Topic Stats

• 17,208 posts
  • 961 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 minute ago by Ripshill
  • Topic is favorited by 369 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,947 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

LED-lights-metallica-bottom (resized).jpg
MET MDM2 (resized).jpg
MDM V2 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200121_210219 (resized).jpg
AD7C5EAA-16FB-4FEE-AA98-7714687D0538 (resized).jpeg
AD43465E-F523-4444-AAF5-8EF60E341772 (resized).jpeg
EBFC9F4E-6334-49DF-9FAE-9F4546D2FA26 (resized).jpeg
C983082E-5120-4A3C-9B68-EB491421D7E7 (resized).jpeg
3508fb180bb5eddd6ce77b68e97d976e00ff52fd.jpeg (resized).jpg
EF82459E-3D35-4C2F-A1A4-D5A5AF738B5B (resized).jpeg
12F2F3CA-9A84-4A07-8498-CDFCAD6BB449 (resized).jpeg
BDAA4093-FC41-4AF3-98C0-C8F4AFE06BC5 (resized).jpeg
5B2DBA3D-D33B-4FA3-B478-0C8902164D28.jpeg
08A2353A-227F-4471-B644-99250F8CD1ED (resized).jpeg
EE77AE9B-F9D2-4417-95C1-487A0003B0A6 (resized).jpeg
C2778CF1-BE72-4435-A7A3-956014D956D6 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 17208 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 345.
#151 6 years ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

Are most of these bulbs you replaced standard 44's and are there some 555's in here as well? Also what other bulbs did you replace as my Metallica should be here early this week and I ordered a bunch of LED's and have some others ready for it, but wanted to make sure I had everything covered. Thanks for the video as that really looks awesome. I'll try to mimic yours as best as I can. Thanks.

Good question as I loaded up on 44's but almost all are 555's, yes the GI too. Only 44's on the GI were the slings and lane guides, and there are a couple under the PF too. But, I would load up on 555's.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

Grats cleland! Game looks sweet! Wish I could bribe you with some beer and was just a tad bit closer

Thanks! I wish you were closer too as I always like Beer, especially IPA.

#152 6 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

Good question as I loaded up on 44's but almost all are 555's, yes the GI too. Only 44's on the GI were the slings and lane guides, and there are a couple under the PF too. But, I would load up on 555's.

Oh wow that's interesting. So much for my big order of 44's I placed on Friday. Guess I should have looked at this before doing so. Time to order a bunch of 555's. Thanks for letting me know. Also did you replace the 5 lights there in the back top row? I'm assuming there the flexible ones. Are they 555s or 44s? Thanks again.

#153 6 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

Ever have Firestone IPA? Yum!
Alright, where in LA are you? If your more on the north east side I'm gonna have to think about it

#154 6 years ago

mmmm ipa, now you're talking! the hoppier the better

#155 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Thats good beer! Have you tried the DBA and the 805? Firestone and Lagunitas- two of Californias finest products!!

#156 6 years ago
Quoted from denmark71:

Thats good beer! Have you tried the DBA and the 805? Firestone and Lagunitas- two of Californias finest products!!

firestone DBA is my favorite beer!!!
I like to make my own Black and Tans from time to time with Guinness and DBA. For some reason, when I drink that; high scores get crushed!

#157 6 years ago

I had some non-pin friends over on Friday night and they all liked playing Metallica. Saturday night I had about 9 pin friends over and we couldn't stop playing it. They all thought it was great and 3 of them are considering buying one. I really think stern knocked it out of the park with Metallica.

#158 6 years ago
Quoted from Wotto:

AV8 - the other FAST rip back is from the right side PICK stand ups back to the flippers
Most of your other observations are accurate.
Two things ( there has to be SOME not so good stuff right ! )
1 - NEEDS A SUB desperately as it is like listening to METAL music on a one speaker transistor radio ( well not that bad but Metal NEEDS some great bottom end )
2 - The Sparky call out 'can I shock you too' - sounds AWFULLY like Shaggy from Scooby Do , and in a game with decent audio , so far ranks as the number 1 cringeworthy piece of audio in the game

Typical Stern sound.

I said same of ACDC Pro. It was almost unplayable it sounded so bad! I have a set of FF speakers ready togo. It should be the first upgrade IMO. Huge difference.

WHY SO CHEAP STERN? HOw much would better speakers cost?

Call out complaints are really nit picky at this point. THey just made the pin. More important things for Lyman to worry about. Rules and lighting and glitches.

#159 6 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

I never use the Volume contoller. Just leave it in the box. It only reduces input to cab speaker. Which is not needed IMO. More bass the better.

This shows a misunderstanding of how the volume control works.

If you think "more bass the better", then you *need* the volume control.

While you are correct that it only reduces input to the cabinet (main) speakers, it does not reduce the volume to the subwoofer. Turning down the volume controller allows you to turn UP the volume on the machine, which in turn increases the bass to the subwoofer (without making the overall sound level too high). In other words it allows you to be able to better blend the bass with the treble.

#160 6 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Typical Stern sound.

I don't want to be too negative about this simply because the game rocks and this is an easy fix.

I too wish they would upgrade sound components, it's the one flaw I see in the game so far.
It is easily fixed aftermarket, but at some point stern should invest (even minimally) in upgrading the stock speaker system. After adding a sub to Metallica it sounds MUCH better, but for an audio head you are still missing some mids and proper highs. Out of the box you get only high treble and 0 bass.

To illustrate this, everytime you hit one of the pick targets when lit, you have a loud bass THUD alerting you the shot was made. It sounds great booming out of the sub. The problem is that with the stock speakers, you do not hear this sound effect AT ALL. Plus all the music sounds low quality.

Here are my comments on this from another thread:

"One thing I wish stern would fix is the cheap sound system they put in the games.
Honestly, Metallica sounds like it is being played through a shitty car radio 20 years ago.
Especially for the music pins, get the sound somewhere close to passable.
It would cost them very little to upgrade their stock components.
Even if they pass on the cost, people would pay it.
Those who care about sound end up paying anyway when they do it themselves.

Hell, my old demo man sounded 10x better than Metallica and it came out in 1994. Go figure"

#161 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

firestone DBA is my favorite beer!!!

Mine too! I will have to try it with some guinness. Have you tried Lagunitas Censored? Its a close second..

sorry if this is off subject, but pinball and beer are my hobbies

#162 6 years ago

Has anyone scored a snake super jackpot?
I just had a monster game and collected all supers but the snake.
I scored a ton of snake jackpots, but no super!
Is there a combo needed like Tron's light cycle mb?
Or is this just a roadblock to prevent you from getting to a not yet finished wizard mode?

MET_GC_1.06.JPG

#163 6 years ago

Does the LE come with a larger sub? I've missed this detail somewhere along the way.

#164 6 years ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

Oh wow that's interesting. So much for my big order of 44's I placed on Friday. Guess I should have looked at this before doing so. Time to order a bunch of 555's. Thanks for letting me know. Also did you replace the 5 lights there in the back top row? I'm assuming there the flexible ones. Are they 555s or 44s? Thanks again.

I did the same thing assuming the GI would all be 44's luckily I did order a bunch of 555's but I ran out of red which I would like to implement more. The back ones are indeed 44's, I did a mixture of white with 2 blues around Sparky. Have fun, looks so much better with LED's.

#165 6 years ago
Quoted from PinManV:

Does the LE come with a larger sub? I've missed this detail somewhere along the way.

Nope, they all have 8" subs.

#166 6 years ago
Quoted from denmark71:

Firestone DBA is pretty good, I like Lagunitas and Stone IPA even better and Sierra Nevada Torpedo and Ruthless Rye is darn good too.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

Alright, where in LA are you? If your more on the north east side I'm gonna have to think about it

I'm off the 210 Fwy in the North SF Valley. I actually don't think I've met an IPA is dislike

And now back to Metallica....

Quoted from RobT:

While you are correct that it only reduces input to the cabinet (main) speakers, it does not reduce the volume to the subwoofer. Turning down the volume controller allows you to turn UP the volume on the machine, which in turn increases the bass to the subwoofer (without making the overall sound level too high). In other words it allows you to be able to better blend the bass with the treble.

Well said Rob, perfect explanation.

#167 6 years ago
Quoted from movingpictures:

Has anyone scored a snake super jackpot?
I just had a monster game and collected all supers but the snake.
I scored a ton of snake jackpots, but no super!
Is there a combo needed like Tron's light cycle mb?
Or is this just a roadblock to prevent you from getting to a not yet finished wizard mode?

On my best game, the snake super was the one I was missing too, so maybe something is missing still. I will ask another guy who put up a 530+ million game on the Metallica here and see if he noticed if he got one or not.

#168 6 years ago

This pin looks fantastic, wish all the buyers lots of fun!

#169 6 years ago

Headphones, headphones, headphones...night and day the way you will play with a good set of over ear headphones

Stock amplifier will play good headphones 10x louder then you could ever turn the game volume up..

#170 6 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Headphones, headphones, headphones...night and day the way you will play with a good set of over ear headphones
Stock amplifier will play good headphones 10x louder then you could ever turn the game volume up..

True, but bass will never be as good with headphones, so it's a tradeoff.

#171 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

This shows nothing. Opposite is true. I have talk directly with Pupo about it.

I have install FF on SM, TRON 2 different ACDC Pros with excellent results. It is ONLY in line with the cabinet speaker. The controller is nothing more then a variable resistor aka pot. It only REDUCES the input to the crossover and cabinet speaker. Thus Increasing pin volume, Effectively increasing the input to backbox speakers. Some do not like that much glass shaking bass. I do. I was told bypass it for max cab (Main) input.

Is amazing how much sound is missed by stock speakers.

#172 6 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

It is ONLY in line with the cabinet speakers.

Correct.

Now think about that.

#173 6 years ago

Is it just me or do I need to move the posts in on the outlanes? I was able to put up some decent games at Mortimers. No dice at home.

#174 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

True, but bass will never be as good with headphones, so it's a tradeoff.

Try a pair of dr Dre beats pro... Love them. Expensive but good

#175 6 years ago

I'm really enjoying MET with the PinPac2 and my $130 Audio Technica headphones. I'm picking up a ton of SFX that are dropped on the floor by the stock speaker system. In Stern's defense...many of the Pros will go on location, where the owner will turn it down anyway. Sad But True. I'd rather have Stern keep the price down, and put all the money into the AMPLIFICATION section, which we can't modify. Based on how this sounds with headphones (and the PinPac), that's exactly what they did.

I've noticed something with the 1.06 code that I really like. When you play through a song, it DOESN'T start over when you drain. Instead there are "spawn points" (to use a current gamer phrase). Once you pass one of these points (several for each song), the song starts from there on the next ball. Think "Sonic the Hedgehog"...it's like that.

If you can't commit to the one song you picked for 3 balls, you probably have no business owning a Metallica pin.

Buy these and LOVE your Metallica!

PinPac2: http://pinnovators.com/index.php/featured-products/pinpac-2-system-description
Headphones: http://goo.gl/ahRkf

#176 6 years ago

I'm still in awe of this game. I know I'm in the "honeymoon period", but here are 10 things that I think make it better than my old favorite, Iron Man:

1. Holy mother of god, the dots are incredible! This is what we get when the theme isn't a movie!
2. More variety for the background music. 11 songs. It goes to 11...
3. The playfield art is better, and the new "HD" printing shows it off well.
4. More combos! 5-way combos are boss!
5. An Extra Ball that can be EARNED! Holy Crap!
6. Helpful "Instant Info" when you hold in the flipper buttons
7. Metal ramps, no chance of breaking. Had to replace the plastic ramp on my IM.
8. Inline drops >> Yagov kicker
9. Doubles as a jukebox when working on other pins.
10. MET code is beta - and already surpasses IM!

Now don't go sending me PMs about my IM. I'm not ready to sell it yet.

#177 6 years ago

Does anyone know if the Premium models will ship with 1.06 already installed?

#178 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I'm really enjoying MET with the PinPac2 and my $130 Audio Technica headphones. I'm picking up a ton of SFX that are dropped on the floor by the stock speaker system. In Stern's defense...many of the Pros will go on location, where the owner will turn it down anyway. Sad But True. I'd rather have Stern keep the price down, and put all the money into the AMPLIFICATION section, which we can't modify. Based on how this sounds with headphones (and the PinPac), that's exactly what they did.
I've noticed something with the 1.06 code that I really like. When you play through a song, it DOESN'T start over when you drain. Instead there are "spawn points" (to use a current gamer phrase). Once you pass one of these points (several for each song), the song starts from there on the next ball. Think "Sonic the Hedgehog"...it's like that.
If you can't commit to the one song you picked for 3 balls, you probably have no business owning a Metallica pin.
Buy these and LOVE your Metallica!
PinPac2: http://pinnovators.com/index.php/featured-products/pinpac-2-system-description
Headphones: http://goo.gl/ahRkf

This is good to hear as I have my PinPac2 ready to install once my Metallica arrives this week. Plus with my son in the house it will be nice to leave the adult language on while I'm using the headset to get the full effect! Can't wait.

#179 6 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Try a pair of dr Dre beats pro... Love them. Expensive but good

I have quality Sennheisers. Some cans are better at bass than others but what I said above still holds true: bass will not be as good with cans.

#180 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

9. Doubles as a jukebox when working on other pins.

Didnt think of that, good idea!

#181 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

MET code is beta - and already surpasses IM!

Doesnt take much to surpass IM lol

#182 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I have quality Sennheisers. Some cans are better at bass than others but what I said above still holds true: bass will not be as good with cans.

Great brand I have three different sets but the maestro model one is very good. Have one of there super high end ones I use for music and movies when I went to listen loud. My garage blocks sound well but I am tempted to get the headphone kit in my mople.

Really cool synopsis swampfire the dots look like such a leap up from avengers I'm wondering if they hired someone new or avengers was rushed out the door.

#183 6 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Great brand I have three different sets but the maestro model one is very good. Have one of there super high end ones I use for music and movies when I went to listen loud. My garage blocks sound well but I am tempted to get the headphone kit in my mople.
Really cool synopsis swampfire the dots look like such a leap up from Avengers I'm wondering if they hired someone new or Avengers was rushed out the door.

I've been wanting to try a headphone kit for awhile now. Got to bite the bullet soon!

#184 6 years ago
Quoted from Bearded_Warrior:

Does anyone know if the Premium models will ship with 1.06 already installed?

There will likely be a few code revisions between now and then.

#185 6 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

And "Raise the power"... Sounds like some Evangelical call out in Sunday Mass....

Actually it reminds me of Bender from Futurama.

#186 6 years ago
Quoted from Kevin_LHeureux:

Actually it reminds me of Bender from Futurama.

Also reminds me of that scene in Special When Lit when they are talking about the "Holy Pinball" or whatever that was...

#187 6 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

On my best game, the snake super was the one I was missing too, so maybe something is missing still. I will ask another guy who put up a 530+ million game on the Metallica here and see if he noticed if he got one or not.

I asked last night and yes, you can get the Snake SJ. He said it was the last one he got and it took forever, he isn't even sure how he got it, but it required at least 3 Snake MBs. All the lights were lit, but he said nothing stood out on what to do next and he didn't get a wizard mode or anything.

#188 6 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I asked last night and yes, you can get the Snake SJ. He said it was the last one he got and it took forever, he isn't even sure how he got it, but it required at least 3 Snake MBs. All the lights were lit, but he said nothing stood out on what to do next and he didn't get a wizard mode or anything.

I guess I have some work to do....
Perhaps to reach 'End of the Line', you also have to collect all band members in addition to super jackpots?
I'll see what I can do without resorting to 5 balls or glass off

Oh and 530 mil???
Either the game needs a wax and a slope increase, or that guy is the best pinball player on the planet

#189 6 years ago

I confirmed last night that the band members are lit by completing the pick targets multiple times. This may disappoint folks looking for band member modes. But we still have "Crank It Up" and "Seek and Destroy" to look forward to.

Does anyone know the significance of the red spider inserts, and what it means when they're lit solid after an orbit shot?

#190 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Does anyone know the significance of the red spider inserts, and what it means when they're lit solid after an orbit shot?

Combos I assume. Timed as in ACDC. Shows you were to shoot next.

I am hoping for a AFM Total Annilation MB type mode. Hitting all the shots 4 or 5 times to start it.

#191 6 years ago

Oh and 530 mil???

Actually, I made a mistake...it was 568 million and change...

He is a really good player. He's won multiple national tournaments. He is the same guy that has put up 1 billion+ scores on Avengers too.

http://www.ifpapinball.com/player.php?player_id=17

#192 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I confirmed last night that the band members are lit by completing the pick targets multiple times. This may disappoint folks looking for band member modes.

Band member modes are on the way!
The proof is in the band member call-outs:

Robert: "Hey did my mode just start?"

#193 6 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Actually, I made a mistake...it was 568 million and change...
He is a really good player.

DAMN SON! I gotta work on my game...

#194 6 years ago

Band member modes are on the way!
The proof is in the band member call-outs:
Robert: "Hey did my mode just start?"

Oh, cool! I didn't notice that. Some of the callouts sound like my work conference calls, so I miss them.

#195 6 years ago

I also noticed that completing any of the pop bumper count downs lights one of three lights at the left dead end shot for a higher scoring total when the shot is made.

edit:
Complete letters FUEL to light the red spider arrow solid at the dead end and the shot will award you double scoring for 20 seconds.

This will be a very useful strategy to exploit during multiball to double jackpots, as FUEL mode takes quite a lot of hits to get started (fill tank completely, hit FUEL standups to start)

#196 6 years ago

Can somebody tell me the part number for the led spotlight for Sparky? Mine is not working and I need to provide info to Stern for replacement. I do not have my manual handy.

#197 6 years ago
Quoted from MnHotRod:

Can somebody tell me the part number for the led spotlight for Sparky? Mine is not working and I need to provide info to Stern for replacement. I do not have my manual handy.

Manual says:

#555 BULB #73
Electric Chair #1 (L)
part-no: 165-5002-00

#198 6 years ago

Can someone go into the flash lamp test mode, and tell me if they see anything for #20 (snake flasher)? This is shown as an LED on page 13 in the manual, but the LED doesn't come on during this test. I just wondered if my game was missing a #89 flasher.

#199 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Can someone go into the flash lamp test mode, and tell me if they see anything for #20 (snake flasher)? This is shown as an LED on page 13 in the manual, but the LED doesn't come on during this test. I just wondered if my game was missing a #89 flasher.

When snake multiball is ready on your game, is there a flasher going off constantly behind the snake? That must be what that is for.

#200 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Just to rule the silly thing out, you have the coin door shut while you're testing this, right?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Apparel - Women
The Flipper Room
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
There are 17208 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 345.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside