2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg
IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,662 posts in this topic. You are on page 314 of 434.
#15651 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I would recommend overdoing the mods
I have lots on my met and absolutely love them. Pinball is about fun, so getting all my money back is not the goal.
[quoted image]

I dont think that looks over-modded at all. I like it!

#15652 5 years ago
Quoted from Indypin:

I dont think that looks over-modded at all. I like it!

Well, I'm a topper guy, then there's the side rails, shooter rod, undercab and translite led kits, sub, it never ends

IMG_20190206_183631778 (resized).jpgIMG_20190206_183631778 (resized).jpg
#15653 5 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

That is very strange. I would try doing a factory reset. If that doesn't fix it you might try reloading the 1.80 code, if that's possible.

My guess is that there is a new 1.80 bug that corrupts the RAM in a specific way. Fun fact about SAM; when the RAM is corrupted, neither a full reset, nor a code reflash is likely to clear it out. In those cases, the only way to clear it is to power it down and pull the coin battery. However, the residual voltage left on the chip keeps the memory alive for DAYS. If you find yourself in this situation, the solution is to short the VCC pin on RAM chip to ground using a couple test clips (with power and battery removed of course).

I know this because the first total light show board that I added was faulty and would corrupt the RAM on the first power on. The game would behave really wacky. In one case all switches reported to being faulty. Every single one of them, even though they would pass individual tests. After replacing the CPU board, it would seemingly play fine, but in the middle of a game, the score would start freaking out (flashing random numbers) and then jump to some ridiculous score, like 61B or something. It took quite a while for me to figure out what the problem was because pulling power and the battery did not change the behavior. When I checked voltage on the chip, I was surprised to find that it stayed above the min storage voltage (2.3v IIRC) after 3 days on the bench.

#15654 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Well, I'm a topper guy, then there's the side rails, shooter rod, undercab and translite led kits, sub, it never ends
[quoted image]

That looks great but why no Leg Lights.

#15655 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That looks great but why no Leg Lights.

LOL, because I know how this works.... Met gets awesome purple leg lights.

GB looks so sad without green. SW now needs blue. AFM needs red. Whirlwind needs blue..........

#15656 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

GB looks so sad without green. SW now needs blue. AFM needs red. Whirlwind needs blue..........

This also applies to art blades, color dmd, colored rubbers and Lays potato chips. Cant stop at one.

#15657 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

This also applies to art blades, color dmd, colored rubbers and Lays potato chips. Cant stop at one.

Yep, I have colordmd, blades or mirrors in every game that they fit in

#15658 5 years ago

ColorDMD updated for 1.80, just if anyone missed the email:

7915BEC0-B2DC-4E61-8FAD-32EA43AD15CD (resized).png7915BEC0-B2DC-4E61-8FAD-32EA43AD15CD (resized).png
#15659 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

True but after the first kit (2 legs) I give a $10 per kit discount and my shipping is always Free.

#15660 5 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

ColorDMD updated for 1.80, just if anyone missed the email:[quoted image]

I've never updated a ColorDMD - is it hard? Any "gotchas" to look out for?

#15661 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Super easy. It's the same process you have to do when you buy a new colorDMD.

#15662 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I use an older/smaller USB drive formatted to FAT32.

It’s 128MB!

This update file was only 5-6MB I think.

#15663 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

The LED is a direct replacement. The LCD is basically a laptop display and has to be mounted an inch or so back on MET. Vireland makes a cool gasket that fills the gap and gives it a nice finished look. I think colordmd sells it now and highly recommend it. I prefer the look of the LCD and you have a handful of display options. If you are not sure which one to get, just go with LCD. LED is mostly for games like CV where the LCD will not fit.
I wouldn't overdo the mods. Easy to spend hundreds if not thousands on mods and hard to get that money back. Besides the stuff you mentioned, I suggest an external subwoofer if you can find one cheap. I also really like the following - cheap and effective:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1087-wcp/00873-cross-pattern-light-blocking-insert-metallica-pro-premium-le

Thanks so much for the help and info. I watched several other videos and read a lot of threads. I think what was shying me away from the LCD is I watched a video of it really up close and while it looked good in Hi Def, I wasn’t sold on it, but then I watched another couple of videos that had it at a distance and OMG, yeah I’m sold, so I went ahead and got an LCD, the extra standoff since I’m getting one of the newer LED ones with the metal back box and I also got that stretch gasket (Vireland’s) from the ColorDMD site. I couldn’t believe how fast it shipped, I was thinking it would take a week or so but it’s showing to be here tomorrow, WOW.

Quoted from yzfguy:

I would recommend overdoing the mods
I have lots on my met and absolutely love them. Pinball is about fun, so getting all my money back is not the goal.

Yeah, I know what you mean, it can easily get crazy. I just like to get some mods, protection but don’t want to overload it unless I just really like it. So far I’m getting the below:

-Mantis Scoop Protector (Still might get a Cliffy or two but prefer the hidden protectors).
-Pinbits Protectors (For all the plastics and the extra Sparky airball protector).
-Mezel Mods Fangs & Gel Inserts (Had to have the fangs and figured I’d try out the gel inserts. I would have gotten the other gel insert that has the bracket but Mezel’s, while it’s just gel sheets, came with the green fuel stand up inserts.
-Marcospecialties Mylar (Read a few threads that the Ironman Mylar circles works perfect for both of the magnets (Sparky and Cross).
-ColorDMD LCD (Got the gasket and extra standoffs too. Talk about fate, the day after I ordered it, ColorDMD releases updated code, it’s a sign man LOL).
-Pinball Life Feet, Kickout Protector (Have rubber feet on my others and a lot of recommendations to install this small metal piece on the kickout shooter lane).

Future Mods
-PinGraffix 3D Snake Mod - I think they are going to have an updated version out soon since they are currently sold out.
-External Sub - The Polk one that everyone raves about on Amazon. Keeping an eye to see if\when the price drops. I would love to use this for my MMR and Metallica but I am not sure where it would sit as a lot of pics I’ve seen have it under one machine, but if it is shared between two, do you leave it under one or put it between the two? Any advice is appreciated.
-Mezel Mods Sparky Wires - Still up in the air on this and whether to get the one wire or two, not a must have just yet.
-Shaker Motor - Still up in the air on this as I have one on my MMR and while it’s nice, just not a necessity just yet. If I get it, was going to get Pinball Life’s version but then I saw that service bulletin from Stern that says any use of a non-Stern shaker, voids your warranty, so still pondering this.
- Mirror or Side Blades - Not sure about this as I did try to get some for my MMR but the tolerances on my machine were so tight, one ramp even touches the cabinet, that I ended up returning it rather than trying to install and ruining it. Still not sold on these yet either but maybe eventually.

I think that covers me for mods and I am cut off for a while as my MMR was supposed to be the only pin I got for now but since they stopped making Metallica’s, my amazing, beautiful and awesome wife gave me the blessing

Quoted from Roostking:

Congrats!! Don't forget to add an external subwoofer. Makes a huge difference!!

Thanks and it’s on my future mods list.

Thanks again everyone for all the congrats, advice and help. It’s amazing how slow time goes by when waiting for your pin to ship LOL

Take care everyone

#15664 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Eddie:

-PinGraffix 3D Snake Mod - I think they are going to have an updated version out soon since they are currently sold out.
-External Sub - The Polk one that everyone raves about on Amazon. Keeping an eye to see if\when the price drops. I would love to use this for my MMR and Metallica but I am not sure where it would sit as a lot of pics I’ve seen have it under one machine, but if it is shared between two, do you leave it under one or put it between the two? Any advice is appreciated.

Bass is omnidirectional, meaning you can't pinpoint the source -- so you can put the sub wherever you want.

#15665 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Bass is omnidirectional, meaning you can't pinpoint the source -- so you can put the sub wherever you want.

Sure bass is omidirectional but placement is still important as it tends to create more standing waves than higher frequencies. Bass will sound better from one spot in a room than another depending on what's in the room, if you're unlucky you could place it in a spot that produces really poor base when standing directly in front of the pin.

#15666 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Color DMDs older than May 2013 will require a new key to work correctly after the update. Check this link if that applies to you: https://www.colordmd.com/Support_Keys.html

How do I know that? Because I forgot mine is older, and after the upgrade the screen was back to a very dim orange and shifted halfway down so you could only see half the visuals. I figured I could still play even though I couldn't see crap, so I fired up a game and dropped this little gem.

I'd never broken 800mil, let alone with a freakin' 4 in front of it, and never started more than 3 CIU modes. Hell I played two more AFTER dropping out of EOL. Huge 2x collect on FWTBT, and at least 6 super collects in End of the Line. Stock settings on latest code, and I did get 2-3 extra balls but not really sure since I couldn't see what ball I was on. Figures I finally get there, beat the snot out of the machine, and didn't get to see any of the animations along the way!

So, go update your DMD and bust out a new GC score!

503056-759-44 (resized).jpg503056-759-44 (resized).jpg
#15667 5 years ago

Thanks so much for the help and info. I watched several other videos and read a lot of threads. I think what was shying me away from the LCD is I watched a video of it really up close and while it looked good in Hi Def, I wasn’t sold on it, but then I watched another couple of videos that had it at a distance and OMG, yeah I’m sold, so I went ahead and got an LCD, the extra standoff since I’m getting one of the newer LED ones with the metal back box and I also got that stretch gasket (Vireland’s) from the ColorDMD site. I couldn’t believe how fast it shipped, I was thinking it would take a week or so but it’s showing to be here tomorrow, WOW.

Yeah, I know what you mean, it can easily get crazy. I just like to get some mods, protection but don’t want to overload it unless I just really like it. So far I’m getting the below:
-Mantis Scoop Protector (Still might get a Cliffy or two but prefer the hidden protectors).
-Pinbits Protectors (For all the plastics and the extra Sparky airball protector).
-Mezel Mods Fangs & Gel Inserts (Had to have the fangs and figured I’d try out the gel inserts. I would have gotten the other gel insert that has the bracket but Mezel’s, while it’s just gel sheets, came with the green fuel stand up inserts.
-Marcospecialties Mylar (Read a few threads that the Ironman Mylar circles works perfect for both of the magnets (Sparky and Cross).
-ColorDMD LCD (Got the gasket and extra standoffs too. Talk about fate, the day after I ordered it, ColorDMD releases updated code, it’s a sign man LOL).
-Pinball Life Feet, Kickout Protector (Have rubber feet on my others and a lot of recommendations to install this small metal piece on the kickout shooter lane).
Future Mods
-Mezel Mods Sparky Wires - Still up in the air on this and whether to get the one wire or two, not a must have just yet.
-Shaker Motor - Still up in the air on this as I have one on my MMR and while it’s nice, just not a necessity just yet. If I get it, was going to get Pinball Life’s version but then I saw that service bulletin from Stern that says any use of a non-Stern shaker, voids your warranty, so still pondering this.
- Mirror or Side Blades - Not sure about this as I did try to get some for my MMR but the tolerances on my machine were so tight, one ramp even touches the cabinet, that I ended up returning it rather than trying to install and ruining it. Still not sold on these yet either but maybe eventually.
I think that covers me for mods and I am cut off for a while as my MMR was supposed to be the only pin I got for now but since they stopped making Metallica’s, my amazing, beautiful and awesome wife gave me the blessing

Thanks again everyone for all the congrats, advice and help. It’s amazing how slow time goes by when waiting for your pin to ship LOL
Take care everyone

The only insert you need is for the ciu mode tree. Everything else is normal lighting you can change on your own
Mezel just send pieces of film you can buy at an art supply store.
I can recommend the cemetery arch mod though. It was a late addition to my game and I really like it.(once i swapped the red light srrip for purple)
F you are going to do the 3d snake you will lose sight of the upper roll overs. $3 car mirrors from the dollar store

20190208_141726 (resized).jpg20190208_141726 (resized).jpg20190208_141738(0) (resized).jpg20190208_141738(0) (resized).jpg
#15668 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Well, I'm a topper guy

What... The... Hell... Now my nightmares are fed for the next year.

#15669 5 years ago
Quoted from msarac:

So, go update your DMD and bust out a new GC score![quoted image]

I couldn't get 4 billion even if I took the glass off. Impressive!

#15670 5 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

ColorDMD updated for 1.80, just if anyone missed the email:[quoted image]

Speaking of updating. I set my ColorDMD on HiRes for Metallica. What are you guys running? I am tempted to try Scan for a while. Definitely not 8-bit with those animations.

#15671 5 years ago
Quoted from Draegermeister:

Speaking of updating. I set my ColorDMD on HiRes for Metallica. What are you guys running? I am tempted to try Scan for a while. Definitely not 8-bit with those animations.

DotsXL.

#15672 5 years ago

Scan is my fave

#15673 5 years ago

Does anyone around Champaign, Il. Or surrounding area have a Metallica Premium I could play a few games on?.... Thinking of selling Pro for a Premium....

#15674 5 years ago
Quoted from bsobie:

Does anyone around Champaign, Il. Or surrounding area have a Metallica Premium I could play a few games on?.... Thinking of selling Pro for a Premium....

Do it.

#15675 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

The only insert you need is for the ciu mode tree. Everything else is normal lighting you can change on your own
Mezel just send pieces of film you can buy at an art supply store.
I can recommend the cemetery arch mod though. It was a late addition to my game and I really like it.(once i swapped the red light srrip for purple)
F you are going to do the 3d snake you will lose sight of the upper roll overs. $3 car mirrors from the dollar store
[quoted image][quoted image]

Mirror or Dirty Donny Guitar Pick lights (shameless self promotion).
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1171-pinball-z/02184-elevated-rollover-lane-lights-metallica-pro

#15676 5 years ago

Future Mods

Take care everyone

in my opinion the shaker is awesome on Met for many reasons. The 3D snake mod is also great, and would recommend a full Cliffy set if u don't already have one....

#15677 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

Sure bass is omidirectional but placement is still important as it tends to create more standing waves than higher frequencies. Bass will sound better from one spot in a room than another depending on what's in the room, if you're unlucky you could place it in a spot that produces really poor base when standing directly in front of the pin.

While true, its a cheap mod that makes a huge difference.

#15678 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

While true, its a cheap mod that makes a huge difference.

Agree 100% was just getting picky on the details of sub placement is all

#15679 5 years ago
Quoted from bsobie:

Do it. The BOOOM when the hammer crushes the ball, with a sub and shaker is worth the price of admission.

#15680 5 years ago
Quoted from bsobie:

If ya wanna drive 3 hours you can come play mine. A lot of people don't care for it, but the hammer is irreplaceable imho.

#15681 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

If ya wanna drive 3 hours you can come play mine. A lot of people don't care for it, but the hammer is irreplaceable imho.

I love the hammer... spinner and functional snake! If someone would trade me my pro for a premium I'd add some cash to the deal for sure

#15682 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

I love the hammer... spinner and functional snake! If someone would trade me my pro for a premium I'd add some cash to the deal for sure

One of the hammer city pin guys has a premium. Ask him how he feel about a trade. Cant hurt.

#15683 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Greatly appreciated!... Actually, I have a brother in Indy. And also, my wife and I like going to Indy.... Have you played a Pro? If so, what is your opinion on both?

#15684 5 years ago

I have a brother in Indy too!
He's a fucking crackhead and I punch him every time I see him.

#15685 5 years ago

Does the Pro and Premium play different?

#15686 5 years ago
Quoted from bsobie:

Not at all.
That was sarcasm. As usual, pro is faster.

#15687 5 years ago
Quoted from bsobie:

yes and no....same lay out, ramps, etc...the biggest difference is the coffin lock, hammer, snake, spinners, and light show.....I've had both and really liked both games

#15688 5 years ago
Quoted from bsobie:

Both games are great. If money is not a problem then get a premium because the extras are well worth the upgrade imo. If you don't want to or cant spend the extra cash then get a pro and dont look back. You will be happy with either game because they both are just really good.

#15689 5 years ago

Finally got a decent score on this machine! Still not as good as many I see in here but it’s a start. This game gets better every time I play it!

60D529B0-AF62-441D-9D37-E146987B16CD (resized).jpeg60D529B0-AF62-441D-9D37-E146987B16CD (resized).jpeg
#15690 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Not at all.
That was sarcasm. As usual, pro is faster.

'Pro is faster' is one of the greatest cliches on Pinside. It's marginally faster if you mean there's less toys for the ball to interact with.

Rob

#15691 5 years ago

Why yes Rob, that's exactly what I meant.

#15692 5 years ago
Quoted from Bcarr:

Finally got a decent score on this machine! Still not as good as many I see in here but it’s a start. This game gets better every time I play it!
[quoted image]

Any score or 10M is good in my books!!!! I've had 1M games and that's with nobody home and it's all by myself with NO DISTRACTIONS!

#15693 5 years ago
Quoted from woody6092:

Any score or 10M is good in my books!!!! I've had 1M games and that's with nobody home and it's all by myself with NO DISTRACTIONS!

Ok, I am NOT a good pinball player yet but how do you have a 1m game?
I can get that from the first plunge with some luck. Without ever touching the flippers I can get well over 1m in a game.

#15694 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I can get that from the first plunge with some luck. Without ever touching the flippers I can get well over 1m in a game.

HAHA....I should take pictures and post? Dead serious, I HAVE had a couple of jackass games end just over 1M!

#15695 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I had a 2 mil game last night. My best is 400,000,000ish, it happens..

#15696 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I had a 2 mil game last night. My best is 400,000,000ish, it happens..

Thank you @roostking! It sounds crazy but I really have hit under 2M before!

#15697 5 years ago

That’s what I love (and hate) about pinball...skill is required for high scores...but there is always an element of luck. It’s all how the ball bounces

#15698 5 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

That’s what I love (and hate) about pinball...skill is required for high scores...but there is always an element of luck. It’s all how the ball bounces

IMO....the other element is finding a pin that you LOVE to HATE and HATE to LOVE. Metallica.....is my favorite band. The pin? Hates me!

#15699 5 years ago
Quoted from woody6092:

IMO....the other element is finding a pin that you LOVE to HATE and HATE to LOVE. Metallica.....is my favorite band. The pin? Hates me!

Play better... . Took me a year of owning it to really figure out the rules. Still working on EOTL.

#15700 5 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Play better... . Took me a year of owning it to really figure out the rules. Still working on EOTL.

My problem with not getting to the EOTL is that I love the progression of the scoring and lighting effects the farther you get into the mode. Plus James taunts you if you are thinking about cashing out. I need to just get in and out of each CUI, so I can finally reach EOTL. After that, Ill raise the extraball threshold lol. Love this pin!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 29.95
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 21,662 posts in this topic. You are on page 314 of 434.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/314?hl=6point5degrees and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.