C7302EC0-E40C-4401-A735-26261435813E (resized).jpeg
38320F75-D438-4EC6-B8F0-EA529FC5A079 (resized).jpeg
51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,663 posts in this topic. You are on page 336 of 434.
#16751 4 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

The flipper plunger rod is probably mushroomed on the edge. Do a flipper rebuild to fix. How many games played on your game? Also. If you have young kids who flip a thousand times per ball will wear this rod out quickly too

My game has about 1500 balls played. My Maiden has 3x that amount of play. My 6yr old son doesnt play our Metallica. "Its too hard." He likes to play Maiden though.

#16752 4 years ago

Need some diagnose help. Sparky sensor is triggering at random times, usually when I hit the right ramp. Just keep triggering and multiball starts. Did switch test and all switches come in clean. Thinking maybe the opto is bad, or not lined up properly, both lights on the opto board are lit and I checked the connections. Any tips to realign it, or should I just replace it? I reached out to my distributor and I am waiting to see about getting replacement parts (machine is just over a year old), but thought there might be an easy way to fix/diagnose.

#16753 4 years ago

I have an unused Metallica Monsters translite signed by Lyman, Borg and Dirty Donnie. I'm thinking of selling it to fund some repairs etc. PM me an offer if you are interested.

#16754 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

My game has about 1500 balls played. My Maiden has 3x that amount of play. My 6yr old son doesnt play our Metallica. "Its too hard." He likes to play Maiden though.

That's not many. Check for binding on the mech

#16755 4 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Need some diagnose help. Sparky sensor is triggering at random times, usually when I hit the right ramp. Just keep triggering and multiball starts. Did switch test and all switches come in clean. Thinking maybe the opto is bad, or not lined up properly, both lights on the opto board are lit and I checked the connections. Any tips to realign it, or should I just replace it? I reached out to my distributor and I am waiting to see about getting replacement parts (machine is just over a year old), but thought there might be an easy way to fix/diagnose.

Could be possible that the ramp flasher could be “blinding” the sensor? Try removing the ramp flasher and see if that changes the behavior at all. Years ago I replaced my flashers with LEDS and had to bend the brackets to get the flasher face closer to the play field. It was blinding the sensors on the cross drop targets. Something to try at least.

#16756 4 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

I had some flaky Sparky senors that would trigger at random times. I thought that it was the optos at first but it still happened even after I put new ones in. I think I eventually just swapped them around took the left side put it on the right side and moved the right opto to the left. Everything started working again perfectly. There is something going on with the metal bracket those optos sit in and the way the IR beam aligns. At least that was the issue on my MET.

#16757 4 years ago

If anyone is interested in a POPULATED pro playfield PM me.

#16758 4 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

Or Wife/Girlfriend

Or self..... someone had to say it

#16759 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

If anyone is interested in a POPULATED pro playfield PM me.

I didnt realize I have a maximum of 20 messages per day. To those who messaged me about the translite or playfield and didnt hear back from me, I will contact you tomorrow.

#16760 4 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

On mine this was the opto...I had the exact same issue. I would try wiggling the cords on them while in switch test and if it starts beeping uncontrollable then that's the problem. Otherwise, it sounds like some others have sent some other areas to considered.

#16761 4 years ago

I've received a lot more messages about my stuff than expected. I will think it over and get back to people soon.

#16762 4 years ago

Hello fellow owners,
I finally got to join the club after years of dreaming about it. I bought a beautiful 2013 Pro. I've spent the last week replacing the Sparky magnet, changing out a couple songs, adding a ColorDMD, and adding a Pinnovators PINPAC. I'm also pretty sure I read every page of this thread. I'm pretty excited!
All was well until I was playing a game and the game started looking for balls after an Electric Chair multiball.
I've since done a switch test and all of Drive 2 does not register in test. (That's all trough switches, all lanes and the pop bumper switches) I tested continuity and I have continuity all the way back to the board. I'm assuming now that it is a board issue but I'm still hoping not.
Can anyone give me some advice on where to look next? If I had to guess I'll have to take off the board and check for any damage. Maybe (hopefully) I'm missing some simple explanation.
What do you all think?

Added over 5 years ago:

Just a follow-up: It turned out my issue was a faulty wire/connector connection at the trough switch. It ended up taking out the trough opto as well as the sparky and cross optos which are on the same row/column on the switch matrix. Since fixing the connection I've had zero issues.

#16763 4 years ago
Quoted from ReallifePin:

Hello fellow owners,
I finally got to join the club after years of dreaming about it. I bought a beautiful 2013 Pro. I've spent the last week replacing the Sparky magnet, changing out a couple songs, adding a ColorDMD, and adding a Pinnovators PINPAC. I'm also pretty sure I read every page of this thread. I'm pretty excited!
All was well until I was playing a game and the game started looking for balls after an Electric Chair multiball.
I've since done a switch test and all of Drive 2 does not register in test. (That's all trough switches, all lanes and the pop bumper switches) I tested continuity and I have continuity all the way back to the board. I'm assuming now that it is a board issue but I'm still hoping not.
Can anyone give me some advice on where to look next? If I had to guess I'll have to take off the board and check for any damage. Maybe (hopefully) I'm missing some simple explanation.
What do you all think?

Check your fuses.

#16764 4 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Check your fuses.

The lights all show good. I manually checked the cab and playfield fuses for good measure and there doesn't appear to be any fuse issues.
Thanks for the suggestion though. Keep em coming.

MVIMG_20190920_182141 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190920_182141 (resized).jpg
#16765 4 years ago
Quoted from ReallifePin:

You could try inspecting all those switches for anything shorted to ground.

#16766 4 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

You could try inspecting all those switches for anything shorted to ground.

I will do that. Thanks!

#16767 4 years ago

I sold a decent amount of BUZZKILL noise reducing washers, so I ordered up another batch. This time they are thicker, made from 1/64" thick Neoprene. They do a great job stopping that coil buzz when you flip and trap up on some of the noisier Sterns.

If you want a set, send me $5 via PayPal along with your address. I'll send you a set (two washers) USPS Mail. Great for Metallica (Pro) AC/DC (Pro) Transformers (Pro) #the_walking_dead and other machines that buzz when you trap up.

You can make 10-15 sets yourself with a gasket from Auto Zone for $7 (plus tax) and be out time for the errand and work, with a misshapen gasket to show for it.

buzzkill (resized).jpgbuzzkill (resized).jpg
#16768 4 years ago

I'm sure its been talked about but I had a chance to play guardians of the galaxy last week after owning Metallica. Its the exact same game except the ramps flow through the back box? I still prefer Metallica over guardians!

#16769 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I'm sure its been talked about but I had a chance to play guardians of the galaxy last week after owning Metallica. Its the exact same game except the ramps flow through the back box? I still prefer Metallica over guardians!

Met will always rule over GOG, and most other pins, regardless of the layout.

#16770 4 years ago

Even though the layout is similar, GOTG and Met play nothing alike. I think they're both great games, but Met is just a masterpiece.

#16771 4 years ago
Quoted from ReallifePin:

Hello fellow owners,
What do you all think?Unfortunately, if a whole row of switches is out it probably is a board problem. A friend of mine had that issue on his Shrek a few years ago. IIRC he had to send the board out for repair.

#16772 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Unfortunately, if a whole row of switches is out it probably is a board problem. A friend of mine had that issue on his Shrek a few years ago. IIRC he had to send the board out for repair.

I'm thinking you're right. I'm going to take a look at the board for anything physical but I may be able to swap it out with a working board just to confirm. Still have my fingers crossed.
Edit: looks like you were correct. The Q2 transistor is bad but already socketed. I should be back up and running soon!

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190916203030373 (resized).jpg00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190916203030373 (resized).jpg
#16773 4 years ago

Anyone want 3 fangs from Mezel for the price of 2?

$40 + $5 shipping anywhere in US or Canada.

PM if interested.

IMG_20190926_234519 (resized).jpgIMG_20190926_234519 (resized).jpg
#16774 4 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Anyone want 3 fangs from Mezel for the price of 2?
$40 + $5 shipping anywhere in US or Canada.
PM if interested.[quoted image]

2 fangs sold. Still have one available.

Also have an extra Magnet control board, and 5 SMD light boards.

Magnet goes for about $60-70 new, and SMD are $6.99 each on Pinball Life.

I can do the magnet board and SMDs for $70 USD with shipping anywhere in the US or Canada.

Add an extra $10 if you want the Mezel fangs.

#16775 4 years ago

Thanks! Draegermeister ... got my BUZZKILL washers yeasterday and they absolutely did the trick on quieting down my Metallica flipper coils.

#16776 4 years ago

My NIB Premium arrived on Friday from Trent at Tilt Amusements and I love it! I have added a cliffy on the scoop, a Sparky protector from pinbits, and new carbon steel balls from bctrade (Ball Baron is sold out). I have a topper and ColorDMD on the way.

I am having two issues and wanted to see if anyone could help:
1) Out of the box the plunger would not plunge the ball into the game. I swapped the orange spring out with a blue spring which would get the ball into the playfield but just barely, I tried a green spring and now the ball goes all the way up but my kids struggle to pull it back. Since the game came with an orange spring I feel that something is wrong and a higher powered spring is just a band aid. Any idea what to try?

2) I have had balls get stuck on the metal around the snake, it seems like there is some magnetism there. I have maybe 50 games on the machine so I did not expect the balls to magnetize already and they are not sticking to each other or any other part in the game. Any idea how to stop this?

Thanks for the help!

2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg
#16777 4 years ago
Quoted from LargemouthAss:

My NIB Premium arrived on Friday from Trent at Tilt Amusements and I love it! I have added a cliffy on the scoop, a Sparky protector from pinbits, and new carbon steel balls from bctrade (Ball Baron is sold out). I have a topper and ColorDMD on the way.
1) Out of the box the plunger would not plunge the ball into the game. I swapped the orange spring out with a blue spring which would get the ball into the playfield but just barely, I tried a green spring and now the ball goes all the way up but my kids struggle to pull it back. Since the game came with an orange spring I feel that something is wrong and a higher powered spring is just a band aid. Any idea what to try?
2) I have had balls get stuck on the metal around the snake, it seems like there is some magnetism there. I have maybe 50 games on the machine so I did not expect the balls to magnetize already and they are not sticking to each other or any other part in the game. Any idea how to stop this?
Thanks for the help![quoted image]

I'd check and make sure the plunger is hitting the ball at it's center. You can loosen and reposition the whole shooter assembly as needed. If it's way off, it may not launch properly.

#16778 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I'd check and make sure the plunger is hitting the ball at it's center. You can loosen and reposition the whole shooter assembly as needed. If it's way off, it may not launch properly.

I removed the assembly but I do not see how to reposition it. Any hints on how?

#16779 4 years ago

I removed the assembly but I do not see how to reposition it. Any hints on how?

Not just the shooter rod. Loosen the four nuts that hold the whole rectangular assembly to the cabinet. Then you can move that whole thing slightly in the direction needed and re tighten. ( Up , down, sideways).

#16780 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Not just the shooter rod. Loosen the four nuts that hold the whole rectangular assembly to the cabinet. Then you can move that whole thing slightly in the direction needed and re tighten. ( Up , down, sideways).

Awesome! I will give that a shot!

#16781 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Worked perfectly!!! Thanks for the advice!!

#16782 4 years ago

Worked perfectly!!! Thanks for the advice!!

Awesome. Woah.... I helped someone!

#16783 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Awesome. Woah.... I helped someone!

Nice, thats like a pass for your next bad deed right?

#16784 4 years ago

Thanks for the help![quoted image]

I dont think Ball Baron sells the right balls. Mine magnetized too and they advertized them as not going to magnetize. Also, where did you get the new balls from? I bought some off of Amazon from BC precision, which were super rusty.

Awesome game btw !!!!!!

#16785 4 years ago

you cannot purchase the ninja balls from ball baron. those are the ones that will magnetize within 50-70 games
he was supposed to stock a carbon core ball that isn't as subjective to becoming magnetized

#16786 4 years ago

Yeah I got them from Bctrade on ebay and they arrived in great shape. They are the carbon steel balls that are not supposed to magnetize quickly.

#16787 4 years ago

I get mine from pinball life and never had an issue

#16788 4 years ago

Had my met for years just joining the club today.

#16789 4 years ago

Got a MET a week ago. Loving the game, even though it could only stay at the house a day before going on location. Now even more people are enjoying it.

#16790 4 years ago

I just noticed tonight that when I shoot the snake, it doesn’t always count as a snake hit. It ejects the ball every time but doesn’t count towards the snake count most of the time. I have a premium. What switch needs to be adjusted on the snake to make it actually register a make?

#16791 4 years ago

I have a bunch of Metallica picks that are cool to glue to various parts of the machine. They are $4.98 eac + $3.50 shipping. If you want to buy more than one, shipping is still $3.50. I only have qty 1 left so first come first serve. PM me with what you want.

IMG_2894 (resized).jpgIMG_2894 (resized).jpg
#16793 4 years ago

Hot glue. I have a bunch of pics in various spots in my machine...they look awesome imo.

#16794 4 years ago

I have one on a Freeplay card, that's as far as I'll go

#16795 4 years ago

Don't do it!...just saying

#16796 4 years ago

I always think it’s funny how people get so upset with what you do with your machine.

#16797 4 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I always think it’s funny how people get so upset with what you do with your machine.

That's because they're always thinking resale value. I just enjoy playing my games and never get bogged down with what I'll get for them when I sell. It's like the guys who garage and put low mileage on their cars. All they're doing is keeping it nice for the next guy who'll pay way less than the original price and enjoy using it how it was intended.
I play, customise and enjoy my games to death, and worry about resale when and if the time comes

#16798 4 years ago

That's because they're always thinking resale value. I just enjoy playing my games and never get bogged down with what I'll get for them when I sell. It's like the guys who garage and put low mileage on their cars. All they're doing is keeping it nice for the next guy who'll pay way less than the original price and enjoy using it how it was intended.
I play, customise and enjoy my games to death, and worry about resale when and if the time comes

#16799 4 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

You can say that again!

#16800 4 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Hot glue. I have a bunch of pics in various spots in my machine...they look awesome imo.

Me too but sticky tack. Never glue

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 21,663 posts in this topic. You are on page 336 of 434.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/336?hl=woody6092 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.