C7302EC0-E40C-4401-A735-26261435813E (resized).jpeg
38320F75-D438-4EC6-B8F0-EA529FC5A079 (resized).jpeg
51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 316 of 434.
#15751 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

You sure all the inserts were lit and the hurry up was completed? If not all the inserts were lit or if the hurry up was started but not completed, the inserts will reset after a drain. During a ball, any lit inserts should stay lit. CIU modes will use inserts for their own purpose but you should go back to normal after the mode ends. If inserts go out and you have to redo them after having them lit during normal gameplay, something is not right. I have an issue with one insert where the bulb is finicky. Sometimes it flakes out and does not work for a while. Maybe you are having bulb issues? I would definitely test with the glass off and try to duplicate the issue. If there is some goofy things going on and all the switches work, I would reload the latest code. You can also have the game do a memory check on boot - I think you hold both flippers while you turn it on to do so.

Quoted from Sparky:

If the inserts were completed (all three blinking), but the hurry-up was not completed (hitting coffin), then they will time-out and all three in that row will re-set, even while the ball is still in play.

I really don't know how to explain it. They were completed, I played a graveyard multiball and then they were not lit anymore. I also had the left ramp and right lane completed but only the graveyard reverted. It definitely wasn't bulbs because I was able to re-complete the shots in the same ball (confirming: I re-lit all three, then hit the coffin to re-complete).

Completing the graveyard inserts is the first thing I go for in every game since allows you to complete shots without changing the lanes, plus it adds to your shots needed to light CIU when you hit grave markers again. I understand the strategy and rules fairly well, which is why I'm flagging this as weird. No one else has had a single shot mysteriously un-light?

I've never heard of the memory check but I'll give it a shot. I imagine I'll be using some gaff or blue painters tape to make that work. Thanks!

#15752 5 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

I really don't know how to explain it. They were completed, I played a graveyard multiball and then they were not lit anymore. I also had the left ramp and right lane completed but only the graveyard reverted. It definitely wasn't bulbs because I was able to re-complete the shots in the same ball (confirming: I re-lit all three, then hit the coffin to re-complete).
Completing the graveyard inserts is the first thing I go for in every game since allows you to complete shots without changing the lanes, plus it adds to your shots needed to light CIU when you hit grave markers again. I understand the strategy and rules fairly well, which is why I'm flagging this as weird. No one else has had a single shot mysteriously un-light?
I've never heard of the memory check but I'll give it a shot. I imagine I'll be using some gaff or blue painters tape to make that work. Thanks!

If it's the way you describe, and it sounds like you understand the rules of the inserts/hurry-ups/S&D, then that is weird. Just to confirm, all three were solid before you started Graveyard Multiball, or were all three blinking before you started Graveyard Multiball?

#15753 5 years ago

Yes, all three were complete and solid. I was annoyed I had to do it again but relieved I was able to do it quickly.

#15754 5 years ago

Your SD card may be corrupt. I would re-load code and if it continues doing weird stuff, get a new SD card from Stern.

#15755 5 years ago

Question for the group: Every once in a while, my ball gets hung up coming out of the shooter lane. Almost like it’s catching an edge or something that kicks it out straight sideways or even up. I can’t visually what is causing this and happens 10%-20% of the time.

Anybody seen this before or have any ideas?

#15756 5 years ago
Quoted from Bcarr:

Question for the group: Every once in a while, my ball gets hung up coming out of the shooter lane. Almost like it’s catching an edge or something that kicks it out straight sideways or even up. I can’t visually what is causing this and happens 10%-20% of the time.
Anybody seen this before or have any ideas?

I'm still experiencing this same issue. do you happen to have one of the older, wooden back box models w/ the wolverine style claws auto plunger?
500-6091-00 (resized).jpg500-6091-00 (resized).jpg

that could a portion of the problem when the balls are launched by the machine due to the fact that everything is offset and a bit of play can cause only one of the "claws" to make contact with the ball. I picked up one of the new assemblies (see below), but still haven't found the time to install it yet
500-9819-00 (resized).jpg500-9819-00 (resized).jpg

if you're having issues when you manually plunge the ball, I would check to see how the rod is striking the ball in the shooter lane. it should strike it dead center. if it doesn't (and makes contact off center, that can put side-spin, top-spin or bottom-spin causing it to not glide up the shooter lane smoothly

you'll want to loosen up the 3 screws that hold the shooter rod assembly and adjust them so that the rod strikes the ball as close to center as possible and then tighten back up. it make take a few attempts to get the location dialed in correctly

#15757 5 years ago

So I’m fairly certain this was the culprit on my skill shot issue. The solder joint broke and was still touching, so it would make contact sometimes but not all the time. I resoldered it quickly and it seems to be working again.

Note: this photo was taken after I pulled the diode back to dramatize the separation.

I also did the memory check and it seems to be OK.

46276A11-C1FA-4678-82FF-E3D16F6E0CAB (resized).jpeg46276A11-C1FA-4678-82FF-E3D16F6E0CAB (resized).jpeg885ED70A-FF12-41E1-81BB-D783C1BB634A (resized).jpeg885ED70A-FF12-41E1-81BB-D783C1BB634A (resized).jpeg
#15758 5 years ago

Nice catch!

#15759 5 years ago

Ah, the old broken diode trick. If I had a dollar for every time I've seen that....

#15760 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I'm still experiencing this same issue. do you happen to have one of the older, wooden back box models w/ the wolverine style claws auto plunger?
[quoted image]
that could a portion of the problem when the balls are launched by the machine due to the fact that everything is offset and a bit of play can cause only one of the "claws" to make contact with the ball. I picked up one of the new assemblies (see below), but still haven't found the time to install it yet
[quoted image]
if you're having issues when you manually plunge the ball, I would check to see how the rod is striking the ball in the shooter lane. it should strike it dead center. if it doesn't (and makes contact off center, that can put side-spin, top-spin or bottom-spin causing it to not glide up the shooter lane smoothly
you'll want to loosen up the 3 screws that hold the shooter rod assembly and adjust them so that the rod strikes the ball as close to center as possible and then tighten back up. it make take a few attempts to get the location dialed in correctly

I have the newer style metal back box but I can see that the plunger is defintely off center. I will try and adjust it to see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the info man!

#15761 5 years ago
Quoted from Bcarr:

I have the newer style metal back box but I can see that the plunger is defintely off center. I will try and adjust it to see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the info man!

Can the auto plunger be adjusted as well. I've had issues with my manual and auto,plunge since day one. I have adjusted the manual plunger with some success.

#15762 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Can the auto plunger be adjusted as well. I've had issues with my manual and auto,plunge since day one. I have adjusted the manual plunger with some success.

My auto plunger worked great for a long time and then developed the "rattle up the shooter lane" problem. I had to bend the forks so that both the forks stayed in contact with the ball all the way to the end of the stroke. It's been 100% now for over a year.

#15763 5 years ago

My ball ejects out of the ball trough so damn hard that its insane, sometimes hits the wooden rail and bounces backwards onto the playfield. Im afraid its going to damage something. Can a coil go bad and be too powerful?

#15764 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

My ball ejects out of the ball trough so damn hard that its insane, sometimes hits the wooden rail and bounces backwards onto the playfield. Im afraid its going to damage something. Can a coil go bad and be too powerful?

Nope. Something else is causing this. Show us some pictures of the hood where the ball exits the trough. Maybe a weld broke or something. Also maybe it’s possibly you have the wrong coil in the trough and it’s too strong. Has it done this from day one?

#15765 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Nope. Something else is causing this. Show us some pictures of the hood where the ball exits the trough. Maybe a weld broke or something. Also maybe it’s possibly you have the wrong coil in the trough and it’s too strong. Has it done this from day one?

No it kinda seems like it started happening after the last code update but obviously its not related to that or everyone would be having the same issue. I will look at that eject hood tonight. Ive got to get it corrected whatever it is i know that much.

#15766 5 years ago

Ahhh, that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you post a picture of a game you love, and the swell dude that designed it gives you a nod.

MetLife (resized).jpgMetLife (resized).jpg
#15767 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

No it kinda seems like it started happening after the last code update but obviously its not related to that or everyone would be having the same issue. I will look at that eject hood tonight. Ive got to get it corrected whatever it is i know that much.

Mine started doing it right after the code update too - it ejects from the trough and usually goes forward 8 inches or so before falling back down to the plunger. I've never looked into it.

#15768 5 years ago

Changing the G.I. Bulbs

I want to change some of the G.I. Bulbs in my met pro led version, 2018 model. I find some of the bulbs over blinding. Especially on the left side in the orange area.

I have no experience at this so I am looking for some assistance. Some questions:

1) are the g.i. bulbs changed out from above the play field? If above it seems a lot of plastics have to be removed. Or under play field?

2) comet pinball sell frosted bulbs, anyone try frosted bulbs? They have this "sunlight" bulb but would that be too dull in the frosted version?

3) it looks like the majority of the bulbs on my machine are wedge type, except the slings are bayonet type. What type are in the backboard behind Sparky?

I am going to try to color match the orange plastics with frosted orange bulbs, my only concern is will they be bright enough under the plastics?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Mike

#15769 5 years ago

1) above or below

2) frosted are great. Not too dull get the 2835 two smd ones.

3)bayonet

4)just do sunlight white under that orange plastic.

#15770 5 years ago
Quoted from Sixmillion:

Changing the G.I. Bulbs
I want to change some of the G.I. Bulbs in my met pro led version, 2018 model. I find some of the bulbs over blinding. Especially on the left side in the orange area.
I have no experience at this so I am looking for some assistance. Some questions:
1) are the g.i. bulbs changed out from above the play field? If above it seems a lot of plastics have to be removed. Or under play field?
2) comet pinball sell frosted bulbs, anyone try frosted bulbs? They have this "sunlight" bulb but would that be too dull in the frosted version?
3) it looks like the majority of the bulbs on my machine are wedge type, except the slings are bayonet type. What type are in the backboard behind Sparky?
I am going to try to color match the orange plastics with frosted orange bulbs, my only concern is will they be bright enough under the plastics?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

Buy a couple flex bulbs in your order to try in various places. I used 2 in the left area you mentioned and just point them away from the player

#15771 5 years ago

Put a really loud knocker in my Metallica and I'm loving it. Nothing like a good solid crack especially on a hard rock pin! I set the extra game to 30M just to make sure I hear it a lot! FYI, setting it up to hit the back of the cabinet works best. I hit all over the cabinet with my knuckle to find a spot that really resonated well. Back of the cabinet is definitely great.

If you really want to make it loud, think about using a 23-700 coil or even a 22-600 coil if you want to risk knocking the back of the cabinet off.

#15772 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Mine started doing it right after the code update too - it ejects from the trough and usually goes forward 8 inches or so before falling back down to the plunger. I've never looked into it.

Yep you got it Fezmid and occasionally mine biunces out onto the damn playfield even. Why would our games be doing that and not everyone elses? i dont like it even a little bit.

#15773 5 years ago

Could someone explain this aspect of multiball better for me please.
I just had a really good game. I was getting multiball after multiball but I'm confused about some parts.
I was on ball 3.
I completed a grave MB and a snake mb on this ball.
I had sparky lit up for 2nd mb but activated coffin mb first.
I then hit sparky during coffin and got the "hey kid, I'm not sure if...." but no electrocution.
When I was down to my last ball everything went back to normal play/music track (it had been playing coffin track) but sparky was flashing again for mb.
I hit sparky this time and got nothing but a reset back down to the first light with no mb.
Then I drained for a game over.
What was going on there? I dont usually get so many mb on 1 ball so I'm not sure what happened exactly. Thanks

#15774 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

When I was down to my last ball everything went back to normal play/music track (it had been playing coffin track) but sparky was flashing again for mb.

Was this right after ending the MB? Could have been sparky jackpot still lit in the short grace period after MB concluded.

#15775 5 years ago

Graveyard, Snake and Sparky MB all run alone, once you start one you need to return to one ball to start another. coffin MB can started on its own AND then you can start any other one MB while coffin is running like you did OR coffin can be stacked with any of the already running MB’s. The behaviour you saw of Sparky flashing once draining all of the balls but one and then hitting it does sound like what RobF suggested that the Sparky jackpot may have been still lit, how long after the last of the MB balls drained did you make the Sparky shot?

All MB’s have a one add-a-ball available to it by making all 4 pick targets during MB and then shooting the snake, this turns snake and graveyard into 3 ball MB’s and Sparky into a 4 ball and also starts a 2X scoring... combine that while running Fuel on Sparky MB and get the awesome Super Jackpot callout!

#15776 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

1) above or below
2) frosted are great. Not too dull get the 2835 two smd ones.
3)bayonet
4)just do sunlight white under that orange plastic.

Chuck you are a wealth of information! Thanks pal.

#15777 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yep you got it Fezmid and occasionally mine biunces out onto the damn playfield even. Why would our games be doing that and not everyone elses? i dont like it even a little bit.

Well, while mine don't bounce onto the play field, it does hit damm hard against the side of the shooter lane and sometimes bounce back down into the trough. This is nothing new for me since the code update because mine has been doing this since day 1. I do occasionally still get 2 balls coming from the trough into the shooter lane.

#15778 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Just thought of this. Get this and see if it helps. Maybe some sticky felt on it too to help deaden the impact.

https://www.pinballlife.com/pinguard-ball-shooter-lane-kickout-protector-kit-for-stern-machines.html

#15779 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Just thought of this. Get this and see if it helps. Maybe some sticky felt on it too to help deaden the impact.
https://www.pinballlife.com/pinguard-ball-shooter-lane-kickout-protector-kit-for-stern-machines.html

I have a kickout protector but could stick a piece of ball dead drop foam on it and see if that helps, never thought about that. My biggest fear honestly is that it could damage the shooter lane. I dont really think it is hitting the shooter lane itself but it ckmes out so fast that its hard to tell. I do have a cliffy on there also so im probably ok as far as the shooter lane goes. Sure would be nice if there was a trough eject power adjustment on the game. I will try a oiece of ball dead drop foam though and report back later today. Good suggestion.

#15780 5 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Was this right after ending the MB? Could have been sparky jackpot still lit in the short grace period after MB concluded.

I dont feel like I drained quite that fast but it is definitely a possibility I hadn't considered.

#15781 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

All MB’s have a one add-a-ball available to it by making all 4 pick targets during MB and then shooting the snake, this turns snake and graveyard into 3 ball MB’s and Sparky into a 4 ball and also starts a 2X scoring... combine that while running Fuel on Sparky MB and get the awesome Super Jackpot callout!

Oh, I'm aware. I get so mad if I dont add to the 2 ball multiballs.

#15782 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I have a kickout protector but could stick a piece of ball dead drop foam on it and see if that helps, never thought about that. My biggest fear honestly is that it could damage the shooter lane. I dont really think it is hitting the shooter lane itself but it ckmes out so fast that its hard to tell. I do have a cliffy on there also so im probably ok as far as the shooter lane goes. Sure would be nice if there was a trough eject power adjustment on the game. I will try a oiece of ball dead drop foam though and report back later today. Good suggestion.

You’re definitely having a mechanical issue. So inspect that trough area closely and see if anything is a miss. Even down where the ball rests on the kicker. Maybe something is down there causing it to sit cock eyed?

#15783 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You’re definitely having a mechanical issue. So inspect that trough area closely and see if anything is a miss. Even down where the ball rests on the kicker. Maybe something is down there causing it to sit cock eyed?

Will do tonight for sure. I think we are heading to pins mechanical in a few minutes so i wont be home until tonight.

#15784 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Will do tonight for sure. I think we are heading to pins mechanical in a few minutes so i wont be home until tonight.

Lucky! Have fun!

#15785 5 years ago

Oh boy ... in the club for years. MET was my first NIB pin and is still in my collection. Yesterday I tried to update my ColorDMD and also the gamecode.
The ColorDMD was not able to get updates, I had to solder 2 solderpoints for ground. Afterwards the update worked.
Updated the pin ..... afterwards 20 volts and 50 volts were missing. The interlock switch was pressed but still in the display the message that the interlock is open, therefor no power. So I ordered a new interlock .. arrived totay. 5 Euro the interlock switch ... 5 Euro overnightshipping. Swapped the switches and .. the new switch the connectorblades are smaller. had to press the cableclamps togheter ... and ... nothing.
Afterwards i checked the fuses and fuse 10 was burnded ... for any reason ... no idea why ... swapped it and now DMD and pin are up to date. Already made a great game with over 450.000 point. Old GC before the update was 750.000 points.
Meanwhile I bought a Munsters 2 weeks ago, will sell it this week. MET stays at the home ! That tells all ....

#15786 5 years ago

I thought a MET owner may like this. PM me if interested.

Mod - For Sale
New (selling multiple, business) - “- Very high quality metal METALLICA sign mod - This is thick. It’s not a cheap, thin piece of metal. Super tough looking!! - Comes with detailed mounting instructions and necessa...”
2019-05-29
Howell, MI
24 (Firm)
Archived after: 48 days
Viewed: 291 times

#15787 5 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

I thought a MET owner may like this. PM me if interested.

Mod - For Sale
Metallica metal sign modNew!New “- Very high quality metal METALLICA sign mod
- This is thick. It’s not a cheap, thin piece of metal. Super tough looking!!
- Comes with detailed mounting instructions and necessa...”
23 hours ago Howell, MI 24 (Firm)
Jimmyhonda

Why wouldn’t they just buy the belt buckle off of eBay for $14 shipped?

#15788 5 years ago

because it comes with an installation kit.

Quoted from mattosborn:

Why wouldn’t they just buy the belt buckle off of eBay for $14 shipped?

#15789 5 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

because it comes with an installation kit.

This gave me a good laugh.

Even with the "installation kit", it's just a big ugly belt buckle on a otherwise beautiful game. What's the opposite of lipstick on a pig? You're looking at it.

#15790 5 years ago

It's not even an official Metallica product. That logo is not done well. The M and A are the most obvious but then whole thing is wonky looking

Screenshot_20190216-204859_Google (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190216-204859_Google (resized).jpg

Screenshot_20190216-205153_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190216-205153_Chrome (resized).jpg
#15791 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I didnt see anything that looked broken or anything but i did put some ball dead drop foam on the kick out rail like you suggested and it really helped a lot, good suggestion!

This is just a small piece of foam and its hard to see how it sits in there but you cant let it go down very low or the ball will hit it when you plunge the ball so just put a small piece at the top of the rail and test it (with the game off) and cut it to the size you need. This really helped and makes me feel much better now about the trough ejects.
20190216_215148 (resized).jpg20190216_215148 (resized).jpg

#15792 5 years ago

Awesome. Glad that helped. The interference with the plunge is why I suggested sticky felt or the soft side of Velcro. Either way, glad it’s better now.

#15793 5 years ago

This helped me with mine too. I was having similar issues. Thanks.

#15794 5 years ago

I should have moved it forward toward the top of the playfield just a tad but its hitting it everytime still.

#15795 5 years ago

I havent opened it up yet but I went from everything being fine Friday night to last night the Snake doesnt detect or eject until ball search kicks in. I'm assuming/hoping I just need to realign the opto but I'm no pro. Its just a bit weird to go from working to not working over night while turned off. Any advance tips before I get in there tomorrow? Thanks.

#15796 5 years ago

Could someone post a pic of the snake switch. Mine looks like it may be bent. Cheers

#15797 5 years ago

Does anyone know an accurate part number for the flasher inside the grave marker cross on a Pro? The manual lists it as part number 112-5041-08, but when I look at the picture of that part on the Marco site it looks far too large to fit inside the body of the cross. Someone posted a while back that it was a standard 906 flasher but that’s also too large to fit. This pic is what was in it (and I don’t think it ever worked since I got the game NIB) and a 906 flasher for comparison. Any help appreciated!

EC67E95F-5DD3-4192-BE44-B63AD0BAE262 (resized).jpegEC67E95F-5DD3-4192-BE44-B63AD0BAE262 (resized).jpeg
#15798 5 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

Does anyone know an accurate part number for the flasher inside the grave marker cross on a Pro? The manual lists it as part number 112-5041-08, but when I look at the picture of that part on the Marco site it looks far too large to fit inside the body of the cross.

112-5041-08 looks like the correct size, but is a 5 LED flasher (4-sides and top) instead of having just the one forward facing LED
2019-02-18 10_57_10-Marco Specialties Pinball Parts (resized).jpg2019-02-18 10_57_10-Marco Specialties Pinball Parts (resized).jpg

you might reach out to stern and see if they have another part no. for it since everything that I've attempted to search on doesn't appear to bring up what you've got

this is the only other bulb that is remotely close (but it is also a 5 LED bulb
2019-02-18 11_01_14-Marco Specialties Pinball Parts (resized).jpg2019-02-18 11_01_14-Marco Specialties Pinball Parts (resized).jpg

#15799 5 years ago

New to the Met Pro club. Curious to what a stock from the factory Met Pro looked like? Any pics or brochures out there I can use to compare against mine. Would like to know what was added.

#15800 5 years ago
Quoted from t2:

New to the Met Pro club. Curious to what a stock from the factory Met Pro looked like? Any pics or brochures out there I can use to compare against mine. Would like to know what was added.

Available as pdf.
https://sternpinball.com/game/metallica/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 29.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 21,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 316 of 434.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/316?hl=atrain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.