2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg
IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,662 posts in this topic. You are on page 359 of 434.
#17901 3 years ago
Quoted from Electronmagic:

Is there a protector for Sparky's feet? I've seen another game where this happened and I don't want it to happen to mine.

I don't think so. There's the airball protector that stops balls from landing on his feet, but I don't think there's a way to stop the ball from hitting his feet directly.

#17902 3 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

I've asked before but got no real replies so hoping to find an answer.
I think my game is a bit buggy and wonder if a code reinstall is required?
When trying to light inserts, a shot to the block or stand ups at the ramp will light the 3 corresponding snake inserts.
I have tested switches and from memory all works fine.
Video showing issue. Hope it's understandable.

It's possible that the shock of a ball strike is activating the snake switch. I would try tapping on different nearby parts, knocking on the playfield, etc. to see whether the problem can be provoked without hitting some other switch. If so, look at adjusting or replacing that switch which is currently too sensitive.

#17903 3 years ago

Well well well....it's fixed.

Seems the coil that controlled the jaw of the snake was around the wrong way. I guess the impact of hitting the stand-ups was causing it to activate.

I only know the coil was on the wrong way because it had a tech alert that I missed that was not allowing the jaw to close properly. Had to check that out so by way of playing around, cleaning a sleeve and blah blah blah....its back together and no issues now.

#17904 3 years ago
Quoted from Electronmagic:

Is there a protector for Sparky's feet? I've seen another game where this happened and I don't want it to happen to mine.

Quoted from Fezmid:

I don't think so. There's the airball protector that stops balls from landing on his feet, but I don't think there's a way to stop the ball from hitting his feet directly.

I have not taken Sparky apart yet (waiting on all my mods to get here first) to see if there is anything we can do to prevent a cracked foot. This is also the first time I have seen this so it may not be a common problem. I offer the air ball protector (with slings and return lanes plastics) in my Pinside shop if interested.

#17905 3 years ago
Quoted from MrCleanHead:

I have not taken Sparky apart yet (waiting on all my mods to get here first) to see if there is anything we can do to prevent a cracked foot. This is also the first time I have seen this so it may not be a common problem. I offer the air ball protector (with slings and return lanes plastics) in my Pinside shop if interested.

Sparky’s foot broke off mine too. I used jb weld and attached a flat metal bracket to the piece that broke and his heel to fix it and it’s been fine ever since. Surprised more haven’t broken off, area takes a beating.

#17906 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Sparky’s foot broke off mine too. I used jb weld and attached a flat metal bracket to the piece that broke and his heel to fix it and it’s been fine ever since. Surprised more haven’t broken off, area takes a beating.

Which type did you use? Looks like there are quite a few that are similar. https://www.amazon.com/s

#17907 3 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Which type did you use? Looks like there are quite a few that are similar. amazon.com link »

I use the quick set.

#17908 3 years ago

Those with subs. You go into speaker-level or line-level inputs?

I found speaker-level too quiet...

#17909 3 years ago

I played Metallica last night and hit 7 combos in a row to start the game! I started tensing at 5, and completely bricked my 8th attempt.... and the next two balls. /sigh. It was a nice rush while it lasted!

#17910 3 years ago

A couple quick questions for the group.

1) I just got done cleaning up Metallica and I have this black spacer left over. I remember seeing when I took it apart but forgot where it went and my before pics dont show it.

2) Where can I get the Stern replacement LED (blue), I need two of them. I know I can just get any Blue LED but I would like to have them match all the others without replacing all the others. Marco and pinball life dont show them (#112-5033-05)

3) Sparky magnet ware: I have a new magnet core and I want to stop the art for waring any further. I was thinking to just touch up the paint and use fingernail polish (clear) to protect it. I have read threads on playfiled repair and have done some many years ago but nothing this modern. It was a routed game now in home use and I dont see it getting worse. Any pointers would be great. Also its not flat enough for a cliffy ring.

4) Game Play, why does the post behind sparky pop up when shooting the right or left orbits! This drives me nuts and the only thing I dont like about the game. I got the Premium because I love shooting the spinners and orbits. What am I missing here....

IMG_0947 (resized).JPGIMG_0947 (resized).JPG
#17911 3 years ago
Quoted from MrCleanHead:

1) I just got done cleaning up Metallica and I have this black spacer left over. I remember seeing when I took it apart but forgot where it went and my before pics dont show it.
2) Where can I get the Stern replacement LED (blue), I need two of them. I know I can just get any Blue LED but I would like to have them match all the others without replacing all the others. Marco and pinball life dont show them (#112-5033-05)
3) Sparky magnet ware: I have a new magnet core and I want to stop the art for waring any further. I was thinking to just touch up the paint and use fingernail polish (clear) to protect it. I have read threads on playfiled repair and have done some many years ago but nothing this modern. It was a routed game now in home use and I dont see it getting worse. Any pointers would be great. Also its not flat enough for a cliffy ring.
4) Game Play, why does the post behind sparky pop up when shooting the right or left orbits! This drives me nuts and the only thing I dont like about the game. I got the Premium because I love shooting the spinners and orbits. What am I missing here....[quoted image]

I'll go through my pics later and see if I can find the plastic spacer. That LED has "CT" on it. I believe that is Cointaker. Reach out to them.

#17912 3 years ago
Quoted from MrCleanHead:

Game Play, why does the post behind sparky pop up when shooting the right or left orbits!

As you advance through the game, the post does not always pop up.

#17913 3 years ago
Quoted from MrCleanHead:

4) Game Play, why does the post behind sparky pop up when shooting the right or left orbits! This drives me nuts and the only thing I dont like about the game. I got the Premium because I love shooting the spinners and orbits. What am I missing here....[quoted image]

The bulbs are Coin Taker bulbs, you can tell by the CT on them. Replacement bulb is here - https://cointaker.com/products/555-2led

#17914 3 years ago

Post behind sparky pops up as long as you arent shooting a combo. Intent is to allow the ball into the pops. Theres no real way to shoot into the pops otherwise. If you are in combo the post stays down i think to allow you to get that ball screaming back at ya.

#17915 3 years ago
Quoted from MrCleanHead:

DSCF7037 (resized).JPGDSCF7037 (resized).JPG
#17916 3 years ago

Thanks for the pic and the info guys! Spacer back on game and bulbs ordered Now to figure out what is the simplest solution for my sparky magnet ware...

#17917 3 years ago

I would put a carbon fiber ring from Cliffy around the magnets

#17918 3 years ago

Still my #1 fav game to play . And I love The Roadcase Premium The Best , Such a Rare Bird it is, I have only seen 2 others ever , Wish i knew how many were out there

#17919 3 years ago

Hey Guys, I have recently picked up a Met pro from 2013, probably routed at one point, but in good condition overall.

The shooter / plunger is having trouble getting the ball to the top of the playfield for the skill shot. It seems like spring is weak or maybe the bushing for the rod is worn out. Has anyone had this problem before and can you suggest a fix?

The auto plunger solenoid shots the ball all the way around the orbit shot

Thanks

#17920 3 years ago
Quoted from freshjive:

Hey Guys, I have recently picked up a Met pro from 2013, probably routed at one point, but in good condition overall.
The shooter / plunger is having trouble getting the ball to the top of the playfield for the skill shot. It seems like spring is weak or maybe the bushing for the rod is worn out. Has anyone had this problem before and can you suggest a fix?
The auto plunger solenoid shots the ball all the way around the orbit shot
Thanks

Make sure the shooter tip is intact.
Make sure the ball is not hanging up on the rollover switch.
Make sure the shooter tip is centered on the ball, there is some adjustment in the housing.

I had a loose screw on my autoplunger at one point. I don't think that is your issue, but it's worth checking.

The springs are cheap as well, it wouldn't hurt to replace them.

#17921 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Make sure the shooter tip is intact.
Make sure the ball is not hanging up on the rollover switch.
Make sure the shooter tip is centered on the ball, there is some adjustment in the housing.
I had a loose screw on my autoplunger at one point. I don't think that is your issue, but it's worth checking.
The springs are cheap as well, it wouldn't hurt to replace them.

I've tried the washers, stiffer spring, and adjusting shooter. I don't think the shooter can be adjusted since it's firmly mounted in place. The other stuff kind of helps. It will work sometimes but most of the time not. This game is really starting to frustrate me. Not sure it's even possible to get this game to play right.

#17922 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I've tried the washers, stiffer spring, and adjusting shooter. I don't think the shooter can be adjusted since it's firmly mounted in place. The other stuff kind of helps. It will work sometimes but most of the time not. This game is really starting to frustrate me. Not sure it's even possible to get this game to play right.

you can easily adjust the position of the shooter by loosening the four nuts inside the cabinet that hold the shooter housing in place and nudging it slightly in the direction needed so it is centered on the ball.

#17923 3 years ago

Pull plunger out and check for clear easy movement in the housing. I got a burr in acdc, ran a drill thru it just to clean, not enlarge . DONT MAKE IT BIGGER

#17924 3 years ago

I pushed twisted drill bit pretty much by hand, not using drill motor much at all.

#17925 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I pushed twisted drill bit pretty much by hand, not using drill motor much at all.

Not sure how a burr would end up in there, but maybe a round file would be less violent?

#17926 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

You can absolutely adjust the entire assembly. It may be stuck on the cabinet so persuade it a bit. It’s either that or you have the wrong length shooter rod or spring. Here’s some pics for reference.

336D4CAA-5EB6-4AA0-80B5-6CA2206AB4D9 (resized).jpeg336D4CAA-5EB6-4AA0-80B5-6CA2206AB4D9 (resized).jpegD88B5B57-1EFF-4B8D-9D66-A9EAF5F87EE8 (resized).jpegD88B5B57-1EFF-4B8D-9D66-A9EAF5F87EE8 (resized).jpeg
#17927 3 years ago

I put a little citrus degreaser on a cloth and wipe down the shooter rod every now and again when it starts to get a little “tight”.

#17928 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Not sure how a burr would end up in there, but maybe a round file would be less violent?

I dont know either, brass burr fell out. I put bit in chuck and turned by hand. Exact size so was easy to do. 2 years ago, hasn't been out since.

#17929 3 years ago

I've always cleaned/lubed shooter rods with a silicone spray like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/CRC-Heavy-Duty-Silicone-Lubricant-11-Wt-Oz/16817419
If it looks particularly nasty when I get a game, I'll take the rod out and polish it first (metal polish on a rag, spin it with a drill).

Problems getting a good manual launch are almost always due to the rod not being centered on the ball. Seen this a lot on newer Stern machines... right out of the box. Seems their assembly needs a little better QC. Moving the shooter housing is not always easy either.

#17930 3 years ago

My shooter rod was occasionally hitting the auto plunger. Auto plunger had a lot of play in it (side to side). I opened it up a bit to give plunger more room.

#17931 3 years ago

To update this, my rubber plunger tip was too short (must have been aftermarket replacement). I removed the rubber tip, added a spacer into it and reinstalled. I also added some sillicon spray lube to the plunger rod and its like new! In fact its too good now.

I am now having troubles with the grave markers not dropping on direct hits. I did some reading and the previous owner already did the spring mod. Does anyone else have some suggestions to fix the direct hits no dropping targets?

#17932 3 years ago
Quoted from freshjive:

I am now having troubles with the grave markers not dropping on direct hits. I did some reading and the previous owner already did the spring mod. Does anyone else have some suggestions to fix the direct hits no dropping targets?

I have this issue after cleaning and waxing the playfield. After a handful of games, it gets better for me. Not sure if you're in the same boat there or not.

#17933 3 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I have this issue after cleaning and waxing the playfield. After a handful of games, it gets better for me. Not sure if you're in the same boat there or not.

Exactly. The ball is moving too fast. Just play your game and let it get a little dirty and those drops should start working perfectly.

#17934 3 years ago
Quoted from freshjive:

The only thing you can do is shorten the springs a bit.

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Exactly. The ball is moving too fast. Just play your game and let it get a little dirty and those drops should start working perfectly.

Correct! Slightly increasing the pitch can also help. I just reset my Metallica to 6.7/6.8 because it felt way too floaty at 6.5.

Rob

#17935 3 years ago

Thanks guys, you have been very helpful.
Ill try these out tonight!

#17936 3 years ago

Going through my parts, I have an extra coindoor keychain , $10 shipped anywhere US except AI, HI.

PM me if you want it.

IMG_3979 (resized).JPGIMG_3979 (resized).JPG
#17937 3 years ago

Wonder if I can get some help. Playing today my premium and I notice the sound fading in and out and maybe a bit of crackling noise. Is there any particular connectors I should look at etc. It also affected the speech side as well as music

#17938 3 years ago

So I have never played Ironman, but I do like the theme. I have an opportunity to sell my Metallica pro to buy a new Ironman vault edition. I am on the fence about what I should do.
I like the look (art) of Metallica better, but I am not sure about everything else. They both have the same amount of toys, 3 each including 1 bash toy each. Metallica has 3 drop targets while Ironman has none, but Ironman has 3 spinners and Metallica has none.
As for rules, I know Metallica and the crank it up modes are great, but I don’t really know Ironman rules enough to compare?
As for game play , Metallica shots are tight, but not having played Ironman I don’t know how it shoots?
In the end I would put a lot of emphasis on is it “fun” ? Some people say Metallica is like chopping wood, is Ironman like this?
So if any of you have both of these games or are familiar with both of these machines I would appreciate some feedback. My window of opportunity to sell my Metallica is small so I have to make a decision very soon.
Thanks
Mike

#17939 3 years ago

I would keep MET. Iron Man is fast and fun, but the scoring seems off to me when I played on location, and it just wasn't as deep as MET. Plus the pixels kinda sucked, but maybe they're better on vault? I wouldn't mind having in Iron Man to play with MET, but I wouldn't trade my MET for it.

#17940 3 years ago

Iron man is fast and brutal. Metallica is much deeper to play and still fast.

I love Ironman but wouldn't trade metallica for one.

#17941 3 years ago

Sparky pic

A86D7900-A308-456E-B22E-04FB3AA23B2B (resized).jpegA86D7900-A308-456E-B22E-04FB3AA23B2B (resized).jpeg
#17942 3 years ago

Metallica is kinda basic. Iron Man is VERY basic. No way I'd part with Met for IM.

#17943 3 years ago
Quoted from Sixmillion:

So I have never played Ironman, but I do like the theme. I have an opportunity to sell my Metallica pro to buy a new Ironman vault edition. I am on the fence about what I should do.
I like the look (art) of Metallica better, but I am not sure about everything else. They both have the same amount of toys, 3 each including 1 bash toy each. Metallica has 3 drop targets while Ironman has none, but Ironman has 3 spinners and Metallica has none.
As for rules, I know Metallica and the crank it up modes are great, but I don’t really know Ironman rules enough to compare?
As for game play , Metallica shots are tight, but not having played Ironman I don’t know how it shoots?
In the end I would put a lot of emphasis on is it “fun” ? Some people say Metallica is like chopping wood, is Ironman like this?
So if any of you have both of these games or are familiar with both of these machines I would appreciate some feedback. My window of opportunity to sell my Metallica is small so I have to make a decision very soon.
Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike. I own both MET and IM, so I’ll give my opinion. First, the easy part, I love both games. But they are very different animals.

IM is a spectacular “quick hit”. You can play 3 games in 10 minutes and reach the depths and the heights of pinball satisfaction or anger. It is amazing how quickly it can suck you in, because it is just a fight. IM provides pinball satisfaction, but needs other games around it. It’s not a great standalone game. It’s shallow, but oh, so fun.

MET is a great “all around” game because it’s got a LOT to do. There are tons of different ways to play it. Some days I do “Sparky all day”. Other days it’s all about CIU. Sometimes it’s Snake Multiball, or Seek And Destroy, or Lady Justice. It’s got a lot going on. And the best part of that is that I can approach he game differently any time I want to. It’s a basher, it’s a shooter, it can play whatever type of thing your in the mood for.

So overall, I think MET is the better game. That’s not selling IM short, but MET has much more variety. I tend to follow a path on IM that is a bit too locked in. I’m qualifying drones, raising Monger, starting Warmachine, starting Monger. It’s wonderful to “do the thing”, and collecting DoD hurryup Right into Jericho is a blast. But if I could only have one of those two games, it would be MET. YMMV.

#17944 3 years ago

Changed my T moulding to prepare for green powdercoating. Noticed that the slot on this game was wider than any other pin I have, so used electrical tape on the T to give it some bite.

26B0DDC7-5F55-464C-88C7-E848392719B5 (resized).jpeg26B0DDC7-5F55-464C-88C7-E848392719B5 (resized).jpeg48CE7DA0-05CD-4B07-97A8-D32B30052F91 (resized).jpeg48CE7DA0-05CD-4B07-97A8-D32B30052F91 (resized).jpeg7C672B64-A51E-4B3F-BD8D-3616BA8CFCFE (resized).jpeg7C672B64-A51E-4B3F-BD8D-3616BA8CFCFE (resized).jpegCDF69862-D22A-47F7-B262-5C962A537736 (resized).jpegCDF69862-D22A-47F7-B262-5C962A537736 (resized).jpegF3D6F189-0AE9-4F28-9344-B2AE94FCF38A (resized).jpegF3D6F189-0AE9-4F28-9344-B2AE94FCF38A (resized).jpeg

#17945 3 years ago
Quoted from Sixmillion:

Thanks
Mike

Is it that hard to sell a game in Canada? When I list a game it almost always sells in a day or 2.

#17946 3 years ago

6.5 years of ownership, game still rocks!

#17947 3 years ago
Quoted from Sixmillion:

Thanks
Mike

The scoring is a mess in iron man, extremely unbalanced. The game shoots well, but unless you get to Jericho or the DoD hurry up, your scores will never break much above 30 mil. It’s more about progression, but parts of the game are not attainable on 3 ball, at least not by a mere mortal. Metallica is a much more balanced and fun game.

#17948 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Hi Mike. I own both MET and IM, so I’ll give my opinion. First, the easy part, I love both games. But they are very different animals.
IM is a spectacular “quick hit”. You can play 3 games in 10 minutes and reach the depths and the heights of pinball satisfaction or anger. It is amazing how quickly it can suck you in, because it is just a fight. IM provides pinball satisfaction, but needs other games around it. It’s not a great standalone game. It’s shallow, but oh, so fun.
MET is a great “all around” game because it’s got a LOT to do. There are tons of different ways to play it. Some days I do “Sparky all day”. Other days it’s all about CIU. Sometimes it’s Snake Multiball, or Seek And Destroy, or Lady Justice. It’s got a lot going on. And the best part of that is that I can approach he game differently any time I want to. It’s a basher, it’s a shooter, it can play whatever type of thing your in the mood for.
So overall, I think MET is the better game. That’s not selling IM short, but MET has much more variety. I tend to follow a path on IM that is a bit too locked in. I’m qualifying drones, raising Monger, starting Warmachine, starting Monger. It’s wonderful to “do the thing”, and collecting DoD hurryup Right into Jericho is a blast. But if I could only have one of those two games, it would be MET. YMMV.

Hi Dave, you mentioned that Ironman is oh so fun, would you say you have more “fun” playing it than Metallica? I have fun playing Metallica, but would I have more fun playing Ironman I don’t know.

I only have just the 1 machine so nothing to compare it to. I bought my Metallica new in box 2 years ago, but perhaps no matter which game you have in a 1 machine collection the “freshness wears off “

I know for art, hands down Metallica. As for the stock lighting and sounds, which is better?

Thanks
Mike

#17949 3 years ago

Hey all,

Hopefully one of you fellow Metallica family members can help me with my newly acquired Metallica Le. I am unable to update my game code, after multiple USB attempts (fat32 format) bin files from stern, it doesn’t seem to get recognised as per pics. I have recently purchased a new epprom just in case that was the issue. Any tips? Thank you in advanced!!

023AF4BA-8E90-4689-BCA3-291818013919 (resized).jpeg023AF4BA-8E90-4689-BCA3-291818013919 (resized).jpegCF1AF728-E0B9-4236-966A-8CA90E58CFB2 (resized).jpegCF1AF728-E0B9-4236-966A-8CA90E58CFB2 (resized).jpegDD62E0C0-5E35-44AC-8427-14D94C9BDDC8 (resized).jpegDD62E0C0-5E35-44AC-8427-14D94C9BDDC8 (resized).jpeg
#17950 3 years ago

What's up with Sparky's head?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 29.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 149.00
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 21,662 posts in this topic. You are on page 359 of 434.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/359 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.