IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0271 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 294 of 433.
#14651 5 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

This is how mine works with the new post. Many others work better though. I’ve tried a few different things and nothing works.

Last effort attempt that worked for me, for which I now only get a bounce back maybe 5% of the time.

Check the coil sleeve for the post. Factory, mine was long enough that it was going into the hole in the PF. I trimmed mine down to where it just barely makes it past the retaining bracket for the mech (the bracket the post goes through). This created more "slack" in the post. It still doesn't contact the PF but it has some wiggle room now. This wiggle room gave it enough of a cushion to now prevent the bounce backs. Worth a try if it's bothering you.

#14652 5 years ago

I will have to check my coil sleeve then. I have the metal post and while it is far better than the plastic one, I still get bounce backs. Sometimes that is a good thing when the game counts it as another orbit shot. It doesn't bother me that much but do like to get my games working exactly as they are designed.

#14653 5 years ago

I think I got the post issue fixed. Also, I took the fangs out of the snake, and that seems to have sorted that problem with the ball hanging in the job.

Grave targets are still not registering all clean shots. Is it likely the spring that needs replacing here?

And last thing, for the out outlane posts, is the factory default UP (hard) or DOWN (easy)?

Thanks.

#14654 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I think I got the post issue fixed. Also, I took the fangs out of the snake, and that seems to have sorted that problem with the ball hanging in the job.
Grave targets are still not registering all clean shots. Is it likely the spring that needs replacing here?
And last thing, for the out outlane posts, is the factory default UP (hard) or DOWN (easy)?
Thanks.

My outlane posts were up (hard)

#14655 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Thanks.

Don't need to replace the springs. Just take them off and install them at a slightly shorter setting. I, personally, just cut off a half dozen or so windings and bend the last two down to make the springs shorter.

#14656 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Don't need to replace the springs. Just take them off and install them at a slightly shorter setting. I, personally, just cut off a half dozen or so windings and bend the last two down to make the springs shorter.

I did this on my ST drop target when it was not registering hits. Shortening the spring fixed it and never had a problem with it long after. You basically want the spring around 3/4 or 2/3 of the current length.

#14657 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Thanks.

When you say the drop targets are not registering, do you mean they are not going down? Or are they going down and not registering in the game?

#14658 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Last effort attempt that worked for me, for which I now only get a bounce back maybe 5% of the time.
Check the coil sleeve for the post. Factory, mine was long enough that it was going into the hole in the PF. I trimmed mine down to where it just barely makes it past the retaining bracket for the mech (the bracket the post goes through). This created more "slack" in the post. It still doesn't contact the PF but it has some wiggle room now. This wiggle room gave it enough of a cushion to now prevent the bounce backs. Worth a try if it's bothering you.

Thank you, I will try any suggestion.

#14659 5 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

When you say the drop targets are not registering, do you mean they are not going down? Or are they going down and not registering in the game?

Good point. They are just not going down

#14660 5 years ago

Had a good game during my lunch break. Started all multiballs, And Justice For All, Seek and Destroy, and Blackened at least once each, plus two Crank It Up modes. Totally blew the Crank it Up's though so my score wasn't even that great.

#14661 5 years ago

I know it's not high to a lot of people but I set a new high score on my met pro tonight.
2 crank it ups, one of which i tanked.
Sparky mb
Coffin mb
Snake mb
Cross mb
Fuel
Justice for all
Final score

20181109_155723 (resized).jpg20181109_155723 (resized).jpg

#14662 5 years ago

Is it worth putting cliffy drop protectors on the cross drops or is it not necessary?

#14663 5 years ago

Crap! Right in the middle of CIU and my flippers went dead! Out hole switches seem fine?

#14664 5 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

Is it worth putting cliffy drop protectors on the cross drops or is it not necessary?

Not necessary

#14665 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Picked up a nice LE today, so I guess I'm in the club!
A couple of minor things I've noticed. The snake inconsistently ejects the ball and seems like a lot of straight down the middle. Any suggestions on how to fix that?
Also the very first grave marker Target doesn't seem to respond to a lot of hits. Almost have to hit it perfectly. Is that just a simple leaf switch adjustment?
Thanks

Congrats!! What #? I'm 199

#14666 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Good point. They are just not going down

You have to mess with the washers to get the targets to fall just right. I had to adjust my LE after it was new, they wouldn't go down nicely, or they would go down by themselves. Once you get the proper washer spacing in the mech, they will work fine.

#14667 5 years ago

Quick question, is there an immediate hard limit to the number of LED strips or additional GI LEDs that can be added wo over stressing the circuit? How would one know when they have reached that limit?

#14668 5 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

You have to mess with the washers to get the targets to fall just right. I had to adjust my LE after it was new, they wouldn't go down nicely, or they would go down by themselves. Once you get the proper washer spacing in the mech, they will work fine.

Washers? Where?

#14669 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Washers? Where?

I tried calling you
This is what I'm talking about with spacing the ledge

Give me a ring

#14670 5 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

Crap! Right in the middle of CIU and my flippers went dead! Out hole switches seem fine?

Reseat the through connectors.

#14671 5 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

If they just wont go down all that is needed is spring adjustments.

#14672 5 years ago
Quoted from Mikedenton49:

How would one know when they have reached that limit?

One’s fuse would blow.

#14673 5 years ago
Quoted from Mikedenton49:

Quick question, is there an immediate hard limit to the number of LED strips or additional GI LEDs that can be added wo over stressing the circuit? How would one know when they have reached that limit?

How many LEDs are you possibly trying to put in the game?

#14674 5 years ago

Shit, was playing a quick game tonight, and was holding the ball on the flipper for probably a couple of minutes (talking to wife), when it froze in the upright position and then completely stopped working.

Assuming I just burned a fuse? I haven't even opened the manual, so I'm just being lazy, but figured I'd save myself some digging around by posting this.

I always thought the flippers could hold for longer, but guessing just learned something new!

#14675 5 years ago

Finally had a good CIU mode and a good score on this frustrating M effer of a game!

20181111_035237 (resized).jpg20181111_035237 (resized).jpg
#14676 5 years ago

Played a met pro at a barcode near me last week. I noticed something in the coffin insert lighting that I didn’t remember happening on my machine. I have a 2013 wooden back box met that I have upgraded to leds (and the TLS mod). I also have the eyeball sticker on my coffin.

Anyways I noticed lighting effects of the coffin when you hit an inlane and the captive ball is lit for a second for 2x coffins toward next CIU.

On the location game the red lock lights cycled up toward the captive ball. Mine does that. But the white coffin insert flashers also went crazy. I don’t think my machine does this. Or the coffin sticker is blocking it. I did test my coffin inser flashers are working. But I don’t notice them going crazy like on he location game.

Anyone with old wooden back box met have white flashers in the coffin lock insert when you hit an inlane? Maybe this is a difference between old and new backbox? Or maybe I just need to remove the eyeball sticker

Rick

#14677 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Shit, was playing a quick game tonight, and was holding the ball on the flipper for probably a couple of minutes (talking to wife), when it froze in the upright position and then completely stopped working.
Assuming I just burned a fuse? I haven't even opened the manual, so I'm just being lazy, but figured I'd save myself some digging around by posting this.
I always thought the flippers could hold for longer, but guessing just learned something new!

Could be a simple fuse, could also be up in the head.

I once had the same issue on my Tron, and it actually blew the diode and/or mosfet (don't remember right now). You may have to check a couple things. Not sure if it's the same but sounds exactly like what happened to me.

#14678 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

My ac/dc did this and it was the inline fuse near the flipper coil on the underside of the playfield. Once I replaced that the flipper would stay engaged on power up. I had to replace a transistor on the main board. I hope yours is just a fuse but thought I would post this incase you encounter a similar situation.

#14679 5 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

My ac/dc did this and it was the inline fuse near the flipper coil on the underside of the playfield. Once I replaced that the flipper would stay engaged on power up. I had to replace a transistor on the main board. I hope yours is just a fuse but thought I would post this incase you encounter a similar situation.

This

#14680 5 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Played a met pro at a barcode near me last week. I noticed something in the coffin insert lighting that I didn’t remember happening on my machine. I have a 2013 wooden back box met that I have upgraded to leds (and the TLS mod). I also have the eyeball sticker on my coffin.
Anyways I noticed lighting effects of the coffin when you hit an inlane and the captive ball is lit for a second for 2x coffins toward next CIU.
On the location game the red lock lights cycled up toward the captive ball. Mine does that. But the white coffin insert flashers also went crazy. I don’t think my machine does this. Or the coffin sticker is blocking it. I did test my coffin inser flashers are working. But I don’t notice them going crazy like on he location game.
Anyone with old wooden back box met have white flashers in the coffin lock insert when you hit an inlane? Maybe this is a difference between old and new backbox? Or maybe I just need to remove the eyeball sticker
Rick

You probably started a hurry up and didn’t realize it.

#14681 5 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

Transistor is what I was thinking actually. Probably the fuse as well. I may not have a chance to look into it for a couple of days but I'll keep you guys posted when I find out. Crap I knew I should have ordered some beefed-up transistors on my last pinball life order!

#14682 5 years ago

I have a small theory as to why Metallica remains uniquely popular. There is no doubt Met has been the biggest seller for Stern in recent times, and there are a lot of great things about it. You might say it's Lyman's code, or that Sparky is the greatest bash toy ever, or whatever. And yes, they are all great things, but there must be something unique about Met that keeps people coming back to such a high degree.

I think it's the in-line drops. In-line drops are my favourite mech of all time, and I don't think I'm alone in that. Whatever else is going on in the machine, working your way along that grave yard is just a little thing that you don't get anywhere else on your newer machines. Whenever I play my Metallica it's getting that lane open that gets my attention. The way I cry out loud when they reset each ball doesn't happen much on other games.

Think back to the release of Met. I remember jumping around in excitement over those drop targets, and I think this is one of the big reasons the Pro and Premium share popularity equally. They both have that line of drops, and it's them that really put the cherry on top of this great game.

MTL_PREM5 (resized).jpgMTL_PREM5 (resized).jpgMTL_Prem2 (resized).jpgMTL_Prem2 (resized).jpg
#14683 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I have a small theory as to why Metallica remains uniquely popular. There is no doubt Met has been the biggest seller for Stern in recent times, and there are a lot of great things about it. You might say it's Lyman's code, or that Sparky is the greatest bash toy ever, or whatever. And yes, they are all great things, but there must be something unique about Met that keeps people coming back to such a high degree.
I think it's the in-line drops. In-line drops are my favourite mech of all time, and I don't think I'm alone in that. Whatever else is going on in the machine, working your way along that grave yard is just a little thing that you don't get anywhere else on your newer machines. Whenever I play my Metallica it's getting that lane open that gets my attention. The way I cry out loud when they reset each ball doesn't happen much on other games.
Think back to the release of Met. I remember jumping around in excitement over those drop targets, and I think this is one of the big reasons the Pro and Premium share popularity equally. They both have that line of drops, and it's them that really put the cherry on top of this great game.

I agree, the in line drop targets are alot of fun and i cant believe that we dont see more games with them. I love the rising cross on the premium and how the magnet holds the ball in there and you have to knock it loose.

#14684 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You probably started a hurry up and didn’t realize it.

Good point. It was super loud in there. So knowing what's going on even in a game I own and play all the time is tough.

#14685 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Think back to the release of Met. I remember jumping around in excitement over those drop targets, and I think this is one of the big reasons the Pro and Premium share popularity equally. They both have that line of drops, and it's them that really put the cherry on top of this great game.[quoted image][quoted image]

In-line drops are my favourite mech too, started with my first pin, Fathom (Two sets of them) and the ball lock behind them, just amazing. TNA has taken it up a notch adding ball locks between and think that is awesome. It is my favourite feature on my MET, but I really do like all the shots, a couple of ramps with great feel, love the piston target on the left and the scoop on the right, both very gratifying when you make the shot on purpose . Snake scoop is really cool and I love the ball lock on the Prem/LE.

I recently picked up a TWD and that has all my attention now but it suffers from a couple of things I don't find MET suffers from... the balls get hung up in the pop's for extended periods of time, the shot into Woodbury brings the game to a screeching hault from a 'flow' perspective, on the MET the ball just keeps coming back to the flippers awaiting your next shot. Same designer/developer but two totally different games. MET has it's shots spread across the playfield while TWD has you hammering those drops on the left... I haven't bored of it yet, but man do you ever have to do that a lot to progress. To progress on MET you can really shoot all over the place, love it!

#14686 5 years ago

Question about levelling on this game. I bring this topic up with every game I own, because I believe finding that "sweet spot" can turn a great game, into a epic one.

Right now I have the front leg levellers flat, and the rear cranked out about 3/4 way. The bubble level on the shooter lane shows it sitting between the two lines, and my digital level reads about 6.0-6.1 on the lower to middle part of the pf.

I know many don't trust bubble levels. The rear legs area also turned out about 1/4 more than my other Stern games.

Curious to know how you guys have yours set up.

#14687 5 years ago

6.5-7.0 feels great on Met.

#14688 5 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

6.5-7.0 feels great on Met.

How far are your rear legs turned out?

#14689 5 years ago

Just joined the club! Now I know what I was missing. Wow - just wow. Crazy fun.

I wrote about it here https://thepinballloft.com

Pic of the playfield after Pinstadium install
IMG_2860 (resized).JPGIMG_2860 (resized).JPG

#14690 5 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Rick

He coffin light in the captive ball does flash when you hit the in lane on mine. Every time the call rolls over the in lane the white flasher goes off regardless of its a hurry up or not.

#14691 5 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

He coffin light in the captive ball does flash when you hit the in lane on mine. Every time the call rolls over the in lane the white flasher goes off regardless of its a hurry up or not.

Is yours new or old backbox style?

#14692 5 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Is yours new or old backbox style?

New. That could be the difference.

#14693 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Question about levelling on this game.

I had used a protractor to adjust the pitch... all our machines are set at 6.5 degrees... the bubble on two of the machines are a little over the top line. And one of the machines is right in the middle of the lines.

#14694 5 years ago

Ok, so put a new fuse in for the flipper, and it immediately engaged the flipper and blew the fuse. Did it twice for good measure.

So I'm now assuming it's the transistor. Sound about right?

IMG_20181112_002312 (resized).jpgIMG_20181112_002312 (resized).jpg
#14695 5 years ago

Yep, sounds about right

#14696 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Ok, so put a new fuse in for the flipper, and it immediately engaged the flipper and blew the fuse. Did it twice for good measure.
So I'm now assuming it's the transistor. Sound about right?[quoted image]

https://www.pinballlife.com/transistor-replacement-for-22ne10l.html

#14697 5 years ago

I just had the most frustrating and craziest game I have ever played on MET...

I started Grave Marker Multiball and ended up collecting enough items to light Crank It Up.

Unfortunately, I could not hit the Mystery Scoop for the life of me. I ended up accidentally starting Electric Chair, Snake and Coffin Multiball while trying to shoot the scoop. On Coffin Multiball, I even started Grave Marker Multiball again.

After all of this, and collecting over 60 of each item, I finally hit the scoop to start Crank It Up. Picked For Whom The Bell Tolls. Ball drained instantly canceling out the ball save. Then on the next shot it took a crazy bounce and drained in the outlane. A killer 650,000 for a CUI.

Ended with a score of just over 170M.

So much fun yet so frustrating all at the same time.

#14698 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

A killer 650,000 for a CUI

Amen!!! I finally got my NIB MET Premium a few weeks ago, and have experienced CIU instant ball drains 90% of the time!
You get so happy you finally reach the mini-wizard mode.... Then... Ball Drain to follow seconds later

Anybody else has some similar horror stories of CIU modes?

Quoted from jeffsarcade:

So much fun yet so frustrating all at the same time.

100% agree. Love it when you can stack multiball modes and get 4 balls out in the playfield.

#14700 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Is this the same? Looks.like these only work on Whitestar???
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/STP22NE10L

Or wouldn't this be the one, since it's specifically for Q15-16?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/110-0168-00

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations
Other
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z
Interactive
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 26.50
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
Interactive
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
San Antonio, TX
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 294 of 433.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/294 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.