met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg
IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,649 posts in this topic. You are on page 357 of 433.
#17801 3 years ago

Technically, the packaging says 'BALLY/WMS - STERN - STERN SPIKE', so thinking these are not actually made specifically for the Spike system.

#17802 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Technically, the packaging says 'BALLY/WMS - STERN - STERN SPIKE', so thinking these are not actually made specifically for the Spike system.

That's a good point. I'm honestly not sure that plugging them in caused anything.

#17803 3 years ago

Did you ask the supplier for help?

#17804 3 years ago

A week or so ago i was asking for suggestions for reducing the glare from the playfield reflected back to me off my new colordmd on my wooden backbox met pro.

Have tried glare filters from a couple sites and didnt really help too much. They seemed to have the effect of making a long line out of each GI led. So better in some ways but worse in others

I settled on doing a combo of two suggestions from yall.
1) a bent plastic installed.
2) i removed the clear plastic panel from in front of the color dmd

Combo of both these seems to be doing the trick. Thanks for everyone that gave me feedback and suggestions.

There is some muted reflections of light on the bent plastic itself, but nothing on the dmd anymore.

4AFE37E0-1598-42D2-8022-85F72BB2565E (resized).jpeg4AFE37E0-1598-42D2-8022-85F72BB2565E (resized).jpeg
#17805 3 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Ok here you go. The SRAM is the Cyprus chip. Clip to the opposite corners as shown in the picture. If you do not have microclips, these probably will work; amazon.com link »
You didn't need to short anything to corrupt the memory. I ran into this with a bad total light show board. It took a long time to figure out what was going on. I have a theory how this could happen, but don't really want to type it out..haha. The important point is that the SRAM on SAM boards keep their memory without power and battery backup for an impressively long period of time (days? weeks? I gave up waiting).
[quoted image]

So I tried this (unplugged the machine, removed the coin battery, hooked up the connection points to the top left and bottom right legs of the chip, and left it overnight) and it didn't work. I might have done something wrong (pic attached) and if so, please let me know. I've also attached another picture that shows the 18V and 20V lights on the driver Board still lit over a minute after the power was turned off -- don't know if that means anything but figured I'd share. Any help as to what else I can do would be greatly appreciated.

MET Board (resized).jpgMET Board (resized).jpgMET Board 2 (resized).jpgMET Board 2 (resized).jpg
#17806 3 years ago

STill my Grail #1 pin but have Gnr Coming . Only time will tell if Gnr Puts my Grail to 2nd . Can not wait to sit it next to my Metallica

#17807 3 years ago

How's this for a combo? Son -in -law showed me this on his birthday.

thumbnail-11 (resized).jpegthumbnail-11 (resized).jpeg
#17808 3 years ago

Seeing them together Sweet Show that was and the 2 Pins side by side extra awesome

#17809 3 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

How's this for a combo? Son -in -law showed me this on his birthday.
[quoted image]

I saw that concert in pittsburgh. A few days before james got burned in canada

#17810 3 years ago
Quoted from sugarhillabe:

So I tried this (unplugged the machine, removed the coin battery, hooked up the connection points to the top left and bottom right legs of the chip, and left it overnight) and it didn't work. I might have done something wrong (pic attached) and if so, please let me know. I've also attached another picture that shows the 18V and 20V lights on the driver Board still lit over a minute after the power was turned off -- don't know if that means anything but figured I'd share. Any help as to what else I can do would be greatly appreciated.[quoted image][quoted image]

I had my setup with the board out the game and on the bench. I think at minimum you will want to pull all of the power plugs that go to the board. Also take a voltage reading between those two pins. You want to see it less than 2.0v.

#17813 3 years ago

I think I may have mentioned this issue before but it has reared it's ugly head again. For some reason tombstone multiball can start intermittently without a target hit or during play the dmd will at random display a target hit when there has been a hit. I have had the ball sitting in the trough and while getting a drink, tombstone mball starts and the ball ejects.

Tried resetting the plug to the inline targets with no solution this time. Is there another plug in the headbox I can reseat? Any other areas to look at? Is the pcb on the inlines an opto board of some sort as I can't see any standard optos?? Does this board go bad? Thanks for any suggestions.

#17814 3 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

I think I may have mentioned this issue before but it has reared it's ugly head again. For some reason tombstone multiball can start intermittently without a target hit or during play the dmd will at random display a target hit when there has been a hit. I have had the ball sitting in the trough and while getting a drink, tombstone mball starts and the ball ejects.
Tried resetting the plug to the inline targets with no solution this time. Is there another plug in the headbox I can reseat? Any other areas to look at? Is the pcb on the inlines an opto board of some sort as I can't see any standard optos?? Does this board go bad? Thanks for any suggestions.

I would suspect the opto at the cross. That's the one thing that would trigger cross mb. Replace it and see if that fixes it.

#17815 3 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

I had my setup with the board out the game and on the bench. I think at minimum you will want to pull all of the power plugs that go to the board. Also take a voltage reading between those two pins. You want to see it less than 2.0v.

I wanted to thank you for your help and let you (and anyone else interested) know that the issue ultimately ended up being two blown fuses on the driver board at F12 and F13. I replaced those and it works fine now. Thank goodness I didn't have to replace the board!

#17816 3 years ago
Quoted from sugarhillabe:

I wanted to thank you for your help and let you (and anyone else interested) know that the issue ultimately ended up being two blown fuses on the driver board at F12 and F13. I replaced those and it works fine now. Thank goodness I didn't have to replace the board!

Even better. Glad you got it figured out.

#17817 3 years ago

I was reading the rules for Metallica, about Seek and Destroy (when you get all 5 columns lit)

"To qualify Seek and Destroy, you have to collect all 5 hurry ups --> Left orbit, grave marker, left ramp, right ramp, right orbit."

I never got there but I thought I was watching a tutorial (Bowens?) can't remember but thought it was if you did get Seek and Destroy that would erase all the locked rows making CIU so much harder.

Is that the case and if that's so do people hole off starting S&D until they have al the CIU modes collected?

#17818 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I was reading the rules for Metallica, about Seek and Destroy (when you get all 5 columns lit)
"To qualify Seek and Destroy, you have to collect all 5 hurry ups --> Left orbit, grave marker, left ramp, right ramp, right orbit."
I never got there but I thought I was watching a tutorial (Bowens?) can't remember but thought it was if you did get Seek and Destroy that would erase all the locked rows making CIU so much harder.
Is that the case and if that's so do people hole off starting S&D until they have al the CIU modes collected?

Yeah it's best if you can get all but one complete, but it's hard to keep it that way. I always seem to complete that last one by accident during a multiball.

#17819 3 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Yeah it's best if you can get all but one complete, but it's hard to keep it that way. I always seem to complete that last one by accident during a multiball.

Seems like a punishment to get it if you are going for EOTL but guess just play better. But after reading the rules there is a lot I need explore about the rules. I have been playing with a superficial understanding so far.

#17820 3 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

I had a similar issue with modes starting for no reason. Bought a new opto board and every thing. Turns out I had the pin plugged into a surge protector and had my sub for it plugged into it as well. A friend said he has had issues with surge protectors and pins. I plugged it into its own outlet and plugged the sub into another outlet and I’ve not had any issues since.

#17821 3 years ago
Quoted from Flash71:

I had a similar issue with modes starting for no reason. Bought a new opto board and every thing. Turns out I had the pin plugged into a surge protector and had my sub for it plugged into it as well. A friend said he has had issues with surge protectors and pins. I plugged it into its own outlet and plugged the sub into another outlet and I’ve not had any issues since.

Weird... i have both plugged into the same surge protector and it's working fine. Never heard of this before.

#17822 3 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Weird... i have both plugged into the same surge protector and it's working fine. Never heard of this before.

Me neither till it happened. Lol ! Could have been something with the sub on the same circuit as well but as soon as I separated them and took it off the protector no issues at all.

#17825 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I would suspect the opto at the cross. That's the one thing that would trigger cross mb. Replace it and see if that fixes it.

Thanks reseated the opto cables fir cross and idc plug and seems to have resolved the issue. For some reason I reseated the drop target connector beforehand, DOH

#17826 3 years ago
#17827 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Seems like a punishment to get it if you are going for EOTL but guess just play better. But after reading the rules there is a lot I need explore about the rules. I have been playing with a superficial understanding so far.

That's the one part of the game I don't like. Seek and Destroy is an awesome mode but kills your progress. Best thing to do is let the last hurry up time out and never collect it. Hard to do that when you are in mb, though. It's also annoying not knowing where the seek and destroy shot is during mb since inserts are flashing for other reasons. Not sure premium handles this better with rgb inserts.

The way I see it, there are two ways to play MET. One way is to go for EOTL. Get inserts lit and use mb's to progress to CIU modes. In CIU, focus is to get exit as fast as possible. Rinse and repeat.

The other way is to go for points. Play out the modes and don't worry so much about progress. In CIU, go for a huge jackpot and cash out with 2x. This is where you can set high scores.

#17828 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

bif naked did it better (at least 'nothing else matters'

Dude...Pretty great. Never heard that before. Love it!!

#17829 3 years ago

Finally received the new Dirty Donny Metallica Poster. My version is the stock poster paper. I’m posting to see if anyone here was lucky to get the print that had only 50 printed(lava foil)?

Sadly, I forgot to order mine before it was too late. At least I have one and not paid the prices on eBay.

BF0D9FC4-7057-4F05-AD95-F1BE0B7BEF0C (resized).jpegBF0D9FC4-7057-4F05-AD95-F1BE0B7BEF0C (resized).jpeg

#17830 3 years ago

I have an issue hopefully someone has seen before.

I have a number of lights out. For example the 4 F-U-E-L inserts, the 3 inserts at the electric chair, the snake insert lights. A few others.

I've tested all the fuses.

I've done my best to look through the schematics and I even tried replacing the LED board for the Fuel lights since the schematics seemed to show that as the first board of a series all of which currently do not work. I get power at that board yet no lights. So I suppose it's a data issue of some sort and I don't really know where to go with that.

Any thoughts? Much appreciated. Thanks.

#17831 3 years ago

I finally joined the party recently. I didn’t think I would ever find a good condition premium model, let alone NIB (along with a KISS LE)!! I just updated the code and I’m ready to crank it up

1BD0AB09-FA76-4906-B577-0453E5D77709 (resized).jpeg1BD0AB09-FA76-4906-B577-0453E5D77709 (resized).jpegC5F6C623-DC8D-4AAA-838D-49EAF46D8F43 (resized).jpegC5F6C623-DC8D-4AAA-838D-49EAF46D8F43 (resized).jpeg
#17832 3 years ago
Quoted from pkrobin:

I have a number of lights out. For example the 4 F-U-E-L inserts, the 3 inserts at the electric chair, the snake insert lights. A few others.
I've done my best to look through the schematics and I even tried replacing the LED board for the Fuel lights since the schematics seemed to show that as the first board of a series all of which currently do not work. I get power at that board yet no lights. So I suppose it's a data issue of some sort and I don't really know where to go with that.

My guess would be transistor Q37. Trying to find a good playfield lamp wiring diagram.
What version of game do you have. Pro... Premium... Le....

#17833 3 years ago
Quoted from pkrobin:

I have not seen this problem but I looked over the schematics. I assume you replaced the LED board #4 with the yellow wires? Are your pop bumper lights out also? I would reseat all the cables that interconnect the four led boards. Also reseat the connectors from LED board #4 to the I/O driver board. And finally reseat connectors from the IO driver board to the CPU board.

#17834 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I have not seen this problem but I looked over the schematics. I assume you replaced the LED board #4 with the yellow wires? Are your pop bumper lights out also? I would reseat all the cables that interconnect the four led boards. Also reseat the connectors from LED board #4 to the I/O driver board. And finally reseat connectors from the IO driver board to the CPU board.

Hey thanks for the ideas. Here are the answers.

Yes. I temporarily replaced board 4 with the yellow wires. I did not observe any change so I left the original in.

No, my pop bumper lights and also rollovers do not work. In fact for the most part none of the non flashing inserts work however there are some exceptions like two snakes on the right come on sometimes. Also the two right most guitar picks are lit right at the start of the game even though they should be off. They stay on the whole game.

Other observations: sometimes the extra ball light is on but not earned. I also just realized the start button light is out.

The green light on the snake and the coffin LEDs seem to work properly, pretty sure all the gi is correct. All the flashers seem fine.

I re-seated all connectors between the board and back to the IO board. Unfortunately no luck there.

Thanks.

#17835 3 years ago
Quoted from Briks-707:

I finally joined the party recently. I didn’t think I would ever find a good condition premium model, let alone NIB

Outstanding find! After having 2 Pros, it took me a couple of years to find a nice Premium. Even though I am sure they made a ton of them, they never seem to come up for sale near me.

#17836 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Outstanding find! After having 2 Pros, it took me a couple of years to find a nice Premium. Even though I am sure they made a ton of them, they never seem to come up for sale near me.

Thanks man, I was over the moon to procure 2/5 of my wishlist pins (NIB) in one swoop after being on the hunt for a couple of months. I don’t think the premiums come up for sale very often, at least not in my neck of the woods.

#17837 3 years ago

It seems like my CIU scoop is rejecting the ball a lot. I'll hit what I think should go in, it rattles around but never goes in the scoop... I've looked at it briefly, and I don't necessarily see anything to tweak, but I didn't look too closely.

I find that the snake rejects the ball too. If it goes really slow or really fast, it gets in there, but if it's a medium shot, it seems to rattle in and out.

I don't think it's always been like this, but it's hard to say... I can't tell if this is something I should be looking to adjust, or if I just suck (or maybe a little of both...).

#17838 3 years ago

We may need an update of the Christmas mix.

#17839 3 years ago
Quoted from pkrobin:

I had a frustrating problem with the insert lights which turned out to be bad cables (repairable). Post is here.

#17840 3 years ago

I recently picked up a fairly clean Metallica Premium that was on route and was wondering what mods are worth putting on it. I know its a older game and not everything is (probably) available. I know the Color LCD looks great but Im not ready to spend the $400+ just yet.

The only issues that I see is some ware around the Sparky magnet, but not to bad and should be able to touch it up. Also, the coil that moves Sparky works but it seems that the gap is to far to make it work in game, maybe just a small adjustment is needed...?

Any Advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rob

#17841 3 years ago
Quoted from MrCleanHead:

I recently picked up a fairly clean Metallica Premium that was on route and was wondering what mods are worth putting on it. I know its a older game and not everything is (probably) available. I know the Color LCD looks great but Im not ready to spend the $400+ just yet.
The only issues that I see is some ware around the Sparky magnet, but not to bad and should be able to touch it up. Also, the coil that moves Sparky works but it seems that the gap is to far to make it work in game, maybe just a small adjustment is needed...?
Thanks
Rob

Put a carbon cliffy around the magnet to cover up the wear.

#17842 3 years ago
Quoted from MrCleanHead:

Thanks
Rob

Get ya a cheap external subwoofer and a shaker. You can thank me later!

#17843 3 years ago

Best mod is the color DMD and a speaker light kit. Makes the game feel complete. Snake fangs and tongue decal. That’s really the only must have mods. All the other stuff is cosmetic that is not really needed. The Purple armor looks cool but again not needed but if you want to bling it out it’s a nice touch.

#17844 3 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Best mod is the color DMD and a speaker light kit. Makes the game feel complete. Snake fangs and tongue decal. That’s really the only must have mods. All the other stuff is cosmetic that is not really needed. The Purple armor looks cool but again not needed but if you want to bling it out it’s a nice touch.

All of the things you listed are cosmetic.

#17845 3 years ago

If you want to enhance the gameplay experience, there is nothing better than the external subwoofer. 100 bucks on Amazon

#17846 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I’m confused by his paragraph too.

#17847 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

If you want to enhance the gameplay experience, there is nothing better than the external subwoofer. 100 bucks on Amazon

What model works the best off Amazon?

This is the one thing that is a little disappointing to me for a music pin, especially a game that should crank. Plus I'm spoiled with the sound on TNA, best sound for a Pin ever! How do I go about doing this? The current wires are soldered to the sub speaker. Im assuming I remove them and attach a extension with RCA jacks and then run it to a powered sub? No other power boards required? How about something like the flipper fidelity or Pinball Pro.

#17848 3 years ago
Quoted from MrCleanHead:

What model works the best off Amazon?
This is the one thing that is a little disappointing to me for a music pin, especially a game that should crank. Plus I'm spoiled with the sound on TNA, best sound for a Pin ever! How do I go about doing this? The current wires are soldered to the sub speaker. Im assuming I remove them and attach a extension with RCA jacks and then run it to a powered sub? No other power boards required? How about something like the flipper fidelity or Pinball Pro.

Get the pinwoofer kit. I struggled with my Metallica sound from day one. Had Flipper Fidelity speakers and an external sub. Still was never happy till I got a pinwoofer kit. Game sounds incredible now.

#17849 3 years ago

On the Premium, replace the hammer's 'cube' with the captive ball from pinballlife. I am also partial to the Cemetery Arch mod from Mezel. I agree that the snake fangs and tongue are a must, and they are inexpensive.

#17850 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Agree but they complete the package...all the other guitars/belt buckle Metallica logos all over the place are not needed in the least.

These look right on the game and look like they should have been there from the factory.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
6,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hoover, AL
There are 21,649 posts in this topic. You are on page 357 of 433.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/357?hl=robf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.