IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0271 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 305 of 433.
#15201 5 years ago

Damn. Was 300 posts behind in this thread. It absolutely amazes me that even after 5+ years, this thread is still rolling on like a 'blitzkrieg'. Lotsa great strategies now, you guys are awesome for sharing those.
Gonna update mine at halftime.
@chuckwurt.....EXTERNAL VOLUME CONTROL!!! I know of a machine that coulda really used one of those at a show recently haha. Will have on next year for sure.

#15202 5 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Never broke a bill..... until now. Factory settings. Gane lasted 49 minutes!
[quoted image]

That's insane. How much did you have heading into EOTL?

#15203 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

Don’t overpay for it, it has shown up 3 times since May. People like to profit off these things. Mad Amusements has a deplorable track record with international shipping lots of threads here on them. Domestic shipping seems more reliable but I wouldn’t support them personally.

I kinda got this impression thats why I asked about them. Thanks for the heads up. I can wait for Marco to get them back in stock.

#15204 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

That's insane. How much did you have heading into EOTL?

Only 700+Mil. EOTL was huge, 2.7 bil. Then I played another CIU afterwards and there was a 270+M Seek and Destroy in there as well. Crazy fun game that lasted a long long time.

#15205 5 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Only 700+Mil. EOTL was huge, 2.7 bil. Then I played another CIU afterwards and there was a 270+M Seek and Destroy in there as well. Crazy fun game that lasted a long long time.

Insanity!

I was one snake shot away from EOTL, but my score was at 300M.

No idea how you guys put up those big numbers!

#15206 5 years ago

I installed new speakers in my Met Pro. They are really high end car speakers that my brother gave me (he’s a total audiophile and is always replacing his stuff). Besides sounding awesome, they look sweet! Thanks to Rensh for helping me decide if they were ok to install. They look yellow because that’s the color of the cones and the light from the backbox bleeds through...I think a cool effect. The center come is silver, so it really reflects the LEDs

#15207 5 years ago

A while back I was posting about my drop target falling on its own. I think I have it better. Found an eclip at the bottom of the first target that was cupped and leaning a bit toward the bottom of the back of the firat target.

Target will reset fine in my hand out of game. But force of the coil makes it jiggle and fall.

With the clip flipped over it stays up much more like 90% of the time.

#15208 5 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

A while back I was posting about my drop target falling on its own. I think I have it better. Found an eclip at the bottom of the first target that was cupped and leaning a bit toward the bottom of the back of the firat target.
Target will reset fine in my hand out of game. But force of the coil makes it jiggle and fall.
With the clip flipped over it stays up much more like 90% of the time.

What do you mean by "cupped"?

Having this same issue.

#15209 5 years ago

Just realized, I put a $700 pair of speakers in my pin. They really sound good, but I really dig the lighter cones. The LEDs look good off the lighter cones...better off the silver center cone.

#15210 5 years ago

Has it always been that once you reach EOTL, that song is added to the new game song selection?

#15211 5 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Has it always been that once you reach EOTL, that song is added to the new game song selection?

No. Added with the code update.

#15212 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

What do you mean by "cupped"?
Having this same issue.

The e-clip on the bottom rail at the back of the first target was in the groove on the bar. But the outside rim of the e-clip was leaning toward the first target.

So the e-clip was cone shaped a bit.

#15213 5 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

The e-clip on the bottom rail at the back of the first target was in the groove on the bar. But the outside rim of the e-clip was leaning toward the first target.
So the e-clip was cone shaped a bit.

You probably have to mess with the washer spacing on the drop target. I have had to fix two of our route games that were not staying up correctly, as well as my personal one.

#15214 5 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

A new song is added? What song?

#15215 5 years ago

Hey all, i'm having issues i believe with my sparky/grave opto transmitter board. Even after re-seating the main connector. Randomly it will award hits on both sparky and grave shots, even in switch test mode. I disconnected the 5 pin power I/O connector and the problem goes away. The board is cheap, but are there any common repairable failures on the board? Dosen't seem like a cold solder joint as nothings get activated when I wiggle any connectors, components or wires.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#15217 5 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

You probably have to mess with the washer spacing on the drop target. I have had to fix two of our route games that were not staying up correctly, as well as my personal one.

Do you mean swapping thin and thick washers from in front and behind the Target?

I have been trying to avoid screwing with that mech it looks intimidating like parts will fly off every which way. Hehe

How much of the target sits on the ledge for your machines?

20181216_144337 (resized).jpg20181216_144337 (resized).jpg20181216_144344 (resized).jpg20181216_144344 (resized).jpg20181216_144333 (resized).jpg20181216_144333 (resized).jpg
#15218 5 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Thanks! I have been trying to avoid taking that mech apart since its full of springs and washers and clips.

Do you have specific washers you swapped? Or just play around and adjust to fix whats wrong at the time?

#15219 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballdork:

Hey all, i'm having issues i believe with my sparky/grave opto transmitter board. Even after re-seating the main connector. Randomly it will award hits on both sparky and grave shots, even in switch test mode. I disconnected the 5 pin power I/O connector and the problem goes away. The board is cheap, but are there any common repairable failures on the board? Dosen't seem like a cold solder joint as nothings get activated when I wiggle any connectors, components or wires.[quoted image]

I'm having the same issue, noticed it after the update.

#15220 5 years ago

Well I figured with the new code update it was time to show my MET a little love. I installed a new magnet core in front of sparky as the old one was starting to meld with the playfield and the ball was starting to skip a little. I also replaced the Nylon diverter up-post on the back with the recommended Williams metal one - wow, this resolved 100% my only complaint with the game! The ball now goes to the pops when it is supposed to as opposed to slowly rolling back down the left orbit - rejected. Awesome! And I installed a PinPac external headphone kit - so now when the little kids come over I can play Metallica without the "Adult" sounds and I can skip the long drawn out Sparky animation (when I feel like it) by changing the volume.

MET and TWD are the best!

#15221 5 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Thanks! I have been trying to avoid taking that mech apart since its full of springs and washers and clips.
Do you have specific washers you swapped? Or just play around and adjust to fix whats wrong at the time?

Each one seemed to need different washers, but yeah - I took it all apart.

#15222 5 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

I also replaced the Nylon diverter up-post on the back with the recommended Williams metal one

Say, could you please let me know where to find the recommended Williams metal one? I'm a new owner as of November, and I missed the discussion on this issue. It's the only think bugging me on my Met, and I'd love to fix it as you did. Many thanks in advance!

#15223 5 years ago

Can anyone tell me which part number I need to add playfield support brackets to Metallica Pro?

#15224 5 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

Can anyone tell me which part number I need to add playfield support brackets to Metallica Pro?

https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-playfield-support-slide-bracket-kit-for-sam-machines.html

#15225 5 years ago

So is it a selectable song after making it to eotl? Does it remain selectable after machine turns off? I probably don't need to worry about it since I'll never get that far but it sounds like a cool addition. Thanks

#15226 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballdork:

Hey all, i'm having issues i believe with my sparky/grave opto transmitter board. Even after re-seating the main connector. Randomly it will award hits on both sparky and grave shots, even in switch test mode. I disconnected the 5 pin power I/O connector and the problem goes away. The board is cheap, but are there any common repairable failures on the board? Dosen't seem like a cold solder joint as nothings get activated when I wiggle any connectors, components or wires.[quoted image]

Hey @pinballdork, I've had the exact same issue. Random sparky hits when you hit fuel, the snake or even the ramps. Have to hit the center target to get a true register. I have no alerts but the switch test shows the Opto on the screen and I've taken both optos out at Sparky and doesn't register anything. Does your opto transmitter board have a red light (L2) that stays on? IDK if that has anything to do with it; annoying issue to have.

#15227 5 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Say, could you please let me know where to find the recommended Williams metal one? I'm a new owner as of November, and I missed the discussion on this issue. It's the only think bugging me on my Met, and I'd love to fix it as you did. Many thanks in advance!

There is a complete thread on this here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diverter-post-replacement-for-metallica-and-others

The Williams part is A-17986.

#15228 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

So is it a selectable song after making it to eotl? Does it remain selectable after machine turns off? I probably don't need to worry about it since I'll never get that far but it sounds like a cool addition. Thanks

Yes. Unlocked for the rest of time. Not just that session.

#15229 5 years ago
Quoted from woody6092:

Hey @pinballdork, I've had the exact same issue. Random sparky hits when you hit fuel, the snake or even the ramps. Have to hit the center target to get a true register.

If I leave the machine in switch test mode, and don’t touch anything, It’ll randomly register both switches, also. I haven’t tried disconnecting the switches and leaving the power& IO to the board. I’m not home. But I do have one LED on the board that is lit. Funny, the optos did seem to occasionally trigger when I fiddle with the fuel shot area also. But not consistently. ???

#15230 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yes. Unlocked for the rest of time. Not just that session.

Sweet! Thanks. Guess I need to start playing better then.

#15231 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Sweet! Thanks. Guess I need to start playing better then.

I'm contemplating a glass off Bonanza just to unlock the song..... Oh, for shame!

#15232 5 years ago

Have a Met Pro coming from Steve @ Pinball Refinery. Can't wait to get it. Pardon my ignorance but that does CIU mean?

#15233 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Yep! I guess I missed this little tidbit in the 1.80 release notes.

- "The End Of The Line" song is now selectable at the start of the game
if the player has made it to "The End Of The Line" (the 5th Crank It Up
mode).

This is a nice little reward.

20181217_145623 (resized).jpg20181217_145623 (resized).jpg
#15234 5 years ago
Quoted from remous:

Have a Met Pro coming from Steve @ Pinball Refinery. Can't wait to get it. Pardon my ignorance but that does CIU mean?

Crank It Up!

#15235 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I'm contemplating a glass off Bonanza just to unlock the song..... Oh, for shame!

1.8 day one. Set it to 5 ball. Drain every ciu and get them all in a few minutes. Go back to 3 ball. Reset all scores and you have a brand new 1.8 with an extra song. No skills necessary

#15236 5 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

Be Super Careful when installing the screws for these brackets that they don’t come through the playfield. I have installed these on several machines and on one machine one of the screws started to poke through the playfield. these screws have really sharp pointy tips.... start your holes on the bottom side of the playfield with an awl (or something with a sharp point like a nail). Then start your screw but only go maybe half way in. Take screw back out and file off tip of screw or use a hammer to flatten out the tip. Now install screw all the way in. Only snug the screw. No need to over tighten. Shouldn’t have any problems going through the playfield but as you are tightening the screw hold your other hand on front side of playfield to double check that screw isn’t trying to poke through while tightening.... These are really nice to have and should be a Must on all playfields..... Good Luck!

#15237 5 years ago
Quoted from bsobie:

Be Super Careful when installing the screws for these brackets that they don’t come through the playfield. I have installed these on several machines and on one machine one of the screws started to poke through the playfield. these screws have really sharp pointy tips.... start your holes on the bottom side of the playfield with an awl (or something with a sharp point like a nail). Then start your screw but only go maybe half way in. Take screw back out and file off tip of screw or use a hammer to flatten out the tip. Now install screw all the way in. Only snug the screw. No need to over tighten. Shouldn’t have any problems going through the playfield but as you are tightening the screw hold your other hand on front side of playfield to double check that screw isn’t trying to poke through while tightening.... These are really nice to have and should be a Must on all playfields..... Good Luck!

Could add a washer or two on the screw to give you some extra ins not to poke through. Essentially shortens the amount of the screw that can go into the wood.

#15238 5 years ago
Quoted from bsobie:

or you could use the 3/8" version of the screws as meant to be used. #6 x 1/2" screws are typically used for really thick metal pieces like coil assemblies where the thickness of the metal bracket absorbs a good portion of the screw length. thinner metal brackets like those used for bulbs are meant to be secured with the #6 x 3/8" (usually denoted by their gold anodized color so that you don't inadvertently mix them up

#15239 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

or you could use the 3/8" version of the screws as meant to be used. #6 x 1/2" screws are typically used for really thick metal pieces like coil assemblies where the thickness of the metal bracket absorbs a good portion of the screw length. thinner metal brackets like those used for bulbs are meant to be secured with the #6 x 3/8" (usually denoted by their gold anodized color so that you don't inadvertently mix them up

When putting screws into the underside of the playfield I will (sometimes) cut the pointed tip off the screw (as the tip does not provide any additional bite but only really acts as a way to center and start the hole (which can be achieved by a punch or a few light taps on the pointed screw with a hammer). I am always nervous when doing this as well. Sometimes I may even add an additional washer if the bracket appears a little thin. Of course none of this helps if you use a screw with the incorrect length - I always place the screw along the edge of the playfield to gauge the true length compared to the playfield - wouldn't be the first time a longer screw fell into the wrong bin compartment.

#15240 5 years ago

I was extra careful and put layers of tape on a small drill bit so thay it coyldnt possibly go in any further than I wanted and slowly predrilled the holes. Then sanity checked the screws against the playfield side like mentioned above. And then hand screwed them in snug not over tight.

#15241 5 years ago

I Cranked It up today and did pretty well considering a tight tilt and no EB's.
The new CIU mode software makes it very satisfying to play now. Many thanks Lyman.

Meteotl (resized).jpgMeteotl (resized).jpg
#15242 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Don't do it!! You can never go back!!

#15243 5 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

I Cranked It up today and did pretty well considering a tight tilt and no EB's.
The new CIU mode software makes it very satisfying to play now. Many thanks Lyman.[quoted image]

Man you really blew it up good, nice game!

#15244 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Don't do it!! You can never go back!!

LOL,I suggested it during a game with my 13 year old son and he said the same thing!

#15245 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballdork:

If I leave the machine in switch test mode, and don’t touch anything, It’ll randomly register both switches, also. I haven’t tried disconnecting the switches and leaving the power& IO to the board. I’m not home. But I do have one LED on the board that is lit. Funny, the optos did seem to occasionally trigger when I fiddle with the fuel shot area also. But not consistently. ???

I would replace the opto(s) that are registering. I have seen some weird behavior when they go. My Sparky started randomly triggering. In switch test I found that it would trigger any time I touched the left ramp with my finger. I figured it was shorting somewhere, so I checked everywhere and even went as far as insulating the entire wire with electrical tape, yet it still did it. Finally gave up and ordered a new one, and that fixed it right up. That was a weird one though.

Such a great game, and now that EOTL is obtainable by mortals it is really over the top.

*Last time my head was welded to the friggin helmet!*

#15246 5 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I would replace the opto(s) that are registering. I have seen some weird behavior when they go. My Sparky started randomly triggering. In switch test I found that it would trigger any time I touched the left ramp with my finger. I figured it was shorting somewhere, so I checked everywhere and even went as far as insulating the entire wire with electrical tape, yet it still did it. Finally gave up and ordered a new one, and that fixed it right up. That was a weird one though.
Such a great game, and now that EOTL is obtainable by mortals it is really over the top.
*Last time my head was welded to the friggin helmet!*

This is pretty much what mine does...I get no register from the optos at Sparky but the center target is good. Then, random sparky hits at the Snake, Fuel, the right ramp and sometimes the bumpers. So you suggest just replace the receiver opto(s) for either? The grave works like a charm.

#15247 5 years ago

So next question I've never figured out. What are the 3 circle lights in front of the Piston shot and how do they work?

#15248 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

LOL,I suggested it during a game with my 13 year old son and he said the same thing!

Nice!

#15249 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

So next question I've never figured out. What are the 3 circle lights in front of the Piston shot and how do they work?

Every time you hit a pop 10 times, one of the lights are lit. Then when you hit the target behind fuel, you blow the number of pistons that are lit. This was broken on the old code but is apparently fixed now. Get 15 blown pistons (configurable) for an extra ball.

#15250 5 years ago

I've always thought that my Met sounded rather crappy and just figured that was how it is. I have TZ next to it and they sound equally as craptastic. Yesterday, I finished up my JP and decided to hook up the cab speaker which has torn paper (will replace when I figure out what I want to do)... Anyway, that JP rocks compared to Met.

What gives... Does this seem right? I reached in and did notice the cab speaker on Met was moving a tiny bit. Yeah.. yeah everyone says to get a sub. I figured that if I got a sub then I'd piss the wife off too often.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 49.99
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 98.00
Lighting - Interactive
ArcadeMade
Interactive
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 199.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Shark
Decals
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 29.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
San Antonio, TX
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z
Interactive
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Baltimore, MD
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 305 of 433.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/305 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.