2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg
IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,662 posts in this topic. You are on page 350 of 434.
#17451 4 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Hey Jimmyhonda, what LED strip did you use under the pf to light up the drop targets? And where did you tap into? I think it looks great, just ordered the drop targets for my MET.

I just used comet led strips Under the Playfield and tied into nearby GI. Comet sells a 3-way splitter, so you can tie all three strips together. Makes it a cleaner install. I will say, you’ve gotta get creative to make the leds work because they need to be facing up towards the bottom of the Playfield. I manipulated a few “L” brackets and some heavy duty mounting tape to get them to stay solid and so I could install led strips so they are facing up, towards the bottom of the Playfield, specifically right below each drop target.

#17452 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

I just used comet led strips Under the Playfield and tied into nearby GI. Comet sells a 3-way splitter, so you can tie all three strips together. Makes it a cleaner install. I will say, you’ve gotta get creative to make the leds work because they need to be facing up towards the bottom of the Playfield. I manipulated a few “L” brackets and some heavy duty mounting tape to get them to stay solid and so I could install led strips so they are facing up, towards the bottom of the Playfield, specifically right below each drop target.

Thank you, do you happen to have a picture? I installed the drops last night, figured I would order some Comet strips today. Also, did you paint the side tabs of the targets so the opto would see them, mine aren’t registering. Thanks again for sharing!

#17453 4 years ago

I also have the mod captive ball and I get zero air balls. Something probably needs to be adjusted.

#17454 4 years ago

Hi all. I can use some help. The right sling on my Met premium stopped working. The coil fires in test mode, but I can’t get the leaf switch to register at all. I can’t see any loose/desoldered wires and have adjusted the switch every way I could think of. Any ideas what to do next? Thanks.

#17455 4 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

Hi all. I can use some help. The right sling on my Met premium stopped working. The coil fires in test mode, but I can’t get the leaf switch to register at all. I can’t see any loose/desoldered wires and have adjusted the switch every way I could think of. Any ideas what to do next? Thanks.

Try the switch edge test and check that switch and the others in the same row and column and see if that one shows stuck open or closed, etc.

#17456 4 years ago

Thanks. So all the switches on that row and column test fine except for the two switches on the right slingshot which do not register at all. Not sure if it matters, but earlier today the magnets stopped working. I replaced the fuse at F7, and all was good for a couple of games until the slingshot switches went out. I’d appreciate any other guidance.

#17457 4 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

Thanks. So all the switches on that row and column test fine except for the two switches on the right slingshot which do not register at all. Not sure if it matters, but earlier today the magnets stopped working. I replaced the fuse at F7, and all was good for a couple of games until the slingshot switches went out. I’d appreciate any other guidance.

Is it possible the rubber is stretched too tightly across the front of the sling, holding both switches closed the whole time so they don't have a chance to open and activate?

#17458 4 years ago

Problem solved. I bent the diode a bit and now it works fine. I must have mashed it when I adjusted the switch gap after installing new Titan rings. So relieved it’s not a board issue. Thanks again for your help!

#17459 4 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

Problem solved. I bent the diode a bit and now it works fine. I must have mashed it when I adjusted the switch gap after installing new Titan rubber. So relieved it’s not a board issue. Thanks again for your help!

Noice!!!

#17460 4 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Thank you, do you happen to have a picture? I installed the drops last night, figured I would order some Comet strips today. Also, did you paint the side tabs of the targets so the opto would see them, mine aren’t registering. Thanks again for sharing!

So, you have to put any kind of white tape on the side tabs so the optos register. Also, I tried to take a picture of the led strips and it really just didn’t work. It’s too tight of a space to get a good picture. I stuck L brackets inside the drop target mech with mounting tape and stuck the led strips on them so they faced up towards the Playfield. You just gotta get creative. There’s no simple way of explaining it. Unfortunately.

#17461 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

So, you have to put any kind of white tape on the side tabs so the optos register. Also, I tried to take a picture of the led strips and it really just didn’t work. It’s too tight of a space to get a good picture. I stuck L brackets inside the drop target mech with mounting tape and stuck the led strips on them so they faced up towards the Playfield. You just gotta get creative. There’s no simple way of explaining it. Unfortunately.

Thank you again for the reply. I will rip out the mech and get some creative modding done!

#17462 4 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

We use a 3-d printed mount that tilts to help shine the light up through the playfield. We use our own led strip to produce the light. The mount adheres to the metal bracket just behind the drop targets. Seems to work well. I used red.

IMG_20200402_153334 (resized).jpgIMG_20200402_153334 (resized).jpg00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200402152819259_COVER (resized).jpg00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200402152819259_COVER (resized).jpg00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200402153532765_COVER (resized).jpg00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200402153532765_COVER (resized).jpg
#17463 4 years ago

Hey Guys,

would any one have any experience on integrating lights into a custom topper? I found miniature replica drums, guitars and amps. I want to mount them to a sheet of black plastic and put some up lighting on it, hopefully integrated with game play. any feedback would help. Picture posted of them just placed on top of machine for visual. (yes I know Lars has a double bass, I have second one coming)

IMG_4305 (resized).jpegIMG_4305 (resized).jpeg
#17464 4 years ago
Quoted from derekbro:

Hey Guys,
would any one have any experience on integrating lights into a custom topper? I found miniature replica drums, guitars and amps. I want to mount them to a sheet of black plastic and put some up lighting on it, hopefully integrated with game play. any feedback would help. Picture posted of them just placed on top of machine for visual. (yes I know Lars has a double bass, I have second one coming)[quoted image]

Pretty easy to put lights on the top, interactive, static, whatever. Layout a design you want and I'll help you with it.

#17465 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I replaced mine the day I got the game. I can easily bank off the Newton ball into the snake, but don't get airballs at all.

Where did you get it? My block is hammered!

#17466 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

It's been a few years, but I think pinball life.

#17467 4 years ago

Update on strobing. Game is somewhat stable with the odd times of strobing after reseating the bridge rectifier and increading intensity to 70%. So when our lockdown is over I'll get a higher rated br. However last night when starting a game, I chose eotl as song and while alternating a display saying 3 X crosses hit or something. When I played and hit the first drop target, tombstone mb started. I tested today and my first game was a quick one but seemed OK. My second game after ball one or two I left the machine to look at what my dog was barking at. While away from the game I heard the pops go and rushed back to see a ball auto plunge. I was in tombstone mb again and I did nothing. Could this be the br maybe failing or a software corruption prob or what? Played another game and drops worked OK and mb activated as it should.

#17468 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

We use a 3-d printed mount that tilts to help shine the light up through the playfield. We use our own led strip to produce the light. The mount adheres to the metal bracket just behind the drop targets. Seems to work well. I used red.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very cool!!! Nice work!!

#17469 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-newton-ball-assembly.html

be aware that on a premium/LE, you need to disassemble most of the hammer mech (top side) in order to remove the newton block and replace it with ball assembly

#17470 4 years ago

did anyone see Mario's office from Tiger King netflix series had a Metallica pinball?

#17471 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

did anyone see Mario's office from Tiger King netflix series had a Metallica pinball?

Me: Hey look he's got a metallica pinball!
My wife: (Eye roll)....

So yes I saw it.

#17472 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-newton-ball-assembly.html
be aware that on a premium/LE, you need to disassemble most of the hammer mech (top side) in order to remove the newton block and replace it with ball assembly

Ok thank you!

#17473 4 years ago
Quoted from Apex:

Me: Hey look he's got a metallica pinball!
My wife: (Eye roll)....
So yes I saw it.

hahha I saw a machine, then had to pause and rewind and my wife was wondering what I was doing

#17474 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

hahha I saw a machine, then had to pause and rewind and my wife was wondering what I was doing

...and then she did the eyeroll

#17475 4 years ago

Anyone have a line on a Sparky Airball protector? Not seeing any available online. Thanks, K

#17476 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinball13:

Anyone have a line on a Sparky Airball protector? Not seeing any available online. Thanks, K

may want to see if pinbits is shipping but:
https://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_74&products_id=630&zenid=e1677b3161eb802b8eb8c8618abd8f5a

#17477 4 years ago

I have seen this but there is not a picture that shows if this is the full protector or not. I emailed them weeks ago without a reply.

#17478 4 years ago

Being home provides me with some additional time to work on mods. Been wanting to do this one for a while, it's a skull mod that interacts with the extra ball and crank it up lamps. That area is a bit bare and there is the ugly plastic, which I can't exactly tell what it's for since there are no issues with balls flying off the ramp. looks like a sneeze guard. In any case, the skull can be installed with or without the plastic in place. Available on our site and in our pinside shop shortly...
https://lermods.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fmetallica-pinball-interactive-illuminated-skull

#17479 4 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

You wouldn’t be the first to fry the transistor because of long holding the flipper up.

Quoted from j_m_:

yep, you'll blow one of the 3A fuses under the playfield and Q15 (left flipper) or Q16 (right flipper)
this is due to stern's [awesome] use of using +50vdc for both kick & hold

had this happen again last night (same flipper). 2nd time in almost 2-1/2 years but still kind of unnerving at why it's occurring

fortunately, I had purchased a few extra transistors for the first time when it blew so I had them on-hand to fix it pretty quickly

edit: has anyone done anything to attempt to correct this [known] issue? I was thinking about using a slightly lower (2 or 2.5) amperage fuse to get it to blow and protect the other components (like it should be doing in the first place!

#17480 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Being home provides me with some additional time to work on mods. Been wanting to do this one for a while, it's a skull mod that interacts with the extra ball and crank it up lamps. That area is a bit bare and there is the ugly plastic, which I can't exactly tell what it's for since there are no issues with balls flying off the ramp. looks like a sneeze guard. In any case, the skull can be installed with or without the plastic in place. Available on our site and in our pinside shop shortly...
https://lermods.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fmetallica-pinball-interactive-illuminated-skull

Ironically, I think that shape of the skull looks like Vic Rattlehead's. Dave mustaine would be proud! I don't think that really fits the game. The color & size don't really go with anything on the playfield (in my opinion)

#17481 4 years ago

And that's no burn to Lermods at all! I love his work and products.. I am into pimpin out machines however the owner sees fit! Just not feeling this one and leaving my opinion! Stay safe peeps!!

#17482 4 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

And that's no burn to Lermods at all! I love his work and products.. I am into pimpin out machines however the owner sees fit! Just not feeling this one and leaving my opinion! Stay safe peeps!!

no offense taken at all, it's all good, appreciate the feedback, otherwise I would not have posted it.

#17483 4 years ago

I changed my special award from points to extra ball. Now, when the ball drains during the bonus add up, the music stops.
Is there a setting for this? What did I do?

#17484 4 years ago

Gotta, Love that “greatest pin” poll thread.
Pinsider says “meh” to owning rock pins or them being top.
Lol, that’s crazy talk!

#17485 4 years ago

Anyone know if Stern will be doing another run of these?

#17486 4 years ago
Quoted from Off2War:

Anyone know if Stern will be doing another run of these?

Not likely anytime soon, might still find some NIB out there. Plenty pop up used as well.

#17487 4 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Lol, that’s crazy talk!

Considering I own a Kiss, GnR, Metallica, Tommy, Elvis, AC/DC, I have to disagree Also, my Dr Who has the music changed to Rush and my Getaway, the Clash.

#17488 4 years ago

I finally got around to working on my magnet board that burned up ... The damage to the board itself was fairly substantial penetrating several layers deep into the board.
DSC00317b (resized).jpgDSC00317b (resized).jpg

The board prep consisted of cleaning the board to remove all the charred residue then using a dremel to mill out as much of charred layers of fiber as I could...this could not all be removed as the board was burned through to the back side.
I didn't get pictures of the board prep or this actual PCB repair, but here's a video on how its done:

The Failure was identified as a shorted MOSFET which was replaced along with the burned resistor, a 10W resistor was installed to replace the 5W that burned.
DSC00830 (resized).JPGDSC00830 (resized).JPG
DSC00831 (resized).JPGDSC00831 (resized).JPG

Its hard to tell from the pictures, but the repair to the board is completely smooth and I used a clear epoy for the fill...if I had green dye to add to the epoxy this would have looked much better.

EDIT: Board was installed in machine, played a few games and I'm happy to report it's working great!

#17489 4 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Lol, that’s crazy talk!

Where is this thread? I’d like to read it

#17490 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I finally got around to working on my magnet board that burned up ... The damage to the board itself was fairly substantial penetrating several layers deep into the board.
[quoted image]
The board prep consisted of cleaning the board to remove all the charred residue then using a dremel to mill out as much of charred layers of fiber as I could...this could not all be removed as the board was burned through to the back side.
I didn't get pictures of the board prep or this actual PCB repair, but here's a video on how its done:

The Failure was identified as a shorted MOSFET which was replaced along with the burned resistor, a 10W resistor was installed to replace the 5W that burned.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Its hard to tell from the pictures, but the repair to the board is completely smooth and I used a clear epoy for the fill...if I had green dye to add to the epoxy this would have looked much better.
EDIT: Board was installed in machine, played a few games and I'm happy to report it's working great!

Thats cool, thanks for sharing that vid..

#17491 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

[quoted image]

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Not too uncommon I am afraid on MET. My board released the magic smooke a few months ago. Same result to the board, easy fix though.

#17492 4 years ago

I have had a cliffy on my scoop since the beginning (3 years ago). I would have a fair amount of rejects with hard straight on shots. I removed it this weekend and what a difference. No more rejected shots. I would recommend anyone having trouble hitting the scope shot to try it without the cliffy.

#17493 3 years ago

what is this little piece of plastic for?

80532E52-66A4-4889-B24F-1D38E913E0B8 (resized).jpeg80532E52-66A4-4889-B24F-1D38E913E0B8 (resized).jpeg
#17494 3 years ago

Keeps a ball from getting stuck there

#17495 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

smart!

#17496 3 years ago

#17497 3 years ago

The lower snake jaw seems to be sitting kind of high off the playfield on my Met Prem (getting lots of rejects). I’ve looked at the threads where people have added washers and/or adjusted a set screw to get the jaw to sit a bit lower, but haven’t seen good pics or a clear description of where the set screw is and exactly where to put the washers.

Has anyone done this recently who could help me out? Thanks.

#17498 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Well, you can’t say I didn’t learn something today !!! I’ve seen these on both my machines and just assumed they were putting random plastics in , haha.

#17499 3 years ago

Hey guys, I just picked up an early run Metallica pro that has the snake head with fangs, unfortunatley, someone tried removed the head at some point, and broke the hidden screw mount inside the head. I seen that Marco sells the newer style head without fangs, Should I replace it with that, or is there a better one available from someone else? or does anyone have a good used one available?

#17500 3 years ago
Quoted from Tinnhound:

Hey guys, I just picked up an early run Metallica pro that has the snake head with fangs, unfortunatley, someone tried removed the head at some point, and broke the hidden screw mount inside the head. I seen that Marco sells the newer style head without fangs, Should I replace it with that, or is there a better one available from someone else? or does anyone have a good used one available?

Replace with newer head and the fangs are an add on.

https://mezelmods.com/products/fangs

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 149.00
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 21,662 posts in this topic. You are on page 350 of 434.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/350 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.