C7302EC0-E40C-4401-A735-26261435813E (resized).jpeg
38320F75-D438-4EC6-B8F0-EA529FC5A079 (resized).jpeg
51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,663 posts in this topic. You are on page 306 of 434.
#15251 5 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

I've always thought that my Met sounded rather crappy and just figured that was how it is. I have TZ next to it and they sound equally as craptastic. Yesterday, I finished up my JP and decided to hook up the cab speaker which has torn paper (will replace when I figure out what I want to do)... Anyway, that JP rocks compared to Met.
What gives... Does this seem right? I reached in and did notice the cab speaker on Met was moving a tiny bit. Yeah.. yeah everyone says to get a sub. I figured that if I got a sub then I'd piss the wife off too often.

Get a sub!

#15252 5 years ago

Yeah...yeah.

#15253 5 years ago

I had AC/DC and it sounded way better. This Met never really sounded very good. AC/DC had a much larger speaker in the cab but that JP is a small crappy speaker like Met

#15254 5 years ago

I’m messing around with subs now..... have been for a couple weeks.... the Polk psw108 or psw10 are a perfect match for pins. When a sub is hooked up, especially to Metallica, the gameplay is in a whole new realm.

#15255 5 years ago

I was gonna get an external sub, but read it’ll make it make it muddy, too much bass. I replaced my backbox speakers with high end speakers for more treble/tweeter...it sounds awesome! Balanced, yet booming, with the stock sub. Never would have guessed boosting the high end would’ve done this.

#15256 5 years ago

Mine seems to really lack the boom. I think my phone can make more bass... This is only a slight exaggeration.

#15257 5 years ago

When I installed new backbox speakers, I found that the factory (Stern) had installed them wrong (reversed the polarity). Check that your speakers are installed correctly according to the manual. This will make a difference in the sound.

#15258 5 years ago

I had a pinnovators adapter connected to a high end Velodyne sub and it was just too much bass for my taste. I removed it and dialed in the Flipper Fidelity speakers and like the sound a lot better. I need to install anti-rattle tape on the glass, the game rattles badly in the CIU song selection mode.

#15259 5 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

I've always thought that my Met sounded rather crappy and just figured that was how it is. I have TZ next to it and they sound equally as craptastic. Yesterday, I finished up my JP and decided to hook up the cab speaker which has torn paper (will replace when I figure out what I want to do)... Anyway, that JP rocks compared to Met.
What gives... Does this seem right? I reached in and did notice the cab speaker on Met was moving a tiny bit. Yeah.. yeah everyone says to get a sub. I figured that if I got a sub then I'd piss the wife off too often.

Sub doesn't have to be turned up that much to make a big difference. I have mine setup rather low and it works great. It makes a big enough difference I want all my games on a sub.

#15260 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Every time you hit a pop 10 times, one of the lights are lit. Then when you hit the target behind fuel, you blow the number of pistons that are lit. This was broken on the old code but is apparently fixed now. Get 15 blown pistons (configurable) for an extra ball.

Cool. This makes sense to me now. How do you get more pistons lit though? Thanks for input. This all has completely changed how I'm playing it now after owning it for a few years.

#15261 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Every time you hit a pop 10 times, one of the lights are lit. Then when you hit the target behind fuel, you blow the number of pistons that are lit. This was broken on the old code but is apparently fixed now. Get 15 blown pistons (configurable) for an extra ball.

Quoted from konghusker:

Cool. This makes sense to me now. How do you get more pistons lit though? Thanks for input. This all has completely changed how I'm playing it now after owning it for a few years.

First line of Fezmid response.

#15262 5 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

First line of fezmid response.

To expand on the answer... on each pop bumper hit you will see a countdown associated with the pop that you hit on the DMD, when that get's to zero the corresponding light gets lit by the piston target and you go back to 10 and work your way down again. So once you've got those lights lit you need to shoot the piston target as I don't believe the hits stack... meaning if you work a pop down to 0 and then start at 10 and work it down to zero again you are only going to get one blown piston for it.

#15263 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

To expand on the answer... on each pop bumper hit you will see a countdown associated with the pop that you hit on the DMD, when that get's to zero the corresponding light gets lit by the piston target and you go back to 10 and work your way down again. So once you've got those lights lit you need to shoot the piston target as I don't believe the hits stack... meaning if you work a pop down to 0 and then start at 10 and work it down to zero again you are only going to get one blown piston for it.

correct, but in theory I would think that it was originally designed to award a blown piston for each 10x that you hit the corresponding pop bumper (that's why the each of the 3 corresponding piston insert lights near the dead-end go from off (no pistons to collect), to solid on (1 piston to collect) to flashing (more than one piston to collect)

maybe, lyman or borg determined that you could get too many blown pistons (by theoretically collecting all 10 ) in a single trip to the dead-end lane

#15264 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

correct, but in theory I would think that it was originally designed to award a blown piston for each 10x that you hit the corresponding pop bumper (that's why the each of the 3 corresponding piston insert lights near the dead-end go from off (no pistons to collect), to solid on (1 piston to collect) to flashing (more than one piston to collect)
maybe, lyman or borg determined that you could get too many blown pistons (by theoretically collecting all 10 ) in a single trip to the dead-end lane

I think to balance that, you could have this reset on a drained ball... as it is I think your count carries over from ball to ball... if I'm wrong, pretend I didn't say anything at all

#15265 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

I think to balance that, you could have this reset on a drained ball... as it is I think your count carries over from ball to ball... if I'm wrong, pretend I didn't say anything at all

I believe that the pop bumper hits do reset on a drained ball (but not on a saved ball drain)

I shot lyman a txt message asking how exactly this was meant to work (award/collect) initially and if it was just changed due to the fact that good players could potentially collect all 10 blown pistons on a single trip to the dead-end lane if for every 10 hits to a pop bumper, you increase the [collectable] blown piston value for that piston

my feeling is that it could have been capped to collecting a maximum of 6 blown pistons (2 for each flashing insert). so, hitting the pop bumpers would always award points, but stop bumping the blown piston counter for each pop bumper after 20 hits (or twice the value of however many that you have it set to in your game settings for collecting one

#15266 5 years ago
Quoted from bsobie:

I’m messing around with subs now..... have been for a couple weeks.... the Polk psw108 or psw10 are a perfect match for pins. When a sub is hooked up, especially to Metallica, the gameplay is in a whole new realm.

I have psw10's on my Metallica and Iron Maiden. Perfect size/quality/price point

#15267 5 years ago

Great info on the pistons and pops guys. I totally see it now. Thanks so much for the detailed info.

#15268 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I believe that the pop bumper hits do reset on a drained ball (but not on a saved ball drain)
I shot lyman a txt message asking how exactly this was meant to work (award/collect) initially and if it was just changed due to the fact that good players could potentially collect all 10 blown pistons on a single trip to the dead-end lane if for every 10 hits to a pop bumper, you increase the [collectable] blown piston value for that piston
my feeling is that it could have been capped to collecting a maximum of 6 blown pistons (2 for each flashing insert). so, hitting the pop bumpers would always award points, but stop bumping the blown piston counter for each pop bumper after 20 hits (or twice the value of however many that you have it set to in your game settings for collecting one

Not quite. The lit inserts do carry from ball to ball. You can change the inserts from solid to flashing by 10 more hits on each pop bumper, however you can only collect one blown piston per insert, solid or flashing. If all three are flashing you get 2x points, but again no more additional blown pistons; 3 max per piston shot. It's at a minimum 5 piston shots for an EB and that is after spending a ton of time in the bumpers.

#15269 5 years ago

thanks for the clarification rob
I didn't realize that getting all 3 flashing awarded a 2x playfield

#15270 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I didn't realize that getting all 3 flashing awarded a 2x playfield

I do not think it does haha. I think he was saying that you just get double the points when you collect the blown pistons.

#15271 5 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Yeah.. yeah everyone says to get a sub. I figured that if I got a sub then I'd piss the wife off too often.

Get Flipper Fidelity with the big sub speakers! Sounds great! And does’t exaggerate the lows as much as an external sub. And with the extra volume control you can nicely balance the lows without shaking the house.

#15272 5 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

Get Flipper Fidelity with the big sub speakers! Sounds great! And does’t exaggerate the lows as much as an external sub. And with the extra volume control you can nicely balance the lows without shaking the house.

Depends on what you're looking for.. we have a 200watt external sub and totally enjoy shaking the house on hammer locks or CIU jackpots... I mean, it's Metallica for chrissakes..

#15273 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I do not think it does haha. I think he was saying that you just get double the points when you collect the blown pistons.

Right!

- If all piston lights are blinking and the fuel lane target is hit then the score value is doubled.

#15274 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Depends on what you're looking for.. we have a 200watt external sub and totally enjoy shaking the house on hammer locks or CIU jackpots... I mean, it's Metallica for chrissakes..

I’m in this catergory. I have a red tremor shaker motor and it rattles the glass!! Yes the glass shakes...I don’t care and I feel zero need to dampen it

#15275 5 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

Flipper fidelity makes a minimal improvement. The external sub is most noticeable.
Also flipper fidelity is expensive and a good sub can be found cheaply. Boxing day is coming up

#15276 5 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

my MET now has crappy sound as well. It used to sound much better. The new code update helped a bit, but it is still not like it used to be. Any other suggestions of what might of went wrong?! (Besides get a powered sub!)

#15277 5 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I was gonna get an external sub, but read it’ll make it make it muddy, too much bass. I replaced my backbox speakers with high end speakers for more treble/tweeter...it sounds awesome! Balanced, yet booming, with the stock sub. Never would have guessed boosting the high end would’ve done this.

You can’t turn the sub up very much.... you just want enough bass to match your highs... the sub adds a depth to the game play that once felt you won’t do without a sub after that.

#15278 5 years ago
Quoted from bsobie:

You can’t turn the sub up very much.... you just want enough bass to match your highs... the sub adds a depth to the game play that once felt you won’t do without a sub after that.

It’s interesting. I have a psw10 on my Stern SW and it’s incredible. I was gonna add that to my Met, but my brother offered me high end speakers for my Backbox. They really bring out the mid and high end, and the factory sub brings out the lows. Crisp high/mids and booming lows (for a pin). No muddy, just great sound. I do have a shaker, that adds the sensory of the lows. I would upgrade the backbox for this pin, vs. adding more lows. IMHO.

#15279 5 years ago
Quoted from bsobie:

Problem is the factory game has no highs... most of the sound comes out of the cabinet speaker, and the $2 crap backbox speakers don't even have a whizzer cone, let alone a separate tweeter. Replace the factory speakers when you add a sub and it'll sound good.

#15280 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Flipper fidelity makes a minimal improvement. The external sub is most noticeable.
Also flipper fidelity is expensive and a good sub can be found cheaply. Boxing day is coming up

A minimal improvement? Really?! Have you maybe only upgraded the front speakers then?
I have the "Flipping Fantastic" set with 10" internal woofer and the improvement in sound quality is massive! I must say that the audio could've sounded even better with different system hardware since Stern SAM still uses mono 24Khz audio files. But we're stuck with that for Metallica...

#15281 5 years ago

My right ramp flasher on my MET Pro went out this evening while playing. (For completeness sake in this querry, I do/did have small strip UV LEDs attached/alligator-clipped to both ramp flashers that I had brought up to the pf to light installed spinners when flashers go off, had been working fine and looked cool)...anyway, I thought is was a bad bulb at the right flasher, had a spare and replaced it, but didn't fix the issue. Went through test, every other lamp and flasher were working fine. Examined the flasher housing and all wires looked good on inspection. Went to the backbox and didn't see anything unusual. Removed the alligator clips holding the LED strip on both sides, no difference. Ran test again...everything working but right ramp flasher.
It's driving me crazy!
Any ideas? Thanks!

#15282 5 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

My right ramp flasher on my MET Pro went out this evening while playing. (For completeness sake in this querry, I do/did have small strip UV LEDs attached/alligator-clipped to both ramp flashers that I had brought up to the pf to light installed spinners when flashers go off, had been working fine and looked cool)...anyway, I thought is was a bad bulb at the right flasher, had a spare and replaced it, but didn't fix the issue. Went through test, every other lamp and flasher were working fine. Examined the flasher housing and all wires looked good on inspection. Went to the backbox and didn't see anything unusual. Removed the alligator clips holding the LED strip on both sides, no difference. Ran test again...everything working but right ramp flasher.
It's driving me crazy!
Any ideas? Thanks!

Transitor?

#15283 5 years ago

I bet you are right. At the bottom of the main board on the left in the backbox, I can see the flasher section and the corresponding #29 (associated with right ramp flasher). I'm not greatest at knowing Exactly what I'm looking at, but everything seemed ok to look it (nothing broken, burned, etc).
Is there a way to check and replace it? Can you take a pic of the transistor so I can make sure I'm looking at the right thing. I can do some simple soldering, but I'm no pro. If I did get a replacement transistor, do you know what type/name for that particular part?
Is it better to get a while new board in these cases?
Ugh...
Thanks in advance.

#15284 5 years ago

Got to EOTL tonight, and completed it. Pretty cool mode, but wish there was more of a goal that I felt I was going for.

Either way, I collected an EB before I started EOTL, and then I collected one right after I got out of it. But when I drained my ball, the game ended.

Is this a bug perhaps?

Also, I think after I collected my 4th CIU, I was trying to light everything to qualify for EOTL. I hit the casket shot, and it locked my ball. Then I am pretty sure I hit it again with a single shot, and once again, it locked it. Same for the third lock.

Seemed weird, because normally, don't you have to hit it a number of times between each lock? Or did I already enable the locks by getting a lot of hits in a multiball or something?

#15285 5 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

I bet you are right. At the bottom of the main board on the left in the backbox, I can see the flasher section and the corresponding #29 (associated with right ramp flasher). I'm not greatest at knowing Exactly what I'm looking at, but everything seemed ok to look it (nothing broken, burned, etc).
Is there a way to check and replace it? Can you take a pic of the transistor so I can make sure I'm looking at the right thing. I can do some simple soldering, but I'm no pro. If I did get a replacement transistor, do you know what type/name for that particular part?
Is it better to get a while new board in these cases?
Ugh...
Thanks in advance.

Certainly don't need a new board. Just probably needs a replacement of a small component. If you don't feel comfortable then find a tech in your area. You should try to learn yourself if you are going to have a collection, its pretty basic.

#15286 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Or did I already enable the locks by getting a lot of hits in a multiball or something?

Yes I believe this is right. This may be standard on the premium, and then became standard on the pro when the code was updated. Not sure though.

#15287 5 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

Certainly don't need a new board. Just probably needs a replacement of a small component. If you don't feel comfortable then find a tech in your area. You should try to learn yourself if you are going to have a collection, its pretty basic.

That's a great video on locating and testing the transistors. Yeah, i definitely want to be able to do/fix as much as possible on my own. In the event it is the transistor and needs replacing, do you by chance know the part name to the transistor?
Thanks for your reply and video link!
Cheers, and happy holidays

#15288 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yes I believe this is right. This may be standard on the premium, and then became standard on the pro when the code was updated. Not sure though.

Any idea why the game ended when I still had an extra ball?

I collected my bonus from EOTL, went back to normal play, and then drained. I'm certain I still had 1 or 2 EBs.

#15289 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I collected my bonus from EOTL, went back to normal play, and then drained. I'm certain I still had 1 or 2 EBs.

No idea. Video or it didn’t happen. Haha. Jk. I’d take the glass off and recreate the situation to see if you have a bug on your hands. Entirely possible.

#15290 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Is it possible you reached the maximum EB # during the game? I *think* it's 5 by default. I am pretty sure this happened to me on my EOTL game. I lit and collected an extra ball (got the snake animation) but the shoot again inserts did not light.

Also I am going to double check the coffin behavior you mentioned. I don't think it is supposed to work the way you describe.

#15291 5 years ago

Officially a member now! Merry Christmas

Thanks to Steve at MI pinball Refinery for selling me his personal MET.

This game ROCKS!

20181222_125132 (resized).jpg20181222_125132 (resized).jpg20181222_125204 (resized).jpg20181222_125204 (resized).jpg20181222_125221 (resized).jpg20181222_125221 (resized).jpg
#15292 5 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Is it possible you reached the maximum EB # during the game? I *think* it's 5 by default. I am pretty sure this happened to me on my EOTL game. I lit and collected an extra ball (got the snake animation) but the shoot again inserts did not light.

This....pinball code is terrible about this. I always set my games to max 2EBs. A lot of times you get points instead of the ball, but the animation screams extra ball at people. It confuses people quite a bit.

#15293 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

So next question I've never figured out. What are the 3 circle lights in front of the Piston shot and how do they work?

Thanks for asking this question, I never understood exactly how those lights worked!

#15294 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Thanks for asking this question, I never understood exactly how those lights worked!

I shouldn't have waited soooo long to ask about the inserts and pistons. I'm now playing this game completely different and it's even greater now.

#15295 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I shouldn't have waited soooo long to ask about the inserts and pistons. I'm now playing this game completely different and it's even greater now.

They didn't work properly before so not being able to figure it out on your own would be understandable but depending on how long or how close you've been following this thread you would have known as it has been discussed a number of times. I've only owned mine since May and I know I've read about it a couple of times in the thread.

#15296 5 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Also I am going to double check the coffin behavior you mentioned. I don't think it is supposed to work the way you describe.

That very well could be it regarding the extra balls. I seemed to get quite a few of them.

As for the coffin behavior let me know what you find out.

#15297 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

As for the coffin behavior let me know what you find out.

Just check your settings. It’s detailed in the MET feature settings.

#15298 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Just check your settings. It’s detailed in the MET feature settings.

Everything is factory default.

What should I check?

#15299 5 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

That's a great video on locating and testing the transistors. Yeah, i definitely want to be able to do/fix as much as possible on my own. In the event it is the transistor and needs replacing, do you by chance know the part name to the transistor?
Thanks for your reply and video link!
Cheers, and happy holidays

You would need to locate which one is bad, then look it up in the manual. There is a section that has the boards listed and what components are on it. I usually order my parts from Pinball life

#15300 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Everything is factory default.
What should I check?

The coffin lock settings. It should tell you if you can stack locks during MB.

But it looks like you have a prem/LE. I believe these were the default rules for the coffin lock always.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 21,663 posts in this topic. You are on page 306 of 434.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/306?hl=furyosjustin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.