C7302EC0-E40C-4401-A735-26261435813E (resized).jpeg
38320F75-D438-4EC6-B8F0-EA529FC5A079 (resized).jpeg
51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,664 posts in this topic. You are on page 402 of 434.
#20051 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

I was doing a lamp check and noticed that in the flasher menu #19 "grave marker flasher" did nothing when I turned it on.

That bulb is very dim in test mode. Knock down all the drops in a game and you should see it light up.

#20052 1 year ago
Quoted from ktm450:

The board is no longer available. It is run through the total lightshow board that gives the Pro the Premium lighting plus more.
If you are interested this is the Total Light Show thread and the post about the rising cross:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo/page/43#post-5072738

Thank you.

#20053 1 year ago
Quoted from RobF:

Yep. Just very slow to start dolling them out. I had my game at the NWPAS this passed weekend and wanted to use the show as another opportunity to stress test the design. I haven't unpacked since yesterday's teardown, but I will give it a good inspection to confirm it made it through ok.

What will you be charging for this mod?

#20054 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

That bulb is very dim in test mode. Knock down all the drops in a game and you should see it light up.

Thanks, this turned out to be the case. It just wasn't as bright as I expected and I didn't notice it at all.

#20055 1 year ago

I have a few more questions.

How do you tell if your sparky magnet is mushroomed? I get a lot of air balls off of it but I'm not sure if it's meant to be flat or raised. Is this the part you would replace if it was mushroomed? https://www.pinballlife.com/magnet-core-plug.html

I've also had an issue a few times where the coffin lock magnet loses the ball and it opens up with no ball to put down in the coffin. I'm not sure if this happens during normal play since the ball can come in pretty fast, or if it means there's a problem with the magnet.

And last is that I got this service alert. What exactly do I need to check to see what's wrong? I went into the switch test menu but wasn't sure what I should be checking for.

PXL_20220608_002141827 (resized).jpgPXL_20220608_002141827 (resized).jpg
#20056 1 year ago

Magnet should be perfectly flat with playfield, any airball is indication of a problem. It's almost certainly mushroomed, be sure to pull it out the top when replacing.

Magnet board will occasionally false trigger when the ball isn't there, NBD unless it's more than once every few games

Check the position-sensing optos around the moving grave marker, one isn't registering or is stuck closed.

#20057 1 year ago

I recently replaced my square box behind the hammer with a newton ball assembly as suggested many times by the community. Very nice upgrade. Thank you to all who recommended.

Since I couldn’t find the part in the US, I had a few shipped over from pu parts. I have two extra so if anyone is looking for one please DM. $25 + shipping (more/less the cost from pu parts). Cheers.

https://pu-parts.com/stern-newton-ball-assembly

#20058 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

Magnet should be perfectly flat with playfield, any airball is indication of a problem. It's almost certainly mushroomed, be sure to pull it out the top when replacing.
Magnet board will occasionally false trigger when the ball isn't there, NBD unless it's more than once every few games
Check the position-sensing optos around the moving grave marker, one isn't registering or is stuck closed.

Thanks. I see people saying to change the magnet core when the magnet is mushroomed. When I search for that all I can find is the magnet core plug. Is that the same part?

#20059 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

Thanks. I see people saying to change the magnet core when the magnet is mushroomed. When I search for that all I can find is the magnet core plug. Is that the same part?

Yes that is what you need. Loosen it from underneath and remove it from the top so you don't do any damage trying to go the other way around.

#20060 1 year ago

All of a sudden my machine is serving up two balls into the shooter lane 90% of the time. It will serve up balls while I'm playing randomly too. The coffin mech is making a noise and trying over and over to move... would these two be related in any way? It's a little frustrating this is happening out of the blue now.

EDIT: Looks like the weld on the ball trough is broken... going to have to see if I can find a replacement part. This looks like it
https://www.pinballlife.com/upper-ball-trough-assembly-2-piece-set.html

PXL_20220609_004217164 (resized).jpgPXL_20220609_004217164 (resized).jpg

#20061 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

All of a sudden my machine is serving up two balls into the shooter lane 90% of the time. It will serve up balls while I'm playing randomly too. The coffin mech is making a noise and trying over and over to move... would these two be related in any way? It's a little frustrating this is happening out of the blue now.
EDIT: Looks like the weld on the ball trough is broken... going to have to see if I can find a replacement part. This looks like it
[quoted image]

Every time I've had that happen, it's been magnetized balls.

#20062 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

serving up two balls

If the shooter lane switch was not registering it seems that would happen also.

#20063 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

[quoted image]

Check your opto boards in the trough. Go into switch test mode and see if they are activating by feeding a ball in the trough. Unplug and plug them back in, both sides. They may be failing.

#20064 1 year ago

WTB: Metallica Stock Key Fobs and Original Snake plastic. I can’t see the Roll overs with this Aftermarket Snake Plastic!!!

#20065 1 year ago

The double ball issue seems to be from that scoop having broken welds. The cable tie fixed it for now it seems. I tested them for magentization and didn't feel anything.

I just have to figure out this coffin lock issue now... it clicks like it's trying to do something when I start the machine and once it locked a ball the ball search went off and it ejected it back out the mystery hole. I haven't had a chance to lift the playfield yet and see if anything looks off.

#20066 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

The double ball issue seems to be from that scoop having broken welds. The cable tie fixed it for now it seems. I tested them for magentization and didn't feel anything.
I just have to figure out this coffin lock issue now... it clicks like it's trying to do something when I start the machine and once it locked a ball the ball search went off and it ejected it back out the mystery hole. I haven't had a chance to lift the playfield yet and see if anything looks off.

If you just held the balls together and tried to pull them apart, you won’t feel if the balls are magnetized. You have to put them on a flat surface, put the balls together and slide one ball across the flat surface to see if the second ball moves with the first at all. It doesn’t take much magnetic pull from the balls to really screw things up.

#20067 1 year ago
Quoted from Monk:

If you just held the balls together and tried to pull them apart, you won’t feel if the balls are magnetized. You have to put them on a flat surface, put the balls together and slide one ball across the flat surface to see if the second ball moves with the first at all. It doesn’t take much magnetic pull from the balls to really screw things up.

OK thanks, I a tried a paperclip to see if it would lift but it didnt. I guess it's possible the paperclip wasn't the right material.

I have some new balls in the mail so I'll just swap them when I get them and see how that plays out.

I'm hoping now that they are magnetized because that would explain my coffin issue. I just went through the test menu and fired off all of the coffin related tests but nothing was wrong so I'm going to have to take some time to figure out what's up.

#20068 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

OK thanks, I a tried a paperclip to see if it would lift but it didnt. I guess it's possible the paperclip wasn't the right material.
I have some new balls in the mail so I'll just swap them when I get them and see how that plays out.
I'm hoping now that they are magnetized because that would explain my coffin issue. I just went through the test menu and fired off all of the coffin related tests but nothing was wrong so I'm going to have to take some time to figure out what's up.

Have you taken the balls out and dropped them in the trough one at a time while in switch test to make sure all the switches register when they are supposed to? I only have a pro, but I would think you should also try this in the coffin. Watch the balls to see if they are getting hung up anywhere while they go through the trough.

#20069 1 year ago

A few light questions!

First two rows of lamp lights test don’t turn anything on. Running through lights 1-16 individually, nothing turns on, nor do they have any specific names (just Lamp #1).

I can’t seem to find any lights in test that activate the spider RGBs nor the front spots, but I’ve seen them light up at times.

Do the unlit rows mean anything?
Is there a way to test the spiders or the front spots?

#20070 1 year ago
Quoted from prentice:

A few light questions!
First two rows of lamp lights test don’t turn anything on. Running through lights 1-16 individually, nothing turns on, nor do they have any specific names (just Lamp #1).
I can’t seem to find any lights in test that activate the spider RGBs nor the front spots, but I’ve seen them light up at times.
Do the unlit rows mean anything?
Is there a way to test the spiders or the front spots?

By front spots do you mean the nearest to the player or sparky? The sparky ones are flashers and I thought the front spots were GI so they just stayed on all the time.

#20071 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

By front spots do you mean the nearest to the player or sparky? The sparky ones are flashers and I thought the front spots were GI so they just stayed on all the time.

Yeah the front GI I think. I’m also getting a lot of flickering of GI that I can’t seem to reliably fix with reseating, although I can temporarily fix.

#20072 1 year ago
Quoted from prentice:

Yeah the front GI I think. I’m also getting a lot of flickering of GI that I can’t seem to reliably fix with reseating, although I can temporarily fix.

Stern GI is known for being pretty from what I've seen.
I have less experience with these wedge bulbs than bayonet but I did find one or two of my flickering bulbs had wear on the pins. Replacing them helped.

I also read some advice that you can bend the pins up, wrap the wedge once or twice with electrical tape and then bend the pins back down and it will make a tighter fit which can help. Could be the socket too but in my experience it's usually not, it's how the bulb connects to the socket that's the issue.

For bayonets I add solder to the end to make a better connection with the spring and that has always worked.

#20073 1 year ago
Quoted from prentice:

I’m also getting a lot of flickering of GI that I can’t seem to reliably fix with reseating

Common issue on Metallica premium/LE is blinking/strobing GI. The fix is usually resoldering the power connector(header) on the node board. There are many threads about that on pinside.

https://www.google.com/search?q=metallica+gi+blinking+pinside&rlz=1C1GCEB_enUS856US856&ei=NJ6jYtmVCM6qwbkP4aiViA8&ved=0ahUKEwjZ__vl0aP4AhVOVTABHWFUBfEQ4dUDCA4&oq=meatallica+gi+blinking+pinside&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAxKBAhBGABKBAhGGABQAFgAYABoAHAAeACAAQCIAQCSAQCYAQA&sclient=gws-wiz

#20074 1 year ago

I just put a pinnovators external sub kit into my metallica. I have it for Iron Maiden and didn't think it made a big difference but on Metallica the difference is night and day. The bass was really lacking before and this really fills out the sound. Probably the best bang for your buck mod for this machine so far.

And Metallica isn't really bass heavy music but for the callouts, the hammer lock, slingshots etc it really adds a kick.

#20075 1 year ago

I’ve been trying to troubleshoot the flickering GI on a Premium, and noticed that the connectors collected by this Z-connector in the center bottom are extremely hot, even shortly after turning machine on. Fiddling with the cables it runs to (on left in backboard, nearly behind the speaker) seemed to at least Temporarily fix the flickering but the super hot connector is worrisome. Is this normal? How might I fix if not? Thanks!!
28851EAE-916F-426C-B59B-1B7D8DA2367B (resized).jpeg28851EAE-916F-426C-B59B-1B7D8DA2367B (resized).jpeg

#20076 1 year ago
Quoted from prentice:

I’ve been trying to troubleshoot the flickering GI on a Premium, and noticed that this Z-connector in the center bottom is extremely hot, even shortly after turning machine on. Fiddling with the cables it runs to (on left in backboard, neatly behind the speaker) seemed to art least Temporarily fix the flickering but the super hot connector is worrisome. Is this normal? How might I fix if not? Thanks!![quoted image]

I haven't heard of this but I have a Pro. Have you considered replacing the IDC connectors with Molex/trifurcon pins? I can't guarantee it will solve the issue but they should be rated at a higher current than those stock IDC connectors, which may allow them to run a bit cooler if there is any issue with the IDC connections.

#20077 1 year ago

What do you get for hitting the hurry up on the dead end lane when the spider arrow there is lit red? (I'm on premium so pro colors might be different)
It lights red when you hit a feature like a ramp and then hit it again with the spider light lit.

Is it just for points?

#20078 1 year ago

Thank you, any idea if this super hotness is standard at this location, or am I just bandaiding an upstream problem with the lighting strain? (Eg a bad connector or cable elsewhere?)

Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I haven't heard of this but I have a Pro. Have you considered replacing the IDC connectors with Molex/trifurcon pins? I can't guarantee it will solve the issue but they should be rated at a higher current than those stock IDC connectors, which may allow them to run a bit cooler if there is any issue with the IDC connections.

#20079 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

What do you get for hitting the hurry up on the dead end lane when the spider arrow there is lit red?

The piston shot is 250k, but if you combo it such as the right ramp and then piston it is worth 750k which is good points. Also the piston shot is how you start 2x playfield when its fully lit so save that for multiball or CIU.

#20080 1 year ago
Quoted from prentice:

Thank you, any idea if this super hotness is standard at this location, or am I just bandaiding an upstream problem with the lighting strain? (Eg a bad connector or cable elsewhere?)

I can only speak generally because I don't have my game in front of me and I don't know what those wires are for off the top of my head. I would not worry about moving the problem upstream. If the connector is getting too hot and it's due to it's resistance being high, then solving that issue will not automatically cause additional stress on other components in the circuit.

#20081 1 year ago
Quoted from prentice:

I’ve been trying to troubleshoot the flickering GI on a Premium, and noticed that the connectors collected by this Z-connector in the center bottom are extremely hot, even shortly after turning machine on. Fiddling with the cables it runs to (on left in backboard, nearly behind the speaker) seemed to at least Temporarily fix the flickering but the super hot connector is worrisome. Is this normal? How might I fix if not? Thanks!!
[quoted image]

At minimum replace the connector. Also replace the power connector on the RGB lighting board. This is a common point of failure.

New connectors should have trifurcon pins for added reliability.

I'm not sure this is the right size pin?
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CT156T

Rob

#20082 1 year ago

Is there any way to move the snake jaw up or to the left to prevent gravity from pulling it down and closing the switch when it is supposed to be open (jaw=closed)? When I adjust the jaw screw to raise it, it leads to the latch jamming.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-premium-snake-jaw-issue#post-6982714

#20083 1 year ago

Installed a Pin2dmd today, it looks pretty good.

Also I can't believe how much changing out the mushroomed sparky magnet changed the flow of the game. I was missing so many shots before without realizing it was hopping off the magnet and missing the opto/switch.

PXL_20220617_003308306 (resized).jpgPXL_20220617_003308306 (resized).jpgPXL_20220617_003311490 (resized).jpgPXL_20220617_003311490 (resized).jpg
#20084 1 year ago

What’s the current price ranges of a HUO METLE w Colordmd?

#20085 1 year ago
Quoted from DK:

12-15K

#20086 1 year ago

I'd say an LE is slightly higher than that. As ridiculous as these prices are, an LE isn't easy to come by.

#20087 1 year ago
Quoted from DK:

$16k is likely a decent price, some sold $16k plus.

#20088 1 year ago
Quoted from DK:

I was looking for a premium a few months ago and usually prefer them because of the additional Mechs and features. But I bought a pro on this title and I can honestly say I’m very happy with it and glad I saved my self at least 2k to 2.5k in doing it.

Prices are stupid right now and It’s hard to believe that a used pro of this game is going for almost as much as a brand new stern premium. I got lucky with one that had nice add ons and it was in excellent condition. No regrets on making the purchase.

Metallica is an amazing game. It doesn’t have a ton of mechs and ramps but everything comes together so we’ll. The music the call outs the sound effects… Amazing! I love it. I play it more than everything else I own right now, including my Godzilla premium.

42A369D7-360A-40DD-A88B-0E12C321C21F (resized).jpeg42A369D7-360A-40DD-A88B-0E12C321C21F (resized).jpeg94631412-1004-436D-8032-9DF6B0D2A6EB (resized).jpeg94631412-1004-436D-8032-9DF6B0D2A6EB (resized).jpeg
#20089 1 year ago

This nice LE with a bunch of mods went for $16000 back in November and prices are much higher since then, so figure an LE with less mods may go for 16k now.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/121971

#20090 1 year ago
Quoted from DK:

Welcome to buy my crazy premium for $13.5

#20091 1 year ago

I snagged a nice picture off the internet of original pinball art from Dirty Donny and I printed out a nice dust cover for my machine.

I know some people think covers are cheesy but I really get a lot of dust and stuff falling down onto the glass during the week when I don’t play my machines. So this takes care of that and I think they look awesome too!
4A06B6A1-2450-43C1-AD2E-EE904923CA36 (resized).jpeg4A06B6A1-2450-43C1-AD2E-EE904923CA36 (resized).jpeg533DD50F-F6B2-417B-8DAC-EA7511BE51AF (resized).jpeg533DD50F-F6B2-417B-8DAC-EA7511BE51AF (resized).jpegFA9A0052-0340-49EC-BF89-54BB7EF82232 (resized).jpegFA9A0052-0340-49EC-BF89-54BB7EF82232 (resized).jpeg

#20092 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

I snagged a nice picture off the internet of original pinball art from Dirty Donny and I printed out a nice dust cover for my machine.
I know some people think covers are cheesy but I really get a lot of dust and stuff falling down onto the glass during the week when I don’t play my machines. So this takes care of that and I think they look awesome too! [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I just did one too, I think yours turned out better than mine. I had that picture too but had to go with the GFs choice of course, and we like the pro model translite art.
PXL_20220617_164735484 (resized).jpgPXL_20220617_164735484 (resized).jpg

#20093 1 year ago

Anyone know if/where to get this translite?

0CF65CBA-A2AA-41C9-B617-C55152FA8C31 (resized).jpeg0CF65CBA-A2AA-41C9-B617-C55152FA8C31 (resized).jpeg
#20094 1 year ago

While we're on this topic,what's a Metallica Roadcase going for ?

#20095 1 year ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

While we're on this topic,what's a Metallica Roadcase going for ?

similar to premium price, I believe

#20096 1 year ago
Quoted from Apollo18:

Anyone know if/where to get this translite?

That is the one that Dirty Donnie made for James Hetfield custom Earthshaker retheme before Stern made Metallica. Not sure they are for sale.

#20097 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

I just did one too, I think yours turned out better than mine. I had that picture too but had to go with the GFs choice of course, and we like the pro model translite art.
[quoted image]

You should have asked me for the matching one.

#20098 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

You should have asked me for the matching one.

I should have! I didn't even think about it.

#20099 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

similar to premium price, I believe

I believe higher, because at the end there are more rare than the LE as they did produce less Roadcase Premium than LE's.

#20100 1 year ago
Quoted from mastercello:

I believe higher, because at the end there are more rare than the LE as they did produce less Roadcase Premium than LE's.

Yes maybe, but I think the outside art is not really desired, especially the translite.

Someone offered me that model for my Deadpool premium about a year ago.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 25.50
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 21,664 posts in this topic. You are on page 402 of 434.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/402?hl=medic7000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.