2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg
IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,662 posts in this topic. You are on page 292 of 434.
#14551 5 years ago
Quoted from woody6092:

Probably not the thread to post this even though I've looked everywhere - and this seems to be the most active Met thread. The opto on the electric chair is not working; I've got to hit dead center on the target to a get a register. The following two things can trigger a register or Sparky multiball, other than the center target:
1. When it’s time to trigger Sparky; it starts up occasionally while in the bumper area or the Snake scoop.
2. On several occasions, it either registers a hit or starts multiball when I hit the Snake scoop.
Any thoughts? Ideas? Any other information I can provide bc I’m beyond stumped? And thank you![quoted image][quoted image]

Yes, it looks like the opto transmitter isn't lined with the receiver up to me.

#14552 5 years ago

RobF snakesnsparklers msj2222 thanks so much for the feedback. I’ve checked everything you’ll suggested and still nothing I checked all the wiring, cleaned off the lens on both optos and check all connections. Still nothing

I noticed the L2 light on the main board is on but I guess it does that all the time? It’s head scratcher for a novice.

I’m going to switch out the optos on the electric chair and the grave marker when I have more time to see what that does.

36B70692-4FC6-4257-9AC6-555547C0B51C (resized).jpeg36B70692-4FC6-4257-9AC6-555547C0B51C (resized).jpeg3D24EF96-8F6D-4B40-9401-6C74F9F8AFBF (resized).jpeg3D24EF96-8F6D-4B40-9401-6C74F9F8AFBF (resized).jpegF53315E0-9B01-4160-9FE7-1C806BCFCEF7 (resized).jpegF53315E0-9B01-4160-9FE7-1C806BCFCEF7 (resized).jpeg
#14553 5 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

You kept Kiss and gave Aerosmith the boot. Just saying

I know. I know..... I’m Weird!..... i liked Aerosmith but for me something wasn’t clicking..... I like our Kiss machine.... I’m still trying to learning the rules and also trying to learn to be a better player at the same time.....I’m not very good but I’m having fun with it.

#14554 5 years ago

I've had my Metallica or a year and 2 days... And FINALLY got my name on it. Not only that, but the GC! And the Blackened! And the Combo! And the Seek and Destroy! Best game of pinball I've EVER had, and it was amazing! Game lasted almost 25 minutes. I felt like I couldn't miss a shot. SO awesome!!! The only downside is that I lost out of the free ball for getting 20 combos -- couldn't get the ball to hit the mystery hole. But I'm not complaining!

Please forgive my wall of pictures - I'm just psyched!

IMG_20181102_195728 (resized).jpgIMG_20181102_195728 (resized).jpgIMG_20181102_195731 (resized).jpgIMG_20181102_195731 (resized).jpgIMG_20181102_195819 (resized).jpgIMG_20181102_195819 (resized).jpgIMG_20181102_195901 (resized).jpgIMG_20181102_195901 (resized).jpg
#14555 5 years ago

I noticed my right ramp flasher wasn't working tonight. Took a look under the playfield and something bizarre seems to be going on.

Tested the flasher in the settings... nothing.

Unscrewed the flasher from the bottom of the playfield... moved the LEDs around on the flasher bulb (turned the top panel) and it came on and stayed on.

In fact, it stays on for about 10 seconds after I turn the power to the machine off. Then it dims until the two center LEDs are partially still lit.

Anyone run across something like this before?

#14556 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I've had my Metallica or a year and 2 days... And FINALLY got my name on it. Not only that, but the GC! And the Blackened! And the Combo! And the Seek and Destroy! Best game of pinball I've EVER had, and it was amazing! Game lasted almost 25 minutes. I felt like I couldn't miss a shot. SO awesome!!! The only downside is that I lost out of the free ball for getting 20 combos -- couldn't get the ball to hit the mystery hole. But I'm not complaining!
Please forgive my wall of pictures - I'm just psyched![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I’ve had mine for 3 years now and still can’t do that....

#14557 5 years ago
Quoted from bsobie:

I’ve had mine for 3 years now and still can’t do that....

If it makes you feel better, my old high score was about 220m... So I doubled it with this one game. Lol

#14558 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

If it makes you feel better, my old high score was about 220m... So I doubled it with this one game. Lol

Lol!!.... So if I tell you I’m having trouble even reaching 40m you won’t laugh?

#14559 5 years ago
Quoted from bsobie:

Lol!!.... So if I tell you I’m having trouble even reaching 40m you won’t laugh?

Not at all. I can go weeks with the same problem.

#14560 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Not at all. I can go weeks with the same problem.

I just finally started to learn to actually play the game strategically instead of just hitting the ball around and or only going for Sparky MB..... I’m still in the learning phase. Hopefully one day I will be able to achieve an outstanding score like that

#14561 5 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Please forgive my wall of pictures - I'm just psyched![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Dang Fezmid, you BLEW IT UP!!! Nice game man. Ive had mine for a good while and 190 million is my best so far. Everytime i get intoa crank it up mode i fail miserably, every single time.

#14562 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

I noticed my right ramp flasher wasn't working tonight. Took a look under the playfield and something bizarre seems to be going on.
Tested the flasher in the settings... nothing.
Unscrewed the flasher from the bottom of the playfield... moved the LEDs around on the flasher bulb (turned the top panel) and it came on and stayed on.
In fact, it stays on for about 10 seconds after I turn the power to the machine off. Then it dims until the two center LEDs are partially still lit.
Anyone run across something like this before?

Try a different flasher bulb. You may have internally shorted the current one.

Rob

#14563 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Try a different flasher bulb. You may have internally shorted the current one.
Rob

I actually did that... had the white pop bumper flasher from Ghostbusters (I had replaced that one with a red one months ago). When I put the white bulb in the Metallica right ramp socket, it shorted out and that bulb's 4 middle LEDs now come on slightly. I put the original red bulb back in and still the same issue as before... either stays on indefinitely or doesn't come on at all. So odd. I can't tell if there is a short somewhere or if something is loose. I checked every connection I could find and tightened them. I guess I'll call Stern support.

#14564 5 years ago

Just had to laugh...A Met Pro for sale for $7,750....over $3K in mods was just posted. A perfect example of spending more than just getting a premium. May as well buy an LE at that price.

#14565 5 years ago

Hey there
Im having trouble with sparky and the grave marker registering phantom hits.
Machine plays fine, then all of a sudden, sparky hits and grave marker his go into over drive.
Any ideas what the cause is our where to look first....?
Thanks

#14566 5 years ago

Thinking about selling my MET Pro LED. Huo I am second owner. Lollipop side rails, service rails, shaker motor, total light show, Cliffys, wired for a sub woofer and Sparky protector. Plays and looks perfect. Any thoughts on fair value?

#14567 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

I actually did that... had the white pop bumper flasher from Ghostbusters (I had replaced that one with a red one months ago). When I put the white bulb in the Metallica right ramp socket, it shorted out and that bulb's 4 middle LEDs now come on slightly. I put the original red bulb back in and still the same issue as before... either stays on indefinitely or doesn't come on at all. So odd. I can't tell if there is a short somewhere or if something is loose. I checked every connection I could find and tightened them. I guess I'll call Stern support.

Just realized my flasher from GB was probably 5v since it's Spike and not the SAM 12V needed for Met. No wonder why it blew out.

#14568 5 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Just had to laugh...A Met Pro for sale for $7,750....over $3K in mods was just posted. A perfect example of spending more than just getting a premium. May as well buy an LE at that price.

No kidding. You could buy a pretty good game like a Shadow for $3000. That's the whole reason to get a pro - to save money and still get a great game.

#14569 5 years ago

I tried the left ramp flasher in the right ramp socket... same issue. So it's not the flasher. It seems that the power to that flasher socket is ALWAYS on as both flashers I put in it light up and never turn off. The flasher also seems to get very hot when it's on.

EDIT: I also posted this issue in the tech sub-forum.

#14570 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

I tried the left ramp flasher in the right ramp socket... same issue. So it's not the flasher. It seems that the power to that flasher socket is ALWAYS on as both flashers I put in it light up and never turn off. The flasher also seems to get very hot when it's on.
EDIT: I also posted this issue in the tech sub-forum.

Wouldn't that be a board component sending the wrong message to the socket?

#14571 5 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Can't agree with you here. I personally preffered the pro so that is what I bought. I still wanted lots of bells and whistles, so I to own a pro with lots of mods put into it. I don't expect to get the value of the mods back but for a game I intend to have in my home for a long time, spending the money to make it pretty makes sense. Most of my mods would have been done if I'd bought higher end models anyway. Color dmd, art blades, 3d snake, sparky wiring, protectors. I think the only thing I'd have save on are the lights and shaker. I just prefer the feel of the pro and I'm not a fan of the hammer. The colour dmd was still the prices part of the whole thing.

#14572 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Can't agree with you here. I personally preffered the pro so that is what I bought. I still wanted lots of bells and whistles, so I to own a pro with lots of mods put into it. I don't expect to get the value of the mods back but for a game I intend to have in my home for a long time, spending the money to make it pretty makes sense. I just prefer the feel of the pro and I'm not a fan of the hammer. Most of my mods would have been done on a premium/le anyway. 3d snake, color dmd, pinblades, sparky wiring and protectors. I think the shaker motor and lights are the only overlapping costs. The Colour dmd was still the priciest part anyway.

#14573 5 years ago
Quoted from phantasmo:

Im having trouble with sparky and the grave marker registering phantom hits.

Check the amplifier board where the opto switches plug into. Make sure they are tight.
If you have any mods connected into the lights (Sparky helmet/ cemetery gates), disconnect those and try the machine. I tracked down an issue for weeks with Sparky; found out it was his helmet mod. Disconnect helmet mod, machine plays perfect.

#14574 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Can't agree with you here. I personally preffered the pro so that is what I bought. I still wanted lots of bells and whistles, so I to own a pro with lots of mods put into it. I don't expect to get the value of the mods back but for a game I intend to have in my home for a long time, spending the money to make it pretty makes sense. Most of my mods would have been done if I'd bought higher end models anyway. Color dmd, art blades, 3d snake, sparky wiring, protectors. I think the only thing I'd have save on are the lights and shaker. I just prefer the feel of the pro and I'm not a fan of the hammer. The colour dmd was still the prices part of the whole thing.

Pinball doesn't feel right to me if it doesn't have a shaker in it....

Rob

#14575 5 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Ya , but a mint Refinery Premium just went up for $6800. that's loaded with good stuff . If I didn't just pick one up I would be sending $$ today!

SOLD!
Machine - For Sale
HUO - Undocumented (Home Used Only) - “This machine has a number of significant upgrades. First, it was sent to Pinball Refinery and they powdercoated the rails and lockdown bar, added led stadium lights, stainless stee...”
2018-11-03
Powhatan, VA
6,800 (Firm)
Archived after: 5 days
Viewed: 516 times
Contributed to Pinside

#14576 5 years ago

I'm in!
Just picked up a pro with very few plays.
What a great game!
Need to add a shaker and a sub to really be in business, but that can easily be done.

#14577 5 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

I'm in!
Just picked up a pro with very few plays.
What a great game!
Need to add a shaker and a sub to really be in business, but that can easily be done.

Somembody owned it without a shaker?? FOR SHAME!!!

Grats!!

#14578 5 years ago

My frustration with this machine is becoming toxic. I just had a 10 min + game, hit every multiball mode, Sparky twice, plus Lady Justice and a ciu and still only ended up with 95m.
Most of that was actually done on ball one. I look up and I'm at a pissy 52m.
WHAT AM I NOT GETTING HERE???
Bout to kick it on down (to the end of) the line...

#14579 5 years ago

To be fair...MET is not played much anymore. Almost all my time is on Target Alpha, Maiden, and ACDC.
But EVERYTIME I feel like I'm havin a great ball on MET, the score doesn't agree ha.
More Bowen I guess...

#14580 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

My frustration with this machine is becoming toxic. I just had a 10 min + game, hit every multiball mode, Sparky twice, plus Lady Justice and a ciu and still only ended up with 95m.

I want to look up and see 95m.....

#14581 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Just hitting/starting the modes doesn’t equal high scores. Make sure to try and stack multiball. I think it’s coffin and graveyard can stack...do a search on this thread. The other thing is hitting the lane behind the fuel targets, when lit, to double scores temporarily. I’m sure there are other ways, just what I use.

#14582 5 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Just hitting/starting the modes doesn’t equal high scores. Make sure to try and stack multiball. I think it’s coffin and graveyard can stack...do a search on this thread. The other thing is hitting the lane behind the fuel targets, when lit, to double scores temporarily. I’m sure there are other ways, just what I use.

Thanks man. Fuel shot is the only one I can never, ever, make. And there ya go, think I just answered my own question/cry.

#14583 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

You need to really concentrate on hitting shots in the CIU mode. Pick fade to black or For Whom the Bells tolls.

Try and get 2X playfield going with the fuel lane. (Spell fuel, hit the lane).

Once you hit one of the drops, sparky, coffin, and snake, you’ll have a collect ready at the scoop. Try and collect a bunch of mode shots before you go get your collect. Also try and have 2X playfield running for that too. You can have 100-150 million from one CIU doing this.

#14584 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Once you hit one of the drops, sparky, coffin, and snake, you’ll have a collect ready at the scoop. Try and collect a bunch of mode shots before you go get your collect. Also try and have 2X playfield running for that too. You can have 100-150 million from one CIU doing this.

THIS!
This is what I'm not gettin!
Thanks Chuck for the reminder. I need to switch my focal point grazie.

#14585 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

The big points come from the CIU modes, its that simple. You do good in the CIU modes and you score big, you choke and you dont. Its a low scoring game until you do good in those modes and i choke every Fckin time in them also.

#14586 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The big points come from the CIU modes, its that simple. You do good in the CIU modes and you score big, you choke and you dont. Its a low scoring game until you do good in those modes and i choke every Fckin time in them also.

Good to know...but I suck in them...every time. Play better.

#14587 5 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Good to know...but I suck in them...every time. Play better.

I need to play better. I wont deny that for one second.

#14588 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

THIS!
This is what I'm not gettin!
Thanks Chuck for the reminder. I need to switch my focal point to THIS.
Grazie!

If you can finish all the Sparky jackpots (10 I think), the Sparky super jackpots are about 2 million I think. I have maybe done about 7 Sparky's.

I'm not sure I have ever scored over 250 million on Metallica. But maybe that will change now. I also need to do better at the CIU.

Rob

#14589 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Milk the for whom the bell tolls ciu. Go for 100m+ then collect

#14590 5 years ago

my best score is about 290M and that's without a single CIU. as chuck spelled out, it's about stacking the multiballs and getting that 2x playfield going. the fuel shot off of the tip of the right flipper is actually pretty easy once you get it down and there's little risk in missing it

#14591 5 years ago

I'm thinking about ordering these side blades from retro refurbs...

Anyone ever buy these side blades (or any side blades) from retro refurbs? Thoughts?

3-5 (resized).jpg3-5 (resized).jpg
#14592 5 years ago

I still don't know what to specifically to shoot for in the different CIU modes. I just go for the main cash out shots then shoot anything that is lit up.

#14593 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I still don't know what to specifically to shoot for in the different CIU modes. I just go for the main cash out shots then shoot anything that is lit up.

That is exactly what to do in CIU modes

For Whom The Bell Tolls: Hit flashing shots.
Fade to Black: One shot will be lit for full value jackpot, then usually changes to different shot if you collect it.
Battery: Sparky bash mode. Each time you bash Sparky, it lights other shots electric chair inserts for jackpots.
Enter Sandman: Three random inserts on the ramps/loops/cross will be flashing. You must shoot a shot with at least one of the flashing inserts to get a full value jackpot and light that insert(s) solidly. Each time you hit ANY switch, the 3 inserts that are lit will change to new random positions. If 2 or 3 inserts are flashing on the same shot, if you shoot that shot, it will award you a 2x/3x jackpot and 2x/3x progress value. Solidly light all the inserts to score the completion bonus.

#14594 5 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Fade to Black: One shot will be lit for full value jackpot, then usually changes to different shot if you collect it.

Switches. After you reach a certain number of switch hits you get a JP.

Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

For Whom The Bell Tolls: Hit flashing shots.

All major shots are jackpots but once you hit any given shot a certain number of times (inserts are all lit up) the value drops. I think you may need to clear all of them to have them reset or hit scoop for next round, or they never reset.

#14595 5 years ago

I just finished Fade to Black for the first time this morning. Collected a $50m jackpot. What a rush! So slick how the playfield lighting "fades to black." Had a $300M grand champion score.

#14596 5 years ago

I haven't played mine for a while and was trying to explain the rules the other day about lighting/locking in the hurry up inserts to help advance to CIU. I can't remember how to get them started/flashing.

#14597 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I haven't played mine for a while and was trying to explain the rules the other day about lighting/locking in the hurry up inserts to help advance to CIU. I can't remember how to get them started/flashing.

You light a shot by shooting it. One will be lit by default on plunge. Hitting the cross, sparky, and snake will light the insert for that shot. Once you get all three for a shot, then all inserts for that shot will be flashing. Hit that shot again and it will start the hurry up. Hit the captured ball to collect hurry up and lock in all the inserts for that shot the rest of the game. Collecting all the hurry ups will start Seek and Destroy but after that all inserts will reset.

#14598 5 years ago

Seek and Destroy if very bittersweet. I wish you had to qualify it with a shot to the scoop, "So you want to start Seek and Destroy?"

#14599 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

You have to complete the row by lighting the cross, snake and electric chair inserts. This will cause the row to start strobing. You then need to shoot the row to start the hurry up, which is collected at the captive ball/cube. This locks in that row, so that every time you shoot that row you get awarded all three items. If you are trying to get to CIU, I find it's best to complete the graveyard and right ramp rows as soon as possible, since these are the easiest shots to make.

#14600 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

All of the main shots (Left and right orbit, both ramps and crosses) have 3 inserts below their red arrow insert, one for the electrocution switch, one for the snake and one for the cross. Shooting a main shot will light the red arrow insert, then shooting sparky, the snake or the cross will light the corresponding insert below the red arrow. Once all 3 are lit below one of shots it will start flashing, shooting that shot will then start the hurry up and finally shooting the coffin captive ball will award the hurry up and 'lock in' that shot. Subsequent shots to that spot will award 1 snake, 1 sparky and one cross to your CIU count.

Easier to explain with an example... shoot the right ramp, your red arrow will now be lit in front if it, now shoot the snake, the yellow insert below the red arrow will be lit, now shoot sparky, the electrocution switch insert will now be lit below the red arrow, now shoot the crosses, your final cross insert below the red arrow will be lit. Now shoot the right ramp again to start the hurry up, now shoot the coffin captive ball and your right ramp shot is 'locked in'.

Things to keep in mind - The red arrow will move around each time you make one of the main shots. Shooting the cross will always move the arrow there until you have locked in that shot so I usually try to look in the crosses shot first. If you manage to get all of the main shots fully locked in you start another mode (Blackened?), so there is an argument to be made to not do that because when the mode ends all of your shots are reset.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 25.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 21,662 posts in this topic. You are on page 292 of 434.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/292?hl=bsobie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.