player to keep your eyes on the ball through the flip .That being said tge hammer , not anything else should block the “view” of the shot .

#20163 1 year ago

The and nor , please excuse

#20164 1 year ago
Quoted from Pickle:

If they made replacement blocks I would probably stick with it but they get BEAT to shit. Newton ball looks better to be honest.

I wouldnt.. that block is hideous lol. Why would you want it back?

#20165 1 year ago

I too don't like the hammer. I prefer Pro for this reason, but my opinion doesn't matter! lol

#20166 1 year ago

@ler

Quoted from Roostking:

I wouldnt.. that block is hideous lol. Why would you want it back?

I think the designer's intent of using a block was to make it more likely to deflect onto the coffin magnet.

Does having a newton ball make it less likely to come back down onto the coffin magnet? Mine already needs a fairly slow roll for the magnet to lock onto the ball, I could see it getting worse without the block.

Also I can still do some nice deflections off the block into the snake's mouth, I don't think you need a newton ball to pull that shot off.

My biggest issue with the block is how it gets that nasty wear pattern in it over time that looks bad, also it seems to put little flat spots on some of my balls. They feel almost dimpled like a golf ball after a while.

Quoted from Pickle:

Marco and some other part sites have replacements. My cube is all beat up, I was thinking of buying a replacement so it looked nice again.

#20167 1 year ago

Miracles are real ! I was having issues with all the GI in this game .They never worked from when I got it but with the pinstadiums and power blades I thought that was it for lighting .Then I noticed the backboard lights and apron flashers were never working along with under the slings etc. I soldered one lead at the back left of backboard that broke loose ,checked all fuses were ok , and re seated connections but did nothing .Then a big storm was coming through last week and I unplugged our pins .I turned MET on today an low and behold …..A fing miracle ! Can anyone chime in on what they think the issue was ?

41A8F536-E71C-4DA0-B511-FB6E0C2261C5 (resized).jpeg41A8F536-E71C-4DA0-B511-FB6E0C2261C5 (resized).jpegA06B8B35-2007-4A95-9757-3996344379DE (resized).jpegA06B8B35-2007-4A95-9757-3996344379DE (resized).jpeg
#20168 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

Thanks. I didn't need to take out the entire mech thankfully but I did have to remove the molded headpiece. I'm really just wondering if that gap that's showing now is normal or if I should go back and adjust some more.

I have no gap whatsoever on my snake with the fangs installed

#20169 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

@ler

I think the designer's intent of using a block was to make it more likely to deflect onto the coffin magnet.
Does having a newton ball make it less likely to come back down onto the coffin magnet? Mine already needs a fairly slow roll for the magnet to lock onto the ball, I could see it getting worse without the block.
Also I can still do some nice deflections off the block into the snake's mouth, I don't think you need a newton ball to pull that shot off.
My biggest issue with the block is how it gets that nasty wear pattern in it over time that looks bad, also it seems to put little flat spots on some of my balls. They feel almost dimpled like a golf ball after a while.

Marco and some other part sites have replacements. My cube is all beat up, I was thinking of buying a replacement so it looked nice again.

You still get nice deflections going both to the left ramp and snake jaw, and it doesn't look like s***.Personal preference though.

#20170 1 year ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I have no gap whatsoever on my snake with the fangs installed

Thanks. The teeth ended up popping out while I was playing the other day so obviously something is wrong. I'll have to open it up again and see what I can do.

#20171 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

Thanks. The teeth ended up popping out while I was playing the other day so obviously something is wrong. I'll have to open it up again and see what I can do.

Similar thing happened to me. I put a set of fangs in and had very difficult time with it. It was super tight and I had to loosen more than just the top screw. Then, after I installed it, one of the fangs broke on like the 2nd or 3rd ball I played. That sucked. That was months ago now.

Melissa at Cointaker was supposed to send me a replacement set but she never did. I had a one toothed snake for a while. I finally just yanked the thing out the other day.

147E22DD-AEEC-4563-8797-F7DCD6A66646 (resized).png147E22DD-AEEC-4563-8797-F7DCD6A66646 (resized).png

#20172 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

Similar thing happened to me. I put a set of fangs in and had very difficult time with it. It was super tight and I had to loosen more than just the top screw. Then, after I installed it, one of the fangs broke on like the 2nd or 3rd ball I played. That sucked. That was months ago now.
Melissa at Cointaker was supposed to send me a replacement set but she never did. I had a one toothed snake for a while. I finally just yanked the thing out the other day.

[quoted image]

Same thing happened to me but they were nice enough to send a replacement. It can be finicky, take your time.

#20173 1 year ago

My opinion Also doesn’t matter but here it is-I absolutely love the hammer and bash drop balls into the playfield and would feel terrible missing it along with all the other premium perks as in rising cross from playfield as well as the snake jaw that actually functions and the two spinners and all the light coding. So for me there is no pro . It is not an option and dead to me. Waste of good parts that could have been used making nothing but premium and le models. Honest thought I have when thinking about making a sub par model off a masterpiece

Quoted from mikespins:

I too don't like the hammer. I prefer Pro for this reason, but my opinion doesn't matter! lol

#20174 1 year ago

I had the pro and the primary reason I sold it to buy the Prem was the hammer pounding the ball below the BP.

#20175 1 year ago

You had to be equally as thrilled for everything else the pro lacked which is alot that you got when you upgraded

Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I had the pro and the primary reason I sold it to buy the Prem was the hammer pounding the ball below the BP.

I think the snake jaw operating could be equally missed and ramps up the gameplay

#20176 1 year ago

Metallica pro is awesome. Also, Metallica premium/le is awesome.

#20177 1 year ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

Metallica pro is awesome. Also, Metallica premium/le is awesome.

They are indeed !! Can’t go wrong and surprised they didn’t go even cheaper with a home model as this title exploded when first released like no other

#20178 1 year ago

My flipper coils are hot to the touch and fade a little after a few games. Not scorching hot but hot enough that you don’t want to leave your hand on it for very long. Is this normal or do I need to do some maintenance and rebuilding?

#20179 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

@ler

Borg told me to just use a sander to smooth out the block. Currently my premium has a Newton ball. He told me the block worked better for the premium/LE to deflect the ball towards the coffin magnet.

#20180 1 year ago
Quoted from OutlawTorn304:

My flipper coils are hot to the touch and fade a little after a few games. Not scorching hot but hot enough that you don’t want to leave your hand on it for very long. Is this normal or do I need to do some maintenance and rebuilding?

Flipper coils getting hot to the touch is normal. You should maybe do a rebuild.
At the very least:
1. Remove the coil stop
2. Clean and inspect the coil stop.
3. Clean and inspect the plunger.
4. Replace the coil sleeve
5. Reassemble and test

#20181 1 year ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Flipper coils getting hot to the touch is normal. You should maybe do a rebuild.
At the very least:
1. Remove the coil stop
5. Reassemble and test

That’s what I’m going to do. I’d be a little more concerned if one was hotter than the other but they seem to be pretty even.

#20182 1 year ago
Quoted from OutlawTorn304:

That’s what I’m going to do. I’d be a little more concerned if one was hotter than the other but they seem to be pretty even.

I don't think pinmonk has a kit for Metallica but you could always rig up your own fans on the coils. This helps big time with fade over time

#20183 1 year ago

I don't think Metallica has any flipper fade issues unless there is some other problem going on with a particular game. By design the standard coils work fine, even for extended play sessions.

#20184 1 year ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I don't think Metallica has any flipper fade issues unless there is some other problem going on with a particular game. By design the standard coils work fine, even for extended play sessions.

I have never had any issues with flipper fade on Metallica..have had plenty of games that last 30 min plus and always been able to make every ramp, orbit, etc easily. It’s a non issue on this game that I know of. Of course the ramps are always subjective…if you don’t make it clean you can get the deadly roll back but that’s any game.

#20185 1 year ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

One of the best "mechs" ever. Combined with an external subwoofer. EPIC.

#20186 1 year ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

At the very least:
1. Remove the coil stop
5. Reassemble and test

Are you aware of any links or videos that show how to do this?

#20187 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

One of the best "mechs" ever. Combined with an external subwoofer. EPIC.

Agreed. Adding the subwoofer made the hammer so much cooler!

Quoted from Roostking:

Are you aware of any links or videos that show how to do this?

This one's pretty good

#20188 1 year ago

That is a pretty good video. Just a couple things he did and didn't do. I would also clean the plunger with alcohol. No sense putting a filthy black plunger back into a brand new coil sleeve.

The other thing is don't take the glass on/off with the coin door open. It's a good way to scratch the underside of the glass. You can actually see the coin door moving while the glass is sliding across it in the video.

Also worth noting, this is roughly 1/2 of a complete flipper rebuild. That would include a new plunger and link assy, spring, end of stroke switch, and possibly the bushing and EOS actuator bracket.

#20189 1 year ago

If anyone is thinking about selling their Metallica within driving distance from Chicago please let me know . Prefer premium but may consider pro

#20190 1 year ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath: The other thing is don't take the glass on/off with the coin door open. It's a good way to scratch the underside of the glass. You can actually see the coin door moving while the glass is sliding across it in the video.

This... I got lazy on my TWD and didn't close it because I wasn't taking the glass all the way off.... and scratched my Invisiglass.

#20191 1 year ago

I do everything with the door closed because I read some old posts that said if you turn off Metallica with the door open it can blow some fuses or a board or something. I've been paranoid about it ever since, but since no one mentions it I assume it's not an issue anymore?

I ordered the pinball refinery creeping death art blades and light rails... they're going to be delivered in a day or two and I can't wait, they looked very cool from the videos I saw.

#20192 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

I do everything with the door closed because I read some old posts that said if you turn off Metallica with the door open it can blow some fuses or a board or something. I've been paranoid about it ever since, but since no one mentions it I assume it's not an issue anymore?
I ordered the pinball refinery creeping death art blades and light rails... they're going to be delivered in a day or two and I can't wait, they looked very cool from the videos I saw.

I beleive it was the sparky coil burning out.

#20193 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

You're gonna love it. I can't imagine my game without

#20194 1 year ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

You're gonna love it. I can't imagine my game without

Nice! I went with this over the pingraffix blades because they looked like they were sound activated and flashed every time you flipped rather than being tied to the flashers. The flashing being plugged into the flasher makes more sense to me

#20195 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

Nice! I went with this over the pingraffix blades because they looked like they were sound activated and flashed every time you flipped rather than being tied to the flashers. The flashing being plugged into the flasher makes more sense to me

I actually started out with the blades and now have the light bar mod along with the power blades. The power blades react just the same to the uv flashers, and also flash in increments with the music. Pretty awesome effect.

#20196 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

Hope u don’t get stuck w duty.

#20197 1 year ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I actually started out with the blades and now have the light bar mod along with the power blades. The power blades react just the same to the uv flashers, and also flash in increments with the music. Pretty awesome effect.

Same here. The strobing powerbladz kept setting sparky off no matter what I did. Switched to the UV light bar which was half as much.

#20198 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Hope u don’t get stuck w duty.

I've started using shippsy.com for most US orders. They charge a lot less duty to bring it over for you compared to UPS and USPS. I got some pretty bad charges earlier this year that were pretty much the price of the item itself so I stopped

Also in case anyone has the issue in the future here is how I'm dealing with my snake fangs. First I hot glued the spacer to the back of the snake's neck to help get the right spacing and not have to fiddle with it or risk dropping it.

I decided against gluing the post into the snake's head since that would make placing the fangs and spacer very difficult.

Instead I screwed the post in from inside the mouth and dry fit everything. Then I put a dab of hot glue on the teeth to keep it in place and fit the head back on. I let the glue dry and then took the head off again to add extra glue to keep it all in place. I'll report back if this ends up failing and the teeth come out again.

PXL_20220719_201358524 (resized).jpgPXL_20220719_201358524 (resized).jpgPXL_20220719_202448592 (resized).jpgPXL_20220719_202448592 (resized).jpgPXL_20220719_204032711 (resized).jpgPXL_20220719_204032711 (resized).jpg
#20199 1 year ago

I have an extra new Sparky shooter rod if someone is looking for one. $100 shipped. DM me. Cheers.

99D5B7AF-5DBC-4A52-B5B1-5D47222F14C6 (resized).jpeg99D5B7AF-5DBC-4A52-B5B1-5D47222F14C6 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#20200 1 year ago

If anyone is selling, I'm looking to buy a Metallica Premium (or Pro) within driving distance of Wisconsin...let me know, thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 29.95
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 29.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
There are 21,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 404 of 434.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/404 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.