C7302EC0-E40C-4401-A735-26261435813E (resized).jpeg
38320F75-D438-4EC6-B8F0-EA529FC5A079 (resized).jpeg
51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,663 posts in this topic. You are on page 391 of 434.
#19501 2 years ago

Try searching for TO 220. It looks like it may work.

#19502 2 years ago
Quoted from Bestshore:

Bundy
Thanks for letting me know about the transistor on the magnet board.
Any chance you know which transistor I can use to replace?
The original, I was told, SPP15P10PL, is no longer being produced.

You can replace it with any other 15A P-channel mosfet transistor. Eg TO220.
https://www.transistormosfet.com/transistor?search=SPP15P10PL

#19503 2 years ago
Quoted from Bestshore:

Bundy

I found a distributor that still had some left and put in an RFQ this morning. we'll see how this plays out. according to digikey, there is a replacement being manufactured, but they do not expect them for 1 year

#19504 2 years ago
Quoted from Bestshore:

Bundy

This is what I used. I think I bought them from arrow.com

I spent time looking at data sheets to determine this was a good replacement. It works without issue.

Pm me your address , I will ship this to you.
F432CBAB-65B8-49AA-B99A-DF8ABD80048A (resized).jpegF432CBAB-65B8-49AA-B99A-DF8ABD80048A (resized).jpeg

#19505 2 years ago

Out with the chrome, black in
9’ of t molding and about 15 min of time, super easy
E869A3C9-0D4F-4C44-BFAF-C9CC8FAC4BDB (resized).jpegE869A3C9-0D4F-4C44-BFAF-C9CC8FAC4BDB (resized).jpeg

#19506 2 years ago
Quoted from Enchantress:

Definitely worth the wait!!

Quoted from TronGuy:

This is what I used. I think I bought them from arrow.com
I spent time looking at data sheets to determine this was a good replacement. It works without issue.
Pm me your address , I will ship this to you.
[quoted image]

Pm sent
I totally appreciate all the help people provide here.

#19507 2 years ago

check your serial number to this one maybe you be lucky and get new board

Quoted from Bestshore:Pm sent
I totally appreciate all the help people provide here.

https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/sb182.pdf

#19508 2 years ago

What are the best balls for Metallica. I put Ninja balls in and the magnetized within 10 plays. Same with Titan super shinny balls.

#19509 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

check your serial number to this one maybe you be lucky and get new board

https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/sb182.pdf

I’ll check the serial number tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up

#19510 2 years ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

What are the best balls for Metallica. I put Ninja balls in and the magnetized within 10 plays. Same with Titan super shinny balls.

Don't use ninja balls on any games with magnets. These are what I use https://ballbaron.com/product/pinball-carbon/

#19511 2 years ago

391 pages! nice! wish I had the time to go through em all. Any Genius here figure out how to code the added spinners for a pro yet?

#19512 2 years ago

I have a strange issue going on with my MOP.

The flippers just die randomly. Yesterday the left flipper stopped working for 10 seconds. Today both flippers stopped for 10 seconds several times. Last week the fuse to the flippers blew. I replaced it with one out of an extra stern circuit board I had. I checked the coil stops, they are ok. All wiring looks normal.
Has anyone had this happen to them?

Edit: It just happened again and the power for the pin cut out for a second.

#19513 2 years ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

I have a strange issue going on with my MOP.
The flippers just die randomly. Yesterday the left flipper stopped working for 10 seconds. Today both flippers stopped for 10 seconds several times. Last week the fuse to the flippers blew. I replaced it with one out of an extra stern circuit board I had. I checked the coil stops, they are ok. All wiring looks normal.
Has anyone had this happen to them?
Edit: It just happened again and the power for the pin cut out for a second.

I would check the transistors on the power driver board. Q15 (left flipper) or Q16 (right flipper). it could also be an inline diode for one of those transistors

#19514 2 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

391 pages! nice! wish I had the time to go through em all. Any Genius here figure out how to code the added spinners for a pro yet?

My understanding is that there is no code, the spinner switches are connected to the nearest standup target switch on each side when added to a Pro.

#19515 2 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

My understanding is that there is no code, the spinner switches are connected to the nearest standup target switch on each side when added to a Pro.

That's what I have now, hoping someone can hack it in the future and add the premium code for the spiners. Well, figured I would check here, ya never know. Thanks and Cheers!

#19516 2 years ago

God Bless LFS and God Bless MET pinball !!! First good game today ,445 ,made sparky (2) ,snake ,cross ,and hammer MBs n played bell roles n another !!! This game really makes you earn everything !! I fucking love it !!!!

#19517 2 years ago

My kids do too ,but I might have to adjust some settings until they understand the code .They’re over the show and want higher scores now .What would you suggest to make easier and is there a way to easily flip back n forth from stock to what I set ? Any input would be welcomed .

720C0754-7CA6-43C1-B7D5-E262E3C1259B (resized).jpeg720C0754-7CA6-43C1-B7D5-E262E3C1259B (resized).jpeg
#19518 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

My kids do too ,but I might have to adjust some settings until they understand the code .They’re over the show and want higher scores now .What would you suggest to make easier and is there a way to easily flip back n forth from stock to what I set ? Any input would be welcomed .
[quoted image]

Give em 5 balls to play

#19519 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Give em 5 balls to play

They won’t get bored of this one but I just want them to play deeper a few times until they get it .

#19520 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

They won’t get bored of this one but I just want them to play deeper a few times until they get it .

#19521 2 years ago

Set it a 5 ,6 ,or 7 balls for a week or so. They will learn it faster than you then adjust back. Awesome that your boys are into it!

#19522 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Set it a 5 ,6 ,or 7 balls for a week or so. They will learn it faster than you then adjust back. Awesome that your boys are into it!

My boys are like me .They gravitate toward Rock pins .Honestly is there any better theme ? If they’re having a hard time knowing what they’re going for I usually make it easier just until they understand the bulk of the rules then back to factory settings immediately .Myself I like to take the glass off and toss the ball around until I get it then strap it in .MET with the insert pickups is incredible ! This pin just had everything you want!

#19523 2 years ago

My 16 year old knows met better than I ever will. We can be playing and he is making fun of me for my lack of strategy and proceed to explain the rules to me

#19524 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

My 16 year old knows met better than I ever will. We can be playing and he is making fun of me for my lack of strategy and proceed to explain the rules to me

I really don’t want to be that old man calling kids “whipper snappers “ but here I am Lmao !

#19525 2 years ago

Show them instant info if they don't know about that already. It's pretty easy to digest on Metallica. It lets you know just what to do to get the next thing going whether that be crank it up or a multiball. Shooting for the drops from a trap on the left is a good tip too. Have them practice hitting snake while grazing the captive ball to get credit for each.

Then just practice that scoop. It still kicks my butt.

#19526 2 years ago

Show them the super secret skillshot. Makes it easier to get to CIU modes which is where the big points are.

#19527 2 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

The spinners used to work with Mike’s Total Lightshow Kit, but on the last update Stern changed the code so they no longer work. Mike had programmed them to play different sounds depending on the mode you were in (i.e. when in fuel, when you ripped the spinner you got the engine roar instead of the drum roll) Now I have them both connected to the right pick target as I think that one is easy to hit anyway so I don’t consider it so much of a freebie when I hit the spinner and it is lit.

#19528 2 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Show them the super secret skillshot. Makes it easier to get to CIU modes which is where the big points are.

which one? the soft plunge into the lit right lane for 4x? (left lit lane for 2x)

#19529 2 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

which one? the soft plunge into the lit right lane for 4x? (left lit lane for 2x)

I think he’s talking about holding the left flipper when you plunge to allow the ball to come around the orbit. A lot of times it will go around, hit the left flipper and roll into the mystery scoop. You have to let go of the flipper once you plunge for it to work

#19530 2 years ago

He's specifically meaning hold left flipper, plunge around and then shoot whichever of the 5 main shots has all the inserts flashing (one will be lit per secret skillshot). If you make this shot, it will immediately qualify that lane for the captive ball hurryup, and that can greatly speed up getting into CIU.

#19531 2 years ago

I had a great game (for me) the day I learned Lyman had passed: 211M. I’m glad I had a chance to thank him in person for the code and the rules, around 2015. 8 years into owning Metallica, I never get tired of playing it. It’s a masterpiece.

#19532 2 years ago

ColorDmd users. Pics/videos/suggestions?
Did you go with LCD or LED?
Thanks!

#19533 2 years ago

I’m happy with my LCD, but some comic-book-like pins look great with the LED version. I could go either way on MET.

#19534 2 years ago

Lcd here. Easy choice for me

#19535 2 years ago

Does any one have a video of their lcd or led display. Been contemplating changing mine but don’t know what to get?

#19536 2 years ago
Quoted from HeavyMetalPoet:

Does any one have a video of their lcd or led display. Been contemplating changing mine but don’t know what to get?

Both are great - prefer smooth dots w/LCD on this title but believe LED option is cheaper.
Found two vids that may help:

LCD

LED

#19537 2 years ago

Good info!
Thanks!

Hard to install?

#19538 2 years ago

I (just me) think lcd looks stupid. Led for me and its awesome!

#19539 2 years ago

Keep in mind, the LCD can be set to display dots the same as the LED version. For me, some games look better in that cartoonie style (TSPP, MET, LOTR) some look best in dots (GB). LCD gives more options including brightness.

#19540 2 years ago

I like the dots xl setting on my LCD colordmd.

Rob

#19541 2 years ago

LCD for me. For the same reasons RobF stated

#19542 2 years ago

Met is one of those games that just looks better with LCD.

#19543 2 years ago

LCD with the scanline setting. I posted some pics not too long ago.

#19544 2 years ago

Some games really look awesome with LED. Here's what I've found so far:

Best for LCD titles mentioned below. These games just look way better in LCD

Metallica
TAF
MM
TOM

Games requiring LED:

Tron - #1 requires color LED. It matches the tron theme, Tron has the bling for it. Also, the display is super bright and you can see more. LCD makes tron look dim in comparison.

AFM - definitely color LED. Very bright greens, reds - LCD is just duller. Doesn't go well in comparison

Bally Corvette - LED all the way. Red cars, green colors, just fantastic for this title.

Here are some great examples of when to use LED.

#19545 2 years ago
Quoted from cjmezz:

Good info!
Thanks!
Hard to install?

Easy installation. The led display is pretty much a direct replacement. Lcd has to mount back an inch or so on spacers for sam games since it is taller. Thus you need the gasket mod or custom make your own to block the backbox light from bleeding in.

I don't know if you can adjust the brightness of the led displays but I always found them too harsh. It's like the contrast is dialed all the way up. Lcd is more balanced and more pleasing to my eyes. You have more options to adjust how the display looks as well. Dotsxl looks best imo.

#19546 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Easy installation. The led display is pretty much a direct replacement. Lcd has to mount back an inch or so on spacers for sam games since it is taller. Thus you need the gasket mod or custom make your own to block the backbox light from bleeding in.
I don't know if you can adjust the brightness of the led displays but I always found them too harsh. It's like the contrast is dialed all the way up. Lcd is more balanced and more pleasing to my eyes. You have more options to adjust how the display looks as well. Dotsxl looks best imo.

I would say that is more noticeable on a metal panel vs a wood panel on SAM games. I have had both styles and it didn't really bother me personally either way on the metal.

#19547 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Thus you need the gasket mod or custom make your own to block the backbox light from bleeding in.

I just use fat black weatherstripping. It looks fine once it's in.

#19548 2 years ago

Looking for some help .I’ve been looking for the Sparky flasher lamps (premium version not sure if they’re different ) .I have a bunch of backup lamps that came with it but not these and do not see them in Marcos catalog or anywhere else Ive been looking .

#19549 2 years ago

Maybe one of these ?

318B2920-9FAF-45E4-88A5-03A1FE720688 (resized).png318B2920-9FAF-45E4-88A5-03A1FE720688 (resized).pngB973AFB1-F2CC-45DC-B7FA-6C0A158F707E (resized).pngB973AFB1-F2CC-45DC-B7FA-6C0A158F707E (resized).png
#19550 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Maybe one of these ?

No, I would use the ones that just have forward elements.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 149.00
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 21,663 posts in this topic. You are on page 391 of 434.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/391?hl=bundy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.