Topic Stats

• 17,191 posts
  • 959 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Mr_Outlane
  • Topic is favorited by 369 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,943 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

AD7C5EAA-16FB-4FEE-AA98-7714687D0538 (resized).jpeg
AD43465E-F523-4444-AAF5-8EF60E341772 (resized).jpeg
EBFC9F4E-6334-49DF-9FAE-9F4546D2FA26 (resized).jpeg
C983082E-5120-4A3C-9B68-EB491421D7E7 (resized).jpeg
3508fb180bb5eddd6ce77b68e97d976e00ff52fd.jpeg (resized).jpg
EF82459E-3D35-4C2F-A1A4-D5A5AF738B5B (resized).jpeg
12F2F3CA-9A84-4A07-8498-CDFCAD6BB449 (resized).jpeg
BDAA4093-FC41-4AF3-98C0-C8F4AFE06BC5 (resized).jpeg
5B2DBA3D-D33B-4FA3-B478-0C8902164D28.jpeg
08A2353A-227F-4471-B644-99250F8CD1ED (resized).jpeg
EE77AE9B-F9D2-4417-95C1-487A0003B0A6 (resized).jpeg
C2778CF1-BE72-4435-A7A3-956014D956D6 (resized).jpeg
EB43D533-A925-4165-9D81-02CB119BFBFD (resized).jpeg
FA45EFDB-A47E-43E1-93E9-D6B9E5A82DA2 (resized).jpeg
Dp4gQ5MU4AAC7vo (resized).jpg
20200106_232456 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 17191 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 344.
#1401 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

You say you would never go back, is there a potential downfall to substituting this?

Nothing big that I've found. There's an off chance that when the magnet turns on the ball in play will attract to the captive ball (as it is magnetic, not to be confused with 'magnetized'). It's super rare to do (maybe 1 in 100 games I've see it?) and it doesn't hurt anything in anyway that I'm aware of.

Gameplay wise, it's much more fun with the captive ball. The sparky shot is marginally easier from the right, and there is a lot more action and deflection off the ball as opposed to the block. I would also say the shot registers better/more reliably but I could be imagining things there.

#1402 5 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Fill the meter at the bottom of the DMD by shooting jackpots (orbits and sparky) or with switch hits, SJP is at Sparky. I don't know how many exactly you need, or how many switch hits are 'equivalent' to a jackpot. Jackpots fill the meter fast, switches slowly.

After 7 SJP's (I think 7 is all faces?) all shots become lit for SJP's. Its insane points especially with 2x or 4x going. Like 4 mil+ a shot for ANY chair shot.
Also if you get the chance, try to check out the DMD when you get a SJP - there are like 3-4 different DMD animations that are all awesome as you get more and more SJP's. I didn't know this until I watched someone else get a bunch of SJP's.

Wow, amazing how just reading this changes my perception of the game! Wish Stern would produce rule sheets.

#1403 5 years ago

Nothing big that I've found. There's an off chance that when the magnet turns on the ball in play will attract to the captive ball (as it is magnetic, not to be confused with 'magnetized'). It's super rare to do (maybe 1 in 100 games I've see it?) and it doesn't hurt anything in anyway that I'm aware of.
Gameplay wise, it's much more fun with the captive ball. The sparky shot is marginally easier from the right, and there is a lot more action and deflection off the ball as opposed to the block. I would also say the shot registers better/more reliably but I could be imagining things there.

Ok cool.. Even if it didnt improve gameplay, its worth it just to get rid of that eyesore block and any metal shavings it is sure to be leaving.

#1404 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Wow, amazing how just reading this changes my perception of the game! Wish Stern would produce rule sheets.

I can vaguely explain pretty much any mode you'd like if there's any others you aren't following. I'm not 100% sure on all scoring metrics or exactly how certain jackpots build (blackened mode being the best example) but the overall goals of any given mode or multiball are pretty ingrained in my brain (I think)

#1405 5 years ago

Hi guys, loving this great game.
I have noticed my last two games the ball has gotten stuck/hung up on the snake jaw and the stand up target next to it. A shake of the machine would not release it, always have to slide the glass and free it with a finger. It never did this before, and nothing looks as its out of adjustment. Kinda weird it JUST started doing this. It did it only 3 times, all 3 and my last two games, and I played 7 altogether last night. Snake was adjusted by distributuor when I bought it new and had other things put on. Had machine since 2nd of July.

#1406 5 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Hi guys, loving this great game.
I have noticed my last two games the ball has gotten stuck/hung up on the snake jaw and the stand up target next to it. A shake of the machine would not release it, always have to slide the glass and free it with a finger. It never did this before, and nothing looks as its out of adjustment. Kinda weird it JUST started doing this. It did it only 3 times, all 3 and my last two games, and I played 7 altogether last night. Snake was adjusted by distributuor when I bought it new and had other things put on. Had machine since 2nd of July.

Has your standup target moved a little to the left, or is it aligned straight up and down? Mezelmods recently started selling standup splints to prevent standup targets from moving. This is a common problem where the target moves and partially blocks certain shots.

http://mezelmods.com/products/stern-target-splints

#1407 5 years ago

No, it hasn't moved none. I was thinking that as well, but its still the same. It is abit over toward the right to clear for snake shot, has always been like this. Just weird it started doing this, never a problem with stuck ball there. I do have to change the setting where you get the ball back if you have to pull the glass. My wife finally made it to her first CIU mode, and then it got stuck, ball 3 to, ended her game, she was pissed. She tried rocking the machine side to side, but it wouldn't release. I really didn't like seeing the machine on 2 legs back and forth, I guess it did no harm, game didn't tilt, just DANGER kept coming on. What do you do when a stuck ball occurs on any machione shake the machine or just open up the glass to release ball?

#1408 5 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

No, it hasn't moved none. I was thinking that as well, but its still the same. It is abit over toward the right to clear for snake shot, has always been like this. Just weird it started doing this, never a problem with stuck ball there. I do have to change the setting where you get the ball back if you have to pull the glass. My wife finally made it to her first CIU mode, and then it got stuck, ball 3 to, ended her game, she was pissed. She tried rocking the machine side to side, but it wouldn't release. I really didn't like seeing the machine on 2 legs back and forth, I guess it did no harm, game didn't tilt, just DANGER kept coming on. What do you do when a stuck ball occurs on any machione shake the machine or just open up the glass to release ball?

Step 1) Shake
Step 2) If step 1 doesn't work, remove glass
Step 3) If it keeps happening, figure out what's causing it and find a fix.

I was getting a ball stuck to the left of the far left pop lane. I could usually jiggle it loose, but it bugged me, so I changed to another size rubber post ring, and it's never stopped there again.

I was also getting balls stuck on the front lip of the snake. A jiggle would sometimes release it, but sometimes I had to shake pretty hard. I shimmed the snake assembly from underneath with washers to drop the snake jaw a little, and it doesn't do it as much anymore, but it still does once in a while.

#1409 5 years ago

I can vaguely explain pretty much any mode you'd like if there's any others you aren't following. I'm not 100% sure on all scoring metrics or exactly how certain jackpots build (blackened mode being the best example) but the overall goals of any given mode or multiball are pretty ingrained in my brain (I think)

Do you know how to build up the MOP mb jackpot? Whenever I get the super, I see it says jp X1. My assumption is it goes to X2, then X3, etc... For each super jackpot achieved?

I think I have sparky mb down rules wise after your precious explanation. How about A little rules explanation for coffin, snake, and MOP? Thanks

#1410 5 years ago

So Metallica premiums are no longer being made. People still gobbling up what's left of them... Modern day medieval madness going to start climbing in value as stern keeps shitting out everything sub par to it since... Anyone agree?

#1411 5 years ago

Heres some pic's. Where the black " X " is, that's where the ball gets hung up.10418365_10202644919993937_1835941185862354893_n.jpg10516850_10202644920313945_2105350871150556336_n.jpg10600483_10202644921833983_8922117753046746294_n.jpg

#1412 5 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Heres some pic's. Where the black " X " is, that's where the ball gets hung up.

Can you put a different style or larger rubber post ring on that post behind the standup?

#1413 5 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I was also getting balls stuck on the front lip of the snake.

The ball gets hung up the right side up against the post and standup target while its sitting in the right corner of the snake bottom jaw.

Quoted from Sparky:

Can you put a different style or larger rubber post ring on that post behind the standup?

That is a bigger mini post super band then the black one I replaced it with.

#1414 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Do you know how to build up the MOP mb jackpot? Whenever I get the super, I see it says jp X1. My assumption is it goes to X2, then X3, etc... For each super jackpot achieved?

Nope, much easier in theory than that. You simply have to make 3 (used to be 4) lit cross shots while the ball is magnet locked on the cross to increase the multiplier by 1x. That increased multiplier remains for the entire game to my knowledge.

I think I have sparky mb down rules wise after your precious explanation. How about A little rules explanation for coffin, snake, and MOP? Thanks

CROSS:
- All cross inserts are lit at MB start. Shoot shots to collect jackpots and extinguish the crosses (ie-jackpot no longer available). Shoot the cross to collect a jackpot AND relight all jackpots.

- After 5 (I think) jackpots the cross is lit for a double jackpot and magnet lock. Once a ball is locked on the magnet the super is lit at the cross. Super multiplier (on DMD) can be increased by shooting 3 lit cross shots. This multiplier carries over ball to ball.

- Shoot magnet locked ball on cross for super jackpot

SNAKE:
- all snake shots are lit for jackpots, shoot one shot to collect a jackpot and increase "snake combo to 2x", shoot another within a short time frame to collect a jackpot and increase "snake combo to 3x".

- With a snake combo at 2x or 3x, if you hit the snake jaw/scoop within a short time, you are awarded a 2x or 3x jackpot which is considered the super jackpot.

- basically this is kinda a messy combo mode where if you string 2 shots together and hit the snake all within a certain time you get the full 3x (super) jackpot. the exact timing on the 'snake combo multiplier' is unknown to me but I assume its the same as the standard combo timer.

- Note that inserts/jackpots do not go out in this mode - this is the best multiball (imo) to stack into coffin MB because all shots are jackpots and remain lit constantly so you don't have to worry about relighting them.

COFFIN:
- Starts out with only the coffin lit. Shoot coffin to light all jackpots (spider arrows/purple arrows on LE).

- Shoot a lit jackpot to collect that shot. All jackpots will go out and only coffin is lit again. Hit coffin to relight all uncollected jackpots.

- repeat this for each spider arrow shot (including the fuel lane) and the coffin will be lit for a super.

- In coffin MB you can start any one of the other 3 multiballs. As I said above, Snake is imo the best 'choice' due to permanent jackpots on all shots. Sparky suffers by having no jackpots on the ramps or the cross shot, and Cross MB suffers because jackpots go out and have to be relit.

#1415 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

So Metallica premiums are no longer being made. People still gobbling up what's left of them... Modern day Medieval Madness going to start climbing in value as stern keeps shitting out everything sub par to it since... Anyone agree?

Not without more code updates. Having owned my Metallica for a few months now, I see all sorts of flaws with the code. Luckily, Lyman is a kick add programmer and these issues are easily resolved with tweaking feature adjustments.

What's wrong with the code you might ask? Well, to put it bluntly, it's linear. I know, blasphemy to call a Lyman game linear, but it takes too much effort and time to get the ruleset moving. Don't get me wrong, the rules for each mode and mb appear to be classic Lyman genius ness. But it takes so long to get the ball rolling on the ruleset. There's just too much of a gap in between starting multiballs and playing modes that the game gets a little too repetitious on the side of mb's. What I did to fix this is made S&D inserts carry over ball to ball; lowered amount of shots to qualify CIU to 10 (down from 15); and lowered blackened band member qualifications to 1 (i think gotta check that).

What that does is disperses the ruleset to give more variety in less playtime. Working much better for me but besides the rules for each mode being kick ass and awesome, the ruleset is quite limited. ,

#1416 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

So Metallica premiums are no longer being made. People still gobbling up what's left of them... Modern day Medieval Madness going to start climbing in value as stern keeps shitting out everything sub par to it since... Anyone agree?

Agree.

There is some on ebay available, and I see the prices have gone up quite abit since I got my monsters premium.

#1417 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Not without more code updates. Having owned my Metallica for a few months now, I see all sorts of flaws with the code. Luckily, Lyman is a kick add programmer and these issues are easily resolved with tweaking feature adjustments.
What's wrong with the code you might ask? Well, to put it bluntly, it's linear. I know, blasphemy to call a Lyman game linear, but it takes too much effort and time to get the ruleset moving. Don't get me wrong, the rules for each mode and mb appear to be classic Lyman genius ness. But it takes so long to get the ball rolling on the ruleset. There's just too much of a gap in between starting multiballs and playing modes that the game gets a little too repetitious on the side of mb's. What I did to fix this is made S&D inserts carry over ball to ball; lowered amount of shots to qualify CIU to 10 (down from 15); and lowered blackened band member qualifications to 1 (i think gotta check that).
What that does is disperses the ruleset to give more variety in less playtime. Working much better for me but besides the rules for each mode being kick ass and awesome, the ruleset is quite limited. ,

What are those setting numbers? I agree it does take awhile to get going, a few adjustments like you mentioned more "variety".

#1418 5 years ago

Jeff - Both of those targets looks to be out of center. For the snake, try to push the stack back to the middle and see if that helps. You'll have to do it by hand vs playing it as once you hit that ramp a couple of times the stacks will go back to that position.

Also, what pitch is your game at? At 6.5 to 7 degrees it doesn't seem that would happen to easily just due to gravity. I almost wonder if you balls are slightly magnitized too.

#1419 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

What's wrong with the code you might ask? Well, to put it bluntly, it's linear. I know, blasphemy to call a Lyman game linear, but it takes too much effort and time to get the ruleset moving. Don't get me wrong, the rules for each mode and mb appear to be classic Lyman genius ness. But it takes so long to get the ball rolling on the ruleset. There's just too much of a gap in between starting multiballs and playing modes that the game gets a little too repetitious on the side of mb's.

100% agree

What I did to fix this is made S&D inserts carry over ball to ball; lowered amount of shots to qualify CIU to 10 (down from 15); and lowered blackened band member qualifications to 1 (i think gotta check that).
What that does is disperses the ruleset to give more variety in less playtime. Working much better for me but besides the rules for each mode being kick ass and awesome, the ruleset is quite limited.

Agree on everything except the S&D change. I really like the fact that they go away when you drain if you haven't properly locked in the inserts with the hurry-up. Keeps the goals changing in a MB whne you see hurry ups ready.

As far as starting CIU modes, my feeling is that the first CIU should be easier to start but worth less points, and each progressive CIU mode would be a bit harder to start, but worth more and more points. This would let you get into the meat of the game easier but at a lower value, and also add some strategy to the actual order you pick CIU modes. The 3rd or 4th CIU would be more valuable than the 1st, so if you were really good at say, fade to black, do you pick it first and pull low but guaranteed points out, or do you save it for last and score huge at the risk of not getting to it?

#1420 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Jeff - Both of those targets looks to be out of center. For the snake, try to push the stack back to the middle and see if that helps. You'll have to do it by hand vs playing it as once you hit that ramp a couple of times the stacks will go back to that position.
Also, what pitch is your game at? At 6.5 to 7 degrees it doesn't seem that would happen to easily just due to gravity. I almost wonder if you balls are slightly magnitized too.

6.5 degrees. Not sure what you mean about the snake stack. I'am changing balls out now, I have noticed about 3 times where they stick to the captive ball sometimes. Put balls in back in july when got the game, PBL's oh shinny ones.

#1421 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Also agree with most of this. Sometimes the game feels grindy to me, particularly when starting over on lost S&D inserts, or the more typical "Gotta start collecting for CIU" feeling. (Though I guess we could call all pinball grindy at some point.) I'm going to try both of these changes tonight, particularly lowering the CIU to 10 shots, but a part of me does think that losing the S&D is part of challenge. I already have mine set pretty generously for extra balls (combo shots lowered, on replay), but it would be fun to see a little faster progression to CIU.

Also, thanks for adding the MB jackpot rules above. Very cool and I look forward to understanding those modes better.

#1422 5 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

6.5 degrees. Not sure what you mean about the snake stack. I'am changing balls out now, I have noticed about 3 times where they stick to the captive ball sometimes. Put balls in back in july when got the game, PBL's oh shinny ones.

The stack is the targets. They should be centered and yours are both leaning out from the ramp.

#1423 5 years ago

As far as starting CIU modes, my feeling is that the first CIU should be easier to start but worth less points, and each progressive CIU mode would be a bit harder to start, but worth more and more points. This would let you get into the meat of the game easier but at a lower value, and also add some strategy to the actual order you pick CIU modes. The 3rd or 4th CIU would be more valuable than the 1st, so if you were really good at say, fade to black, do you pick it first and pull low but guaranteed points out, or do you save it for last and score huge at the risk of not getting to it?

This is a great idea.

#1424 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

The stack is the targets. They should be centered and yours are both leaning out from the ramp.

changed out the balls, played several games and it didn't happen again. Even tried to duplicate it by hand and couldn't. If I adjust those targets then they will be off centered. They are pretty much straight up and down.

#1425 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Where can the target go 85vette? ? It looks even and straight to me. I made sure Gio at PR centered and straighten them, out of the box, they were leaning real bad. What does yours look like or anyone elses look like? I will get those splints from metzelmods, in time, for peace of mind. Thanks for the help.

10418365_10202644919993937_1835941185862354893_n.jpg

#1426 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I completely agree on the band member qualifications. I don't think we see that mode nearly often enough, I get to it maybe once in 20 games or so (and then its a jinx and I usually drain immediately after starting it). I don't get why they made the number of sets of picks go 2-3-4-5 for each qualification. It seems like going 1-2-3-4 would be the ovious choice for that mode and make it a little more reachable. Of course they also need to add the clearly intended song Four Horsemen and change the mode name to match the animations but that's another story..

I agree with Purpledrilmonkey on the SND shots though, I like that right where it is. However I think they should do something about the inserts resetting after SND. Its almost counterproductive sometimes (if you don't have it stacked) because of how it slows your progress to the next CIU. Sometimes the spider inserts stay orange for a while after it but I don't know what that means.

CIUs could be slightly easier to qualify but I really don't have a problem with how they are now either. Its really just Blackened mode I feel like takes a little too long to reach.

#1427 5 years ago

It looks good. The other pic looked like it was at an angle.

#1428 5 years ago

I have never gotten to Search and Destroy, its kinda frustrating to always get Lady Justice and Blackend and maybe get to one CIU and drain. I know I suck, but High score so far is 270 million have no idea what happened or how I got it. Things get crazy during multi-ball, I gotta cradle during multi-ball more, I don't, so the madness continues. Its fun game, even though I not scoring much, or seeing any other modes.

#1429 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

That's a great question. You should start a new price thread specifically about MET. There's not nearly enough talk about game values around here lately.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

What's wrong with the code you might ask? Well, to put it bluntly, it's linear. I know, blasphemy to call a Lyman game linear, but it takes too much effort and time to get the ruleset moving.

I disagree. On default or location settings (not tourney settings), the balance is just about right. If you have a good strategy, you can easily get to two CIU modes (or more) most games. If you waste time on multiballs or S&D, yes, it will take longer to reach CIU modes. If you play efficiently, you bring in multiballs when appropriate and S&D finishes itself. Playing a multiball or S&D strategy only makes getting to CIU modes harder. Play only for CIU and I think you'll find the factory settings are fine.

CIU modes are mini wizard modes. Other than Keith Johnson games, what other games can you think of where so many mini wiz modes can be achieved by average players? Also worth noting the the final wiz mode on MET is a hell of a lot easier to get to than Encore on AC/DC. I haven't been there yet, but I don't own one and the nearest one to me on location is 50 miles away. I have been close though.

#1430 5 years ago
Quoted from EricR:

Sometimes the spider inserts stay orange for a while after it but I don't know what that means.

This is after you exit a CIU mode, it's like a victory lap side-mode. A portion of your CIU jackpot (25%?) is available at the scoop if you shoot and extinguish the orange arrows (all 6 arrows). These shots must be made in single ball play, and once the reward has been collected, the arrows light again. This continues until you drain at which point that victory lap mode is gone.

#1431 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

CIU modes are mini wizard modes. Other than Keith Johnson games, what other games can you think of where so many mini wiz modes can be achieved by average players?

I disagree that these are mini wizard modes at this point.The CIU qualifications are far too basic to claim they are a reward for truly skilled play - it's literally, bash stuff or shoot lit shots an arbitray number of time, and CIU eventually lights. That's a far cry from any recent mini wizard mode I'm familiar with like Danger Room, Destroy the Ring, Do or Die, Sentinel Prime, SoS, etc... where mode start and/or completion and/or specific multiball achievements are necessary to unlock the modes. If CIU qualification involved super jackpots, mode starts/completions I would tend to agree with you, but as it stands you simply just wail on the feature shots, and shoot lit inserts to get into it.

As it stands, I see CIU as an integral part to the game, not as a 'rare' reward for 'skilled' play. It is the ONLY progression in the whole game as all other modes simply recycle themselves over and over, and the qualifications to light CIU don't take much skill, just shoot shots long enough and you'll light it by accident eventually.

#1432 5 years ago

As it stands, I see CIU as an integral part to the game, not as a 'rare' reward for 'skilled' play.

I agree with the first part of that. Missed this earlier...

As far as starting CIU modes, my feeling is that the first CIU should be easier to start but worth less points, and each progressive CIU mode would be a bit harder to start, but worth more and more points.

They do get harder to start. Check instant info. And the differences in scoring between them forces you to make a strategic decision every time you start CIU. If they all went up in value equally each time, picking a mode would be meaningless. It would also make the game linear, which the poster above is suggesting is already there.

#1433 5 years ago

I also love that you have to decide to continue and build or collect the bonus in CIU.

#1434 5 years ago

hey guys, I am joining the club in about 2 weeks, I won the project pinball charity and I picked metallica as my prize, cant wait to get it , sounds like it is an awesome pin

#1435 5 years ago

There's just not enough straight forward modes or things to do in the game to justifiably call CIU mini wizard modes. It's a risk/reward mode. I'm digging having some of these settings lowered. I have more to shoot for with less work involved. If I kept my game on factory, it wouldn't last long. Plus, it's not like my home game is set up easy or giving out ebs for score, special, or anything of that sort. 3 balls (sometimes +1 for coffin) and that's usually it. If I ever light the piston eb or combo eb, I know I'm having a great game.

To sum it up, with the settings lowered and the pin more brutal, it gives it more of that TRON or IM feel where there's more to do in a limited timeframe.

#1436 5 years ago

This is after you exit a CIU mode, it's like a victory lap side-mode. A portion of your CIU jackpot (25%?) is available at the scoop if you shoot and extinguish the orange arrows (all 6 arrows). These shots must be made in single ball play, and once the reward has been collected, the arrows light again. This continues until you drain at which point that victory lap mode is gone.

Thanks for the info. I now have a new goal to try to acheive.

Quoted from bobbyt:

hey guys, I am joining the club in about 2 weeks, I won the project pinball charity and I picked Metallica as my prize, cant wait to get it , sounds like it is an awesome pin

Excellent choice, you won't be disappointed.

#1437 5 years ago

For those that want spinners on the pro, HOOKED will make a run if 20 sign up. Follow this link if interested. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-hkd-metallica-pro-with-add-on-spinners

#1438 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

To sum it up, with the settings lowered and the pin more brutal, it gives it more of that TRON or IM feel where there's more to do in a limited timeframe.

You obviously can do whatever you like with your game, but the last thing I want is MET feeling like Tron or IM. Tron and IM are simple games. MET isn't. It should take longer.

#1439 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

You obviously can do whatever you like with your game, but the last thing I want is MET feeling like Tron or IM. Tron and IM are simple games. MET isn't. It should take longer.

Ya I hear you, and I agree to an extent. But it shouldn't take you 5 mins just to start a mode (spark/gm mb excluded). Maybe I'm just getting less hardcore in my old age and want diversity without all the effort. I dunno. Gotta install that darn tourny button so I can go back and forth

#1440 5 years ago

My magnets all stopped working. All the sudden the coffin magnet grabbed the ball, held it and the hammer never went down, and the magnet just kept holding it, then after it released it, ALL magnets in the game no longer work. Game does have the upgraded magnet board as I checked the Stern website and matched up my serial numbers. Any idea where to look? Has this happened to anyone elses Metallica? Thanks

#1441 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

They do get harder to start. Check instant info.

Well aware my friend. There's few secrets in this game from me anymore. My point was that the first CIU should be easier to start, thus opening the mid-game features up sooner, without unbalancing the scoring, but still get harder as you play.

And the differences in scoring between them forces you to make a strategic decision every time you start CIU. If they all went up in value equally each time, picking a mode would be meaningless. It would also make the game linear, which the poster above is suggesting is already there.

There's nothing strategic about it at all when I play. Yeah the modes score different but it's irrelevant what order you play them so there's no advantage to saving your stronger modes for higher scoring opportunity. Once you know how the modes work and where the points are there is no reason to change the order of CIU play except boredom and curiosity.

Currently In a competition setting, I would pick the same modes, in the same order, all day long, in order of their ease and score potential. That's not decision making, it's just a given order. Now, if the 4th CIU mode was 4x as valuable than if it had been played first, that would change my thinking on the fly entirely based on my competition and how the game is playing.

I'm not suggesting all modes be balanced against each other, instead that the first time thru any CIU, it would be a) easier to start and b) worth say 1/4 as much as it is right now. This would prevent me from picking fade to black every single time (on a premium at least) as that is my highest scoring mode and would be better saved for the final CIU where points could theoretically be 4x as much (more along the current scoring)

#1442 5 years ago

This would prevent me from picking fade to black every single time, as that is my highest scoring mode and would be better saved for the final CIU where points could theoretically be 4x as much (more along the current scoring)

I must be doing something wrong on FTB since I have much more luck with FWTBT on average.

#1443 5 years ago
Quoted from EricR:

I must be doing something wrong on FTB since I have much more luck with FWTBT on average.

With the latest update FWTBT is arguably more lucrative, but it requires better shooting to all shots to keep the scoring going. On a pro, I would probably pick FWTBT for the record due to lack of spinners.

For FTB on a premium/LE: shoot spinners. All day.

#1444 5 years ago

Currently In a competition setting, I would pick the same modes, in the same order, all day long, in order of their ease and score potential. That's not decision making, it's just a given order. Now, if the 4th CIU mode was 4x as valuable than if it had been played first, that would change my thinking on the fly entirely based on my competition and how the game is playing.
I'm not suggesting all modes be balanced against each other, instead that the first time thru any CIU, it would be a) easier to start and b) worth say 1/4 as much as it is right now. This would prevent me from picking fade to black every single time (on a premium at least) as that is my highest scoring mode and would be better saved for the final CIU where points could theoretically be 4x as much (more along the current scoring)

Seems like the current rules are ideal for competitive play. With lots of pitch and wide open outlanes, you'll be lucky to start a CIU mode. I remember folks at Pinburgh being happy they started Sparky MB. If you are fortunate enough to start a CIU mode, you should get big points and crush anyone that hasn't started a CIU mode. Gimping the first CIU mode would make going for CIU mostly pointless in competitive play. Instead it would be MB, MB, MB, rinse, repeat.

#1445 5 years ago

With the latest update FWTBT is arguably more lucrative, but it requires better shooting to all shots to keep the scoring going. On a pro, I would probably pick FWTBT for the record due to lack of spinners.
For FTB on a premium/LE: shoot spinners. All day.

That's probably my problem with FTB, I need to focus on the spinners more and not bother with the other shots.

#1446 5 years ago

I like the idea for progressive ciu. On a premium, in competition, ftb is the only mode anyone would play... Stern could also nerf ftb,or make some of the other modes a little more attractive. Like perhaps add more points on a different mode to focus primarily on the drop targets as these often pose a higher risk for drain than the safer orbit shots or even sparky hits..

#1447 5 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

My magnets all stopped working. All the sudden the coffin magnet grabbed the ball, held it and the hammer never went down, and the magnet just kept holding it, then after it released it, ALL magnets in the game no longer work. Game does have the upgraded magnet board as I checked the Stern website and matched up my serial numbers. Any idea where to look? Has this happened to anyone elses Metallica? Thanks

1. Look for the chart in the backbox that tells you which fuse is for the magnets.

2. Check this fuse and/or just replace it.

I had to make this fix on a friend's MET, and if someone had told me about #1 above, I would have saved a lot of time searching through the manual.

#1448 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Seems like the current rules are ideal for competitive play. With lots of pitch and wide open outlanes, you'll be lucky to start a CIU mode.

I will say it's a fairly level playing field competition wise, the game certainly isn't unbalanced badly.

However I think it's odd that 80% of the game should be almost unobtanium in a tournament setting. This is a downfall of ST as well - with the quantity of crap to complete it's rare to actually see anything exciting.

I remember folks at Pinburgh being happy they started Sparky MB. If you are fortunate enough to start a CIU mode, you should get big points and crush anyone that hasn't started a CIU mode.

Pinburgh is a poor tournament to use as an example imo. When you get 3 balls and that's it, it's not often anyone starts anything on most machines. As Bowen has stated online and in person many times, that tournament is a self-professed fun-fest, not so much a measure of true competitive play. That being said, wouldn't it be even more fun if some CIU action happened?

Gimping the first CIU mode would make going for CIU mostly pointless in competitive play. Instead it would be MB, MB, MB, rinse, repeat.

I actually agree here, it would make shooting for CIU start less valuable, but the matches I've seen with MET in a true tourney setting, I don't see anyone actively shooting to start CIU anyway. Instead the dominant strategy is Sparky MB over and over and over, until CIU happens to be lit, then pick FTB since its switch hit based and you're guaranteed some points even with crap play.

Either way, I don't think anything is going to change with the game, AFAIK it's closer to 'finished' than ACDC and frankly it is damn good as is. I just wish there were reasons to pick Battery or Enter Sandman first, but other than for fun or curiosity, there's none.

#1449 5 years ago
Quoted from EricR:

That's probably my problem with FTB, I need to focus on the spinners more and not bother with the other shots.

The flashing shot is valuable as well, but its way easier (and more valuable) to dial in on spinners (I like the right orbit myself) and have the ball dribble out of the pops for a recovery.

If you happen to have justice mode going its bitter-sweet however - the up-post will stay down and not feed the pops. So you get two spinners spinning, but the ball is more out of control. Course if you disable the post it's always like this (which is why I advocate leaving it enabled now for little subtleties like this)

#1450 5 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Check Fuse #7 behind the back glass. Mine blew once. Replaced it and no problems since

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 93.00
There are 17191 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 344.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside