711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg
IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,646 posts in this topic. You are on page 287 of 433.
#14301 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

And you soldered to the tabs on each board, right?
Nah, I just went down and triple checked, just so I know I'm not crazy. Switched wires back and forth and tried multiple bulbs. Do you have a metal backbox led run premium?

Yep... Soldered onto each board.

IMG_20181007_204531 (resized).jpgIMG_20181007_204531 (resized).jpg
#14302 5 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Yep... Soldered onto each board.[quoted image]

You can see the lights as well shining thru the switch slots.

#14305 5 years ago

Point taken.

Sorry to have brought it up.

#14306 5 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Nope..if u don't want it..don't buy it.

I'm not buying it, but I would still like to know.

Someone needs to release a definitive topper for this game. Stern maybe?? Little late I know.

#14307 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I'm not buying it, but I would still like to know.
Someone needs to release a definitive topper for this game. Stern maybe?? Little late I know.

I used to think toppers and mods were must have options..but use that money to get more pins! unless u plan on keeping it forever, then make it as pretty as you like! Kinda like powder coating! Looks sweet.. but costs $$!

#14308 5 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I used to think toppers and mods were must have options..but use that money to get more pins! unless u plan on keeping it forever, then make it as pretty as you like! Kinda like powder coating! Looks sweet.. but costs $$!

I like to mod my playfield to make it a little nicer but dont really see the appeal to undercab lights, toppers, etc. Other than a coloured DMD, I focus on where I'll be looking most of the time. Exterior cab decorations are for when it's just sitting there in a corner.

#14309 5 years ago

+1 for the colour dmd!

#14310 5 years ago

+2 for the colordmd
MET - splash (resized).pngMET - splash (resized).png

#14311 5 years ago

Hope someone can shed some light on this problem. Since yesterday weird stuff has been happening on my met monsters. While in a multiball mode i could hear the coffin mb sounds where it spits out balls but there were no balls in there (well i thought that as i was playing sparky mb). When i lost all the balls and waited for the next ball nothing came out of the trough and i noticed a ball in the coffin lock area. Game went into ball search but it didn't pop this ball out. I had to switch off and on to get it to empty. I think the next game something else strange happened but i cant remember. Tonight after playing a decent game and sparkymultiball finished i had a few flips and then a two ball multiball started for no reason but soon after without even flipping a ball the flippers went dead and game over.

I did do a code update about a week ago just for the experience. V1.7 as before and no errors seemed to occur during the operation.

Any ideas?

#14312 5 years ago

Possibly a trough issue? I’d start there in switch test both with the balls in and out if the trough.

#14313 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

Gravestones are in the game... at least I believe they are on the UK version rather than the crosses.

Where? pics please!

#14314 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Where? pics please!

the uk region machines use tombstone shaped headstones instead of cross ones for the animations in graveyard multi-ball and when you hit the in-line drop targets

graveyard---rounded-tombstones.gifgraveyard---rounded-tombstones.gif
RIP-tombstone-rising-from-ground.gifRIP-tombstone-rising-from-ground.gif
graveyard---rounded-tombstones-(destroyed-by-lightning-L-R).gifgraveyard---rounded-tombstones-(destroyed-by-lightning-L-R).gif
graveyard---rounded-tombstone-(explode).gifgraveyard---rounded-tombstone-(explode).gif

#14315 5 years ago

What's up fellow metal heads!
I've been following this thread for years illegally, gritting my teeth, biding my time...
But now its official. Threw the cash down and BAM! She'll be here tuesday! So I'm in and don't have to hide back in the corner not a day longer! Ha!

#14316 5 years ago
Quoted from Mikedenton49:

What's up fellow metal heads!
I've been following this thread for years illegally, gritting my teeth, biding my time...
But now its official. Threw the cash down and BAM! She'll be here tuesday! So I'm in and don't have to hide back in the corner not a day longer! Ha!

You won’t regret it.

#14317 5 years ago

FYI - Stern just posted that they are doing the final production run of Met right now

met (resized).pngmet (resized).png
#14318 5 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

FYI - Stern just posted that they are doing the final production run of Met right now
[quoted image]

Biggest run of anything for them by a mile. What a success story this great machine is!

#14319 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Biggest run of anything for them by a mile. What a success story this great machine is!

Glad i scored a MET before they stopped making them!

#14320 5 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Yep... Soldered onto each board.[quoted image]

Hmmm. Hi that’s really frustrating. Why would it not work on mine? This is what I assumed would be an easy mod, but even the guy selling the mod says it won’t work on a premium. I have tried this several times thinking I’m losing my mind, but it just doesn’t work.

#14321 5 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

[quoted image]

I saw that today so everybody don't ask me if I want to sell my Refinery Pro when these last ones are gone, it aint for sale.

#14322 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

the uk region machines use tombstone shaped headstones instead of cross ones for the animations in graveyard multi-ball and when you hit the in-line drop targets
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I had no idea!!! That would be cool, unless you had an LE.

#14323 5 years ago

My 2013 MET has had really no issues other than the out-of-box problems. And my snake still has one unbroken fang, a badge of honor from the first run. Such a great game, mine is “bolted to the floor”.

#14324 5 years ago

I hate this game and then love it. I had an amazing game and I love it all over again. I either get destroyed or do super well... there is no middle ground who this machine for me.

Sincerely think the rules are fantastic. The playfield sorta sucks, if you really think about it. It's what Lyman did with the rules that makes the game.

#14325 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I saw that today so everybody don't ask me if I want to sell my Refinery Pro when these last ones are gone, it aint for sale.

Everything has a price.......

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#14327 5 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

Possibly a trough issue? I’d start there in switch test both with the balls in and out if the trough.

Agree sounds like trough issue. I’d reseat/check the connectors to the trough. Assuming the coffin lock area might have something similar, but I have a pro so not sure. When the game can’t reliably know where all the balls are it leads to things like flippers cutting out and ending ball early etc.

#14328 5 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

Hope someone can shed some light on this problem. Since yesterday weird stuff has been happening on my met monsters. While in a multiball mode i could hear the coffin mb sounds where it spits out balls but there were no balls in there (well i thought that as i was playing sparky mb). When i lost all the balls and waited for the next ball nothing came out of the trough and i noticed a ball in the coffin lock area. Game went into ball search but it didn't pop this ball out. I had to switch off and on to get it to empty. I think the next game something else strange happened but i cant remember. Tonight after playing a decent game and sparkymultiball finished i had a few flips and then a two ball multiball started for no reason but soon after without even flipping a ball the flippers went dead and game over.
I did do a code update about a week ago just for the experience. V1.7 as before and no errors seemed to occur during the operation.
Any ideas?

Magnetized balls can get stuck in the coffin lock, especially if there's 2 balls in there stuck together. That was a real problem for me when I first got my game. I had to change to different balls to fix that.

Flippers going dead in the middle of a ball is most likely the ball trough opto board, or the connecter on it. It's a known issue.

I think this is the parts: https://www.pinballlife.com/opto-transmitter-and-receiver-board-set-for-data-eastsegastern.html

Rob

#14329 5 years ago

Man I finally made it

14829DC3-C8C0-4846-A668-A6B57386CE91 (resized).jpeg14829DC3-C8C0-4846-A668-A6B57386CE91 (resized).jpeg8470831F-9F06-49A0-B791-BA292A1175D2 (resized).jpeg8470831F-9F06-49A0-B791-BA292A1175D2 (resized).jpeg
#14330 5 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

Man I finally made it
[quoted image][quoted image]

That is a incredible score, wow!

#14331 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Magnetized balls can get stuck in the coffin lock, especially if there's 2 balls in there stuck together. That was a real problem for me when I first got my game. I had to change to different balls to fix that.
Flippers going dead in the middle of a ball is most likely the ball trough opto board, or the connecter on it. It's a known issue.
I think this is the parts: https://www.pinballlife.com/opto-transmitter-and-receiver-board-set-for-data-eastsegastern.html
Rob

Those are data east parts, nt Stern.

#14332 5 years ago

Thanks guys really appreciate the thoughts. Will try these suggestions over the weekend. Got a couple of comps first then will give it a try. Thanks again

#14333 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

It's a changeable setting (can't remember where it is I've now sold mine). Also wasn't aware that this was a UK only option - are you sure about that?

Quoted from WJxxxx:

Has anyone else had any problems with updating their colour DMD?
I updated the game code to 1.7 - no problems except a few yellow screens due to code update.
Then uploaded the colorDMD file V 3.4 from the colorDMD website and now have lots more screens which are yellow, instead of coloured. Specifically the initial bonus screen and also the starting of Grave multiball, and the Grave Jackpot screens.
Memory stick has been used before and has been formatted correctly. It even shows I've uploaded V3.4.
At this rate I'd rather go back to V3.3 but don't see that as an option on the website
Any ideas?

ColorDMD didn't code the gravestones, just the crosses, on the release I downloaded for the Prem.

#14334 5 years ago

Grave stones is an option on Aussie games

#14335 5 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

Grave stones is an option on Aussie games

which option, if you know it???

#14336 5 years ago

this is probably one of the strangest instances where the animations vary by region in the game code but yet all versions of the game have a cross grave marker on the playfield. I don't recall stern changing out and putting a rounded grave marker (or rising rounded grave marker) in any of the games that they shipped outside of north america

@embryon
I would be interested in knowing which option this is as well (it would be kind of fun to change it in my machine if that's possible)

I wonder if the option is hardcoded to only display based on some other system setting (region?) or something that's physically on the boardset to indicates that it is an import game

#14337 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I don't recall stern changing out and putting a rounded grave marker (or rising rounded grave marker) in any of the games that they shipped outside of north america

Yep, Middle Eastern shipped games.

#14338 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Yep, Middle Eastern shipped games.

really? I'd like to see a picture of the playfield from one of those

#14339 5 years ago

Why would people want gravestones? It’s a Metallica pin.
The cross grave markers refer to the album artwork and the song “Disposable Hero’s” about the young soldiers sent off to die fighting someone else’s war.

#14340 5 years ago
Quoted from ktm450:

Why would people want gravestones? It’s a Metallica pin.
The cross grave markers refer to the album artwork and the song “Disposable Hero’s” about the young soldiers sent off to die fighting someone else’s war.

I think it's because the cross is seen as a christian symbol and that isn't acceptable with some other countries. It's probably a setting so the game isn't banned in those other countries.

Rob

#14341 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I think it's because the cross is seen as a christian symbol and that isn't acceptable with some other countries. It's probably a setting so the game isn't banned in those other countries.
Rob

A symbol banned. Ouch... and people complain about there freedom in the US.....

#14342 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

That is a incredible score, wow!

It took a while to get to end of the line. Almost 2 years of owning it. I’m selling my Metallica so I spent my 2 days off of work grinding and it paid off. Loved this game but it’s time to let another pin head enjoy it as I feel I’m good to let it go.

#14343 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

Might be the same as how the SS is Kiss is changed not to look like lightning bolts in the German games.

#14344 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

But the cross is still all over the playfield. Or is that changed, too?

#14345 5 years ago

I would imagine this is on all games including usa
Adjudtments
Game
#131 grave marker type

Also i think balls were magnetized causing my issues mentioned earlier. Thanks for the help

#14346 5 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

Any ideas?

I can't shed any light but can tell you I have the exact same issue going on. I'm on my third magnet board and this machine is only a year old. I'm not blowing fuses near as much but now the balls are not spitting out from the coffin. I can watch the little plastic plunger going up and down but its not releasing the balls. It goes into ball search mode and its all downhill from there. You need to shut the machine down and fire it back up, then it spits them right out. It will work fine for the first coffin MB but seems to act up on the second or third coffin MB if I make it that far. I pulled the balls out and they are not magnetized. I'm thinking something is heating up after a long game? I called Stern and they said they never heard of it happening and to try to get video of it happening. It really sucks when you're on the third or fourth crank it up mode and this happens.

#14347 5 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

I would imagine this is on all games including usa
Adjustments
Game
#131 grave marker type

yep, colordmd didn't color this option. I'll talk with randy and see if we can get the guy who did colored MET to go back and do these frames. it affects quite a few areas (collecting the mystery scoop [when scrolling through the available rewards], all graveyard animations and the end of ball bonus

#14348 5 years ago

I've got an odd issue with my MET that I've been living with since I got it but today things escalated . Occasionally/rarely (1 in 20/30 games kind of thing) within the ball save timer a second ball will kick out as if I had drained the first one, but I haven't... I could live with this as I'd just let one ball drain and move along. Today however a little past the ball save timer my ball ended while it was still in play... my flippers died, the ball bounced around and then I just kept playing the ball in play but it was now ball two... weird. Any suggestions on where to look?

#14349 5 years ago
Quoted from GT-500:

I can't shed any light but can tell you I have the exact same issue going on. I'm on my third magnet board and this machine is only a year old. I'm not blowing fuses near as much but now the balls are not spitting out from the coffin. I can watch the little plastic plunger going up and down but its not releasing the balls. It goes into ball search mode and its all downhill from there. You need to shut the machine down and fire it back up, then it spits them right out. It will work fine for the first coffin MB but seems to act up on the second or third coffin MB if I make it that far. I pulled the balls out and they are not magnetized. I'm thinking something is heating up after a long game? I called Stern and they said they never heard of it happening and to try to get video of it happening. It really sucks when you're on the third or fourth crank it up mode and this happens.

Hate to tell you but I bet your balls are magnetized. I never had issues with mine. Replaced my balls and after maybe a dozen or so plays had issues as you are describing.....change the balls. That’s what I did and all back to normal.

#14350 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

this is probably one of the strangest instances where the animations vary by region in the game code but yet all versions of the game have a cross grave marker on the playfield. I don't recall stern changing out and putting a rounded grave marker (or rising rounded grave marker) in any of the games that they shipped outside of north america
embryon
I would be interested in knowing which option this is as well (it would be kind of fun to change it in my machine if that's possible)
I wonder if the option is hardcoded to only display based on some other system setting (region?) or something that's physically on the boardset to indicates that it is an import game

I find it amazing that this game has been out for years, and this is just coming to light !

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations
Other
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
There are 21,646 posts in this topic. You are on page 287 of 433.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/287?hl=chipscott and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.