C7302EC0-E40C-4401-A735-26261435813E (resized).jpeg
38320F75-D438-4EC6-B8F0-EA529FC5A079 (resized).jpeg
51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,663 posts in this topic. You are on page 278 of 434.
#13851 5 years ago

Nobody is debating. I replaced it with a metal post and it didn't work.

Edit: I bent the coil bracket and its working a lit more consistently now. Not perfect and a little clunky of a mechanic, but it's working now.

#13852 5 years ago

Meallica Premium snake mouth switch. Normally closed and opens when the jaw is hit, is this correct?

I'm seeing rare occurrences where the ball goes in the snake mouth and is immediately spit out, but the shot doesn't count for anything and there's no sound/light effect either.

Rob

#13853 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Meallica Premium snake mouth switch. Normally closed and opens when the jaw is hit, is this correct?
I'm seeing rare occurrences where the ball goes in the snake mouth and is immediately spit out, but the shot doesn't count for anything and there's no sound/light effect either.
Rob

Not quite sure of the differences between the Pro and Premium but was the green light lit above the snakes head prior to shooting the snake? On the pro sometimes I find you have to shoot the snake just to get one of the snake inserts to light at which point it behaves like you've described except it actually lights some of the snake inserts, but nothing happening on the DMD or lights on the actual snake scoop. Then you need shoot one of the lit snake shots before you can shoot the actual snake and actually score a letter. Might that be the case on the Premium too?

#13854 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

Not quite sure of the differences between the Pro and Premium but was the green light lit above the snakes head prior to shooting the snake? On the pro sometimes I find you have to shoot the snake just to get one of the snake inserts to light at which point it behaves like you've described except it actually lights some of the snake inserts, but nothing happening on the DMD or lights on the actual snake scoop. Then you need shoot one of the lit snake shots before you can shoot the actual snake and actually score a letter. Might that be the case on the Premium too?

I think you are correct. If the snake isn't lit, it just spits out the ball. You need to hit a shot to re-light it and qualify collecting another letter.

I'm in the process of adding lights under my snake because I found it easy to miss seeing it lit with all the other lights in the game. Otherwise I'd just go confirm it 100% on my game.

#13855 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

Yes, the green light was lit, that I do remember. The premium operates like this:

Ball 1 start Snake Jaw is open.
Shoot in the mouth, mouth closes, letter is collected, snake insert (where blue insert is) is lit, mouth opens, ball spits out, mouth closes, green light turns off
Shoot a snake insert or the snake jaw to open the mouth again, the green light is turned on again.
Shoot ball in snake mouth to advance SNAKE and maybe light another insert.

If the ball goes in the mouth and the green light is on, it should count as a valid shot.

The snake mouth is a really cool toy by the way!

Rob

#13856 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Yes, the green light was lit, that I do remember. With the glass off I can throw the ball in the snake mouth one time after another and it keeps counting letters towards snake multiball. The requirement on the premium seems to be that you have to hit the jaw for the mouth to open, then you can put the ball in the mouth. When it's spits out, the mouth closes again. Each shot advances a SNAKE letter and lights a snake insert on the playfield (where the blue insert is pointing). Rules for the mouth to open during multiball are needing to hit all 4 pick targets and that opens it for 20 second 2x scoring.
From that it all seems pretty straightforward so I don't know why the snake would spit the ball out and not count the shot. I never saw a need to shoot snake inserts to light the snake.. The snake itself is what lights the snake inserts.
Rob

Very common issue, also happens in the mystery scoop kickout. The switch can register a ball to kick out, but needs slightly further engagement to actually register the hit. First try loosening the switch screws and repositioning so the actuator protrudes further into the mouth, otherwise you can bend the actuator arm.

#13857 5 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Very common issue, also happens in the mystery scoop kickout. The switch can register a ball to kick out, but needs slightly further engagement to actually register the hit. First try loosening the switch screws and repositioning so the actuator protrudes further into the mouth, otherwise you can bend the actuator arm.

Shades of that damn KISS scoop switch! I should have thought of that...

Rob

#13858 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Where did you get those cards?

Hey @Roostking. I made those cards for the machine. I found the pics online, cut and cropped the pics on the computer to "pretty close to size" for normal card and then printed them off. Usually I use cardstock paper, which is thicker and sturdier but thin enough to make it though standard color copier.

If you or anyone would like, if you PM me your email, I'll send them to you as an attachment. I'm in the process of moving, so it may take a day or so as I haven't hooked my home computer up yet, but I'd be more than happy to do that.
Cheers.

#13859 5 years ago

I pulled the whole snake assembly because it's easier to adjust the switch(es) that way. The wires were crossed through with other wires I could not disconnect so I had to remove 1 switch and 1 coil before I could pull the assembly out. I've had it out before, but this is the first time I've had it out on the replacement playfield. The wiring could have been done better, but it is what it is. I'll get it sorted out.......

Rob

#13860 5 years ago

yeah, pulling the snake assembly out is a real pain in the @ss but is definitely the easier way to work on it. just make sure that you line up the 2 halves of the assembly so that the vuk is hitting the ball directly in the center, otherwise the kickouts will start flying all over the place

#13861 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

When I said I took the sleeve off, I meant I put a metal one in there. It did jack shit for me. Surely there's more to it than that, as metal didn't make a bit of difference.
As for bending the coil bracket, do you mean so that it comes out at an angle?

I cut the coil sleeve down a little bit which added a little play in the post. That is when mine got to about 95% into the pops. Before that it was still rejecting 50%+ of the time. I think my original coil sleeve was tall enough that it actually went into the wood opening or right to it before (memory isn't serving me well today). When I made it flush with the coil bracket my problems went away.

May be another option.

#13862 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I cut the coil sleeve down a little bit which added a little play in the post. That is when mine got to about 95% into the pops. Before that it was still rejecting 50%+ of the time. I think my original coil sleeve was tall enough that it actually went into the wood opening or right to it before (memory isn't serving me well today). When I made it flush with the coil bracket my problems went away.
May be another option.

I'll have to try this as well. Thank you.

#13863 5 years ago

This morning my wife totally surprised me for my birthday and gave me the color dmd for my MET premium that I’ve been wanting forever. The fact that she was able to find where to get it and get the right one without really knowing much about my hobby just blew me away. I guess she does listen when I ramble on about this stuff. I don’t get surprised very often but this was one of those times!

Can’t wait for the work day to be over so I can get it installed. This is the last add on I wanted before considering my game complete.

Any pro tips for the install as far as stuff I should watch out for??

#13864 5 years ago
Quoted from JB-7X:

It really depends on which backbox you have in your game. But really, it is a pretty straighforward install.

Oh, and you chose your wife wisely.

#13865 5 years ago
Quoted from JB-7X:

This morning my wife totally surprised me for my birthday and gave me the color dmd for my MET premium

She's a keeper...

#13866 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

It really depends on which backbox you have in your game. But really, it is a pretty straighforward install.
Oh, and you chose your wife wisely.

I have the older style wooden box. I saw she ordered the extra kit for the metal box cause she was unsure about what I had. I’m sure sooner or later that kit will get used when I eventually get my next game which will more than likely be whatever newer stern game catches my eye by the time I get the money together

#13867 5 years ago
Quoted from JB-7X:

I have the older style wooden box. I saw she ordered the extra kit for the metal box cause she was unsure about what I had. I’m sure sooner or later that kit will get used when I eventually get my next game which will more than likely be whatever newer stern game catches my eye by the time I get the money together

I'd buy the kit from ya.

#13868 5 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

I'd buy the kit from ya.

I’m just going to hang on to it. I’m an inventory type guy by nature anyway. I’ll just spec out the pieces when I’m bored and learn to make them at work (plus side of being a CNC machinist)

#13869 5 years ago
Quoted from JB-7X:

Not for the install but a pro tip to be sure you are listening to her ramblings now if you weren't before. Pay her back buy an equally thoughtful gift for her next birthday. Happy wife = happy life I'm also lucky that mine loves the pinball collection aspect too (not so much playing though).

Congrats on the color dmd!

#13870 5 years ago
Quoted from JB-7X:

This morning my wife totally surprised me for my birthday and gave me the color dmd for my MET premium that I’ve been wanting forever. The fact that she was able to find where to get it and get the right one without really knowing much about my hobby just blew me away. I guess she does listen when I ramble on about this stuff. I don’t get surprised very often but this was one of those times!
Can’t wait for the work day to be over so I can get it installed. This is the last add on I wanted before considering my game complete.

I just can't imagine MeT without a colordmd now......

Rob

#13871 5 years ago

Does anyone have any info on where Stern is at with the new Premiums being shipped out to distributors? In the beginning of June I paid in full for a Premium and Still have no idea on when I'll get it. I'm patient and I know Stern is busy but I was just wondering if they have sent any out yet at all or if someone knows when they expect to.

#13872 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Not for the install but a pro tip to be sure you are listening to her ramblings now if you weren't before. Pay her back buy an equally thoughtful gift for her next birthday. Happy wife = happy life I'm also lucky that mine loves the pinball collection aspect too (not so much playing though).
Congrats on the color dmd!

This. Always this!

She’s the only person I go out of my way to please. Everyone else can kick rocks.

#13873 5 years ago
Quoted from shelby1000:

Does anyone have any info on where Stern is at with the new Premiums being shipped out to distributors? In the beginning of June I paid in full for a Premium and Still have no idea on when I'll get it. I'm patient and I know Stern is busy but I was just wondering if they have sent any out yet at all or if someone knows when they expect to.

That's a question best for your distributor. I say this because if they were building some right now (which I don't think they are) it would also depend on your distributors agreement with Stern. They could be last in line for instance.

#13874 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Just get the guitar pic MOD that zene10 makes...it looks great and works perfectly to see those upper lanes that the 3D snake MOD hides.

Back in stock

Mod - For Sale
New (selling multiple, business) - “Dirty Donny guitar pick lights for better visibility of upper rollover lane indicators. Pingraffix Snake mod (2D or 3D) blocks the view of the upper rollover lane lights.  These...”
2018-12-01
Tucson, AZ
Archived after: 44 days
Viewed: 298 times

also fangs

Mod - For Sale
New (selling multiple, business) - “For $7 bucks (domestic shipping included) I'll send you everything you need to add them to your snake. There's nothing magic about this. You can readily find the components yourse...”
2018-09-14
Tucson, AZ
7 (Firm)
Archived after: 107 days
Viewed: 351 times

#13875 5 years ago

The switch was as closed as it was going to get with a ball in the mouth, so that leads me to believe the switch is going bad. It seems like a fairly crappy microswitch which doesn't have a good 'click' when it closes/opens. I have a replacement, switch, but the arm cannot be transferred from the old switch so I will have to make a new one.

Rob

#13876 5 years ago
Quoted from shelby1000:

I am in the same boat, wait mode... I have a feeling August. This was the estimated month for this last run back before spring. I got my hopes up it was gonna be sooner.

#13877 5 years ago

If you hear something then please let me know if you don't mind. I've got a lot of money tied up waiting for an MI Refinery Premium and would like to have an idea on when I can expect it. I can wait if its going to be August or September even. I'm definitely going to wait as I love Metallica but I just wanted to make sure that they are indeed going to be made again. It sounds like they are just a matter of when.

#13878 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

The switch was as closed as it was going to get with a ball in the mouth, so that leads me to believe the switch is going bad. It seems like a fairly crappy microswitch which doesn't have a good 'click' when it closes/opens. I have a replacement, switch, but the arm cannot be transferred from the old switch so I will have to make a new one.
Rob

The switch was replaced, all is good now.

Rob

#13879 5 years ago

Fixed my intermittent snake eject switch detection issue last night. It ended up being a combination of bending the physical switch and re-soldering the white-blue wire. It's those double issues that always take me the longest to solve.

#13880 5 years ago

Anyone have any tips on the easiest way to hit the mystery hole? It is extremely rare that I ever do hit it, but the only way that I have been able to is to launch the ball, let it roll down and hit the left flipper while it's in the down position which bounces it up and to the right into the hole. My second method is to flip the ball right off of the very tip of the left flipper. I earn extra ball at least 2 times every game that I play, yet I can never seem to collect them most times. Super frustrating.

#13881 5 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Anyone have any tips on the easiest way to hit the mystery hole? It is extremely rare that I ever do hit it, but the only way that I have been able to is to launch the ball, let it roll down and hit the left flipper while it's in the down position which bounces it up and to the right into the hole. My second method is to flip the ball right off of the very tip of the left flipper. I earn extra ball at least 2 times every game that I play, yet I can never seem to collect them most times. Super frustrating.

It just takes practice. Shoot from the tip of the left flipper like you are already doing, just gotta find that sweet spot.

#13882 5 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Here is a basic tip. If you have EB lit but are only one or two shots away from MB, take the MB. Quite often the EB will be randomly collected during the MB.

#13883 5 years ago

Yeah, I think you just have to practice shooting it from the tip of the left flipper. It's low, but certainly a shot that can be made.

#13884 5 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Here is a basic tip. If you have EB lit but are only one or two shots away from MB, take the MB. Quite often the EB will be randomly collected during the MB.

Agreed, I have collected a few times that way also in the past but it's been awhile.

#13885 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Yeah, I think you just have to practice shooting it from the tip of the left flipper. It's low, but certainly a shot that can be made.

Most times when I do attempt it that way, the ball hits the right side stopping it's momentum and either goes SDTM or gets caught in the slings risking a side drain so I end up nudging it out of trouble lol

#13886 5 years ago

I'm sure this is a "Captain Obvious" comment, but if you are hitting the right side from the left flipper you're hitting it too late. I still think that shooting it from the left flipper is the best option. Sure you might luck into it while in multiball, but you want to practice that shot in single ball mode to be able to collect those multiballs and start Crank It Up. Perhaps it's a high risk, high reward shot...but at least there is the high reward there.

#13887 5 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

If you keep missing with the tip of the flipper, just let the ball hit the left sling a few times. It will end up in the mystery hole before long.

#13888 5 years ago

I just try to cradle the ball and focus on hitting the shot right off the end of the flipper. Sometimes it feels easier to shoot the scoop when the ball is moving. Shooting the left ramp and then the scoop sometimes works for me. I have been able to back hand it but that is tricky. You have to get the ball up on the flipper to do that.

#13889 5 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

let it roll down and hit the left flipper while it's in the down position which bounces it up and to the right into the hole.

Along with the other suggestions, it is possible that your flippers are adjusted too high. On my game it’s tough to hit, but possible with a good shot. But if you’re finding it impossible from the very end of the flipper, I’d adjust them down a bit. It’s your game, and it should be possible (but tough) to hit the shots.

#13890 5 years ago

What are your average scores when you play the game? Not your great games or high scores but your average score. I just got this game and need to figure out scoring but I feel I am the worst player ever!!!,

#13891 5 years ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

What are your average scores when you play the game? Not your great games or high scores but your average score. I just got this game and need to figure out scoring but I feel I am the worst player ever!!!,

I suck still and I can consistantly get to about 70mil. 90 on a good day.
Good players will bank that in one crank it up though.

#13892 5 years ago

Can vary widely for me...but 10 million is bad, 30 million is decent, 60 million is good, 80 million is great, 100 million is tits, and 150 million winning the pot. I have got 270 million once. I’m sure others are much better, but I have a blast playing it!

#13893 5 years ago

Beginner things to note. Combos and Coffin hurryups are easy points that I wasnt getting in the beginning. Learning the point system takes a long time but makes sense eventually and then the points start coming

#13894 5 years ago

This is some must watch stuff for any MET beginners out there.

I've been playing for a couple of months now and my GC score is still only 343MM. I watched the video the other day and actually took away a couple of things I hadn't learnt on my own. That being when you start multiball hitting the 4 pick targets lights the snake for an add-a-ball. I knew there was an add-a-ball to all the multi-balls but I didn't know how I was getting it. Now that I know how to do it I actually focus on it whenever I start my multi-ball. The other thing I picked up was how to start the hurry-up, again I knew I was getting hurry ups but I wasn't doing it intentionally. Learning how to do that intentionally will allow you to collect your items faster and get into Crank It Up faster. All the points are in Crank It Up.

I know this game is 5 years old but for those who have just picked it up (Like me!) this is an awesome video.

#13895 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

That being when you start multiball hitting the 4 pick targets lights the snake for an add-a-ball. I knew there was an add-a-ball to all the multi-balls but I didn't know how I was getting it.

That also gives you double scoring So with that, and double scoring at FUEL, welcome to the “Jack F**king Pot” club! Best call out in the game.

#13896 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

That also gives you double scoring So with that, and double scoring at FUEL, welcome to the “Jack F**king Pot” club! Best call out in the game.

That explains his comment in the video where he mentions a good call out for 4x... I've heard the call out a number of times but once again hadn't figured out why I was getting it. I knew FUEL gave me 2X so I try and start multi-ball when that is running, but now even more reason to shoot those pick targets during MB. Great game!

#13897 5 years ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

I just hit the flashing lights and rack up the points!

#13898 5 years ago
Quoted from FuryosJustin:

Altho, these points I rack up are not very much.
Disappointed with under 20mil
Satisfied with 50-60, very happy with 100+. Also happy if I get a crank it up.

#13899 5 years ago
Quoted from FuryosJustin:

Solid advice!!

#13900 5 years ago

Looking for advise or technique for avoiding / preventing drains in the left outlane. I seem to have a number of bounces from that metal divider in the inlane directly into the outlane. I'm just not used to nudging when the ball is looking to be heading away from the outlane, but then takes such a direct exit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 25.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 21,663 posts in this topic. You are on page 278 of 434.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/278?hl=atrain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.